Chapter 1: Questions

Born Sinner

-Daehyun’s POV-

“Are we there?” Jongup asked for the 5th time. “No! Not yet Jongup.” Himchan said in annoyance. Jongup sighed in frustration. “I told you it was far.” Zelo reminded him. We’ve been traveling for 13 hours straight, without stopping. We only stopped once to stop back at home, so Youngjae could talk to his friends. It was more of a silent journey. I guess there wasn’t much to say. It made me upset not being able to see the letter/map thing. I didn’t understand anything Youngjae, Zelo, Himchan, and Jongup were talking about. Yongguk didn’t seem to mind too much and followed along.

I could tell that Youngjae was still trying hard to get over his mother’s death, but he didn’t show it. I guess he didn’t want to bring any more attention to himself.

“Alright…we can take a small break, we’re really close, so we’ll make it before the moon rises.” Himchan announced. “Thank goodness.” Jongup said being the first to hop off his horse. The rest of us did the same. Yongguk walked up to me concerned. “How are you feeling?” He asked me quietly. “I’m fine.” I assured him trying to hold back my coughing.

Yongguk gave me a look not believing me. “I’ll be…fine.” I promised finally letting out my cough, it hurt like . I couldn’t stop coughing. I tried to gasp for air but it only made it worse. “Daehyun…” Yongguk sighed. This caught Youngjae’s attention and he walked over towards us. Awe~ man.

“Are you okay?” He asked me worried. Yongguk left, leaving the two of us alone. Wow thanks Yongguk. “I’m fine.” I lied finally catching my breath. Youngjae didn’t believe me. “Don’t worry about me.” I smiled crookedly. “You’ve been coughing before and now it’s much worse. What’s wrong?” he asked not taking ‘nothing’ for an answer. I sighed.

“It’s just a little cold from when we were in the rain.” I said honestly. “Why don’t you stay here and rest until you get better? I can go alone with Zelo and Jongup. Himchan can show you and Yongguk the way when you’re ready to travel again.” He suggested. “So pretty much, you want me to stay behind.” I said coughing a little. I felt my body begin to warm up and a little tingle in my nose.

“You know that’s not it.” He said looking away. I didn’t respond. “…I just don’t want to lose anyone else to some sickness.” He spoke quietly. I rest my hand on his shoulder. “I’ll be fine.” I promised him. He just looked at mr for a little bit before walking away silently.

Youngjae sat alone looking out into the distance. “I thought this was supposed to be a happy time.” Jongup remarked joinging me. “It’s more of an adequate feeling.” I told him. “Yeah, I’m not feeling all that well myself.” Jongup said. I just shook my head.

“So…what did that letter say anyway?” I asked him. “Just something about Youngjae having to arrive at Moonlight Bay Kingdom by the next New Moon.” He said. I just looked at him. “I know that.” I remarked. “I’m not done yet.” He said.

“It also said something about the place having the answer to something. But it didn’t say what though. Also something about someone very important that we need to meet.” He added. “We? I thought it was just for Youngjae.” I pointed out. “Well the letter said ‘you guys’, maybe she was talking about us too.” Jongup shrugged and walked away.

I sat down coughing and sneezing some more. My cold was getting worse and it was getting even more difficult to endure. Youngjae looked back at me. I forced a smile. He just stared at me, not believing one second that I was okay and looked back out in the distance. I sighed, I wonder what’s going on in his mind. He seemed fine before but now he’s just more to himself. I didn’t ask him about it, because I knew he didn’t want any more attention.

“Should we leave now? So that we can get there sooner. Maybe they have some medicine or something to help you.” Himchan said. “No. Take your time. Don’t worry about me.” I told him. Himchan shook his head and sighed. “We’ll leave in a few minutes.” Yongguk said joining us.

The 3 of us watched as Zelo and Jongup ran around being silly. Later Yongguk joined them and Himchan took a quick cat nap. I couldn’t help but smile at the scene, it was nice and humbling. The only thing that was missing was Youngjae being here next to me. I really hope he’s okay.

“Alright! Let’s go.” Himchan yawned when he woke up. “Awe~ I don’t want to go. Just a little longer.” Jongup whined like a child. “No.” Himchan said standing up. Jongup pouted and dragged over to his horse. “C’mon Uppie! We’re almost there.” Junhong said cheerfully joining Yongguk on his horse. “We’ve been riding forever. I haven’t even worked out today. I don’t want to lose my beautiful body.” Jongup said. Himchan rolled his eyes. “Then walk the rest of the way.” he muttered. “You know what…I think I’ll do that. It’ll build my valves.” Jongup said pulling along his horse instead of climbing on it. I laughed little about to help Youngjae up on the horse when he stopped.

“I don’t need help. Thank you though.” He spoke quietly. “Um…okay.” I said backing off. The others watched as Youngjae struggled a little bit but eventually got on the horse. He continued to look in the distance away from us.

I looked at Yongguk who slightly shrugged. I joined Youngjae on the horse, sitting in front of him. “Okay, let’s go.” Himchan said leading the way and the rest of us followed him.

We rode for a little bit when I spotted a black figure run pass us. Then another passed us, going the other direction. “Did you see that?” I asked the others. They all nodded. Yongguk pulled out his sword. “Let’s keep moving.” He commanded.

We moved slowly being cautious. Seconds later another one passed by us. I put my hand across my waist to grab my sword…when…”Hello.” Someone popped from the tree hanging upside down. Yongguk jumped back pointing his sword.

“Whoa…You should be careful with that someone could get hurt.” It was a girl. She swung on the branch sitting up right. Yongguk put his sword back. Zelo was the first to hop off the horse and the rest of us slowly did the same. “Hey.” Jongup winked at her. “Hey.” She said mimicking him.

She wore an all-black outfit with black combat boots. It was the strangest thing. She was wearing pants and…she’s a girl. “Who are you?” Yongguk questioned. “Well. I’m not you. I can tell you that.” She said jumping down from the tree branch.

“Obviously.” Himchan muttered. “But I know who you are Himchan.” She remarked. Himchan’s eyes widened. “H-H-how do you…” He couldn’t finish. I studied her for a bit. I’ve never seen her before. Unless she’s been stalking us this whole time.

“1, 2, 3, 4, 5…6. Hmmm there’s two extra.” She noted to herself. Extra? “I’m guessing you are looking for the Moonlight Bay Kingdom?” she said. “How do you know?” Yongguk asked suspiciously. “I know almost everything.” She smirked. Bang narrowed his eyes at her, trying to figure the strange girl out. “And we’ve been expecting you….well, four of you.” She said. “Who’s the extra...Himchan?” Jongup remarked.

“No, actually we’ve been expecting Himchan.” The girl said. “Who else?” I spoke up. “Youngjae.” She said. My eyes widened a little, but Youngjae didn’t look too surprised. “Zelo and Jongup.” She finished. “The other two…Bang Yongguk and Jung Daehyun, we weren’t expecting.” She said.

“Then how do you know our names?” I challenged. “Must I repeat myself? I know almost everything.” She said again. I didn’t respond and folded my arms. “Wait a second. Are you-,” Zelo didn’t finish but the girl nodded. I didn’t understand what was going on at all.

“Is that why Bang and Daehyun couldn’t read the letter?” Zelo asked her. The girl shook her head. “They don’t know because they’re normal. They’re normal human beings.” She answered. “I always knew I was one of kind.” Jongup remarked. Zelo looked confused.

“As you know you’re already different, but you just don’t know what you are. I am here to tell you that.” She smiled gently to the maknae. “The four of you step up. Bang, Jung step back please. The others obeyed, but I reluctantly stepped back. “Youngjae you are exactly what your mother was.” She began. Youngjae looked up at her not quite understanding.

“You are mage. You control magic and all that fun stuff, like your mother and Dr.Sunhi.” She explained, then she moved onto Zelo. “Zelo you are….well honestly there’s no particular name for you, but you pretty much control time. You can also see into the future and past. That kind of power is very rare. You’re not born with it. It’s given to you by those who are worthy of that power. You should be proud. Congratulations. She said then moved to Himchan.

“Prince Himchan…you control the element of fire.” She announced. “No wonder you get hot headed so easily.” Jongup teased, the elder just shot him a glare. “And you Moon Jongup, you control the element of water.” The stranger finished.

“No wonder we get along so well…opposites attract you know.” Jongup smirked at Himchan who rolled his eyes in response. “Wait how can we believe you? This is-this is silly.” I spoke up.

“Daehyun.” Zelo spat back at me. I just looked at him. “What?” I said. Zelo turned back to the girl. “Can we…talk for a bit?” He asked the girl’s permission. She nodded and disappeared back into the trees. “Daehyun. You need to be more careful. You don’t want to get her mad or at least on her bad side.” Junhong said in a hushed tone.

“What? Why? We don’t even know her. Do you really expect us to believe a complete stranger who knows who we are? I wouldn’t trust someone like that.” I argued. “Just listen to me. I know who she is. She’s really powerful and can do crazy stuff.” Zelo said warily. “Tch.” I scoffed. “Junhong-ah, listen to yourself. You can’t actually believe what she’s saying.” I remarked, but the younger didn’t say anything else. “I believe her.” Youngjae spoke up.

This caught me completely off guard. “Me too.” Jongup nodded. Youngjae read my facial expression and said, “Think about it. You and Yongguk are the only ones who couldn’t read the letter, and you two are the only ones who don’t have some kind of special power. Though there hasn’t been any signs of us having any powers, maybe this is why my mother sent us here.” “The whole thing does seem kind of far-fetched but, for some reason I can’t help but believe what she’s saying.” Himchan confessed.

“So what do you guys think we should do then?” Yongguk asked not giving his thoughts or opinions. “Zelo?” Himchan said as all of our attention turned towards him. “Me? You want me to make the decision?’ He asked surprised.

We nodded. “You said you know who she is.” Himchan reminded. The younger nodded in understanding. “Well, we have to get to Moonlight Bay, and she knows the way. So~, let’s go for it. Let’s follow her.” Zelo smiled. I was still hesitant. Yongguk noticed this. “Think of it this way, Youngjae is going to go either way.” He told me. “Yeah, yeah I know.” I said.

Zelo turned around and called out for the girl. “Um…Hello? Excuse me miss?” Zelo said awkwardly unsure of what to call her. “Yes?” the girl responded jumping down from the trees. “Um…can you…uh~, take us to Moonlight Bay?” Junhong asked sweetly.

“Sure.” She said and turned around leading the way when she suddenly stopped and looked back at us. “Are the two humans coming? The two normal ones?” She questioned. Junhong nodded. “Great.” She muttered sounding somewhat annoyed. I was offended by this. “That means we have to deal with the guardians of the place. Pure humans aren’t allowed in the Kingdom.” She informed. Jongup looked back at the two of us with an amused look on his face.

“Alright. Let’s go. Leave your horses here. You won’t need to take them with you.” She said. “But what if we need to ride them?” I challenged. Zelo and Youngjae glared at me, but I didn’t care. I’m not scared of some girl who wears pants. “You have two feet don’t you?” She retorted. I nodded. “So?” “Then use them.” She said turning her back towards us. Then she snapped her fingers and all of our horses disappeared.

“Hey! What did you do?!” I spat. “Your horses will be fine.” She simply waved him off and started walking. Everyone followed.

I reluctantly lagged behind the group not liking this chick one bit or even the idea of the entire thing itself. I can’t believe them. How can they believe this stranger? Especially Youngjae! He’s smart! So then why is he following her? And Bang hasn’t said a word. He’s just going along with it! I folded my arms not saying anything else. “So~, what’s your name?” Jongup asked in a flirtatious way.

“Jayde.” She simply answered pushing large leaves out of her way. “Oh really? Your name starts with a ‘J’, so does mine.” Jongup winked. The girl seemed to pay no mind to him. “And so does Junhong’s.” Himchan remarked.

Our surroundings became more and more forest like the further we went, with more plants and larger trees and leaves in the way, and animals creeping along the floor. I began to sneeze and cough all over again. “Shhhh…” Jayde froze and my sneezing and coughing immediately stopped. She could’ve done that earlier. -.-

We all stopped and listened carefully. There was ruffling in the bushes ahead of us. The ruffling became louder and closer. I also started to hear growling. Then suddenly 3 large wolves jumped up and charged towards Bang and I. But then they suddenly stopped when the Jayde girl somehow appeared right in front of us. The wolves stared at us for a few seconds then changed into human form.

I blinked several times not believing what just happened right in front of me. I looked at Yongguk for clarification. He looked back at m, clarifying that he saw it too.

“Jayde.” The guy on the right said surprised. “Don’t worry about them. They’re with us. They aren’t a threat.” Jayde explained sounding annoyed. “Okay. Well, I’ll call off the others, so that they don’t get in the way.” The guy on the right spoke again. “Okay. The girl nodded. “Let’s go you guys.

I looked to see that she was already back in the front. “Were those the guardians?” I asked Bang. He just shrugged and we continued on our journey.

“Wow~! Is this it?” Zelo suddenly gasped a few minutes later. Jayde nodded. “Wow~!” Junhong repeated in awe. Himchan seemed just amazed as well, staring right in front of him. I scratched my head in confusion, “I don’t see anything.” I said.

“What do you mean? It’s right there! It’s so beautiful!” Zelo said excitedly. “Come on Youngjae!” he said grabbing Youngjae’s wrist running into the distance and they completely vanished, like they just disappeared.

“Where did they go?” Yongguk asked finally speaking up. “They’re right there Bang. Zelo is running around the place pulling Youngjae with him.” Jongup answered plainly. He and Himchan took a couple of steps forward before disappearing as well.

“There’s a force-field covering the entire kingdom. Humans on the outside can’t see or hear anything from it. Nor can they even get in.” Jayde simply explained. “So what about us?” I asked. “Hold each other’s hands.” She ordered.

Yongguk and I looked at each other, then back at the girl. “Do you want to get in or not?” She said. We nodded. “Then do it.” She said. Bang and I awkwardly did as we were told. Then she took my wrist and her eyes turned a deep violet color and she pulled us through the force-field.

I accidentally tripped on something causing Yongguk and I to fall over. I looked up and my eyes widened. Zelo was right. The place was beautiful! It was amazing! It was breath-taking! It was as if it were made of jewels. It was like nothing I’ve ever seen before! “You guys can let go of each other’s hands now.” Jayde interrupted.

I looked and saw that I was still holding Yongguk’s hand. We quickly (and awkwardly) let go. “I mean if you guys still want to…you can, I guess.” She said walking away.

I dusted myself off and stood back up. “This place is…wow.” Yongguk remarked. I nodded in agreement. “I want to stay here forever!” Zelo cheered as we joined them. “We just got here.” Yongguk laughed. “I know but there’s just something about this place that makes me feel…that makes me feel like…” Junhong wasn’t sure what word to use. “…like you belong?” Youngjae helped him. Zelo nodded vigorously. “The sun is setting. Let’s go to the palace.” Jayde said not sounding very excited.

We followed her through the majestic city. It was a very joyful and festive place. People danced in the streets, creating shows with their powers. There were kids running around playing with their special gifts. Everyone seemed to get along very well, there was no division between the groups of people. They didn’t have a care in the world. It kind of brought a nice warm feeling to me.

“Here we are.” Jayde announced with a lack of enthusiasm. I looked up to be greeted by an extremely large castle that was decorated with jewels embedded on the side. And around the castle was a moat of clear, sparkling water with a floor of emeralds. Once the bridge came down we crossed it.

“Is there a King that rules over this place?” Zelo asked Jayde as we walked through the castle. “No, there’s a council of 5 that watch over the Kingdom. They’re usually voted into the position if something happens to one of the members.” The girl explained. “But they are pretty much like royalty.

She stopped in front of two large double doors guarded by two tall guards. Jayde seemed to not pay any attention to them and walked right up to the doors and opened them. She stopped and turned around when she noticed that none of us followed. “Come on.” She said motioning for us to follow. Jongup was the only one who followed. “What are you guys waiting for?” she said getting a little impatient.

We just stared up at the intimidating guards. She followed our eyes and shook her head in annoyance when she realized what we were staring at. “Come on. You’ll be fine. Trust me.” She assured.

We were all still hesitant but slowly entered the large room anyway. The two guards eyed Bang and I as we awkwardly walked passed them. Once we were all inside the double doors shut behind us.

It was completely dark, it wasn’t until seconds later when lights flashed on, one at a time revealing the large, exotic conference room. “Here sit down.” Jayde said taking a seat in one of the farther chairs. We obeyed.

I looked around and noticed that I wasn’t sitting by Youngjae. Yongguk and Zelo were right between us. I was about to ask Zelo if we could switch seats, when the Council of 5 came in. “My apologies for being late.” One of the men apologized taking his seat in the middle and the other four sat on either side of him. “There are 6 of you. I expected 4.” The man next to him with pointy ears remarked.

“Shall we introduce ourselves first?” The man in the middle began getting straight to business. His four companions nodded. “Okay! I will begin first. I am Kuam, I have the power to control the four elements of air, water, earth, and fire. I am the leader of the Council of 5.” The man in the middle introduced. “I am Slay, the elk King of the Koram elf Clan. I am the Council of 5’s researcher, or whatever you want to call me.” The man next to him with the pointy ears greeted.

“I am Yang, a priest, and the Council of 5’s treasurer.” The man next to the Slay guy introduced. “I am Gemini, Queen Fairy of the seasonal fairies. I am in charge of anything concerning the citizens of the Moonlight Bay Kingdom.” The lady on Kuam’s left introduced. “And I’m Lee, a vampire…Council of 5’s war leader, and the youngest and most attractive member.” The final member next to Gemini introduced.

Slay and Gemini rolled their eyes at the youngest member’s introduction. “I am glad that the four of you came.” Kuam spoke. Gee, nice to see you too, I thought to myself. “The other two I am unsure of your names. Jayde?” Kuam said his turning attention turning to the girl. “The one with the black hair is Bang Yongguk and the other one is Jung Daehyun. They’re Princes of their own Kingdoms. They’re humans.” Jayde answered. I still couldn’t get over the fact about how she knows who we are.

“Which one of you is the Youngjae kid?” Lee questioned leaning over the table studying us. His stares were intimidating and fierce. They seemed to pierce right through you.

Youngjae raised his hand without hesitation. Lee rubbed his chin and studied Youngjae closely. I really didn’t like him looking at Youngjae like that. “Lee you can study the young mage later, but first we must explain the reason why they were sent here.” Kuam said. Lee just growled and sat back in his seat putting his feet onto the table. “Now to begin.” Kuam said.

“Jayde told you what each of you are. Am I right?” Gemini asked. The four nodded. “Good. You guys more than likely don’t even know how to use or even summon your powers. But don’t worry about that. You wall will be trained here for about a week before we send you out.” Gemini said.

I was utterly confused. “Send us out to where? For what?” Himchan questioned. “There is a war going on. A dark magic has risen.” Slay began. “Pretty much, it’s a war between good and evil.” Lee interrupted. Slay gave the younger a look before continuing.

“They are rising fast and getting stronger every living second. They’re even recruiting normal humans on their side. We don’t know how though. Humans are very dangerous to magical creatures, however.” Slay said.

“Only because they dominate the earth.” Lee said sounding annoyed. “If we decided to rise up against them, then they don’t stand a chance.” He said. “But that’s not possible.” Yang said. “Why not?” Jongup asked curiously.

“It’s very easy for some of the magical beings to fall for humans. And regular humans have a huge effect once the being of magical origin has fallen for them. So pretty much the creature is under the Human’s control. They’re willing to do anything for them.” Gemini explained. “That only applies to Incubi.” Lee remarked. “And Vampires too.” Yang said. “It depends on who you are.” Lee hissed. “It applies to the very powerful demons, which are vampires and Incubi.” Slay said.

Lee just crossed his arms in disagreement. “But there are a few vampires that it doesn’t apply to.” Kuam spoke up. “Like lee.” Slay grumbled. “Were you guys even listening? I said that it happens to magical beings. That means it can happen to anyone including elves and priests.” Gemini said sounding somewhat annoyed. “Actually priests don’t tend to fall in love that easily.” Yang said.

“You guys are getting off subject.” Jayde remarked.

“Anyway…we need all of the good magical beings we can get to win this war.” Kuam said getting back on track. “And you all have been to chosen to help fight back.” Kuam said. “Isn’t that what we’re all doing?” Lee remarked. “I mean you’ve been chosen to lead us and take on the first and most critical mission.” Kuam said. “Our goal is to defeat them before they attack.”

“What about the humans?” Lee questioned. “Shouldn’t they be asking the questions? Not you?” Slay said. Lee ignored the elf King.

“They can help too if they want to, or they can stay here. Whatever the two of you desire.” Kuam told us. I folded my arms. “How come you’re telling us this now?” I questioned by passing the last few things they said. “Because, now is the perfect time.” Yang answered. I raised an eyebrow. That didn’t make any sense. None of this makes any sense!

“I know this is a lot to take in, you will understand eventually. But for now we won’t say anymore. You’ll start your training tomorrow around noon. If you have any more questions, then you are welcome to come to any of us, or you can ask Jayde. She’ll be working with you guys as well.” Gemini explained.

“We have rooms prepared for the four of you here in the castle. Um, some of you may have to share a room with the 2 humans.” Kuam said. “And that concludes our meeting for now. You all may go.” He said standing up. With that the 7 of us left the conference room as confused as ever.

“Wow…I’m not sure if that answered anything except for why we’re here.” Jongup said once we were out of the room. “You’ll learn more stuff along the way. They really aren’t all that good at explaining those kinds of stuff. They’re just always fussing. But they are good at leading and speeches and discussing war plans, I guess.” Jayde said plainly.

“If they’re always fussing, then why are they the leaders?” Himchan questioned. “Because they do their job well.” Jayde simply answered. “But this didn’t explain why we had to come during the night of the New Moon.” Youngjae said seeming disappointed.

“The night of the New Moon is usually referred to the night of a new life here. That’s why your mother wanted you to come here on this day.” Jayde explained. “You know a lot. You even knew about the letter!” Himchan said. “Like I said, I know almost everything.” She smirked and with that she completely vanished into thin air.

“She reminds me of Jongup.” Himchan muttered. “She’s really nice looking too.” Jongup said elbowing Himchan. “You think I have a chance?” Jongup said brushing his hair back with his hands. “No.” someone suddenly said.

We turned around and looked to see someone walk out of the dark, it was the lee guy. “Trust me…I’ve tried. She’s not interested in anyone.” Lee said leaning against the wall. We just stared at him. “It’s in her nature…because of what she is. But if you can get her then you’ll have my full respect.” Lee smirked. “What is she?” Youngjae questioned curiously.

“You’ll have to find out for yourself.” Lee said staring straight at him. Youngjae didn’t flinch at all, while the rest of us received shivers down our spine. Zelo was even holding onto Bang’s arm for protection. “Your human friends can’t protect you.” Lee laughed seeing Zelo.

Yongguk narrowed his eyes at the demon. “No need to be afraid of me, I’m not going to hurt you.” Lee smirked menacingly. No one said a word. His attention went straight back to Youngjae and he frowned. “I’ll see you later.” Lee said talking to Youngjae leaving back into the darkness.

Minutes later, someone came to us and showed us to our rooms. Bang shared a room with Zelo, and I stayed in Youngjae’s room.

There were clothes hung up in the closet and some folded in the drawers. We washed up and changed into the clothes provided for us. “Hm…This is pretty comfy.” I said once we finished changing.

“Mm…” was all Youngjae said. He just sat on the edge of the bed. He was still in his spaced out mood. “Youngjae…What’s wrong?” I finally asked sitting close beside him. He only sighed in response.

“Youngjae~,” I cooed poking his side. “I don’t know.” he spoke quietly. I listened. “It’s just…everything feels different. And nothing is going to be the same.” He went on. “Yeah~, now that we’re going to be in some war.” I remarked still not believing that this was seriously happening. “I’m talking about my mother, Daehyun.” He said looking at me with wide doe eyes.

“I tried to get over it. But now~…everything just doesn’t seem real at all. I feel weird. I feel empty inside. I feel like I know nothing.” He said holding himself bending his knees to his chest. “Youngjae, you don’t have to feel empty. You have us and Jiho and the others.” I reminded smiling at him moving a strand of hair from his face.

“I know.” he said. “But it’s still hard you know?” He sighed. I wrapped an arm around him and pulled him in closer. He rest his head on my shoulder. “I feel like I failed trying to provide for my mother and I.” He said messing with his fingers. “You wanna know what I think?” I said.

“No…not really.” He spoke softly. “Well, I think you are amazing. You did everything you could. You worked since you were seven years old, meaning that you spent less time with me back then. Remember that?” I said. “Yeah, I remember.” Youngjae said smiling. “You know, I was actually jealous back then.” I confessed.

“What? Why?” He asked. “Because you were so close to your friends and mother, and they knew everything about you. I felt like some second-rate friend of yours. This may seem crazy, but I fell for you the very first time I saw you, before I knew who you even were.” I told you.

“Oh. I didn’t like you at all.” Youngjae said honestly, giggling a little. I could only smile. “…but you were great. You even went weeks without eating just so your mom could get the proper amount of food she needed.” I reminded him. “And that’s when you made me food for the first time. I thought I was gonna die.” He teased pinching my nose.

“Yah! Now you’re just being mean.” I accused. “We’re being honest aren’t we?” he simply smiled. I wrapped another arm around him holding close. “Anyway….your mother knew that this day would come. That’s why she wrote that note, there wasn’t anything we could do about it.” I said. “You really think so?” he asked snuggling into me. “Mm hm…” I said resting my chin upon his hair.

“But…why?” he asked. “I don’t know…But you know what I do know?” I said. “What?” he asked looking up at me. I smiled widely. “That I love you.” I said. He laughed. “I love you too.” Was the last thing he said before we went to sleep.

-Youngjae’s POV-

I couldn’t really sleep well that night. I couldn’t sleep until my questions were answered. There was possibly one person who could answer them. I hope.

I pretended to sleep so that Daehyun wouldn’t worry about me. Once it was dark and Daehyun had fallen completely into a deep sleep, I sat up and slowly slipped from his arms. I smiled watching him sleep. He looked so cute. I really didn’t want to leave. “I’ll be back.” I whispered.

I quickly left the room as quietly as possible. It was dark along the everlasting corridors. Little light came from the emerald windows since the moon wasn’t visible.

The hallways were silent. I had no idea where I was going, I was just walking where ever my instincts took me. I made a few turns until I found her sitting on the edge of one of the hall’s balconies.

A gentle breeze blew through her hair. I wasn’t sure what to do honestly. She looked focused, like she was thinking deeply about something. “What do you want?” her back was towards me. I looked around to see if someone else was here. “There’s no one else here Youngjae.” She said.

I don’t know why, but it didn’t creep me out as much that she knew who I was.

I walked up to her, joining her on the balcony. “Do you really know…everything?” I asked her. “Unfortunately.” She said. “Do you know about my mother?” I asked.

“You want to know about her death? Am I right?” She said looking at me. I nodded. She nodded. “Of course.” She smiled slightly, looking back into the distance. “Ms. Yoo Leehi, mother of Yoo Youngjae. Death…only a few days ago on a very stormy night.” She began.

“Your mom was a great woman. She was sweet, caring, and kind, and also very pretty. She was a great mage. You didn’t know this but, she was once part of the council of 5. But she left after she had you.” She said. “Of course she fell for a normal human, who eventually her.” She added. “There’s one thing you have to know about mages Youngjae, especially female ones.” She went on. I listened carefully.

“They have the power to give up their powers when they have children. Sometimes their kids are born mages, other times they’re born as normal humans. You were neither. You were both…at the same time. I don’t understand how that could’ve happened but it did and it nearly took your life.” She broke it to me. “Then what happened?” I asked. “I’m getting there.” Jayde assured.

“Your mom wanted you to be a mage. She knew about the war and she wanted you to be able to protect yourself and your friends. And just like any other mother she didn’t want her child to die, so she took you to a priest. The priest was able to save you, but only as a normal human. The only way you could gain a mage’s power or pretty much become a mage is whenever your mother dies. So she died without hesitation so that you can get the powers and become much stronger.” She explained.

“But why-why did she die so early? How did she…” I was even more flabbergasted than before. “No one knows this but…she was actually poisoned, which made her weaker.” Jayde said in a hushed tone.

“What?! By who?!” I demanded getting jumpy. “You’re smart. Think about it.” She said. I stood there thinking long and hard. Who had the biggest problem with my mom? My eyes slightly widened. “Was it…my dad?”

“It wasn’t just him. Of course he had to get the poison from someone.” Jade said. “Who?” I asked. “He bought it from the King and Queen of the Jung kingdom of course. They’re the only ones in that Kingdom who can get their hands on something like that. There’s no black market in that Kingdom.” She answered.

“Wh-Wh-What?” I felt my heart pound. “Don’t jump to any conclusions. They didn’t know what he was going to use it for. He’s a very deceptive man. He deceived them into thinking that he was using it for a good cause.” She explained. “But why would they have such a thing in the first place??” I nearly snapped.

“What do you think they did with their most dangerous criminals and enemies?” She retorted. I sighed leaning against the balcony. I ran my fingers through my hair stressfully tears filling the wells of my eyes.

“Don’t blame yourself. You couldn’t have done anything to prevent it. It was bound to happen. However, you did help her live longer. She was poisoned when you were very young.” For some strange reason her words calmed me down. I don’t know how or why but they just did. She smiled a little, “Get to bed before your Romeo goes crazy looking for you.” She said. “Thank you.” I said. I smiled to myself and left the balcony.

I had no idea where to go. Which way did I turn? It was still dark, and there were several corridors to go through. It all looked more like a labyrinth.

I felt something watching me, I could feel cold eyes staring right through me. I looked around everywhere around me, but couldn’t see anyone. I know for sure that someone is here, someone other than me.

Just then I felt someone poke me from behind. “So you’re Yoo Youngjae.” The person said. His breath was cold and forced goosebumps all up my skin. I quickly turned around and saw Lee standing there close behind me…too close. I took a couple of steps back so I could breathe my own air.

The vampire sniffed the air a little, taking deep breath. “You aren’t afraid of me. You don’t know what to think of me.” He said w a crooked smiled appearing on his face. “What do you want?” I asked him.

“Why does everyone assume that I want something? I’m not a bad guy.” He said. I looked at him warily. “I just can’t believe that you’re the son of Yoo Leehi.” He said. “What’s wrong with that?” I questioned. “Nothing, you’re actually lucky to have her as a mother. I don’t have one.” He said plainly.

“Oh…I’m sorry…” I said. “I don’t want your pity or sympathy. Your mom was like a mother to me. Ever since I was a wee little vampire, she took care of me.” He said. I noticed a glimpse of innocence in his eyes.

“I was a stray. The rest of my family left me. Probably to join the dark side. I always had a bad temper and she still raised me.” He said actually smiling. “I still do though.” He suddenly scoffed. “I always wished that I was her son. Life was good, but she left after she had you. Honestly, I was jealous, but then I realized that one day she would come back once you were old enough to come. I’ve sent her letters but she never responded, I guess they never reached her.” He said. I just nodded not really understanding why he was telling me all this.

“So…how is she? Does she miss it here? When is she coming back? Why didn’t she come with you?” He quizzed. I wasn’t expecting any of those questions and I wasn’t sure how to answer any of them. I wish I could lie, I wish it wasn’t the truth, but he doesn’t know. “I’m waiting.” He said tapping his foot impatiently.

I thought about the words I should use. How did Daehyun do it? “Um…” I began. “What’s wrong? Wolfs got your tongue?” he teased, he seemed excited just hearing me speak. I looked away and closed my eyes. “She’s…she’s dead.” I said very quietly, it hurt saying those words myself.

There was no response but complete silence. I slowly re-opened my eyes carefully looking up at him. He looked stunned.

“What? No…she said that she’d come back. She promised.” He said backing up. All I could do was shake my head, I didn’t want to say it again. His eyes turned red, but they were filled with hurt and sadness. “How could this…” he didn’t finish and looked at me for an answer. “She was poisoned.” Jayde said coming from the dark appearing behind him.

A fist formed in his hand. “Someone…killed her?” he said through his teeth. Jayde nodded. Lee revealed his fangs and grabbed Jayde’s shirt. “Who did this? Who poisoned her?! Tell me!” he hissed tears streaming down his cheek. Jayde didn’t flinch one bit. She just simply plucked his hands off of her and dusted herself off.

“I don’t care how you’re feeling, that doesn’t give you a reason to do that. If I wasn’t calm or if I was angry, you’d be dead right now.” She warned, dusting herself some more. Lee looked at her breathing heavily, then he ran away, back into the darkness.

“Just go down the hall, your room is that way.” She said pointing down one of the corridors. I nodded and walked down the corridor and eventually found my room.

I quietly opened the door and closed it being careful not to wake Daehyun. I carefully went back on the bed and slipped back in his arms.

“I was about to come and get you.” He said quietly. “How did you know that I was gone?” I asked. “I may be a normal human but I can sense when my Yoo Youngjae is missing.” He smiled. All I could do was laugh. “Oh, Daehyun.