Ch 24: Jeju

Catching the Little Fox

It was Tuesday night but there were a lot of people walking around town, more than usual. If it was a weekend, there would be more couple but tonight, there were groups of friends hanging out to either release their stress, or celebrate the end of their final paper instead.

 

Soonyoung leaned against the wall, hitting his right leg on the pavement over and over again, trying to distract himself from the long wait. It was his fault, he got too excited he came half an hour earlier than their promised time. Unfortunately, since he already spent all most of his savings for his summer trips and had barely enough to survive for the next few days, Soonyoung found himself too embarrassed to even window shop. Which was why he was waiting, bored to death, staring at a few people and looking away when their eyes met. If only Wonwoo would come sooner…

 

Of course. He came right on the agreed time. He looked handsome in that black jeans and long-sleeved shirt, as if he came straight from a magazine. Blushing a bit, Soonyoung decided to greet the taller male with a huge smile because he knew Wonwoo would try to . Giving him an eye smile would result in him being notified of his disappearing eyeballs, which, when said with that low voice of his that lack enthusiasm, sounded really lame. To other people watching, his joke might seem like an insult and Soonyoung had to admit, when they first started to get comfortable with each other, and Wonwoo suddenly tried to comment on his then blond hair, he was also taken aback. But then he realized that expecting face, and that crooked awkward smile, Soonyoung decided that Wonwoo’s cold physical really didn’t match his playful personality. And although lame as he was, Soonyoung found himself interested in the man even more.

 

 

*****

 

Something was not right. Soonyoung thought it was the scent of an omega who just happened to eat at the same place as them but they were walking back to the campus right now, only the two of them and yet, the smell was still around.

 

This was not Wonwoo’s cologne.

 

This was definitely the smell of an omega, too faint it was barely detectable but it was there, just floating around the beta. Wonwoo didn’t comment anything about it though, even when Soonyoung asked about it. Of course, he thought the omega was talking about the cologne, which he apparently borrowed from Jun, and Soonyoung didn’t know how to explain the difference to a beta so he gave up. It still bothered him though.

 

Both the male stopped in front of the entrance and the taller patted on Soonyoung’s head to say goodbye. This was their last date before the summer break. Thinking it was a pity to end the day with the simple gesture, Soonyoung tried to start another conversation.

 

They wouldn’t be seeing each other for about two months so they should spend some more time together tonight, or even tomorrow, the day after, anytime before they each part ways. That, apparently, was only Soonyoung’s one-sided thought because when he tried to ask about summer vacation in hopes that Wonwoo would ask him to go somewhere, the man replied that his month was already filled with activities with his club members, friends and family. And that was it.

 

Soonyoung half-heartedly smiled, trying to match the other’s enthusiasm. ‘Ahh… you’re so busy…’ He looked down at his feet. ‘As usual…’ he added inaudibly.

 

Wonwoo stared at him for a few moments, still standing at his spot. He seemed to detect Soonyoung’s sarcasm, maybe. ‘You?’

 

‘Nothing.’ He replied softly, not bothering to look at the beta, trying to guilt him. He cleared the next week in hope that his ‘lover’ would ask him for a short day trip or something because he asked the man himself and Wonwoo would always said he wasn’t sure of his schedule yet. And Soonyoung remained hopeful, still hopeful because Wonwoo’s plan starts next week.

 

‘That’s a waste. You should go out and have fun!’ Wonwoo ruffled the shorter’s hair and gave him a quick, cute smile. Soonyoung felt something crashed but decided to laugh it off. And with that, the beta hugged him goodbye and left for his own room.

 

 

Soonyoung flopped on his bed. He felt stupid.

 

The whole thing was stupid.

 

What was he hoping? He should have gotten the hint. Wonwoo rejecting his invite last year was understandable since they had only been a couple for less than a month and he already planned his holidays few months prior but when the man again refused to spend the winter break with him, Soonyoung should have known. But since Soonyoung was too desperate for his attention, he tried asking Wonwoo out a few months before the summer break but it was always ‘too early’ and he was still ‘unsure of his schedule’. Well, skip a month later when Soonyoung asked again, it was already ‘a pity’ because he already had a ‘packed holiday plan’.

 

He should have known.

 

That Wonwoo didn’t want to go for a trip with him.

 

Because of that, the thing that all omegas think they have to do.

 

Wonwoo always remind him about that whenever Soonyoung hinted that he wanted more than just holding hands. And that constant reminder always made him feel as if he had no self control. He recognize the good intention, but he just hope for a looser relationship where he can just let go.

 

Soonyoung took off his bag and shirt, and threw it somewhere angrily. Just remembering the amused reaction on Wonwoo’s face when he told Soonyoung to have fun annoyed him so much he felt like ripping something. Trips aside, Soonyoung would always be the one who would empty his schedule so he can be on standby whenever Wonwoo asked him out but it would be really hard to ask him first. The only time he managed to drag the pole somewhere was when he asked the man to go to one of his dance competition, and that was a disaster. But from that experience, he realized the only way he could get at date that he wanted was by constantly giving hints.

 

Come to think of it, Wonwoo never even bothered to ask him to hang out with his friends. He would talk about them and show their pictures, but when they do something fun together, Soonyoung was never invited. Granted, maybe going to underground concerts or hanging out at pubs was too ‘out-there’ for him or what-not, but they were going in a group, what’s one more person? And they were the same age, even the two younger members were invited, why not him? Because he was an omega?

 

Rolling his eyes, suddenly feeling pissed at everything Wonwoo never did, he punched his pillow. This was really frustrating! At least introduce him officially to his friends!! It had already been more than a year!! Why did he even find the need to choose between them when they can all just have fun like regular college students???

’ARGHHHH!!!!’ Soonyoung threw he pillow, accidentally hitting the bookcase filled with anything but books, and they dropped on the floor making a mess. Running towards the chaos, trying to save his important headphones first, he grabbed everything and placed them back on the rack, not caring to arrange them neatly.

 

Sigh. He remembered something. That omega scent around Wonwoo.

 

It was not possible right? The man wouldn’t sleep with another omega right? He was so adamant about not sleeping with each other, he wouldn’t touch other people right? Or he would be such a hypocrite.

 

Soonyoung brought out his laptop from his bag and flipped it open. They learned about scent transferring back at school but he never heard of it happening to a beta. Was it the same? Betas are completely different from them, pheromones do not affect them as much, but is it actually possible?

 

Crossing his fingers, he waited until the page loaded. It was almost summer holidays and most people were already free so the Wi-Fi was starting to get a bit slow.

 

They said it was impossible. Thank god. But if so…. what did he smell?

 

Soonyoung clicked on the Facebook tab when he heard the notification alert. The chat window appeared, and it was none other than Mr. Brightside himself.

 

Hey!

 

When do you wanna go back again?

 

Need to confirm ;)

 

Soonyoung smiled at the wink, wondering what kind because boy, that man can wink. They were just playing around a few days ago, and Seokmin ended up teaching him how to do it but of course, Soonyoung failed miserably. So this wink was either a teasing wink, or him suggesting something.

 

Third week ;)

 

So are we still going to Jeju? ;)

 

Soonyoung opened the tabs he bookmarked on the island. He saved some money this term and could definitely afford going somewhere far. He always wanted to go to Jeju, the place is really beautiful, a bit crowded on the north but quite relaxing on the south. And since Seokmin was there to drive them around, this was really a great opportunity.

 

No, this might be the only chance he have because the alpha said he might be busy starting next year due to his clinical rotation and all.

 

But…

 

It was not as if he HAD to go with Seokmin though…

 

 

Who was he kidding? Who else would go with him if not the silly alpha? Not Wonwoo obviously. The guy would ditch him the moment his friends ask him to go to the jungle. Suddenly starting to get worked up again over what happened earlier, Soonyoung jumped at his vibrating phone. Seokmin just called him.

 

‘Soonyoung-ah, don’t panic.’ What the hell? Now he was starting to panic. ‘The ticket’s kinda expensive.’

 

Soonyoung gasped hearing the numbers. That was more than half of his saving!! How would he afford hotels at this rate? ‘Wait wait, don’t cry yet. Let’s calm down and search for a hotel.’ Seokmin tried to comfort him and Soonyoung cursed. Why would he even cry over something like this? They can just go somewhere else.

 

‘You don’t mind guesthouses right? There’s a lot of cheap guesthouses. Some even have cute cafes we can go for a photoshoot.’ He heard the other laughed and Soonyoung exhaled a sigh of relief. ‘Owh this one have a place to park the car too.’

 

Soonyoung looked at the link the alpha just sent him and stared at it wide-eyed. He looked at the pictures, the interior of the room and the place, and at the price, and back at the pictures. How the hell was the place so cheap? Haunted? Or someone died in the rooms?? ‘What do you think?’

 

‘Why is it so cheap?? This is perfect!!’

 

‘It’s a bit far from the tourist spots…’

 

‘Who cares!!’ Soonyoung clapped his hands in glee and Seokmin could only laugh. ‘Owh…’

 

‘What?’

 

‘What if I get my heat? Do you think… the owner can hear?’ Seokmin snorted and Soonyoung shouted some curses towards the man. Of course he would care! He was the one who was going into heat!

 

‘Sorry. Didn’t think about that.’ Soonyoung heard the fast typing and clicking of the mouse and wondered what the alpha was doing. He was not experienced in this kinds of things so he couldn’t be any help. He just have to tell Seokmin what he wanted to do and when, and the latter would do all the booking for him. He really need to learn how to do it for future reference. ‘There’s around three places which have few rooms like a small hotel, or mini apartment. Is that okay?’ Seokmin asked him with a bemused voice and Soonyoung blushed. How dare he?

 

‘Okay.’ At least their trip was confirmed and Soonyoung could be rest assured.

 

Lying on his stomach, looking at the picture of the island, Soonyoung hummed with the phone still between his ear and shoulder, planning for places to go with the alpha.

 

 

*****

 

Seokmin lowered the passenger seat’s window and laughed as he heard the omega screaming in shock. Suit him for sleeping and leaving him to drive alone in the silent road. For some reason, Soonyoung had been bugging him to go for a random trip and just drive into some unknown road. It seemed the man had stumbled upon a blogger who did that and luckily managed to find some hidden gems. But Jeju wasn’t that big, and the only ‘hidden’ roads are those leading to people’s houses.

 

‘Where are we?’

 

‘I have no idea.’ Seokmin turned to look at the other who did the same. ‘I’m hungry. Let’s go look for food.’

 

‘Okay… where?’

 

‘Let’s ask someone. That ahjumma.’ The alpha pointed at the old lady who looked as if she just got back from a harvest and signaled with his head, encouraging Soonyoung to get out of the car. ‘I drive, you do the rest, right?’

 

‘Urgh… you weren’t like this in Daejeon.’ The omega mumbled, still grumpy from the way he was woken up, sending laughter from the other male. Leaning against the seat, looking around the place, he heard the door opened and entered a happy Soonyoung. ‘She said there’s a beach just around here and there’s a small stall selling fresh seafood!! But we have to walk.’

 

‘Owh really? I need to park then.’

 

‘Ahjumma said we can park at her house.’

 

‘Nice job, Hoshi!’ Soonyoung grinned and closed the door to run back towards the ahjumma, pointing excitedly at her house. Smirking by himself, finding the bubbly dancer adorable, Seokmin slowly stirred the car through the narrow, uneven road. Lately, Seokmin had been calling Soonyoung by that name a lot, and Soonyoung didn’t seem to mind it at all. Except, he didn’t actually respond to it if Seokmin just suddenly call him with it, but beside that, he already accepted the pet-name Seokmin gave him.

 

Walking around in between people’s houses was not a good idea had they been somewhere else but the people in the island were very friendly, they even offered the young couple something from their own lawn for the road. Of course, that should be credited to Seokmin who smiled and greeted everyone he met along the way, asking them the direction since Soonyoung was too self-conscious to do so and kept hiding behind the alpha.

 

‘It’s the beach!!’ Soonyoung ran as fast as he can, leaving Seokmin, who still couldn’t spot the ocean to chase after him. He had to admit, Soonyoung was really fast on his feet. His long legs did not disappoint.

 

‘There’s no one!!! YAAH DOKYEOM! HURRY UP!!’ Before he knew it, Soonyoung had already climbed on top of some rocks, shocking him who thought they were there for food. Because the food was right in front of them, and not wherever Soonyoung was disappearing to. Quickening his pace, Seokmin almost lost himself when Soonyoung managed to slipped on some small pebbles and fell down on his knees, supporting himself with both his palms.

 

‘Stop climbing and let’s go eat!!’

 

‘It’s really beautiful over there!’

 

‘Kwon Soonyoung! Get back down here or I’ll leave without you!’

 

‘Cheh.’ Soonyoung gave him the eye as he slowly made his way down while crouching and Seokmin locked the other’s hand in his own to prevent the man from running away again. Thank god he was the one driving so he could threat the man the behave because if it was the other way around, Soonyoung would probably already ended up slipping into the sea and become fish food. Such a child.

 

*****

 

‘You always do this? Climb up anything that can be climbed?’

 

Soonyoung squinted his eyes at the alpha, detecting something. ‘You’re complaining right now? You just swam because no one else was here.’ He heard the other laugh awkwardly and laid against one of the rocks. After eating the fresh seafood, he continued his adventure and the alpha could only scream behind him as he followed. Soonyoung really had no idea what was on the other side but it looked interesting, and yes, he always climb stuffs back in his hometown. That was one of the ways he entertained himself.

 

‘Alright. Fine. You should climb more. Just don’t fall that much.’ Soonyoung looked at his jeans that was already torn a bit on the left knee from all his stumbles. It was his favourite pair of jeans too.

 

‘Should we wait till sunset?’ He heard a laugh and pushed himself from the rocks. ‘What now?’

 

‘Sunset’s another four hours. It’s dangerous to climb that back when it’s dark.’ Seokmin pointed back towards where they came from. ‘And, this is the east. We can’t see the sunset.’

 

‘Owh. Right.’ Soonyoung got up from his position and patted his jeans to get rid of the sands. Pulling Seokmin who was trying to close his eyes, he did the same to the other’s pants. ‘We need to go back then. Let’s climb back up.’

 

‘Soonyoung-ah.’ he felt a pull and suddenly, his face was inches away from the slightly taller male. Seokmin was staring back at him, his dark brown orbs pulling him in. This was… bad. His heart was thumping violently and his throat was getting so dry he had to gulp. Was Seokmin going for a kiss? Here?

 

No. They can’t kiss here. Because he was not in heat and they do not kiss when he was not in heat. Kissing Seokmin might lead to other stuff and they were alone right now so the possibility of them doing it here was very high. They shouldn’t kiss.

 

But Seokmin was not doing anything. Why wasn’t he doing anything? He didn’t know what he was planning because he just closed his eyes. Really. Why did he closed his eyes? Oh no, he felt Seokmin’s breath on him. He was going in. Not yet. Not yet. Why was he taking his time? Should Soonyoung just lean in? A bit? Yes he should. He should get this over with.

 

‘Oww!’ Soonyoung felt his head hitting something hard and opened his eyes to Seokmin holding the right-side of his head. He just headbutted the alpha who was turning his face away. ‘Why did you do that?’

 

‘I thought you were trying to… kiss…’

 

‘Was that self-defence? Ommo, you’re so scary. I should get away from you.’ And with that Seokmin ran towards the rocks, climbing as fast as he could which provoke the competitive nature of the omega who tried pulling the former back so he can climb higher.

 

*****

 

They got really burnt today and decided to get back early after dinner. Although Soonyoung was used to seeing the tanned colour on the alpha, the man never saw Soonyoung skin in any colour besides white so he couldn’t help but tease the omega for a while, resulting in the smaller of the two to buy some mask sheets from a souvenir shop. Hence why Soonyoung was now carefully putting the snail mask on his face, patting the rest of the liquid on his neck and hands as instructed.

 

Jumping on the bed in his bath robe, Soonyoung took out his phone. Wonwoo should already be back in his hometown by now and he would usually update Soonyoung about his trips but there was still no message from the beta. The last one was a week ago. Soonyoung sent him one a few days ago but there was no reply.

 

Could he be busy? He might not realize there were any message since his friends were busy spamming him or something. Soonyoung tried sending him another message, telling him about his discovery today and waited. Wonwoo should be interested in hearing that.

 

He checked back right before he went to sleep but there was still no answer.

 

*****

 

‘Something happened?’ Seokmin looked at the omega who was busy stuffing his face with the instant ramen. He hadn’t even finish swallowing and yet he continued to put more, resulting in his cheeks to swell like a hamster. Only then did he start to munch while breathing out the steam from the hot food. ‘You’ve been quiet…’

 

‘Cus I’m eating.’

 

‘Smart pants. You know that’s not it.’ Seokmin opened a bottled water to pass at the omega who was chocking. The man had been continuously checking on his phone since the last two days, and every time he did, Seokmin could see the drop in his mood. Something happened and Seokmin wanted to know what. ‘Come on, we’re in Jeju. We’re supposed to have fun. You need to tell me if anything's bothering you so you’ll feel better.’

 

Soonyoung kept his silence and continued eating, munching slowly so he can drag the time. Seokmin was the one who offered, and he wanted to talk to someone about it but speaking about Wonwoo to the alpha just seemed, inappropriate.

 

‘Your grandpa? The nosy ahjummas?’ Seokmin continued his attacks while observing Soonyoung’s face. ‘Your boyfriend?’ He noticed the few moments of shock, ‘Owh.’

 

So it was the guy again. The undeserving guy. Seokmin tried to hide his disappointed face with a smile but he doubt the omega missed it. Both of them knew why Soonyoung didn’t want to talk, but since it was already out, now Seokmin was even more curious as to what the man did. He knew about the times the man ditched Soonyoung for his friends, and he ran away from having to take care of the omega during his heat; that was old news. That was exactly the reason why Seokmin could have this vacation in the first place.

 

Seokmin couldn’t keep his eyes of the omega who was trying hard to ignore his stare. The longer he had to wait, the more he wanted to curse the man out loud. And himself for acting so slow. If he had confessed first, Soonyoung wouldn’t be caught in this whole situation in the first place. Because he was confident that the man wouldn’t even get the chance to be by Soonyoung’s side like he was if the omega was his instead of the beta’s.

 

‘Nothing. I just couldn’t sleep well last night.’ Soonyoung looked around them - they were outside a convenient store eating instant ramen, his was all gone and Seokmin’s half. There were some older men smoking while drinking beers. This was not the place for a heart-to-heart talk.

 

‘Want beer then?’

 

‘Nah. It’s nothing, really.’ Feeling awkward, Soonyoung took out the map of Jeju he had in his bag. ‘By the way, tomorrow’s gonna rain. Let’s go here. Ripley’s Museum, Teddy Bear Museum and here!! Play Kpop!!’

 

Seokmin nodded in defeat. He really thought he finally had the chance to badmouth the stupid beta.

 

*****

 

He still couldn’t get his mind off of it. He wanted to know what was going on between the two it was eating him alive. He wanted to know the status of their relationship right now, whether he was still lower than the guy and at the same level. Because he needed to strategize.

 

If they were fighting, he needed to be a good listener and provoke Soonyoung.

 

If they were on the verge of breaking up, he needed to be a good listener and provoke Soonyoung a bit more.

 

If they already broken up, he needed to be a good listener and provoke-

 

Well, in the end all his strategy was the same. He really had no idea how to do this strategizing and gameplanning thing. He just wanted to know where he stands right now.

 

Should he ask Bam Bam for help?

 

Nope. Bad idea. Nope. Nope.

 

Should he confess again? When? They were sharing a room so if things got weird, it would be awkward so no.

 

‘Dokyeom! Come here!’ Pulling the omega who kept running around the museum, Seokmin suddenly sensed something. And Soonyoung felt something at his bottom too. ‘Dokyeom, I-’

 

‘Okay. Let’s go back.’

 

Soonyoung would most likely tell him now if he asked since the omega always get extra emotional during heats. But Seokmin didn’t want to take the chance of the man breaking down if it was that bad. The only good thing about Soonyoung’s heat? The omega wouldn’t think about anyone but him, even that bastard if Seokmin doesn’t leave his side. And that was he was planning to do.

 

Loving the omega all week.

 

 

To be continued…

 

Uh-oh. Soonwoo is not good right now~ Now’s Dk’s chance to get out of the friend-zone XD

 

Sorry it took me a while to update guys! Been really busy!! I even managed to lock myself out of my house cus I lost my keys, and the management office was in another prefecture so I had to stay in a hotel for a night. And it was during a storm and I actually didn’t have that much money on me yet I accidentally booked a room for two. It was finally Friday and I got careless out of excitement ^^;;

Anyways, just wanted to tell you guys what happened this week cus I feel so stupid. LOL.

 

As always, thanks for commenting and supporting the fic guys!!! There’s actually a storyline but it’s not that dramatic so it just feel a bit slow! I love you readers so much!!!