Chapter 25: I Know

Born Sinner

-Daehyun’s POV-

When I arrived back at the camp it was still dark, thankfully, and everyone was fast asleep. A sudden feeling of sluggishness came upon me, and I began to feel dizzy. I walked over towards Youngjae and laid down beside him, despite how I felt earlier.

He looked so precious sleeping…he was just so cute. However it looked like…it looked like he had been crying? But why? I slowly yet gently caressed his tear stained cheeks with my finger. “Why were you crying Youngjae?” I asked barely even a whisper. Only silence answered me.

I felt my heart overwhelm with sadness. I don’t know why, but I miss him…I miss him a lot. Even though we haven’t been separated physically, ever since we got into this whole war thing I felt I haven’t been able to spend much one on one time with him. And becoming those witch’s slave makes it even worse. I feel even further away from him.

I slowly reached over and pecked his lender nose and laid back in my spot. A few seconds later the younger opened his eyes, they were still glossy and looked almost half-full. “Daehyun.” Barely came out of his mouth, his voice sounded hoarse. “Youngjae.” I said quietly. I noticed the wells of his eyes immediately refilled. “You were gone.” He said. I didn’t respond.

“Where did you go Daehyun?” he asked seeming worried. I didn’t want to lie to him…but I couldn’t tell him the truth. “I just went for a walk.” I just couldn’t.

However, my answer didn’t please him. “I don’t like you walking off alone at night.” He confessed with a pouty face. He most likely was going for a serious one, but failed to, since he looked like he was on the verge of crying.

“Don’t go anymore…please…” his voice cracked, a stray tear betrayed him, slowly falling down his cheek. “Okay, I won’t go anymore.” I promised, wiping his stray tear away with my thumb. “Good.” He barely mouthed with a small smile. I smiled weakly.

He scooted over, closer to me, snuggling his head into my chest, I automatically wrapped my arms around him. Within seconds his breathing calmed at a steady pace…he was asleep. A tear streamed down my cheek, I can’t kill Youngjae…No! I won’t!

My shoulder blade burned at the thought, but I didn’t flinch. I wasn’t going to change my mind no matter what. I just got him back after 10 long years…I will fight this curse and not let it control me, the pain means nothing to me.

The physical pain is absolutely nothing compared to the internal pain I’d feel if Jae was no longer around. The thought made my heart ache immensely. I couldn’t live without Youngjae again…every day would be like an actual living hell, especially if it was because of me. I held onto the younger tighter.

How could I have agreed to such a thing? I don’t care if I was under a curse and I was forced to do this. My love for Youngjae should be way stronger than some measly curse…but…but I couldn’t fight it. Just then another thought crossed my mind…I can’t trust myselfI c-cannot trust myself.

Even though it was put behind us, Youngjae was right, he can’t trust me. Another stray tear trickled down my cheek. I nuzzled my nose in his hair. “I’m sorry Youngjae.” I said so quietly that I couldn’t even hear myself without straining. That was all I could say. “I’m sorry…” it seems like no matter what happens or how good or bad something may seem or turn out in the end, I’m always apologizing to him. “I’m sorry.”

 

 

That night I could barely sleep. I was only able to close my eyes for a good to three minutes before a startling thought forced my eyes open. It was a restless, long night. It wasn’t until early the next morning when I began to doze off, but by then everyone was waking up.

Min jumped on me in his pup form, my face. Tae jumped on top of Youngjae doing the same.

Youngjae turned slightly in my arms chuckling light-heartedly. I smiled at his sweet laughter. “Okay you guys…we’re…we’re up.” Youngjae chuckled keeping his left eye closed as Tae that side of his face. Min barked and the two jumped off of us, heading towards their next victims who’d most likely be Himchan and Jongup.

“Morning Jae.” I forced a smile at him, not moving from our position. “Morning, Daehyun.” He cooed with a bright smile. I looked at him a bit confused. “You’re happy all of a sudden.” I pointed out. He blushed bashfully. “Why’s that?” I asked curiously raising an eyebrow. “Nothing.” He said still blushing, trying to wriggle out of my hold. “I just smiled. “Come on~…” He pouted.

A slight sigh passed my lips involuntarily, but I quickly covered it with a smile. “Okay~.” I pretended to whimper, releasing my hold…slightly. He frowned. “Really Daehyun?” He said. I just chuckled removing my arms from him, getting up first.

“Everyone up?” Kris asked once we were all gathered in the center of camp. “Yep!” Tae and Min chirped in unison. Kris smiled in satisfaction, it was his idea for the twins to wake everyone up. “Where’s Bang and Lee?” Himchan asked. “They went out to hunt.” Tae answered enthusiastically.

Just then a loud growl emitted from my stomach. Youngjae looked at me and chuckled. “I guess they’re not the only hungry ones.” Kris teased. I blushed slightly in embarrassment.

“We still have food from last night.” Min perked. “Oh yes we do! Min and I guarded the food last night.” Tae said nodding in agreement. Without another word the two zipped away to get the food. “So Captain Jayde, what do you have planned for us for the day? Eh?” Kris asked as the said person joined us. “Just traveling the rest of the way to our destination.” Jayde shrugged, stretching her arms.

“Rest of the way?” Himchan repeated. Jayde nodded. “So…does that mean we’re almost…there?” He questioned. Jayde sighed and nodded again, “We can make it within a day’s walk.” She said. This only made him look worried. A wary look also came across Jasmine’s face as well.

“Hey! Don’t worry about it you guys.” Kris spoke up. “You got this, you’ve trained just for this.” He encouraged. “But…we’re not fighters…or skilled ones either.” Himchan spoke honestly. “Not to mention we’ve only been training for hardly even a month. He added quietly.

“But when you were training you trained hard, right?” Kris began. Himchan nodded. “And you had excellent teachers training you am I right?” he went on. Himchan nodded as well. “And you had an excellent, clever leader you right?” Kris said pointing back at Jayde with his thumb. “Yes.” Himchan answered.

Kris smiled in satisfaction, resting his hands on his own hips. “That’s all you need. With all of that, everything will fall into place. But, you have to stay motivated and know what you’re fighting for.” He said.

At that moment Tae and Min arrived with the basket of food, and not long after that, Lee and Bang returned, joining us. “Let me ask all of you this.” Kris began again. “Jongup…What is it that you’re fighting for?” Kris asked. Jongup stood there for a bit, actually taking time to think about it. “My friends, you guys, and everyone else who was affected by the war, Ms. Yoo.” he finally said.

Kris nodded, then went to Himchan. Himchan?” he asked. “Those who lost everything to the DM, my friends and family, and Youngjae’s mother.” Himchan said after thinking for a few minutes. I noticed a lump form in Jae’s throat at the two mentions of his mother. He shivered sadly. I wrapped an arm around him in comfort. “What about you Jasmine?” Kris continued going around in a circle. “Everyone of course.” She answered immediately.

“Lee…what is it that you are fighting for?” Kris asked the vampire. “Tae and Min…and Jayde…and you guys, and myself.” He shrugged. “How about you Bang?” The Shadow Seeker moved on. “Everyone I care for, Youngjae’s mother, and those hurt by the war.” The new born answered in all seriousness. “Okay. Youngjae…you?” Kris asked.

“My mom…my childhood friends who I’ve grown up with all my life…everyone here and those who were hurt as well because of the war.” Youngjae said strongly. Kris nodded, then looked at me. “Daehyun?” I thought for a bit, before answering right away. “Me? I’m fighting for Youngjae and Ms.Yoo…all of you guys and also the slaves of the DM who are forced to work for them, against their will.” I answered.

Kris stood there for a minute in thought. Slowly nodding. “I never thought about that. I’ll add that to my list as well.” He said a small smile on his face, then he walked to the other side of the small circle. “Zelo-ah…who are you fighting for?” He asked the younger. Zelo stood up firmly, stern and serious. He already knew his answer. “Every single person who the DM touched and hurt, including Youngjae’s mom.” Zelo said looking straight at Bang, Youngjae, and then me…which threw me a bit off guard. I had to look away. I couldn’t look at him. “…and Jayde.” He finally added. This grabbed everyone’s attention, but we all understood, except for Jayde, who seemed a bit thrown off. Kris smiled and turned to the twins.

“And you two?” he asked. “I’m fighting for Min!” Tae said excitedly. “And I’m fighting for Tae!” Min jumped. “And we’re both fighting for all of you.” Min added. “And we’re also fighting for Jayde.” Tae said. Min nodded in agreement. “And we’re fighting for little Susie!” They both sang in unison.

Kris looked at them with confusion. “Little Susie?” he repeated. “Yeh, the little girl that scary man sang about.” Min reminded. “I know, but why?” he asked curiously. “Because, she was the first person to be killed by the Dark Magic.” Tae explained, receiving a few nods of agreement. “Yeah~…for Susie.” Kris said deep in thought. “What or who are you fighting for Kris?” Min asked.

“Hhm…I’m fighting for my fellow Shadow Seekers, The Dark magic’s slaves as Daehyun mentioned, Susie like you guys said, You all, everyone else harmed by the DM…and~, Jayde.” Kris finished. “Why?” Jayde finally spoke up. We all averted our attention towards her.

“Why not? You’re our leader.” Kris said. “And you’re the one who brought us all together.” Tae added. “And you’re the strongest out of all of us.” Lee said. “And you know more than everyone her.” Zelo added. “You’re a major factor in our mission.” Yongguk spoke up. “You’re the one who united us and without you I don’t know how we’d get along.” Tae added. Jayde looked away in embarrassment, never really considering what they said, before.

“Awe~, are you blushing? THE one and only powerful Jayde…is…blushing?” Kris teased, poking Jayde’s cheeks. Jayde hit the Shadow Seeker’s hand away, her attention going back to Himchan. “You all are ready. I know it. I didn’t just randomly choose you guys. Just stay focus and don’t lose sight of what’s important. And if anything unexpected happens…I’ll take care of it. I promise.” Jayde said with great authority.

Suddenly everyone began to clap. Jayde blinked several times, completely lost. “Wh-Why?” was all she could say, but no one answered her and just smiled.

“Now let’s eat!” Tae cheered, taking the basket. Without another word, everyone (with the exception of Jayde, Bang, and Lee) huddled around him. I walked over to Jayde taking advantage of being alone with her. “Um…Jayde?” I said once I was close.

She still looked a bit confused but smiled slightly when she saw me. Her smile was pretty heart-warming, almost making me forget what I was going to say. “You have a nice smile. You should smile more often.” I chuckled shyly. She blinked, thrown off once more. “Um…” she was lost for words. “You’re welcome.” I smiled taking it as a thank you. “Yeah.” She just nodded. “Do you need anything?” She asked, quickly changing the subject. “Oh…Oh yeah, erm…I’m in a slight pickle.” I said regaining my thoughts.

She looked at me with concern, already knowing what it was. “Jayde…” I said looking at her with desperate eyes. I didn’t want to repeat everything that had happened the other night. Her eyes saddened. No. “..I-I can’t…I can’t trust myself. I-I love Youngjae so much. And…And I don’t want anything to happen to Zelo. But…But I don’t know if I can control myself.” I felt my bottom lip quiver and my body shivered as I poured out my worries.

Jayde rest both her hands on my shoulders gently and looked me deep in the eyes softly and caringly. “I promise you…everything will be okay.” She assured.

But that didn’t help at all. “Can’t you just take away the curse? Please?” I said almost desperately as doubt lingered in the back of my mind. “I can…I have the ability to…” She paused for a bit, as if to actually take it into consideration. “…but I can’t. If I do, the outcome come be good for your own future.” She said.

I shook my head feeling weak all of a sudden. “No…No, please Jayde. I’m begging you.” I pleaded. She just sighed, not responding. She wasn’t going to change her mind. “But what if something does happen? What if you don’t see it? What if…what if…” I spoke frantically, unable to find my words. The Sphinx narrowed her eyes at me seeming slightly offended. But she quickly softened her glare, taking a deep breath. “You…You just have to trust me Daehyun. You just have to.” She finally said.

I still wasn’t convinced, I was too engulfed in my worries to think straight or properly. I felt like I was going mad. “Jayde seemed to notice this. “Look at me.” She ordered.

I immediately obeyed and looked straight at her. She flashed a soft, genuine smile and instantly I felt my thoughts clear away and I felt stronger. To my surprise Jayde looked shocked at my sudden change in posture. “What? Did you not do that?” I questioned.

She blinked a couple of times, removing her hands from my shoulders. At that moment the sun was visible and gladly sprinkled its delicate rays on us. There were a few gasps that came from the others “Fresh sunshine! Finally!” Tae squealed, jumping happily in excitement.

Jasmine smiled, sighing in relief. “I miss the sun so much. Being in this dark forest is so depressing.” She said. However, Lee, Min and Bang hissed in pain, dodging under the trees for protection, earning a laugh from Jongup. I looked at Jayde, who looked back at me with wide, curious eyes.

“Where did the sun suddenly come from?” Himchan asked curiously. Huge smiles grew on Kris’s and Zelo’s faces as they turned, looking in our direction. “It was Jayde.” Zelo said. “Her emotions did that.” Kris smirked teasingly. Jayde ignored him and turned her attention back to me. “You should eat. We’re about to leave soon.” She said. I nodded, “Sounds like a good idea.”

 

 

 

A/N: Hey guys! Sorry for the one chapter today, today and the pass few days have been ctazy. But I hope you enjoyed this small chapter lol. Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate it, your feed back makes my day :)