My Return to Daegu

I Remember You, Oppa

I was happy for Yennie.  She has a great guy and great future ahead of her.  I made the stupidest mistake ever, I hope she forgave me.  I saw several time after that but not often as I hoped.  I would say hi to her and such but I still felt awkward with her.  I think it was best if I just went home.  After all, all I wanted to do was go to Seoul and find Yennie.  My goal was to be with her and tell her that I’m her brother.  I did that.  Now I’m going home.  I considered staying but I think I’ll return home for the time being.  Maybe in 2 years or in our final year in High School I’ll come back for that one year.  But I’m done in Seoul for now.  I wanted to go back home.  I packed after school.  I ordered a ticket for tomorrow’s departure on the bullet train.  Yennie…  Live well.  Oppa will return another day.  I’m sorry for making things awkward.  Be happy with Kim Bum because he loves you and I know he’ll treat you well.  Kim Bum, take good care of her.  Siwon, live strong as well.  Jiyeon, don’t give up.  Always keep you head high, like you always do.

The forecast predicted a storm for tomorrow, so right after school I grabbed my bags and left the apartment.  I told my land lord that I was returning to Daegu and that there was little furniture left.  I also told him that when my sister and or any of her friends come, give them the key because they might want the furniture there.  I grabbed a cab and it took me to the train station.  I gave in my ticket and boarded the bullet train.  I was feeling a little down.  Not to mention a little hesitant to leave Seoul without giving Yennie a last goodbye.  I didn’t even see her off at the hospital.  The last thing I heard about Yennie was that she and Kim Bum were finally in a relationship.  I felt happy for her, truly.  I probably was sad because she’s set without me.  But it didn’t matter now.  I just hoped that she’ll always be happy.  I don’t ever want her to cry.  I know Kim Bum won’t let her cry.  I trust him a lot.  A true friend he is….

I sat in a seat and spaced out the window for a few hours.  The train started to move and I saw Seoul pass by me within minutes.  I leaned back and closed my eyes.  These one and a half semesters in school with Yennie, Siwon, Jiyeon, and Kim Bum was amazing.  I learned a lot about them.  I learned the strong bonds of friendship they had.  I felt bad that because of me, it was about to all crumble away.  “Stop blaming youself.  I felt that it was bound to happen even before you came.  Blame yourself again, and I’ll punch you too, ShiYoon.” Jiyeon’s voice echoed in my head.  “Alright…  I won’t blame myself then.  I blame myself for not being the best friend ever, though.  I could have done so much better.  There’s so many things that I wanted to do, but I’m leaving like this.” I muttered to myself.  I watched the scenes change from big cities and such, to more countryside and homey.  I felt like myself again.  I remembered my first time in Seoul I was so nervous.  Nervous because it seemed like a different world to me.  But Yennie was the one who made me feel like home.  She made me feel comfortable, she let me share her friends, and she let me be me.  Most of all, she let me find out that she is my sister.  I closed my eyes as I thought and remembered the times and adventures we had.  The first day she introduced herself was the day I suspected her being my sister.  Her beautiful smile, twinkling laughter that echoes everywhere, glossy hair that is perfect no matter how many times you mess it up, her attitude, and of course, her heartwarming personality just made me tear a little.  I missed Yennie already.  I thought about the day of the picnic.  The way she talked to me so freely.  The way she grabbed my hand and we started running and laughing.  The way she cried and screamed and I first witnessed her spasms.  The day we had together and that was the day that I learned from Mrs. Yoo that she most definitely is my sister.  I smiled to myself and cried silently.  It passed so fast.  I felt like it was yesterday I was startled by the crazy introduction followed by a military like greeting.  Her perky personality was certainly unique. 

I was on the train for a long time, but it didn’t seem that long since I was lost in my thoughts as usual.  When I got off the train, I was lost in my thoughts again.  I didn’t even notice a woman asking if I needed a cab.  “Excuse me, sir!”  I snapped out of it.  “Sir, are you alright?  Do you need a cab?  There’s one waiting at the end of the block.” she said.  I thanked her and hurried to the cab.  It started to snow harder now.  I was glad that I left before the snow started because it would be a lot worse if I left any later than I planned.  I couldn’t stop thinking about my entire time in Seoul.  Even in the cab, after telling the driver the address, I sat and thought about my sister.

“I’m home, mother and father!” I called.  Four pairs of eyes stared at me as I shook the snow off my jacket.  My parents and Yennie’s parents looked at me.  “Son, why are you here?” my father asked.  “Why aren’t you with Yennie?  There’s a snow storm coming and you’re here, not in Seoul!”  I looked at Yennie’s parents and told them, “Yennie’s fine.  She’s with Kim Bum so I think she’d be alright.”  Her parents looked relieved when I told them her best friend was watching over her as usual.  “They’re going out, I trust him that he’ll look after Yennie.  Besides, that’s the promise he established from the beginning, right Mrs. Yoo?”  Mrs. Yoo smiled at me and nodded.  My mother looked relieved that Yennie was good.  I brought my bags into my old room before I left Daegu.  I started to unpack somethings.  As I unpacked, I realized that my parents moved some of Yennie’s old stuff into my room.  Her old dresser, tiny desk, her old bed sheets, and the clay pot that she made as a craft for her 4thbirthday were all in the room.  I smiled as I picked up the clay pot.  Even though she was so small and tiny, she was sure amazing at pottery.  If I visit Seoul again, I should bring this over and give it to Yennie.  I want to give her more than just memories.  I want her to have the souvenirs of her past.  I’m crying…  But I’m so happy, Yennie.  You don’t know how happy I am.  I’m so happy that I would run miles to hug you again through this snow.  I would fly through the air, swim like a fish, anything.  I’m so happy, these words cannot express my joy.  Yennie, be happy as well.  Oppa is well.  You’re with a terrific boyfriend, your best friends are also together, you have your memories back, and both your real and adoptive parents are happy.  What more can you want?  Nothing.  So leave it that way and be happy…