Chapter 4: Truth Or Dare

Born Sinner

-Yongguk's POV-

On my way back to my room, I heard yelling coming from the Council of 5’s conference room. I looked over at Youngjae. He just shrugged. Out of curiosity I walked slowly up to the double doors which, were cracked open. “This is outrageous! I can’t believe that you won’t do it!” Queen Gemini spat. She looked angry.

Lee sat there looking annoyed as usual, with his feet propped on top of the table. “This isn’t a game.” She babbled on. “I know it’s not.” Lee said. “The dark magic is coming in fast. We need to do something King Slay said. “No we don’t.” Yang argued back.

“This isn’t something that can be negotiated Yang. Talking it out won’t do anything we must fight back.” Slay urged. “I’m fully aware of that thank you very much.” Yang said in irritation. “Then Lee, why won’t you send your men out now?!” Gemini yelled.

“I already sent out 3 spies. I don’t need to send anyone else out.” Lee seemed to be the only calm one, other than Kuam who hadn’t said a word yet.

“Kuam!” Gemini gave up on Lee in frustration. “I can’t force him to change his mind.” Kuam said. “But you can do something.” Slay inputted. “We don’t need to send anyone out right now. I will send them out when I know it’s the right time. And I have complete confidence in doing so.” Lee spoke through his teeth, he was beginning to get mad.

“What if we don’t feel it now is the right time? What if we’re confident in now?” Gemini spat. “Are you in charge of the Military? Do you even have experience in fighting?” Lee challenged. The fairy queen didn’t respond. “Thought so.” Lee scoffed. “You little! Just because you are part of the Council of 5 doesn’t mean you can be rude and disrespectful to us, we’re older than you.” Slay scolded.

“Um…yes it does. We share equal power, besides Kuam. And besides I’ve been part of this council way longer than you and Gemini.” Lee retorted plainly. Slay burned with anger. Kuam and Yang didn’t say anything.

There was dead silence in the room.

“I agree with Lee.” Yang spoke up. Gemini and Slay gasped, as if he had betrayed them. “How can we trust him? What if he’s waiting for our destruction?” Gemini burst. “Oh my gosh. You’re such a drama queen.” Lee rolled his eyes.

“He could be like his sister!” Gemini accused. Lee smiled crookedly with his mouth open. “Is my sister part of the Council of 5?” he scoffed finding the whole thing ridiculous. Gemini ignored him. “Well, its Lee’s decision and majority of us agree with him. Besides I see where he’s coming from.” Kuam said. “And Lee isn’t a traitor, trust me.” Yang said. “Yeah, he’s too cold blooded to be one.” Slay grumbled. “Well thank you.” Lee smirked. Slay just sneered at him. “Well that ends that.” Kuam said in relief.

I moved away from the door and quietly walked up the stairs to my room. “What do you think is going on?” Youngjae’s voice squeaked. I shrugged and opened the door to see Zelo up and ready.

“Morning Yongguk.” He smiled sweetly. At that moment I completely forgot about everything and smiled back waving at him. “Morning Junhong.” I greeted. However, his eyes went down to my shirt in confusion.

I looked down as well, to see Youngjae hanging at the edge of my shirt. My eyes widened. “Oh! I’m sorry.” I said placing him back into my hand.

“You almost killed me!” Youngjae squeaked angrily. “Heh…but at least I didn’t.” I joked uneasily. “Is that…” Zelo walked closer to us. “…Youngjae? ‘ His eyes widened.

“What happened to you?” The maknae asked. I placed Youngjae on the dresser for him to explain to Zelo all that had happened and I went into the bathroom to get ready for training.

By the time I had finished, Zelo was gone. “Where did Zelo go?” I asked the mini Youngjae who was sitting down swinging his feet at the edge of the dresser. “He left for training. We’re late.” Youngjae informed.

“Awe~, who knew my little brother would be so cute.” I teased lightly poking him. “Yah!” He spat. “Wanna ride on my shoulder?” I offered still teasing him a little. He only looked at me, but gave in.

“Only because I don’t want you to drop me again.” He said hopping onto the top of my shoulder, and held on tightly on to my shirt. “Ready?” I asked him. He was hesitant, but nodded.

I did my best to not walk too fast, but I was able to go at a decent pace. The only minor problem was going down the stairs, he almost fell off.

I took two rolls of bread from the breakfast table. I gave Youngjae a few small pieces, and then I ate the rest. By the time we got outside everyone else was already out, except for Jayde and Lee. “Hi Yongguk.” Jihoon waved. “Hey. You guys are training with us too?” I asked. He nodded. “Sweet. That’ll be fun.” I smiled. I was honestly a little excited, I liked those guys they’re cool.

“Where’s Youngjae?” Daehyun asked looking around. “What makes you think I know where he is?” I said deciding to mess with him a little bit. “Zelo told me that he was with you…All! This morning.” Daehyun said walking up to me.

“That is very true. I had to spend some quality time with my new younger brother.” I smirked. Daehyun looked at me suspicious. I felt Youngjae crawl down my arm into my hand, hiding. “Why? Is there a problem?” I questioned continuing to mess with him.

“Are you…perhaps…jealous?” I smiled cheekily. The younger didn’t say anything and continued to stare at me with suspicion. I took a step back creating enough space between us and held out my hand.

Daehyun’s jaw dropped. “What the?” Himchan gasped. The others surrounded us. “Youngjae…You’re so…You’re so tiny!” Jihoon squealed. “He’s shorter than Taeil.” Minhyuk remarked. Taeil just looked at him.

“What…what happened?” Jaehyo asked in disbelief. “A pixie shrunk me.” Youngjae said sounding upset. “A pixie?” Jaehyo repeated. “How did you even encounter a pixie?” Himchan questioned not understanding. “It’s a long story.” Youngjae sighed. “His voice is so cute. Now he really sounds like a baby.” Jongup said poking him causing him to fall on his behind.

“Yah! Don’t poke me.” Youngjae spat. “And grumpy.” Jongup added. “Looks like you all are here on time, except for Youngjae and Bang.” We suddenly heard Jayde’s voice. Everyone broke the huddle and lined back up.

“I won’t penalize you for being late this time.” Jayde told Jae and I. We nodded. Lee soon joined us seconds later. “For most of you, today is your third day of training. But today you all will be doing the same thing.” Jayde began.

“Wait a second. Where’s Juliet?” Lee questioned before Jayde could continue on. “He’s over there.” Jayde said referring to the tiny person in my hand. Lee smiled cheekily and walked over to us. “What the heck happened to you?” He started laughing.

“I was shrunk by a pixie.” Youngjae muttered. The vampire continued to laugh obnoxiously, he was enjoying himself. “What was a pixie doing with you?” He laughed. “I was just holding him and then this happened.” Youngjae said. This only made Lee laugh more.

“Why were you holding a pixie?” He asked in between laughs. “He was trying to kidnap Tae.” Youngjae said. Lee’s cheeky smile quickly vanished back into a frown. “What was the Pixie’s name?” He questioned more seriously now. “Stephen Peters.” Youngjae answered.

“Was there anyone else there?” Lee quizzed. “Yeah…um…Bang and I were there, the Pixie, Min and Tae…Oh! And what were their names? Minzy and Taecyeon.” Youngjae recalled.

A slight growl emitted from between Lee’s lips, at the sound of Min and Tae’s elder siblings’ names. “I’ll be right back.” He gritted through his teeth walking away.

“Alright you guys, let’s get started.” Jayde said.

We did our usual ‘warm u’ and then Jayde explained to us the new thing that we were going to do today. It was a little complicated, as she used new terms that we hadn’t heard before and that she said we’d have to remember.

The whole thing was like a large obstacle course, with thousands of obstacles inside.

“You all will be divided up into teams of three. Four teams of three.” Jayde instructed. “I’ll choose your teams.” She said as the 13 of us lined up in a single filed line, facing her.

Team one, Yongguk, Jiho, and Taeil. Team two, Daehyun, Ukwon, and Zelo. Team three, Jaehyo, Minhyuk, and Jongup. And finally Team four, Himchan, Jihoon, and Kyung.” As she chose the teams we all grouped together with our members.

“Wait, what about me?” Youngjae squeaked. “You’re with me of course.” Daehyun said. “No. Youngjae is by himself.” Jayde said.

“What?” Daehyun said confused and worried at the same time. “Those things are deadly. He can’t go on his own. I won’t leave him.” Daehyun urged. “You have no say in this. Besides, it’s not your duty to protect him.” Jayde said as she looked straight at me.

I remembered the promise that I had made with Youngjae’s mother. “What is she talking about?” Youngjae said rhetorically, confused.

I didn’t say anything, knowing that he would feel like a burden if I had told him what she meant. “But He’ll get hurt! He’s so…look.” Daehyun said. Youngjae frowned at him.

“I know. But it’ll be easier for him to dodge most of the stuff than for the rest of you guys. His only disadvantage is that he has to dodge you guys from squashing him, and his size may make his journey longer for him.” Jayde explained nonchalantly.

“Why does he have to train this way? Can’t one of the mages or priests change him back?” Himchan questioned. Jayde shook her head. “The spell that the pixie used on Youngjae can be broken if or when he arrives to the dark magic’s lair. Or if that same pixie reverses it.” Jayde explained. “…Can you change him?” Himchan questioned.

“Yes, I can but I won’t.” She said. “Why not?” Daehyun asked. “I don’t want to interfere with everything, you’ll see. Also…it just makes things boring if I do so.” She said walking up to me.

I handed her Youngjae. She held him in the palm of her hand and walked over to the entrance of the obstacle course. “I’ll give you a head start. Go, before they come and the course begins.” She told him. Youngjae looked at her then back at us before running off into the course alone.

Jayde stood back up and turned back to us. “The first team out wins and gets to do whatever they want for the rest of the day. Losers do extra conditioning. This obstacle pushes you to use your powers. Good luck, be smart…and survive.” With that she blew her whistle.

 

-

 

We entered the course all at once and the four teams were immediately separated as we took the paths that we thought would be the best one out.

For my team it was an easy run, for a second I thought we chose the right path and were home free until we reached what looked like a dead end.

“Just when it was looking easy.” I remarked staring at the large metal wall that blocked our path. I guess I should’ve known better. “Should we go back?” Taeil asked. I shrugged.

The two of us turned around to leave, except for Jiho who stood there staring at the immobile wall. “What is it?” I asked seeing that he wasn’t moving any time soon. “I don’t think it’s a dead end.” He said.

He felt the wall with his hands. “Let’s just go back.” Taeil said walking further away, but just then another metal wall slide closed, blocking his path. Or not.” He murmured adjusting his glasses. Jiho kicked the wall not knowing what to do. “What are you doing?” Taeil sighed.

“I don’t suppose any of you have super strength.” Jiho said with little hope. We shook our heads. “We’re the only team that doesn’t have super powers. We’re the only all human team.” I said. “Team 2 has Ukwon and Zelo, Team 3 has Jongup, and Team 4 has Himchan and Kyung.” I said listening the members that have some special power.

“So? We have the brains.” Jiho smiled. Taeil just looked at him. “We? Do you mean us?” Taeil asked referring to just me and himself. Jiho ignored him and continued to look around.

“I have actually have telekinesis though.” Taeil reminded us. “But I don’t think that’ll be much help here.” He sighed.

“I see something.” Jiho announced after spending some minutes scouting the area. I looked in the direction he pointed to and spotted a large silver lever at the very top right hand corner of the metal wall.

“How are we going to get up there?” Taeil asked him. “Well, we have Taeil’s shortness as a disadvantage so he won’t be much help.” Jiho said in thought. Taeil crossed his arms, not appreciating the younger’s comment. I stood there and thought for a little bit as well.

It would be easy for someone with powers like Jongup or Ukwon or Kyung. Kyung and Jongup would have been able to make some ice ladder or something or Ukwon could have easily flown himself up there possibly. Also Youngjae, though he’s tiny, he still had is magic and could probably climb through the cracks and what not.

“Wait, Taeil do you think you can use your telekinesis to turn that lever?” I asked him. The elder scratched the back of his head. “I don’t really know how to use it.” He said somewhat embarrassed.

“What? How do you not know how to use your own powers?” Jiho questioned sounding both confused and amused. “Today’s only our first day of training.” Taeil argued. “I didn’t even know I had these powers until a few days ago.”

Jiho nodded in understanding, though he still looked somewhat amused. “Hm…Can you jump?” I asked Jiho. The younger shrugged.

“Okay, let’s try this then. I’ll lift you up and you jump off the walls back and forth. You’ll have to be quick though, so you don’t fall down.” I said making my way towards the corner. Jiho thought for a bit before nodding.

I positioned my hands and bent down a little. He then placed his foot in my hands and jumped up.

He hopped easily from wall to wall. I was honestly impressed by his quickness and how agile he was. He almost slipped a few times but was able to catch himself soon enough. He was focused. Taeil was in complete shock. “Since when could he do that?” He said in disbelief.

Jiho grabbed the lever and forced it down with his strength. Seconds later the wall split in half.

“He was right. It wasn’t a dead end after all.” I smiled impressed as the two of us walked up to the opening. “Oof!!”

I turned around to see Jiho sitting on top of Taeil who was flat on his stomach. “That wasn’t too bad of a landing.” Jiho said standing up, dusting himself off. “Yeah…that’s because you landed on me.” Taeil said in pain. “Oh…sorry, I didn’t see you there.” Jiho teased while he and I helped the elder up to his feet.

We continued to walk through the course, when suddenly the walls around us started to close in on us fast, with sharp thorns protruding out of them. “Let’s go!” I said urgently, grabbing Taeil’s wrist. Taeil grabbed Jiho’s wrist. I led the way, running as fast as I could to the opposite end. We barely made it, entering a large white empty room. “What kind of obstacle course is this?” Jiho murmured.

“There’s a door on the other side.” Tail announced. He pointed to a small door that was far away on the opposite side of the room. “Let’s go.” I said still breathing heavily. “Wait.” Jiho stopped me. “What is it?” I asked. “Shhh…Just…wait...” Jiho said listening carefully. So we waited, and waited…and waited….and then these large creatures came running towards us from the other side.

“Monsters?” I said confused, unsure of what they were. They were dark brown, greenish oversized creatures. “Goblins? Ogres maybe?” Jiho said just as confused.

“Look at this.” Tail said picking up a white envelope. “What is it?” Jiho asked, looking over his shoulder. Taeil opened the envelope and read it out loud. “These monsters are actually real monsters from the dark magic, who we’ve captured and imprisoned. It’s pretty simple really. Kill them or you die. This is my favorite course. Good Luck –Lee.’” Tail finished.

“What? That can’t be it.” Jiho said. “It’s not. There’s more.” Taeil said, scanning the note with his eyes. “Taeil, Yongguk, and Jiho, You won’t be able to defeat these monsters without anything. There are weapons for you to use. Find them and don’t die. ~Jayde.” Taeil read on. “Well that was a little more encouraging.” I remarked.

“I got one thing out of that.” Taeil said. “What?” I asked. “Don’t die.” He said. I couldn’t help but laugh a little, although he was serious.

“I don’t see any weapons.” Jiho said. “The letter says we have to find them.” I said. “And not to die.” Taeil added.

“Well, we better move fast. More and more of them are coming.” Jiho said. “Should we split up?” I asked them. Jiho nodded. Taeil was hesitant but nodded as well. “Alright, let’s go then.” I said and three of us split up, running in opposite directions. The monsters also split up as well following each of us.

I quickly looked around for weapons, but it was hard. Since the room was all white and bright it was difficult for my eyes to remain focus and adjust whenever I turned my head too fast. I d the floor and found something soft. A blanket!

I removed the white blanket and it revealed two daggers and a container with some gel thing.

“ROOARR!” I turned around and saw three monsters ganging up on me. I grabbed the two daggers and aimed one of them straight for the monster’s heart.

I threw it and hit perfectly into the spot I wanted. The monster froze and fell to the ground, it lost all of its color showing that it was dead.

The second monster came running faster than the first one. I threw the second dagger, but the monster hit it out of the way. I backed up a little. I looked down at the container in my hand. What am I supposed to do with this?

The monster was close. I opened the container and took out some of the nasty gel. The gel suddenly began to surround my hand, engulfing it.

I felt it squeezing and tugging on my skin. I was grossed out and tried to shake it off. I had to shake it off several times until it finally flew off.

I heard something screech.

I looked up and saw that the green stuff had landed on the monster’s eyes. It stuck to the monster spreading rapidly over the monster’s entire head. Then within seconds the monster’s head turned to…it turned into stone!

It started to crack and then it exploded, turning into mere dust. I just stood there blinking in shock. What the heck is this thing? I thought to myself staring at the container in my hand.

But I was interrupted by the roaring of the third monster that came running through the dust. I narrowed my eyes getting focused.

I ran straight towards it, and it towards me at full speed. As soon as we clashed I jumped into the air and smashed the container of the gel onto the monster’s head and his fate became like the second monster’s maybe even a little worse since it was more gel.

I looked to see Jiho and Taeil finish up their last monsters and met them in the middle. “Let’s hurry up and leave now.” I said. The other two nodded and we sprinted towards the door.

We were almost there when an even larger monster jumped in our way, forcing us to stumble backwards. “Do you guys perhaps have any weapons on you?” Jiho asked. Taeil and I shook our heads.

Just then the monster grabbed Jiho and I, gripping us tightly in his huge, grimy, hands. We struggled to squirm out but there was no use. It was too strong and we were losing air fast in the monster’s hold.

“Jiho, you okay?” I asked. “I…I…I can’t breathe. He’s holding me too tight.” Jiho struggled. “Taeil, you have to do something. We can’t move.” I said. Taeil looked around. “I-I don’t see anything.”

I looked over at Jiho whose eyes were struggling to stay open. “You have to.” I said nearly panicking at the sight of Jiho, he was losing air too fast. “Jiho? How are you doing?” I asked. “I’m…fine...” He started choking trying to gasp for air. “Hang in there Jiho.” I said, feeling somewhat light-headed.

My dagger!” I said remembering that it had been knocked away by the other monster. “Where?” Taeil asked. “Over there.” I said pointing with my foot. Taeil looked around and spotted it.

But then he turned back to me. “It’s far. I’m not going to make it on time.” He frowned. “Use…use you’re your telekinesis.” I was beginning to struggle.

“I-I don’t know how to-,” “You have to try Taeil. You have to try. Hurry. Pali!” I begged. Taeil nodded and turned back around and focused on the far away weapon. “Jiho…hang in there…hang in there…” I strained. Jiho weakly nodded. The Monster squeezed him tighter. My eyes widened.

“Hah! Stop it! Hajima! Hajima!” I screamed, but the monster didn’t stop. I felt my heart pound hard in my chest. It’s only training, this can’t be happening. It can’t. Don’t give up…don’t give in, there’s still some hope. I noticed Jiho smile gently at me as if to have read my mind. His eyes were now threatening to close.

But before anything else could be send or done a knife cut through the center of the monster’s head. I felt the monster turn cold and then obliterated into dust particles.

I fell barely landing on my feet and quickly ran over to catch Jiho.

“You did it Taeil!” I said happily, but he didn’t look too excited. He looked at Jiho who was unconscious. “Is he…? Because of me?” Taeil asked me with a trembling voice.

His look hit me. I didn’t know what to say. I’m so used to feeling that way, that I was never really asked that question myself. What would Jiho say? Jiho spoke from his heart.

“No…” I said. Taeil didn’t seem to believe me. “This is training. It’s an obstacle course. Anything could happen. We’ve never experienced anything close to this before. That’s why we’re doing it now.” I told him.

Taeil looked up at me a little lost. “Jiho isn’t dead. He’s still alive.” I said. He smiled just a little at the word off hope. “But we have to hurry.” I said. I placed Jiho carefully on my back and the two of us ran to the door exiting the room.

The next room looked complex. There were a lot of giant screws and bolts, and large wheels, it looked as if we were inside of some giant clock. “There’s an opening there. That might be the finish line.” Taeil pointed upwards.

I looked up and saw a rectangular opening at the very top, I could see the light blue sky and its pale clouds up above. “Let’s hope so.” I said, jumping on a platform that took us straight up, Taeil hopped on it as well.

“This is actually easier than I thought it would be.” I noted out loud. “Um…Yongguk.” Taeil said nervously. “Yeah?” “This platform is going all the way up. We’re going to be squashed into the ceiling.” Taeil said. I looked back up and saw that he was right.

“Um, let’s jump down there…wait no, that has spikes. How about over…mm no. Um ooh! What about…never mind.” I said unable to find a safe place to land.

Everything was moving and if it wasn’t then there was some kind of spikes on it.

“What about that pendulum over there? We can get on it and it’ll get us close to the opening to jump.” Taeil suggested. “Ok…how will we get over there?” I asked. Taeil thought for a bit and looked around. Then he picked up the end of a rope that was hanging a few feet away from the edge. I smiled. I knew exactly what he was thinking.

We tied the rope securely around Jiho. Then we grabbed onto it tightly. “Ready?” he asked. I nodded. “On the count of 3. One…two…three.” And with that we swung on the rope right before we could be crushed into the ceiling.

“Whoo-hoo!” I cheered.

“Aaaah!” Taeil screamed

I looked over at Taeil who had his eyes closed, holding on as if his life depended on it. I just laughed at him.

“We’re close.” I announced. “Okay, just let me know when it’s over.” He spoke quickly. I shook my head. But just then I heard a snap.

I looked down and saw that Jiho was on the verge of falling, the rope was going to give out. We were too heavy. “What was that?” Taeil asked not opening his eyes. “Nothing.” I said not wanting him to panic. I quickly caught Jiho’s hand before the rope snapped completely.

I sighed heavily in relief, when suddenly I heard something else rip.

“What…was …that?” Taeil asked this time opening his eyes. I looked up and saw that the part above us was about to snap as well. “Get ready to swing and jump.” I told him.

We swung the rope back and forth.

We jumped as the rope snapped.

Taeil made it on the pendulum safely. Jiho and I barely made it. My fingers gripped the edge of the circular pendulum as tight as I could, trying to support both of us. Taeil quickly reached down to our rescue and tried to pull us up. But he wasn’t at all that strong. But he did his best to get us to the point where I could pull myself and Jiho up.

“Thanks Taeil.” I thanked gratefully. The elder smiled uneasily. “Okay. You jump first, and I’ll toss Jiho to you.” I instructed. He nodded.

The pendulum swung backwards, then it slowly came back up. When it was close enough Taeil jumped and made it safely to the surface.

The pendulum went back again. I carefully situated Jiho to toss him up, I said a quick prayer, praying that Taeil would catch him. When the pendulum went up again I tossed Jiho upwards and Taeil caught him.

The pendulum swung back again and I prepared for the jump. Once it was close I jumped, but I jumped too early and missed the edge. I began to fall back down when Taeil caught my arm. Relief overwhelmed me.

“Hurry…I won’t be able to hold you for long.” He said struggling to pull me up. Once I was close enough to the edge I grabbed onto it and told Taeil to let go, then I pulled myself up onto the surface. “Thank you.” I thanked again. “No problem.” He smiled.

Taeil wasn’t all that bad, I didn’t know him all that well, so I didn’t know much about him. But he was really cool. Then something hit me.

Jiho, Taeil and the others all care about one another, and leave none of their friends behind. They look out for each other. No matter what, they have each other’s backs.

I thought about how Taeil just saved me, he saved my life, and just in time. He could’ve just ran off to go get help for Jiho, but he stayed and waited for me, despite all of the problems that I caused him and his friends.

I thought back on when the seven of them stood their ground to protect Junhong, knowing exactly what they were up against. And how they accepted us after everything was done and over with. After everything we’ve done, after all of the trouble that I was a part of that we brought them. He still saved me.

“Since when were we underground?” Taeil said in realization.

All I could do was laugh. Just then we heard clapping come from afar.

“Congratulations. You are the first team to make it out of the obstacle. Now…you may do whatever you’d like for the rest of the day.” It was Jayde.

My attention went straight to Jiho. “What about Jiho?” I asked. Jayde walked over to us. “He’s alright.” She sad. “How do you know?” Taeil questioned. “She knows almost everything.” I informed him. “Ooooohh~.” Was all he could say. Jayde bent down and rest her hand on Jiho’s chest.

Her eyes turned a deep yellow. She pumped his chest few times, then she stood up and kicked Jiho’s side. “Ow~!” Jiho rolled over in pain. “Jiho!” Taeil and I cheered giving him a big hug.

“Thank you.” Taeil and I thanked Jayde. Jayde’s eyes faded back to normal. “You’re welcome.” She said.

“Wait! Did we come out first?” was the first thing Jiho asked. I nodded. “Awesome!” He cheered. My heart warmed up at his happiness. Just then something exploded through the wall of the obstacle course.

Jihoon and Kyung came walking out all burnt up. “Sorry~.” Himchan apologized following behind them. “Y-Y-You’re…good.” Jihoon said wearily and plopped to the ground. Kyung sat next to him, exhausted.

“Are you okay?” Himchan asked concerned, bending down beside Jihoon petting his hair apologetically. “Aaaaaaaaaah!!!” We heard a tiny voice scream.

Youngjae busted out through an ant hill and ran on top of Jihoon’s back. He sat there breathing heavily.

“We are here!” Jongup announced appearing from a random pool of water. Jaehyo and Minhyuk crawled out of the pool breathing heavily, trying to gasp for air. “That wasn’t too bad you guys.” Jongup said to his teammates. They didn’t respond still trying to gain oxygen.

“Wait a second, we didn’t come in first.” Jongup announced sounding disappointed. “Where’s tem two?” Himchan asked. “Ha! At least we didn’t end up like Daehyun and them. Haha!” Jongup assured his worn out teammates.

We waited a good five minutes and they still hadn’t come out. “What’s the hold up?” Minhyuk asked. “Well, let’s see who’s on team two? There’s Daehyun. Ukwon, and Zelo.” Jongup said.

“Well, Zelo and Ukwon both have powers.” Jaehyo stated. “True…Daehyun can also be a big drag.” Jongup said honestly. I just shook my head. Suddenly there was a large wave that splashed upon all of us. Ukwon and Zelo came out sitting on what looked like some kind of ice board that glided on top of the water.

“That was so cool!” Zelo cheered. “I know right?!” Ukwon exclaimed. “Let’s do it again.” Zelo urged. “Yeah!” Ukwon agreed. We all just looked at them.

“Oh….” Ukwon said noticing us. “Uh, did you guys get wet?” Zelo asked uneasily.

“Where’s Daehyun?” Jiho asked seeing that he wasn’t with them.

“Oh…Daehyun?” Zelo repeated. “He was just here a second ago. Hm…wonder where he went.” Ukwon said also just noticing that the said Jung prince wasn’t with them.

At that moment Daehyun came dragging. He did not look happy at all. He was soaking wet. His clothes were drenched and his dark brown hair hang over his face. He was coughing up water, trying to gasp for air. “What the heck you guys?!” He spat at them.

“Found him.” Zelo smiled brightly. Jayde tossed him a towel, which probably wouldn’t do much for him other than dry his hair a little and his face. Jongup was the only one who busted out laughing. Himchan folded his arms shaking his head.

“Alright you guys get back to work. Team One, Yongguk, Jiho, and Taeil won, they can do whatever. The rest of you.” Jayde smirked. “Time for conditioning, except for mini Youngjae, I think he’s had enough conditioning for the day.” She said. Daehyun pouted and got in line with everyone else.

Youngjae ran over to us and Jiho lifted him up in the palm of his hand. “What’s up shorty?” Jiho teased. “Your nose is much bigger up close, it’s even bigger than me.” Youngjae teased back. Jiho nodded, “Well played little one.”

I smiled at the two of the close friends. Even though Youngjae doesn’t have his mother anymore, I’m glad that he still has his childhood friends.

 

We watched as the losing groups did their extra conditioning, waiting for our friends to finish. A few minutes later the masters came to pick up their students. “Where’s Youngjae?” Jasmine asked me.

“I’m right here.” Youngjae squeaked from Jiho’s should. “Youngjae? You’re so…You’re so…” “Small. I know.” Youngjae said.

“What happened? Did you run into a pixie or something?” She asked. Youngjae nodded. “It’s a long story. I’ll tell you on the way to class.” Youngjae said hopping into the palm of Jasmine’s hand. The girl giggled a little. “You look so adorable.” She cooed. Youngjae crossed his arms.

“Can he still perform magic?” I asked her. Jasmine nodded. “He can. But he may have a slight disadvantage due to his height.” Jasmine said. I nodded. “Well, shall we get going?” Jasmine asked the tiny one. Youngjae nodded, and the two left.

After the losing teams did their conditioning they all left with their designated teachers. “Where do we go?” Jihoon asked. Jiho, Jihoon, Minhyuk, and Jaehyo were the remaining ones besides Zelo, Daehyun and I. Lee arrived seconds later. “You all will be going with Lee with the exception of Yongguk, Jiho, and Taeil.” Jayde answered.

“Let’s go.” Lee said sounding more unhappy than usual. Jaehyo, Jihoon, Minhyuk, and Daehyun followed the unhappy vampire in silence.

“So what do you guys want to do?” Taeil asked awkwardly. “Com’on Zelo. Let’s go.” Jayde said. “Can I lead the way again?” Junhong asked. “Sure.” Jayde nodded. Junhong skipped happily, leading the way with much confidence.

“Oh! How about we check out the city?! It looks really nice.” Jiho suggested. “Us humans roaming around the city of magical creatures alone?” Taeil repeated in more detail. “So? We have you, who has super powers.” Jiho smiled. Taeil just sighed, “Sure why not?” “Yay! Yongguk-ah, what do you think?” Jiho asked me.

“Uh…huh? Wh-What?” I said caught off guard. “Do you want to roam around the city with us and check it out?” Jiho asked. I took one last glance at Zelo and then looked back at them. I smiled, “Sure, why not?”

-Youngjae’s POV-

The rest of the week went by pretty well. We were still adjusting to the city of magical creatures, but after a while it wasn’t all that bad really. I was really glad that Jiho, Taeil, Kyung, Minhyuk, Ukwon, Jaehyo, and Jihoon were all here. I’m also glad to know that they’ll be living here. I felt more comfortable them being here than in the village. Even though they didn’t each much, there was plenty of food for them to eat so no one would starve. And they won’t have to worry about anymore raids, and they get to live comfortably.

I also really liked the city itself, there wasn’t just one ruler, and everyone was equal, everyone was one. The people who lived in the city seemed happy as if there wasn’t even a war going on, or for them to even worry about.

The war was only mentioned during training and/or in the castle. However, as the days went by the more tension began to build up in the atmosphere.

Despite my size I became pretty decent in controlling my magic. After training in the class I would take some time and practice afterwards with jasmine.

Jasmine is really nice, pretty, and super friendly. “Are you coming with us on the mission?” I asked one day during practice. Jasmine nodded. She’s been silent all day.

“I’ve been working on a way to make myself bigger.” I said sliding down her arm landing on the ground. I’ve learned to get around with my small size.

I ran through the grass to the book that laid open on the ground and climbed onto it. “I figured if I combined the growth spell and transformation spell I could go back to normal.” I explained and tested the two spells, but instead the magic ended up exploding in my face, causing me to fall off the book.

I landed hard on the dirt. “Did you try the reverse spell?” Jasmine asked plainly. “Yeah…but nothing happened.” I said climbing back onto the book. “What’s the matter?” I suddenly asked her seeing that she was out of it.

“…This whole war thing…is it really necessary?” She said sitting down on the ground. I shrugged. “Why can’t there be peace? Before I was brought here I used to travel in secret helping out small towns that were severely affected by the way. And it’s much worse than it seems to be. Little kids without their mothers. Broken families struggling because the more well off takes advantage of them.” Jasmine frowned.

“Story of my life.” I remarked sitting down as well. “I just can’t wait until this war is over. As long as we win.” She said. I just nodded. “Well…we should get going, it’s getting late.” She said standing up and picked up the book. I hopped off the book onto her shoulder and we traveled back to the castle.

We arrived at the same time as everyone else. With the exception of Min and Tae who were already seated at the table.

The twins weren’t allowed out of the castle unless Lee was with them, because of what happened to them a couple of nights ago.

Once we were seated, the food was placed on the table for us to grab and eat. As usual Min, Tae, and Daehyun were the first to dig in. I noticed that Jiho hadn’t even reached for any food at all. I crawled off of Jasmine’s shoulder and made my way over to Jiho.

I rested against his arm. “You haven’t eaten a thing.” I said. “I haven’t eaten at all the past two days.” He said staring down at his plate. I looked at him. “It’s nothing new.” He remarked with a weak smile. I just rested there waiting for him to speak again.

“Youngjae…I just realized the seriousness of this war.” Jiho said this time looking at me. “The dark magic’s power is super powerful and are quickly getting more people on their side.” He said. I laughed a little, honestly it sounded a little silly coming from him. “Youngjae…it’s serious.”

I quickly stopped laughing, I’ve never seen him this serious before. “The whole entire Jung Kingdom has fallen under the control of the dark magic. Lee’s spies came back and reported it today.” Jiho said. My eyes widened. “As soon as your dad found out that your mother died he went straight to the King and Queen.” Jiho went on.

“Wait. What does this have to do with that man?” I asked not understanding why he was brought up. Jiho sighed. “The spies told us everything…Youngjae, your dad and my dad work for the dark magic. They’re high ranked generals for some army. They went straight to the kingdom and persuaded the King and Queen to join them and…they did.” Jiho spoke quietly so no one else could hear.

“Wh-What? How can all this happen? It’s…It’s only been a week.” I said, unable to process everything. I thought of my dream. Could that have been? “According to Lee’s spies they’re moving fast. They aren’t wasting any time…literally.” Jiho said.

The thing that stuck to my mind the most was that the fact my mom knew that my dad was bad. It was as if she let him poison her. Even if she didn’t why didn’t she try to kill him or something? Why was she with him?

“He wasn’t always part of the dark magic. He was just like any other human being, and she fell for him. It wasn’t until a couple of months after you were born when he turned against her.” Jayde spoke aloud reading my mind.

Everyone looked back at her confused not knowing what she was talking about…except for me. She paid them no mind and went on. “She couldn’t stop him. Even if she tried she couldn’t. Because he was a normal human. And she was an abnormal being.” “Oooooh~, story time?” Min said excitedly. “What happens in the end?” Tae asked like a little child. “…so she ended up dying, because of him.” Jayde said.

“A magic being falling for a regular human is dangerous. Once they make up their mind, there’s no going back. That’s why most of us choose to stay away from them. I’ll never fall for a human.” Lee remarked messing with his fork and knife.

“Awe~. That’s a really sad story.” Min pouted. “Can’t she come back to life? Please! Please!” Tae begged Jayde. I felt my eyes burn for a little. I noticed Lee’s eyes were glossy.

“No…she can’t.” Jayde said. “Why not?” Tae whined. “Because…it’s a real story.” Jayde answered. “Oh.” Min said and the two went silent. “Not all humans are that bad.” Jasmine said sipping her cup.

“They aren’t good creatures.” Lee retorted. “That’s the same thing. You can’t just automatically assume that they’re all terrible. That’s just generalizing.” Jasmine` argued. “So you’re saying that it’s not okay for me to generalize them to protect my own self? But it’s okay for them to generalize me?! And stab me in the back!” Lee hissed.

“Calm down Lee. It’s not something to get hyped about. I’m just saying-,” “Calm down?! Calm?! You’re saying it’s no big deal?! You’re not saying ! It’s all pretty and happy for you because you had it good! You had everything you want princess!” Lee yelled standing up.

“That’s not true. You’re making things bigger and worse than it needs to be.” Jasmine defended. “Oh shut up! I don’t want to hear your crap! Don’t tell me it’s no big deal! You don’t know ! Have you had some stupid human take someone who you’ve cared about life’s away?! Who was killed by a measly weak, puny, Human?!” Tears streamed down Lee’s face.

Jasmine didn’t respond. “No! I didn’t think so! So don’t you dare say anything to me about humans until you’ve fell for one!” and with that he stormed away.

It was completely silent and the atmosphere was damp and cold. “Jayde~…” Tae said quietly.

“Hm?” Jayde responded. “Is….Is the lady in the story…Ms.Yoo?” Tae asked nervously. Jayde nodded.

“I’m not hungry anymore.” Min said sadly, pushing his plate away. “Let’s go Tae.” Min said getting up pulling Tae along with him. And so everyone slowly began to migrate away from the table.

Jiho carried me up to my room. “Thanks.” I said as he rested me on the bed beside Daehyun. “No problem. Night.” He smiled softly. “Night. I responded. “Night Daehyun.” Jiho said. “Night Jiho.” Daehyun replied.

Daehyun laid on the bed with his back towards me, he didn’t sound too happy when he had said night to Jiho. “Oh! Jiho.” I squeaked. “Yeah?” Jiho said. “Don’t think too hard about it, and rest. You’ll need it before it all really starts.” I smiled to him. He just smiled sadly and left the room, closing the door behind him.

My smile slowly faded as I turned to look at Daehyun, his back still towards me. “Daehyun.” I said walking up to him. He didn’t respond. I climbed up his back onto his side. “Daehyun are you okay?” I asked him. Still no response.

I slipped down his stomach landing on the other side of him. “Daehyun.” I pouted. “Leave me alone.” He nearly whispered. “Wh-Wh-What? Why?” I asked a little shocked and almost hurt. “I’m no good for you.” His voice cracked and was quiet.

“Is it about what Jayde said?” I asked. He slightly nodded. I laid against his stomach. “Daehyun~…” I honestly didn’t know what to say. “I don’t want to hurt you Youngjae. I don’t want to hurt you. I’ve hurt you too many times.” His voice was weak.

“Daehyun…” “Youngjae, I don’t…I don’t know. I might have to leave or stay behind.” He suddenly said. “What? No.” I said not expecting that at all. “No, that’s what I’m going to do. I-I have to.” A tear streamed down his cheek. I quickly crawled on to his pillow.

“No, Daehyun…don’t. You’re being…you’re being irrational. You didn’t even take the time to actually think about it. I said. “I don’t need to. The main thing is to protect you and not to hurt you…anymore.” He turned his head away from me.

I walked closer to him but accidentally tripped and landed in his soft, fluffy hair. “You promised.” I muffled my eyes starting to tear up. He was serious, he was really going to leave. He was determined and there was nothing I could do about it…because I am so small.

“Youngjae…” He sniffled. “Daehyun, don’t make me cry. Don’t make me sad.” I began. “Youngjae, you know that I don’t mean to ma-,” “I don’t care what you mean. You promised me. You promised me that you wouldn’t leave me.” I said. A sudden warm feeling came upon me, remembering when he made that promise.

I slid back down onto the pillow. “And you know what happened when you mad that promise?” I said. “Wh-What?” he asked softly. “I made up my mind about you.” A large excited smile grew from the corners of my mouth. Daehyun turned and looked at me. “I’m sorry.” He apologized sincerely. Ugh! This kid! He’s such a drama queen.

“Yah! Jung Daehyun! Do you know what that means? I spat. “Wh-What?” “It means that you can’t leave me! Dummy.” I smirked.

A slight smile appeared on his face. “Arasso?” I said folding my arms. “…Arasso.” He said all glossy-eyed. I laid down on his pillow right beside him in satisfaction. “Youngjae, I promise you that I’ll be good to you. I swear, I won’t do anything to hurt you.” I won’t betray you.” He began.

I shook my head and just looked at him. “What?” he asked. “Do you need a big scene for everything?” I remarked. “I don’t…I don’t understand.” He said, sincerely lost. “Arg…loosen up will ya? Geez.” I said turning my back towards him.

I closed my eyes about to fall asleep when, “Youngjae?”

“Hm?”

“I can’t wait till you get to your normal size again so I can hug you.”

“Mm.”

Silence.

“Youngjae~.”

“Whaaaat?”

“I won’t ever betray you.” He whispered.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Hey everyone! I decided to post this chapter up today, since I finished it early. But I will still post on Wednesdays and Fridays, and maybe before then if I finish early! Thank you so much for reading. And I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!