Chapter 41: Crooked Smile

Born Sinner

Zelo and Kris ran back down the stairs all the way to the first floor, only to bump into Yongguk who was carrying an unconscious Youngjae.

“Yongguk? What are you…”Zelo’s voice trailed as his eyes landed on the mage.

“What happened?” Kris asked “I don’t know…all I know is that he was fine before and then he fainted after breaking Daehyun’s curse.” The vampire explained. “He used too much magic.” Zelo whispered in worry. “What?” The other two asked confused.

Just then Zelo’s eyes widened at a sudden thought. “Dr. Sunhi is here! Maybe she can help.” He said. “I’ll go get her.” He said about to run off when the entire palace suddenly shook. “What was that?” Bang said looking up. But Kris and Zelo smiled. “Jayde is here.” Zelo said before he and Kris ran out of the palace.

 

“What the ?” Lee grumbled being thrown off balance by the sudden shaking of the building. He looked upwards at the roof to see what was going on.

A huge smile grew on his face, “No way.”

Aires looked up as well, her eyes widened. “How is that even possible?”

“I didn’t lose my touch.” Lee smirked back at his sister. “I was just getting started.” He held onto the banister and kicked her in the face with both of his feet.

 

“Impossible!” Minzy spat, seeing the other Sphinx. Himchan stared in disbelief as well. But the moment was cut short by the sound of Min screeching in pain as Minzy stabbed him in his thigh. “That’s it.” Himchan said unable to watch anymore.

He ran up to her and punched her in her face, his fists on fire. Knocking her over to the side. Minzy hissed, touching her now cracked cheek. “I don’t approve of hitting girls. But you’ve crossed the line.” Himchan said sternly. “Himchan.” Min whimpered, but he ignored him.

“You have no reason to say such things to your younger brother. He’s done nothing to you.” Himchan spat throwing flames at her. Minzy dodged them with ease. “You’re no sister. You’re just a blood- leech.” Himchan growled he placed his hands on the ground and burned the earth under her. “Ah!” Minzy fell on her behind, her feet burnet.

 

“Jayde.” Tae’s eyes lit up at the sight of his friend. Taecyeon punched the worn-out hybrid in the face, forcing him to stumble over and fall on his behind.

Yongnam blocked Taecyeon’s attack. He kicked him hard in his stomach and immediately elbowed him in his check then his neck. Taecyeon gagged, stumbling backwards.

The human ran to Tae, seeing that he was still sitting on the ground. “Hey, are you okay?” Yongnam asked him. Tae shook his head, sniffling. “He’s right. I’m weak. I’m not helping anyone.” A tear streamed down his cheek. Yongnam sighed.

“Don’t listen to him. Your friends are depending on you. They need your help.” He told him. But Tae shook his head. “He said I’m only hurting them. He’s right. I can’t even beat him.”

“He doesn’t know anything, because if he did, the he’d know that he shouldn’t say such things to his younger brother. He would know that he has to help his siblings, not put them down.” Yongnam said. Tae sniffled. “You’re not weak, otherwise your friends wouldn’t depend on you. You said you had a twin brother too right?” Yongnam continued. Tae nodded.

“He’s depending on you too. Yeah, you may have a few scratches, but all that means is that you’re not done yet.” Yongnam held out his head. “Don’t you want to prove him wrong?” Tae took his hand firmly and he pulled him up to his feet.

 

Jasmine threw a blade at Daehyun, but he easily cut it down with his sword. “Uh oh. Now he’s really mad.” Jongup remarked.

Jasmine backed up muttering a spell when she suddenly slipped on ice, falling on her back. She groaned as the ice shattered under her at the collision. “It’s really sad, you seemed pretty cool.” Jongup shrugged, feeling more revved up knowing that Jayde was back.

 

Lightning struck down, but Jayde easily dodged it. Karina threw three ninja stars that split into 9 more stars as they dashed at Jayde. Jayde held out her hand and the blades reversed their direction back to Karina. Karina bent backwards, barely dodging them.

“You should have died.” Karina said in irritation. “But I didn’t.” Jayde stomped the roof and the ground beneath Karina shattered. She quickly jumped in the air, flipping onto the other side of Jayde. “That’s okay, I can do it again. And I’ll make sure you’re dead.” She gritted through her teeth.

With that she blew into the air and a strong wind hi Jayde hard. Jayde bent down on one knee, anchoring herself down against the wind.

Karina narrowed her eyes frustration slowly growing inside her, seeing that Jayde had full control of herself. Jayde stood up and raised her hand. The moisture around her turned into water droplets. Jayde tiled her hand back. The droplets turned into ice shards and darted straight at Karina.

Karina swiped her hand in attempt to melt the shards. However, the action delayed and the ice shards didn’t melt until they were right in front of her, splashing her a little.

Jayde threw three knives at her. Only one of them barely grazed Karina’s arm. Jayde raised a slight eyebrow at this. Karina only laughed. “You got lucky.” She smiled deviously.

 

Zelo ran back inside the palace with Dr. Sunhi. The two ran over to where Youngjae had been laid on the ground, Yongguk standing by his side.

Yongguk explained to Dr. Sunhi what he had told Zelo and Kris. Then Zelo explained to her what Daehyun had told him. Yongguk was shocked by the news as well, hearing it for the first time.

Dr. Sunhi observed the young mage carefully. “He has a pulse. But it’s not stable. It seems to me that he’s passed out from exhaustion.” Dr. Sunhi reported after a few minutes. “But after what you said Zelo…it could be worse.”

“So, can you help him?” Zelo asked hopefully. “I’ll see what I can do. But you guys should go out and help your friends.” She answered. Zelo nodded and ran back outside. However, Yongguk didn’t move.

Dr. Sunhi looked at him. “Are you not going?” She questioned. He shook his head. “I made a promise to his mom.” He said. Dr. Sunhi nodded in understanding. “I’m not a healer so there’s really not much I can do.” She confessed.

“But…I’m sure he wouldn’t fight without being prepared.” She said.

Yongguk bent down and searched the mage’s pockets. He found the small bottle with dark blue liquid in it. “Could this be it?” He questioned, pulling it out. Dr. Sunhi studied the bottle then shrugged. “Should we try it?” Yongguk asked. Dr. Sunhi was hesitant. She wasn’t sure what it’d do, but she couldn’t see why Youngjae would carry anything dangerous. She finally slowly nodded.

Yongguk took a deep breath and carefully lifted Youngjae’s head. Dr. Sunhi gently opened his mouth and Yongguk poured three drops down his throat and tilted his head back, allowing him to swallow.

The two waited there nervously. Both of them prayed that whatever they used didn’t hurt him.

It wasn’t until a couple of minutes later when Youngjae began to cough. He gasped as his eyes weakly opened. “I need more.” He said weakly to a relieved Yongguk. “What does this do?” Yongguk asked first.

“Bom made it for me…she said if anything happens it will restore most of my strength. I need to take the whole thing.” Youngjae barely whispered, breathing heavily.

Yongguk thought for a bit before giving the mage more of the medicine. However, he only gave him half of it before closing the small bottle and stuffing it in his own pocket.

“What are you doing?” Youngjae tried to spat but ended up coughing as a result. “I need the whole thing.” Dr. Sunhi helped him sit up. “You’re going to take the whole thing and go back out there and fight.” Yongguk said standing up. “Exactly.” Youngjae said, not understanding where he was going with this.

“And what happens when you pass out again? Do you have any more medicine?” Bang questioned.

Youngjae didn’t respond, catching onto what he was saying. “What you need to do is rest. I’ll give you the rest of it when the battle is over.” Bang promised.

“I’m not just going to sit here and do nothing. I want to help.” The younger insisted. “Youngjae you need to take care of yourself.” Dr. Sunhi said, agreeing with the vampire.

“You’ve helped a lot already.” Bang assured. “But you guys need my help. How are we going to take on Karina without everyone?” Youngjae urged only to receive a smile from the elder. “We don’t need to worry about Karina anymore.” He said.

Youngjae looked at him not understanding his words. “I don’t know how, but Jayde is here.” Yongguk told him. The mage’s jaw dropped.

Before anything else could be said soldier stormed into the castle. Yongguk narrowed his eyes and pulled out his sword. “Let me help.” Youngjae still insisted, trying to stand up only to fall on his hands and knees.

“I didn’t tell Daehyun you fainted. So the least you can do is rest.” Yongguk said. Youngjae sighed in defeat. “Fine, but when I feel strong enough to stand I’m going to fight.” He said.

Dr. Sunhi stood up next to Bang, ready to help him. “Maybe we should’ve left him unconscious.” Bang chuckled.

 

The Dark Magic's numbers began to dwindle fast as the group's confidence grew more and more.

Aires kicked at Lee but the elder vampire grabbed her foot and slammed her on her back. Aires hissed in pain. "What happened? Tired already?" Lee taunted.

Aires growled and jumped to her feet, only to have Lee kick her over the banister. She quickly grabbed onto the railing, struggling to hold on due to the sharp pain in her back.

Lee leaned over the banister and shook his head. "This is what happens when you think you can beat Me." he plucked her fingers off of the bar.

 

Together Min and Himchan fought Minzy. Minzy threw knives at Min while he wasn't looking but Himchan melted them before they could reach him. Then Min high kicked Minzy in her Temple forcing her to stumble over.

 

Tae transformed into a wolf and rammed Taecyeon into the castle wall. Yongnam followed up by throwing his own sharp weapons at the DM member.

 

Jasmine yelled as water sharply whipped her arm, leaving a red mark. Daehyun stuck bis foot out as she ran at Jongup causing the worn out mage to trip and fall on her face. Jongup pinned her down as Daehyun tied up and wrists to prevent her from using any more spells.

 

Jayde and Karina changed to hand to hand combat. Jayde easily blocked the elder Sphinx's attacks. Karina was getting more frustrated by Jayde's confidence and control. "We don't have to keep fighting like this. We can end it right here." Jayde said.

"I won't stop until you die!" Karina hissed throwing a punch, but Jayde caught her wrist. She pulled her into her and elbowed her in the face.

Karina stumbled backwards, holding her eye. "I don't know what your problem is with me. I've never done anything wrong to you." Jayde said. "Shut up!" Karina spat.

Jayde narrowed her eyes at her. "You've hurt so many people because of this war. You've divided families, forced people into slavery, messed up relationships. You did all of this. You ruined lives. All because of what? You wanted the world?" She stalked towards the elder.

"People died because of your selfishness. You had everything you wanted back at home. You even ruined my life to get all that. And all you can say is shut up because things aren't going your way?" Jayde's irises turned a fierce silver as she stalked closer.

Karina smiled crookedly her own irises turning a fiery gold.

"This is where it ends Karina. You are going to pay for what you've done. You don't deserve the power of a Sphinx." Jayde said firmly.

"Think again." Karina sneered and snapped her fingers.

Three bolts of lightning struck Jayde.

 

Jayde groaned being forced to her knees. Karina laughed, "I told you sister...I always get what I want."

"No...you don't." Jayde trembled as she pointed the palm of her hand at her. The lightening traveled through her body and was redirected at Karina, hitting her in the center of her chest.

"Ah!!" Karina screamed.

Jayde stood to her feet throwing several jabs and kicks at the vulnerable Sphinx. Karina stumbled, unable to block the fierce attacks.

Jayde went to kick Karina on her head. Karina caught her ankle and electrocuted it. But Jayde hit Karina's temple with the heel of her foot forcing her to release her grip and stumble back further.

Jayde threw another knife that grazed Karina's arm at the same wound from before. Karina hissed in pain, holding her arm. "You're not going to win, no matter what you do." She hissed.

"That's where you're wrong. I already won. I won a long time ago. I have friends I care about and who care about me. Who do you have?" Jayde challenged.

Karina's irises flared in anger as her hands glowed gold.

She threw several bolts at Jayde in rage. Jayde easily dodged them for Karina’s aim was sloppy. “I don’t need any puny creatures as friends.” She spat angrily.

“It doesn’t matter.” I already know your weakness.” Jayde walked up closer to her. “No you don’t.” Karina switched to throwing blades at her. Only one of them grazed against Jayde’s leg.

“It’s me.”

With that Jayde held out her hand and silver-like static shot at Karina. “Ah!!” Karina cried out.

The static drained Karina’s fierce energy and her power, forcing her to her knees.

Jayde put her hand down and the static stopped.

The young Sphinx walked up to her elder sister. “So you learned how to drain a Sphinx’s power?” Karina breathed heavily. The younger didn’t respond. “Who taught you? Only one person knows how to do that. Did he teach you? Junsu? Did he tell you my weakness?!” Karina nearly screamed. “It’s not fair! You were always his favorite! He liked you best!” She cried angrily.

“That’s not true. He loved us both. He just never gave you everything you wanted like everyone else did.” Jayde said. Karina glared at her. “So what are you going to do now? Kill me?” She hissed.

“No. My job was to take you down. I already did that. It’s up to the ones who were hurt by this war to choose what to do with you.” Karina struggled to stand back up, but Jayde spun kicked her off the roof, sending her flying helplessly down the castle.

 

Zelo yelped as something crashed into the ground in front of him. He leaned over to see what it was. His jaw dropped as his body trembled a little in fear. “Guys!” he called, earning his friend’s attention.

The other 6 stopped what they were doing and ran to the maknae. Lee jumped down from the balcony and joined the group.

 

Everyone stood there, struck, staring down at the Sphinx. “Did we…did we win?” Min whispered in shock. Karina growled in irritation, about to sit up but Daehyun and Jongup pinned her back down with all their strength.

“I think so.” Himchan whispered as well.

They all looked up at the rooftop. Staring down at them, her arms folded and a small smile on her face. “I think…I think she wants us to choose what to do with her.” Zelo said in realization.

“So what do we do?” Min asked, feeling confused and anxious. “Ugh, you guys are stupid.” Karina muttered in irritation. “That’s not nice!” Tae spat.

“Let’s just kill her.” Lee said, not understanding why it was even a question. “That seems kind of…harsh.” Zelo said. Himchan and Tae nodded in agreement.

“What?! That’s not harsh compared to what she did! She almost killed Jayde!” Lee spat.

“Yeah but…I don’t think anyone deserves to die.” Zelo said.

Lee rolled his eyes in irritation.

“She’s too dangerous to keep alive.” Kris said, agreeing with Lee. “He’s right.” Tae sighed. “She’s too powerful. Once she regains her energy she’ll be able to start all this again.” Kris went on.

Everyone was silent for a moment thinking about his words, before they slowly gave in.

Karina smirked, her energy slowly beginning to come back to her. She dug her fists deep into the ground for leverage.

Lee pulled out a pearl dagger that he had been saving. “Lee you can do it.” Kris said. “Don’t have to ask me twice.” Lee scoffed.

Zelo, Min, and Tae covered their eyes with their hands.

Jayde’s eyes widened, but before she could warn them Karina pushed herself up, breaking out of Daehyun and Jongup’s hold.

Kris quickly jumped over her, pressing his knee against her stomach to keep her down, temporarily. “Lee now!” He ordered, pinning her shoulders. Without wasting another second Lee bent down and struck the sharp pearl dagger through her heart.

Her movements halted and her body went limp.

 

Everyone was quiet for another moment.

Kris and Lee stood back up. Zelo and the twins slowly lowered their hands. “I hope this was the right thing to do.” Zelo whispered.

“It was. She was too dangerous. She nearly tried to attack us again.” Kris assured, getting only a head nod from the younger.

At that moment the dark magic members scattered in fear at the death of their leader, unsure and fearful of what was to come next. “What should we do about those guys?” Jongup questioned. “We’ll take care of tit.” Yongnam assured them as he and the others passed by.

 

Yongguk, Youngjae, and Dr. Sunhi ran out of the palace to see what was going on, hearing the commotion. Dr. Sunhi went to speak with Natasha while Yongguk and Youngjae went to join their friends.

Youngjae held onto Yongguk’s shoulder for support as they made their way over to the group. “Are you okay?” Daehyun immediately asked him. Youngjae nodded and his eyes widened at the sight of Karina. “D-Did you guys really…?” he didn’t dare to finish his sentence.

“We only killed her. Jayde did all of the hard stuff.” Kris smiled as the said Sphinx walked up to them.

“Jayde!” Tae cheered, jumping on top of her, hugging her tightly. The sphinx stumbled back a little. “O-Okay Tae.” Jayde struggled to breathe as his hug choked her.

“I missed you so much. I thought you died.” Tae said, his eyes getting watery as he climbed off of her. “But you’re alive!” he cheered, getting happy again. Jayde chuckled at this.

“What happened?” Kris asked curiously.

The sphinx shrugged. “I had honestly thought I was dead too, but my dad ended up saving me.” She said. “Your dad?!” Min and Tae said in unison.

She nodded. “He showed me everything about my past and what I had forgotten. I was only with him for a couple of days then I came back here.” She explained. “And that’s when you joined the vigilantes?” Kris asked.

“Well, I kind of brought them together. They were passionate about fighting back.” She smiled at the memory of when she met up with the four.

“Why didn’t you come see us?” Min whimpered. “We really thought you were gone.” He pouted.

“I couldn’t. It would have been the wrong timing. I had to hide my identity, because Karina didn’t know that I was alive. The best way to get her would have been by surprised. I couldn’t use any of my powers at all or else she would’ve known.” Jayde explained.

The others nodded in understanding.

“Well we’re glad you’re back.” Kris said, unable to hide his large grin. “I’m glad to see that you guys came together and didn’t give up.” Jayde smiled looking at everyone. “You’re not…mad at us?” Yongguk suddenly asked.

Jayde shook her head. “Everyone makes mistakes and in the end you all came through and made up for them. You didn’t give up and stuck together and fought ten times harder. That’s all that matters.” She smiled at him.

Yongguk looked away in embarrassment. “I’m sorry.” He apologized.

“I told you it’s okay.” She chuckled, catching everyone off guard, except for Kris whose smile only grew wider.

“What do we do now?” Daehyun asked.

“First we need to get Karina’s minions and put them in the underground dungeons. Then we need to tell the rest of the council members that this is over and start putting this place back together.” Lee said getting straight to business.

“Are you guys going to stay?!” Tae and Min asked Youngjae, Daehyun, Zelo, Yongguk, Jongup, Himchan, and Kris.

The six friends all looked at each other before answering. “At the moment we don’t have anywhere else to really go. So yeah we’ll stay and help.” Bang smiled. “What about you Kris? Are you and your shadow seeker friends staying?” Tae asked hopefully.

“Yeah. I’m sure they won’t mind.” Kris shrugged.

“Yay!” The twins cheered. “Now let’s take care of Karna’s servants.” Lee said and with that the group split up.

 

 

Aires and Jasmine were brought up to Lee after they had been chained up. Lee smirked at them. “You two look less annoying in chains.” He taunted.

Aires rolled her eyes in annoyance. Jasmine didn’t dare to look at him.

“Hm…I guess you aren’t the little miss goodie two shoes I thought you were.” Lee said to Jasmine, who glared at him. “I guess I should apologize for making that mistake. But, I was right about you being a snake.” He chuckled actually enjoying the situation. “Take them away.” He ordered.

 

Himchan, Jongup, Tae and Min watched as Taecyeon and Minzy reluctantly passed by them, their arms chained tightly behind their back. Minzy sent a sharp glare to the twins before being forced to move forward. Min and Tae looked down shamefully.

Himchan sighed and rested a hand on both of their shoulders. “Don’t let them ruin your mood. Ignore whatever they said to you. You guys are a big help. We couldn’t have done this without you.” He told them. “If you were like them you would end up in chains as well.”

“Exactly and you wouldn’t have been on the winning team.” Jongup inputted. The two nodded.

“I’d rather be on your guys’ team than on one with them on it. You guys are way cooler.” Jongup said, ruffling the two twins’ hair, causing them to laugh a little.

 

Youngjae, Daehyun, Yongguk, and Zelo watched Mr. Yoo and Mr. Woo get arrested, their arms being forced behind their backs and chained together.

Youngjae watched his father, a glare glued to his face. The man looked at him and scoffed, “Are you enjoying this?” he taunted. But the young mage didn’t respond. “You think you’re better now because I’m in chains?” The man laughed.

Youngjae gritted his teeth. “Are you happy now because I got what I deserve? Are you happy that you don’t have to see me anymore?” The man who ruined your life, the one who killed your mother.”

Youngjae trembled bawling up his fist, fighting back the tears in his eyes.

“Youngjae.” Daehyun rested his hand on the younger’s shoulder.

“Yah! You should watch yourself. We can have you killed.” Yongguk threatened.

“Kill me! I’ll just haunt him in his sleep.” The man sneered. Yongguk bared his fangs angrily at him. A bo staff was shoved in the man’s back, forcing him to walk.

“I’ll make a special request to Lee for him.” Yongguk growled, stomping off to the said vampire. Youngjae looked away a tear streaming down his cheek. “I hate him so much.” He said barely above a whisper. However, Zelo smiled.

“Youngjae don’t allow him to make you upset anymore.” He suddenly said, earning the elder’s attention. “Although he said those things. He’s scared.” Zelo said. Youngjae gave him a confused look.

“I saw it in his eyes. He’s scared about what’s going to happen to him.” Zelo announced proudly. “So don’t be upset anymore.”

 

Jayde walked over to the front of the kingdom where the large golden gates once were. She stood there looking out in the distance. Kris walked dup next to her. “It’s finally over.” He smiled.

Jayde nodded, glad that it was. “So, what are you thinking so hard about?” he suddenly asked her. Jayde sighed a small smile on her face. “I think it’s time for me to go back home.” She announced.

Kris’s eyes grew wide. “D-Do you have to?”

Jayde nodded. “There are some things that I need to fix.” She said. Kris noticed her smile grow a little. “It’s been so long since I’ve been home.” She said.

Kris’s heart sunk a little. He didn’t want her to go, but he knew that she wanted to go back and be with her dad. “Back at home things are messed up because of my mom and Karina. And now that Karina is gone, I can return home and help my dad. And set things straight again.” She explained.

“We’re all going to miss you…I’m going to miss you a lot.” Kris finally said.

Jayde chuckled a little. “I’ll be back. I’ll come back and visit whenever I get the chance.” She promised. “When everything is fixed in the Sphinx world, I’ll come back and stay for good.”

Kris’s eyes lit up at this. “Really?!” He asked. The Sphinx nodded. “Of course. I’ve been here almost all my life, and I’ve made a lot of friends. I can’t just leave all of a sudden.” She said. Kris smiled, “I’ll wait for you. I’ll wait patiently every day for that day.”