Chapter 42: Kings and Queens

Born Sinner

-Youngjae’s POV-

We stayed at Moonlight Bay Kingdom for 2 weeks, helping restore the kingdom. A lot went on within those two weeks. Jayde left after the first week. Min and Tae cried a lot not wanting her to go, despite that she said she’d be back.

It turned out that Gemini and Slay had been working with the Dark Magic as well and were arrested. Kuam decided to keep the two spots open and would fill them after everything was settled and running smoothly again.

The Council didn’t waste any time sending out spies and guards to arrest anyone who was involved with the Dark Magic. They also sent out soldiers to help relocate people back to their homes and families. People came from all over, entering and leaving the kingdom as they came to be healed by the healers and the kingdom’s doctors.

We spent most of our time helping with reconstruction and preparing supplies for those who were in need of food, clothes and etc. We even got to meet with the Council and help them with their decision making a little.

I was also beginning to regret the deal I made with Daehyun, when I said I’ll do whatever he says after the war.

He wasn’t letting me do anything. And it wasn’t like I could sneak around and do whatever now that everyone knows of my condition. And for some strange reason Bang was determined to make sure that I listened to Daehyun. He claimed that he had promise to keep to someone, but he never said who. I honestly hated it.

 

Daehyun flopped onto the bed, spreading his limbs wide. “Tired?” I chuckled. He nodded, “We’re almost done fixing the back of the castle. All we really have to do is paint over everything. Surprisingly there was a lot of damage done to the back.” He said. I nodded.

“But we’re almost done. I can’t wait to be finished. I’m so sore.” He groaned. “Hm…maybe you wouldn’t have been so sore if you’d let me help.” I said, sitting on the bed. “As if…” he scoffed. “I bet you couldn’t even carry half of the stuff we lifted.” He said.

I rolled my eyes at this. “So? I could have used my magic to move things and put them in its place. It would have made things easier and faster for you guys.” I continued.

He laid there thinking about it for a little bit. “You’re right. It would make things easier and faster. You’d be a lot of help…” he said. I raised a hopeful eyebrow waiting for him to go on.

He simply shrugged, “Oh well, too bad you can’t help.”

I frowned at him only to get a cheeky grin in return. “I’m starting to regret making that promise.” I muttered in annoyance. “I’m glad that you’re alive to keep that promise, especially after what you did.” He spoke honestly.

I gave him a small smile. He still doesn’t know that I had actually fainted afterwards and I was glad that Bang and Zelo hadn’t said anything to him about it either. “Oh yeah, Jiho and them are back.” Daehyun said.

My eyes widened. “Really?! I questioned. He nodded, “They just got here. They’re in the dining area eating.” He informed. I immediately jumped out of the bed, but he grabbed my wrist pulling me back down. I yelped as he pulled me into him.

He wrapped his arms around me. “What are you doing?” I asked, trying to break out of his hold. “Don’t go.” He said.

“What?”

“Just stay here with me.” He said.

“What? Daehyun, I want to go down and say hi to them. You know how much I was worried about them.” I told them. “They’re fine, they came back in one piece. You can always see them tomorrow.” He insisted.

“Daehyun. I’m going to say hi to them.”

But you can’t.”

Why not?”

“Remember? The promise you made. You have to do what I say.” A sly grin appeared on his face.

I frowned at this. “Now I know why I hated you.” I grumbled.

“Why?” he asked curiously.

“Because you were selfish and only cared about yourself.” I simply told him. “And you still do.”

He shrugged. “I care about you too though.” He said.

“No. If you did then you’d stop taking advantage of the promise I made and let me see my friends>” I tried.

“I guess I’m still that selfish, self-centered bastard you hated.” He smirked.

I frowned giving up at this point. “I’m only keeping this promise until we leave.” I muttered.

“I can’t wait to go back home.” He said, resting his chin on top of my head. “How come?” “Because I’ll be able to spend as much time as I want with you. Without any interruptions.” He smiled hopefully.

I only sighed. “Daehyun. I have to go back with Zelo and Bang. Remember?” I reminded.

“But your dad is locked up. You won’t have to worry about him again. You’ll be safe.” He said.

“What about your parents?” I barely said above a whisper, not wanting to burst his bubble.

He didn’t say anything and to his back. “I don’t know.” he finally said. I looked up at him. He was upset.

“Daehyun.” I said, resting my hand on his chest. He was disappointed in his family. I felt bad because I couldn’t sympathize with him. I never liked the royals, I always knew they were evil people. But for Daehyun this was his family, his world, he loved them and cared for them a lot.

He was disappointed in the path they chose but what made it worse for him was that…he wasn’t surprised. “Daehyun…I’m sorry…” I apologized.

His eyes were glossy. “Why are you apologizing?” He asked, not looking at me.

“I’m sorry because I can’t help you. I can’t sympathize for you.” I said the last part quietly. “Don’t be sorry.” He said. “They made their decision…and there’s nothing I can do, but hope that I can get the chance to make up for what they’ve done.”

I gave him a small smile. “I’ll help you. I’ll be there and help you with that.” I told him. Daehyun smiled and closed his eyes. He pulled me in closer to him. “I don’t know what the future is going to be like, but I’m glad to know that you will be there with me…that’s all that matters.”

The next day I woke up bright and early before Daehyun, so I could meet Jiho and the others.

"Youngjae!!" Jihoon cheered when I finally found them. "You guys are all okay." I said, relieved that they were all here unharmed with an exception of a few bandages and bruises.

"How was it?" I asked them.

"It was tough." Ukwon admitted.

"But we dominated!" Kyung cheered.

"Yeah! You should have seen us Jae. We were so awesome. At first we were losing but then we came back strong and we started beating them and they got so scared that they ran away." Jihoon announced proudly. I couldn't help but chuckle at his version of the story.

"Yeah, they retreated sooner than we expected." Jaehyo said. "I think they decided to retreat as soon as they heard about Karina's defeat." Jiho said.

"Oh yeah! Jae, you have to tell us how that battle went. I heard Jayde was there. I bet it was so awesome!" Jihoon squealed in excitement. "I will." I laughed a little.

"Oh! You guys are back?!" Zelo jumped when he saw us. "Yep! They couldn't touch us." Kyung said proudly, placing his hands on his hips. Zelo chuckled a little. "Of course they couldn't."

"How is everyone else? Are they okay?" Jiho asked. "Everyone is fine. No was seriously injured. Only Jongup had a pretty deep cut in his arm." Zelo informed.

"What about you guys?" I asked, eyeing their bandages.

"Nothing but a few cuts and bruises here and there." Jiho brushed off. I nodded, somewhat convinced.

"Oh Youngjae. Kuam is looking for you." Zelo suddenly said, as if to remember why he came. "Me?" I repeated. "Yes, he's looking for you in the foyer. I don't know why. All he said was that he wanted to see you. He’s in the front foyer.” He said.

I nodded, “I’ll see you guys later.” I waved to my friends, leaving right away not wanting to keep the Council leader waiting. I wonder what he wants.

 

I re-entered the castle and sure enough the tall council leader was standing in the center of the foyer, waiting for me, his hands behind his back. He smiled when he saw me.

He was a tall and dignified man, with a warm and friendly presence about him. You automatically felt comfortable just being around him.

“There you are.” He greeted.

“Hello sir, you called for me?” I bowed. “Yah, you don’t have to be formal with my, you’re a hero now.” He said patting my back. My eyes slightly widened at his words. Hero? “I have something to show you. I think you’ll like it a lot.” He said. I nodded and followed him.

 

He led me silently to the left wing of the palace, down the long halls and up the stairs. The palace was huge. It felt as if we were traveling through a large fancy maze.

I looked along the wall. There were large portraits of people that hung from them. “Who are these people?” I asked unconsciously.

“These are portraits of people who were the leads of the Council of 5 in the past.” Kuam answered.

“Oh.” I said, spotting a portrait of Kuam. “There were a total of 25 Council Leaders. I’m the 26th. There is a room that has portraits of every single person that was a Council of 5 member. It’s in the right wing if you want to check it out.” He explained.

My heart nearly stopped when I spotted a portrait of my mother hanging on the wall. She looked just as beautiful, and much younger. But her soft sweet smile was the same.

“My mom was a-a council of 5 leader?” I nearly gasped.

Kuam nodded, stopping in his tracks.

“I was the new to the council when she was the leader. She was the youngest leader in Council history. But she was a great leader. She was the one who appointed me to leader before she left.” He smiled sadly.

I looked at him. “Were you guys close?” I asked. He nodded, “We were very close friends.” He laughed a little to himself. I smiled to myself a little.

 

We walked down the wide hallways for few more minutes before reaching a large open space. “This is what I wanted to show you.” He walked up to the large off-white colored double doors and took out a key from his pocket. He unlocked the lock before swinging the two large doors wide open.

I carefully followed him inside the large spacious room and my eyes grew wide at the heavenly place.

Shelves of books were lined up along the outer walls, and there were seven large bookshelves in the middle s, spaced evenly between each other. There was a large window that occupied the entire wall across from us. Maroon drapes were closed over it. The white rug was soft and complimented the off-white colored walls.

Different paintings of various places were hung along the plaster walls. Two square shaped tables were placed next to each other, a few books left on top of them. “What is this place?” I asked in awe.

“It’s one of the three libraries that we have in the castle.” Kuam answered. “No one is here though.” I noted, walking down the two steps, walking deeper into the library. “This was your mother’s personal library.” He said.

“I had a feeling you were going to say that.”

He chuckled walking down the steps.

“She liked to read. She liked to read and hear stories about adventures and she also liked to do research. She loved learning about new things.” He explained.

I walked over to the table and spotted the story of the Three Kingdoms. There were also a few journals on there too.

“She would conduct her own research and take notes. She experimented with magic all the time. She was a powerful mage. After she left, I locked up the library and reserved it just for her. She didn’t like that I did it, but I didn’t want anyone to ruin the value of the library.”

“She visited a few times after she left. She even brought you here once or twice.” He chuckled at the memory. “So, you met me when I was younger?” I questioned. He nodded.

I sighed, looking around the room. “I wonder what it would have been like if she stayed.” I said. He didn’t say anything and silence fell upon us.

The library was enchanting, I could feel my mother’s presence.

She must’ve been really happy here.

“Why are you telling me this? Why are you showing me this?” I suddenly asked him.

“You should know about the things your mom did. I figured she didn’t tell you anything about it.”

I shook my head. He was right. It seems like she had an entirely different life before she had me. “And…I wanted to tell you that you should consider joining the Council of 5.” He finally said.

I stared at him, not expecting the suggestion. “M-Me?”

He nodded.

“I thought people were voted into the Council.” I said.

“They are…but I’m sure they would want you in the Council once they find out who your mother was.” He said.

I shook my head in disbelief. “I don’t know anything though. I’ve only just learned about magical creatures only a few months ago.”

“Something tells me that you’re like your mother and you’ve done your research.” He smiled, referring to back at the camp. I rubbed the back of my neck in embarrassment. “You knew?”

He nodded.

“I don’t know.” I said. “It’s a really big responsibility and I still don’t know anything.

The Council leader just chuckled at me. “You don’t have to make your decision now. You’re still pretty young. It’s just something to keep in mind.” He said. I blushed in embarrassment.

“If you want to know how your mother lived back then, you’re free to look around. She’s written in several journals talking about things she’s discovered and highlights of her life.” He said referring to the journals on the table. “The library is yours.” He placed the key in my hand.

“Th-Thank you.” I could barely say, excitement overwhelming me.

“If you need help with anything, ever, you can ask me and I’ll do whatever I can to help. Please don’t hesitate to ask. Think of me as your guardian for now on.” He said.

“Thank you.” I thanked him again, feeling my eyes burn.

“It’s my pleasure. Well, I’ll leave you alone to look around.” With that he left the library, shutting the door behind him.

I felt my heart tightened as I looked around the room before sitting down in the nearest chair. It was a lot to take in.

I picked up one of the journals and stared at it. My hands trembled slightly and my bottom lip quivered. “Umma…” A stray tear streamed down my cheek. “Why did you keep this a secret? It sounds like you were happy here. Why did you leave?” I opened the journal to the first page.

 

-

 

I ended up sitting in the library for hours, just reading the journals.

She spoke about so much.

She wrote about her research, things she’s discovered and came up with her own things, and she wrote of the spells that she invented.

A lot had gone on in her life, but it seemed like she had a great life, even the bad things that happened to her sounded good, just because of the way she looked at it. She also sounded healthy and active.

The way she spoke about the man that claimed to be my father, was as if he was the man of her dreams. They met when she had turned 21. She made it sound like he was a nice and caring person.

I cringed as I read it, finding it difficult to believe that he actually had a heart. It sounded like Kuam was the only one who didn’t like him at the time.

She had even written a little bit about Lee.

A few tears streamed down my cheeks. For the most part she sounded happy and healthy and full of energy.

 

My reading was suddenly interrupted by a knock on the door. “Who is it?” I called. “Your one and only true love.” Daehyun sang.

I rolled my eyes playfully before getting up and answering the door.

Daehyun stood there with a small plate of food in his hands. I gave him a confused look.

“It’s your dinner.” He answered. “Dinner?” I repeated. He nodded. “Yeah, it’s already sunset.” He said. I was I really gone for that long?

“Whoa! This is a really nice library.” Daehyun said impressed, entering the room.

I closed the door behind him and we sat at the table.

“Kuam told me that this was my mom’s library.” I told him eating a grape. His eyes slightly widened as he observed the serene room. “Is this where you were all day?” he asked. I nodded.

“I was reading these journals she had written in. Daehyun, apparently she and Dr. Sunhi met when they were teenagers.” I began. “Really?”

I nodded, “her and Kuam were really close too. She created here own spells too! She did a lot of stuff. She was a member of The Council of 5 for seven years and for four of those years she was the leader!” I babbled on.

“Oh wow. It sounds like she had a good life here. I wonder why she left.” He said. My eyes down casted at this. “I don’t know, I haven’t gotten there yet.” I said quietly.

He gave me a concerned look. “Youngjae?”

I sighed. “All I know was that she left after I was born.” I said.

Daehyun raised a suspicious eyebrow at this. “You don’t…You don’t think she left because of you…do you?” he asked. I didn’t look at him, nor did I say anything. “Youngjae. Don’t think that she left because of you, nor don’t you feel bad about it.” He said.

“She had such a good life though. And for the past 17 years her life was terrible living in that village never knowing when your next meal will be…never knowing when will be your last day, your last hour, and your last second.” I gritted.

“I’m sure it wasn’t that terrible for her. She had you and that’s all that mattered to her.” He assured. “How do you know that?” I frowned placing my chin on the palm of my hand. “I don’t, but I have seen how happy she was whenever she saw you smiling. Plus, you don’t know why she left. She probably had her reasons and I’m sure she wrote it down in one of those journals.” He said.

I stared at the journals, he was right.

“And for whatever reason she left, I’m glad she did. Or else I would have never met her lovely little son.” He said. I looked at him only to be met with his cheeky grin. I shook my head, “Pabo.” “Aigoo, you’re always so cruel to me.” He remarked.

“What?” I scoffed a little. “Cruel?”

He nodded.

“You keep calling me an idiot. Not everyone can be as smart as you. Gee.” He said taking a bite out of a bread roll that was on the plate. “That’s because you are one.” I said.

His jaw dropped slightly. “No I’m not.” He spat. “Yes you are. Only an idiot would ask for meat at a fruit stand.” I reminded. “Y-you didn’t tell me it was a fruit stand.” He defended. I only shook my head.

“Only an idiot would force someone who doesn’t know how to ride a horse, ride a horse when they don’t want to.” I continued. “Now you’re just bringing up bad memories.” He frowned. “So? It’s true though.” I teased.

“Well, you aren’t so smart either.” He suddenly said. “Me?” I scoffed.

He nodded.

“If I’m such an idiot, then it would make sense that whoever falls in love with me is an idiot too.” He said, leaning forward.

I tapped my chin thinking about it. “Technically, I was forced to.” I said turning my head only to have his forehead press against mine. “Well…you have the chance to run away now…so what’s stopping you?” his tone suddenly became low.

My eyes trailed down from his eyes to his plump lips. “I guess…I’m an idiot too…”

He leaned in further about to kiss me when there was a sudden urgent knock on the door.

I snapped out of it and quickly jumped out of the chair, nearly causing Daehyun to fall forward.

“Sorry.” I quickly apologized. He 9only frowned, not appreciating being interrupted. “Can’t you just ignore it?” he grumbled.

“Who is it?” I called.

“It’s me, Dr. Sunhi.” The person said.

Daehyun and I looked at each other, she sounded like she was in a rush. “Come in.” I said.

The doors slowly opened and the doctor stepped inside. “I figured Daehyun would be here with you.” She said sounding somewhat relieved. “Were you looking for me?” The said prince asked, standing up. She nodded.

“It’s your parents and your sister. They’re here.”

Both of our eyes widened.

“…they’ve been arrested.” She sighed.

I looked at Daehyun, feeling worried.

He only nodded, “It was bound to happen. Afterall, they did choose the work with the Dark Magic.” He sighed. I rested my hand on his shoulder. “That’s not all.” She said, earning our attention again. “You need to go back home…now. At the moment the Jung Kingdom has no leader. The king has been arrested, the queen has been arrested, and their princess has been arrested.” She explained.

My eyes grew even wider. I knew exactly where she was going with this. “But the crowned prince hasn’t.” She finally said.

Daehyun’s eyes grew wide, catching on. “Wh-What? But I’m only 18.” He said. “I know. We’ll discuss that later. Bur right now you need to return home before anyone tries to take over. I’ll be leaving with you tomorrow morning. I apologize for the last minute notice, but I had only just found out about their arrest.” She bowed.

Daehyun was speechless.

“I’ll leave you alone so you can say your goodbyes to your friends and prepare for tomorrow’s journey.” Dr. Sunhi said. The prince only nodded, he didn’t look too happy. Dr. Sunhi left the library, gently closing the doors behind her.

“Daehyun.” I said worried, unsure of what was going on in his mind. “Youngjae…” he said turning to me. “…I’m not ready for this.” He confessed nervously. “I know Daehyun, and Dr. Sunhi knows that too. I’m sure she has a plan. I know she does.” I assured him.

“I know. But my family…they’re going to be gone when I get there.” He said. “Dr. Sunhi will be there with you.” I tried. He was silent. “And…I will be there with you too.” I said.

He looked at me surprised. “What about-,” “Forget that. I’m not going to leave you to deal with this alone.” I interrupted. Him. “Youngjae.” He said. “And~, since your parents are now locked up, the danger of me coming with you is gone.” I admitted honestly.

He chuckled at this. “Thank you.” He thanked. “Don’t thank me. We’re together right? Then we shouldn’t be separated during a time like this.” I shrugged. He just smiled.

“We should get ready. Zelo is going to be upset that I’m not going with them.” I chuckled. “Wait.” He said before I could move. I looked at him. “I want to see my parents and sister first.” He sounded somewhat hesitant. “Okay.” I said unsure of why he was telling me this.

“Can you…go with me?” he finally said. I was thrown back by the sudden request.

I was going to say no…but I noticed the fear in his eyes. He was beyond nervous on seeing them, but he wanted to. He won’t be able to do this alone. “Fine.” I sighed.

The fear quickly disappeared from his eyes as a grin returned to his face. “I’m only going to stand by the entrance though, I’m not going inside. Let’s hurry up and get this over with.” I said, walking towards the door when he suddenly grabbed my wrist and pulled me into him.

“What Is It now?” I asked him. “We didn’t get to finish.” He leaned his forehead against mine. I laughed slightly at him, “Daehyun you’re ridiculous.” He wrapped his arm around my waste. “Things are going to be different from now on after today, huh?” I said.

He nodded. “I guess things were bound to be different after we got involved in this war.” I said more to myself. “Youngjae…” He said. I looked at him. “I know we’re still young but…let’s stay together forever. I can’t see myself loving anyone else more than I love you.” He said.

I felt a blush form on my cheeks. “Okay Daehyun.” I said quietly. He pressed his soft lips against mine. My eyes fluttered close melting into the warm kiss. I didn’t want it to end. I wanted to stay like this forever. I love you Daehyun.