Hesitation

Excuse Me?

It’s a chill morning. Jungkook walked out of his home in heavy steps. Monday morning was the time he hates the most. The cold winter breeze made the little sleepiness grew bigger. He slapped his face so that he would fully awake but unfortunately, it’s not working. Afraid he couldn’t hold his sleepiness and it could lead him to sleep-walking, he decided to jogged to the bus station.

It took around 10 minutes to ride for him to arrive at school. When he dropped off the bus, he checked on his phone to see the time. He had enough time before school starts. Before he put the phone back in his pocket, a message came. It’s from Mingyu.

Taehyung asked me for an additional session today after school. He said your class will have a biology quiz tomorrow. She said yes. Since u r in the same class, feel free to join. PS: it will be suspicious if u don’t come ;D.

“Hyung!” Jungkook was startled at the voice so he immediately turned off the screen and put his phone back to his jacket’s pocket. He looked at the source of the voice and it was Namjoon who just got out of the bus. Jungkook smiled at him and they walked together to the school.

While they were walking, Jungkook was still busy thinking about Mingyu’s messages. At first, he was so determined to drop out of the study group, but now he hesitated after what Mingyu said to him at his home yesterday.

“Hey,” Jungkook finally decided to ask for help regarding his decision and Namjoon was the perfect person. Namjoon was not involved in this matter so he could give an objective opinion. Moreover, Jungkook always thought Namjoon was wiser than him. He adored the way Namjoon looked at something in a broader perspective.

“Let’s say there is someone you really hate. You hate him so much that you don’t want to meet him ever again. But that person is so great at soccer. If you learn from him, then you can be the national team player. Of course, there is another capable person, but his coaching method is very suitable for you so that you can learn quickly. Do you still want to learn from him?” Jungkook gave a case study to express his question.

Namjoon said he couldn’t decide because there was a lot of missing variable. Hearing his theoretical answer annoyed Jungkook. Namjoon knew how much Jungkook hates complicated answers but seeing his annoyed face was fun so he can’t help but . Jungkook was older than him but he found Jungkook was so cute when he got annoyed.

“Hahaha just kidding. Hmm… putting aside all the variables, then my answer is… I’ll do it. Even if I must learn from someone that I hate, I will do it so that I can achieve my goal. Isn’t it a basic thing? If you want to get good grades you should study hard. Everyone hates to study. But why they keep doing that? Because of their goal, their future is important.

“In this case, I know it will affect you emotionally since you hate that person. Learning from someone you despised is no doubt will hurt your pride. But if you change your perspective from learning to take advantage it can be easier for you to accept. So, in short, you must think you only use him for your advantage,” Namjoon shared his opinion.

Jungkook nodded at Namjoon’s answer. This little kid was so mature for his age. Maybe it’s because of his outstanding brain and his hobby to read the heavy themed book, but whatever it was he indeed one of a brilliant kid.

Jungkook was still trying to absorb Namjoon’s answer so that they continued walking in silence. Namjoon took a glance at Jungkook’s face. His senior looked like he was having a complicated trigonometry test in his head. It made him worried and wondered about this person that he hates. Is it something serious that made him think so hard about it? Jungkook isn’t someone who easily got carried away with emotion but seems like, this “hate” was so big that made Jungkook asked him for opinion.

“Hyung, you know. Grudge, regret, anger, and lament are the things that can trap you in the past. Forgive the wrong, accept the mistake, letting go of something that already happened, and turn it into a life lesson are the greatest way to escape the past and face a better future. I don’t know who that guy is, but I think your emotion is too precious to spend on something like hate. Well, I mean it’s better to forgive him although it’s hard. But, trust me, it can lift your burden and make your life brighter,” Namjoon suddenly remembered what his tutor said to him when he fell down after he knew he got benched for the tournament. He was so down but those words opened his eyes and made him look at the situation with a different perspective.

As Namjoon finished his word, they were walking pass through the school gate. They were greeting the teacher who did the morning inspection and Jungkook's breath in relieved because he passed although his hair was getting longer. After they safely passed the gate, Jungkook continued their conversation.

“What you said is right. But, sometimes, those things left a scar. You might forget it as the time pass by, but it will always there,” Jungkook also knew what Namjoon said was true. But, it’s not as easy as it seems.

“Just get plastic surgery to remove the scar then. If your will is strong enough you will always try to find a way,” Namjoon smiled and showing his deep dimple. He truly wanted to cheer his senior. It’s not good for him to feel down during this stressful period.

Jungkook laughed at his joke and thanked him for being so positive and gave him nice advice. He then asked Namjoon where he got that quote, which author that wrote it. Namjoon laughed and said it was his tutor who said it to him.

“The gossip that circle around said you are so picky to choose your tutor so that you change your tutor every month. I was curious why you keep her as your tutor for two years. So, I concluded there are only two reasons, she is incredibly pretty or incredibly smart. But now, I think it’s none of them. I can tell you adore her because of her wisdom,”

“She is pretty tough,” said Namjoon cutting Jungkook’s word that made Jungkook surprised. Jungkook couldn’t believe what he heard. He stopped walking and asked Namjoon to repeat it again. Namjoon looked at him then he said it again. Jungkook closed his mouth with his hand and exaggerating his surprised reaction. He then continued to walk while smiling happily. He couldn’t believe finally Namjoon admitted and said it with his own mouth. His guess was right. He probably likes her.

While Jungkook was thinking Namjoon was the one who likes her, Namjoon was thinking the opposite. That’s why seeing Jungkook smiling like a crazy person made Namjoon felt bad. Namjoon thought Jungkook must be excited to meet her. Ever since Namjoon told him about his tutor, he seems to show an interest. Moreover, the dating rule had been lifted so he won’t felt guilty anymore. He hesitated but then decided it’s better to not lift his hope up.

“Hyung, I am sorry, but I give up,” Namjoon looked very sorry when he said it.

Jungkook stopped walking again and stare at him with disappointed eyes. He couldn’t believe Namjoon was given up even before trying to confess to her. As a captain, he never teaches his teammates to be a coward by giving up before the war. Of course, soccer and love are two different things but this principle applied to every aspect of your life. Jungkook about to scold him but then he decided to give encouragement instead.

“Hey, listen. You must be confident. You don’t lack anything. You’ve got a y brain; you’ve got the body. Look at your height! Not only that, you are a national athlete who also excels in music and art! Your face… Well, it’s not a typical flower boy's face, but you are handsome, dude! Moreover, you have a secret weapon. Your dimples! See, you are perfect! There is no reason for you to give up, right?” Jungkook got fired up to boost Namjoon’s confidence.

Namjoon scratched his not itchy head and about to say a word, but Jungkook immediately cut him.

“There are only two reasons to be allowed to give up. First, if that girl is already taken. Second, if she is still single but the one who chases her is Jung Jaehyun, then… It’s fine to give up. Nobody won’t say you are a coward. That guy is just too perfect to be true. We are no match for him. Even your secret weapon, the dimples, he had it too. Ah, seriously it makes me sounds like a loser but, that’s the truth,” Jungkook finally finished his lecture.

Hearing the last sentences made Namjoon gulped. Jungkook looked at Namjoon’s nervous reaction and asked him whether that condition applied to his situation. Namjoon’s eyes were shaking and his brain was trying so hard to determine which sentence his mouth will say to answer.

“Honestly, it’s not about me. I want to introduce her to you. I feel bad when I heard the gossips about you having one-sided love with Nayeon sunbae. You even wait for her in front of her school gate. I know it’s not true but somehow I felt bad for you,” Namjoon decided to not make this misunderstanding went longer.

“What? So, if it’s about me, then why you said you give up?” Jungkook felt a bit offended.

“Both,” Namjoon mumbled but as soon as he said it he regretted it.

“What?” Jungkook asked him again because he couldn’t hear it.

Namjoon finally woke up to his rational mind. His genius brain finally finished completing the hint’s puzzles. Right, Jungkook was close to Jaehyun, there was no way he didn’t know about Jaehyun’s girlfriend. More importantly, he hasn’t confirmed it yet with both parties about their real relationship. It’s just his own interpretation after seeing them together. For now, it’s better to keep silent. Whether it’s true or not it could ruin their friendship. Jungkook might felt betrayed if he heard it from someone else.

“Oh, it seems like she already has a boyfriend and that guy is as handsome as Jaehyun Sunbae so... I don’t think you have a chance. Hahahaha... AAAKKKKKK!!!,” Namjoon screamed as Jungkook hit his forehead.

“YOU BRAT! HOW DARE YOU UNDERESTIMATE ME?!!” Jungkook was rolling his sleeves ready to pick a fight. He knew Namjoon just doing exactly what he said about the reason to giving up but somehow it hurts his pride more. Namjoon who saw Jungkook was ready to fight, quickly hold his bag’s straps tight, and run as fast as he can.

***

“Sorry I am a bit late. The traffic is no joke today,” Chaeyoung apologized as soon as she arrived at the cafe.

Taehyung smiled and told her it’s okay because it’s understandable. Her school was far from here. Chaeyoung smiled and thanked him. She sat down then organized her belonging by putting her bag and coat on the chair next to her. Taehyung gave her a menu book and told her it’s better to order their food first before starts the lesson. He said he always needs sweet foods to boost his concentration. Chaeyoung laughed and said she was also the same.

Chaeyoung opened the menu book with a bright smile. She only came to this cafe once, but she remembered the taste of their chocolate mousse cake. Moreover, she only had to teach one person today and Taehyung seems like a fun and easy-going guy, so it won’t be too awkward although it’s only their second meeting. While she was busy thinking about what beverage that suits the chocolate mousse cake, someone came and took a seat next to Taehyung. She lifted her head and surprised when she saw Jungkook was there.

“Jungkook and I are in the same class so I ask him to join us,” Taehyung explained to her the reason Jungkook was there. Chaeyoung smiled and said studying is more fun with more people. Taehyung smiled in relief. He actually felt a bit uneasy because Jungkook acted exceptionally cold towards her. He didn’t want her to feel uncomfortable. But he was relieved because it seems like she wasn’t the type to felt offended easily.

“Chocolate mousse cake,” both Chaeyoung and Taehyung said the same order to the waitress. They both then looked at each other and giggling. After they finished their order, Taehyung curiously asked her why she chooses the chocolate mousse cake although it’s not their signature dish. He was curious whether she was a regular here. Chaeyoung explained she only come once but she totally fell in love with that cake.

Knowing they both had the same preferences in food, they then started to talk about food and forget Jungkook was there too. They only realized his presence after he put aside his book from the table after seeing the waitress was on his way to bring their order. After the food was served and they recharge their energy from it, Chaeyoung set an alarm to 10 minutes and handed practice tests to them. They were busy working on it while Chaeyoung works on her homework.

The alarm hasn’t rung yet, but Taehyung already finished. He handed it to her, and she started to check his answer. While she was checking, Taehyung eats his cake and began a conversation. He asked her why he didn’t know her although she knew a lot of good restaurants. Chaeyoung was still marking the answer and didn’t answer. Since Chaeyoung hasn’t responded, Taehyung continued to ask another question. This time was about her Instagram account. But, once again he got no answer from her. Afraid that Taehyung will get mad because he still not familiar with her teaching style, she decided to respond to him. She lifted her head and smiled at him.

“It’s a secret,” she talked in a whisper.

“Why?” Taehyung got curious.

Chaeyoung took a glance at Jungkook who looked like he didn’t get bothered at all and seriously working on the test. Chaeyoung smiled again and said she will tell him after the alarm ring. Taehyung looked a bit sad, but then he remembered she already told him the rule at their first meeting. No chatting during the lesson unless it’s break time. She saw Taehyung’s face and smiled as she knew Taehyung finally remembered the rule.

Finally, she finished checking Taehyung’s answer. There were several questions he answered wrong so she told him to re-do it again. By that time, Jungkook already finished too and it did not take long for her to finish checking his answer. He got more than 50% of questions wrong and she knew it was because he was lacking in the basic theory. By the time she finished with Jungkook’s answer, Taehyung finished his task too. She took a quick look and he still got wrong. The alarm was ringing and she offered them to choose between a break or continued with the explanation. Taehyung chooses the second option because it’s hard for him to concentrate again after the break.

Chaeyoung took a piece of paper and started to draw on it while explaining the theory to both. Taehyung listened to her with full concentration while Jungkook seems like he wasn’t interested. Chaeyoung even doubted whether he listened to her. She got a bit pissed because he still didn’t understand the basics, yet he didn’t listen. But she remembered it’s must be hard for him to suppress his emotion and not to show how much he hates her. So that she held her emotion and decided to not pay any attention to him. It’s up to him whether he wants to listen or not.

After hearing the explanation, Taehyung immediately working on the question he got wrong. He was able to get 3 questions right, but he was still confused at the last question. He asked Chaeyoung to explain it to him again and she did it happily. In the middle of explaining, Taehyung suddenly stood up and it made her confused. But then, he sat in the empty chair next to her. He said it was more comfortable for her to explain in this position. She thanked him for his understanding and continued to explain.

It’s almost two hours which means their session almost ended. But, throughout those hours, Jungkook didn’t ask any single question. Chaeyoung asked him several times but he said there was nothing he wanted to ask. She nodded and decided not to ask him again because she didn’t want to make this atmosphere to worsen.

Although it seems like she only taught Taehyung today, she felt more tired than when she had to teach the whole group. Maybe, it’s because she kept feeling she was being watched and had to act cautiously. Moreover, she had to pretend nothing was going on between her and Jungkook. Whatever it was, she really wanted to go back home as soon as possible.

“Chaeng, I am very sorry. It seems like I can’t walk you home tonight. My mom just called me and said she was near here and wanted to pick me up. It’s okay if Jungkook is the one to walk you home, right? Don’t worry he might be so cold but he actually a nice guy,” Taehyung apologize to Chaeyoung as soon as he ended the phone call from his mom. He felt so bad because he couldn’t fulfill his promise.

Chaeyoung showed him a warm smile and ensure him she was okay and told him not to worry. Her assurance made Taehyung felt ease. Taehyung’s phone was vibrating, and it was the sign for him to get a hurry because his Mom was near. Before he left, she repeated the key points he should read to get a better score on tomorrow's quiz. He showed his thumb and said he already remembered it. He then patted Jungkook’s shoulder and warned him to be nice at her. Jungkook didn’t respond because he didn’t want to make any promise.

“You don’t have to walk me home. I know Mingyu already promised my brother as one of the conditions on this study group activity, but, don’t worry I won’t tell him about it. I know you might feel uncomfortable about this,” Chaeyoung realized Jungkook didn’t want to do what Taehyung told him. It’s understandable. She also didn’t want it to happen because it’s better to go home alone rather than stuck with this guy. Having 2 hours sitting in the same place with him was already drained her energy.

“If you know I will feel uncomfortable, then why did you start it?” Jungkook threw a cynical question while glaring at her with disgracing eyes.

His question piercing through her heart. The memories from a year ago reappeared and it made her shaken. She remembered clearly the last time they met. Now, she felt like that bad event was about to repeat again. The place and situation were similar. Unexpectedly her body reacting quicker than her mind. She could feel her heart was beating faster and she felt nauseous.

Having an overwhelming emotion made Chaeyoung couldn’t answer his question. She was afraid she could cry once she opened to talk. So, to avoid any unwanted event, she quickly packed and left the cafe without saying a single word. Because she was in hurry, she didn’t even wear her coat. She walked in doubled speed to the bus station but in the middle of the way, she had to slow down as the pedestrian got more crowded. She didn’t want to get scold by bumped to every people on this street.

“Old-man! Don’t vomit here. It’s disgusting,” said a middle-aged lady who seemed like the owner of the café where the drunk old man was vomiting.

Disgusting. Chaeyoung instinctively stopped when she heard that word. This triggered her emotional balloon who was about to burst out. She looked at the drunk old man who keeps vomiting and it made her want to vomit too. Afraid she could be affected by him she shook her head and quickly left that scene. Finally, Chaeyoung arrived at the bus station, and luckily there was still empty space on the seat. She sat down there and trying to organize her emotions.

Not long after she sat down, two girls came and sat next to her. It seems like they were also seniors because they were talking about each other future dreams.

“Cool! Being a lawyer is one of the most prestigious jobs in our country. By the way, I always confused about this, what’s the difference between lawyer and prosecutor?” asked the first girl.

“Hmm... to put it simply, the prosecutor is the one who works to prove guilt while the lawyer defends the client and attempts to make the clients deemed innocent,” said the other girl.

Defends the client and attempts to make the clients deemed innocent. Hearing those words made Chaeyoung remembered the advice she received from her members on their sleepover night. Their friends were right. Jennie said she had to become a lawyer for herself. Nobody will defend her beside herself. Lisa also said she should stop apologizing for something she didn’t do. It’s good to avoid conflict but claiming someone else’s fault nor stay silent weren’t always the best options. Sometimes, people need to speak up and tell the truth to the world. That way, they could prove they weren’t wrong, and people had no right to blame and accuse them.

“Hey,” Chaeyoung called the girl who sat next to her.

“Thank you. I hope you will become a great lawyer,” Chaeyoung’s sudden good luck wish made the girls confused and speechless.

Chaeyoung stood up and hurriedly running back to the cafe hoping Jungkook was still there. She finally made up her mind. She no longer wanted to get treated as a culprit. She didn’t want to get blamed for something she didn’t do. She didn’t want to be afraid and embarrassed again whenever she met him. She had to be a lawyer for herself. She should fight this injustice.

Once she arrived, she quickly came inside and walked towards the table where she used before. Luckily, Jungkook was still sitting in there.

“What?” asked Jungkook when Chaeyoung came back and sat in front of him while breathing heavily. Her face looked all red due to the marathon and cold air. Her expression was also different. Usually, she always full of a smile but this time she had no expression at all. Moreover, her gaze looked so intense. Since their first meet this year, she never looked at him in the eyes, but this time she didn’t look away even for a second.

“It’s a misunderstanding. The camera you saw that day, it’s not mine. It’s my friend’s camera and I borrow it. He is part of the media club in your school, so he had those pictures. The website that you see on my browser history, it’s not me who access it. It’s my friend. And for your information, the entire school already knows about it and they can access it freely. About Nayeon, I never plan it beforehand. I just happened to meet Mingyu, Dokyeom, and Taehyung in the convenience store and heard them talking about how the other school mocks them for not having a cheerleader. I knew their face because they are regular in the cafe I work on and I felt bad for them so that I left the brochure of my school in the table. I didn’t expect they really came and ask Nayeon for it.

“I never lie to you about my economic condition. My family used to be well-off before we went bankrupt. That’s why I use branded goods and know lots of popular restaurants. But, it’s a long time ago. Now, I didn’t have money to spend on unnecessary things like that. I am so poor so that I couldn’t afford to buy my brother a gift. And, that’s also the reason why I work in that café.

“That café is not hiring a minor, so I use my friend’s identity. The manager who interviewed her took a maternity leave so that the new manager didn’t know her face. That’s why I can work there using her ID. And, when I work in the café, I didn’t talk much with my coworker afraid my identity would get discovered. So, to kill the boredom, I listened to the costumer’s conversations. That’s why I know you hate cinnamon and I remembered it well because it is similar to my brother.

“And the slide. Okay, it’s my fault for eavesdropping on your conversation but I told you, it’s unintentional. I was already there before you and your senior arrived. I was too focused on studying so that I didn’t notice you were there. When I realized you and your senior were already in the middle of a serious conversation. It’s awkward for me to get out so suddenly so, I had no choice but to stay hidden. And it happened several times because I used to go there every night. And, I think it’s normal because that park is located near my home,” Chaeyoung took a break after telling the long explanation consecutively. She took out her tumbler then drank the rest of the water that left on it in one shot.

On the other hand, Jungkook just listened and didn’t cut her. He let her talk. Deep inside his heart, he didn’t want to hear it because it sounds like an excuse, but strangely, he didn’t want to leave either. He thought it was interesting how she created those stories. Besides, he was curious at what story she gonna tells regarding the stalk.

“That’s right I like you but not in a romantic way. It’s more like a fan and an idol. I adore you for your way of life. You seem like the type who lives a carefree life. Do something that you like and not give a damn about something that you hate. And as a fan, I want to give you something as my gratitude for brightened up my day. I was embarrassed if I give you something cheap as the other girls give you expensive goods. I like you but I like myself and my family more. So, I gave you something that I can afford but still useful. I hope by giving you that gift, it can help you tear the label they put on you and prove to them someone can do great both in extracurricular and study,”

“Lastly, I want to make it clear that I didn’t stalk you. I admit I followed you that day. But only that one day. My life was a mess at that time. I know it’s weird but looking at you always encourages me to live my life and focus on my happiness. Besides, I think it’s the last time I was able to see you since I had to quit my part-time job. So, instinctively I just walked towards your neighborhood wishing I could see you there for the last time. Once I got there, I felt so stupid because I don’t know where you live so I decided to go back. But, just like destiny, I bumped into you and ended up following you to the market then to the basketball court.

“You asked me what’s my real intention to get close to you? Sorry, but I really didn’t have one. You are the one who approaches me. As information, I never imagine becoming your friend. Even talk to you personally feels like a dream to me. So, become your girlfriend is something that beyond my imagination,” Chaeyoung successfully finished her last sentences without cutting the eye contact. She was purposely doing that to give the impression that she was not wrong. Everything it’s just a misunderstanding that is most likely caused by Jungkook’s assumptions.

Ten seconds after Chaeyoung stopped talking but Jungkook still didn’t say anything. There were a lot of things that could be interpreted from his silence but for Chaeyoung, it’s already finished. There was nothing to be explained anymore. As she finished with her business, she stood up and took her belonging, and left the table. But, before she reached the front door, she came back again as she remembered she still had something she needs to say.

“That rainy day on the slide, I told you to pursue your dream and if you have a difficulty regarding school, you can always ask me for help. That promise is the sole reason I accept Mingyu’s offer to join this study group,”

“Huh, you are really self-centered, aren’t you? Although you already know it will make me uncomfortable, you still accept it just because you don’t want to lose your integrity? Hahaha… How impressive,” Jungkook snickered.

“Then, what about you? Why did you come to my school and wait for Nayeon at the school gate? You can always ask her to meet you somewhere but why you still waiting for her despite how embarrassing it was?”

Jungkook was speechless. He felt embarrassed because she caught him. Yes, he intentionally did that embarrassing thing because he promised her to do it if he passes the remedial test. It’s been a year but he still remembered that promise and he also owes Nayeon an apology.

“I do feel uncomfortable too. At first, I didn’t want to accept this offer but seeing you fulfilled your promise despite how much you hate me, make me realize that no matter how much you hate that person, a promise is a promise. Now, I fulfilled my promise so I am free from my debt to you. It’s up to you now. If you feel uncomfortable, feel free to leave. I am sorry because I can’t be the one who leaves because I made a contract with Mingyu,”

All the burden on her chest was finally lifted. As she didn’t have anything to so say anymore, she left the café and walked back home. On the bus, Chaeyoung called Lisa and told her what just happened. Their phone call was lasting for too long until Chaeyoung safely landed on her bed. Realized she had to rest because her eyes were getting heavier, Chaeyoung decided to end their conversation.

“Lisa, I feel bad for him. Am I too harsh? I feel like I hurt his feeling by saying those words,” before Chaeyoung ended the phone call, she asked Lisa the last question that kept troubling her ever since she left the cafe.

“No, you chose the softest words. It’s not harsh at all. You are just stating the fact. Besides, don’t you feel sorry for defending yourself,” Lisa ensure her that she did the right thing and do not feel guilty over it. Chaeyoung was too soft and it sometimes made Lisa frustrated. But still, she envies her for that pure heart.

“Yeah, you are right. Anyway, I get so sleepy, I think I should end this call. Goodnight baby,” Chaeyoung couldn’t bear her sleepiness anymore. After Lisa said goodbye she slowly put away the phone from her ear. But before it went too far, Lisa called her and she put it back on her ear again.

“Rosie. You did a good job. I am so proud of you,” Chaeyoung was smiling hearing those comforting words from her best friend. She said thank you but Lisa can’t hear it as she said it in her dream.

***

“KIM MINGYUUUU!!!!!” Mingyu turned his head when he heard his name got called. He was so surprised when Taehyung was running at a full speed towards him from the end of the corridor. It was so fast that in a blink of an eye he already appeared in front of him and suddenly gave a big tight hug.

“AAAAAAKKKKK! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING??!!!” Mingyu screamed as Taehyung suddenly peck his cheek.

“Thank you for introducing me to my soulmate, love you!!” Taehyung about to kiss him again but Mingyu quickly hold his lips and pushed him away from him.

Throughout their way to the canteen, Taehyung keeps clinging on Mingyu and walked arm in arm. It made quite a sight and it made Mingyu embarrassed. Mingyu asked Jungkook why he suddenly acts like that and Jungkook who loved that sight just giggling and refuse to tell him the reason.

Finally, Mingyu could move freely again when they were queuing for their lunch. Jungkook and Jaehyun bring their own lunch so that they already sat down on the chair. Dokyeom who came late because he had to copy his friend’s note joined them at the same time Mingyu and Taehyung sat down while bringing their food tray.

“So, anyone wants to explain why this guy turned weird?” Mingyu couldn’t hold his curiosity anymore.

All the eyes were on Jungkook as he was Taehyung’s only classmate there. Jungkook felt pressure given by every pair of eyes that stare at him so he didn’t have a choice but to tell them. Taehyung got a perfect score on their Biology quiz today and it made him so happy because it was his first time in three years to obtain a perfect score. The boys then moved their stare to Taehyung who still showing his square-shaped smile. Taehyung then took his phone out and showed them the picture of his test result. He said he would put in on the frame and hang it in his room. They were laughing at his crazy idea but actually, they were happy for him. It’s so rare to saw him smiling happily like that other than when he eats delicious food.

“Mingyu-ya, empty your schedule. I will treat you as a commemoration of this historical day event,” said Taehyung and is welcomed by the protest from his other friend. They questioned him he only treats Mingyu.

“Because he introduces me to my soulmate,” Taehyung smiled at Mingyu.

“OOOOOOOO,” the boys were giving such a grand reaction when Taehyung acclaimed her as his soulmate. Mingyu then by saying he should invite her too because she was the one who made this historical day possible. Dokyeom then suggested him to call her right now to inform her about this good news. Unexpectedly Taehyung took that suggestion then without a doubt he called her. Seeing Taehyung’s excitement made them happy because he looked so cute.

While Taehyung was having a phone call, Jaehyun asked Jungkook about his score. Jungkook said his score wasn’t good because he still lacking the basics and it's impossible for him to learn in one night. The three of them nodded then continued to eat their lunch.

“Guys, do you have a recommendation for the cram school?” Jungkook asked.

Hearing his question made Dokyeom almost chocked and quickly grabbed for water and drink it. Jaehyun and Mingyu also looked at each other with a confused face. They weren’t sure whether they hear it right. Jungkook looking for a cram school was something they didn’t expect to hear at this time. To make sure about the health of their ears, they asked him again about the question.

“WHAAT???” Dokyeom almost laughing out loud if it’s not for Mingyu and Jaehyun who kicked his feet under the table. Jaehyun and Mingyu were also so ready to but since it was a good sign, they decided to take it seriously.

Jungkook looked at Dokyeom with a slightly embarrassed face. He knew they would for it. It’s unusual to hear he wanted to go to cram school after countless times he said he won’t go.

“YOU CAN JOIN ME. MY CRAM SCHOOL IS GREAT!” Dokyeom continued with the same volume and intonation as what he said before.

Jungkook smiled in relief because he didn’t have to face humiliation for taking back his own word. But, Jungkook refuse Dokyeom and said he didn’t want to go to the same cram school as them. The reason was he was afraid he won’t be studying seriously because he will think he had someone to depend on. If he was alone, he should fight for himself without getting any help from anyone. Jaehyun then recommends him to his former cram school. Since he was already accepted to university, he won’t attend it anymore. He then sent the web site's link to him. After looking at the website, Jungkook quickly finished his lunch and go back to the class first. He said wanted to proceed with the enrollment.

“He won’t resign from the study group, right?” Taehyung asked once Jungkook left.

The other was confused about why Taehyung asked that question. Taehyung then told them he asked Jungkook to walk her home last night.

“What? It doesn’t make sense. Why should he want to resign just because he doesn’t want to walk her home? I don’t get it,” Jaehyun who wasn’t participating in the study group couldn’t believe it.

“I know it sounds silly but I think he might hate her. He acts especially cold towards her. I don’t know why he acts like that. It even makes me embarrassed,” Dokyeom replied and Taehyung agreed. Jaehyun still couldn’t understand so Dokyeom and Taehyun told him more examples.

“Guys, stop it. Jungkook is originally like that. Remember the things between him and Nayeon? And also, all the girls that confessed to him last year? He is still the same. It’s been a long time since you witnessed his coldness so you might feel strange. Moreover, the girl is someone that we all know so it feels weirder. So, let’s think Jungkook is just ashamed because he got a lower score than Taehyung so he wanted to get an extra lesson,” got alarmed with this topic who can lead into more digging about Jungkook and Chaeyoung past, Mingyu immediately takes an emergency action by changing the topic. Luckily, their lunchtime was almost over so that they left that topic and quickly finished their lunch to go back to their own class.

***

Think before you talk. Jungkook kept repeating those words inside his head. He was now on his way to the sandwich restaurant near his cram school to fill his empty stomach. It’s only his first day and first-class on cram school yet he already regretted his decision. He hates that he should spend his precious after school time to studying. Well, its thanks to his pride and his impulsiveness. If only Jaehyun didn’t ask him about his score, the memory from when Chaeyoung told him to get lost from the study group might not appear. His anger got triggered and his pride was hurt so that right at that moment he decided to go to cram school. He wanted to prove that he can get a good score without her help.

The sandwich restaurant was so crowded by the students who wanted to spend their precious break time. Jungkook came inside and stood in the long queue. After waiting for some minutes that seems like an hour, he finally got his sandwich. He looked around to found an empty chair and luckily one male student just got up from his seat. With no doubt, he quickly ran over there so that no one would have a chance to take it.

It’s so awkward to eat alone in a crowded place. That’s what inside Jungkook’s head right now. He was never done before. He looked around and relieved that it seems like he was not the only one who ate alone there, so it’s normal and he didn’t look pathetic. Again, he regretted his decision to go to this cram school. He should accept Dokyeom’s offer and went there together so that he won’t be eating alone. Because it was so awkward, he only focused on eating and determined to finish it quickly so that he could get away from there.

“This notebook is amazing. It’s like a bible. I bought it at quite a high price from my senior. At first, I don’t know why the entire class was crazy over it, but as I saw it myself, it’s worth the price. I think the original owner is a fool for only sell it at that price. If I was her, I’m gonna sell it higher and only distribute it to the higher bidder. This is the fruit of my hard work and I deserve to get the commission,” said the girl who sat on the next table.

Jungkook who was only focusing on munching his sandwich eavesdropping on the conversation on the next table. He actually didn’t intend to do it but somehow, he couldn’t help but listen. Maybe it’s because he was alone and he had nothing to do besides eating his sandwich. Secretly, Jungkook also took a glance at those girls to see their faces. The owner of the book was the girl with a ponytail who sat in the opposite direction of Jungkook and her friend was having short hair and sat next to him. They both wearing a different uniform, maybe they were middle school friends who met at cram school.

The short-haired girl got curious about the book and asked whether she could see it. The ponytail girl showed it to her and she got amazed by it. The book looked like indeed amazing that made the short hair wanted to copy it. But the ponytail sounded objected. She said she promised the senior she won’t distribute it. If the short hair wants it, she should buy from the senior. The short-haired sounded like she got surprised by the rejection but still trying to persuade her friend to lend it to her. The ponytail sounds hesitated. Of course, it’s not fair for her. Not only because she had to buy at a higher price, but she also had to share the treasure.

Jungkook was too focused on the next table conversation that made him not realize the guy who sat in front of him had finished his sandwich and now a new people came and asked whether she could sit there. Jungkook got a bit shocked when the woman asked him but he quickly nodded. The woman then smiled and asked him to tag the chair because she had to wait in the queue to order. Jungkook nodded once again. Once the women went to the counter to order, Jungkook realized that the ponytail girl was already left because he didn’t hear her voice again. He was a bit disappointed because he didn’t hear the reason why she left. Perhaps, it’s because they were having a quarrel over the notebook? It’s not his business and it’s not important, but somehow it felt like he just missed one of the episodes of soap opera.

“Do you want to copy that book?” Jungkook could hear another voice talking to the short-haired girl.

“How much you sell it?” asked the short-haired girl. Jungkook tried to take a glance at the new girl but he couldn’t. The new girl sat on the next table of the short hair and in the same line with Jungkook. It’s out of his eye’s ranges.

“I don’t know how much they charge per page. Hmm... But I guess you can bring the money that enough to copy all the pages. I can lend it to you but, not today cause I’m not bringing it. I have a class on Thursday. We can meet here at this hour. Is that okay?” said the new girl.

Jungkook thought their conversation was getting interesting. It’s like he watched the live drama. He was guessing what the short-haired girl would say. But, once again, this drama was getting cut off in the middle as the woman who asked him to tag the chair coming back with a tray of sandwich and cola. Since she was just a stranger who just wanted to eat dinner, Jungkook decided to only focus on his food and the live drama next to him. He didn’t want to bother to start a conversation with her.

It’s strange. The woman didn’t open the sandwich wrap yet. People usually started to eat as soon as they sat down. Jungkook didn’t want to pay attention to her but he couldn’t help because he sat on the same table. While he was thinking about why she didn’t eat, she suddenly put something in front of Jungkook. It’s a business card. Jungkook looked at it then looked at the woman. The woman then introduced herself and said she was from SN Entertainment, a popular artist agency. She said she wanted to cast Jungkook to became a trainee. He had caught her attention and wanted to scout him to become their trainee.

Jungkook got surprised as he never got that kind of offer before. He said he couldn’t dance and sing so he didn’t want to become an idol. The woman just smiling when she heard it. There was no disappointment on her face but the opposite her smile getting brighter. She was then persuading him to try to come to their audition on Saturday. It’s okay if he can’t dance and sing well. They will train him. The woman kept on talking and Jungkook didn’t have a chance to cut her. He hates to admit but this woman was so great doing her job. His heart secretly wavering. He seems to fell into her persuasive words that made him thought it cost him nothing to go to the audition. But, lucky for him that thought suddenly gone as he saw his watch.

It’s almost time for the next class. Now, he had a solid reason to reject her so he didn’t hesitate to cut her talk. Fortunately, the woman could understand and let him go back to his class. But, before he left, she reminded him again about the audition and if he was interested, he should inform her through the contact that was written on her business card. Jungkook just nodded and quickly grabbed the tray and left the table. Because he was in a hurry, he bumped into a girl when he was about to throw the sandwich wrapper and the paper cup. He was about to apologize but she did it first. Jungkook then let her throw her trash first. He looked at his watch and quickly threw the garbage and running towards the cram school.

The last period finally ended. Jungkook felt really exhausted. He bent his neck to the left and right to did some stretching. He also yawning countless times on his way to the bus station. He was so tired and sleepy that what’s on his mind now was to get home as quickly as possible. It seems like his long day won’t finish that quickly. Right before he reached the bus station, he turned around and walked away from it. Again. It’s the fourth time Jungkook met her. The number one person he wished he didn’t see. Park Chaeyoung.

It seems like what people said was true. When you hate something and tried to avoid it, the world seems to play a prank on you. The more you want to avoid it, the more you keep finding it. And, it applied to Jungkook. It’s already the third time he met her. First was on the bus on his way to cram school. They made eye contact but she quickly ignored him. Second, when he bumped into her when he was about to throw the trash on the sandwich restaurant. Not enough with that, now he saw her again at the bus station. He cursed his unlucky day but he then took its back because at least he didn’t have to go to the same class as her. Jungkook couldn’t imagine how irritating it was. Seeing her pretending they didn’t know each other was already irritating enough.

Afraid he would get more tired if he saw her “I don’t know you” acting, he decided to go to the convenience store. Jungkook stood in front of the noodles’ rack and had a hard time to choose which cup noodle he wanted to eat. He decided to eat a cup of noodles before going back to the bus station so that he had enough time to wait until she took the bus. After a long thought, Jungkook decided to choose the spicy cheese flavored one then headed to the beverage section.

“Oh, Jeon Jungkook!” someone called his name so he turned his head towards the source of the voice. His eyes went wide when he saw who was the one who called him. It’s her.

“Buying a noodle? Don’t you have dinner in the cafe before?” she talked in a friendly way that made him scrunched his forehead. She then continued talking about the new flavored ramen that he should try. Still in a friendly manner as if they were known each other for years. Jungkook didn’t respond to her. He just staring with a weird expression.

“What’s with her? Does she have multiple personalities disorder? It’s just a few hours ago she acted like she didn’t know him at all. And now, what’s with this sudden change of attitude? Why she suddenly got so friendly?” that’s was what was going on inside Jungkook’s head. Having her acting like they were stranger was far more convenient than her trying to become friendly. This sudden change of attitude made him scared. He even wondered whether she had a twin sister.

Jungkook was still dazed when she suddenly walked away to take the phone call. It seems like her brother was finally arrived to pick her up, that’s what he got when he heard what she says. Once she ended the call, she said goodbye to Jungkook and said to meet again next time. Jungkook stared confusedly at her while holding his noodle and cola. He was too shocked to respond so that he just stood there looking like a fool.

***

It’s the second-week Jungkook went to the cram school. Today, the first period was history. Jungkook almost bumped his head on the table because he couldn’t open his eyes. The sleepiness was too heavy so that he decided to took a break and went to the toilet to wash his face. After he clears his head, he went out of the toilet and passing through the lobby and saw a vending machine. Lucky for him because he had some money in his pocket. He inserted some coins then waiting for his coffee to be served while two girls wearing different uniforms were coming back from the toilet and had a conversation.

“Mira is crazy. She still collecting money by selling that holy notebook to our junior. I feel bad for the owner,”

“Right, she needs to stop. It’s rude. I can’t imagine how the owner would feel if she knew about it. By the way, my cousin said she met the owner of the book! Well, she isn’t really sure though, because she didn’t say anything. But she is most likely the real one because she lends my cousin the notebook and didn’t charge her any penny!”

“What? Seriously?”

“Yup! I saw her earlier and she really doesn’t look like what I imagined! I thought she must be a nerd bookworm but what the hell she is hella gorgeous. She looks like someone who comes from a rich family so I guess she really doesn’t take any penny from the seller. Mira is too much. She can go to jail for breaking the copyright,”

Jungkook took his coffee then sat down on the nearest couch. He didn’t know why but ever since he came to this cram school, he developed a new hobby. Eavesdropping on someone else’s conversation. It’s quite fun because sometimes their stories were interesting. He even could find out about who the girl that the boy who sat next to him in the class had a crush on. When he heard about those two girls, he remembered about the ponytail and shorthaired girl from the sandwich restaurant.

While Jungkook was enjoying his coffee and took a short break from class, his foot accidentally stepped on something beneath the coach. He looked at it and took it with his free hand. It’s a book, well not an actual book because it’s just a copy. He turned the first page and saw the name of the owner written on the very top of the page along with the familiar rose drawing that made him sighed. He read the material and it seems like material from second grade. There was no doubt it was Chaeyoung’s book. But since it was a copy so it belonged to someone else. Jungkook put the book back to its place because he thought the owner might tracing where he or she went to found that book. By putting it in the original place, it could be easier for the owner to find it.

The quiet lobby suddenly losing its peace as a ponytail girl were coming and asked the receptionist whether someone found her notebook. It seems like nobody found that book. The girl looked so desperate. She then walked towards the vending machine near the couch where Jungkook was sitting. Once she stood in front of the machine, she called her friends and telling her she didn’t found the book. She then talked about how she got so furious about losing the notebook because it was expensive. Jungkook remembered her. She was the one he met at a sandwich restaurant! Jungkook moved his foot about to took the notebook and asked her whether it was hers or not, but then he stopped as he heard her conversation.

“Seriously the owner of the notebook is too much. My friends said she looks like she is from a rich family. Akh, how can she charge money for it? Won’t she just lend it for free? It’s a good thing to share knowledge though. Ah, I got so furious now,”

Jungkook finished his last sip of coffee then throw the paper cup to the trash bin. He unconsciously glared at the girl and right after the girl noticed she was being glared at, Jungkook left the lobby and back to his class. The girl saw him with a strange looked on her face. She then continued talking and sat down on the couch Jungkook sat before.

“I look everywhere but I can’t find it! What? Start looking from the place near me? Well, I sat in this lobby before the class start but, the receptionist said no one finds that book yet. What? Try to look under the couch?” the ponytail girl looked at her feet but then she lifted her head.

“I don’t think it would be there. It’s strange. Why would my book go under the couch? Well, unless someone is hating me and kick it under the coach,”

***

The bell rang and Jungkook quickly got out of the classroom. Consuming caffeine made his stomach growl louder than usual. This hunger made him couldn’t concentrate on the last minute of the lesson. The growling from his stomach made his feet walked twice faster. He arrived at the sandwich restaurant in no time. He was so hungry that made him thought he could be passed out. But, before he entered the restaurant, he quickly turned around and walked away. The woman from SN Entertainment was there. He didn’t want to get pestered so he decided to find another restaurant. He rubbed his tummy as his way to apologize and told his stomach to be patient because he almost arrived at the fried chicken restaurant.

His mouth already salivating even before he entered the restaurant. His sense of smell was getting stronger when he was hungry and the fried chicken smell was so tempting. When he opened the restaurant door, his eyes were scanning the room trying to find the shorter queue.

CRAP! Jungkook cursed as his eyes were meeting with the number one person he wanted to avoid. The girl saw him but then threw her face away as if she didn’t see anything. Seeing her attitude made Jungkook got pissed off. He wanted to find another restaurant because he felt irritated but his pride made him stay. He wanted to showed that he didn’t get bothered by her as he thought she was nothing.

After his order was served, Jungkook was busy looking for an empty chair. Lucky! He found someone just left and he quickly occupied the bar table. On the next table, he saw unfinished food and a textbook written in English. He smirked and joking to himself. It must be funny if the one who sat next to him was her. Jungkook laughs at his own thought while unwrapped his big double cheeseburger.

The old people said it’s not good to say something we unwanted because the word we uttered is a pray. And that’s what happened to Jungkook. His joke came true but somehow it’s did not feel funny at all. She pulled the chair then sat down. She put on her earphone, continued eating her fried chicken while reading the book. She acted so naturally, that made Jungkook thought she might not see him. But, that’s impossible! Jungkook didn’t want to lose so he also acted the same.

“Excuse me,” said a woman that looked like she was in the middle twenties to Jungkook. Jungkook looked at her and somehow, he felt like he just felt a déjà vu. This woman gave a similar vibe as the woman from SN Entertainment. Bingo! Jungkook cursed inside as the woman introduced herself as a talent scouter from JYV Entertainment, one of the popular singer agencies.

“Drrrt,” the sound of the chair being pulled was heard from the next table. From the tail of his eyes, Jungkook could tell Chaeyoung had finished her dinner and about to leave. Once again Jungkook cursed inside. Her actions today made him totally pissed off. She left at a crucial moment. In Jungkook’s eyes, it looked like she offered her table to the woman. And he was right. The moment she left, the woman moved and sat next to him. He took a deep breath and trying to accept his fate. At least he only needed to hear her talking and persuading him until he finished his burger.

It’s a tiresome and long day for Jungkook. History and chemical class, two subjects that he hates the most were put on the same day of his cram school schedule. He can’t complain but the purpose of the cram school is to help you on the subject you were weak on. Jungkook didn’t feel to stay longer in this class so he walked forward and took a picture of the whiteboard so that he could write it at home. Jungkook packed his bag and in the light steps walked towards the bus station.

The bus station was still empty. Of course, students tend to spend their time longer in the class because they wanted to discuss with their friends or even copying notes. But, what’s more, important for Jungkook was Chaeyoung wasn’t there. It will be his unlucky day if he met her once again.

“You are early,” said someone who just arrived. Jungkook who was busy reading the comment under his soccer club’s senior reunion didn’t realize that word was said to him.

“What makes you so serious?” the girl asked him again and this time Jungkook noticed her because she moved her head to see Jungkook’s phone. Jungkook saw her with an annoyed face.

“Here she goes again. This weird attitude. Should I ignore her? No, but it will make me lose because I can’t play along with her confusing attitude. She might get happy if I lose my cool. Right, Jeon Jungkook let’s show her that you are the cool one here,” Jungkook was busy talking to himself before he decided what will he do to her.

“Oh, I’m looking at my senior’s reunion pictures. It’s so funny, the comments,” Jungkook tried to sound friendly but he secretly observing her reaction. He wanted to know if she got surprised by his action.

“Hahaha it seems so,” she responded without any change in her expression. She wasn’t surprised at Jungkook’s friendliness and it made him angry.

“So, you are going home alone, tonight? Jin Hyung won’t pick you up, right? Since he also attending the reunion,” Jungkook tried to keep the conversation so that he could find the reason why she approached him.

A smirk showed on Jungkook’s face as he saw her face changed. Her eyes got widened but then it’s shaking. This time, she only gave a nodded to respond to his question. After that, she didn’t say anything. I won. Jungkook was happy because it seems like he could finally knock her down. Right after that, his bus was coming and without saying goodbye, he got on the bus. When he sat down, he checked her through the window and she still looking at him and then unexpectedly she smiled. But, not a genuine smile, it’s an awkward smile. Her expression was also strange. That expression wasn’t new to him. He felt like he already saw it before. But, when? Jungkook shook his head and decided to not think about it. What’s important was he won tonight.

It took around 20 minutes to his home, so to spend that time, Jungkook decided to watch some fun content on video channels. While waiting for the ads to come to an end, Jungkook was plugging the earphone and put it on his ear. Now, he was ready to watch but the video wasn’t ready yet as there was another advertisement he should watch because he couldn’t skip it. He watched the first 5 seconds of the advertisement but strangely, he didn’t push the skip button. The advertisement was very interesting it’s about how to help the woman who got ually harassed in the public place. When he was watching he remembered Namjoon’s story. He said his Mom got so fired up on the ual harassment case. And when she was working on that case, she kept telling Namjoon to help educate his male friends and helps his female friends if they were facing the same case.

Started from that advertisement, Jungkook then found and watched another video of how to recognize the sign of a woman who seeks help, either when they got harassed or when they got followed. One of the signs, when they were being followed, they suddenly blended into the crowd or trying to start a conversation with someone so that the stalker would think she wasn’t alone.

Started a conversation with someone so that the stalker would think she wasn’t alone. That sentences kept on repeating in Jungkook’s head.

“It can’t be, right. No, of course not. She just being strange and just want to irritate me. Right, she hates me and even told me to retreat from the study group. But, it’s strange. Why she only acted as she knows me whenever she is about to go home… That’s expression… I know it might be just my distorted memory, but that time when she saw a dog. She also got stiffed and wary. No, it can’t be right. Jeon Jungkook, don’t think too much about it. It’s because you just watch that video that makes your mind thinking that way. No, she is fine. There is a lot of people there. Yes… She is fine… She is gonna be fine…”

“No… Jeon Jungkook. She is not fine."