Ch 6: Goodnights

Catching the Little Fox

 

 Seokmin scribbled some notes on a blank paper with a picture of the skeletal system that he drew a few minutes ago. He was trying to remember the thickness of each bones and the risks each fractures may cause to other parts of the body, the chapter he learned from today’s lecture. He found it a lot easier to remember things when he revise them on the day, instead of later, which lessen his stress during examination period. Which will be next month.

 

Two-hours of revision really strained his shoulders so he got up to pour himself some ice cocoa. Just as he about to return to his seat, his phone buzzed on the counter. Unlocking it, he saw a message from an unfamiliar number.

 

Hey, is this Lee Seokmin’s phone? I’m Kwon Soonyoung…

 

Seokmin smiled at the very formal message. He didn’t realized the blonde hadn’t text him yet, so it was really a pleasant surprise. He sat on his bed and put the drink on the desk. He wanted to throw away the formality but it may be a little too fast for them, considering the only talked for a bit last Saturday.

 

Yes this is Seokmin. Or Dokyeom. Whichever is easier to say :D 

 

He opted to use a classic emoji instead, because Google said that flip phones have no colourful picture emojis. He saved the number as Kwon Soonyoung, erased it, and put Hoshi with a star emoji next to it instead.

 

He held the phone in one hand on his side, waiting for a reply while trying to memorize the lecture again. After what felt like forever, he remembered he ended the text without a question. No wonder there was no reply,

 

You still practicing?

 

Yeah, just finished… You still up? It’s kinda late. -Hoshi☆

 

His smile widened at the message. It was almost one in the morning, but he did slept for about two hours before getting up to study. On the other hand, the other guy was practicing until just now, yet he seemed concerned that Seokmin was still up. Was he worried? Or was it just a kind gesture?

 

Got some things to do before sleeping :) You should go back and sleep soon, it’s not good for your health - Future Dr. Seokmin

 

He made sure to write the last sentence to seem playful, hoping the other to still reply.

 

Got some practice to do before sleeping :D I’m already back and ready to sleep Dr. -Hoshi☆

 

Seokmin noticed how Soonyoung was playfully copying his text and squirmed happily on his bed. He even put a smiley face there! He smiled again, silently reading the text over and over again before realizing the time. It was only a little past 1:30, but it was past his designated bed time. If he stay awake longer, tomorrow would be dreadful.

 

I’m going to bed now. Goodnight Kwon Soonyoung-shi :)

 

He waited for a reply but he could only assume the omega was already asleep as none came.

 

*****

 

I’m going to bed now. Goodnight Kwon Soonyoung-shi :) -Lee Seokmin

 

Soonyoung threw his phone to his side. Saying goodnight back means he agreed to be close to the alpha, which was not his plan at all.

 

His mp3 ran out of battery so he did a lot of thinking on his way back to his dorm. He only texted the man because he suddenly remembered about it, but he was not expecting the man to still be awake.

 

However, when another reply came, he decided to reply to it properly. Only because the man seemed calm, unlike the hyper image he had in his head. Or maybe he replied because he was bored. Whichever it was.

 

Sighing, he opened a text from Mr. Deep Voice, just to erase the fluttering feeling that he had when he received the goodnight message from Seokmin. The former also gave him a lot of goodnight messages, which he opened one by one.

 

Yes. Seokmin’s goodnight was nothing compared to his crush’s. Yet he still feel the butterflies.

 

*****

 

Soonyoung watched as Hyoyeon and his seniors did the body wave behind the curtain, followed by some intense breaking, playing with the silhouette like they discussed last week. He was not able to attend the practice during the weekdays due to his schedule so it was his first time seeing the full dance. Something was just missing…

 

‘Can you have a larger curtain? I think you guys have to stand further behind…’

 

‘What’re you thinking?’

 

‘Playing with size.’ He stated confidently and the others understood right away and adjusted the screen. Soonyoung recorded the performance and showed them the improved version, earning a compliment from his seniors. Based on the comment, they re-discussed the whole choreography for another good hour before ending the session.

 

As per tradition, Hyoyeon and another senior would proceed to teach Hoshi and a few other advanced member some new dance, this time being popping.

 

Seokmin just stared at the blonde with admiration, yet again. In front of him, another senior was trying to teach them a simple dance move which Seokmin picked up straight away. He may seem like an awkward dancer based on last week’s performance, but Seokmin knew the basics. He used to practice with his cousin back at home when he was little. He only stopped when the older moved back to his parents house in a different city.

 

‘WOAH SEOKMIN! NICE MOVE!!!’ Bam Bam screamed out of nowhere, making all his new friends stared at him.

 

Seokmin smiled shyly and apologized to his senior who was teaching for disturbing the class. ‘What are you doing???’ he whispered angrily at his friend.

 

‘Hoshi looked at you for a moment.’ he winked without any further comment.

 

Seokmin cursed under his breath and continued doing the dance with his friend beside him.

 

‘Hey, we should try going to the intermediate group.’ Bam Bam whispered, and Seokmin looked back at him weirdly. ‘Hoshi teach that group sometimes.’

 

Seokmin stared back at his friend and the latter nodded furiously, telling him that he was not lying.’I did some digging.’

 

‘But I can’t dance.’

 

‘Yeah right.’ Bam Bam rolled his eyes, ‘Listen, after this they’ll have us do the dance by ourselves and evaluate us. Dance like you ing mean it. There’s your prize.’ He suddenly made an awkward motivational speech and pointed at Soonyoung longer that he should. Seokmin grabbed that finger and pulled it down, peeking at the blonde in hope that he didn’t notice.

 

He sighed in relief when he notice that the blonde was too busy dancing to even look at his surrounding.

 

As his friend notified, the seniors gathered to watch the newbies perform the dance they just learned a few hours ago. And both Seokmin and Bam Bam danced their heart out. Well, Seokmin did. Bam Bam just did it calmly since he was actually already an excellent dancer.

 

After the session ended, some seniors gathered by themselves and discussed results. Seokmin had another appointment so he made his way out before the announcement, after bidding his goodbyes that is. Bam Bam followed him, just because.

 

Today too, he missed his chance to talk to his fox. Which was really disappointing.

 

*****

 

Soonyoung stared at his phone. He heard today’s result but noticed that Seokmin went back early before the announcement. Since he would be the one teaching next week, he was considering really hard on whether to tell the man about his new group, or let him know next week. The latter option would be really awkward, at least on his side because he would have to pretend to not know when he did.

 

And furthermore, when he could have told the man since they have each others’ contacts.

 

But he really do not feel like messaging the man. At night. Because of goodnights.

 

But, it would be more awkward to not tell him tonight. If he decided to tell… Arghhh whatever!

 

Hey, congratulations! I heard you and your friend will be in a new group next week!

 

He reread the sentence and thought he sounded too excited so he replaced the last exclamation mark with a smiley face.

 

A reply never came. Soonyoung realized it was stupid of him to send the message, and fell asleep after throwing his phone under the bed.

 

*****

 

Seokmin just got back from his basketball practice threw his gym back on the floor. His left arm felt really sore and the cut on his forearm felt like it was throbbing. Remembering the larger and bulkier senior who accidentally bump into him full force while attempting to shoot, he was lucky there was no broken bones. And that all of his team members are medic students so they took quick measures to help him mend his hands.

 

Hopefully it would heal by next week so he can partake in the friendly competition with another university’s basketball team. For the time being, he needed to use his left hand less. Not that that would effect his everyday life since he was right-handed.

 

Looking at the clock, he groaned. Practice took longer than he imagined. Moreover because of his injuries. It was already three in the morning, yet he still hadn’t took a shower yet. He hated late-night showers because there was no hot water this time. Dragging his legs, he took one anyway and hurriedly put on his big sweatshirt and slept, forgetting to charge his phone.

 

*****

 

‘Dude… What happened??’ Seokmin groaned at the annoying voice so early in the morning. ‘Dude, your hand!!!’ He felt his left hand being lifted.

 

‘Urghh go away…’

 

‘YOUR HAND!’

 

‘YAAAH!’ Seokmin woke up, all grumpy due to lack of sleep and the pain in his hands. He never felt this annoyed waking up before. He was always all sunshine, so this shocked Bam Bam who jumped away from his bed.

 

‘You okay?’ His friend came closer, trying to inspect the bandaged hand. Seokmin laid back down, trying to sleep again.

 

‘Jooheon-sunbae bumped into me during practice. Nothing’s broken, just some scratches.’ He stated lazily.

 

‘Thank god! I thought you won’t be able to dance again! Not when we just got promoted!’

 

‘What?’ Seokmin sat up suddenly, squeezing his hand in the process. ‘AAAAAOOOO!!!’

 

‘Calm down…’ Bam Bam hit his back repeatedly, earning him a forceful push from his friend. ‘I gave you a message but you didn’t read it so I came here. Aren’t I sweet?’

 

‘Owh? I didn’t get your message… Where’s my phone?’ Both of them looked for the man’s phone but to no avail. After turning the whole place upside down, much to Seokmin’s dismay, Bam Bam finally found a dead phone inside the gym bag.

 

‘It’s dead.’

 

‘You didn’t have to make a mess. I only used the gym bag last night.’

 

‘Hey it’s not my fault you lost your phone!’ The pink-haired tried to avert the blame away. He plugged in the phone and headed out for a date, signaling his friend to sleep.

 

Seokmin complied and tried closing his eyes. After a few minutes, his phone buzzed. He scanned the phone and was shocked to see a text from the blonde. Yes…

 

He was planning on skipping the club next week since he had a competition the next day, but not anymore. Not when he get to talk to his heartthrob. Maybe he was an okay dancer after all.

 

*****

 

Soonyoung ran out of the bus as fast as he could, heading towards his room. The cafe where he did his part-time was packed with customers today which made it hard for him to be relieved from work on time. At least it would mean more money at the end of the month. And, he also got to buy the latest Shinee album whilst waiting for the bus home, which was only once ever half an hour.

 

 

Stripping shirt and throwing it towards his bed, he got into the shower and let the water rain over him. Only swiftly because he still had the club activities later so there was no use taking a long time. Still feeling giddy from getting his hands on his favourite band’s album, he chose to wear his Shinee official shirt which he he got from a good friend.

 

 

Checking himself in the mirror to make sure he look at least presentable, he stepped out with his dancing shoes towards the gym.

 

 

Everyone was already hanging around when he stepped into the large room. One of his senior was showing the members the standard choreograph for the standard song they use to train new recruits. Bowing a little as an apology, not too low, he took his spot beside the lady. She messed his hair a bit and made her way to Hyoyeon’s class.

 

 

After a good fifteen minutes break, Soonyoung introduced himself to the new faces. He spotted the pink hair and Seokmin in the crowd smiling widely, but ignored it all together. He could only wish today’s session will end without any embarrassing incident. And aside from the random wink for the pink haired alpha, nothing big actually happened.

 

 

He had hoped Seokmin would be good enough for him to not correct any move because one, he didn’t want to go there to tell him to fix it, and two, the pink-hair would look at them with a suggestive smile on his face everytime he did. But unfortunately for him, Seokmin was an awkward dancer. Good, but awkward.

 

 

‘Your hand is a bit stiff Seokmin-sshi.’ He held the man’s right hand and bend it a bit, ignoring the stare the alpha was obviously trying to hide. ‘And this,’ he held the left wrist a bit too hard apparently, as the man winced a little, shocking him a bit. He cleared his throat and continued moving it to a better position.

 

 

An hour of teaching and he finally ended today’s class. Everyone was chattering away and some already packed their bags, while some headed towards the shower room. He noticed Seokmin looking up, smiling weakly at someone, another new face maybe, while squeezing his left wrist. Only then did he noticed the patch around that part. Feeling the alpha’s gaze on him, he quickly avert his eyes, feigning ignorance while secretly curious to what happened.

 

 

When he tried to look again, the man was already gone.

 

 

Should he apologize for his rough grip? But he didn’t know Seokmin was hurt…. Why was he hurt anyway?

 

 

Shaking his head as if to say no towards his thoughts, he got up and made his way out of the gym towards his department.

 

 

Why was the wrist covered in hot patch anyway? No, stop. Stop.

 

 

To be continued…

 

A/N

 

Hey guys! I know, the story is progressing quiet slowly, I apologize for that! But Hoshi’s getting there! It’s kinda hard because he kinda has a thing for another guy already ya’know…

 

Anyways! New subscribers, welcome!!! And to those who upvoted, I LOVE YOU!! It’s nice to see the support since I’m writing about a less known ship so thanks for showing your love! *kisses*

 

P/S did you guys saw Change Up? HOSHI RAPPED!! LIKE OMG HE RAPPED AND HE LOOKS SO HOT IN THAT GREEN JUMPER! AND HE’S BLONDE AGAIN!