Chapter 15: Shady Lady

Born Sinner

-Kris’s POV-

We walked all throughout the night and all throughout the day, we walked all throughout the next night, and we are currently walking through the next morning…without a single break. Which isn’t all that bad if you’re a werewolf, vampire, or sphinx. But for the rest of us it’s a long journey.

We were able to eat as we moved but we couldn’t stop to sleep or rest. It was a really quiet walk to the beginning but after a while everyone started to speak up again, everyone but Jayde.

“Alright. We’ll stop here.” Jayde finally announced. Daehyun was the first to fall to the ground. “My legs~…” Daehyun groaned stretching his limps out across the ground. I walked over to the human and squatted. “How are you feeling?” I asked with a smile that turned out more to be a smirk.

“Pooped out. But other than that I’m feeling better. My nose is just stuffy and my throat is a little sore.” He said with a smile. I raised an eyebrow waiting for what more he had to say. “But Youngjae doesn’t know that.” He whispered with a cheeky smile.

“I’m listening.” I said rubbing my chin. “I get all of his attention being sick.” Daehyun explained. I watched him carefully. Daehyun started groaning in pain holding his stomach. I was a little impressed he actually looked like he was in pain. “Youngjae~.” The human groaned. There was nothing. “Youngjae~...” Daehyun groaned a little louder his voice getting a little higher. He started coughing and he couldn’t stop.

I smirked a little. He started wheezing a little trying to gasp for air. “Wow, you’re a pretty good actor.” I clapped a little. “This…isn’t…part of it.” He coughed. “No?” I repeated. “Daehyun.” Youngjae said quickly running to the elder’s care.

He helped the elder sit up and pat his back rubbing it gently. He also gave him something to drink and his coughing stopped. “Hey Kris.” Youngjae smiled. I waved to him. “Sorry for taking so long, I had went out with Jasmine to look for this plant.” Youngjae said his attention turning back to Daehyun.

He held out a container that looked like it had some gel stuff in it. “The plant has this gel stuff that will help you with any pain.” Youngjae further explained. “You said your chest was hurting right?” Youngjae said. Daehyun nodded holding his chest. “Well this will help. It’ll cure any pain instantly.” Youngjae said opening the container. It stunk.

The smell was very strong, it even made my eyes water a little. But a slight smirk came across my face, I recognized the smell, I knew exactly what it was.

Daehyun looked at me with a wary face, then back at Youngjae. “Youngjae? What is that?” Daehyun asked him. “I already told you. Now lay down.” The young mage said laying Daehyun down on the ground, but Daehyun sat back up. “Wait, what does that do?” Daehyun was getting anxious.

I bit my lip trying hard not to smile…this is so terrible. “Youngjae pushed him back down. “Kris can you hold him down for me?” Youngjae asked. “Of course…anything to help the sickly.” I smiled pinning the so-called “sick” Daehyun down. He tried to wiggle out of my grip but his attempts failed. “Jasmine said it’ll really help. It’ll also help revive your immune system. It’ll burn…a lot. But your insides will feel all better. It probably won’t hurt all that much considering how sick you are.” Youngjae said removing Daehyun’s shirt.

“So, Dr.Youngjae. What happens if you’re not really all that sick and you put that stuff on?” I asked as he took some of the gel in his hands. “This stuff is pretty strong. So it’ll burn like crazy, it’ll feel like your chest is on fire. But it’s strengthens your immune system.” Youngjae simply explained. “Wait. What was that first part?” Daehyun asked, but Youngjae didn’t answer and started rubbing the gel stuff onto his chest. “Wait Youngjae….Ooooh~ my gosh it’s soo cold.” Daehyun shivered.

Once Youngjae was done rubbing in the gel he stood back up. “Now rest here, and I’ll be back later to check on you.” The mage instructed walking away. I studied Youngjae a bit as he walked away. He didn’t look too happy. Did he know?

“That wasn’t so bad.” Daehyun sighed. I looked at him. One, I counted. “What do you think?” he looked at me. Two. “I am pretty good aren’t I?” he smiled to himself proudly. “3.” I said out loud. Just then Daehyun’s eyes widened and his neck started turning a bright red. “A-A-h…m-my ch-ch-Aaaaaaaahhh!!” he screamed in pain holding his chest. He rolled around crying.

“AAAAAHHH!!” He cried. I patted his shoulder. “You sure out did yourself this time.” I smiled, and stood up. “AAAAAAHHAHAAAAAAAAHH!” Daehyun continued to cry. Jasmine looked over at us. I just shook my head motioning that she had nothing to be concerned about. She just nodded, slowly turning away.

I walked over to Youngjae leaving Daehyun alone. “You know?” I asked him. He nodded. “Daehyun’s an idiot.” He muttered to himself. He looked angry and hurt at the same time. His eyes were glossy and puffy. “He should know that I’m smart and that I’ll easily be able to tell that he’s faking.” Youngjae grumbled his voice cracking a bit.

“So that’s why you put that stuff on him?” I said leaning my back against a nearby tree. Youngjae nodded. “You know that stuff hurts like crazy. It’s really bad.” I told him. “II don’t care…” he sniffled. “…He shouldn’t have done that in the first place.” He said wiping away stray tears with his arm.

I didn’t say anything and just listened, ready for him to talk, he seemed really hurt. “I don’t play with stuff like that. When…When Daehyun was actually sick, I was worried. I was so worried and…and scared.” He began.

“My mother was sick all the time and I grew up taking care of her the best I could, because I was afraid…I was afraid that she might…” he didn’t finish. “You were afraid that she might die.” I finished for him. “…but she died any way…” streams of tears streamed silently down his cheeks. I nodded in understanding why he was scared and mad at Daehyun. “I’m not scared of anything. B-But something like that, someone I care about so much getting sick, terrifies me.” He sniffled.

I rest a hand on his shoulder. “It’s okay…but I don’t think he meant anything like that, to hurt you. He was kind of blinded to see that. He just wanted your attention.” I spoke calmly.

Youngjae just looked away wiping more tears away. “You should probably tell him how you feel.” I suggested. “I don’t want to talk to him right now.” He said quietly. “That’s cool, you can talk to him whenever you’re ready.” I smiled assuringly. I gave him a pat on the shoulder before letting him alone. Lee walked up to me. “Jayde and I found this town nearby. We’re gonna go check it out.” He told me.

“Okay~, why?” I asked curiously. Lee just shrugged. “It looks abandoned, it might’ve been attacked by the DM. There might be clues there to. Also there may be some useful tools as well.”” He said. “Okay.” I said. “Make sure to bring your weapons with you in case we bump into some trouble.” He added. “I always have my weapons on me. Even when I’m sleeping.” I said. He nodded. “Well, I’ll go tell the others.” He said.

I looked over at Jayde who was ready to go, staring out into the distance. I walked up to her. “I don’t understand. You can think a lot, but you can’t express your feelings whatsoever.” I stated. Jayde sighed sounding annoyed, but she nodded. “Well, to me it sorta ties together. You’re thinking eventually leads to how you feel towards something and vice versa. Your emotions can also alter your thinking.” I explained. Jayde looked at me.

“Would you stop? Please.” She said. “Does it look like I’m really going to stop?” I asked her realistically. She growled under her breath. “The only way I could possibly stop is if you or someone else kills me.” I said blatantly. She just looked at me. “You know what that means? That means I’m never giving up on you.” I said.

She narrowed her eyes at me. “What is your motive?” She asked not sounding happy at all. I sighed, she doesn’t know…she’s taking this too logically. “…Mmm…well I am a shadow seeker, we pretty much live life together doing whatever we want. We’re free spirits ya know?” I said. “Well that’s you…not me.” She said.

“Jayde come on. I know you can do it.” I said. “Kris. That’s enough. I’m not going to listen to you anymore, talking about stuff that I can’t possibly do! It’s dangerous. You don’t know what you’re saying. You’re just talking…junk.” She spat out of frustration. “You’re controlling it now.” I said. She gritted her teeth. “Cause…I’m trying not to hurt you.” She said painfully through her teeth. She looked like she was in actual pain.

“Jayde, we’re ready.” Lee walked up to us. “Okay.” She gritted. “Jayde…are you alright?” Lee asked concerned. “Yeah. I’m fine!” she snapped walking off. Lee looked at me strangely. “Let’s go.” I sighed. Honestly, I do kind of like Jayde. I’ve met her in the past a few times. She’s really cool and caring, but she’s locked up inside. If she could just be herself and let go…she would be amazing.