Chapter 20

Waltz of a Comet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

☾ ⋆ ☆⋆ ✨ ⋆ ☄ ⋆ ✨ ⋆☆ ⋆ ☽

Jongin, Chanyeol, Lay, Chanmi and Halley were busy decorating the garden at Kris' parents’ house since 9AM. Halley’s family is arriving at 1PM to celebrate Hosung’s birthday. Jongin had blown up at least 30 colorful balloons then arranged them in the garden, and hung a large happy birthday sign over the fence. Chanyeol hung up the pinata and had hoarded the tables and chairs to the garden, Chanmi and Halley along with Lay were busy setting the garden tables after making a ton of kimbaps and side dishes.

Presents were waiting to be open up on a table, beverages, snacks and cupcakes were sitting on the next table. Mrs Wu was busy making the birthday cake while Mr Wu marinated the meat for the barbecue (and annoyed her beloved wife). Kris was on his way to the station to fetch Halley’s family.

“Halley darling. Can you come in and taste the cream?  I tasted it so many times now I only feel the sugar nothing else.” Mrs Wu chimed with a spoon in her hand.

“Yes auntie. I’m coming.” she placed a crystal bowl on the table and skipped inside the kitchen.

She let out a chuckle as she saw how her aunt has whipped cream on her face and all over the cupboard. The crust of the cake scattered all over the floor and icing were dripping from the bowls. A thankful smile plastered on Halley’s face. Her aunt doesn't really cook or bake, so it was heartwarming to see her trying hard to make something for her nephew. Halley stepped closer and dipped her finger in the buttery cream and tasted it. She grinned at her nervous aunt and reassured her it’s indeed delicious.

“Is it really?” she mimicked Halley’s motion. “Can you feel the essence of almond and vanilla?”

“Suuuure. It's amazing.” she exaggerated and patted her aunt’s shoulder.

“I don’t know how am I going to decorate it.” she let out a tired sigh as she scanned her work.

She is a famous and successful lawyer. She is a mastermind and can beat everyone in her field, yet a simple birthday cake beats her.

“Baking isn't my style.” she puckered into an annoyed pout.

Hailey laughed upon hearing the famous quote. It was Kris saying too and he had learnt it from her mother.

“Mina loves baking. She's here soon maybe she can help you out.” she timidly patted her shoulder.

“I’d really appreciate that.” Halley can saw the relief on her face.

“What's the point of decorating the cake if we eat it anyways?” Mr Wu danced around his wife with saucy hands.  

If one could see them right now, no one would think that those two people are successful and intimidating lawyers. Their nickname is the Wu Sharks because they got their prey at court and maul them as sharks in the ocean. Nevertheles, Kris dad likes to joke around and sing the shark song like as his wife is the mommy shark, he is the daddy shark, and Kris is the baby shark. Apart from his silly side he can be more than strict when it’s work related. He sent Kris to study abroad when he was 17. No opposition allowed. He has to help out in the family business since he's 18 and had came back from the States and he didn't let Kris following his dream to become a dancer. Fortunately, they’re well off so he could open the studio. His father thought it could be a good job experience.

“Let me see this fabulous filling.” Mr Wu washed the sauce off his hands, hopped over and dipped his finger in the cream. “Hmmmm.” He closed his eyes as he the white cream off his finger and smiled at her wife. “Absolutely delicious. I can even feel the happines of that cow which had given the milk.” He teased and Mrs Wu punched him in the arm.

He went back to his bowl chuckling and winked at Halley. Mrs Wu sighed and started filling the cream in the cake. Mina arrived just in time to help with the decoration, so Halley went back to the garden.

The guest list, apart from the family members, consisted the bestie group and Junmyeon. Everyone was present except Sehun. Jongin tried to call him, but he hasn’t answered his phone. He sent him a message to remind him to come.

 

An hour later Halley’s family arrived. She greeted her grandparents and mother, then gave a peck on the cheek to Hosung.

“Happy birthday little one.” She ruffled his hair to which he whined a little.

“Happy birthday buddy.” Chanyeol high-fived Hosung.

“Thank you!” he was grinning at them happily.

He already had a small birthday celebration with his friends back in Busan, still he was glad to celebrate with his family. Especially with his older sister. Hosung loved Halley. They were really close, and good siblings, despite their age difference. When Halley is in Seoul Hosung tends to be sad. It is one of the reason their mother doesn’t really want Halley to live in Seoul so soon. She knows that Halley is almost an adult and she has to let her decide what she wants to do with her life. But as a parent it was difficult to acknowledge the fact that your child grew up.

Mr Wu brought the meat and started grilling, Mrs Wu helped her mother and father to sit down and brought a tray with glasses. He offered one to each guest and asked the kids to help pouring champagne to t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter