Ch 23: Concerned

Catching the Little Fox

Soonyoung jumped on his bed, fresh out of shower. He just got back from his job and it was really tiring. Every single day he had to train new workers, mostly freshmen. Some were better than others, some were not so much. But few of them, were troublesome. Someone already broke two glasses on her first day, another spilled a customer’s drink, thankfully right after he stepped away from the counter. He wondered if he was that clumsy when he first joined the café. That was a year ago, and now he could make the sandwiches and train new recruits… he had grown so much.

 

He felt really accomplished. This calls for an update on Facebook.

 

Finding a good enough picture on his phone, he took off the cover, brought out the battery and the microSD card. The pictures were not really sharp so he edited them a bit and finally uploaded it with a simple caption. And in less than a minute later, Wonwoo liked it.

 

Feeling a bit giddy, he stalked the beta. Of course they just met each other yesterday but not today. Since Wonwoo likes to update his page, though without any photos, it was the fastest way to know what he had been doing.

 

Recently he felt as if their relationship improved a lot. After what happened back at the ski trip, he realized he had been spending most of his time chatting and calling Seokmin instead of his own lover, who he only messaged once in a while and go on dates when they were both free. He didn’t want to give Seokmin false hope and play with him, just like what the Thai man implied, so he reduced their interactions bit-by-bit, and use that time to connect with his own lover instead. And that made his then muddled feelings clearer. He was no longer bound in a dilemma.

 

Everything was going great.

 

Speaking of Seokmin, he was kind of curious of what he had been up to.

 

He hadn’t update his page, nor had he been online. They haven’t spent time with each other after the trip. His following heat was spent alone at home and after the break ended, he decided it was best not to meet. They sometimes chat - the last two weeks ago, and Seokmin said he was busy planning for the orientation as one of the coordinators. And Soonyoung decided not to bother him, knowing how occupied the other was. Even the committee members in the omega dorms bustled every day they only ever hang out with one another.

 

‘Urghh…’ Just thinking about next week drained his energy. Yes, he would be out for his part time every day until the new semester starts but orientations meant excited noise until late at night. And though their rooms were almost sound-proof, he still didn’t like the curious stares and giggles the freshmen will give each time they stumble upon something new.

 

He was just like that.

 

Except, he was more of a silent newbie. His other friends, not so much. Some of them got themselves in trouble because they broke the rules due to overexcitement. Some had serious case of culture shock, so much that they sneaked into the alpha/beta dorms to catch those seniors they found cute. The more obedient ones would stay in their groups, playing silly games, screaming stupid chants, running around finding random stuffs until late at night, only to be woken up early in the morning.

 

Remembering that hectic week, he was grateful he didn’t volunteer.

 

Closing Seokmin’s un-updated profile, he noticed the small green circle next to Wonwoo’s name. The beta was volunteering for the week as well, courtesy of his overexcited best friend. Apparently Wonwoo only learnt of his involvement when they created a group chat for the committee members and thankfully, Jun volunteered both of them for the party planning. Inquiring about the status of their party, Wonwoo replied, very unenthusiastically that he was going to choose Hip Hop and Ballads for their list of songs.

 

Wow.

 

Must be a very boring night.

Good. What I’m aiming for.

 

Then we can wrap things up early. ;P

 

Soonyoung laughed at that simple reply. He wondered if last year’s committee was as dispassionate as Wonwoo. Because last year was also a bit dull hence his eager adventure to the medical department’s party. And that night….

 

He messed up his hair roughly and shook his head. Stupid.

 

Stop thinking about it.

 

*****

 

Soonyoung stopped at a café near the bookstore for a quick drink. He thought he saw Seokmin among the people guiding the first years around campus. They stopped inside the park for some explanation.

 

He was not mistaken. Seokmin had his back against him, nodding his head at someone who was talking to him. Bringing his Americano together to at least say hi to the other, Soonyoung almost frowned when he noticed the quick glance Seokmin gave him before turning his head around.

 

Weird.

 

*****

 

The new semester starts in a few days so Soonyoung decided to start jogging to build his stamina. He could only do it at night because he had his part-time job from morning until the evening which was why he was wearing his thicker sweat suit. Today was quieter than usual, Soonyoung figured it was the only one night the freshmen were allowed to rest before continuing with their usual compact schedule for the next two days. But as he expected, most of them decided to hang out at the park, disturbing his usual route.

 

Feeling a bit energetic and adventurous, Soonyoung decided to take route longer than normal. He enjoyed the unfamiliar view, the bricks decorating the flower patches instead of the rounded stones at his part of the campus. He never ventured this far alone at night, mostly because he was scared, but a part of him just didn’t want to stumble upon Seokmin. Since they were already in good terms and there was no reason for him to intensely avoid the other, he should do this often. This was a good change of air. Especially the lack of people in the park between the dorms. There were close to zero. It was perfect for a little extra stretching.

 

Owh. He was not alone. Seokmin was nearby, he could smell the man.

 

Looking around, not even bothering to run away, Soonyoung stopped his track. There, lying on the park bench, Lee Seokmin was staring into the sky. Or space. Humming some song, being calm. Calmer than usual. He looked lifeless, but maybe that was because he was lying down with his hands dangling.

 

Soonyoung didn’t know if he likes this. Seokmin was probably tired too, just like the freshmen, but he never saw the alpha this quiet. Of course everyone needs their alone time away from people but…

 

…Seokmin seemed down. He recognized that look because that was him the few years he spent isolated and friendless back in his hometown. That was him before he got into this university and met his lover and club members. That was him the nights when Wonwoo would be busy with his friends, and he was alone in his room wondering what to do. Before he was comfortable enough to talk to Seokmin every day.

 

Should he say something? What if Seokmin actually wanted to be alone?

 

There was a sigh. Seokmin never sighed. At least, not this loud.

 

‘Soonyoung-ah.’ The omega noticed the other looking back at him, already in a sitting position with his hair messy.

 

‘Hi. I was just jogging…’ This was awkward. It had been almost a month since they talk to each other using their voices. What should he say? What should he say so he wouldn’t give Seokmin any false hope?

 

‘Owh really? I’m just going back. Fighting.’ Seokmin showed him the cliché gesture with a weak smile and started his way back to his room. Not even sparing Soonyoung another look.

 

Soonyoung stared, feeling uneasy. Something was definitely wrong.

 

*****

 

Today was finally the last day of orientation and yet, there was still no update from the alpha. He was worried. Yes, he was the one who stopped trying to hanging out with the other and yes, Seokmin would act like this if he actually got the message but if he wanted to let Seokmin feel miserable, he would have turn the man down upfront. No, he wanted to give the alpha space to move on. Time to connect with other people without feeling the despair of rejection. He wanted to remain friends.

 

He didn’t want to hurt Seokmin.

 

Because he still value his life. Bam Bam was scary.

 

Grabbing his phone, he decided it was best if he message the other first.

 

You’re going to the party tonight?

 

He had no idea how he would drag the conversation but that was never a problem when chatting with Seokmin. He would manage.

 

It had been almost half an hour and there was still no reply. Was he already at the party, drinking his exhaustion away? And here Soonyoung sat, concerned about the other when he was possibly dancing along with his idiot best friend, making moves on new omegas. Maybe even sleeping with them…

 

No. Seokmin was not that type. That idiot, maybe.

 

Tumbling around on his bed, feeling restless, Soonyoung got up and took his laptop. He should spend tonight watching some good dancers. He just discovered this one cool choreographer from Los Angeles and was excited to learn his moves.

 

Few minutes passed before his phone buzzed, indicating an incoming message. It was from none other than the alpha.

 

No… feel like sleeping in. – Dokyeom :D

 

Okay. That reply was definitely worrisome. Why would he sleep in when it was just half past eight? No matter how tired he was, this was obviously too early. And he did recall seeing his seniors in the party last year. Seokmin shouldn’t feel that tired.

 

Was there actually something wrong with him? Should Soonyoung try calling him and ask?

 

No. Seokmin would brush him off. Or not answer and pretend to be asleep. Because Soonyoung would do that when he was socially drained.

 

Grabbing his jacket and a few other stuff to put into his simple bag, Soonyoung walked out of his room.

 

*****

 

He felt stupid right now. Stupid because he was too shocked and scared by Bam Bam’s threat that he chose to ignore Seokmin. He shouldn’t have done that.

 

Of course both of them are in a weird relationship but above all else, Seokmin was a very good friend. He was someone Soonyoung can tell everything and would be confident enough that the other would not judge. He was the only one. And Soonyoung should be that person for him. Especially now.

 

Seokmin always listen to him. Now it was his turn to return the favour.

 

Had he been acting normal with the other, he would have noticed this change long before. Instead, he chose to push the man away because of his own dilemma and Seokmin had to endure whatever he was experiencing alone. He felt like a really bad friend.

 

*****

 

If he felt stupid back then, Soonyoung felt brainless right now.

 

He just stopped in front of the really noisy dormitory. Everyone was dancing, some were already making out, not minding the keen eyes around them, and Soonyoung could only stared at the stairs.

 

What the hell was he doing here?

 

He didn’t even remember Seokmin’s room number. What was he expecting??

 

Inhaling deeply, nodding to reassure himself, he made his way up the main stairs. He would figure out the rest later. He remembered taking a left turn while running so that was where he should be heading. Owh, and the potted plant. He remembered hitting this thing when he slipped. So it should either be this floor, or the few floors above.

 

 

What was he thinking? There were five to six more floors. He must be out of his mind.

 

Closing his eyes to clear his mind, he tried to recall that morning he was here. Seokmin’s room was on the left hand side, and was not the ones at the end so that narrowed it down.

 

To more than 50 rooms.

 

Crouching down, Soonyoung held both sides of his temple. Seriously, what was he doing here? Seokmin could have moved to another room for all he knew. And how the hell should he knew which one was the alpha’s? Open each and every door? What if he pushed the doors and stumbled upon something he shouldn’t? It was the last day of orientation after all, everyone here was aiming for a partner.

 

What if… he opened a door and the owner thought he was one of those people and took advantage of him? Owh god. That would be horrible.

 

That stupid thought just made him more nervous being around so many unknown alphas. And the pheromones. This was too frightening for him.

 

Looking around and moving as quickly as he could without trying to open any doors, he moved to another floor and did the same. He climbed another flight of stairs before halting his steps. Soonyoung stared at a familiar looking poster stuck in front of the room opposite him. He remembered that poster! He saw it when he ran away that morning, right after he got out of Seokmin’s room. So… the alpha’s room should be one of the three in front of him.

 

Feeling a bit confident, he started from the very left. The door was locked so he tried knocking. There was no reply. He should knock again.

 

No reply. Was Seokmin really sleeping? Sitting down on the floor, Soonyoung tried peeking from underneath the door. The room was dark.

 

Owh . Why the hell did he peep? He could see the light from other rooms even without getting on his knees. He should move on to the other room.

 

He tried knocking. Three times. There was no answer but the lights were on. Should he tried peeking in? Just to make sure there was some movement when he knocked so he can really be convinced that the owner was out.

 

Nobody was around anyway. Nobody would think he was being weird.

 

Okay. He should peek. ‘Hoshi? What are you doing?’

 

Soonyoung stared up at the confused alpha, getting on his feet to pretend he didn’t just do something suspicious. Seokmin didn’t see anything. ‘I uh… It’s orientation party!’

 

‘Owh. You joined this year’s too?’

 

‘No! Haha of course not. I uh… SURPRISE!’ please just invite me in because I’m not sure what I’m doing either, he wanted to add. Unfortunately, the alpha only gave him a weird look and was expecting some explanation. Feeling uneasy being in the hall, exposed to all the different dominating scents, Soonyoung entered the other’s room uninvited and closed the door, looking around curiously. ‘What are you doing?’

 

‘Nothing… just laying around…’

 

Soonyoung glanced at the messy bed.

 

That was where they did it for the first time. Blushing at the sudden thought, he turned his whole body around and went to the small mini kitchen to pour himself a glass of water, straight from the pipe. Right before he managed to take a sip though, the other stopped him and brought out a bottled water for him to drink instead. Clearing his throat from the chain of embarrassments, Soonyoung sat on the bed. ‘Why are you here if not for the party?’

 

‘I’m just wondering what you were doing and remembered it was the last day of orientation.’

 

‘And you came to check on me?’ Seokmin tilted his head with a pretty smile. There was an awkward silence because Soonyoung refused to reply and kept chugging the bottled water, his face was starting to sweat. Laughing at the action, Seokmin asked, ‘Wanna hang out here tonight?’

 

Soonyoung took some moments to consider that suggestion. He wanted to hang out, but not all night. What if Bam Bam barge in suddenly tomorrow and misunderstand them, and proceed to kill him?

 

But it had been a long time so… ‘Lock your doors so Bam Bam won’t barge in.’

 

Smiling weakly, Seokmin replied, ‘He’s won’t… he’s not here anymore…’

 

Soonyoung stared at the alpha, wide –eyed. Was that what had been bothering the man? His friend was gone? ‘Owh god… Is he…’

 

‘No! Silly. He’s not dead!’ The man laughed, hitting his own stomach and the bed. ‘Well, maybe he is if he gets killed by his mom.’

 

Soonyoung didn’t know how to react to that. Is Bam Bam’s mother as scary as his grandfather? Because if then, the young alpha might actually be dead and that would be terrible but Seokmin was laughing so…

 

‘You wanna talk?’ Seokmin looked up to the omega who had this funny-looking face of concern all over him. Was he mocking him or was he truly concern? Or was that some kind of new emotion he couldn’t read? ‘I don’t really know how to listen because I… Anyway. I-uhh… can shut up.’

 

Seokmin burst out laughing at that statement. Soonyoung just said he didn’t know how to listen. It made him wonder if all this time the omega had been quiet, his mind was actually elsewhere. His felt a knock on his head and focused back at the slightly smaller male. Soonyoung was looking through his bag and took out something, ‘I brought a DVD.’

 

‘Owh?’ He smiled looking at the cover. The fact that Soonyoung came fully prepared made him really happy. The story was not his cup-of-tea, an action movie. He prefers comedy and romance but beggars can’t be choosers. Soonyoung watching it with him was enough.

 

‘I bought it back home but my grandpa didn’t like this kind of movies. His face was really scary.’ Noticing the cute light frown, Seokmin brought put his laptop on his chair and placed the chair in front of the bed. While setting up the movie, he mentioned, ‘I thought you said you wanted to listen to me.’

 

‘Owh. You wanna talk now?’

 

‘No... I want to watch this movie with you.’ Laying on his stomach, Seokmin pulled a pillow and focused on the screen. Beside him, Soonyoung did the same.

 

They did talked in the end, after the movie ended and the excited Soonyoung calmed down.

 

Seokmin didn’t know he was that affected by the loss of his crazy irrelevant friend but having a listening ear, albeit the other slipping in and out of conscious, somehow lessen the burden he didn’t realize he carried.

 

He should treat Soonyoung with his favourite food later.

 

 

To be continued…

 

I finally updated!! YASS! Hoshi wanted to let DK go but he couldn’t cus DK’s already somewhere in that cute heart of his :3 OHOHOHOO!!

 

Btw, BOOSEOKSOON FINALLY DEBUTED!! AND DK IN THAT VEST AND SUIT… OMG JUST KILL ME! The rise of Boonon and Hoshi’s forehead!! FTW!!! Everyone look so good! Boo looks so cute I can’t! Hoshi’s forehead is so smooth and shiny… he needs to hide that thing.

 

Anyway, sorry for the updates recently… I just moved to a new city and was busier than I thought. My room is currently filled with boxes and I only have a kitchen and a bed right now. Just got the internet yesterday and got straight to writing! Will start working next Monday and I’m nervous. FIGHTING!

 

Next update might take a while, depending on how busy I get. I can’t promise once a week but hopefully it won’t be once a month.

 

Thanks for your support and comments guys!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!