Ch 5: The Jumper

Catching the Little Fox

 

Soonyoung looked around the crowded bar from behind the small stage, hoping to find the guy in unique round glasses but to no avail. Sighing, he flipped his phone, checking the last message from the guy he has yet to know the name of. All he knew was the phone number saved into his phonebook, and a cute awkward selfie of himself. And Bag-of-Luck saved as the name.

 

Hey, we’ll perform tonight at Shining Diamond! Pls come if u have time ;) I’ll buy u a drink as a thank u >.< - Soonyoung

 

He looked over again, now standing beside the small platform hoping to catch a clear view. Disappointed, he looked down at his phone one more time, clicking the inbox to read the reply.

 

Buy me fries too! See ya! ;D – Bag-of-Luck

 

He sighed again. He was hoping for a chance to get to know the cute and tall beta. It took him quite a courage to invite someone to his show. He even made sure to stand out more tonight, so that the guy will find him interesting, if only a bit.

 

‘Well, well, well, Kwon Soonyoung-sshi.’ He was startled to hear someone calling his name. Was it his cutie? But the voice was not as deep as he remembered…

 

Lifting his head, he saw some guy walking gangster-like towards him, with hooded eyes and a smirk.

 

, maybe he shouldn’t have stood-out tonight. He did not want to attract any alpha attention besides Mr. Deep Voice. But the face looked familiar… Oh no, he was still walking towards him!

 

‘Or should I say, Kwon Hosh-mphhh!!’

 

Soonyoung didn’t realized he was backing away until he felt his back hitting the wall. The sudden appearance of a pair of hands covering the alpha’s mouth and pulling him harshly backwards awoke Soonyoung from his shock. He was still not used to being around alphas besides his family, and he always gets nervous around the them.

 

‘Soonyoung-sshi, sorry!!! I’m bringing this guy back so don’t mind us!’

That voice, he heard that somewhere before…

 

He tried to look at the owner’s face but the man in checkered shirt was already gone with the pink-haired alpha.

 

Catching his breath, he didn’t realize a tall figure standing beside him with a small smile. The man poked his cheeks, making him jumped back, causing the former to laugh loudly. Hearing the deep voice and looking at the scrunched nose, Soonyoung pulled the guy’s collar, as if trying to start a fight, earning him another chuckle.

 

Slightly blushing, he put his phone back into his pocket and pulled the man towards the bartender.

 

*****

 

Seokmin pushed his next-door friend’s door open and started knocking the life out of the poor door while calling his friend’s name.

 

‘Urghhh… shut up…’

 

He continued his calling with his high-pitch scream, not satisfied with this as a revenge. A few seconds later, he felt a hard pillow on his face, hitting him nose first.

 

‘SHUT UP DOKYEOM YOU !’

 

‘YAAHH BOTH OF YOU SHUT UP!!!’ One of their other neighbors screamed, clearly annoyed. Seokmin ran inside the room and shut the door behind him quickly. ‘SORRY!!’

 

He jumped on the bed and hoped up and down, causing the hangover guy to ran towards the bathroom and empty his stomach. ‘Why are you so mean to me this early in the morning?!!’

 

‘You don’t remember?’

 

‘What?’

 

‘What you did last night?’

 

‘Dokyeom, I did many things when I’m drunk that I don’t regret not remembering.’

 

‘Kwon SoonyoungI!!’

 

‘Owh…’Seokmin rolled his eyes. Of course he didn’t remember, after almost ruining his only chance with… ‘who?’

 

‘Arghhhh! Just know that you owe me!’

 

‘Okay okay…’ Bam Bam made his way towards his friend and laid back on his bed face down. His head is killing him, but it wasn’t the worst he ever felt so he would be okay after a few more hours of sleep.

 

‘Let’s go today. We need to join his club.’

 

‘what club…’

 

‘His dance club! He probably teach the members… I think! Anyways we need to go today.’

 

‘No no… not today please…’ Bam Bam buried his face into his pillow. Seriously this guy was annoying him why don’t he just go drown himself.

 

‘Why not? There’ll be omegas dancing!’ Seokmin did his body roll, imitating Bam Bam, ‘You like that right?’

 

‘Yeah yeah but I’m beat… I might throw up in front of Hoshi or Kwon whatever.’ Seokmin felt his jaw dropping. His friend was rejecting dancing omegas? What happened?

 

‘Next week… Yeah next week. Yeah yeah now shut up.’ He felt his friend’s hand pushing him towards the door while mumbling. Next week??? Next week was at least six more days!! Six long days.

 

‘What bout around afternoon?’

 

‘YAAH! GET OUT OR YOU GO SOLO!’

 

‘Fine fine… Geez! No need to scream.’ Seokmin made his way towards his room, smiling at the thought that next week, he would finally be interacting with his fox. He just need to find out where they practice and their schedule, and maybe practice some dance move to impress the omega in the meanwhile.

 

*****

 

‘Hey, that’s music right?’ Bam Bam stopped his track and pointed his finger upwards, trying to make his friend stop moving. Confirming his suspicion, he moved his head up and down before breaking into a dance. Finally, after god knows how long, they finally found the fox’s dance club. No thanks to his friend who kept on blabbing and walking randomly trying to find it himself. Not to blame him too much though, since it was their first time going to this part of campus after the orientation.

 

‘You genius bastard!’ Seokmin joined Bam Bam’s silly dance before signaling his friend to get inside the sports hall. ‘How do I look?’

 

‘Where did that headband came from?’

 

‘I brought it just in case.’

 

‘Nope not working. Lose it.’

 

Seokmin complied and hurriedly tried to get inside before he was held back. ‘What now?’

 

‘Yaah! What the hell is that wristband doing there?’

 

‘Don’t all dancers wear this??’

 

‘NO! GIMME THAT! JESUS!’ Bam Bam turned his friend 360 degrees to check for anymore stupid accessories before letting him lose. ‘I’m gonna burn this stupid thing.’

 

Seokmin smiled at the comment and took a deep breath before opening the door towards his ‘bright future’. Right in front of him, he saw some people dancing to BTS’s DNA and his jaw dropped. This is some next level . Maybe he shouldn’t have come. Trying to back out, he felt a pair of hand pushed him forward, almost too close to the dancing members.

 

A few members who were sitting grabbed him softly and signaled him to sit down, so he did, feeling nervous all of a sudden. ‘They’re so cool right?’

 

‘Very…’ Seokmin gulped and looked towards the girl who just talked to him. She looked foreign. ‘I’m Seokmin. I can’t dance.’

 

She laughed at the silly introduction, ‘Lisa, I’m from Thailand.’

 

‘Thailand. My friend’s from Thai.’

 

‘Really? Who? Maybe I know him?’

 

‘Bam Bam… I don’t think…’

 

‘Ahh Bam Bam? You from his course?’ Seokmin nodded. Well do all Thai know each other? ‘We were from the same k-pop dance group back in Thai!’

 

His jaw dropped again at the statement that he heard for the first time. Bam Bam can dance? Like for real? Why didn’t he tell him? That bastard… Where is he?

 

Looking around, he saw his beautiful blond omega crouching beside the stereo looking at the dance intensely. Besides him standing was a lady with blond hair who was doing the same.

 

‘That’s Hyoyeon-unni, the leader. She’s graduating next year. The guy besides him is Soonyoung. He’s next-in-line.’

 

‘Isn’t he a first year?’ Seokmin inquired.

 

‘Yeah. He’s not the best dancer here but he’s learning. He’s really good at choreographing and leading so everyone had no problem with him being the next leader.’ He nodded in amazement, still staring at the blond who was now standing and clapping alongside Hyoyeon. Everyone joined in clapping and whistling at the performance which just ended and the dancers returned to their seats, some drinking water while some laid on the floor.

 

‘That was great! You guys improved so much! Now make sure to bring us the first place prize next week!!’ Hyoyeon cheered and all five of the members smirked in satisfaction. Seokmin suddenly felt really small being in the room. He never thought this was a serious club. He should flee right now before it’s too late.

 

‘So I see some new faces today… what you say about having a freestyle dance battle!!’ Oh no…

 

Everybody cheered and pushed the new members towards the inner circle. He tried to run anyway but Lisa pulled him back and pushed him to the front, cheering him. Great.

 

He could hear Winner’s Really Really playing and he wondered how he should dance to this song. He never saw the music video, he had no idea how the dance’s suppose to be.

 

A girl with a cap filled with swag strutted towards the stage and started popping, and ending it with her throwing her cap.

 

Following behind her, a man entered doing a simple dougie and body roll. Next, a pair entered while doing the nae nae and random tap dance. Lisa to push him to the center but he held back. ‘I dunno how to dance!!’

 

‘Just do whatever you want!!’

 

Seokmin tried to find his friend to ask for help but to no avail. At the center, someone was headbanging so hard like his life depended on it, and someone had to pull him back while laughing. A girl came in, and stood there shyly, doing an awkward cat dance.

 

Suddenly he felt a hand wrapped around his shoulder and behold, Bam Bam, shaking his body, ready to enter. Without any warning, he was pushed to the center and his friend started to dance hard, but awkward enough for him to start shaking his body randomly too. His friend suddenly grabbed him and tried to do the body wave. It was so stupid but what the hell. He did it too. Making everyone laugh with his friend’s and his overreacting face.

 

‘Give him a finger heart!’ Bam Bam ordered in whisper and without thinking he sent one towards Soonyoung while winking, right at the part where the song goes ‘Neol johahae’, making everyone clapped louder and some woo’ed. They made their way out, still enjoying a few more challengers. All the while, Seokmin tried to steal glances at the omega. His face was red yet he seemed pale.

 

He looked so cute none-the-less. It reminded him of the Hoshi that morning.

 

After the brief dance session, everyone introduced themselves briefly, along with the reason why they joined the team. Some wanted to join the competitions, some just wanted to dance, while some wanted to learn how. That was his reason.

 

Not surprisingly, his friend said he wanted to see dancing omegas.

 

He thought everyone would be disgusted, but everyone just laughed at him, some omegas even came up to him to flirt and exchange numbers.

 

Omegas are so complicated…

 

After an hour, today’s session ended without him being able to talk to the blond. While he was dragged around by the members, Soonyoung was busy having a discussion with the leader and a few senior members. They danced in between, fixing some moves, and Seokmin couldn’t stop staring at the view.

 

Another side of Soonyoung. He saw the man danced at the party but this was different. There was some aura around him that attract Seokmin so much he wanted to stay and look at it all day.

 

‘That’ll be his omega pheromones calling you.’

 

‘ Bam Bam! You scared me!’

 

‘You were mumbling by yourself so I decided to lend an ear.’

 

‘What would I do without you..’ He rolled his eyes. Bam Bam was standing beside him, not moving, staring at his omega. It made him uncomfortable so he pushed his friend lightly. ‘Mine.’

 

‘Okay man! All yours!’ Bam Bam backed a few step before pulling him towards him. ‘He still have some techniques he needs to fix. Just saying.’

 

‘Says you.’

 

‘I can dance if I want to.’ Bam Bam stated matter-of-factly. Speaking of that…

 

‘You owe me an explanation.’

 

‘Later. Let’s go to the cafe nearby.’

 

‘Why?’ Seokmin raised an eyebrow.

 

‘Why?? Cus some of the omegas are going there and they invited me!’

 

‘Do I have to come?’

 

‘After all I did for you today?’ Bam Bam retorted, letting his jaw drop in disbelief.

 

‘Fine. But just an hour then I’ll go back.’

 

‘You won’t.’

 

*****

 

Soonyoung finally finished his practice with the team at the hall and decided to head back to him room to change into new clothes, before going to the studio in his department to practice his project for his Contemporary Dance class. The studio opens until 2 a.m. so he wouldn’t have to mind the time. There were also a lot of mirrors, smoother flooring and better sound system, making it perfect for his long practice session.

 

He took his gym bag and headed out, waving good-byes to s. He took out his phone and decided to text the Mr. Deep Voice. He typed a few words before deleting them, and writing a different one a few times. What is the most casual thing to say that doesn’t seem desperate but seems interesting enough to get the guy to text back? Hey how u doing? Hello? Smiley cat emoji?

 

‘Kwon Soonyoung-sshi?’

 

He flinched a little hearing that voice. He thought the guy went back already?? ‘Urhh… Hey…’

 

‘You only finished now? It’s six.’

 

‘Yeah… You still here…’ He tried to look at the taller man, not wanting to be rude. When his eyes reached the man’s, he felt his face getting hot so he moved his eyes towards his mouth… But the lips reminded him of the hot kiss they shared during the orientation party, so he blinked furiously, looking to the left or right of the face, trying to avoid the face completely completely.

 

Damnit. He thought he already forgotten about that incident.

 

‘Ermm… so where’s your friend?’ Don’t tell him that Seokmin was waiting for him…

 

‘He… urhh…’ Seokmin scratched his head. How do he tell this guy without making him mad? Because he just have this feeling that Soonyoung didn’t fancy his pink-haired playboy friend. ‘He told me to wait here. He’s exchanging some number with s….’ Owh . Why did you spill???

 

‘With my omega members??’

 

‘Well… he is an adult soo… It’s just exchanging phone numbers, nothing bad’s gonna happen right?’

 

‘I guess so…’ Soonyoung felt bad for overreacting, but he just don’t like that Bam Bam guy near s. He just felt like there’s something wrong about the guy.

 

Seokmin felt the tension and tried to find something to talk about to change the atmosphere. He didn’t want today’s meeting to end in the guy getting heat up over his friend. Desperately looking around, he noticed the small and thick thing in Soonyoung’s grip. There was a keychain dangling so it could only be a phone. But why was it that shape? ‘Is that a phone?’

 

Soonyoung notice the line of sight of the other guy and pulled his grip towards his chest, suddenly remembered that morning when he got Seokmin’s number. He felt nervous, what if the man asked him why he didn’t text him? Should he find an excuse? Or should he just tell him the truth? That he felt creeped out because Seokmin kept talking about being pregnant and it got him scared…

 

‘Owh yeah…’ He rubbed his phone unconsciously.

 

‘Woah… That’s so cool! Is that a flip phone?’

 

‘Yeah.’ He felt very conscious now. The fact that he still use flip phones when everyone else has switched to smart phones, even his neighborhood ahjummas.

 

‘Can I touch it? I always want to try flipping that! I never own one!’

 

Was this guy being sarcastic? Or was he genuinely interested in a mere flip phones? He hesitantly handed his phone, not sure if that was a good idea, but the man took it out of his grip enthusiastically and tried to open the top half using his other hand carefully, as if he was afraid of breaking it. He took a sharp and deep breath when the top fell back down with a loud sound, thinking he broke the phone. He probably didn’t know he can just push it open with a bit of force with his thumb. Soonyoung laughed silently watching the man’s antics and considered helping him.

 

‘Here, you put you thumb hear and push it like this.’ He did a demo and handed it back to Seokmin, feeling like laughing again looking at the man’s amazed face. ‘It won’t break that easily.’

 

Seokmin successfully flip it open this time and jumped in excitement, which confused the omega. Why?

 

‘I always wanted to flip phones! It so cool! Like,’ he flipped the phone again, and put the phone near his ears, ‘hello? See? I look like a freaking professional!’

 

Soonyoung only smile at the excited alpha. Nobody every reacted that way to his old phone. They either ask him why he still use flip phones, or ignored it completely, thinking it was rude to even comment about it. Well, at least one other guy did find his phone infatuating besides Seokmin…

 

‘My dad used to have this. But he never let me touch it.’ Seokmin made a sad face and Soonyoung didn’t know how to comment on that. There was an awkward silent, while Seokmin kept looking at the phone with a nostalgic face. He decided to return it back to its owner.

 

‘So you found your phone. That’s good.’

 

. What do he say now that wouldn’t ruin the moment? ‘I…No, I just bought a cheap one to replace that one…’ Great. He lied.

 

‘Owh really? That’s sad… Do they still sell this type of phones?’

 

‘Yeah…’ Well they do…

 

Another awkward silence. Will the alpha ask about him not contacting? He needed to change the topic fast…

 

‘Your jumper! I already washed it! I’ll pass it later…’

 

‘Owh that. Naah keep it.’

 

‘But it’s expensive right?’ From at the quality of the jumper, he doubt it was fake.

 

Seokmin thought for a while about that idea. At least he will get another chance to talk to the smaller guy if the latter would return it… ‘Okay… So next meeting?’

 

Soonyoung shivered at the idea that one of s might see the exchange, assume things and tell other people. Well, there was nothing to assume because it would be true, but still… ‘No, I’ll give it to you another time.’

 

‘You wanna come by the dorm?’ Seokmin lifted one of his eyebrows. He didn’t really like the idea.

 

‘Ermm… no…’

 

‘Yeah… someone might snatch you away if you do.’ Soonyoung blushed hearing the reply. Does this man say anything and everything that is in his mind without a care in the world? ‘Let’s go to a cafe then!’

 

That… Soonyoung did not like that idea either. Truth be told, he didn’t really want anything more to do with the guy after the orientation party. But since the guys went all the way to his club to meet him, and he did still own the man’s jumper which he kindly lent to him, Soonyoung still needed to repay him…

 

‘... or you can just give it to me next meeting if you don’t want to… no pressure.’ Seokmin suggested after a long silence.

 

‘NO! Okay cafe!’

 

‘Okay then cafe! Lets set the details later!’ Seokmin took out his phone from his backpack. ‘Hey, gimme your number.’

 

‘Number? Erm… sure. 01-’

 

‘What’s your line ID?’ Seokmin asked and Soonyoung shook his head. The former nodded in surprise and understanding; hitting own his forehead as a punishment for his ignorance. ‘Okay so bluetooth? I don’t have infrared…’

 

Soonyoung shook his head again and Seokmin scratched his head in confusion and embarrassment for pushing the omega into an awkward situation. ‘I’ll just give you my number. You don’t remember yours right?’

 

The smaller man felt his face flustered. Although he just said that lie as an excuse to not exchange numbers, the alpha remembered, even after a few months. He typed in the said number and saved the contact under Lee Seokmin.

 

‘Hey, you remembered my name!’ the man commented, making him blush again.

 

‘Yeah…’

 

‘Nice!! So let’s set the date later! I need to go find Bam Bam now.’ Seokmin pulled his bag over his shoulder and did a small salute to his fox as a goodbye. ‘See ya Kwon Soonyoung-sshi!’

 

‘Bye!’ Soonyoung slapped his mouth for blurting out that word. He was supposed to act cold and that wasn’t.

 

Great. Now they will go out to a cafe. Just great.

 

To be continued...

 

This is a long one! Phew! As promised, a third-wheel! And I know you would've guess who it is without revealing the name. I won't reveal the name in this fic just because it won't effect the character development.

Thank you for all the new subscribers!!!!

And for you guys who commented, I love you! <3