Chapter 9: Lights Off

Born Sinner

-Zelo’s POV-

A couple of days have passed and Himchan hyung hasn’t left his tent not once. “I’m really worried about Channie.” I told little Youngjae. “He hasn’t come out at all since that day he went all out on Jongup. He hasn’t even eaten anything.” I pouted. “Actually, I sneak food in his tent at night.” Youngjae informed.

And does he eat it?” I asked. “I don’t leave until he eats it all up and swallows.” Youngjae announced. I smiled and patted his head as gentle as possible. “You’re a good friend Youngjae.” I said meaning it from the very bottom of my heart. “Not good enough…He won’t talk to me though.” He admitted. “That’s okay. At least he’s eating.” I assured the little one.

“There’s a town nearby and it’s being attacked by the D.M.” Kris announced coming back from wherever he had went. “Should we go and stop them?” Jasmine asked. “But aren’t there other armies that are supposed to do that?” Daehyun asked. Everyone looked over to Jayde for help.

“I’m going to let you guys make that call.” Jayde said. “I think we should go and save the town. It’ll make it a little easier for the other units.” Jasmine suggested. “I agree, because it’s been a while since I’ve actually fought.” Lee Said. Jasmine rolled her eyes at his reasoning. “What about the rest of you guys?” She asked.

“I’m all for it.” Kris shrugged. “Yeah…it’ll also prepare us too.” Bang said. “Sure.” Daehyun gave in. Jongup and Youngjae nodded. “Alright.” I agreed. “Then it’s settled. Let’s go.” Jayde said. “Alright! Let’s kick some bad guy !” Tae and Min chimed together.

“Wait hold on.” Lee said. “Whaaat?” The twins pouted. “The Princess has to stay here.” He said. “Who?” I asked confused.

“You.” He answered “What? Me?! Why?!" I was not expecting the nickname, honestly I thought he was talking about Jasmine or Himchan. My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. Why would he give me that nickname? “Because you can’t fight. You’ll die if you go with us.” Lee said bluntly.

That actually kind of hurt. He made it seem as if I was helpless. Like…like Youngjae. No offense to Youngjae though. Kris nodded in agreement. “Yeah he has a point.” Daehyun inputted.

“I-I can fight!” I defended. “Oh yeah? Think fast.” Lee said I quickly flinched covering my face just to see that nothing hit me. I slowly peeked to see a sharp blade close to my face. He threw that at me?!! I looked up some more to see that Bang caught it between his fingers.

I felt my heart skip a beat.

He tossed the blade back at the vampire who put it back in his pocket. “My point exactly.” He said. I pouted a little in embarrassment. “Alright! Let’s go!” Lee ordered.

As everyone prepared to fight, Bang turned to me. “Junhong…I also think it’s best if you stay. You’ll be safer.” He said gently. “Yeah, yeah…I’ll stay.” I said. He smiled pleased with my response. “…but only if you stay.” I said.

His smile slowly faded. “I have to go.” He said. I quickly grabbed his arm. “But…you can’t. Remember? I have to go everywhere with you.” I said feeling antsy. “I’ll be fine…trust me.” He promised.

I was really scared. What if…what if the thing happens to him? That happened in my dream? “Junhong…are you okay?” He asked. I couldn’t respond. “…Zelo…does it have to do with anything about your nightmare?” he asked full of concern.

“N-No…of course not.” I quickly lied. I felt bad lying to him, I didn’t want him to worry. He didn’t seem to believe me. Instead of questioning me he just smiled and forced me into a hug. I felt my cheeks burn. “As soon as it’s over…I’ll come straight back. I won’t stop, I’ll come straight to you wherever you are.” He spoke gently into my ear. I blushed harder.

“…and if you stay here and not worry about me…I’ll tell you something very special.” He added. I looked up at him. “How will you know though if I worried over you or not?” I questioned curiously. “Oh, I’ll know.” he said with much confidence. I couldn’t help but blush even harder. He chuckled a little.

“Alright Prince Charming! We have to go. You’ll see your princess after we save the town.” Lee called. My face turned a bright red. “Come on Lee~, I think it’s cute.” Jasmine said. “Alright I’m coming.” Bang said joining the others. I watched as they walked away and even after they disappeared.

I sat down on a log and tried to convince myself that they’d be okay and that nothing will happen to Yongguk…at least not what happened in my dream. “Don’t worry Zelo…Don’t worry Junhong…Don’t worry.” I repeated over and over. That’s when something crossed my mind. “Wait a second.” I thought out loud.

“How come I have to stay if Youngjae’s going with them?!” That’s so messed up. That’s not fair! How could I forget about Youngjae? He can get squished out there. “Well…Daehyun is with hi. He probably locked Youngjae up in his pocket.” I muttered. I laughed a little t the thought, Daehyun is too much. He really is something else.

“Hm…” I thought to myself. Maybe I can talk to Himchan while no one else is around. It makes me sad thinking that he’s all alone. Especially during a time like this. I wonder what’s up with him. Could it be Jongup? After all he did go all out on him the other day…I’ve never seen him like that before.

I stood up and took a deep breath deciding to go talk to Himchan, whether it’s about what’s going on or just anything. He needs some sort of company, I don’t want him to become depressed…he’s not like that. Honestly Himchan is a really great person and an amazing friend, he cares a lot for us. Especially for Jongup, though he doesn’t show it or admit it…I know his feelings.

I know his feelings towards Jongup hyung. Hehehehe, I’ve read his little fantasies written in his diary whenever we go to visit at his place…he’s such a girl at times. I walked up to his tent. “Himchan.” I called quietly. No response, not surprised. “Himchan…” I said again a little louder. No response.

“Oh~, Himchan hyung. Can we talk please?” I sang. Still no response. “Channie, no one else is here. It’s just you and me. They all went to save a town. I promise.” I said. Nothing. “Can you at least come out?” Still nothing. “Or I can come in, whatever you prefer?” Silence.

I pouted. “Himchan, are you okay? I’m worried about you. We all are.” Suddenly I heard an animalistic growl sound come from behind me, sending chills down my back. I slowly turned round. “Junhong~…” I heard Himchan finally sigh, but I didn’t respond.

My eyes widened at the sight. There was a pack…a pack of large wolves. They were huge! There were 5 of them. I scooted away from the tent so that in case they attacked they wouldn’t hurt Himchan.

The pack of wolves slowly stalked towards me, baring their teeth as drool dripped down from their mouths. One of them barked at me, commanding me to stop, and I obeyed of course. Just then a girl walked among the pack…she looked like Emerald, but she had yellow irises instead of gray, and her hair was almost like a light peach color instead of white. However her skin was just as pale as Emerald’s.

“Which one of your buddies killed my sister?” her voice wasn’t very nice. It sounded hoarse and rough. “Wh-Wh-Who are y-you?” I stumbled backwards. “I am Esmerelda, and I am her to get revenge on whoever killed my sister Emerald.” She hissed. I quickly remembered not to look her in the eyes.

“N-No…I-I don’t know who killed your sister. B-But I’m sorry that she…she was murdered.” I said stumbling back some more. She looked even angrier than before and bred her snakely fangs. I saw her tail move side to side. The wolves growled their mouths foaming as they creeped closer towards me.

I felt my heart beat fast. What am I going to do? I’m completely defenseless. I was too scared to think straight. “It was one of you guysss!! She died in her own home! She was burned to death! I know it was one of you. I tracked your scent down.” She hissed. I backed up some more and tripped backwards, causing me to fall backwards onto my bottom. My eyes widened at the memory, it was Himchan. Himchan killed Emerald.

I have to lead them away.

Esmerelda smirked. “So you do know hm?” She chuckled evilly. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I scooted back. She frowned. “That’s fine…I’ll just kill you and the rest of your friends.” She hissed. At that moment the large wolves came running at me.

I quickly hopped onto my feet about to run, but the wolves were much faster than I had expected and one of them sank its teeth into my shirt, dragging me down to the ground.

I kicked its nose and pulled away. The wolf whimpered tearing my shirt. Just then two more caught up with us and were about to pounce on me when the two were suddenly knocked over by a wave of flames that hit them. The two wolves whimpered at the unexpected hit.

I looked over to see that Himchan was out of his tent. He looked a hot mess though…haha get it? Hot mess?

He didn’t look too happy either. The other 3 wolves’ attentions went straight towards him. “Himchan.” I gasped finally able to breathe, I hadn’t realized that I was even holding my breath the whole time. “You!” Esmerelda hissed at him. “Himchan run!” I cried.

“Are you looking for me?” Himchan said ignoring my warning. “You’re the one who killed my sister?” Esmeralda questioned. “No! I am!” I stood up trying to save my friend, but no one seemed to be paying attention to me. “One and Only.” Himchan huffed his hands on fire. Himchan was not Himchan right now. He was more like a Bang Yongguk mixed with Lee.

“I am going to kill you!” Esmerelda screamed in full rage. All five wolves turned to Himchan and charged him. “Himchan!!” I screamed throwing a stick at one of the wolves, whom didn’t seem to even notice. Ugh! What am I supposed to do? My powers are useless. I can lift things up with my mind but only small things…if I go straight to moving something big I can really damage myself, but I can’t not help Himchan.

Himchan surprisingly hit them with a slash of fire, knocking one of wolves out, completely. The wolf came sliding on the ground right in front of me. It was unconscious. I kicked it in the head a couple of times to make sure the job was done.

I was surprised. Himchan fought off the over-sized dogs pretty well, his form and stance were perfect, it was as if he were doing this kind of stuff all his life. His bending was perfect. Esmerelda looked furious but stayed composed and moved sleethly around them until she was right behind Himchan.

She bared her fangs. She was about to bite Himchan’s neck! And Kill Him! “No!” I cried jumping on top of her. We crash landed onto the dirt floor knocking down a few tents in the process. Her teeth just barely scraped against my arm.

I punched her hard in the face. “Don’t you ever! Try! To! Kill! My! Friend! Again!” I hit the snake demon over and over again. Then I hit one of her eyes. “Aaaahh!!” she screeched holding her eye. “Aaah!” she was in pain. She wrapped her tail around my arm and slammed me don into the ground.

I ground in pain after making contact to the ground. The evil snake woman shakily stood to her feet. I rolled on the ground in utter pain. “You shall die first.” She hissed. “Junhong!” Himchan called.

Before she could hit me Himchan slid between us and shot a huge amount of fire at her. I quickly turned my back towards them in fear of getting burned.

Seconds later everything was silent. The only thing that was heard was heavy breathing. I painfully turned around to see Himchan lying beside me breathing heavily. I laid on my back out of breath as well.

“Where are the wolves?” I panted. “They’re…gone…they ran away.” Himchan said trying to control his breathing. I missed hearing his voice. “…and the snake-lady?” “She’s good as gone.” He breathed. There was a small moment of silence between us.

“You saved me.” I broke the silence. “No…you saved me he said. I sat up. “You were amazing.” I told him. He sat up as well. “Zelo…your arm.” He said wide-eyed. I looked at my right arm to see that it was bleeding, long streams of blood rushed down my arm. “Hold on.” Himchan ordered. The elder got up and ran towards the river as fast he could. I started to feel a little dizzy the more I lost blood.

Himchan quickly came back with a bucket of water. He grabbed a cloth, and cleaned my wound up. “Hopefully you didn’t lose too much blood.” He said tying up the cloth around my arm. “Thank you.” I said. “Go, rest. I’ll clean this mess up.” He said.

“No. It’s okay, I’ll clean it up. You just…you just go back in your tent before the others come. So you won’t be bothered.” I told him, respecting the fact that all he wanted is to be alone in his tent.

He just looked at me a little shocked. “I’m sorry for causing trouble.” I said looking away. “No, Zelo you didn’t do anything. This is not even the slightest your fault. Things just-,” “What happened here?” Himchan was cut off by a familiar voice. Kris?

I turned around to see that they had returned. “Himchan?” Daehyun said shocked to see him. Himchan looked away shamefully. I noticed Jongup stare at Himchan. Though he didn’t show any emotion his stare looked hurt and sad.

Bang was last to arrive, his eyes widened when he saw the messy campsite. “What happened?” Jasmine repeated the question. I looked at Himchan for permission to tell them what happened.

“We were attacked by Emerald’s sister, Esmerelda. She had 5 very large wolves with her. They were huge! Bigger than Tae and Min. they came looking for the person who killed her sister, Himchan. But I didn’t tell them. But you should’ve seen it.” I said getting excited the more I spoke. At that moment Himchan stood up and went back into his tent.

“What happened to your arm?” Yongguk asked concerned. “Oh…um…Esmerelda’s teeth just barely grazed against my arm. But it’s okay now, Himchan cleaned the wound up.” I assured him. “You’re not hungry right?” Daehyun asked Lee. “I can control myself. I don’t eat every single drop of blood I see.” Lee growled. “Oh…okay, just making sure.” Daehyun said patting his shoulder. “But…pure human blood is most delicious.” Lee smirked his lips. Daehyun slowly scooted away from the vampire.

“But you guys should have seen Himchan. He was amazing. He took down all 5 wolves himself. And he killed Esmerelda. He was great!” I said. No one responded, it was pretty much left at an awkward silence.

“Well, I guess we should start cleaning this place up.” Jasmine finally spoke up. Everyone just nodded, slowly starting to move. They all looked worn out except for Jayde, Lee, and Kris.

-Jayde’s POV-

I sat down by the river thinking to myself while everyone else cleaned up the campsite. I thought long and hard, about the whole Himchan and Jongup situation. I know the feelings that they have towards each other but they completely misunderstood one another. “Whatchya thinking about?” Someone sneaked behind me. I nearly jumped.

“What? You didn’t see me coming?” Kris laughed sitting next to me. “No, I was just too much in my thoughts.” I grumbled. “Oh really? And that is?” he asked curiously, scooting closer to me. I scooted away from him. “About the Himchan and Jongup situation.” I said. “Oh that. Yeah. I have no idea what’s going on between them.” He said shaking his head.

“We need to get them back together.” I announced hitting my fist against the palm of my hand. Kris fell backwards onto the ground, which was strange because he was already sitting down. I looked at him strangely. He sat up. “What? You didn’t find that amusing?” He said. I slowly shook my head.

“Really? Not at all?” he said. “Why would I find that amusing? I can’t find anything amusing.” I said. “Oh…yeah, my pad.” He said. I rolled my eyes in annoyance, why was he here? “So how are you going to get them back together? Were they even together in the first place?” He questioned.

“Not really. They were just really close friends.” I said. “Then why would you get them together?” Kris asked. “Because we need unity. That’s the only way all of us will survive this war, if we’re united together.” I explained.

“Why can’t you just make them friends again?” he suggested. I didn’t respond.

“Are you sure that you’re getting them together just for our survival?” he nudged my arm. “Of course! Well…I can survive, but the rest of you won’t be able to.” I said folding my arms. “I think there’s something else.” The shadow seeker. “What other reason could there be?” I challenged.

“You just want them to be together, because you know the feelings that they have for each other.” He teased. “What? No. That’s not it.” I lied standing up. “I know you’re lying~…” He cooed. “Ugh. Do you want to help me get them back together or not?” I asked.

Kris looked up at me. “What? The almighty Jayde needs my help?” He questioned. “I’m using everyone.” I remarked. “Isn’t this moving a little fast though?” He asked standing up dusting himself off. “No, they’ve been friends forever.” I said.

“I mean like, Himchan went off like 3 to 4 days ago. Shouldn’t we give him time?” Kris said. “No…the longer this goes on the worse it only gets. Himchan will only get depressed and Jongup will be forced to move on.” I told him. “Whoa…” was all he could say. Now, is the best time to do something about it.” I said. “Alright! What are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Kris jumped.

 

-Jongup’s POV-

I was pretty much lost as we cleaned up the camp. I kept glancing over at Himchan’s tent. Every time I looked, a sigh left my lips. Did Himchan really mean what he said? Even before he yelled at me he pretty much said that I was gonna die. He said it so easily.

 

But what made him tick off like that? It was so sudden, unless it was something that’s been building up over time. If it was…then why hadn’t he said anything to me about it earlier? He knows that he can talk to me.

Is he really gonna give up…like that? I felt my heart clench. No, I can’t…I can’t imagine that. That’s impossible. There’s no way.

I felt more hurt than anything. What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to say, when I don’t even know what’s going on?! I…I really like Himchan. He’s the only person that I don’t want to lose. Just then I felt a hand on my shoulder causing me to jump.

“Oh, did I scare you? Sorry.” Jasmine said quietly. I forced a smile. “No, you’re good.” I said. “Are you alright?” She asked. “Yeah, I’m fine.” I led. Jasmine just looked at me, not believing me one bit. “Come on, let’s talk about it.” Jasmine insisted. “We have to clean.” I told her.

“Jongup, we’re done cleaning.” She told me. I looked around to see that she was right, everything was back in its place. “Oh.” Was all I could say. She laughed lightly. “You’ve been cleaning this spot for 5 minutes now.” She informed. “Oh well…um, I think I’m going to go for a walk. Alone.” I said quickly getting away from her.

I felt a little bad pushing her away, I hope she doesn’t feel like this is because of her.

I quickly made my way further away from the cam through the woods, to be completely alone. I sighed in relief…finally…some alone time.

I don’t like being alone, but at the moment I didn’t feel like being around anyone. I just walked around not thinking about much but Himchan.

I laughed to myself a little. When we were younger Himchan used to get so embarrassed so easily. He still does but he’s gotten better compared to back then. He was the strangest kid to me. He was really something else. I never understood how a prince could be so insecure.

We were 9 or 10 then. But I really enjoyed being around him. I don’t like to look too much in the past but, I didn’t mind when it’s about Channie. I sighed to myself. Awe Channie…I guess it’s too late now but…”I’m sorry Himchan.” I apologized.

I sat down on a large stone and bended the water, playing with it for a bit. I’ve never seen him react like this before. Maybe, it is time for a change.

He doesn’t like major changes, but since he is the one who wanted this change then maybe it’s just meant to be that way, and I’ll just have to take it. After all we are completely different. Like literally, he’s fire and I’m water.

I stopped bending, letting the water drop. Just then something grabbed my arms and pinned me to the ground. “Yah!” I snapped. They pinned my legs down to the ground and blind folded my eyes. I couldn’t see a thing.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Thank you for reading! And making it this far. I know there hasn't been very much DaeJae :( But I promise there will be more DaeJae coming really soon! :)