Chapter 10: Smile Again

Born Sinner

-3rd Person POV-

“You guys got that?” Jayde said explaining the plan to everyone. The group nodded. “Okay. Tae and Min go get Jongup now. But make sure he doesn’t see you two.” Jayde ordered. The twins nodded and zoomed away.

“Lee go get some blood.” Jayde said. Lee just smirked at Daehyun and then disappeared. “Who’s going to get Himchan?” Yongguk asked. Jayde thought for a bit. “Kris…you go.” She said.

“Where’s Jasmine? Does she know?” Zelo asked. “No.” Jayde answered. “Why not?” Daehyun asked curiously. “It’ll mess things up. Himchan doesn’t…really like Jasmine all that much. It’s better if she stays out of it.” Kris answered for Jayde, who narrowed her eyes at him.

“So, where is she?” Youngjae said. “She’s out looking for Jongup, but she won’t find him.” Jayde quickly said before Kris could answer. The shadow seeker only smiled. “Wait…so how will we get Jongup to play dead?” Daehyun asked.

“We don’t need Jongup to do that, we just need him to watch and listen.” Jayde said shape-shifting into a Jongup look-alike.

Everyone looked completely shocked, except for Kris. “Wow! You look just like him!” Daehyun gasped in awe. “Of course I do. That’s the whole point.” Jayde spoke. Daehyun’s and Zelo’s mouths dropped open for she also sounded exactly like him too.

 

 

 

Once Tae, Min, and Lee returned, Tae and Kris went off to get Himchan, while Jayde took her place. The rest hid in different places by the scene. Next thing Jongup knew was that he was alone in the woods…still.

“Who attacked me?” He questioned, rubbing the back of his head as he removed the blindfold from his eyes. “And why did they leave me here?” Was I dreaming? He thought to himself.

“Himchan! Himchan!” Kris came yelling into the camp with Tae running behind him. “Himichan!” Tae called as well. They panted from running as hard as possible to help with their act. Himchan came storming out of his tent, hearing the urgency in their voices.

“Himchan…” Kris said breathing heavily, putting one hand on his knee and the other on Himchan’s shoulder. “What…What is it?” Himchan asked worried. “…it’s the…the others…they were attacked.” Kris said finally speaking. “What?” Himchan said.

“Jayde is out looking for them. She said she didn’t see it coming…” Kris panted some more. “Looking for them? Kris…what happened?” Himchan asked not understanding what was going on. “The others …they’re gone. We can’t find them.” Kris said. Himchan’s eyes widened. “Wh-what?” He felt his heart rate speed up, there was only one thing he was thinking of. Nothing could have happened to him right? Yeah, it can’t be that bad. “We need your help.” Kris said. Himchan nodded determined to find his lost friends.

Tae transformed into a wolf and started sniffing away for the others throughout the forest. Himchan followed the two, worried. Oh, I hope nothing happened to them. I hope they are all okay. He prayed over and over again, he seemed to have forgotten how depressed he was before and focused more on worrying.

“Who attacked them?” Himchan asked. “I don’t know. It was hard to tell. They were too fast.” Kris said following closely behind Tae. Tae ran ahead straight into a large group of bushes. Kris stopped Himchan from following him.

“What’s the matter?’ Himchan asked. “I think Tae picked up something.” Kris answered. The two waited for Tae’s returned. They waited…and waited and then Tae came running back, whimpering, running right passed the two.

“Tae. What happened?” Tae wait!” Kris yelled chasing after the wolf. “Wait! You guys! What about…” Himchan didn’t finish his sentence. He started to feel sad and alone again. He sighed. “What is back there?” He asked aloud. He slowly walked through the bushes taking the same exact path Tae did.

“Ugghh…these bushes are so thick and prickly, how could Tae get through here?” Himchan grumbled after getting cut by a few thorns. After a few minutes Himchan finally made it through the bushes just to meet up with a horrible scene. “J-J-Jongup?”

Jongup walked through the forest still lost. Who took me here?! And Why?! He wasn’t in the mood to be messed with. He just wanted to be left alone. He wandered completely lost, until he started to hear crying.

Crying? Who’s crying? He thought to himself. He followed the sound of crying until he made it by the river. “Himchan?” he hid behind the bushes, watching the elder.

-Himchan’s POV-

I froze, my body suddenly began to feel cold and weak. My eyes burned in pain. “J-J-Jongup…” I said again. He didn’t respond. “J-Jongup.” My voice was ghostly.

I felt a sharp pain ache in my heart. I fell to my knees. “A-Answer me…” Tears streamed down my cheek. I slowly began to crawl towards Jongup’s motionless body. Tears raced down faster and faster, pushing past each other out of the wells of my eyes. “I know you’re not dead…I know you’re not dead.” My bottom lip quivered.

I hesitantly continued to crawl close to him and cried. “Please…Jongup.” I stopped a few inches away from his body. “Jongup! Wake up! It’s not funny! Please!” I begged. But there was no response.

“No…no, no…no, you can’t be gone. You can’t be gone.” I was losing it. “Jongup! You can’t do this to me! You can’t leave me like this!” I nearly screamed shaking him roughly trying to wake him. I froze to see that his body was light and limp.

My hands shook as I spotted a pool of blood that laid beneath him. “Y-Y-You c-can’t…l-leave m-me like this.” I quivered. My chest clenched tighter and tighter. More tears streamed down my cheek. I cried harder and harder choking on my own tears. I didn’t know what to think. I didn’t know what to feel, but this couldn’t be real it just couldn’t it’s not fair! I rest my forehead upon his chest and cried out all that was in me and more, I couldn’t speak, I couldn’t breathe.

I coughed hard choking and crying at the same time. “Y-You can’t d-do this. Y-You just can’t.” Why would this happen? Why? I can’t believe me! I won’t! “It…it’s not fair…” saliva dripped down from my lips. “I-Is this…is it because o-of what I s-said?” I asked. There was still no response and no signs of breath.

“I-I-I am s-sorry. I di-didn’t mean it. I didn’t mean it Jongup.” I cried stutter breathing now. “I didn’t m-mean to be so c-cold to you. You know I didn’t mean any of it. So will you please come back? Come back to me.” I cried desperately. The endless tears never stopped, they never took a break. “Please come back! I promise I’ll treat y-you better. I’ll b-be good to you.” I sniffled. It can’t be too late.

“Y-You have to c-come back. I-I won’t be able to live without you. I won’t ever forgive myself if you go. I w-was being stupid. I was being an idiot. A jerk. I-I know it s-seems bad now, but you can’t do this.” It can’t be too late! Please don’t let it be too late. I clenched onto his shirt shutting my eyes closed tight.

“I can’t lose you Jongup. I-I truly care about you. So you can’t go. You can’t! Ever since we were young I-I’ve cared for you, so much. Honestly…I hated not being with y-you. I hated it when you w-were gone. So you can’t leave me now. I d-didn’t mean those words I s-said the other day. Jongup, I love everything about you.” I cried heavily. The only thing that I received was dead silence. The only noise I received was the sound of the water running along the river.

I let go of his shirt and sat up, scooting backwards a little. I opened my eyes, however I could barely see a thing. My vision was blurred and only got worse as more tears out my eyes. “Did you hear me Jongup? I love you!!” I cried. “You can’t…leave me…like this…”

I wiped my eyes to see that he was gone. His body was gone. The only thing that remained was the large pool of blood that seeped into the flowing river. I buried my face into my hands crying hard. He left me…he left me.

I didn’t want to move, I couldn’t, I just wanted to stay her and drown into my own tears. “This is all my fault…this is all my fault.” I cried.

There was a sharp pain in my chest, it hurt like crazy. I grabbed my chest with one hand. The pain spread throughout my chest all over. I started choking some more, trying to catch my breath. My coughs became more severe. I was a mess, but I didn’t care. Jongup is gone for good, there’s no reason to care.

I couldn’t believe that this was actually happening. Why?! Why am I so stupid?! I would I say such things in the middle of a war. Himchan why are you so selfish?

Why couldn’t have been me instead?! Jongup had so much more going for him. He’s too amazing. He’s too beautiful. He knows how to live life. “Why couldn’t it have been me?!”

Just then I felt a hand rest against my shoulder. I froze and slowly looked up. My eyes widened. “J-J-Jongup? I gasped unable to say his name properly. “Himchan.” He said looking at me with gentle eyes.

I couldn’t speak. “Did you really mean what you said?” he asked his voice soft. My heart began to race all over again. I quickly scooted back, away from him. “Wh-What a-are y-you doing here? I thought…I thought…” I couldn’t finish.

“I’m here. It’s me. I never left you. I was watching you the whole time behind those bushes on the other side of the river.” He explained continuing to speak as calm as possible.

My eyes widened. “So you-you weren’t dead? Y-you weren’t hurt?” I stuttered streams of tears still running down my cheek. “I was never hurt. I was never…dead. “So…Y-You’re telling me that this is one of your games to see me a mess?!” I exclaimed feeling beyond hurt and used and…and just plain terrible.

“N-No that’s not it. I don’t know what’s going on.” He quickly said. I narrowed my eyes. “Jerk.” I hissed about to get up and leave but he grabbed my wrist pulling me back down. “No Himchan. I’m serious. I don’t know.” he said almost desperately. I just looked at him. “Himchan…I need you to tell me…did you mean what you said? When you said you loved me?” He said.

His words stung me. “Let go of me.” I demanded. “Himchan.” “Let go of me Jongup.” I said about to break down. “Do you love me?”

“Let me go!” I cried. “No.” “Let go of me now! Please!” I begged. “Himchan!” He snapped. “Yes! Yes! I love you!” I broke down trying to push me away. “Do you mean it?” he asked. “Jongup!” I cried tears speeding back down again.

“Do you mean it Himchan?” he said more forcefully. I shook my head losing it. I felt my hand heat up, in hopes of burning his hand off. But he didn’t flinch, instead he held my wrist tighter. Then he dived in and kissed me on my lips!

I didn’t push away, I couldn’t. He closed his eyes forcing the kiss even more. My hand began to cool down and my eyes were forced to close at the momentum. I felt like we were like that forever. If that was forever, then forever is too short.

Jongup released and looked me dead in the eyes. “Himchan…” He breathed. I felt my heart race and my insides heat up. He pressed his forehead against mine. “Look at me.” He said. I slowly looked at him. He looked down and slipped my hand in his and then he looked back at me. Blood quickly ran back to my cheeks not stopping.

“Himchan…Honestly, I don’t know how to say this, but…I love you too. And I mean it. I’ve always loved you since we were old enough to even know what that meant. I love everything about you from you worrying, scolding self, to your warm and caring heart.” He began. I felt my cheeks burn.

“I also hated being away from you. I couldn’t stand not having your attention when I wanted it. I love you and only you.” He confessed. I was speechless, I didn’t know what to say.

“Wh-What about all the th-those girls you’ve flirted with?” I asked. Wow…smooth Himchan, very smooth. “I’m just a flirt.” He smiled softly. I frowned a little. “But if you want me to stop. I’ll stop, for you…only.” He said getting serious again. “N-No…You don’t have to stop. Y-You don’t have to stop anything you do.” I blushed a little in embarrassment.

“…because I like, everything about you too.” I said quietly feeling like a little kid. Jongup smiled a little. He removed his hand from my wrist and wiped my tears with his thumb. “I’m sorry for making you upset. I should’ve known that something was bothering you.” He said. “No…it’s fine. I shouldn’t have exploded like that” I said. “I’m sorry.”

“I guess we’re both sorry ers.” Jongup laughed lightly. I just smiled weakly. “I guess we’re both ers for each other.” I said blushing hard. He only laughed and gave me another kiss, causing me to blush even harder. “Kim Himchan.” He said. “Hm?” “Will you go out with?” he asked. My eyes widened as a tingly feeling spread inside me. “Sure.” I said trying to sound as cool as possible, though I was completely starstruck. The young laughed.

“Should we…go search f-for the others?” I asked embarrassed. “Kris said that they were…attacked.” I told him. The younger smiled and said. “Something tells me that they’re just fine.” He stood up and held his hand out to help me up. “I-I can get up myself.” I said standing up with a struggle, my feet had fallen asleep.

I nearly stumbled when Jongup caught me. I turned bright red. “I-I d-didn’t fall.” I said jumping away. “You don’t need to fall for me to hold you.” He smiled. “L-Let’s go.” I said quickly walking ahead of him. He laughed.

The two of us walked back to the camp together. I stayed few feet ahead of him, still a little embarrassed. My cheeks were still pink, my head was spinning, and my heart was jumping all over the place. Yet, I was so happy, I seriously couldn’t stop smiling, until I heard, “Oh. You guys are back.” Lee said.

Everyone sat on the logs looking like they were trying to look normal, though it was obvious that they were waiting for us. Did they set this up? “Come sit. And tell us everything that happened.” Lee said patting the open spot next to him. I blushed little.

Jongup walked up to me and wrapped his arm over my shoulders. “Nothing.” He answered. My eyes widened. I looked at him. He looked at me and smiled, winking. “Let’s have them figure it out.” He whispered. I quickly nodded in understanding. With that the two of us went into our tent.

-Jayde’s POV-

“Awe, I wanna know what happened~…” Min pouted. “Me too.” Tae pouted as well. “Wait. What are you guys talking about?” Jasmine asked confused. “Do you think we’ll have to make our own fire again?” Daehyun questioned noticing that the sun was going down.

“I know what happened.” I smiled teasingly. Everyone looked at me. “What?” I asked. “You teased us…and laughed.” Kris pointed out. I quickly frowned and stood up. “Get some fire wood and start a fire before it gets too dark. They’re not going to be coming out of that tent tonight.” I ordered, and with that I left the campsite.

I sat down close by the river with my arms wrapped around my knees. I closed my eyes and took dep breaths, breathing steadily and focusing on the sound of the water flowing down the river. It was calming and soothing, until… “I know you’re here.” I said.

“Well, it wasn’t like I was hiding from you or anything.” Kris said walking out of his hiding spot. “Then why were you behind the bushes?” I challenged already knowing his answer. “I was just waiting for your permission to bother you.” He said sitting down next to me. I rolled my eyes. “I don’t understand why you don’t want to show any of your feelings.” He remarked.

“I can’t show or have any feelings for or towards anything or anyone.” I said annoyed, he already knows that. “It’s not like that I don’t want to…” I murmured.

“I don’t see the wrong in you having feelings towards something. You have emotions. What’s the point of having them when you can’t use them?” He said. “That’s what I’m saying. I guess we have them so that we don’t become heartless monsters.” I muttered. “You should use your emotions.” He said plainly.

I looked at him. “Do you want to die?” I questioned the psycho. “Well, you’re using them now aren’t you?” he said. “I’m listening.” I sighed. “Well, first of all. You’re actually using one feeling. You care enough not to use your emotions to not hurt those around you.” Kris pointed out.

“That’s something that comes automatically. Plus for us it’s a sign of weakness if you show emotion.” I answered. “Okay well, what about…what you came up with today to get Himchan and Jongup together…that was really nice.” He said. “I didn’t come up with it alone.” I mentioned.

“So?? It was your idea.” He said. “I had to do it. We need unity.” I said. “Awe. Whatever. You’re just saying that.” He said. I didn’t say anything, though he was right. “Okay, what about this you’re fighting against the Dark magic. When your nature is actually dark and evil.” He said. I felt my fist bawl up. I growled a little at the remark.

“That’s just nonsense.” I growled my irises turning red. “Jayde…I know.” he said. “You know what?” I hissed impatiently. “I know that if you go against your nature that it’ll be harder for you to control your emotions.” He said. I narrowed my eyes at him suspiciously.

“I’ve done my research on sphinx.” He said. “I think you’re cool for doing that.” He said. I rolled my eyes which changed back to normal. “You’re an idiot.” I remarked. “Really? I’ve always found myself to be clever and curious.” He said.

I looked out in the distance. “What are you trying to do?” I questioned. “I’m just saying.” He said.

“If you’re just saying then why do you keep bothering me about it?” I said. “I think you can change things, I know you’re different.” He said. I stood up. “I’m not different, I’m just dangerous like everyone else like me out there. I am not going to do it.” And with that I walked back to the camp leaving Kris alone.

“What’s wrong with that kid?” I muttered to myself. He almost had me convinced that I could do it. I quickly shook it off.

Everyone was already fast asleep in their tents. I climbed up to the top of the largest tree and laid on the top branch, my usual spot. I closed my eyes.

I could sense a group of vampires miles away. Soon it will be time for us to leave camp and soon it will be time for someone to go.