Aftermath

I Remember You, Oppa

Many things happened since the day Oppa left us.  We definitely went to Daegu a lot, so Oppa didn't really visit us in Seoul.  

Don't get us wrong.  We didn't just hang out in Daegu.  We went places like Jeju Island, Paris, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, and such with my parents giving money.

But of all, I think our adventures in Daegu were best.  Even though that pabo promised me that we'd chill in Seoul.

But something happened and none of us saw it coming.  It took us all by surprise.  ShiYoon was consumed by the darkness.

The darkness that we all tried so hard to avoid.  It followed Oppa all the way to Daegu.  Oppa's mother called me one day when we were all hanging out after school.  Oppa was hit by a car and died few hours later.

The last time Yennie was in so much pain was the day she got all her memories back.  That was so many years ago.  I couldn't believe that ShiYoon was killed.  It made my heart sink and rip, also.

It was just a shock that he died.  It was so sudden. None of were prepared for this unfortuante day.  The girls were crying, I was crying, and Kim Bum was crying.

The funeral was the hardest part.  Yennie's parents went with us.  The girls were all silently weeping, Yennie's parents were crying, Siwon had tears in his eyes, and I bet that my face looked not so hot either.  It was a long, silent ride to Daegu.  Getting there, we met his parents.  They definitely had been crying for the past two days.

I ran to my adoptive parents and gave them both a hug.  I've seen them when I came here before Oppa died, but this hug was meaning more.  I was hugging parents who lost their child in a car accident.  I felt so fortunate and lucky that I survived my accident.  I'm sure that Oppa's mom hoped that he would have survived the accident like how I did.  I felt unlucky that such a great Oppa died.

We all wanted to stay as a group of five.  I wanted a grou pf six; ShiYoon's future girlfriend.  I wanted us to grow up together, go to each other's weddings, hold baby showers, have children about same ages, grow old together, and die in our sleep one after another so that none of us would suffer losing a friend too early in their lives.

He left too early.  Why did he have to leave so early?  It's unforgivable.  But I can't do anything about it.  That guy had so much dreams.  He wanted to go to college.  If he had the money, he wanted to go to study overseas in America with the rest of us.  Those dreams he made after he succeeded his first dream: to find Yennie.

Losing someone so important is so painful.  He's done so much for our group.  Turned the bonds that were gold into something stronger than diamond.  He allowed and approved me dating Yennie, his dongsaeng.  He trusted me with her, and wanted me to keep making her smile.  I feel like I've failed that when I see Yennie cry over his dead body that was still and cold in the coffin.  I held her close as we oth cried: she crying loudly and I crying in silence.

I would tell you my whole speech that I said to the people who attended that funeral but it's too sad.  Oppa wouldn't like it if i stayed sad too long.  Jumping years later, after studying abroad and studying in America, Kim Bum and I were still dating.  Jiyeon and Siwon stayed together despite Siwon going to military.  He didn't come overseas with us but he still kept close contact with us.  We would always update each other and how things were.

The day Siwon returned from serving his term in military, he proposed to me.  I was the most happiest girl ever.  My high school sweetheart and I were getting married!  I was so happy when I showed off my ring to Yennie.  A month later, Yennie ran to me holding her left hand up at my face.  She had a ring too.  Kim Bum proposed to her and they were gonig to marry as well.

Jiyeon and I married in May.  Beautiful flowers greeted us as we were pronounced husband and wife.  I was happy to call this beautiful woman my wife.  Choi Jiyeon.  It's such a beautiful name, suited for a beautiful woman.  My high school love.  I was glad to have her.  No one else can compare to her energy that she continued to have years more.

Yennie and I married in August, 3 months after Siwon's marriage.  They waited us to wed so the four of us would go to our honeymoon together.  We were going to Jeju Island, then Australia, then London.  Our wedding was held near a lagoon in Daegu.  The lagoon that ShiYoon and Yennie played at as kids.  She wanted the feel of her brother's presence as she was pronounced my wife, and I was pronounced her husband.  His presence was certainly there when we were called husband and wife.  She became Kim Ye Eun from that day foward.  I thanked ShiYoon so much.  If he didn't allow me to date his sister, I would have never propsed to her, get married, and see my last name as hers.

When we went on our honeymoon, I never forgot the feeling in me heart that Oppa was there.  I felt as though he was with us on our honeymoon.  It was our honeymoon but with that feeling, I felt like a child again in Jeju Island with my three best friends and my brother.  It was a glorious moment in my life.

But by far, I think the most glorious thing was when Yennie got pregnant the same time as I did.  I was going to be a mother!  And a aunt at the same time!  Not like blood related aunt, but I would be seen as an auntie to Yennie's child.  And she would too to my child.  She named my child and I named hers.  We both had girls so that was poopie.

Jiyeon wanted to have the opposite gender baby of what Kim Bum and Yennie's baby was to be.  But the both us ended with two girls.  I could see the two being best friends and meeting a pair of nice guys and becomeing closer friends.  Then the cycle of friendship turning to love would start again.

Our child was named Kim Minyoung and their child was Choi Boram.  We named each other's child.  Minyoung and Boram were like twins.  Both mothers gave birth around the same time, same room, and the same hospital.  The hospital where me and Yennie first met.  The hospital where me and Yennie first kissed.  The hospital that held my most treasurable moments in my life.

It's funny to think that the four of us wouldn't be here without Oppa.  I wish Oppa was still here so I could name his child.  Kekeke.  I had the perfect name too for a little Yoon girl.  Yoon Soojung.  It's sad that there will be no Yoon Soojung because Oppa died.  But it alright.  He's not dead in my heart, or Kim Bum's heart, or Jiyeon's heart, or Siwon's heart.  He still lives.  He's the true light in our lives.  He's the fire that burns and lets us keep warm.  He was the one that let this all happen and we are all indebted to him.  I hope that one day, when I'm old and I die with my friends, we will all see him, greet him in my Yennie Sangtae way, and we will live all happy together...

I'm glad that I remembered you, Oppa....  Saranghae.  Forever and ever.  I'll always remember you, so don't forget me.  I love you so much, Oppa.