Chapter 40: Kingdom

Born Sinner

The group’s hope returned as they regained their energy, fighting back harder, with the new help they now had. Karina scoffed. No matter how many people they have, they’ll fall apart. She thought to herself. She smirked as she made eye contact with Kris, who narrowed his eyes back at her.

“We have to get to her.” He said to the others. Zelo nodded and the two pushed throw the crowd of fighters. “You guys got this?” Kris asked Suho. Suho nodded, “Just take her down and we’ll take care of the scraps.” Suho said.

 

Lee spotted Kris and Zelo running towards the palace, knowing exactly what they were doing.

He grabbed Daehyun’s and Jongup’s arms. “Come on.” He said, dragging the two away from their opponents. Himchan, Youngjae, Tae, and Min noticed as well and followed suit.

 

“How are we going to get up there?” Min asked as the 9 of them made it to the palace steps. Without saying a word, Lee ran up to the palace and jumped onto the walls, climbing his way up.

“I guess there goes your answer.” Kris shrugged. Min nodded and ran as well, jumping onto the wall, grabbing the nearest ledge.

Tae transformed back to his vampire form. He attempted to run, but stopped mid-step his injured leg hindering him. It was healing slowly.

“What about the rest of us?” Jongup asked. Kris thought for a bit. “I don’t suppose you can use your telekinesis to lift everyone up?” Kris asked Zelo with much doubt. Zelo shook his head in regret. “We’ll just have to give each other a lift then.” Kris said walking up to the palace walls.

 

Karina raised an unimpressed eyebrow, seeing the 9 attempt to get to her. She was starting to get bored. “Could they not be any more predictable?” She placed a hand on her hips. “You guys can come out now.” She ordered.

On her order the four walked out, standing on either side of their leader. “Get them, and get rid of them for good.” Karina told them. “Gladly.” Aires smirked and the four jumped down from the high roof.

 

Aires landed gently on a balcony right above Lee. “Hello brother.” She smiled. Lee only growled and ignored her, continuing to climb the overly decorated wall. “That’s not how you treat your little sister.” Aries pretended to pout. But Lee continued to ignore her. “Fine, I guess I’ll have to force you to pay attention to me again.” And with that she threw 3 knives at the elder vampire.

Lee easily dodged them. “You’re always demanding for attention. Is that why you joined the Dark Magic?” Lee growled in annoyance before flipping onto the balcony. “Maybe. Plus I like the props that comes with it when we leave.” Aires smiled. “Just wait and see what happens when you lose.” Lee grumbled pulling out two daggers.

 

Zelo tried to climb up the wall, but he ended up miss stepping and slipped and fell. “Ah!” he cried, covering his eyes. However, he never reached the ground. “Need help?” Yongguk said, catching him.

Zelo slowly opened his eyes seeing the elder smile down at him. “Th-Thank you.” He blushed in embarrassment, quickly climbing out of his arms. His eyes slightly widened when he spotted 5 new people standing behind the vampire.

“Natasha? Yongnam?” Himchan said surprised, spotting them as well. Everyone turned to look at the newcomers. Daehyun and Jongup were also surprised seeing the 2 familiar faces. Youngjae studied the little girl carefully as she looked awfully familiar to him. The little girl smiled and pulled down her mask. “Youngjae!” She beamed.

The mage’s jaw dropped. “Yuri. What are you doing here?” Youngjae said in complete disbelief. “They’re here to help.” Yongguk informed. “What?!” Youngjae spat, mostly shocked about Yuri.

“You guys are the vigilantes.” Kris said. The 5 of them nodded.

“Vigilantes? Yuri you fight?” Youngjae said still unable to grasp the situation, and not understanding how no one else found it concerning that a 12 year old was currently in the middle of a battlefield. Yuri nodded proudly.

“Don’t worry about me Youngjae. Lex and Natasha taught me how to fight. I’m really good.” She assured him. Lex and Natasha nodded in confirmation.

Kris tilted his head, looking at Lex. “Have we met before?” He suddenly asked her. But before she could answer, they were interrupted by Minzy slamming Min into the ground.

Tae tried to run to his brother’s help, but he was cut off by Taecyeon who jumped in his path.

“We’re going to need the extra help.” Kris noted.

Youngjae spotted Jasmine flying down. He muttered an incantation causing her hair to wrap around her face, blocking her vision. She screeched as she hit the ground harshly. “I’ll take care of Jasmine.” Youngjae said, running over to the female mage.

Daehyun was about to go with him when he was suddenly yanked back by his shoulder. “I’m not done with you boy.” Mr. Yoo smiled crookedly. Daehyun pulled away, dodging the swing of the man’s sword.

 

The group was soon surrounded by members of the Dark Magic once more. Karina narrowed her eyes down at Lex. She hadn’t seen her coming, nor could she figure out if she was human or not. Karina didn’t worry too much about it, knowing that whatever she was, she’d never be able to defeat her.

 

Yongguk spotted a man sneaking up behind Kris and raise his sword. The vampire quickly stepped in the way, blocking the attack with his shield. Yongguk’s eyes widened when he saw the man’s gruesome face. “You’re Jiho’s father.” He slightly gasped. The man scoffed. “Don’t call me that.”

Yongguk narrowed his eyes at him. “He doesn’t deserve to have a father like you.” He said. This angered the man. “I said don’t call me that!” he yelled and the two clashed swords.

“I don’t think Jiho will mind if I get rid of you. His life will be better anyway.” Yongguk said, deciding not to hold back on the ruthless man, determined to use his new vampire abilities to get rid of hi, if need be.

 

Himchan ran to help Min fight his elder sister. Min dodged Minzy’s punches with ease. She then kicked him hard in his face. Min’s head snapped to the side. “That hurt.” He whimpered. “You’re really pathetic. I can’t believe mom and dad actually wasted their time trying to get you to join them.” Minzy said in pure irritation.

“I’m not pathetic!” Min spat.

The elder hybrid rolled her eyes. “I see why they abandoned you. You and Tae are weak and a bunch of babies. You’re both useless. I’m embarrassed to even know that you’re my blood brothers.” She went on. Min’s eyes burned at this, he did his best not to let the tears fall, afraid to be insulted by his sister again.

“Is that how you speak to your younger brother?” Himchan said finally reaching them. He had heard everything and was appalled by Minzy’s words. “It doesn’t matter, you’re all going to die anyway.” She brushed off.

“I wouldn’t be too sure. I can kill you with only a few hits.” Himchan threatened, his fists now on fire. “No Himchan. Let me fight her.” Min spoke, trying to sound firm, but his voice was trembling a little.

Himchan looked at him surprised. “I have to prove to her that Tae and I aren’t weak or useless. I have to…” Min’s voice trailed. The female hybrid scoffed at this. Himchan was reluctant but gave in. “I’ll be here if you need help.” He said, deciding to fight off the oncoming DM members. Min nodded, “Thank you.”

 

Tae crashed into a tree, being thrown by his elder brother. He landed harshly on his feet and charged at the elder again, swinging his fists.

Taecyeon easily blocked the attacks. He spotted the cut on the younger’s leg and kicked it. “Ow!” Tae cried grabbing his leg.

Taecyeon shook his head at how the younger left himself out so vulnerable and kicked him in his side then upper cut him under his chin. The younger sibling groaned in pain, stumbling back. “You two shouldn’t have gotten involved in this war.” Taecyeon sighed. “What? No! We want to help our friends.” Tae said. “You’re not helping them, you’re hindering them.” Taecyeon told him.

Tae’s eyes widened in shock and hurt. “Th-That’s not true. We’d never hurt our friends.” He said quietly. Taecyeon shook his head and pulled out three blades about to throw them at his distracted opponent when someone tapped him on his shoulder.

The hybrid turned around, confused by the sudden gesture. “Is that how you should treat your younger brother? Shouldn’t you tell him what he’s doing wrong and show him? Instead of talking down on him.” Yongnam simply said. Taecyeon growled at him.

 

Youngjae dodged the blades that Jasmine threw at him. He quickly reversed the spells Jasmine enchanted before she could even finish. “You’ve gotten better.” Jasmine said a little surprised. “Why are you doing this? I thought you cared about those who were affected by the DM.” Youngjae said, ignoring her statement.

Jasmine frowned at this, but didn’t answer and continued to fight him. “I just don’t understand. I’ve trained with you and everything. I would have never thought you would betray us.” Youngjae continued, dodging the attacks. “That’s because I wouldn’t betray you.” She said.

Youngjae scrunched his brow at this. “But…you did.” He said.

Jasmine shook her head in irritation. “I didn’t because I was never on your side. I was just a spy.” She finally said. Youngjae narrowed his eyes at her. “You’re going to pay for this.” Youngjae gritted through his teeth.

 

Jongup, Zelo, and Kris were stuck fighting off the endless amount of DM members that now flocked them.

Natasha easily shot down her opponents, shooting her arrows with quickness and extreme precision not allowing anyone to get near her.

Namjoon and Yuri fought side by side, fighting off their enemies with ease. Despite the fact that she was good, Namjoon made sure to watch out for Yuri and immediately killed off anybody that tried to come at her while she was occupied.

Lex fought off her opponents without a sweat cutting them down almost instantly with her twin katanas.

Karina narrowed her eyes, seeing that they were regaining momentum fast and their confidence wars coming back. The DM numbers were starting to dwindle. Their unity was working. “End this little fest now.” Karina demanded. “With pleasure.” The sweet voice said in her head. The Sphinx smiled crookedly at this. “Prepare to end yourselves.”

 

Zelo and Kris looked up, hearing her. "We need to get up to her now." Kris stressed. "How?" Zelo asked. Kris looked around and spotted the front door. "Let's go inside. There has to be a way to get to the roof through there." he finally said.

Zelo nodded. He glanced over his shoulder glancing at Youngjae fighting Jasmine. "Jongup. Can you help Youngjae? I think he's using too much magic." Zelo asked with much concern. Jongup nodded and made his way to the elder mage. "Let's go." Zelo said to Kris and the two ran to the large double doors.

"You ain't bad." Mr.Yoo chuckled slyly. Daehyun ignored him and kicked at the man only to have him catch his ankle. "You're just like your parents." he smirked pushing him back.

Daehyun kept his balance' skidding backwards on his feet. "I'm not like them!" Daehyun spat. But the man's smirk grew even more crooked.

Daehyun stepped forward only to pause in his movements as his head began to ache. ‘Oh Daehyun.’ A sweet voice spoke in his head.

“Are you sure about that?” The man taunted.

‘It’s time for your punishment~,’ the sweet voice sang.

Daehyun grabbed his head. “No. Not now.”

‘For your punishment. You’ll have to fight your friends to their death,’ the sweet voice instructed. Daehyun flinched, fighting the voice’s power. ‘If you do this we’ll forgive you,’ the voice chirped. “No! I won’t do it.” Daehyun fell to his knees pulling at his hair.

‘Oh, but Daehyun. You don’t have a choice.’ The curse took over his entire being. His eyes turned completely black as he stood onto his feet, picking up his sword. ‘Let’s make an example of your friend here. What was his name? Oh yeah…Youngjae.’

 

The human carefully slipped through and in between everyone, using them as his cover as he snuck up behind his first target.

As Jongup made his way to help Youngjae he spotted Daehyun doing the same. He was about to brush it off when he noticed the elder’s black eyes. “Uh oh.” Jongup immediately picked up the pace and sprinted over to him, shoving everyone out of his way.

Daehyun gripped his sword as he got closer, preparing to cut the mage down. Before he could take another step he was tackled from the side. The two of them fell to the ground, rolling away from Youngjae. Jongup pinned Daehyun on his back. “Daehyun stop.” He said.

Daehyun tried to fight his hold, but the younger only pushed him down harder. “You know I hate getting serious. So, don’t make me do that.” Jongup said. ‘Daehyun, he’s your enemy. Anyone who gets in your way is your enemy,’ the voice spoke. Daehyun narrowed his eyes at Jongup, throwing the younger off guard. He kneed him in the stomach and kicked him off of him.

Daehyun stood to his feet and picked his sword back up. Jongup stood as well and took his Sais out. He stepped in front of the elder’s path. “I always wanted to fight you or Bang. This should be fun.” He shrugged.

 

Zelo and Kris ran into the palace, slamming and locking the double doors behind them to prevent anyone from following. “Where do we go first?” Zelo asked, staring at the different staircases. “It doesn’t matt. Whichever one we go up, they have to lead us to the roof one way or another.” Kris said. Zelo nodded.

“Let’s stick together. I doubt one of us can fight Karina on our own.” Kris said.

The two ran up to the stairwell closest to them.

 

Lee barely dodged the blade that was thrown at him, grazing the skin on his outer bicep. He hissed and swung at his sister, but missed. Aires stole the opportunity and punched him in the side of his head. Lee growled in irritation.

“What’s the matter brother? Losing your touch?” Aires taunted. Lee growled animisticly and swung at her again, but she blocked it and high kicked him under his chin. “.” Lee cursed cracking his now pained neck. “Your anger was always your weakness.” Aires shook her head.

 

Mr. Woo attempted to trip Yongguk, but Guk flipped hover him and kicked him in his back. The man spun around. Yongguk blocked the man’s vicious attack with his shield. He was starting to actually like the shield a lot.

Jiho’s father scoffed in amusement, throwing the vampire off. “You talk about me as if you’re all high and might, but your friends are fighting each other.” The man remarked.

Yongguk looked around and spotted Jongup and Daehyun fighting. His eyes slightly widened at the scene. “I wonder who the bad guys are now.” The man huffed. Yongguk smacked the man in the face with his shield and spun kicked him in the head before running off to his two friends.

 

Jongup was surprised by Daehyun’s strength. He knew that the elder was strong, but it felt like the more he fought, the stronger and faster he became. “Daehyun, don’t let this curse control you. I don’t want to hurt you.” Jongup barely blocked his friend’s attack, but Daehyun didn’t let up and fought harder.

“What are you guys doing?” Yongguk asked, his eyes wide as he ran up to them. “Daehyun’s curse.” Jongup said, bending back a little to avoid being hit by Daehyun’s sword.

“Daehyun stop, we need to work together.” Yongguk dropped his weapons and shoved Daehyun away from Jongup. He didn’t want to fight him. “Don’t make the same mistake I did.” Yongguk said almost desperately.

 

Himchan flinched at Min being badly beaten by his sister. The younger was in so much pain, but he still insisted that Himchan not help him. So he made sure to stay close to the two, preparing to attack Minzy if things got worse. He hated seeing Min being beat up like this by his own sister and her harsh words. He did his best to hold himself back from going off on her.

 

Karina smirked seeing the scenes unravel before her. She sensed Zelo and Kris running through the palace underneath her. “Oh, they’re not going to make it.” She chuckled to herself. She had something prepared, waiting just for them.

Lex sliced the neck of a painted-faced lady. Another Incubus ran after her. Lex stepped out of the way and pulled his wing and slammed him hard into the ground. ‘Your friends are in danger,’ Junsu warned in her mind.

Lex’s eyes widen as he told her what was going to happen to Zelo and Kris. She stopped what she was doing and shoved everyone out the way.

“Lex what’s wrong?” Natasha asked, earning Namjoon and Yuri’s attention. “Don’t worry about it. Just keep fighting. No matter what.” She said. The three nodded, obeying their leader.

Lex ran straight to the palace at full speed, bursting through the heavy double doors.

 

The more Youngjae fought the angrier he became and the stronger the magic he used. Jasmine was barely able to dodge his attacks. She was completely surprised by the strong magic he was using. He uttered spells that she had never heard before. “I can’t believe you! How could you fake caring about people?! Everyone is suffering because of you!” he spat angrily, a sudden force hit Jasmin back without Youngjae even muttering a spell.

How is he doing that? Jasmine thought to herself, standing back to her feet.

 

Daehyun high kicked at Yongguk, hitting his temple hard. Yongguk stumbled to the side, grabbing his head. Daehyun stole the opportunity and ran straight towards Youngjae, but Jongup jumped in the way. Daehyun pulled out a dagger at the last minute and stabbed the younger.

“Arg!” Jongup fell to his knees. Yongguk’s eyes widened. “Jongup!” He called. “I’m fine. He just got me in my arm.” Jongup gritted, yanking the weapon out of his bicep. Blood trickling down his arm.

Bang tried to go after Daehyun, but the smell of blood overwhelmed his nostrils, awakening his vampire. Bang stopped in his tracks his fangs extending. A growl emitted from within him. “Uh oh…” Jongup said noticing this.

Not now. Yongguk groaned trying to fight his vampire. He had to control himself.

He looked up and spotted Daehyun running towards Youngjae. “Daehyun no!” Yongguk yelled struggling to run to him but his vampire was holding him back.

 

Youngjae heard Yongguk and turned around, making eye contact with the said person heading his way. Youngjae stumbled backwards feeling worn out, he had used to much magic fighting Jasmine. Jasmine raised an eyebrow at this seeing Daehyun’s black irises. “Daehyun…” Youngjae barely whispered, he didn’t want to fight him.

Daehyun heard him and stopped in his tracks. “Youngjae?” he said lost looking at the younger’s sad face. Daehyun stepped back ‘Daehyun!’ The voice yelled, the curse overpowering him again, this time stronger.

“Ah!” Daehyun grabbed his head in pain. Youngjae’s eyes widened as he ran to the elder. “Daehyun please. You’ve done it before. You can fight it.” He urged. “This isn’t you. Don’t let anyone control you.”

Yongguk forced himself to walk towards the two, ignoring the vampire that was aching inside him for blood. “Youngjae! Get away from him!” Yongguk called. But the younger didn’t listen to him.

‘Daehyun, this is your chance. Do it now,’ the sweet voice whispered, soothingly.

Daehyun reached for the knife in his back pocket.

Yongguk noticed this. “Youngjae! Run!” he shouted.

Youngjae placed his hands on Daehyun’s shoulders and began to mutter a long incantation.

Daehyun pulled out the knife and raised it.

Youngjae’s eyes glowed a bright yellow and Daehyun paused his movements. ‘Daehyun what are you…’ but the sweet voice faded from his mind. His irises began to turn a dark brown as Youngjae continued to utter the curse-breaking spell.

Daehyun dropped the knife. The band on his shoulder completely vanished from his skin. “Youngjae…” He gasped, feeling a weight being lifted off of him.

The glow from Youngjae’s eyes faded when the spell was done. He looked up at the elder with heavy eyes. “What did you do?” Daehyun questioned, eyes wide. Youngjae held onto his arms for support. “Y-You’re free.” Youngjae forced a shaky smile.

Daehyun shook his head. “Youngjae, what about-,” “Daehyun.” Youngjae cut him off firmly. “Fight them. Fight them with everything you have. They’re hurt too many people.” Youngjae’s eyes teared up. He fell to his knees, unable to support himself.

“Youngjae-,” “Daehyun stop! Just please listen to me!” Youngjae snapped gripping onto the elder’s jeans. Daehyun made a tight fist, biting his bottom lip. “Ok.” He gave in.

Yongguk finally made it up to them. His eyes widened at the sight of both of them, but he was mostly concerned for Youngjae. “What happened?” he asked. “No time to explain. Yongguk can you help me inside? I know what to do.” Youngjae said. Yongguk nodded and helped the mage up to his feet.

Yongguk walked to the palace with Youngjae’s arm over his shoulder. Youngjae waited until they were far enough away from Daehyun. “Yongguk I…” he fainted before he could finish.

 

“We’re almost there.” Kris said when they made it to the top floor. The further they ran the more uneasy Zelo began to feel. “Um…Kris I…” Zelo’s voice trailed off as he looked up at the ceiling seeing large silver spikes protruding from it. His eyes widened, those weren’t there before.

“What the?” Kris said unable to move his body any further. He looked down seeing the ground underneath them being to sink. “What the heck?”

“Kris!” Zelo yelled in panic. The ceiling above them suddenly collapsed. The two gasped and covered their heads unable to do anything else.

 

They stayed like this for a few seconds, nothing happening.

Zelo slowly removed his arms, looking up first. “Lex?” he gasped.

Kris heard the younger and looked up seeing the said person holing up the ceiling with both of her hands. She threw the spiked ceiling piece over the edge of the banister, causing it to crash into the ground. “Th-Thank you.” Zelo thanked in mere shock.

Lex snapped her fingers and the floor beneath them returned to normal, freeing them. The two were in ultimate shock but grateful. “You guys go back and fight the others. I’ll take on Karina.” Lex muffled through her cloth mask.

They were surprised by the sudden order. “You can’t face her alone. We’ll go with you.” Kris said. “I can take her. Go. They need you.” Lex urged.

“We’re not leaving. You must not know what Karina is. She’s a Sphinx it’s almost impossible to beat her alone.” Zelo stood his ground. “You guys won’t be able to take her. Just continue to work together.” She said.

Kris folded his arms. “What makes you so sure that you can take her?” He narrowed his eyes at her suspiciously. Lex took a deep breath and pulled down the mask from her face. Kris and Zelo’s jaws dropped. “J-Jayde?” Zelo said in disbelief.

Kris blinked, not believing his eyes. This can’t be real. He thought, not believing his eyes. Jayde smiled at them. “There’s no time to explain. You guys are doing good working together. Now it’s my turn to do my part.”

A huge smile grew on Zelo’s face, a new found energy reviving in him. “Okay!” he chirped. Jayde nodded before turning to leave. But she was suddenly stopped when Kris hugged her. The Sphinx’s eyes widened at the sudden gesture. “Jayde.” His bottom lip quivered.

“Are you getting emotional?” She questioned.

Kris looked at her, meeting her smirking gaze. He quickly released his hug. “No.” He stood up straight. “Go back and fight with the others. And continue to work together.” Jayde ordered. “Ayiyi, captain.” Kris saluted. “Wait Jayde.” Zelo said.

Jayde raised an eyebrow. “Youngjae and I think we know a way for you to beat Karina without your powers acting up.” He said. The Sphinx listened closely. “You might be able to win if you change your focus. Last time your focus was on defeating the Dark Magic, which was against your nature. But Karina was focused on defeating you. So, technically she was within her nature.” Zelo explained.

Jayde nodded in understanding. “If I focus on defeating her, I’ll have control over my powers.” She concluded. Zelo nodded rapidly. “And if we defeat Karina the war is over.” Kris said. “Let’s do it!” he cheered.

“It’s nice seeing you again.” Zelo beamed. Jayde nodded and jumped up breaking through the ceiling up onto the roof. She landed easily on her feet. Karina spun around. Her eyes widened at the sight of her younger sister. “What?” She was speechless. “What? You didn’t know?” Jayde smirked.