Ch 31: Unsettling Truth

Catching the Little Fox

Today too, he woke up earlier than he should and spent the first hour staring at the white ceiling. He could still taste the bitterness in his mouth. Not only that, his stomach was still upset and his throat was still aching to guide whatever was left inside out.

 

Sitting up to press on his tummy and chest, Soonyoung brought his knees up and rested his head on them, hugging himself tightly. Just the thought of going out of his room today and risk meeting Wonwoo stressed him so much he scratched his head and hit it lightly to distract himself, maybe even try to knock himself out. His whole body reacted with disgust, just thinking about the man being a fellow omega.

 

He spent last night alternating between feeling grateful that they never did anything intimate with each other, and repulsed that he wanted to do it all those time, even to the point of dropping hints albeit Wonwoo’s clear request. They might never have done anything ual with each other, but they kissed a few times and he remembered always being left hoping for more.

 

. Now he wanted to vomit again.

 

 

Closing the curtain to avoid having to look at the new students outside, Soonyoung got back on his bed and took out his phone.

 

Hoshi-yah! You’re up early!’ The alpha’s cheery voice greeted him, erasing the worries he had since he woke up. He really wanted to see Seokmin right now but he knew the man had classes until evening today, and unlike Soonyoung who plans to skip his since it would only be the introduction, Seokmin do not like skipping. Well, he also didn’t like playing hookey but today was different.

 

Today, just thinking about opening the door affected his body greatly.

 

Enjoying Seokmin’s funny stories he read last night, Soonyoung invited him for dinner. He suggested someplace near the medic’s department, maybe even further until dentistry despite Seokmin offering to come by. Soonyoung just wanted to see his lover, and get away from here.

 

*****

 

‘Dokyeom-ah… so you think it’s possible for a beta to turn into an alpha at our age?’ Soonyoung leaned against the backrest of the bench they were sitting after dinner. The park was quiet today as the new students were too tired to hang out outside like yesterday. Turning his head to look at the alpha beside him who had his sight locked towards the lake, Soonyoung shifted closer so they would touch each other.

 

‘No one I know of... But there was something about it in the textbook. Rare case?’

 

‘Owh…’ So it was possible.

 

‘Why?’

 

‘It’s nothing. Just wondering.’ Soonyoung started to feel really depressed right now. He wasn’t mad, nor sad, he just felt like everything was meaningless. He felt as if he was cheated, his feelings being toyed with and now he was thrown away. And all that was left was regret. He didn’t have the energy to do anything anymore. Like the life had just been out of him.

 

This was suffocating. He wanted to feel something. Anything. Anger, sadness, hatred, disgust, something that makes his heart beat or drives him crazy. Anything. ‘What bout giving birth 8 month pregnant?’

 

‘It happens. Premature babies. Not that rare.’ Seokmin tangled their hand together as he moved around his seat. Soonyoung’s unenthusiastic answer puzzled him so he inquired, ‘Is this why you called me? This is so random. It’s like a pop quiz.’ He laughed softly, ‘Or did you just want to see me?’

 

‘I wanted to see your face.’ Soonyoung forced a smile which earned him a bright one from Seokmin. There was silence as the former came up with more questions in his head, trying to make sense of things, ‘What about 5-6 months?’

 

‘That’s too early. There’ll be lots of complications.’ the man replied shortly, now getting more worried about the omega who lost his shine tonight. ‘Are you okay? You look pale.’

 

‘I’m just tired. Wanted to see you.’ Soonyoung brushed it off. He didn’t want to be sent back home just yet. He was not ready. Still not moving his face from staring at the calm lake, he felt the grip on his hand tightened as Seokmin’s cheek hit his forehead, telling him that the latter wanted to look at his face. ‘Hoshi, could it be…? Are you-?’

 

‘What?’

 

‘Pre-pregna-’

 

‘No! No! It’s not like that…’ Soonyoung could feel his face starting to red as he imagined what Seokmin had just suggested. Though he could see the relief look on the man’s face, the sudden question made him want to punch that handsome face so he could distract himself from this embarrassing feeling. He could see Seokmin was trying to crack a joke, or maybe even ask a follow-up question so before he could, Soonyoung added, ‘Asking for a friend.’

 

‘He or she pregnant?’

 

‘I dunno.’ He really didn’t. And now he was back to being spiritless as his momentary excitement was taken away by that simple question. Now, Wonwoo was back, invading his mind. He was really beginning to despise the man, but the fact was, he couldn’t let go of him. He wanted to so badly, whats more with the other being an omega, but try as he might, he couldn’t.

 

Resting his head back onto Seokmin’s shoulder, who was now humming some songs, Soonyoung tried to do some maths to solve this mystery. If Wonwoo presented the night they were together, or the last time they messaged each other, and considering his first heat would be earliest three months later, that only left him four months. Four months to get impregnated by his mate or whatever. So he couldn’t have given birth which means that the rumours were wrong.

 

But his mate…? Did he really bonded with someone? Whom he just met? Because he never heard of anyone else when they were together. Wonwoo always assured him he was the only one. And yet, bonded.

 

‘Soonyoung? I think you need to rest. Come on, I’ll send you back.’ The gentle voice broke him from his disturbing thoughts. Soonyoung glanced up towards the alpha, feeling the air being extra cold on some part of his cheeks. Bringing his hand up, he realized he was crying. ‘Owh. Haha. Why am I like this?’

 

Seokmin had a deep frown on his face. ‘You wanna talk?’

 

‘I dunno why I’m acting like this.’ He tried to laugh it off again, wiping the tears that was now flowing more. He didn’t know how to stop it. He wasn’t feeling sad or anything particular. Speechless with his own situation, he looked up to his partner. ‘Seokmin?’

 

‘Yeah?’

 

‘Can you do that thing?’ As he requested, he felt the alpha’s pheromones intensified and enveloped him in its’ warmth, calming his restless mind. He loves this scent. This man. Pulling Seokmin into a really tight hug, Soonyoung hid his face right on the crook of his neck. ‘Can I stay with you tonight? Please?’

 

‘You wanna camp outside?’ Seokmin jokingly asked but Soonyoung nodded anyway. It was a stupid suggestion, but he wanted to be with his alpha so bad he was willing to do so.

 

*****

 

It was finally Friday and he was feeling the best he ever felt since he got here. Soonyoung brought out a plastic from his bag and laid the DVDs on the floor. He knew Seokmin likes romantic comedy since he is a cheesy alpha but Soonyoung didn’t, so now, he was considering which movie to watch tonight. He already decided his movie, but for Seokmin’s, he must also take into consideration what kind of scene would be played because Seokmin will definitely try to copy it.

 

This was really hard. This is a life and death situation.

 

Opening his laptop, Soonyoung searched for the trailer of each movies. All three were just, okay. Funny, but not as exciting. Still, he had to make a decision.

 

Okay. He should let luck decide. Closing his eyes, Soonyoung shuffled the DVDs around, prayed and took one. He opened an eye to look at the cover and nodded in satisfaction. Mamma Mia, not bad. At least there will be songs and dances so it wouldn’t be too boring.

 

Soonyoung looked at the clock, took note of the time and put his movies into a bag which contains his toothbrush and a new set of clothes. The party would start in an hour so that means he would have to depart in two when enough people are gathered if he didn’t want to gain attention to himself as he made his way towards Seokmin’s room. Also, he wouldn’t want Jihoon to be able to spot him if that small alpha decided to stalk him again this year.

 

 

After showering, Soonyoung looked at the time again. He still had an hour…

 

…But he could just go there anyway, and hang around, maybe, at the park nearby? Since it’s the medic’s party, it wouldn’t take that long for people to arrive right? Content with his thoughts, Soonyoung pulled his bag over his shoulder and made his way down towards the first floor.

 

The hall was really quiet, as expected from the last day of orientation. Everyone had already gone to the parties. Now every sound echoed, even just a little. He could hear his foot steps doubling in its’ normal sound because there were no other sound to dilute it. It was so weird.

 

‘I’ll be going now. Let me know if you need anything.’ That voice sounded familiar. Looking at the source, Soonyoung found himself bummed out. It was Jeonghan.

 

Pretending not to notice, Soonyoung’s steps automatically stopped as he heard the older’s door room closed tight. The room he was in has opened, just a bit so out of curiousity, Soonyoung tried peeking.

 

Owh hell no.

 

Wonwoo.

 

The man had his back facing him but Soonyoung recognize that broad shoulders and tiny waist anywhere. He just never seen him shirtless before.

 

God he was so skinny, he was almost just bones. What happened? He didn’t remember Wonwoo being this frail-looking before…

 

…Must be the stress from having to run away from his mate. Serves him right.

 

Soonyoung realized Wonwoo still hadn’t noticed his presence. Taking this chance to get a real long look at the man’s face before causing havoc, Soonyoung noted the disgusted expression the man bore as he looked at his scar. The bonding scar. God, that was a deep scar. He never seen one that hideous, though, it was disappearing. Looking back at the man’s face, he swore he saw tears in those eyes.

 

Dammit. He shouldn’t let that affect him. Now that he had this opportunity, Soonyoung decided he should use it to end their relationship, his suffering, once and for all. And while doing so, tell Wonwoo how ed up he is, what a bastard he is, and that he is a hypocrite. Ending things dramatically sounded really tempting.

 

He should do it.

 

‘Wonwoo…?’ He tried calling out. He didn’t know how else he should do it. Sure he was frustrated, but he could never just start a conversation by screaming and throwing fists. Whats more considering their relationship before it fell apart, Wonwoo never raised his voice even once except for when they were joking around. He should at least honour that memory.

 

He was really not suited for dramas.

 

‘Wonwoo you-’ are really an omega, he wanted to add but the words were stuck in his throat. He had hoped that everything was in his mind, despite all the stories, but being here, staring right at the man with his scent, the exact scent he smelled that night around them, it was clear that this was the new reality. Wonwoo is an omega.

 

And he was mated. He chose another alpha over him.

 

‘I…’ Finally he heard the man’s voice. Wonwoo couldn’t say anything either. He must be feeling guilty too. Well, he should.

 

‘Owh.’ Not wanting to hear an apology Soonyoung decided he should give the man a piece of his mind and just end this. Just like he had planned. Now that it was clear that there was nothing left for him to hold onto, he should end this.

 

Before he could say anything, he saw Wonwoo trying to run away from him, heading towards the bathroom. There was no way he would let the bastard run away from him. He needed to listen to what he made him go through this past few months. Catching Wonwoo, Soonyoung locked him into a tight hug, ‘I thought you hated me. I thought I did something wrong.’

 

‘I’m sorry… I couldn’t…’

 

Ignoring the other’s attempt to beg for his forgiveness, Soonyoung continued, ‘I saw you around but I thought I was wrong. That my mind was playing tricks on me.’

 

‘Stop. Soonyoung. I can’t… we can’t…’

 

He didn’t know what it was but he could hear something else in Wonwoo’s voice. He thought it was remorse, but he also sensed sadness? Like a really deep kind of sadness. He remembered one of the juniors talking about ‘dark aura’ around Wonwoo a few days ago. Maybe this was it. It felt dark. As dark as his mother after they ran away.

 

Losing all his motivation to scream his thoughts to the male in his hands, Soonyoung sighed inwardly. Maybe he should just let him be. He was afraid that if he said anything wrong, Wonwoo might do something unpredictable.

 

They could still end things without fighting. Sure he was still pissed, but if anything happened because of him, he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself. And he wouldn’t be able to move on anyway. Forcing himself, he uttered ‘You found someone else… I’m glad…’

 

Why was his voice shaking as he said that? Was he crying? Owh god. This was funny.

 

‘No… This is…’

 

Realizing he still had his arms around Wonwoo, Soonyoung quickly tried to let go. ‘I’m sorry I shouldn’t do this… You’re already someone’s…’ Soonyoung tried to let go, but he couldn’t pull himself away. His hands were shaking and they were numb. His tears were also falling which was weird. He wasn’t feeling sad or anything. This was really weird, how his body was acting this past few days.

 

‘This was not mutual…’

 

Wait what? Did he heard right?

 

He realized he just voiced that out loudly when he heard Wonwoo shakily tried to repeat himself. ‘F-forced…’

 

Soonyoung froze.

 

Forced? Forced mating? Which means he was rap-

 

Owh god.

 

Feeling the vibrating figure in front of him, Soonyoung was finally able to loosen his grip on Wonwoo’s waist. He felt really bad right now. He didn’t know what to say. He could feel how broken the man was.

 

?

 

He remembered how scared he felt when he almost went through it himself, twice - Yuri and Bam Bam. It never actually happened, luckily for him, but the fear was real. And now, to hear the man he recently found himself hating, to have actually been through that nightmare, Soonyoung went speechless.

 

This was too much for him to accept.

 

‘Let me go… please…’ Soonyoung felt a hand on his own and realized he still had his hand on Wonwoo’s waist, holding on to his sides. Pulling his hands away in disgust, Soonyoung backed away a few steps. ‘Leave me alone…’

 

‘I- I didn’t kno-… I thou-… Wonwo-’ To see Wonwoo this broken, he felt sorry for hating him. He felt sorry for thinking the worst about him when all this time, he had been enduring that pain, probably alone.

 

‘Please…’ Not wanting to hear the man beg for his leave, Soonyoung turned around and left.

 

He didn’t know where he was heading right now, he just wanted to run away. Get as far as he can from that man.

 

Being there, in the same room with him suffocated him. He felt really heavy.

 

He recognized that feeling. That helpless feeling that he never wanted to feel again. That feeling, he left in his old house when he was finally rescued from his mother and sister.

 

He never wanted to get caught in that mess ever again.

 

Never again.

 

 

To be continued…

 

God, the chapter got too long I had to divide it into two parts ^^;; It’s really depressing right? Sorry for that T__T

 

I promise we’ll have more of our happy vitamin in the next chapter!! Sorry you had to go through this one… lol.

 

Finally we know what actually happened! Hoshi and DK was never caught cheating XD Yay(?) I don’t really know if that’s good or bad. Haha! But those two are really making real progress aren’t they :3

 

Do tell me your thoughts on this chapter!! For those who also read Claimed, what do you think about Hoshi’s side of the story? Let me know!!

 

As always, thank you for always supporting and loving this fic!!! I love you guys so muchh!! <3<3