Chapter 21

Waltz of a Comet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

Halley was running down the street with incredible speed. She caught a cab and told the driver to take her to Yonsei Severance Hospital. She checked her phone and sent a message. She was worried and felt her body shivering in fear. Hopefully nothing serious has happened. When the cab reached the hospital, she quickly paid the driver then jumped out of the vehicle. She rushed towards the reception desk and asked about the patient she came to visit. The receptionist gave her the directions, so she ran to the elevator, got in and pressed the button of the 8th floor. Her breath came in short gasps from all the running and anxiety. She checked which floor she was on and annoyance washed over her. The elevator dragged itself way too slowly.

Finally, she reached her floor and got out. She trailed down the alley and looked for the right door. She let out a relieved sigh when she noticed Sehun.

“Are you okay?” she asked when she reached him. “What happened?”

Sehun looked up at her slowly. “I don’t know.” his face grew vague. “We were having dinner when she suddenly choked on her saliva and then she was gasping for air. She was better after a few minutes but then suddenly fell down the chair and lost her consciousness.” Tears were filling up his eyes as he looked at Halley with trembling lips. “I’m sorry I called you, but I panicked and couldn’t think properly and you just popped in my mind.” The fat tears escaped his eyes and made their way down his face.

Halley’s heart clenched at the sight. She didn’t think twice, she hugged Sehun and caressed his back to console him. “It’s okay. She’s in good hands. They will treat her and she’ll be okay.”

Sehun quietly cried on Halley’s shoulders. His mother is his everything. He loves her more than anyone else in the world. He couldn’t even imagine what would he do without her. And now… Here they are again at the hospital. She’s sick again and he couldn’t even reach his father to tell him. He was angry. He couldn't protect her. He failed as a son. His agonizing thoughts were cut off when Halley called him.

“Would you like a coffee or something?” she asked him gently. They sat down on the bench and were waiting for the doctor to come and tell them what’s going on with Sehun’s mother.

“Yes. A coffee sounds good.” He offered her a flat smile.

Halley stood up and went to find a vending machine. She reached another alley and found what she came for. She leaned against the wall as she let out an exasperated sigh. She’s just took her family to the station when Sehun called her, telling her that his mother had fainted and they took her to the hospital. She didn’t hesitate to catch a cab and came here to be with Sehun. At times like this they put apart their ill feelings towards each other.

“. I forgot about Yixing.” She groaned, fished out her phone and dialed his number. After 3 rings, he answered a halo to her. “Hey. It’s Halley.” She said softly. “I’m really sorry, but something urgent came up. I can’t make it today.”

“Oh. Are you okay?”

“Yes.” She answered quickly. “I make it up to you, I promise. But I have to go now, I’m really sorry Yixing.”

“Okay, okay, don’t worry. Take care.” He tried to sound normal, but she could feel the sadness in his tone.

“Yeah. Bye.”

 

She bought two Americano, one for Sehun and one for herself, then went back and saw Sehun conversing with the doctor. She waited until they finished talking, then gave the coffee to Sehun. “What did he say?”

“She has pneumonia again. She has to stay here for a few days so they can check up on her. Right now she’s okay and sleeping.” he answered in a flat, monotone voice.

“Thank God.” she sipped on her coffee and sat down.

Sehun sat down next to her and fidgeted with the cup in his hands. “Hyesu.” he whispered out her name.

“Yes?”

“Thank you for coming.” his head was down, and he didn’t dare to look at her. He felt a bit ashamed. They're always fighting and yet he couldn’t think of anyone else to call.

“It’s nothing.” she smiled at him. She knew it was hard for him to tell her this, so she really appreciated it.

 

Sehun went in the room to check up on his mother. Halley saw through the window as he tucked her in, the air purifier and poured her a glass of water. He sat down next to her bed on a chair and took her hand in his, caressing it soothingly.

“Hyesung-ah?”

There aren’t many people who call her Hyesung. She turned to the direction of the low, husky voice. Upon seeing Sehun’s father, a cold shiver ran down her spine. She stood up and bowed to him politely.

“Good evening, Mr Oh.”

“Are you here with my son?” he asked in a cold manner. Halley nodded.

“Yes sir. He’s in the room with Mrs Oh.”

He peeked through the small window on the door and cleared his throat. “How is your mother? Grandparents?”

“They are fine, sir. Thank you for asking.” Halley felt awkward with Sehun’s father. She really liked his mother though. They spent pleasant times together when she was a child. But his father was always cold.

“Then...” He pointed at the door, Halley nodded and he headed in.

She didn’t want to eavesdrop but could hear when Mr Oh scolded Sehun for not taking care of her mother. She shifted in her chair, feeling uneasy. Even the hospital smell made her feel light-headed.

“You should help her more. She’s your goddamn mother, Sehun. You’re always out dancing and partying. You should find a job so you can help with the expenses. Do you know how expensive is this hospital? I have to stay at work late, every damn night so we can pay for the expenses.”

“So what? Would it be easier for you if she dies?”

Halley gasped when she heard the loud smack. Sehun darted out of the room and with his long legs he started down the white corridor, Halley quickly trailing behind him. She called after him, but he ignored her each time. When they exited the building Halley finally reached him, grabbed his arm and turned him around to face her.

“Sehun.”

The sunlight shone down on them, but Sehun didn’t feel a bit of warmth. The anger and his father’s slap colored his face bright red. On the side of his lips Halley noticed a small bloodstain.

“I hate him!” he shouted out of his lungs. “I do everything I can but it’s not enough for him. It would be easier for them if I just disappear from the world.” his voice cracked at the end of the sentence.

“Hey. No no no. Don’t say things like that.” she cupped his face gently and made him look her in the eyes. “I’m here, okay? Everything is going to be fine.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter