Chapter 23: Steel Heart

Born Sinner

-Kris POV-

“Hey Lee.” I half whispered to the vampire as we continued onward on our journey to the DM’s evil layer. “What?” he said without much interest. “Have you noticed that Jayde has been showing…emotion?” I brought to his attention.

He scrunched his brow, pondering on the question. He was only actually interested when it came to war, Tae, Min, or Jayde. Other than that he didn’t care unless it involved his own pleasure. But past his cruel façade he is a pretty cool guy. “Hm~, yeah~.” He finally said after thinking about it himself. “Yeah, I like that side of her.” I said nodding.

Lee just looked at me, studying me a little. “What?” I asked. “Do you…like her?” he said a sly smirk remained hidden under his serious, unimpressed face. “Of course I do. Don’t we all? That’s why we’re following her? Right?” I simply said. “Tch…” he scoffed. “You’re an idiot.” He remarked.

“Um…Bang?” We heard Zelo’s voice, it sounded uneasy and shaky. The two of us turned around to see what was going on. Bang’s irises had turned completely red as his nose was twitching…but the strange thing was that he wasn’t fighting it. Tae and Min were about out go after him but Lee stopped them. “Wait…he’s not hungry.” He said his eyes never leaving the New Born.

Bang started sniffing the air, when suddenly an arrow went straight to Zelo at an extremely fast pace, but Bang grabbed it with his bare hand before it could touch the younger’s face. “What the heck?” Lee said a bit confused. “Someone is after us.” Jasmine announced. “Naw~ really?” Lee remarked sarcastically.

At that moment almost an army of goblins jumped out of the bushes. “Ew…these things again?” Himchan gagged. This is perfect! Great! I thought excitedly. “Hey you guys! We can try our formations!” I exclaimed with much enthusiasm. “Yay…” Lee mocked indifferently kicking a goblin away from him.

“Which one?” Youngjae asked, easily dodging one of the goblin’s arrows, then turned the culprit into stone and it burst into dust. “The first one.” I said.

We all carefully formed a circle, our backs on the inside. We continued to walk backwards as we fought off the goblins, until we were squished next to one another. “Who’s first?” Jasmine asked. “Bang.” Lee ordered. And without another word Bang carefully sank into the center of the circle, Zelo and jasmine filling in his spot. The vampire backed up as far as up to Daehyun before running forward. Lee arched his back a little and Bang jumped off of it, flipping upside down, throwing blades simultaneously at the goblins before landing gently on his feet.

“We worked on that when we were hunting.” Lee smiled proudly. Bang quickly slipped back into his spot. “Let’s switch formations.” I instructed. “Second?” Daehyun questioned. “Yeah.” I confirmed. This time we backed up even more, until we were in a straight line our backs touching the person’s back on the other side, six on each side.

This formation was pretty simple, we just fought against the goblins but had to make sure we stayed with the person behind us and the ones next to us. “Hey Jayde.” I said, she was the one behind me. “Yeah?” She asked after stabbing a goblin with ease, killing it. “Can we~?” I didn’t even need to finish. “Fine.” She said. I smiled and we locked arms.

Jayde swiftly jumped off of her feet as a goblin jumped up savagely, only to be met with the Sphinx’s foot, hitting the back of its neck, killing it instantly. Once she landed firmly on her feet she flipped me over and I spun around helicopter style, easily kicking multiple goblins’ booty.

“Had fun?” Jayde remarked rhetorically once I was back on my feet.” You bet.” I answered anyway. She just shook her head.

After a few minutes of fighting, we easily gained the upper hand. I was actually a little surprised at how fast we took most of them out in such a short amount of time. It’s not like I doubted us, but there was so many of them.

“Ready to finish this?” I asked everyone. “I’ve been ready. This is boring.” Lee remarked. “Okie Dokie. Final formation.” I announced. Everyone returned to the first formation, except for Himchan and I, who stayed in the middle. The group stayed very close to us, forming a tight-knit circle. Jasmine created a blue shield that hovered over the two of us, closing the top of our man made circle. “This is going to be so cool.” I squealed to myself excitedly.

“Ready?” I asked the other. Himchan nodded, a sly smile on his face, he was excited too. I knelt down on one knee and looked through everyone’s legs, searching for the Goblins’ shadows. Then I took a deep breath, inhaling deeply as I all of their shadows, forming a thick black circle that laid under me and Himchan.

Himchan bent down on a knee and placed his hands on top of the black circle. “Ready.” He announced. “Okay on the count of three.” I instructed. “1…2….3!” On three I released the large shadow spreading it everywhere and Himchan released his fire simultaneously.

I quickly peeked between Min and Tae’s shoulders seeing the Goblins’ being engulfed by their shadows and fire. And within seconds they all vanished. It was silent.

“Wow~…” Min whispered slightly breaking the silence. “I don’t understand though. How could they have found us?” Jasmine suddenly asked. There was no response. She was right, how were they able to find us? We left before we could even be spotted. “Does that mean someone is spying on us?” Jasmine questioned.

We all looked at Jayde for an answer only to receive a completely unexpected response. Jayde looked, unsure…and scared. She didn’t say anything, only slowly shaking her head. After a couple of seconds she finally looked up at us with wide eyes. Something was wrong. Jayde pulled on her hair in frustration walking off.

Jasmine scoffed a little. “Now what are we supposed to do?” She asked a hint of frustration in her voice. “Let’s set up camp for the night.” Zelo suggested. “It’s not night silly.” Tae laughed even though Zelo wasn’t laughing, he seemed worried as well. He could only force a smile. “Will that put us further behind?” Himchan questioned. Zelo thought for a bit and shrugged unsure, taking that into consideration.

“How about we just take a break for now, and wait for what Jayde says.” Jongup said. Everyone nodded in agreement. “We should come up with more formations. That was cool!” Tae said. “Or! Or! We can come up with different power combos like what Kris and Himchan did.” Min said tugging onto his brother’s arm, jumping up and down.

“That’s a great idea.” Tae squealed excitedly. “You guys can do that. I’ll join in later. I’m gonna see what’s up with Jayde.” I said. “Okay.” Zelo nodded. Lee just stared at me with a curiously raised eyebrow. I ignored his stare and went in the same direction Jayde had walked off in.

It didn’t take long for me to find her, she didn’t go off too far. When I found her she was pacing back and forth mumbling some things to herself under her breath. “Um…Jayde.” I said. She almost jumped, but immediately caught herself when she saw that it was me. “What do you want?” She asked stressfully, running her fingers through her hair.

I raised an eyebrow. “You don’t know?” I remarked. Playfully. But she didn’t find that funny. Instead her irises turned red as she narrowed them at me, forming into a glare. I held my hands up as if to surrender. “Hey…hey I’m just messing with you.” I said calmly.

Her stare softened as her eyes turned back to their original color. “Sorry.” She sighed. “You’re fine.” I said easily letting it go. “What’s the matter?” I asked walking closer to her. “I…I…” She couldn’t find her words as she was too lost in her thoughts. “I didn’t see the Goblins attacking us. I was one hundred percent sure that we’d be fine. Well, at least for today.” She explained.

I just shrugged. “So? I thought that there were some things that you didn’t see.” I said. She nodded clarifying that I was right. “But they’re usually spaced out…it’s not this close together.” She said. I looked at her confused, not understanding what she meant. She sighed, not wanting to explain herself.

“Well I’m sorry that I can’t read minds like you.” I sassed a little. A sly smile only appeared on her face. “Before…when Bang attacked Zelo…that wasn’t long ago.” She began. “I knew that he would see Bang that day or that night at that exact time, but I didn’t know that Bang would attack him.” I said. “So?” I shrugged. “That’s only one thing, besides everyone turned out fine. No one got hurt, well, except for Zelo. But we still got that taken care of.” I said. “That’s not all.” She said. “Zelo saw something at the bridge that I didn’t see.” She added. “Ah~, I noticed he did have a vision or something.” I said remembering.

“What did he see?” I asked curiously. “He saw everyone fighting…and someone messing with us, but he says it wasn’t clear.” She said. “Arguing?” I repeated. “Was it bad?” I asked. “From the way he talked about it…it seemed bad.” Jayde said.

“But he could be wrong right? It could be a warning.” I figured. “Let’s hope so.” She said. “I know it will.” I said confidently. She didn’t respond. So I continued to ask questions. “Is that it?” I asked. “Also in the beginning…I didn’t see you or Jasmine joining us.” She added. My eyes slightly widened. “Really?”

Jayde nodded once more. “And you still let me join?” I quizzed. She rolled her eyes. “Don’t flatter yourself. It’s not like you’re a stranger.” She remarked.

I chuckled a little, she wasn’t wrong…of course. I’ve known her since I was young. She saved a few of the Shadow Seekers from the DM one time when we were still young and lost, since we had recently lost our home at the time.

I was always interested in her since that day. I would follow her every time I got the chance to. She knew I was there, obviously. But I wouldn’t say much. I’d just stay far out of her way and watch in silence. At one point I was jealous of Tae and Min because she would spend most of her time with them. But after years later, when the other Shadow Seekers and I were older Jayde visited us more and hung out with us every now and then.

“My powers might be acting up.” Jayde concluded after thinking hard. “It’s not too bad, for now…but they are acting up.” She said. I sighed walking even closer to her. “But what’s most important is that we fight as one. We just have to, no matter what.” Her tone almost sounded desperately which only masked the sadness within her.

“It’s mostly up to you guys. Don’t depend on me so much.” She said looking up at me. “You’re just as important.” I told her. “…maybe even more.” She just shook her head disagreeing. “No…I’m probably just holding you guys back…” She said. “What? Where did you even get that from all of a sudden?” I asked not expecting that even the slightest. “It’s just the more I think about it, all the more convincing the thought becomes.” She said looking away.

“What are you talking about Jayde? Everyone is fine and happy now. We’re all getting along, not because we have to, but because we truly enjoy one another. So you shouldn’t even be thinking things like that. You don’t even need me to tell you that. You know it.” I said. I was beginning to feel a little frustrated. We already settled her emotional thing and being of dark magic…but this? What is this all of a sudden?

“You don’t even sound like yourself. You’re not a dramatic person Jayde. So stop the act! You’re thinking way too much stop it. I don’t like it. We are going to lose the war if you keep that up. Forget about worrying about your powers and just control them! They don’t have a mind of their own. So just do it!” I spat.

Jayde just looked at me, a raised eyebrow. I just looked at her with a stern face. “How are you just going to spat at me like that?” She asked. She didn’t sound offended but…amused?

My expression slowly turned into one of confusion. A sly smile appeared on her face. “I’ve never seen you frustrated like that before. It just…came out of nowhere.” Her tone was still amused. “I’ve always wanted to see that side of you.” She said poking my chest. “You’re truly dark magic.” I grumbled. “Haha…” she laughed slightly.

I looked at her, my eyes lightened. Her laugh…it was…really nice. “You set this up.” I accused. She shook her head a smile still on her face. “No, I meant everything I said.” She said her smile slowly fading. “I guess….I guess you’re right. I’m just over thinking thins.” She cringed at admitting that I was right. “Of course I am, beautiful.” I smirked. “

“What did you just call me?!” She said narrowing her eyes at me. “You know what I said.” I whistled. “Don’t you dare ever call me that again.” She threatened. “I don’t know who you are.” She murmured. “Why not?” I questioned teasingly. “Because, I will beat you if you do.” She urged. “You’re so cold. You can’t be complimented? Gee.” I said. She seemed a bit off guard but quickly caught herself. “What? Does it have to do with your whole psychological being of going against your nature?” I teased.

“What?!” She snapped. “Can you not hear now? Are your powers messing with your sense?” I taunted. “I am going to get you.” She growled. “If you can catch me.” I said quickly zipping away, but Jayde (of course) didn’t chase after me. So I returned to the others first, just to be greeted by tension.

Jasmine and lee were arguing viciously at each other. “Only you would say that you witch!” Lee growled. “How dare you call me that you leech?!” Jasmine screamed. “I’ve put up with you for way too long…My patience with you are wearing thin.” Lee’s fangs extended as he talked or shouted or whatever. “You?! I’ve held back for the team. You haven’t done anything but push my buttons.” Jasmine eyes turned a fiery purple.

“What? Bull! I’m getting sick and tired of you.” Lee’s irises turned a blood red. “It w-,” “Yah!” I spat butting in. “What the heck is going on?! What do you two think you are doing?” I snapped.

“Jasmine couldn’t find her spell book and asked everyone except Lee. So she assumed that it was him who was the culprit trying to pick on her while Jayde wasn’t around. And then Lee got offended and they started arguing.” Min explained quietly, he looked timid. “Their arguing kept getting worse.” He mumbled to me with shaky eyes.

“Are you guys serious?” I said walking up to the two fighters. “It’s her who’s being an idiot.” Lee grumbled. That made Jasmine even madder. She opened to speak but I cut her off before a word came out of . “You guys are choosing to fight now?! When we’re so close to actually facing the DM?” I scolded.

“Everyone is getting along nicely and even getting closer. I actually thought that you two were legitimately getting along.” I shamed. “Tch…In your wildest dreams.” Jasmine scoffed. I narrowed my eyes at her. “You’re not even trying to get along!” I suddenly snapped, her words angering me. Jasmine’s eyes widened. “I am too! I tried. But he…just won’t cooperate.” She snapped back. “Bull.” I spat.

Her jaw dropped, not pleased with my response. “I’m not on Lee’s side if that’s what you’re thinking. I am on neither of your guys’ side. Your arguing was completely unnecessary. It was vicious and cold. We don’t need that! We’re a team. Yeah, we may disagree but we don’t spit venom at one another.” I said.

“I’m disappointed in both of you. You’re supposed to be leaders and you two are most aware of the war than anyone here other than Jayde and I. So you guys know how important unity is for us to succeed. We have to succeed. We can’t fail, the world is depending on us. Everyone who is fighting is depending on us. And in order to secure that victory we absolutely have to be one.” I stressed.

“How do you think Jayde would feel if she saw you fighting like this?” I asked. The only kind of response I received was silence. They knew I was right and that I had a point. “She probably knows that we’re fight.” Jasmine muttered under her breath. “So?! She could always be wrong.” I nearly hissed at her. How could she say that? She’s right, but still does it not matter to her that Jayde could’ve seen? Jayde is already worried about her own self and powers…she doesn’t need to worry about us possibly falling apart or breaking up.

“Kris is right.” Zelo spoke up. “Let’s hurry up and get back to normal before Jayde comes back.” Min perked up. “What? I can’t forgive him.” Jasmine said pointing her finger at the vampire. “Come on Jasmine, he probably didn’t even take your spell book.” Min whimpered. “Lee doesn’t even like to read.” Tae added. Jasmine seemed reluctant. “Come on Jasmine. Do it for the war. Then after the war you can go back to hating Lee.” Jongup spoke up.

The female mage sighed before finally giving in. “Sorry Lee…” She apologized. “It’s alright.” Lee said indifferently picking at his nails, walking away. “Yah! Lee!” I called. The said vampire stopped and turned his head to face us in annoyance. “What?” he asked. “What do you think you’re doing?” I said folding my arms.

He growled in utter annoyance before taking a few steps towards jasmine. “…Sorry Jasmine for doing nothing wrong.” He mumbled. I just looked at him, making eye contact. “…and for calling you names.” He grumbled. “I forgive you…” she said her arms folded. “Are you happy now? Mom~…” Lee said now talking to me.

“Yes, I am very pleased.” I said flashing silly smile. Lee just shook his head a slight smirk on his face. “You’re alright shadow puppet, you’re alright.” he said running his fingers through his hair. “Awe, I was hoping for a cleverer nickname.” I pouted playfully. “What?! That is clever!” He defended. I just shook my head. “What? Were you actually waiting for a nickname?” he nearly scoffed. I nodded, still playfully pouting. He just scoffed a smile on his face. “What were you expecting anyway?” he questioned.

“I don’t know. Something cool…like Shadow Dragon.” I said. “Pahaha!” he laughed. “That is extra lame. Just leave the nicknaming to me.” He said.

“Yay!” Tae cheered. “Everyone is happy again!” he jumped happily in a circle. “You know what this calls for?” Jongup announced. “Oh no…” Himchan said. “Singing and Dancing!!” Jongup, Daehyun, Min and Tae sang in unison. “Oh Gosh.” Youngjae remarked. “What? You know you like my singing.” Daehyun said elbowing the younger, forcing him to blush. “Yeah~…You can’t sing with us.” Min told the human.

“What? Why not?” Daehyun questioned surprised. “Because you’re too good.” Min simply answered. Daehyun pouted, not too happy. “But you can be our background dancer.” Jongup said. “Background dancer?” The elder repeated. Tae nodded frivolously. But before anyone could protest or say anything else, the new Trio began singing, Daehyun just shrugged and started dancing with them and the mood brightened up. Youngjae and Zelo began clapping to the beat of the song which was made up of random lyrics.

I smiled at the sight of everyone’s happiness, even jasmine lightened up and joined Youngjae and Zelo in their clapping. At that moment Jayde entered the scene. She seemed a bit confused at the sight. “What?” I asked her. “I thought…” She paused, contemplating on whether or not she should go on. “Never mind…it’s nothing.” She brushed off.

I glanced at Lee, who just rolled his eyes. I totally called it. She had probably expected to see jasmine and Lee arguing and there be tension…but thankfully that wasn’t the outcome, or at least not when she came back. “What?” She asked narrowing her eyes at me suspiciously. “What? You can read minds.” I said with a sly smile. “I rather not read your mind.” She said.

“Well then.” I scoffed a little, pretending to be offended. “Good. I’m glad you understand.” She said jokingly. “Did you…Did you actually just joke around with me?” I questioned amused and teasingly. She quickly frowned. “No.” She lied folding her arms. “You’re good at many things Jayde. But you’re not a good liar.” I said.

“Who are you to say that I’m lying? I’m the Sphinx.” She remarked, looking away. A huge smile appeared on my face. I jumped behind her, hugging her playfully, my arms hanging around her neck widely. Her eyes snapped wide. “You were so joking!” I laughed. For some strange reason excitement over flowed with in me. “Come Jayde! Let’s dance with them.” I suddenly jolted. I grabbed her wrist and pulled her to the center before she even had the chance to object and spun her around.

“What are you doing?” She asked surprised. Her eyes wide and trembling. “Are you scared?” I asked suspiciously. “N-No…” she stuttered, quickly cursing herself for doing so. I just laughed. “Don’t be scared. It’s only dancing. It’s not like I’m asking you to sing.” I said. “I don’t dance…I don’t know how to dance.” She said quietly. “Like I said you’re a terrible liar.” I said. A sly smile came across her face, throwing me off guard a little, I was expecting her to frown or argue back.

“Yay! Jayde is dancing!” Tae cheered pulling her away from me to dance with him. I just chuckled, now there was no way Jayde is getting out of this.

Daehyun grabbed Youngjae, pulling him into the small dance circle. Zelo got tired of clapping along and decided to join in pulling Bang and Himchan with him. Jongup jumped out and also pulled Jasmine in as well. The mood became even brighter as everyone danced for no reason, to the random words of Jongup and the twins.

Everyone was laughing and jumping around. I glanced and noticed that Jayde was actually laughing. It was a sincere, nice, calm, soft laugh. Everyone else noticed this as well, but no one said anything, not wanting to ruin the moment. Tae and Min snuck up on lee and Min jumped on his back.

“Come dance with us.” Min said “I don’t dance.” Lee mumbled. “Or is it that you don’t know how to?” Jayde challenged playfully “Come on, I’ll teach you.” Tae urged, pulling the elder’s arm. Jayde helped him out, dragging him. But the vampire resisted and the small group somehow ended up collapsing to the ground and “ironically” everyone fell on top of Lee.

The three of them laughed. “Man, you guys play too much.” Lee grumbled slipping his way from under the pile. Jayde just laughed. This brought a smile to my face. I was glad to see her happy and not thinking about the war. I looked around and noticed that the bare, dead, twisted trees around us were coming to life and growing green leaves and glowers.

“Wow~…Look.” Zelo said, running up to one of the trees that were already fully blossomed within seconds. It was full and had pale white flowers on it. “It’s so pretty.” Tae squealed joining him. Jasmine smiled and walked up to them. “I haven’t seen a tree like this for years…it was before the war.” She said picking one of the flowers gently.

“It smells so good.” She said inhaling its scent. Jayde slowly stopped laughing, watching the three. A soft smile still on her face. “Shall we set up camp for the night?” She said standing up, dusting herself off.

Daehyun looked at her surprised. “Don’t we have a time schedule or deadline or something?” he questioned. I raised an eyebrow, he seemed…antsy. Jayde shrugged. “Don’t worry about it. That tree right there is a sign…meaning that we’ll definitely win the war.” Jayde said. Daehyun looked at her, not understanding.

“The DM destroyed all of those trees as their own sign of them destroying the world and making it theirs’s. Those trees are extremely rare.” Jayde explained. “Don’t worry, it’s not being careless. We’re very close and we’ll need a lot of rest we’ll leave early in the morning.” She assured the human a smile on her face. However he didn’t seem comforted by this, but he didn’t argue, not wanting to kill the mood.

“Yay!” Min and Tae cheered excitedly jumping around. “Why are you guys so excited?” Daehyun questioned a bit confused. “Because, camping is fun!” Tae squealed. “We should tell stories tonight.” He added. Min nodded rapidly, “yeah, scary ones.” He said.

Tae pouted. “I don’t like scary stories though…They’re scary.” He said hugging himself, remember the last time we told scary stories. I smirked, proud of my last story. “Don’t worry TaeTae, I’ll protect you from the scary stories.” Min said hugging his twin tightly. “Fine~…” Tae gave in quietly. “Yay! Scary stories! Yay!” Min cheered in success. “We can’t tell it now. We have to wait until it gets dark. That’s when the stories are the best.” I told him. Min thought for a bit before nodding. “You’re right!” he finally said. “Of course I am.” I laughed slightly.

“We should probably set up camp now then. Before it does get dark.” Bang spoke up. “Well look whose back.” I smiled. “You never changed.” Jongup remarked. “What? I was just suggesting.” Bang said. “We know.” The two of us said in unison. I looked at Jongup who just looked back at me, sly smiles on our faces. “Um…You guys, we have a problem.” Youngjae spoke up.

We all turned to look at him, giving our undivided attention. “I don’t know how to um, really say this because, I don’t have a clue on how it happened. But…erm…our stuff is gone.” The mage said rubbing the back of his neck. “What?” Jasmine said. “What do you mean our stuff is gone?” Daehyun questioned. “I mean it’s gone as in…it’s not here.” Youngjae said. “So where is it?” Daehyun continued to question. “I don’t know!” Youngjae said a bit flustered.

“I don’t know how it disappeared. I know for a fact that I didn’t drop the…” Youngjae stopped in the middle of his sentence as he felt thoroughly in the inside pocket of his cloak. “What’s the matter?” Zelo asked. Youngjae looked at him with wide eyes.

“There’s a large hole in the bottom of my pocket.” He said. Everyone was silent, unsure of what to say. “But it wasn’t ripped earlier today or even last night.” Youngjae said thinking hard about it. “Hmmm~, that’s strange.” I said rubbing my chin. “It’s alright. Nothing is wrong with sleeping without a tent.” Jayde said. “What about food~?” Daehyun, Tae, and Min whimpered.

“Go hunting.” Jayde shrugged. “Hunting? Are there even animals out there?” Jasmine questioned. “Yes…You just need to look closely. There are some fruits out there too.” Jayde added. “And plenty of nuts.” Himchan added. “Min, Tae, Kris, Jongup, and Himchan, The five of you go hunt for some food for everyone.” Jayde order. “Ayiyi Captain.” I saluted. “Let’s go you guys.” I encouraged, leading the way.