It Is My Duty: Kim Bum

I Remember You, Oppa

Yoo Ye Eun.  Yennie.  My best friend.  My dongsaeng.  What can I say?  Not only is she my best friend, she's my responsibility.  I met Yennie in Seoul's big hospital.  I guess I've known Mr. and Mrs. Yoo all my life since they're my neighbors.  I just never knew they had a daughter.  One night Mrs. Yoo knocked at my family's door and asked to talk with me and my parents.  She said that her daughter is here but got hit by a car.  She is in a hospital and the doctors say that Ye Eun may have lost part of her memory.  I would say the entire story but it pains me knowing that Yennie had to go through all of that.  Mrs. Yoo told me that I would have to play someone that I am not.  I am to play Yennie's best friend since we were born.  She also said that its a big responsibility and that she won't trust anyone else but me.  I felt pretty big and important so I agreed to this and I would go to the hospital the next day.

The next day, I didn't feel so big and important.  I walked into the room and I saw this frail tiny girl with semi wavy-curly chestnut colored hair, pale tiny face, wide blank eyes, and expressionless face stare at Mrs. Yoo and me.  Mrs. Yoo carefully talked to Yennie as if Yennie had some sort of mental disability.  Yennie just seemed to blankly stare at me.  I felt very uncomfortable.  I thought that this girl would at least have some sort of emotion when an unknown boy her age waltzed into the room.  But no; literally her face was blank as a blank piece of white paper.  I wanted to back out from my agreement but I remembered the things Yennie had to go through so I remained patient.  I wanted to give this girl a chance.  I think in that one week, Yennie never gave ME a chance.  She seemed to not want my company.  So I would go to the hospital at noon and leave at 3 with almost no progress.  Until one day...

It was Yennie's last day in the hospital so I decided I'd bring a tiny cake to share in celebration of her being in good health again.  I knocked and opened the door slowly.  Then suddenly, WHOOSH!  The door swung open and I fell with my face plunging into the small cake.  It appeared that Yennie could now walk since her cast has been removed.  She wanted to walk and open the door personally.  I think she felt bad because she kept repeated "I'm sorry!  I'm sorry!  I didn't mean it!  I didn't know!"  I told her it was okay but seeing my face covered in cream, she laughed.  She had the most cutest laugh I ever heard.  It was a soft twinkling sound but not like an annoying fairy like TinkerBell when she laughed.  No, this laugh was something I never heard.  I feel as though a dark cave has finally been exposed to the open light and completely enlightened to the point that it would not want to return to dark ever.  I'm always trying to keep Yennie away from dark.  Away, never to return to the dark and always smiling and laughing in the light.