Chapter 24: You Can't Win

Born Sinner

-Daehyun’s POV-

All that afternoon I was uneasy, I really didn’t want to camp out tonight…not ever. I didn’t want to go to sleep, at least not until after the war ended. I can’t go to sleep! I just can’t.

The night couldn’t have come any faster. -.- It was as if time was against me! The sun set so fast, it felt like we were moving in fast forward and things didn’t slow down until the moon was high in the sky. However, everyone else seemed to have thought differently. As soon as the sun vanished they all immediately formed a circle, ready to tell and listen to scary stories. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that everyone else is happy and getting along quite nicely, but there was something that I recently began to fear at night.

“Just don’t fall asleep…stay up all night.” I told myself over and over again. “What did you say?” Youngjae asked looking at me concerned. I just smiled at him. “Nothing…” I lied. He just looked at me, not convinced. “I was just talking to myself.” I said truthfully. “You’re not one to talk to yourself.” He said bluntly. “I’m usually the one who does that.” He muttered mostly to himself.

He was right. But why did he suddenly come out and say that? “I always talk to myself Jae. You’ve just never seen me do it before, that’s all.” I said. He just looked at me carefully before sighing. “Oh…” was all he said and with that he turned around to join the circle.

I studied him closely. Something was bothering him and I had a feeling that he wasn’t going to tell me. Just then a thought hit me. Could he be suspicious of me? Now that I think about it he has been acting a little funny around me lately. Does he know? I quickly shook my head. No, he doesn’t know…he would definitely hate me for sure if he knew…he can’t know. Out of all people not him.

Yah! Jung Daehyun! Are you going to join us, or are you too scared to hear one of my master scary stories?!” Kris called, a sly smile forming on his face as he spoke. “Y-Yeah…I’m coming.” I said, walking over towards them. I sat down between Bang and Himchan.

Bang looked at me strangely. “You’re not going to sit by Youngjae?” He asked a bit confused. “I-I don’t have to sit by him.” I defended. “I was just asking.” He said. I looked around to see that Himchan was sitting by Jongup and Yongguk was sitting by Zelo. Youngjae was sat in between Jayde and Jasmine. “I think I need to give him some space.” I sighed. “What? Did you guys get in a fight?” Himchan asked, joining in on the conversation. “No.” I said pouting. “Then…what is it?” He asked confused. “It’s…complicated.” I answered. And nothing was said after that.

The rest of the night went by slowly. I was pretty much out of it, not really paying much attention to the scary stories Kris and lee told. I just waited there in suspense for time to go by. “Shall I tell a scary story?” Jayde spoke up.

“You?” Kris questioned. “Yes…Tae, Min, and Zelo…you guys may want to go to sleep. This one is extremely scary.” The sphinx warned. “You really think that your story can top mine? It’s obvious that I am the king of scary stories, sorry Lee…you were no match.” Kris said. “Pfftt…yours were weak.” Jayde scoffed.

“I want to hear it.” Zelo said. “Yeah! I want to hear it too.” Min said. “Me three.” Tae said. “No.” Jayde said. “It’ll terrify you.” “A bit cocky aren’t we?” Kris remarked. “We want to hear it.” Tae stomped. “We’re not children.” Min argued. “Ughh…” Lee groaned. “What?” Kris asked. “They’re getting cranky.” Lee murmured.

“We’re not cranky.” Min argued. “Jayde, can you please?” Lee said looking at our leader. She shook her head. “I’m not going to do that.” She said. “Do what?” Tae questioned. “Nothing.” Jayde answered. “Why are they suddenly cranky? They were scared just a few seconds ago.” Kris asked not understanding. “Believe it or not, but they’re practically like toddlers.” Lee rolled his eyes. Kris nodded, “That makes sense.” He agreed.

“I want to know!” Min jumped. “Relax.” Jayde spoke calmly walking up to the twins. “You’re going to tell us?” Tae asked perking up a little bit. “Whatever you think.” Jayde said soothingly. Tae looked confused but before he could say anything, Jayde hovered her hands over his and Min’s eyes and they immediately fell into a gentle sleep. Jayde caught them before they face planted into the ground and gently laid them on the soft earth.

“Um…I guess I should go to sleep as well.” Zelo said getting up. “Good idea.” Lee remarked. Jayde just smiled, chuckling lightly, but Yongguk grabbed his wrist. “You’re not going alone are you?” He asked concerned. “I’m just going to be over there.” Zelo assured him. “Just…stay here. It’ll be safer.” Yongguk said. “But I have to go to sleep.” Zelo insisted. Yongguk looked over at Jayde, who had her arms already folded, shaking her head. “It’s okay.” Zelo told Jayde.

She just sighed and walked over to him. Then she waved her hands over Zelo’s eyes, as if to close them and he fell into a deep sleep. Bang, of course, caught him and allowed the younger to sleep in his arms.

“Anyone else?” Jayde asked sarcastically. “No.” I quickly said. Youngjae glanced at me, but I pretended not to notice. Just act normal Dae, and maybe he won’t be suspicious and won’t find anything out…or at least won’t go snooping around.

 

 

 

Jayde’s story was pretty long but it was scary…It was really scary. It was five times scarier than Lee’s and Kris’s stories and theirs’s were the scariest ones I’ve ever heard. That was when I regretted not sitting by Youngjae. The two couples I sat between were snuggling with each other comforting one another, though they were both scared.

Bang already had Zelo in his arms and caressed the younger’s hair for his own self-comfort. Jongup held Himchan, who had his face buried in the younger’s chest. “Ugh…how disgusting.” I grumbled to myself at the four of them. “They’re extra.” I murmured. Even Lee and Kris were hugging each other! Not out of affection, of course, mostly out of fear, but that’s beside the point.

I looked over at Youngjae who was hugging himself, leaning on his knees. I really wanted to go over there by him…but I couldn’t. But I really want…No Daehyun! Don’t! But it’s Youngjae…No Daehyun!

I wanted to go over there and comfort him, I wasn’t scared. I really wasn’t even paying much attention to the story anyway. It’s so easy, I could just take him in my arms and just have him there, with no resistance, no complaints, nothing. With that thought I couldn’t hold back anymore. I jumped up to my feet, but before I could take a step, “And that’s the end.” Jayde clapped with satisfaction.

“That’s it?!” Kris spat. “Mm hm…” she nodded. “Th-That can’t be it.” Lee said. “But it is.” Jayde smirked. “Alright…Time to get some sleep.” She said standing up. “H-How c-can that be?” Kris said still stuck on the story. “It didn’t even…but he…” Lee was lost for words. Jasmine was shaken up and curled up in a ball. “N-Night.” She squeaked.

Himchan had fallen asleep, so Jongup laid him down before stretching his own self on the ground next to the elder. “Ni…” His voice trailed off as he instantly fell asleep. Yongguk just shift his position to where Zelo was protectively on top of him. “Good Night you guys.” He said before resting his eyes. Next Youngjae laid down in his spot turning on his side, his back towards me. Awe~ he just looked too precious.

I walked over to him, laying down beside him. He was already fast asleep. I caressed his soft hair, kissing the top of his head. “Good Night Youngjae. I love you.” I whispered in his ear.

Sleep immediately took over and my eye lids got extremely heavy and my body felt relaxed and limp as sleep attacked it. I didn’t bother to fight back, I would have to face it sooner or later. A tear streamed down my cheek. “I’m sorry, Youngjae.” I whispered and with that my eye lids closed shut.

 

-

 

‘Daehyun’…a soft quiet voice called me. ‘Daehyun~’…it was gentle and comforting. Yet it was too familiar. ‘Daehyun, it’s time for you to wake up~’. It was difficult to disobey the voice’s ‘commands’, yet they didn’t even seem like commands. I felt my body force itself to sit up and then stand, my eyes still closed. ‘Ah...Good, now come Daehyun. It’s time. Come.’ The voice was hypnotizing and my body couldn’t resist. My feet automatically began to move forward, already knowing where to go. It wasn’t until a few seconds later I gained some of my consciousness.

My eyes snapped open. ‘Daehyun…what are you doing?!’ My conscience nearly scolded. “I’m going for a walk.” I murmured aloud. ‘No you’re not! Daehyun! You need to go back!’ My conscience warned. But my body continued to move forward. ‘Good Daehyun…you’re almost there’. The sweet voice returned. ‘Dae! Jung Daehyun! Don’t listen to that voice! It’s not you…it’s not even a part of you.’ My conscience advised. ‘Listen to me Daehyun dear’. The sweet voice sang.

I stopped in the middle of my tracks feeling contradicted. ‘Go now Daehyun! Go back! While you can!’ My conscience was getting anxious. ‘No, keep walking, you’re doing fine.’ The sweet voice remained calm. I took another step forward. ‘Stop! This isn’t you! Think about everyone you care for, think about how it will affect them. Think about Youngjae!’ My conscience nearly screamed. “Youngjae…” I repeated weakly. “Y-Youngjae?” I said blinking.

“Youngjae!” I said much stronger. ‘Daehyun don’t you dare turn back.’ The once sweet voice was now stern and lethal. I suddenly felt a sharp, burning sensation shoot into my left shoulder blade. “Ah.” I moaned in pain holding the pained shoulder, forced to walk the rest of the way.

 

It wasn’t until minutes later when I was now in front of a dark cave. I just stood there, staring at it, my heart clenched and I felt my throat squeeze, my jaw tightening. I didn’t want to go in there, I really didn’t want to face what was in that cave, or even take a single step in that rocky, dark cave. Because I knew if I entered it, I will not have full control over myself. And that’s the thing that I feared. I feared myself.

‘Well? What are you waiting for?’ the sweet voice in my head questioned. But I had no choice.

I slowly stepped forward, entering the dark cave. It was pitch black inside, I couldn’t see a thing. But my legs continued to move forward leading the way, knowing every corner, twist, and turn.

“Well, well, well, look who has returned to us.” A familiar feminine voice spoke, as the sound of a door closing and locking was heard. The place lit up and it no longer seemed like we were in a cave.

The walls were lavender with four candles evenly spaced out on each and the floor was made of a black, wool, soft, rug. It was pretty cozy, you wouldn’t have thought anyone from the DM occupied the place, if it wasn’t for the large gray diamond in the middle of the rug, with a hex sign inside of it.

“My favorite person.” A second lady squealed. “It’s the cutie.” A third lady cooed. The three ladies sat in front of me on a long pink, soft, fancy couch.

The three ladies were sisters, all three of them are witches. But they weren’t the typical ugly witches. No, they were actually beautiful. The first lady is the oldest, her name is Connie, she had long black thick wavy hair, with deep green cat-like eyes. The second lady who was next to her is Delilah, she had short dark brown, layered hair with dark yellow, large eyes. The third lady, Isabelle, is the youngest of the three, she had straight smooth long black hair and yellow-green foxlike eyes. Other than their different hair and wye colors they pretty much looked alike.

“I enjoy seeing you. You’re just so cute.” Delilah said smiling slyly. “You make my day.” She said. “Don’t get too excited sister…he still has one more task before he’s one of us…and no longer a slave.” Connie said. Delilah pouted. “But after that he’s all yours.” Connie said earning a sneaky smile from the younger.

“I was disappointed when you didn’t come the other night.” Delilah said, speaking to me. “I-I don’t know what happened.” I spoke, honestly not wanting to think about it, I had a terrible dream that night. “That stupid mage kid probably put a sleeping spell on you.” Isabelle grumbled. Youngjae? I thought to myself not wanting to give away his name.

“Anyway…You are so close my dear to becoming one of us.” Connie said getting back to business. “Once you do this last task for us your brand will turn dark blue and become permanent.” She clapped. I felt my throat twist in knots…I didn’t want this, I really didn’t. But it didn’t matter what I want, I had no control over myself whenever I’m here. “But before we start, tell us again who you’re traveling with.” Isabelle said. “I-I already told you!” I argued. But I felt a burning sensation in my left shoulder blade.

“Ah!” I groaned in pain. Isabelle just raised an eyebrow. “I’d hurry up if I were you.” She whistled. “I-I-I’m…travelling with…a shadow seeker…T-Two mages…T-Two h-hybrids…and…and two vampires…a-a-and someone who h-has control of time.” I said not daring to mention their names or Jayde. I couldn’t tell them about Jayde, she is the only hope that can stop whatever they’re planning. “Two vampires? I thought you said there was one vampire and one human last time.” Connie recalled. “The human…was turned into a vampire.” I said.

“Oh?” Connie smirked seeming pleased. “Is that it?” she asked. “Yes.” I lied. The brand on my shoulder still burned but I refused to show any glimpse of fear, not wanting to show that I was lying. I wasn’t going to tell them about Jayde. No way. “And~…you guys are roaming around trying to reconquer towns taken over by the Dark Magic?” Connie recapped.

“Yes.” I lied firmly. The burning became even more intense. “Good~…Good~…” The elder sister said pleased once more. “Now, time for your next and final task.” Delilah said stretching, with a smile on her face.

“Your final task is to capture one of your friends and bring him to us. We want your friend that controls and sees time.” Connie said. My eyes widened a little, they want Zelo? “Hmm~, that won’t be easy.” Isabelle spoke up. “Well of course it won’t.” Delilah remarked. “I mean that mage kid. I think he’s onto us and is suspicious.” Isabelle said. The three sisters looked at one another, having a mind reading conversation.

“Okay.” Connie said, being the first one to speak again. “After you catch the time controller, we want you to get rid of the mage. We don’t want anyone tailing you.” Connie announced. “He should do it before.” Delilah said, thinking about it. “It doesn’t matter when he does it, as long as he does it right before or right after he gets rid of the mage.” Isabelle said.

“I-I don’t understand.” I said choking a little, they don’t mean… “Kill him.” Isabelle said coldly. I felt my heart stop. “K-K-Kill h-him?” my voice cracked. The three nodded in unison.

I slowly shook my head unconsciously still in pure shock. “You must do it. You’re so close Daehyun baby.” Delilah said her lips slowly. “I-I can’t kill him.” My voice was weak. Connie’s eyes glowed green. “You will capture the time controller and kill the mage.” She said looking deep into my eyes, instantly hypnotizing me.

I felt a wave come upon me as if the order was being inserted upon me. No…it was inserted inside me. “And you will do it within a two week time period.” She said. Y-ye…Yes ma’am.” Something inside me forced me to acknowledge her request. Connie smiled in satisfaction. “Good.” She said and the green faded from her eyes and I was immediately out of her Trans.

“You may go now, that is all.” Isabelle said shewing me. I nodded unconsciously. “Hurry! So you can come back Daehyun baby.” Delilah sang as I walked away. My mind was going crazy during my journey back towards camp.

What just happened? A spell was put on me? A burden attached to me? The worst kind of all. I have to hand Junhong over to the DM?!

I have to kill….Youngjae…