Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (Satzu)

Fire Escape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N - Another more depressing story. I’d recommend having a listen to the song: Empty Chairs at Empty Tables - it is the song put in the story.

 

Don’t usually like songfics but I enjoyed this one :)

 

Empty Chairs at Empty Tables (Satzu)

 

Tzuyu’s hands were shaking as she attempted to tie her tie correctly. To say she was nervous was an understatement, she was petrified. It felt almost like it had when she was a teenager and her step dad knew she’d snuck out. The calm before the inevitable storm. Tzuyu hadn’t been able to face her work friends since they lost Mark, she felt guilty for everything that had happened that day. Afraid that when she finally faced them that they would repeat what Dahyun had said. That she had ‘murdered’ Mark. Before she could spiral further warm hands removed her own from her tie, completing the look of Tzuyu’s formal police uniform. Sana kissed her softly, for reassurance.

 

There’s a grief that can’t be spoken,

There’s a pain goes on and on,

 

Sana knew today would be difficult and that she couldn’t say anything to make it better. For once there was no comedy, no group, no drama - just Sana, Tzuyu and a funeral. Sana had taken a modest black dress, unlike her usual short cut dresses that left nothing to the imagination. That’s not what today was about, for Tzuyu it was about attempting to make things up to Mark and for Sana it was to hopefully give Tzuyu closure. The trip to the memorial at the police station took eons. At least that’s how both of the cars inhabitants felt. As they walked in Police Commissioner Seolhyun walked up to greet them.

 

Empty chairs at empty tables,

Now my friends are dead and gone,

 

She told Tzuyu that if she wanted to come back and do desk work until she had recovered she was welcome too. Tzuyu couldn’t remember how she had responded and soon broke away from both women who were discussing something the younger girl didn’t care about. She walked into the cafeteria, completely vacant. No smells of food, no mass amounts of chatter, just silence. Nobody but Tzuyu there. Apparently after the shooting there had been noticeably fewer officers there.

 

Here they talked of revolution,

Here it was they lit the flame,

 

Mark had always been a firebrand, he had campeigned once for cupcakes to be complementary for officers. He was a great speaker, owning the type of charisma that people couldn’t help but fall for. Mark had once told them that he decided to become a police officer after having a school trip to this precinct. He had claimed he had wanted to be just as brave and strong as all the men he had seen here that day. His dedication had made him a truly fantastic officer.

 

Here they sang about tomorrow,

 

He had been going on about his exam to become a Sergeant - like he’d always dreamed. And when his mother had opened his results he had passed!

 

And tomorrow never came,

 

But he wasn’t around to celebrate his achievement.

 

From the table in the corner,

They could see a world reborn,

 

Most officers hated the sudden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter