Begin Again

Excuse Me?

Finishing breakfast with no appetite was as terrible as want to sleep but couldn’t. It had been two days since Yerin began to live like that. She stayed up all night and only slept for around 3 hours a day in the morning. Her head felt so heavy but she still helped her Mom to wash the dishes. At least, she could distract her thought to something else. After drying her hands with a towel, she back to her room, hoping she would get at least one hour of sleep. The Full stomach was effective to become a sleeping pill. Slowly she got drowsy. While she was on the sleep-not-sleep phase she was regretting and questioning why she loves to drank caffeine to stay awake at night. All this time she was being ungrateful because she forgot how nice it felt to be able to sleep when the sky is dark.

The phone was ringing. She heard it but decided to ignore it because she was too sleepy. Sleep was more important than the phone call. While she was adjusting her consciousness to back to sleep she could hear someone entering her room. But once again, she didn’t care.

“Mom put it down! Give it back to Yerin. She will angry if you play with her phone!” the nagging voice made Yerin awake. Although the voice was almost as loud as whispers since she was sensitive to noise, she could hear it well and it disturbs her. With bury vision, she saw her Mom was trying to take her phone from her Grandmother.

“Look, she is awake because of us. Mom, please give it back to her,” her Mom still trying to persuade her Grandma to give the phone back. Yerin looked at her Grandma who looked annoyed and told her Mom to let her play with it and bring it out. Her Mom gave up and went out. She then came back again bringing her phone. She gave her phone to Grandma and put Yerin’s phone beside her pillow.

“Your phone is ringing non-stop. You should check it out. Mom, let’s go play in the living room. Come on,” her Mom told Yerin who already back to sleep then guide Grandma out of the room.

It’s such a nuisance to check on the phone so she just ignored it. But, in less than 5 minutes she couldn’t do it anymore. She took her phone to see who the annoying guy that kept calling her in the morning. It’s Sowon. She canceled her anger and picked it up. As soon as she knew what’s the purpose of the call was, the sleepiness vanished to the air. She told Sowon to not end the call because she was about to check her chat application.

“Hey! Sorry for bothering you in the early morning. I’d like to invite you to come to this location this evening. Please inform me if u can spend some time. Thank u,” Yerin read it with disbelief. She back to the phone call and told Sowon she got the invitation too. They both were very relieved as they finally could see the bright end of this situation. Sowon also told Yerin that she already told Eunha about their conversation last night. She told Yerin that it’s better to never mention about the group chat as it could hurt Chayeoung even more. Yerin agreed and decided to bury it. Although they said they buried it down, they each knew it was never forgotten. It was a very valuable experience they had to make them a better person in the future.

Waiting for the time of the appointment seemed to be so long for Yerin. She couldn’t wait to meet Chaeyoung. She missed her so much. Besides, she had a lot of things to explain. Finally, the time had come. Yerin dressed up prettily as if she was about to meet a boyfriend that she didn’t have. She opened the door quietly and peeping from the gap. She didn’t see her Grandmother. It seems like she was taking a nap. Without making any sounds Yerin got out from her bedroom and quickly walked to the front door. She took her shoes, got out of the house and wearing her shoes outside. Before she left the house, she sent a message to her Mom to inform her she was out to meet some friends.

Yerin was surprised when she arrived at the location. She thought it will be a café or restaurant but it turns out to be an apartment building. She entered the building, climbed the stairs and looking for the door number that was written on the message. Standing in front of the door, she hesitantly pressed the bell. The door was opened and she was greeted by Chaeyoung with a bright smile. Chaeyoung told her to come in and as soon as she took off her shoes, Chayeoung asked about what she wants to drink. Yerin smiled and answered she will drink anything she prepared.

Yerin put her shoes on the shelf and walked towards the living room. It might be her new house but it’s so tiny for four people to live. While she was wondering how bad her family bankruptcy affected her life, Chaeyoung came with a glass of ice citrus tea and a paper bag. She put the glass on the table and gave Yerin the bag. She said it was a souvenir she bought when she went to Jeju. Yerin accepted it with excitement but deep inside her heart, she felt so guilty. How did she still buy her a gift when she already knew what she did to her?

After handing the gift to Yerin, Chaeyoung was back to the kitchen to prepare the snacks and more drinks for other guests. Yerin was sitting in silence didn’t know what to do. She wanted to initiate conversation but hesitate because all the topics she planned to say suddenly disappeared from her memory.

“How’s your holiday? Is it great?” Chaeyoung’s question made Yerin jumped in shock. Luckily Chaeyoung didn’t see that. She then answered casually. She tried to sound natural but actually, anyone could tell it sounds like she just met her for the first time. In other words, it’s awkward. God bless Yerin because the bell was ringing. It was the happiest moment in her life since she arrived at this house. Sowon and Yerin came together. They said they met at the bus station.

Chaeyoung was repeating what she did when Yerin arrived, gave the drinks and the gifts. She then went back to the kitchen and returned with some bowls of snacks. She sat together with her friends and told them to eat the snacks and drink the ice tea.

“Woah, it’s so refreshing. The weather is too hot today,” Sowon tried to break the ice after drink half of the ice tea.

“Sorry for making you guys come all the way here in this hot weather,” Chaeyoung’s unexpected reaction made Yerin almost chocked on the chips and made Eunha staring at Sowon with a deadly stare.

“Hahaha don’t worry. It’s not a big deal. Anyway, how’s your holiday? Is that great? As for me, the holiday has always been a great time,” Sowon tried to make up her mistake but it seems like she just made it worst as Eunha and Yerin were warning her with their eyes.

“Mine is not really that good,” Eunha tried to recover the mistake by taking over the conversation.

“Yeah, me too. How about you, Chaeng? Did you spend a good time in Jeju?” Yerin helped with throwing the question to Chaeyoung.

“Yeah. I did. And you, what are you doing during your holiday?” Chaeyoung asked Yerin’s back.

The first 10 minutes were just them talking about their activities during the holiday. And right after they finished telling about it, they fell into a silent mode. Chaeyoung broke the silence and tell them to eat more snacks. The three obediently followed the order then grabbing the snacks and eat it silently. All of them didn’t have any idea what should they say so they just eat it in silence. It’s so quiet until they could hear the sound of them cracking the chips with their teeth.

“Pffft…,” the sounds of someone who tried to hold laughter made each of them was curious. Their eyes were looking for the source of the sounds.

“Pffftt… teuhhaahaa... TEUHAAAAHAHHAAHAHA!!!” Chaeyoung couldn’t hold her laugh anymore. Laughing so hard made Chaeyoung couldn’t sit straight. She fell down on the sofa while holding her ache stomach. The three who witnessed her crazy laugh looked at each other eyes and couldn’t hold their laughter too. People said laughter was contagious and it was right.

“Haaah… haah… it’s so funny… huft… huft… It’s so awkward that … huft… huft… made me feels like… I was on a blind date… ha.ha.haaa haa uhuk uhuk… aargh, my stomach ache.. hahahaha…,” in the middle of laughing, Chaeyoung was trying to talk and it cost her a big effort to said it.

“Hahahaha you are right! It’s so hahaha it’s so frustratingly awkward that made me want to escape this room quickly,” Eunha was leaning on the sofa while busily wipe her tears.

“I swear to God, this is the most awkward situation I ever had in my life!!!” Yerin’s answer made they were laughing again because it was exactly what they had in their mind. Sowon who was lying on the floor couldn’t even say a single word since she was dying on laughter.

Laughing too much made them tired and thirsty. As a good host, Chaeyoung realized it and back to the kitchen to make a jug of ice citrus tea. She filled in the empty glassed and in no time they emptied it again.

“Ahem… hemm…,” Chaeyoung cleared out to find her voice back. was still dry so she took the glass again and emptied it before she speaks.

“That’s such a great comedy. I don’t know we have talent as a comedian. Well, anyway I want to say thank you for coming. I think you guys already know the purpose of this invitation. So umm… before I begin, I’d like to apologize to you all because it took me so long to apologize. At first, I want to let it slide and let the time to heal everything. Some people say there is no sorry between true friends because they just let it away. But I think it’s wrong. So, I want to apologize and clear these things up. Ah right! First of all, I need your corporation. Please don’t cut it when I speak. If you have any questions please save it until I finish,” Chaeyoung spoke her opening speech.

“Wait, do you want to give an explanation or want to hold a presentation? Hahaha…” Yerin was laughing at Chaeyoung’s request. The other two were also laughing after hearing that rules.

“Don’t tell me you also preparing a PPT (read: PowerPoint)?” Sowon asked out of curiousness.

“Hehehe no I don’t. I just wrote down some points so that I won’t miss anything,” Chaeyoung’s answer made them left speechless. They wondered whether all the smart people always doing it like her. She was always well prepared even for something that seems so trivial.

After hearing everyone’s agreement with the rule, Chaeyoung started the confession time. She opened it with the story of her family, the bankruptcy, living separately from her parents and about her working part-time. Now as they heard about it, they started to understand why she didn’t attend Sowon’s grandma's funeral and why she often rejected their invitation to hanging out.

The next topic was about Jin. She wanted to explain about him because they were mistaken Jin as her boyfriend but actually Jin was her real cousin. Although she had relatives who lived in Seoul, Jin was the one who lived the closest. That’s why he was taking the role of Chaeyoung and her brother’s guardian. He lived his role very well but sometimes he went overboard because he was way too protective. One of the things that showed his overprotectiveness was the obligation to set the phone wallpaper with the picture of them together. He said it was to prevent men from flirting with her especially in her workplace. The other thing that showed his overprotectiveness was set the GPS track on the phone, pick her up from work if it’s passed 10 PM and many more.

There was one thing that Jin hadn’t accomplished, meet up with Chaeyoung’s friends. Why did he want to meet them? Because he thought he had an obligation to know about Chaeyoung’s life in the school. Jin was the type who was very detailed. He had to know even the smallest detail. People who not used to his micromanage habit would find it extremely annoying. She didn’t want to introduce Jin to them because she was afraid if she was managed to escape from Jin’s interrogation session, he will ask them instead. The question about where, when and with who might sound frivolous, but she ensured them it might turn into disastrous.

It’s better to prevent than to heal. To avoid any unfortunate event in the future caused by Jin, Chaeyoung decided to never mention him. Chaeyoung knew very well her friends most likely won’t believe her if she told them about him. Moreover, Jin had that special charm that made people hardly refuse him. It was hard to believe but even until now, she insisted to not introduce him to them.

Chaeyoung ticked the box of the list that she wrote on her phone whenever she finished talking about it. When she saw the next list she was smiling at Yerin. The next topic on the list was Kim Mingyu. She began the story with how she met Mingyu. She told the exact same story as Mingyu and it made Yerin embarrassed. That time when she saw Chaeyoung brought Mingyu’s fan that she bought on the final match, she was kind of mad. What was the real reason that made her kept it as a secret? Did they were dating each other? Did she like him?

“I think I am not really that close with him to the point I can freely introduce my friend to him. Well, we are just simply an acquaintance. I am Sorry Yerin, I just feel uncomfortable enough to do that. You know that I am shy around new people. I hope for your understanding,” Chaeyoung seemed to know Yerin was dying to know the reason she kept it a secret from her. Yerin about to give a comment but she remembered the rule. So, she tried so hard to keep shut.

Chaeyoung read the next list. Finally, the two hardest parts left. She wrote the list based on her memory on that day. The main topic that causing their friendship to shaken. This time she should be clearing up the misunderstanding between her and Eunha. It’s the hardest because she should tell the spin-off story. It was no other than the story of her crush. She stared at Eunha and admitted she indeed made notes. But, she gave it to someone else as a present. The person was someone Eunha might already know who. Yerin and Sowon were sensing something were not right. They filed an objection using their faces. They looking at Chaeyoung and talked with their eyes.

“I first saw him when I worked part-time in the café. I don’t know him personally. I just know his name because one day he came with his friends and one of them happened to call him. He caught my attention because… yeah, he is handsome and… I don’t have a certain ideal type but his appearance suits my taste. Oh gosh, it sounds so nasty. Hihihi…

“Well, honestly, I was going to tell you guys about him when I completely have no idea who he actually was. But I end up didn’t do it because one day he suddenly got so popular and everyone in our school literally know about him. Yes. He was the captain of the soccer team that our cheerleaders were rooting for. It felt like my little secret suddenly revealed to the world. Besides, everyone said he was dating Nayeon, right? That’s why I decided to end my crush on him and not telling you because it’s already over.

“But then… Like a storm that came and me in the middle of the day, I had a crazy thought. That time I had to quit my job and I thought I won’t meet him again. So, I decided to give him a gift like the other girls. I can’t afford an expensive gift so I decided to give something cheap but meaningful. I am not really good at making any crafty things so I decided to make something that I am good at. Taking notes. That’s how the idea was born.

“His popularity wasn’t a bad thing though. He got many fans so it encourages me to give the gift directly. He won’t remember me anyway so why not? Then I give to him. I don’t know whether he accepts it or not because once I gave it to him, I ran away. It seems like he accepted it because Eunha saw him bringing my book,” Chaeyoung finished her first love story as quickly as possible. Of course, she was hiding some parts because she didn’t want to make Jungkook look bad in front of her friends. She just thought it was unethical. Moreover, she promised Jungkook to kept it as a secret.

The other three seemed to want to hear more about this cute short love story but Chaeyoung decided to move on to the next topic. The last one was crucial. It might offend one of them but she already decided last night. She won’t hide this matter anymore. She had a right to know about the truth although she already over it. She took a deep sigh and read the sentences she wrote on her notes. Last night she tried so hard to write this speech.

“I heard there was a rumor going around that someone is selling my notebook at a high price. I think it is just a groundless rumor because who on earth wants to buy notes with that price? Yeah, I didn’t believe it until I saw it with my two eyes. A stranger was walking around bringing my notebook. I don’t want to lie to you all. Honestly, when I saw it I got so disappointed even though I don’t know about the truth. I am so curious but I was a coward so I don’t dare to ask,” Chaeyoung purposely didn’t mention Eunha’s name because she didn’t want to accuse her. She wanted to hear the confession from her own mouth.

“It’s me!” Eunha and Yerin shouted together. They were surprised so did Chaeyoung. Sowon didn’t know anything about that so she just watched their friends getting confused. They didn’t continue because they thought they still need to follow the rule. Chaeyoung then permitted them to speak as she finished with her confession.

Yerin let Eunha speak first. Eunha admitted she lend it to one of her middle school friend that went to the same cram school. Not long after she saw the 10th-grade student on that cram school bringing the same copied notebook. She saw that book and realized it was copied from hers. The name on the copy was Jung Eunha, not Park Chaeyoung because she scratched Chaeyoung’s name. She did that not because she wanted to make the book seems like it was written by her. She did it because one day the book was gone missing and nobody knew it was her book because the name was Park Chaeyoung. Since that day, to avoid the same situation she changed the name.

“But you are not the one who sells it,” Sowon made a conclusion.

“No, but it must be because of me,” Eunha looked so sorry. She thought this won’t happen if she didn’t carelessly lend the book to her friend.

“It must be because of me. I borrowed the book from Eunha and copy it for me. My friend saw the book and asked me whether she could copy it. I didn’t mind because it’s usual for students to exchange good material. But that day, I need the book because of the quiz so I promised her I will copy it for her. I indeed charging money for the copy fee and service fee but I swear I didn’t have any intention to sell it. Only if I know it will turn out like this, I just let her copy it herself. I am sorry. If you are curious I will ask her and find the culprit who sells it without your consent! You can trust me!” just like Eunha, Yerin also deeply sorry because her recklessness causing bigger trouble.

Chaeyoung saw their apologetic faces and it made her felt bad. She smiled and told them the real reason she asked about it to clear out the misunderstanding. She was no longer mad. It’s the opposite. She consulted this problem with her Mom and her Mom said to not get angry. She supposed to be happy because she was able to share her knowledge. She was just sad because the untrusted party uses it for their advantage. Now, rather than happy she was mad because it was getting commercialized. She wanted to make it free. Hearing it made Eunha and Yerin could breathe in ease. They now weren’t doubted Chaeyoung’s kindness. She was genuinely kind.

This finally time for the QnA session. Yerin raised her hand first. She asked why she couldn’t be reached for the last two days. Chaeyoung was laughing out loud when she heard it. She said when she helped her grandpa on the farm her phone was fell to the pig manure. It was broke because she cleaned it on the water. She only could fix it once she got back to Seoul so that’s why it was dead.

“Why don’t you tell us about your family? Honestly, I was so shocked when you tell us about it. I feel like I am a …,” this time was Sowon’s turn to ask.

“No, you are not. You guys not bad friends. Actually, the reason is kind of embarrassing. You know I was raised in a well off family, right? I used to have a glamorous lifestyle. Changing a lifestyle is not an easy thing to do. Let’s say you want to go on a diet. You just can’t suddenly eat one meal a day. You need a process. You should gradually decrease the amount of food. You know I love food, I love make-up, I love fashion and all of those things need money. I am aware I can’t do those things. Even if I go to the shopping mall I feel really bad. I have an internal conflict. I always thought it is wrong to be here looking and longing for those things when my parents are working hard to earn money. It’s better to stay at home so I won’t grow that desire. But, on the other side, I am afraid if I will get stress if I can’t do those things.

“There is one thing that can ease my heart from feeling guilty. It’s hanging out with you guys. I kept convinced myself it’s okay to go there because you just got invited. If I am not going, it will make you guys sad so it’s okay as long as I am not spending much money on it. I know it’s just an excuse. An excuse that I made to make me appeared less guilty. That’s the only option I could think of at that time. So, if I tell you I am afraid I will lose my one and only reason. That’s because I know you guys are very considerate. You might feel it’s unethical to bring me out and enjoy expensive food.

“I am sorry for being selfish and use you guys for my own greed,” once again Chaeyoung apologized. She couldn’t even remember how many times she said sorry today.

Eunha relieved by let out a big sigh. Everyone was laughing at her deep sigh. She was embarrassed and said she was happy after hearing it. She thought Chaeyoung was afraid they will abandon her if they know she wasn’t as rich as before.

“You watch too much drama. Hahaha… But, actually, I have the same thought. Hahahaha…,” Sowon was laughing and followed by the other three. Confession might be hard but they were feeling so relieved after its end. When they were laughing, Yerin suddenly raised her hand asking for everyone’s attention. Shyly she told them about her meeting with Mingyu then showed the picture they took together. She also thanked Chaeyoung for mentioning her name because Mingyu remembered! He said he didn’t know her but he remembered her name. She got noticed by her idol and it made her extremely happy. The girls were happy and congratulate her.

“Ah, there is another thing. Hey Eunha, I am sorry because I make you angry all the time because I always late. Hearing Chaeyong’s confession makes me want to confess it too. Honestly, my Grandma is having dementia. It is getting worse nowadays and now, she thinks she is a child. There is one thing that she always does whenever she sees me or other family members well dressed. She wants to tag along or she will cry. So, if I got caught, I have to persuade and convinced her I am not going anywhere. It will take longer depending on her mood,” Yerin looked sad when she talked about her Grandma. She realized she brought the atmosphere down so she quickly smiled and told them she was okay.

Feeling responsible to bring the mood down, Yerin took her glass and held it in the air. She told the other to do the same thing because they should do a toast to celebrate this day. Everyone was holding their glass and they stood up. One by one they shout out their wish for their friendship and end it with a toast. As they drink the tea and eat the snacks, they were thinking the same thing. Everyone had their own problem that they couldn’t say. Sometimes it could lead to misunderstanding unless the other party could be more sensitive and considerate. Of course, they had a right to know in order to understand better, but sometimes it’s better to give in and accept it. The time will come someday when they are able to speak. So, just be patient.

The sun was about to set when Chaeyoung sent off her friends to the bus station. They want Chaeyoung to have enough rest because she just arrived in Seoul yesterday. When they were walking through the playground, a red car was honking. They were surprised at the sounds especially Chaeyoung. The car owner rolled down his window and it made Chaeyoung’s froze. It’s Jin. Jin smiled then greeted her friends. Since the situation became like this, she had no choice but to introduce her friends to him.

“You visited her? Woah, how lovely!! Anyway, have you guys eaten dinner yet?” Jin asked from inside the car.

“Not yet. But I think they should go home now. Right?” Chaeyoung looked at her friends with a frowning forehead and a little head shake.

“Oh come on! I should at least treat your friends because they came all the way here to visit you. I’d like to pay my gratitude for taking care of you too. Let’s go!” Jin put his head out of the window and looked at Yerin, Eunha, and Sowon with his sweetest smile. They hesitated because Chaeyoung kept sending the signal to not fall into his temptation.

“Please? I always want to meet you guys personally to relay my gratitude. I feel bad if I can’t do something good to Chaeyoung’s friends,” this time he changed his expression into a sad puppy look.

Chaeyoung closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Here it comes, Jin’s ultimate weapon. She bet they were already fallen to his trap.

“So, you guys agree? Let’s go! Chaeng what are you doing? Come in!” suddenly Jin made a conclusion although no one was saying anything. Chaeyoung looked at her friends once again. She gave up. It’s now up to her friends.

“Ehm… well, it will be impolite if we reject him so…,” Sowon represented them to talk. Chaeyoung couldn’t do anything. She just warned them to not blame her later.

“Seriously. When will this life lesson class end?”

“Chaengi-ya can’t you do something to stop him? TT His nagging even worse than my mom”

“Please ask him to stop questioning my fangirl life. It felt like I am about to be judged,”

“Just enjoy it gurls. HAHAHA... Girls, fighting!! (^o^)/”

Chaeyoung was smiling while reading the group chat. Her friends started to complain about Jin’s curiosity that turned out to be a motivation class. She sipped her smoothie then smiling while enjoying her friend’s get-me-out-of-here expression. She was looking at her friends while sending a message through her eyes. Don’t say I didn’t warn ya. Now, enjoy the lecture!

***

The season had changed. The fallen leaves were lying down on the street. The temperature gradually lowered down as the color of the leaves turned from green to brownish red. People started to wore their coat and scarf to protect their bodies from the chill wind. Jungkook put his hands on the uniform coat pocket to prevent his hands to get cold. He stood in front of the school gate and smiling brightly. He used to hate this place but he didn’t expect he really missed it so much. He looked at the time on the phone. It’s 7.30 AM in the morning. It’s his habit to come early on the first day of school after a long break.

“What are you doing there?” Teacher Kim stood up at the inner side of the gate. Jungkook looked at him, bowed and smiled. Teacher Kim reached out his hand and Jongkook shook it shyly. He congratulated him then gave him a light hug. Jungkook couldn’t hide his smile and thanked Teacher Kim.

Jungkook was smiling all the way to the class. He remembered how he used to have a bad relationship with Mr. Kim. It felt strange as he turned to be the closest teacher. Who said the bad incident could only bring sadness? If only that misunderstanding of false accusation didn’t happen, maybe he still hates him and didn’t have a chance to be what he was today.

Something heavy was suddenly clinging on his neck. It was Taehyung’s arm. He smiled and cried Taehyung’s name out loud. They were then yelling while hugging in the middle of the school front yard. In no time they were attracting people’s attention. Students who already arrived in the class opened the window to see what happens on the field. Suddenly everyone was chanted on Jungkook’s name. It made Jungkook embarrassed. Not long after, the chant had changed from only his name to another name. Jungkook looked behind and saw Namjoon was standing with a confused expression as he heard everyone chanting his name.

Dying in embarrassment Jungkook quickly left the yard to enter the school building. Taehyung was laughing at his behavior and it triggered him to more. He followed Jungkook and lifted his arms up and down and kept chanting on Jungkook and Namjoon’s name. He did that all the way to their class. The chaos made the teachers came out from their room and curious about what happened. They even walked to the stairs to saw the owner of the names. The teacher lined up on the hallway to greet and congratulated their two students.

Finally, after the unofficial ceremony in the hallway, Jungkook arrived in his classroom. He was sliding the door then got surprised at the whistle sounds. As he entered, the confetti was exploding and instead of him, it made Taehyung who stood behind him startled. There was a big congratulation message written on the board and his friends made a line up as if he was walking on the red carpet.

Jungkook caressed his back and wince in pain after he walked through the end of the human line up. Instead of shaking his hand, they congratulate him by hitting his back. Being away for almost one semester made him forgot he went to all-boy school. The way they congratulate him was a common thing to do at his school. It’s kind of painful yet he didn’t complain. After he received the last love hit, they came one by one to hug him.

“Trust me, the headmaster will announce through the speaker to gather all the students in the auditorium. You’ve better prepare your speech so that you won’t stutter on the stage later,” Jeonghan’s joke made all the boys laughing after Jungkook finished the ceremony.

“Ding dong ding dong ding dong ding dong…,” all the boys were suddenly quiet as the sound of announcement rang. All the eyes now on Jeonghan and it made him nervous.

“Good morning. This is headmaster speaking. To all the students please gather in the auditorium at 8.15. Thank you,”

“WOAAAAAAAAAAA” as soon as the announcement ended, the class turned into more chaotic. They were screaming and laughing as Jeonghan’s joke became real. But there was one person who didn’t smile at all. It’s Jungkook. He didn’t know what the gathering will be about but he was nervous just in case what Jeonghan said will come true.

It turned out what Jeonghan predicted was true. The headmaster gathered all students to have a congratulations ceremony for Jungkook and Namjoon. They both became the star on that day.

“Please welcome our honorable students Jeon Jungkook from class 3-6 and Kim Namjoon from class 2-1 to the stage,” headmaster ended his speech with inviting Jungkook and Namjoon to the stage.

Jungkook stood in the podium and gave his speech. He was so touched at the warm and great welcome from the school. He didn’t expect he would be welcomed like this because he couldn’t bring South Korea to become the champion on AFC U-19 Championship. His team only became the runner up. But he thanked all the teachers and friends especially his teammates who support him from the start till the end.

“IT’S OKAY!! YOU ARE COOL JEON JUNGKOOK!!! WE LOVE YOU!!!” someone from the audience shouted to cheer on him. It made a whole auditorium laugh.

“Nice saying. Thank you Boo Seungkwan. I love you too!! Meet me after school I’ve got something for you,” Jungkook’s way to handle that situation inviting the laughter from the audience. Seungkwan who didn’t expect Jungkook will recognize his voice was getting teased by his friends. Jungkook then wrapped his speech nicely by thanking his parents and encouraged his juniors to challenge themselves to do better than him.

Next was Namjoon’s turn. He said he was honored to get invited to stand on the stage although he didn’t participate in the match. He was only sitting on the bench during the tournament. He didn’t do much yet he received the same amount of love as Jungkook. He said next time he will practice harder and do his best. The headmaster had ended the ceremony after Namjoon’s speech and told the students to go back to their class.

“So, Mr. Runner Up, where is your treat? We are waiting for it,” asked Mingyu when they were having lunch at the school cafeteria.

“Today after school. How? Well… Namjoon will handle the babies so their share will be ours. Right?” Taehyun joined Mingyu as a debt collector.

“Don’t be impatient. I will treat you all but not today. I have something to do after school,” Jungkook smiled mysteriously.

“What is that thing? Is that more important than us?” Dokyeom got curious.

Jungkook only nodded and smiled which made their friends became more curious. While he eating his lunch, he suddenly remembered someone was missing. It’s Jaehyun. Thought about it again, he barely saw Jaehyun since he arrived at school. He only saw him once on the corridor on the way to the gathering.

“Where is Jaehyun?” Jungkook asked out of curiosity.

“Eat lunch at the class perhaps. Or maybe in the teacher room asking for a math solution,” Taehyung replied while took a piece of chicken fillet from Jungkook’s plate.

“You might be wondering why he was in the teacher’s room, right? For your information, Jaehyun is planning to take Suneung (CSAT) this year. That’s why he is studying like a crazy,” Mingyu seemed to read a confusion on Jungkook’s face. Hearing the news made Jungkook freeze. He was extremely surprised. He had been away for too long that he didn’t even know the most updated news.

“Surprised, huh? Yeah, me too. But, since its Jaehyun, then it’s not surprising. Nothing to worry about with that brain of him. Anyway, don’t be too sad. You still have us!! We planned to take the exam next year. We want to enjoy the rest of our high school life at its fullest so just worry about things later,” Dokyeom told Jungkook their future plan. Jungkook relieved because he wasn’t the only one who didn’t take the test this year. He felt like he still walking on the earth while their friends were on the moon in case of studying for the CSAT.

The school had finished and Jungkook couldn’t feel happier. He was having an intensive training on the camp to preparing for the tournament in the past three months. He practically didn’t learn anything at all. That’s why he was dozing off during the lesson. He guessed his brain was still trying to adapting. Remembering he had an appointment he quickly packed his bag and left the classroom as soon as possible.

Jungkook walked faster than usual to the school gate. Afraid he will bump into his friends who demanding a treat. But then he slowed down his speed as he remembered most of his friends were still staying at school to do self-studying. He might be the only 12th-grade student who went back home straight after the school ends. He decided to take his time and enjoying the school scenery that he missed a lot. Not far from where he walked, he saw Namjoon was walking ahead of him. He smiled then walked faster to catch him up.

“Hey! Going home?” Jungkook jumped to Namjoon’s side after successfully catch him up.

“Oh Hyung! Yeah, I feel like I still have some jet lag. So it’s best to have some rest. I can’t concentrate at all during the lesson. It’s bad because there are lots of lessons that I need to learn since I didn’t study at all during the training. The teacher only gives us a week to prepare for the midterm that we missed because of the match. I guess I won’t spend my night peacefully starting from now,” Namjoon’s tiredness and anxiety were clearly seen on his face. No wonder. They just arrived in Seoul last evening and had to go straight to school. Moreover, they should attend the midterm test since they missed it because of the tournament.

Namjoon’s phone was ringing and he excuses himself to pick it up. Jungkook nodded as a sign to permit him to take the call and not to be bothered by him. It seems like there was something wrong with Namjoon’s phone. Maybe it was the microphone because he suddenly put it on speaker. Although he lowered down the volume, Jungkook could still hear the other side’s voice. The tutor’s voice was somehow so familiar in his ears so without he realized, he kept listening to it. Although Jungkook knew it was rude to eavesdropping he still did it. It’s because even though he listened to it, he didn’t really understand since they were talking in English.

“I don’t know your tutor is a girl. Is she pretty?” Jungkook teased Namjoon right after he ended the phone call.

“How could you know she is my tutor?” Namjoon was surprised. Jungkook laughed and told him it was because they were speaking in English. Back in the training camp, Namjoon told about his tutor although he didn’t say the gender.

Jungkook couldn’t let this chance slip. He asked the same question again because Namjoon hadn’t given the answer yet. Instead of answering Jungkook’s question, Namjoon began a new topic. He said he was concerned about Jungkook’s midterm so he offered to help. His tutor wrote well-written notes and he will ask her to copy it for him.

“I just asked one question but why are you suddenly talk about me?” Jungkook thought Namjoon purposely dodge the question because he didn’t want to get teased.

“Whether she is pretty or not, you are still going to our school and the rule still applies to you. So, back to the topic, do you want it or not?” Namjoon’s responds made Jungkook admitted his loss. Talking with smart people was different. It’s Jungkook who supposed to but he successfully twisted it.

Now it was Jungkook who erased that topic as if he never said it. Jungkook rejected the offer because he didn’t want to bother Namjoon nor his tutor.

“Hyung, trust me. You need it. Your brain is… Well, I know very well about your capacity. So, just accept it. Don’t worry she is very generous when it comes to knowledge. I am gonna ask her and give the copy to you,” Namjoon sincerely concerned about Jungkook. Jungkook smiled. Although they were closer now, his knife-like word was still alive. He didn’t get offended because of the fact, he just sad because what he said was true.

They both arrived at the bus station. From the schedule board, Jungkook could see Namjoon’s bus will come shortly. There was something that kept bugging his mind but hesitated to ask Namjoon. He was curious about the tutor. It felt like he knew her but he wasn’t sure since he couldn’t recall.

“Do I know her?” Jungkook decided to ask because he couldn’t hold his curiosity anymore.

“Who? My tutor? Well… Emm… I don’t think so. Why?” Namjoon got off guard when he heard his question. He wasn’t sure whether Jungkook knew about her. But one thing for sure, she knew him.

“No, it’s just… I think I can accept your offer. And… I just thought if I know her it might be less awkward. Well, it’s just a dumb question. Of course, I don’t know her. I don’t have female friends especially a university student,” Jungkook realized his question just made him looked stupid so he regretted it right away. Thank God, it was Namjoon. At least Namjoon already knew he wasn’t really smart.

Namjoon just smiled when he heard it. He thought he didn’t have to explain the tutor's identity. Before he rode on the bus, Namjoon said he will hand the book as soon as possible. Jungkook thanked him and told him to be careful on his way home. His fact bomb might be hard to hear but he actually just an innocent and kind boy.

On his ride to his appointment, Jungkook was reminiscing about the past year. Everything still felt like a dream. He didn’t expect he would join the Seoul National Team for National High School Tournament. Together with Namjoon, Mingyu, and Dokyeom, they brought the trophy home. After watching their brilliant performance on the final, the coach of the national team for the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) U-19 Championship invited them to join the selection. Surprisingly Jungkook and Namjoon able to passed the tight selection. They had to compete against all talented athletes all over South Korea. That was the beginning of his close relationship with Namjoon. They were so close that Jungkook let Namjoon called him Hyung rather than sunbae. Of course, he did that outside of school. Their bond got even stronger when Namjoon was selected as the next captain.

The weather was getting colder when it was darker. Jungkook got off of the bus and sat down on the bench. He took his earphone and put it on his ears. After checked on the surrounding for a second, he decided to get away from there quickly. Although he tried to walk with his head up, he couldn’t hide his embarrassment. Thanks to the earphone at least he could gain a bit confident. But, that wasn’t last long. The further he walked the heavier his steps got.

Trying to not be bothered by the eyes of the girls in uniform, he kept on walking. Finally, after the unusual long walk, he arrived at his destination. The neighbor all-girls high school. Just focus on the music, focus on the music. He kept hypnotizing his brain so that he won’t think about that stare.

“I arrived. I will be waiting in the front gate,” Jungkook sent the text while standing not far from the front gate. He put his phone in his pocket but he took it out again. He couldn’t bear being the center of attention so he used his phone to distract his mind. It’s so embarrassing standing at the front gate of all-girl high school. No matter how loud the volume on his earphone was he couldn’t stop overthinking about that stare. What does that boy doing in this school? Why is he here? Does that guy wait for his girlfriend? Who is his girlfriend? He looked so pathetic waiting on the front gate like that.

“Sorry I still have a meeting. Can you please wait a bit longer? It will finish soon,” Jungkook was reading the reply and sighing. He didn’t have a choice but to wait since he was the one who wanted to meet her. Ten minutes standing in the cold weather felt like half an hour. He began to stomping his feet and rubbing his hands. Should he go to the nearest store? But he told her he was waiting on the front gate. When he hesitated to go or not go to the store, his phone was ringing and he quickly picked it up.

“What are you doing in front of the school gate? People are talking about you!” said the one who called him.

“It’s nothing. I just…,” Jungkook was embarrassed because what he afraid of was real. Those girls were talking about him.

“Don’t worry, I will go get you. Don’t go anywhere I will be there in a minute,” said the girl on the phone then she quickly hanged up.

Jungkook was patiently for that girl to come and pick him. Of course, he took his ultimate weapon to avoid being awkward in public, his phone. He looked like he was playing with his phone but actually, his mind was busy wondering whether he was indeed popular in that school. How come the students were able to recognize him?

“Excuse me, are you waiting for Chaeyoung?” Jungkook took his eyes off of the phone when he heard someone was talking to him.

“Ah, no… Actually, it’s Nayeon but… Chaeyoung just called and… so… I’m… yeah, waiting for her too,” he was surprised at the question but he was able to maintain his calmness.

“The teacher suddenly called her so she asked me to relay her messages. She said you should go to the cheerleader club room,” said the girl. Jungkook nodded and thanked her. Right after she finished telling the message, Chaeyoung called Jungkook. Chaeyoung asked him to give the phone to the girl. With a bit running, he managed to catch the girl up.

The girl ended the phone call and gave his phone back. She said Chaeyoung asked her to him to the cheerleader club’s room. Jungkook nodded then followed the girl quietly. It’s the first time Jungkook came to this school. Lucky for him there was no club activity on the field today. It was mean he was able to avoid more judging eyes. Jungkook suddenly stopped as the girl paused to take her phone from her bag. But then they continued to walk again after she found it. This school was slightly bigger than his school. He needed approximately more than 5 minutes from the front gate to the club room.

“Hey, June! Sorry I didn’t pick it up. My phone was in my bag. What’s up?” the girl was taking a phone call while they passed across the athletic field. Jungkook took more distance so that he won’t disturb the girl’s privacy. Suddenly the girl stopped and turned back.

“You see that building? The first door is the cheerleader club’s room. You can go there by yourself, right?” asked the girl while put her phone away from her ear. Jungkook nodded. The girl smiled excuse herself and continued her phone call. After she left, the door of the cheerleader club was opened. Bunch of girls who seems like a member of the club was getting out of that room. Jungkook gulped. Goes to the all-boys schools since middle-high made him not used to interacting with girls. He hesitated whether he should walk closer or wait till the crowd was gone.

Seems like one of the girls saw him and in a minute he saw Nayeon got out of the room. She smiled brightly showing her bunny teeth and waving at him. He waved back awkwardly and walked slowly while Nayeon was scuttling towards him. Nayeon reached her hand out to congratulate Jungkook for his win. He shook her hand and thanked her. Nayeon then asked for the treat.

“Sure. Let’s go,” Jungkook’s answer made Nayeon laugh. She said she was joking. But Jungkook said he was serious and let Nayeong choose the place. Nayeon took the offer happily and said she wanted to eat tonkatsu and knew a popular tonkatsu place.

Nayeon tied her hair as the waitress came to serve her order, a big portion of tonkatsu. She looked at it with widened eyes. While waiting for Jungkook’s order to come, she took the knife and fork and cut that tonkatsu into a smaller size. Looking at how Naeyong passionately cutting the tonkatsu made Jungkook couldn’t help but giggle. She looked so determined to eat that large portion by herself.

“Why are you laughing at me? Is there something funny?” Nayeon felt offended so she was confronting him yet her eyes were still focused on the tonkatsu.

“No, nothing. It’s just I wonder whether you could eat them all,” Jungkook was taken aback because he was afraid he could piss her off.

“Do you think I couldn’t finish it? You might don’t know much about me, right? The Nayeon you met long ago was not the same Nayeon you see right now,” the timing, when Nayeon finished cutting the tonkatsu, was perfect because at the same time the waitress served Jungkook’s order.

As expected, Nayeon couldn’t finish the tonkatsu. She raised her hand to call the waitress. She asked to take away the rest of the tonkatsu and asked for the menu book. She asked permission to Jungkook if she could order more food. Jungkook nodded with confusion. She said she was full but still had room for more food.

The green tea ice cream that Nayeon ordered came. She couldn’t take her eyes off of the ice cream. She took the spoon and about to scoop it but she stopped. She offered it to Jungkook but he refused. He was too full for dessert. She was happy because she could the whole ice cream by herself. While she was waiting for the first spoon of ice cream to meltdown on his mouth, she stabbed the spoon on the ice cream then leaned on the chair. She folded her arms and intensely staring at Jungkook.

“So, why do you want to meet me? I am pretty sure it’s not because you want to talk about my team and your team working together. So, what it is?” finally she was able to ask the question that kept running around on her mind since Jungkook sent her a message asking to meet her.

“What do you mean? It’s part of the purpose too. But, you are right, that’s not my main intention. Actually, I want to meet you to apologize. I am sorry for what I said to you last year. I know I was such a no mannered . I am sorry for hurting you. And… I am sorry because it takes so long for me to apologize,” Jungkook was apologizing while looking straightly to Nayeon’s eyes. He did that to show his sincerity. He knew what he had done was so mean and he already prepared if she couldn’t forgive him.

“The ice cream is delicious. You should try it,” Nayeon took her spoon again and continued to eat the ice cream after she heard his apology. Jungkook didn’t say anything after that. It seems like he was waiting for Nayeon to speak. It seems like Nayeon had no intention to talk. She was just busy eating the ice cream.

“That’s right, I deserve your apology. Do you know how long I cried after you reject me? I almost cried every night until my eyes dried. That was my first ever love confession and I got rejected. Not to mention how the gossip spreading rapidly and affecting my image. I felt so embarrassed because I kept hearing I got dumped. Of course, I deny it because we weren’t dating anyway. But, do you know what hurt me the most? Your harsh word. It’s fine, -well it’s actually not very fine- if you reject me. I was just not expecting to hear that kind of words came out from your mouth. I think since we were friends at least you should say it nicely,” Nayeon spat out that word with full emotion. Jungkook listened to the word per word without interrupting. He knew he deserved it.

“Aaaah it’s refreshing. Do you know how much I want to say it in your face? I tried to look cool while pretending nothing happened. But I guess I can’t help it,” Nayeon felt so satisfied after she told him what she kept for a long time.

“I know. That’s why I am here. I feel really sorry,” finally he was able to speak after Nayeon eating her ice cream calmly.

Nayeon looked at Jungkook regretted face and she thought it was funny. She was laughing out loud and almost spit the ice cream. She took a tissue and wiped her lips. She said she forgave him since long ago. It’s just she wanted to say it to him directly.

“How can’t I forgive you if you treat me with this delicious meal and even waiting in the front gate of all-girl school? Honestly, I think it’s a good idea you come to apologize after you become popular. I kind of restore my image. The superstar is come and waits for Lim Nayeon in front of the school gate,”

“Good for you but it’s so humiliating for me,” Jungkook remembered his terrible experience today.

“But, that makes you look so cool. As expected, my taste of man is never wrong. But, don’t get me wrong. It’s been so long since I get over you! I also have a boyfriend you know,” Nayeon quickly made a statement as she was afraid Jungkook would get the wrong idea.

“I know. You deserve someone better than me. Anyway, that guy must be so lucky,” Jungkook relieved because she was doing better as expected.

Jungkook offered Nayeon to buy more meals to take it home. Nayeon thanked him but she said it’s more than enough. They continued to talk until Nayeon finished her ice cream. After paying the bill, Jungkook walked Nayeon to the bus station. While they were waiting for the bus to come, Nayeon made a sudden confession. She said she intentionally delay the end of the meeting. She did that to get her revenge.

“Oh, that’s my bus! Anyway, you should be grateful you met Chaeyoung. She even escorted you to the club room. If it’s not because of her you might be standing on the gate for another 10 minutes. As expected from our angel. Ah, since you don’t know her, I will relay your gratitude. Bye! Thanks for the treat!” Nayeong waved to Jungkook then get on the bus.

***

“Good morning Sunbaenim!!” a group of students that wear training suits greeted Jungkook. His popularity really increased. He didn’t even meet the new members but they knew him. Well, he was already popular even before he won the AFC Cup but now his popularity was no joke. He became the role model for almost all the first-grade soccer team.

I missed school. Jungkook regretted what he said yesterday. His motivation to go to school was soccer. Now, he couldn’t get near the club room and touched the ball. There was only study, study and never-ending study now. The steps felt so heavy as he entered the shoe locker. His eyes were staring at the floor as he walked busy thinking about how he could find motivation. Again, he met a group of students wearing training. But, why they were here? They were supposed to be on the field. Namjoon adapted his Sparta training and made the team have to do the morning exercise before class. He smirked as he got a mischievous idea. He intentionally cleared his throat to startle those boys who stood in front of his shoe locker.

“SUNBAENIM GOOD MORNING!!” the boys were surprised and greeted him with a loud voice.

“Good morning, Mark, Dino, Seungkwan and … you must be the first-year student?” Jungkook showed his evil smile.

“YES. MY NAME IS PARK JIMIN!” the new boy introduced himself. He was so nervous as he got to see his idol up close.

Jungkook stared at them from head to toe with his intimidating aura. They didn’t look suspicious but something was fishy. He saw Jimin was holding something on his fist and Mark put his hands behind his back while Seungkwan slowly put his hands into his training suits pocket. From their hands, Jungkook’s stare moved to their eyes. They were so nervous and it made their faces looked so funny. Jungkook folded his arms and changed his expression from friendly to scary.

“What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be on the field right now? Do you want to run 10 more laps?” Jungkook asked while staring at their eyes one by one. His eyes stopped at Seungkwan and it made him gulped.

“We are about to go there. We just coincidently met here. Right?” Seungkwan’s voice was shaking but he managed to control it.

“What’s that in your pocket? And your hands? I smell something fishy here. None of you supposed to be on the third-grade locker, yet you are here. What a coincidence. Moreover, that’s my locker. What are you guys trying to do?” this time his eyes stopped at Jimin. He chose his prey right. The first-year student wasn’t good at lying.

Jimin was confused and his eyes were shaking. He took a glimpse at Dino seeking for help. Dino saw that signal and with his eyes, he told him to show what they were hiding. Jimin loosened his fist and showed crumpled paper. Jungkook eyes moved from the paper to Jimin’s eyes to Mark. Mark also put his hands to the front and show the same small yellow paper. Each of them then showed what they were hiding. Sticky notes. That’s not fishy but unusual. Jungkook walked towards his shoe locker and opened it. He was amazed when he saw his locker. It was decorated with sticky notes with all kinds of messages. He smiled. He walked to his original position, facing his juniors.

“So, do you want to keep lying? If you tell me the truth then I will spare you,” this time he softened his expression.

“We… actually, we want to paste it on your locker,” Mark being brave by telling the truth. Jungkook was holding his smile as he saw his juniors’ cute faces. They looked like a kindergartener who got caught eating ice cream when they were forbidden to.

Jungkook reached his hand out. Four boys in front of him were looking at him then looking at each other. Jungkook asked them to hand their notes by using hand gestures.

“Don’t you say you want to give me that? Hurry, my hand is hurt,” after he said that all of them hurriedly handed it. Jimin apologized because he made it crumpled. Jungkook accepted his apology then told them to hurry because they were already late for the morning routine. Their faces became panicked again and they immediately running towards the field with all their strength.

The locker room started to get crowded and it made Jungkook quickly hide the sticky notes on his coat pocket. He was also plucking all the notes that were pasted on his shoe locker. He couldn’t wait to get home and read all those messages. It must be fun to read what they wrote for him.

Since the club activity was forbidden, the lunchtime was the only time left to enjoy the school. Not only Jungkook but most of the students in the third grade felt the same way. It was the time they got to relax for a bit. Although some of them especially those who take the CSAT this year were still using this precious time to study.

As usual, Jungkook and his friends were eating together at the school cafeteria. This time, Jaehyun wasn’t absent but Taehyung said he will be late. He said he had something to do and told them to go ahead. While that group of friends was busy chit-chatting, Taehyung suddenly interrupted their chat by hardly put his tray on the table. His face looked so excited and it was a sign he was bringing some hot topic.

“Namjoon is in trouble!” Taehyung was talking excitedly while putting his feet to the inner side of the cafeteria chair. Dokyeom moved a bit to give some space for Taehyung to sit. After he was sitting comfortably, he began to spill the tea. He said Namjoon was facing a crisis right now. There weren’t enough players for this winter tournament. His friends haven’t believed him because they thought it was impossible. The soccer club had enough members that even made them able to form two teams. Hearing his friends doubting his information made him smirking. He purposely didn’t say anything and took the first bite of his lunch. He stayed quiet until his friends began to create any kind of possibility theory.

“Emm… Emm… None of you get this right. The answer to why it can happen is becauseeee… Four of our members get accepted to join Seoul National Team for National High School Competitions. Isn’t that amazing? Well… it is. But it’s also a disaster. Why? Because all of them are strikers!!!” finally his itchy lips couldn’t wait longer.

That’s good news but also bad news. Four is considered a lot. Remember how limited the striker position was. They had enough member but they have not enough strikers. Surely they could change the position or formation but it wasn’t as effective as the original. There was one striker left but it’s not enough. They should adjust their formation depending on their opponent. Having one striker was too risky. Jungkook was wondering why Namjoon didn’t tell him. But Taehyung told him the announcement was just made today. That’s why Namjoon hasn’t told him yet.

“I know someone who can be a great striker. He used to play soccer at his former school. But, there is a problem. He sometimes could be such a pain in the soo… It won’t be an easy task to ask for his help,” Jaehyun gave an idea to Namjoon who joined them after he got a call from Jungkook. Jungkook called him not to intervene on that issue but just want to hear his strategy and maybe gave some advice. It’s a crucial problem not only for Namjoon but also for their school.

“Who?” Mingyu, Taehyung, Jungkook, and Dokyeom were curious about that guy.

“Lee Haechan from Class 2-3. I talked to him but he rejects me right away,” Namjoon answered the question with a disappointed face. He tried to persuade him through other friends but it’s not working. He didn’t even budge. Jaehyun who heard it was smiling as if he already predicted.

The short meeting was ended. Jaehyun suggested Jungkook come and persuade him. Maybe a superstar can make him felt honored and decided to change his decision. They agreed. Although they weren’t sure it’s better to try than do nothing. Jungkook asked Jaehyun to set the meeting since Jaehyun was close to him. He felt bad for bothering Jaehyun’s study but he thought maybe with two of them there, it’s going to work.

The bell of the end of school time was ringing. Jungkook was yawning while stretching his body. He took his phone and saw a message from Jaehyun. Haechan agreed to meet. Jungkook then told Jaehyung to meet up in the shoe locker around 5 minutes later. After putting all his belonging to his bag, he left the classroom which still full of students. He had been skipping the self-study night class for two consecutive days. Luckily it’s not mandatory to attend the night class. It’s just a facility provided by the school to students who want to study for the exam. The school changed the rule started from this year. The headmaster’s vision was to provide a healthy education environment so he decided to change it from mandatory into supplementary class.

When Jungkook arrived at the shoe locker, Jaehyun was already there leaned on the wall smiling to his phone. Jungkook called him and he waved. On their way to the meeting place, Jaehyun spoiled a bit about Haechan’s personality. The best thing to do to win over him was to do everything that he requested. The more we against it, the more he got triggered to annoy us. Which means he will come out with a crazier idea. What he hated the most was someone who had no competitiveness.

“What do I get from helping you?” Jaehyun was burst into laughter while he heard the first words Haechan said when Jungkook told him about the purpose of today's meeting. Gladly he was still standing behind Haechan because he just got back from taking their order. Jungkook who sat across Haechan saw him laugh and got annoyed. Luckily Jaehyun wasn’t sitting next to him or his pride will hurt more.

“Just kidding. You are about to pop your vein. Hahaha…,” Haechan was laughing after witnessing Jungkook’s just-endure-it expression. Luckily Jaehyun was quick-witted and quickly joined them. He put the tray on the table and served Jungkook’s drink first hoping the cool beverage could calm him down. The reason he also agreed to accompany Jungkook on this meeting was that he knew Jungkook need moral support to fight with this kid. He had been dealing with this kid since middle school so he was used to it. So this time, he only wanted to watch this psychological themed live movie.

“I can’t promise you anything. But, if you want something in return, of course, it must be something that feasible to give, we can give it to you. Usually, extracurricular clubs will help each other when they face a crisis. For example, if the basketball team need more player then our soccer team member who good at basketball will help them. Something like that. You are from the media club, right? Maybe if you have anything you need for your projects, we will lend you help,” Jungkook opened the transaction.

Haechan took his glass, stir the banana smoothies with the stainless steel straw, leaned his back then sipped his smoothies. He stared at Jungkook without saying anything. It seems like he was thinking about the offer. Jungkook also stared back at him, waiting for his answer. While they were staring and trying to read each other’s minds, Jaehyun was holding back his laughter as he watched them. It was so funny. Actually, he was the one who was very excited. Haechan was so creative and sometimes his idea was totally out of the box. It got more interesting because he knew Jungkook had an amazing ability to solve any kind of problem in an unusual and unpredictable way. This was also a war of creativity.

“I don’t like to be indebted with someone. Namjoon asked me before but I reject him without thinking. But, since you help me against my bully, so, I have decided to consider this offer. So, you said you will give me something in return. Hmm… I don’t really get any trouble in my media club. So it’s okay to ask something personal?” Haechan finally made his decision. Jungkook nodded. Now, he could relax. Unexpectedly it’s not as hard as Jaehyun’s said. Lucky for him, his good deed from the past could bring him luck. Haechan asked for some time to think about his wish and Jungkook told him to think it slowly.

A lot of ideas were running on Haechan’s head but he didn’t like it because it was too ordinary. He should think about something spectacular. He looked at his surroundings, from the left to right, up and down, near and far in order find his wish but it’s not working. Maybe he should ask for more time to decide. He looked at Jungkook who was eating french fries that just arrived a minute ago then moved his eyes to Jaehyun who was smiling handsomely while playing with his phone. A smirk was bloomed on Haechan’s lips. He straightened his sitting position then consecutively looking at Jungkook and Jaehyun.

“I’ve decided. I’ll participate in this tournament but I have some conditions outside of my wish. Is that okay?” Haechan was talking in high spirits. Jaehyun moved his focus from the phone to Haechan so did Jungkook. They were nervous but also curious. Haechan had two conditions. The first one was he couldn’t guarantee their win. Jungkook agreed but in a condition, he should do his best. Both parties then sealed the deal. The next one was to grant his wish in advance. He said didn’t want to participate if they couldn’t grant it. Something was fishy and Jungkook could smell it. He needed to be careful so he decided to hear the wish first before they came to an agreement.

“So, what’s your wish?” Jungkook asked cautiously.

“Well… it’s not a big deal,” Haechan was smiling. He rested his chin on his hand then looking at two of his seniors who were waiting for his answer nervously.

“I won’t come to the practice unless…,” he was staring at Jaehyun during the pause then moved to Jungkook when he about to say the rest of the sentence.

“Lift the dating ban,” he showed a face full of victory.

The two men in front of him were speechless after hearing his unexpected wish. They both seemed to not believe what they just hear. Haechan sipped and finished the remaining smoothies on his glass. He thanked Jungkook for the treat and reminded him to give him the answer before the practice start. He wished he would hear some good news. He then stood up, gave a bow and left the café with a bright smile.

“Hey Jaehyun,” Jungkook called.

“Emm…?” Jaehyun answered.

“Thanks for your advice,” Jungkook turned his head and looked at Jaehyun with pitiful eyes.

“What should I do?” he asked with the most sorrowful voice Jaehyun ever heard.

***