Chapter 22

Waltz of a Comet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

In the past days Kris has been acting, well… Let’s say a tiny bit strange. At first he’s just smiled more, which was unusual. Then he started humming pop songs and dancing in the rooms, while cooking or doing the chores. Then he was singing every song what came to his mind.

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me haaappy – he sing-sang in the kitchen in his low voice while making sandwiches.

“Oh my God. Your voice is like nails on a chalkboard.” Halley covered her ears and flinched.

“You’re just jealous because I’m handsome, smart, can dance and sing as well.” he turned around proudly and nodded.

“What’s gotten into you?”

“What do you mean?” He asked innocently.

“This.” Halley pointed at the scene in front of her. “Singing and stuff.”

“I don’t know what are you talking about Moonlight. I’m always like this.”

Upon hearing his statement, Halley snorted. Kris stepped to the fridge to get a bottle of water, put the bottle on the table and pecked the top of Halley’s head. Yeah. He is definitely not like this, but she couldn’t imagine what had happened that turned him crazy. Kris placed a plate in front of her and signaled her to eat the sandwich, with a huge and idiot grin plastered on his usually cold face.

 

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

 

On Monday they had practice and Kris also visited the group. He had to talk to Mihawk about a future project and had a bit of paperwork. He likes doing his work while enjoying the practice. Before they ended their dance session, Kris was conversing with the choreographer, so Halley sneaked next to Jongin and whispered to his ear.

“I think something happened to Kris.”

“What do you mean?” Jongin raised an eyebrow.

“I don’t know. He’s singing and humming all day. Last night he was singing the Shark song. He hates the Shark song. He’s smiling like an idiot. He’s always on his phone, texting, even when he’s working, and I noticed a few times he’s blushed. Oh! And I heard him talking extremely gently to someone on the phone. His voice was very affectionate.” she shook her head in disbelief.

Jongin peeked at Kris and thought for a second. “Do you think he has a girlfriend?” he came up with the impossible idea.

“No way.” Chanmi jumped in the conversation. “He doesn’t have time for girlfriends.” she pouted.

“He doesn’t have time for you as a girlfriend.” Hyejeong added. “You were stupid enough to ask him out.” she lightly smacked the younger’s head to which Chanmi yelped a little.

“Wait, you asked him out?” Baekhyun laughed out silently.

Chanmi punched him in the arm. “Why? He’s hot and totally boyfriend material.”

“Maybe, but you’re definitely not girlfriend material.” Baekhyun mockingly pinched her side.

“Yah! You’re so rude, you jerk!” she reprimanded him and slapped his arm. Baekhyun just laughed it off. He loved teasing his friends.

“See? That’s what I’m talking about.” Halley cut in and pointed at Kris.

Everyone gaped. The manly man Kris Wu, jumping like a school girl after class. That’s definitely weird. Kris didn’t see his confused friends. He fished out his phone and started texting to someone. When he got a reply, he smiled at his phone lovingly, then shifted his attention back to Mihawk and gave him a paper.

“We should find out what’s with him.” Halley eagerly suggested.

“But how?” Jongin frowned. “Should we spy on him or something?”

“Yes that’s a great plan D!” Baekhyun clapped and smiled impishly then continued. “What are the first three?”

“Why don’t you ask him?” Yixing recommended an easy solution, but Halley shook her head.

“I did ask him. He dodged my questions.” she let out a sigh.

“We should follow him.” Hyejeong advised excitedly, stomping her feet.

“I think we can safely say that out of all your plans you’ve ever come up with, this one is the most stupid.” Baekhyun snorted at Hyejeong.

“Out of all people, I presumed you’ll find this amazingly exciting.” Chanmi looked at him incredulously.

“I’m not that childish.”

His statement caused everybody laugh.

Yuna and Lay shook their heads. Halley, Hyejeong, Chanmi and Jongin agreed on following Kris after their practice. Halley had sent a message to Chanyeol to let him know about their genius plan and of course Chanyeol gladly joined the team.

Halley noticed Sehun at the corner. He was fidgeting with his phone, silently. He didn’t join their conversation earlier and didn’t even look at them.

“What’s with you too? You’re too quiet. That’s weird.” She stuck out her tongue when Sehun shot her a glance.

The other just shrugged and lowered his head. “Nothing.”

Halley stepped closer to him so their friends couldn’t hear them. “So? Is your mother feeling better?” she asked softly. They haven’t talked since their sleepover. On that morning Sehun had woken up early, had breakfast with Kris and quickly left. He didn’t even wait for Halley to wake up.

A flush appeared on her face when Sehun locked eyes with her.

“Yeah. She’s doing great. She doesn’t have a fever now. They’ll discharge her around Friday.” he replied and sent a smile at her direction. “Thanks for asking.”

“That’s great. I’m glad.” An awkward silence engulfed them. “So… Would you like to come with us? We’re going to spy on Kris.” She scratched her nape.

“I can’t. Sorry.” He shook his head apologetically. “I’m visiting my mom.”

She nodded. “Okay. Say hi to her for me.” she reassuringly patted Sehun’s arm and walked back to her friends.

 

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

 

So here they were, in front of the Dance Studio, waiting for Kris to leave already. After like twenty minutes Kris exited the building, got in his car and sped up. The kids hopped in Jongin’s car and followed the man. After 10 minutes of driving, Kris pulled over at a jewelry shop. They got out of Jongin’s car and ran towards the shop. They peeked through the glass window and saw Kris browsing through the men’s watches.

“He came here to buy a watch for himself?” Chanyeol tilted his head to the side. The girls shrugged.

“If it’s for him, why do they put it in a gift box?” Jongin pointed at Kris.

The shop keeper put an expensive Rolex watch in a fancy navy blue box with a ribbon. They caught sight of Kris paying and turning around to leave the shop so they quickly ran back to their car.

They had been following him for a while, but they didn’t notice anything suspicious. He went to the bank, then to his family’s law firm. Eventually they gave up their totally spies game. Jongin sped up and drove to Kris’ apartment. They were debating on whether the watch was for him, his father or someone else. Halley made popcorn, and they chose a movie to watch while they’re waiting for Kris to come home.

When poor Kris arrived home in the evening, he met five pairs of curious eyes. He asked them what they wanted but they didn’t utter a word, just shared knowing looks. Later, they noticed little things like he would be talking with somebody on his phone, while grinning like a little boy, he would be texting to someone with the same grin, he would make a heart shape with ketchup on his slice of pizza during dinner. Yes. That was the sign they waited for. Kris is definitely dating someone. They just have to find out who is the lucky lady.

 

The following days, Kris’ house became their headquarters. They were always there, every evening. The boys were watching tv or playing Xbox, while the girls were gossiping, painting their nails and watching dance videos.

“Should I buy more mattress?” Kris raised his eyebrows as he was watching Jongin and Chanyeol playing, while the girls were preparing dinner. “You’re living here now?”

“You’re acting like I haven’t done this before. Last year I even had a drawer in your room for my clothes.” Chanyeol giggled then let out an animal like shriek when Jongin scored a point in their game.

Kris let out a sigh and excused himself as he left to his study. Soon after the doorbell rang. Halley opened the door and Junmyeon stood there and waved at her. He came to meet Kris, so Halley let him know where he could find him. He thanked her and led his way to Kris’ office.

“By the way, I’m positive he has a girlfriend.” Jongin stated.

“You’re delusional. We would know if he had dated someone.” Hyejeong retorted.

“Why? I have a girlfriend and you didn’t know.” Jongin shrugged, the other looked at him shocked. Chanmi smacked his head and Jongin yelped in pain.

“What?” Hyejeong snapped at him. “I thought we’re friends and talk about everything.”

“For how long?” Halley asked.

“About two weeks.”

“Buddy!” Chanyeol shouted. “You don’t tell the girls okay, I got it, but come on! You didn’t even tell me? Like we’re living togeth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter