Chapter 13: I'll Be There

Born Sinner

-Youngjae’s POV-

Jayde and I walked through the forest together. Well more like Jayde walked and I just sat on her shoulder. “You seem to know where you’re going.” I said. She nodded. “I’m dodging the places where Kris is going to look.” She simply said. I furrowed my brow. “Wait a second…didn’t you say you can choose not to know where he’s going to look.” I said.

“Mm hm, but doesn’t mean I’m not.” She smirked. I shook my head. “I don’t like to lose.” She stated. I just smiled swinging my feet over her shoulder when I suddenly heard someone scream. “Aaaah!!” “Hahahaha!” someone busted out laughing. “Why did you scare me?” I heard Zelo pout. “Your face! Priceless!” Lee laughed. Jayde shook her head and continued walking.

“So why has this war even started? Or how?” I asked curiously. “It’s just for power. Wanting to take control of the world. Typical Good vs. Evil thing.” She said. “Oh~.”

“However, humans have pretty much dominate the Earth since the beginning of time with the rest of us living under cover or just staying on the down low. And some creatures feel strongly about this. They see humans as a weak species and have no right to be living above us. They believe that we should be the ones controlling the Earth, since we’re much stronger.” She began.

“…and so those creatures created their own armies and their own kingdoms to take over the world. The rest of us are forced to create our own armies and Kingdoms as well in order to defend ourselves and the world.” She said. “Oh wow.” I continued to swing my feet.

“What do you think? Like about how the world should be?” I asked honestly wanting to know her opinion. “Things are better the way they were before. With Humans dominating.” Jayde said. All I could do nod. “Why can’t magical creatures rule? They are more powerful and stronger anyway.” I stated. “If they ruled it would be chaos. Especially if the dark side takes over. It would pretty much be everyone for themselves. It would be more survival than living.” She said.

I felt her shiver a bit. “It would be a terrible place.” She cringed quietly. I thought for a bit. “Hm…why can’ those like you rule?” I asked this time. She shook her head. “That would be impossible. We would know everything. Nobody would be free to do what they want. It would be very strict. We would have too much power. We have more than enough anyway.”

“We can’t let the DM win this war. We have to defeat them.” She said getting serious. “…or else this world will fall into complete chaos.”

The atmosphere suddenly became cold and heavy between us. “I want to learn more about Sphinx like you.” I randomly stated in hopes to lighten the mood. I noticed Jayde’s nose twitch. She narrowed her eyes looking over her shoulder. “What is it?” I asked her. “Vampires.” She growled.

I raised an eyebrow not understanding. “They’re from the DM.” She said. My mouth made an ‘O’ shape in understanding. “They’re not close, but they aren’t that far either. We’re going to have to leave in a couple of days.” She informed. I just nodded. Then she took me off of her shoulder and rest me on the ground. “What are you doing?” I asked unsure of what was going on.

“Just…stay still.” She said her eyes turning a bright yellow. She held out her hand and closed it. Seconds later she reopened it revealing a pile of light blue sparkly dust, then she sprinkled it on me.

“What’s going…?” I was cut off by the light blue dust that now surrounded me. I started feeling a little different. I had this really weird feeling, like something was growing inside me, and before I knew it I was eye level with Jayde. What the? I felt so…so far from the ground. I looked at my arms and legs and down at the ground then back at Jayde.

“I’m-I’m back. I’m back to my normal size.” I said astonished. She just nodded. “Wh-Why did you do that? I thought you said I had to wait?” I questioned. “There’s been a change of plans.” She said getting seriously. All I could do was nod.

“Besides, Romeo needs you.” She smirked. “What?” I raised an eyebrow. “I guess it’s time to end this game of Hide and seek.” She said and with that she snapped her fingers. Before I knew it we were all back at the campsite with everyone else.

“Whoa. What the?” Kris said looking around him. “Game’s over.” Jayde said. “Awe~, but I didn’t get to find anyone.” The shadow seeker pouted. “Yeah…and I only scared one person.” Lee folded his arms. Zelo shivered a bit and slowly scooted away from the vampire.

I noticed that Yongguk and Daehyun were quiet, especially Bang who looked uneasy. But before I could ask them what was the matter Min and Tae jumped out of their tent.

“Fresh air!” Tae cheered breathing in the air. “That was boring.” Min said rubbing his head. “I don’t think it was all that bad.” Tae shrugged. “That’s because you were napping the whole time.” Min pouted. “Come on. Let’s play ow.” Tae said. The two transformed themselves into little wolf pups and played with each other happily.

“Hey~…Wait a second. Jae! You’re back to normal!” Zelo cheered running to me giving me a hug. I laughed a little hugging him back. Daehyun’s eyes widened. “Youngjae You’re-,” Daehyun suddenly started coughing before he could finish. “Well what do you know? It’s nice to see you normal.” Kris said. “Since I met you when you were this tiny. Oh how they grow up so fast. Don’t they?” Kris said pretending to cry into Jayde’s shoulder.

Zelo released his hug and stepped back to look at me a huge smile on his face. Daehyun started walking towards us but stopped to cough. Only this time he couldn’t stop coughing.

His coughs were sharp and sounded painful. I walked over to him. “Daehyun…are you okay?” I asked concerned, resting a hand on his shoulder. He was hunched over coughing. His coughs were severe, which made me worry. “Daehyun?” He swallowed hard and stood up straight. “Oh~, I don’t feel so good all of a sudden.” He groaned holding his head.

I looked at him and his face was pale and discolored. “Daehyun…” I gasped. The others surrounded us. “Could it have been from the gas?” Kris asked. Jayde nodded. “What gas?” Bang asked filled with concern standing next to me and Daehyun.

“He was sprayed with gas by some painted-faced lady. They have different sprays that do things to you. Lee was sprayed with a gas that made him laugh, and I guess that Daehyun was sprayed by one that made him…sick.” Kris answered.

“When did this happen?” Yongguk questioned. “Lee night.” Lee said. “Youngjae~.” Daehyun breathed slouching over. “Daehyun.” I said trying to support him. I cupped his face in my hands. He looked really bad, it was almost scary. “Where were you guys? Was it when you went to check out the explosion?” Zelo asked. Kris nodded.

Daehyun slouched over some more, I tried my best to support him, but I just couldn’t hold him. I looked at Bang and he got the hint and took Daehyun. My arms hurt a little from the strain of trying to hold him. I cursed myself for being weak.

I looked at Daehyun, his eyelids drooped heavily over his eyes threatening to close at any time. “But why is he sick all of a sudden? He was fine this morning.” I asked looking back at the others.

“Some gases don’t take into effect right away.” Jayde simply answered. “Will he be okay?” I asked looking back at the sick Daehyun. “Yeah…He’ll be alright. He just needs some rest and to be taken care of. And in a couple of days he should be alright.” Jayde instructed. I just nodded and caressed my fingers through his hair removing strands from his face. He smiled weakly and closed his eyes.

I felt the wells of my eyes fill up with tears. I shouldn’t be crying…he’s not dead. It’s not like he’s going to die. He’s going to be okay…he’s going to be okay. “Take him to his tent.” Jayde ordered. Bang gave me a wary glance before carrying Daehyun to our tent.

I just sat there on my knees staring a little loss in front of me. One of the pups hopped over onto my lap. The pup pressed his front paws against my chest and started my face, away a few escaped tears.

I laughed light-heartedly pushing the small pup away. “Thanks, Tae.” I thanked seeing that his fur was a light brown. Tae just barked, panting happily. I pet the top of his head. Min then joined in the side of my face. “Okay you guys.” I said standing up, dusting myself off.

The rest of the day was quiet and more relaxed. No one even left to train. Jasmine had come back and didn’t really say much. Everyone was wither cleaning out their stuff or packing supplies. Lee and Kris went out to replenish needed supplies. Jayde had said that we would have to leave in a couple of days, or possibly tomorrow.

Zelo and I sat on the logs and grinded the herbs we found to make some medicine and herb soup for Daehyun. “I got a buck of water for the soup.” Bang said coming back from the river. “Thank you.” I said. “No problem. I guess I’ll go and get some wood to start a fire.” He said about to leave when Zelo tugged on his sleeve.

Zelo gave him a worried and concerned look. Yongguk rest his hand on the younger’s shoulder returning him with an assuring look. “I’ll be fine.” He promised. Zelo pouted but reluctantly let go of his sleeve. The elder chuckled lightly before leaving. I looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

“What?” he said getting back to peeling the herbs. “I saw that look you gave him.” I said doing the same. “What look? What? When I looked at him worried?” he said. I nodded suspiciously at him. “Well…what? What’s wrong with that? I can’t be worried about my friend?” He sniffed.

“No. But that wasn’t just any worried look. Zelo…do you? Do you like him? Like do you like-like him?” I asked curiously. Zelo’s cheeks turned a light shade of red. “Wh-Wh-What makes you say that?” He stumbled over his words.

“You like him!” I concluded. “N-No-No Jae. W-W-We’re just friends.” He said his cheeks now bright red. “Yes you do! It’s written all over your face.” I pointed with an accusing finger at him. “J-J-Just because you had your thing with D-Daehyun doesn’t mean that you’re a…a l-love expert now.” He said in embarrassment and got up and ran into his tent.

I chuckled to myself. He likes him…a lot. I returned to the herb peeling and ended up doing the res on my own, which wasn’t too bad, there was a little left anyway. A few minutes later Bang returned with the firewood.

“Where did Junhong go?” he asked while placing the firewood down to prepare the campfire. “He went into your guys’ tent.” I simply answered separating the herbs into two separate buckets. “Is everything okay?” he asked. “Everything is just peachy.” I smiled cheekily. The elder looked at me strangely but went back to what he was doing.

Later on Jongup and Himchan finally came out of their tent and I has hardly surprised to see how lovey dovey they were. “Ugh…look at them.” I muttered.” Bang looked at me. “That’s so overrated.” I remarked. Bang stood up and took the bucket filled with water and placed it over the fire to boil. “Someone feeling Jealous?” Yongguk questioned focusing on the boiling water.

“What? Me? Naw! Of Course not. Why would I be?” I said mixing one of the bowls of herbs, mashing them together to make the medicine. “You feeling lonely?” The elder teased making a puppy dog face.

“You wish that was you and Dae right now?” he went on. I just looked at him and stood up. “I’m going to bring Daehyun his medicine. I’ll be back for the soup later.” I grumbled walking to our tent.

“Daehyun~…” I cooed entering our tent. Daehyun was fast asleep with layers of blankets on and around him. I crawled over besides him and rest the back of my hand over his forehead and his cheek. His skin was still very cold.

“Daehyun…” I whispered. “I brought some medicine for you.” The sick one shuffled a bit in his sleep. He looked so adorable when he sleeps, even when he’s sick. He looks priceless, but at the same time he looked terrible.

“I made it myself with some help from Zelo.” I said gently shaking him. His eyes opened very slowly, he blinked weakly. “Youngjae?” he croaked coughing a little. “How are you feeling?” I asked. He sneezed in response. I reached over and grabbed a damp, warm cloth, placing it carefully over his forehead.

“Youngjae…I’m so cold.” He shivered, pulling some of the blankets up to his neck. “Oh, well, I brought you some medicine and I’ll get you some soup after you take the medicine.” I said turning around to grab the medicine, when suddenly I felt something wrap around my neck and pulled me down.

Next thing I knew my head was lying on top of Daehyun’s chest with his arms wrapped around me. “I don’t need any medicine or soup. I just need you.” He said sweetly.

I forced myself up breaking out of his weak grip. I avoided looking at him feeling my cheeks warm up. I tried to look for the medicine but he pulled me back down again, this time I laid right beside him my head at the crook of his neck. He wrapped his arms around me, his hold firmer than before. I rest a hand on his chest.

“Youngjae…just stay here with me. Don’t leave me. Don’t leave the tent.” He said. I looked up at him, “What about your medicine and soup?” I said. “What about them?” he smiled. I frowned.

“Fine, I’ll take the medicine now, but I’ll have the soup in the morning.” He negotiated. I thought for a bit before giving in. I guess it’s alright. I wiggled a little in his hold, he wasn’t going to let me go. -.-

I sighed and squirmed a bit to turn a little and reached for the bowl of medicine slowly as I instructed. When he finished he put the bowl to the side and wrapped his other arm back around me. “Happy?” He asked looking down at me touching his nose with mine. I just smiled. “This is where you say, ‘I’m always happy when I’m around.’” He said.

I laughed a little. “But, I can’t say that’s true though.” I said referring to the past. “But that’s the past.” He pouted. I removed my hand from his chest and placed it on his cold cheek. “But I can say that you make me happy.” I said. “Good.” He yawned sleepily.

I snuggled closer into him, he pulled me in closer to the point where my face was buried comfortably in his chest. “Good night Youngjae.” “Good…Night Daehyun.” I yawned immediately falling asleep comfortably in his arms.

I slept wonderfully peaceful in his arms, though, in the middle of the night I shifted and turned a bit.

 

 

 

 

I slowly opened my eyes the next morning to see that Daehyun wasn’t there. Blinked a couple of times adjusting my eyes. Daehyun was gone! I sat up. “Daehyun?” I said groping the area where he slept. Where did he go?

I stumbled to my feet and quickly left the tent. Everyone was huddled in the center of the campsite. I joined the group. Maybe Daehyun is here. “What’s going on?” I asked.

“Kris and Lee hadn’t come back yet.” Bang answered. “They’ve been out all night and we haven’t heard anything from them.” Zelo said. I looked amongst the group to see that they were right and also that Daehyun wasn’t here either.

“That’s strange, Daehyun is gone too. Have you guys seen him?” I asked. The others shook their heads carefully. I frowned. Where could he have gone off to? He’s sick and weak, oh I hope he’s okay. “Kris! Lee!” Min suddenly cheered. The rest of us turned to where he faced and saw the two walking up to us. They looked worn out.

The twins ran up to them and helped them over to the logs to sit. “Where were you? What took you so long?” Tae questioned. “I saw Aires…” Lee said coldly. “Oh?” Zelo said. “She’s part of the DM.” Lee added. Zelo’s mouth formed into an ‘O’ shape. “She…looked like she was looking for someone.” Kris breathed. “What was she doing there?” I asked. “My guess is that she was looking for Prince Charming.” Lee said.

We all looked over at Yongguk. Whose cheeks turned a light shade of red. “Daehyun and I bumped into her yesterday when we were playing hide and seek.” Bang said rubbing the back of his head. “What did she say?” Lee questioned.

Bang didn’t respond, instead his cheeks turned a bright red all the way up to his ears. Lee just smirked teasingly, but then his expression changed to an annoyed one. “Ugh…I can’t stand her.” He growled coldly. “What is it?” Zelo asked Bang confused. “It’s…n-nothing.” Yongguk choked on his words. I raised an eyebrow.

“Hey. There’s something in the bushes.” Himchan pointed out pointing to the direction of the sound, we all looked in the direction Himchan pointed at and saw something moving in the bushes. Suddenly someone came stumbling out. “Oh man, don’t I feel dizzy.” Daehyun said wobbling on his feet. “Daehyun!” I cheered running over to him giving him a tight hug.

“Where were you? You almost had me worried.” I pouted slightly. “I don’t…I don’t really know. I was going for a walk, I guess.” Daehyun said. I hit his arm. “When you’re sick? How could you go out there alone like that?” I scolded.

He wrapped his arms around my waist, and smiled, “…but you looked so cute sleeping. I just couldn’t wake my precious Youngjae up. I sorry if Ii worried you~.” He cooed. I blushed and the sudden action unable to look him in the eye. How can he be sick and act like this? “Ahem…” Kris butted in.

I quickly pulled away and walked back over to the others, unable to look at anyone directly. Daehyun just walked up behind me and gave me a back hug, he rested his chin upon my shoulder. “Daehyun~.” I whisper complained. He kissed my cheek. “Hm? What’s the matter?” He asked. “I thought you were sick.” I growled my cheeks flushed, I’m starting to wish that I was tiny again.

“So what do we do now?” Himchan asked. “We spotted a camp that was several miles behind us.” Kris said. Jayde’s eyes suddenly flickered wide. We all looked at her ready to listen. “They know we’re here.” She announced.

“What? How could they know?” Jasmine gasped. “They found out earlier this morning. But they don’t know what we’re up to.” Jayde said. “How far are they?” Kris asked. Jayde closed her eyes, a few seconds later she re-opened them again. “They’re still at the camp you spotted, but they’re about to move on soon. We have to leave today, preferably before nightfall.” Jayde ordered.

“What path are we going to take though?” Yongguk asked. “I’ll let you guys decide.” Jayde said lying down closing her eyes. “Is she sleeping?” Jasmine scoffed.

Tae walked over and poked her. He nodded in confirmation. “What? How can she sleep at a time like this?” Jasmine said in disbelief. “Well…she is a sphinx…she can pretty much do whatever she wants.” Zelo spoke up.

Jasmine crossed her arms and shook her head. “If I was her I would stay up and help out. Possibly use my powers to end this war.” She grumbled. “Well you’re not her.” Lee hissed. “She could at least do more instead of just lying there or go on her own doing nothing while the rest of us train. What has she done?!” Jasmine spat. “She’s done way more than you!! You don’t know what it’s like to have that much power. So I’d check myself before I say something stupid if I were you.” Lee snapped coldly.

“He’s right. It’s more complicated than you think. But that’s not the focus here. We have to decide on a path to go through.” Kris said. “How about we go through the one Youngjae suggested?” Zelo said.

“I was think the same thing. Anyone else have a different idea?” Kris said. No one objected. “Alright then. We’ll be taking our own path between this one and the dangerous one.” Kris announced. “Wait…why are we taking a different path?” Himchan asked confused.

“We discussed this yesterday while you and Jongup were in your guys’ tent.” Daehyun said. “Oh.” Himchan blushed. Jongup just chuckled seeing the embarrassed look on his lover’s face. “So we need to pack up now. The quicker we’re ready, the sooner we leave.” Lee said standing up. “Kris and I will go back out and get some supplies that we weren’t able to get last night. Tae, Min you tow go out as well it’ll help things go faster.” Lee instructed. The twins nodded.

“You two stay together and watch out for each other. The rest of you stay here and pack up everything and make sure you have everything. Don’t leave anything behind. We don’t want to leave any evidence.” Lee said. Before anyone could say another word lee and Kris vanished, and Tae and Min ran off. So the rest of us did what we were told as well.

“Daehyun you should rest. I can put up the tent.” I said. “No. I want to help.” Daehyun coughed. “Daehyun, I got it. We won’t be taking much breaks once we leave.” I said. “But I’m better.” He lied.

I just looked at him, he seemed better than yesterday, but his face was still pale and he still looked a little weak. “No, Daehyun. I’m serious.” I said sternly. The elder frowned in defeat. “I’ll make you some soup.” I said sitting him down.