Chapter 26

Waltz of a Comet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

Days have past and Sehun got better. He took it slowly so he didn’t have that many shifts at the café than before, but he obediently attended at every practice they had. It was Thursday and he was sitting next to his mother’s bed in her hospital room. He tucked her in, checked the room temperature and made sure she was comfortable.

“You don’t mind I fall asleep, do you?” Mrs Oh asked his son in a hoarse and tired voice.

“It’s okay mom. It’s already 9 PM. I’m sure you’re sleepy.” He nodded and stood up, looking around what to do next. He stuffed the old pajamas in his bag. Later at home he’ll put them in the washing machine, then he put the new ones in the hospital wardrobe; he washed his mother’s mug, fixed the curtain, and cut a few slices of apple for her.

“Thank you Honey. How’s your summer? Dancing? Parties? Tell me funny stories.” She giggled softly. She was sad that his son has to come to her almost every day to make sure she’s okay. Sehun was a great child. Of course he can be a bit naughty, but, he has been always a big help to their parents.

Sehun was quiet for a moment. These past weeks weren’t about dancing or anything else besides working, doing the chores at home and visiting her. “It’s good.” He said. “The choreography is really cool. You’ll see it. We have so much fun at rehearsals. We also go to parties. You know… Doing teenage things.”

“That’s fantastic! I’m glad you have fun. Sorry for the burden. I didn’t mean to ruin your holiday. You can visit me less.”

“God, mom, no. I have fun. It’s not a burden.” He couldn’t look her in the eyes.

Visiting her wasn’t a burden to him. The burden was all the work around the house, and at the café. However, how could he say this or even think about this? His friends’ nagging to go with them all the time was also a burden. Nevertheless, he really enjoyed these few hours he could spend with his mother.

“I love you Mom.” he let those words roll from his mouth in the softest way.

“I love you too, Sweetie.” She mumbled. She was slowly falling asleep so Sehun her hand and smiled at her.

 

Half an hour later his father arrived from work. He greeted Sehun and looked at her sleeping wife. He shook his head and took off his jacket.

“Have you eaten?”

“Yeah. Also, I brought you some soup. I put it in the cupboard.”

“Okay. Is everything all right at home? I was there before but only for a few minutes so I didn’t have a chance to look around.”

“Everything is fine. I cleaned up, did the dishes, watered the plants.” Sehun reassured his father.

“Fine. I left money in the top drawer in my nightstand. Do the shopping and cook yourself something. Also pay the bills please.” he told his son firmly.

“Okay. I brought you fresh clothes.” He handed him a bag.

“Thank you, Son. You can leave. Go home and get some sleep.”

Sehun stood up, grabbed his backpack and turned to the door when his dad called out his name. He turned his head to his direction.

“Your grandmother’s coming next weekend. She’ll stay for a while to help us. Make sure the guest room is clean. Change the sheets for her.”

“Okay. I will.” He politely bowed to his father and left the hospital room and let out a dispirited sigh.

He liked his grandmother, but she was a critical old lady. She always criticizes her mother and the house. She always finds a dirty spot on the cupboard or a wrinkled shirt her mother hasn’t had time to iron. He was afraid he has to listen all the complaints she has about her sick mother.

He shook his head to clear his mind and checked his phone. It was on mute so he didn’t see the many missed calls and messages. He had a voicemail from Baekhyun so he decided to listen that first.

“Yah! Where are you? You not coming? Everybody is here. Even Halley. You missed the surprise, but you can still make it to the cake. Hurry up, dickhead.”

He froze. He forgot it was Halley’s birthday today. . They planned a surprise party for her at Minseok’s café. He checked the time. It was 10 PM. The party started at 6 because everyone has work or other occupation the next morning. They might have left home by now. Or not? He dialed Baekhyun but he didn’t answer. Neither Chanyeol or Jongin.

He ran down the streets to the bus stop. There’s a bus that leaves at 10.15. He caught a glimpse of an old lady nearby. She was selling jewelry and little stuff like snow globes and small plush toys. Yes. He forgot to buy her a present too. Great. This is his last chance. He strolled in that direction and made a sudden stop in front of the lady.

“Can I help you, young man?” She curiously examined the boy in front of her.

Sehun was out of breath. He didn’t have much time until the bus leaves. “I… need… birthday… gift.”

“What kind of gift? For a boy or a girl?”

“Girl. She is my friend, and I forgot her birthday because I’m such an awful friend.” He cried out and grabbed his aching side.

“Oh darling. I’m sure you aren’t. Does this friend of yours like jewelry? Maybe a nice necklace? Or a bracelet? I give you a discount so you can choose three charms.”

Sehun chose a bracelet and looked through the pendants and found a star, a pair of ballet shoes and a music note. He was happy with his choice because he thought it will really suit Halley. The star for her name, okay it’s not a comet, but kind of; the ballet shoes for her love for dancing and the music note symbolizes the music. Because she dances to music. Right? Yes. Perfect gift. He paid and thanked the lady and started running to the bus stop. He arrived just in time, hopped on the bus which takes him near the café.

When he arrived at his stop, he saw a bakery that was open and ran in. He bought a few cupcakes, and they even had candles so he bought candles too. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter