Chapter 6: Tell Me I'm A Wreck

Born Sinner

-Jongup's POV-

“I’m glad to see that you’re alright. It looked like it hurt when you hit that tree.” Jongin added.

“Maybe the fall made him shorter.” One of them joked. “Wait. What are you guys talking about?” Daehyun questioned.

“That whole horse incident. He saved me. If it wasn’t for him, I don’t know what would’ve happened.” Youngjae told him nonchalantly. Then he turned back to the guy. “Thank you.” Youngjae thanked him sincerely. “No problem.” The guy smiled sweetly. He smiled a lot. Daehyun’s expression darkened and became sad as he remembered the incident, and he walked away.

It was his fault that Youngjae got hurt and possibly almost died. “You guys can just call me Kai.” The Jongin guy said. I don’ think that Youngjae noticed Daehyun’s sad demeanor. I got up and walked over to him.

“Hey Dae.” I said. “yeah.” Was his response. “What I didn’t ask you a question.” I said. Daehyun sat down and laid down on the ground. I sat down beside him. Everyone seemed pretty occupied talking with the inspirits and shadow seekers. “I don’t feel like chatting.” Daehyun said.

“Well, looks like we both have something in common then.” I said. He didn’t respond. “I’m not here for a conversation. I’m just here to tell you one thing. You wanna hear it?” I said. “No, not really.” He answered. Well, at least he’s honest. “Well I’m gonna tell you anyway.”

“Don’t get upset about what happened with the horse thing. Yeah it was entirely your fault and Youngjae’s life was pretty much in danger and things could have been worse if smiling Kai didn’t save him. But that’s done and over with. Jae is okay. You and him already made up. The past is the past. If you dwell on it too much it’ll just hold you back. That’s why it’s the past and that’s why there is a present and a future.” I said.

The elder just looked at me. “Nope. I don’t want to hear anything from you. That’s all I had to say, no conversation intended. You can thank me later.” I smiled and got back up and joined the others.

-Himchan’s POV-

“So, you guys are the only Shadow seekers in the world?” Min asked in awe after everyone introduced themselves and the new 12 strangers talked a little about themselves.

“Mm hm…The first 12 and the last 12.” Suho said. “The only 12.” Sehun said. “Wow!” Min, Tae, Zelo, and Youngjae all said in awe. “We work a lot with the inspirits with different things. We’re our own pack.” Suho explained.

“Do you guys know about the war?” Jasmine asked. “What kind of question is that? Of course they know.” Lee sneered, but Jasmine just ignored him. “Actually…we don’t…” Xiumin said. Lee just stood there looking dumbfounded. “Just kidding.” Xiumin laughed.

“Haha, that was actually kind of funny.” Tae laughed. “He actually thought…haha.” Lee just glared at the young one. “Yeah. We know about it. It’s not something we’re excited about.” Suho sighed. “Hey! How about we go back to our place? And we can talk about this whole war thing there.” Kai suggested winking at Jasmine who blushed. Lee rolled his eyes. “Only if it’s the war we’re talking about.” Lee growled in annoyance.

“Of course. Why not?” Kai smiled at the vampire. “You smile a lot.” Tae remarked. “Do I?” Kai smiled raising an eyebrow. “Yeah! I like it.” Tae smiled brightly. “That sounds like a good idea.” Jongup stretched standing up.

“No. We can’t stop until we reach the river.” Jayde said. “Come on you guys can’t take a break? Can’t you?” Kai pouted. “We already took a break.” Jayde retorted. “Awe please Jayde~! Can’t we stay the night over at the place? It’s already sunset. It’s going to get dark soon.” Tae begged. Jayde didn’t say anything. “Yea~…Please~.” Jasmine joined in. Jayde studied the 12 shadow seekers. Then she looked at me, then she looked at Jongup, than back at the 12 strangers.

“Fine she said getting up. “Yay!!” Tae and Jasmine cheered. “Alright! Let’s go!” Xiumin said being the first to leave then 2 more joined him. The rest of us followed the remaining 9 to their place. The smiling Kai guy stopped and held his arm out for Jasmine. “May I you my lady.” He said. Jasmine blushed and shyly allowed him to her. That’s cute, I thought to myself.

I continued walking when I nearly bumped into Jongup. He slightly bent over with his arm out. “Jongup! What…are you doing?” I asked. “Shall I you…your highness?” He said. I was struck for a second but I quickly snapped out of it and walked away. “Awe Channie~. Why you gotta be so cold?” I heard him pout, but I continued to walk on without him.

I guess I really don’t have any excuses to be acting the way I’m acting and feeling the way I’m feeling. Now that things are alright/fine between everyone (well beside the whole war situation), I’ve been feeling more….more empty? I guess. It’s hard to describe it, it’s almost like a lost kind of feeling. I’m not sure whether I’m annoyed, hurt, or maybe I’m just being selfish and childish. It’s mostly about Jongup.

We were really close when we were younger and still are now of course, but I feel like I’m losing him. We’re getting older and we’re at that age where we’re starting to like other people and see things in different perspectives. And we’re meeting a lot more people. And Jongup is flirting with almost every girl he meets, using what he claims is his “charms”, and honestly I don’t have a good feeling about it.

Though I know he’s only messing around it makes me uneasy, because…what if he really means it one day? Sometimes I can tell that he’s playing with Jayde But what about Jasmine? I know it’s silly to think such things. Actually it’s probably really stupid and selfish.

Jongup is his own person, he can do whatever he wants, I have no right to control him or force him to do anything. I guess what I’m really trying to say is that I can’t see Jongup with anyone…I don’t want to see him with anyone else…I don’t want him to leave me, but that’s just the way life is. So, get over it Himchan.

Why can’t I get over it though?! Why is it so hard? I know I’m not really a fan of change, but this is something that’s bound to happen. “Whoa~ Himchan. Watch out.” Someone interrupted my thoughts. “Huh? What?” I said lost. The person put their hand on my shoulder.

“You almost bumped into that tree.” Yongguk said. I looked in front of me and saw that I was only two steps away from bumping into a large oak tree. “Oh…yea, thanks.” I said. “Mm hm….” Was his response, he raised an eyebrow. “…You look like you’re thinking hard about something. Hm?” He said.

“Oh…It’s nothing.” I smiled weakly. The elder studied me a bit. “Do you mind me asking what it is you’re thinking about?” he asked concerned. “Uh…Huh? Oh…Just about this whole war thing. It’s…It’s crazy how we got into this.” I lied.

Yongguk didn’t seem to believe me. “We’re here!” Xiumin announced before Yongguk should say anything. Saved. “Come on.” I said running up ahead of him.

“A cave?” Youngjae said standing on Junhong’s shoulder. “Mm hm…not just any cave. A super big cave with many tunnels and rooms.” Xiumin advertised. “Oh~! Jinja?!” Tae said in amazement. The shadow seeker nodded. “OMG!! This is a perfect place for hide and seek!” Min squealed. “Come on you guys.” Min said grabbing Junhong’s wrist, who grabbed Tae’s wrist, who grabbed Jongup’s wrist. Youngjae held tightly onto Zelo’s shirt as they rand down the hillslope to the open cave.

“Hide and seek? Wow…I’ve never seen it like that before.” Chanyeol noted to himself. “Me neither.” Baekhyun inputted. “C’mon, let’s go.” Suho said leading everyone else down the hill to the cave.

It was already dark by the time we arrived. Everyone sat down and chatted while the others played their intense tag game. Honestly, I wasn’t really paying much attention to anything that was going on, I tried to, I really did, but my mind kept drifting off. I noticed Daehyun was having the same problem. “What’s up?” I asked him. He didn’t respond. “Yah…Jung Daehyun.” I said.

“Whaat?” he said. “What’s the matter?” I asked again. “It’s…nothing.” He said. “Obviously it’s something. Before you were fine until Youngjae recognized one of the shadow seekers. Is that it?” I said. He slightly nodded.

“I’m a failure. I’m a terrible person. Youngjae almost, he could’ve died because…because of me.” He said. I didn’t say anything, his eyes started to water, as he thought about it. “I was a real jerk, I am a jerk.” I shook my head, you would think that he would be happy since him and Youngjae had already settled things. “Daehyun. You and Youngjae are fine now. I don’t see the problem. You have nothing to worry about.” I told him.

“But the fact that he could’ve lost his life because of my selfishness scares me. What if…What if something like that happens again? And what if there’s no one next time?” He said ghostly afraid.

“It won’t happen again.” I said. “How do you know?” “Because I know you. You’re not going to let it happen.”

“But what if it does? How do I know it won’t?”

“Well, all we can do is look back in the past and learn from our past mistakes. And also be grateful for the good times you had in the past as well.” I smiled.

“That’s funny…” he said this time with no emotion.

“What is?” I asked. “Jongup had said something to me earlier about that. He said that the past is the past and if you dwell on it then it’ll just hold you back. He pretty much said to look only at the present and future.” He said. That caught me.

“He…he said that?” I said. The younger nodded. “He has a point, but I also like what you said. I’ll take both into consideration. They both actually helped.” He smiled weakly. “Wait! Wait for me!” Youngjae squeaked trying to catch up to Zelo and Min.

“Thanks.” He told me and got up and walked over to the tired out, tiny Youngjae. “Yeah~.” I said quietly. “Need a lift?” Daehyun asked the mini Jae. Youngjae nodded out of breath. “Yes. Please.” He said. Daehyun bent down and Youngjae walked into the palm of the elder’s hand. Daehyun stood back up and placed Youngjae onto his shoulder. “Thank-You” Youngjae thanked. “Mm hm.” Was Daehyun’s response.

He began to walk in the direction where the others went. “You know what?” I heard Youngjae say. “What?” Daehyun said. “I like being on your shoulder the best.” Youngjae said. “Of course! Who else’s shoulder is as good as mine?” The prince responded. “If I could, I’d hit you right now.” Youngjae muttered. Dae just laughed.

I felt my eyes burn. Just then Jongup stepped into the picture. I felt more tears fill the wells of my eyes. “Hey Channie….um…You okay?” I heard Bang say. Jayde looked at me. Jongup ran into one of the tunnels and there was a squeal followed afterwards, either from Tae or Min, which was followed by laughter. “Himchan…” Bang said again. This time everyone in the circle was watching me. Lee raised an eyebrow.

“I’m going to go to sleep.” I said not looking at any of them standing up. “Oh, okay. Hey Kris…can you show him a room that’s not taken or that he can use?” Suho said. “Sure.” Kris said standing up. “Thanks.” I said quietly. “You’re welcome.” He said, and so I followed him deeper into the cave.

It was a silent walk through the tunnels, there really wasn’t anything to say anyway. “Well here you go.” Kris said leading me into a small cave-like room. “It’s probably not as homie as what you’re used to.” Kris said scratching the back of his head.

“It’s good. I would’ve been surprised if it was like an actual bedroom.” I said not sure if it was some sort of joke. “Heh…yeah…um, I was wondering…” he began. I just looked at him listening to what the shadow seeker had to say. “…If I could join you guys on your mission.” He asked. I really wasn’t expecting that question at all. I wasn’t expecting him to ask anything…well at least not me.

“Oh…um, I’m sorry. I’m really not the one you should be asking that question.” I said honestly. “Oh…sorry.” He apologized. “No, it’s fine. You should probably ask either Jayde or Lee.” I suggested. “Heh, Jayde is kind of…scary. I guess I’ll ask Lee then.” He said rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Really? I think Lee is scarier. Jayde seems more considerate.” I shrugged. Kris smiled. “Well, thanks.” I thanked again. “Mm Hm, Night.” He said walking away.

I went into the room and laid on the ground, but I couldn’t sleep. I really wasn’t feeling. It’s not something that I just started feeling, but it was something that I’ve been feeling for a while. The incident between Daehyun and Youngjae helped me not think much about it.

What Daehyun told me that Jongup said stuck to me. Does he really not look back in the past? Does he not think back at when we were younger? But those times meant a lot to me, and I had…I had kind of thought that they meant something to him to.

Ugh!! Himchan stop being a baby! Stop being a big drama queen. This is not the time to be focusing on that kind of stuff. You should be thinking about the war, if you want to worry about something then worry about your friends being safe.

I felt a tear stream down my cheek. “What are you doing now?” I said wiping it away quickly. “Don’t tell me you’re turning into a cry baby too.” I sniffled.

“Himchan? Himchan…” I heard someone call my name. I just laid there and closed my eyes. “Himchan! Himchan!” The person called. I heard barking from a distance. “You found him? Where is he?” The person said.

Then I heard footsteps running my way. “Himchan! Get up!” The voice was urgent. I sat up and saw that it was Yongguk with a gray wolf. “Tae?” I questioned. The wolf just looked at me. “No, it’s Min. Come on. We have to go.” Bang said. I stood up, “Why?”

“We’re under attack.” Bang informed. Suddenly, the cave began to shake, pieces of rock began to fall. “Let’s go.” Yongguk repeated. I quickly joined the two and followed them throughout the tunnels.

The cave shook more and more with each shake more severe than the last. “Where are the others?” I asked dodging a rock.

“They’re already out fighting back. Jasmine took Daehyun, Youngjae, Jongup, Tae and Zelo ahead to the river. We’ll meet them there later.” Yongguk said. Min, the wolf, barked running ahead finding an opening when a rock fell and landed on his paw. Min whimpered in pain trying to force the large rock off, but nothing worked.

Bang and I ran over to help him. The rock was really big and very heavy, it was nearly impossible to ph. Min bent down on the ground whimpering in pain rubbing his dark brown nose with his free front paw. “Don’t worry Min, we’ll get you out of this.” I promised.

Yongguk studied the rock. “Min as soon as we lift it you have to slip your paw out as soon as possible.” Yongguk instructed. Min nodded. “Ready Himchan? On the count of three, use all of your strength.” Bang Yongguk said. I nodded and got ready to lift the rock. “1…” Bang began counting.

“2.” Min got ready to slip his paw out. “3!” Bang and I lifted the huge rock up, just barely, using all of our strength. Once Min slipped his paw out, we instantly dropped it. I bent down beside the small wolf, trying to comfort him.

“You okay?” I asked. Min held out his hurt paw which remained limp. “Is it broken?” Bang asked. I checked it out feeling for the bone and it was broken. I nodded. Min whimpered once more. “Want me to carry you?” I asked. He shook his head.

“We can’t go out this way.” Bang said seeing that our only opening was blocked off. “We’ll have to find another way out.” He concluded. “What? No. Min can’t go on like this.” I said. Min barked and stood straight on 3 of his legs. At that moment the cave shook viciously causing all of us to lose our balance. “Besides, this place is going to collapse on us before we can even find another exit.” I said.

“You have any ideas then?” Yongguk questioned. I studied the rock in front of us for bit and nodded. “Back up.” I ordered. Yongguk and Min obeyed. I stepped up. I took a deep breath, hopefully this works. I felt heat come from my hands to the point where there were nearly on fire, literally.

I stepped up to the large rock and placed both of my hands on it. I was careful not to put the large rock in flames I just put enough heat on it to where it began to crack and finally burst into pieces.

“Wow! Great job Channie!” Bang said fairly impressed. Min jumped on me my face. “Come on you guys.” Bang said jumping over the rubble of earth. I helped Min over the sharp pile of rock and followed Guk out of the cave. I saw Lee and Jayde, and the shadow seekers and Inspirits fighting something back.

“What are they fighting?” I asked Yongguk. The elder turned and his eyes widened. “That.” He said. I turned around and I nearly stumbled back. “What the?” There was a huge dragon on top of the cave. There were 2 of them! These things exist?! “Come on.” Yongguk said grabbing my wrist pulling me towards the others with Min limping behind.

“You guys go.” Jayde ordered the shadow seekers and Inspirits. “But we can help.” Taeyeon insisted. “We got it.” Lee said. “Are you sure?” Suho questioned. “Obviously.” Lee shrugged. “Now go.” Jayde snapped. No one said anything else and obeyed Jayde.

“So, what do you want us to do captain?” Lee asked. “I want you and Min to go catch up with the others.” Jayde instructed. “Whaat?! You mean miss out on all the fun?” Lee was surprised. “Himchan and Bang will help with this one.” She said.

Lee actually pouted and didn’t argue back. “Come on Min.” He said walking ahead. Min quickly limped behind him trying to catch up. Lee turned around to see what was taking so long. “What happened to your paw?” Lee questioned.

Min just whimpered in response. Lee sighed. “Come on.” He picked the pup up and ran out of sight. Just then goblins jumped off of the Dragons’ backs and came running towards us.

I was grossed out. “I know, they’re disgusting.” Jayde said sounding more annoyed them disgusted. “You guys get the goblins. I’ll take the dragons.” Jayde instructed. She dived into the group of goblins running through them and killing some of them along the way.

“So…it’s just two of us against 1, 2…50 of them?” I said not sounding or feeling very excited. “Mm make that 48, Jayde just killed 2 more.” Yongguk noted. The hideous creatures came to us fast. “If this doesn’t scar me, then I don’t know what will.” I remarked. Yongguk pulled out his sword.

“At least you don’t have to get close to them just to kill them or even wound them.” Yongguk mumbled. My hands lit on fire. “Let’s just get this over with.” I said being the first to attack.

I wasn’t really all that good at fighting with my new powers, considering that I’ve only learned how to use them in a week, but I at least knew how to shoot fire from my hands and control it. I’ll just have to wing the rest. I’m not really much of a fighter at all! How did I get left with this?

Yongguk on the other hand is a natural. He handles the sword swiftly and easily. But I guess fighting goblins is different than just practicing against royal guards.

Suddenly a raging goblin came running towards me, but before I could do anything the Goblin froze completely, it nearly looked like a statue. Its skin turned an uglier shade of green and its large eyes turned backwards. My eyes twitched at the sight. Yongguk pulled his sword out of the creature’s back and it fell to the ground. I nearly puked, but I continued fighting the goblins.

One clung to my leg but I burned it off. After a while I got the hang of using my powers for defense. I didn’t feel all that bad diminishing the hideous creatures.

“You ready?” Someone said behind me. I turned around and saw that it was Jayde. “Wh-What?” I said surprised to see that she was already back. “I finished off the dragons…more like lizards.” She remarked. I looked back over at the cave and saw that the two dragons were knocked out, dead cold.

When the Goblins saw that the dragons had been defeated they panicked and quickly ran away as fast as they could. “Come on, let’s go.” Jayde said and we moved silently, following behind her.

“The others just arrived at the river.” Jayde announced about an hour later of walking.

It was late and I was tired, I really was out of it. Fighting those goblins actually did clear my mind for a little bit. “Were they part of the DM?” Yongguk asked. Jayde nodded.

“Why did they attack us? Did they know that we were here?” Yongguk questioned. “No. They don’t know about us.” Jayde said. “They were out for us.” A familiar voice stated from the dark.

A shadow seeker came out revealing himself. “We’ve stayed neutral throughout the entire war and they’ve been trying to get us on their side but we refused despite their warnings and threats.” Kris said. “But after meeting with you guys, the others have decided to join, the good side I guess you would call it.” I smiled seeing that it was him. “And you?” Jayde questioned.

“Yeah, I’ve chosen the same thing too. But I want to join you guys on your little mission.” Kris announced. Jayde didn’t say anything and just studied him. “Why?” She questioned. “Why not?” He responded.

I couldn’t help but smile even more, for some strange reason I was excited about him joining us. “Fine.” She said not bothering to question him any further and continued walking towards our destination. We followed behind her, with Kris joining us. “Hey Himchan.” The shadow seeker greeted. “Hi Kris.” I smiled back.

It wasn’t but until a few more hours later when we arrived at our destination. Camp was already set up and everyone was in their tenets sleeping besides Lee who remained outside.

“Get some rest, because you’ll need it.” Jayde said, and with that she disappeared into the trees. “Well, night you guys.” Kris said. “Do you need a tent to stay in?” I asked him. “No, I’m fine. I sleep in the shadows.” He smiled vanishing into the dark leaving Bang and I alone.

“Well, I guess I should be going to sleep too.” I yawned. “Hey, Channie.” Yongguk said. “Yeah?” I responded. “Are you sure that you’re alright?” he asked once again, concerned. “Yea, why wouldn’t I be?” I led. He just shrugged. “It just seems like something is bugging you.” He said. “Oh…” was all I could say. Was it really that obvious? “Himchan. You can tell me if something is up. You know that, right?” Bang said.

I lowered my gaze. “Yeah…I know.” I said quietly. The elder sighed. “Well, Night Himchan.” “Night.” I said. With that he went into his tent. I glanced up at the sky and spotted many stars that scattered across the night time sky, before heading to my tent, but then I heard laughing and giggling.

At first I was going to ignore it but then I stopped. Who would be up this late? I thought everyone was asleep. Out of curiosity and suspicion I followed the sound of laughter and chatting.

The closer I got the more familiar the voices became. I followed the voices through a couple of bushes close to the river.

My eyes widened when I saw Jasmine and Jongup sitting together by the river. What are they doing here? Together? Alone? At night? “Jongup. You’re too funny.” Jasmine giggled softly.

“Yeah. I know.” Jongup smiled. They were close to each other, really close. Too close. I couldn’t hear much of what they were saying. I unconsciously leaned closer. “You know. You’re really cute.” Jasmine added. “You’re not so bad yourself.” Jongup returned the compliment. Jasmine blushed a little. I accidentally stepped on a twig and it snapped.

The two looked back in my direction, I quickly ducked remaining hidden. “It was probably nothing.” Jongup said turning back around. I’m not nothing! I felt my insides burn up and something inside my chest tightened.

Jasmine rested her head on Jongup’s shoulder and Jongup didn’t even do anything about it. They just sat there staring out into the river talking. I don’t know why but I felt angry. But angry at who? I felt hurt. But hurt because of what?

 

 

A/N: Hey everyone! I was thinking (while I was writing Chapter 5 and 6) if you guys want me to write a separate short story/backstory of how Himchan and Jongup met and how Yongguk and Zelo met. I'll totally do it. It was just an idea that came to me. If you guys want me to do that I'll be glad to. Thank you! :)