The Late Start

Excuse Me?

The Math supplementary class had come to an end. Math is the first subject for the summer supplementary class program in Jungkook’s schedule. He should attend Math and Biology class every Monday and Tuesday. For Chemical and Physic subjects are held every Wednesday and Thursday. And on Friday, they should take the re-evaluation test. But it also depends on the teacher’s policy regarding the time they will hold the re-evaluation test. The students, who passed the standard score, will be free from the next week class.

The break time bell was ringing. Once the teacher left the classroom, Jungkook checked his phone. He opened his soccer club group chat. Jaehyun still quiet and didn’t say anything since yesterday. He didn’t even contacted Jungkook to explain about yesterday accident. Jungkook was curious but his pride retained him to not ask first. Jungkook was really mad at that time. He didn’t expect that Jaehyun would pick a fight with other school. If he got caught by the school, he will get punishment and also got suspended from soccer team activity. For information, their soccer team has several rules that must be obeyed by all the members. No fighting, no dating, no skip practice without notice and no breaking the fatal school’s rules. If they break one of the rules, they will get a penalty. Whether it’s become a substitute player, cleaning the club room, get suspended or the worst is get expelled from the team, it depends on how heavy their violation is.

Jungkook was in dilemma right now. He was sure that no one knows about that incident beside him and Jaehyun. Eunwoo promise he won’t tell anyone. If he just let it slide, Jaehyun will escape the punishment. Moreover, Jaehyun is the only goal keeper that they have for Spring Tournament. He really wants to win in this tournament with his fellow 11th grader squad. They were practicing so hard the past year to achieve their dream. What made him in dilemma is the fact that he bears the responsibility to become a fair Captain. He always told his juniors to obey the rule. He can’t be subjective just because Jaehyun is his best friend.

“Hey, you don’t want to buy a lunch?” Taehyung dispersed Jungkook’s deep thought.

“No, my Mom packed me a lunch. Just go without me. I am too lazy to move so I will just eat here,” Jungkook replied.

“Let’s eat together. We will buy our lunch then eat that here. Don’t eat before we come,” Dokyeom warned Jungkook then drag Taehyung and Mingyu to the canteen.

Jungkook put his phone back to his pants pocket after checking on the group chat. Jungkook bent down to reach his bag and take out the lunch box. He opened the box but realized that he forgot to take out the chopstick. He grabbed his bag then put it on his lap. He searched for the chopstick by put his hand inside the bag and tried to searching for it by touched each thing on his bag. Unfortunately he couldn’t find it. He took out some of his belonging so he could see the bottom of his bag. His eyes catch the square black box on his bag. He opened it and found the book inside it. He opened that book inside his bag. It was a notebook. He opened the page one by one quickly without reading the content.

“What are you looking for?” Dokyeom suddenly appear in front of him. Jungkook was surprised a bit and quickly close the book and hide it inside his bag.

“I am looking for my chopstick. Anyway, did you go to canteen a while ago? Why are you still here?” Jungkook asked Dokyeom and continuing to search for his chopstick.

“I forget my wallet so I go back here,” Dokyeom take his wallet from his desk then quickly leave the class room to catch up Taehyung and Mingyu.

Jungkook finally found his chopstick. He put it on top of his lunch box. He put his belongings that he took out earlier back into his bag.  After make sure Dokyeom already left, Jungkook re-opened that mysterious notebook. The notebook has a black cover with his name written on it. He opened the first page. There were a big pink rose drawing on it and “Math” written on the center top of the page beside the rose. He opened the next page. The tittle of the Chapter was written on the top. The content was consists of short theory, formulas, and examples plus its solution. It was written neatly, full of colors and also there were several doodles on it. It looks like girl’s notebook. The notebook quite thick and it contains four science subjects plus a bit of English and Korean subjects.

The next class was Biology so Jungkook opened the Biology chapter and tried to read the chapter that he will learn in class while waiting for his friends back from the canteen. Once Jungkook’s heard Taehyung’s voice, he closed the book and hiding it on his drawer.

Four of them have a lunch together. They were excitedly talking about the next match. They were discussing about the opponent weakness and the best strategy they should use. The conversation about the next match reminds Jungkook about Jaehyun. Hearing about how excited his friends were and how eager they are to win this tournament, made him thinking twice to tell Jaehyun incident.

During lunch, Jungkook can’t stop thinking about the best decision he should make. Finally, after a long and deep thought, he decided that, if Jaehyun come to the practice tomorrow, he would forget about yesterday and pretend nothing has happened.

“Hey Kook, you have Biology class after this, right? Aww poor you. I will go straight home after the bell rang. Teacher Kim really full of surprise. How can we take the re-evaluation exam after learn it?” Dokyeom complained about their Math teacher.

“But, it is a good advantage for us too. We don’t have to wait until Friday to get free from his class. If we study crazily today, we could pass the re-ev exam tomorrow. Then, we don’t have to attend this class again which means it’s holiday!” Mingyu tried to be positive. Taehyung and Jungkook only give a bitter smile.

The break time was over. The next class was Biology. Since Mingyu, Taehyung and Dokyeom passed the standard score on their mid-term test result, they didn’t have to attend this class. They went straight home to studying Math to preparing for tomorrow re-evaluation exam.

The class has started but Jungkook hardly concentrate on the lesson. He still busy thinking about Jaehyun. What if Jaehyun didn’t come to practice? What should he say to s? Should he tell the truth? Or, should he drop the wise and objective captain role to keep Jaehyun as the line-up for the semifinal? If Jaehyun got suspended, then who will be the one who substitute him? Namjoon has a great skill but he is still lacking of experience.

“Jeon Jungkook!” the teacher called his name and it successfully snatched his concentration back to the lesson. He looked into his teacher’s eyes but his hand quickly opened the notebook that he just found on his bag during lunch and opened the Biology section.

“What is the other name of far-sightedness? What is the cause? And who is the one who usually suffers from this condition?” The Biology Teacher asked Jungkook.

“Hmm…,” Jungkook pretended to think but his eyes quickly read the notebook.

“Usually the people above 40 suffers from this condition. The name is, ooh… hyper...,” Jungkook scratching his hair pretending to remember the name but he tried his best to read the notebook as smoot as possible.

“Ah! Hypermetropia! The lights is focused behind the retina so, the people who suffer from hypermetropia couldn’t see the close objects clearly,” Jungkook felt so proud because he could answer the question perfectly.

 “Great,” said the teacher. She was satisfied because Jungkook could answer it correctly which means he was listening to her explanation.

Jungkook took a deep sigh. Luckily he read it before. The illustration on the notebook also help him to remember and learn faster. That notebook was very useful. During the class, Jungkook prefer to read the notebook than listening to his teacher. He was totally immersed to the notebook.

The lesson finally come to an end. Since all his friends were already heading home, he didn’t have any friend to hang out with. He came to the club room to have a short visit quietly wishing to find anybody to accompany him to play but unfortunately, nobody was there. It won’t be fun if he play alone so he decided to go home.

Jungkook arrived at his house and found that his Mom hasn’t come back from work. It was still early for his Mom to come home though. He walked towards the kitchen, looking for a snack on the cabinet then sit in front of the TV. He didn’t know what to watch at this hour so he just changed the channels over and over. He found nothing interesting to watch so he decided to go to his room.

He changed his uniform to comfortable clothes then lay down on the bed. He opened his SNS account and saw Taehyung’s post. He posted a picture of math text book with a caption “In the making of a perfect plan to escape the Math prison ft. burger and cola”. He kept scrolling down and seeing his friends post who mostly posting about their holiday. Jungkook spend almost 1 hour laying down on the bed and playing with his phone. He finally got up after his phone was running out of battery.

It’s already 5 o’clock. He was so bored. He was rolling on his bed when his eyes suddenly fixed to his bag. He got up then sit down on the desk. He took out the notebook from his bag then opened the Math section. At first, he just planned to scan the first page of the notebook. But unconsciously he read it thoroughly.

After learned the theory and the example then he tried to do the problem. In the bottom of the page, there was a sentence “the solution was in the page 100”. He opened the page 100 and found the solution. Unfortunately he got it wrong. He tried to search for the mistake by comparing his answer with the solution. After comparing, he found out about his mistake. He suddenly become very curious then try to do another problem.

“Drrrrt…. Drrrrt….” Jungkook’s phone was vibrating. He looked into the caller ID. It’s his Mom.

“Hey son, where are you? Why haven’t you coming home?” asked Jungkook’s Mom.

“Mom, what are you talking about? I am already in home. I am in my room,” Jungkook was laughing.

“Really? Then coming down to eat dinner!” Jungkook’s Mom also laughing at this funny situation.

Jungkook looked into the clock, it’s already 8! He didn’t realize it. He was too focusing solving the math problem that he forgot he was sitting for 3 hours. He was amazed by his own self. He never studying for so long like that in his entire life. He also realized that solving math problem actually really fun!

After having a dinner and take a shower, he continued to solve the math problem. He has a big motivation to solve it because the writer of the notebook shared a website link that contains the problem and the solution. That was why Jungkook was happy. Whenever he got stuck, he could see the solution and learn. He was having too much fun that causing he didn’t realize the short and long needle of the clock already stop at number 12.

***

The Math re-evaluation exam was hold at 8 PM in the morning for 2 hours. Teacher Kim, their math teacher said that the result will be out after lunch. That’s why for the students who didn’t have a class after lunch, should wait a little bit longer before they could go home.

Jungkook looked outside the window. Ah, today weather was perfect for practice. But, there were 2 hours left before he could run in the field. He still has a Biology class. Teacher Kim entered the classroom before the Biology class start. As promised, he will hand out the result of the re-evaluation exam result. He bring a stack of holy papers. Most of the students showed anxiety expression on their faces. They wondering which number will appear in their holy paper.

Jungkook always found it fascinating to watch his classmate expression once they received their exam results. It’s so rare to saw a smiling face. Whether their got bad or good score. It was the same. When their score were bad, then they will frowning and curse themselves to become so stupid and not study hard. If they got a good score they will frown, too. They thought they could get better score if they study harder. That score wasn’t good enough to bring them to prestigious college.

“How’s your score?” Mingyu asked Taehyung who sat behind him. Mingyu was curious because Taehyung was smiling so brightly.

“I got 85. Wew, it’s higher than my last score. I made an improvement. How about you guys?” Taehyung asked Mingyu and Jongkook.

“I got 90. It’s quite satisfying,” Mingyu answered.

“Congrats bro. You could get home safely and enjoy your summer vacation. Your hard work studying for this re-evaluation exam was paid. Anyway, why didn’t he call my name. My name wasn’t the last on the list,” Jungkook was curious why does his name hasn’t been called.

Anyone hasn’t received their result, yet?” asked Teacher Kim. Jungkook raised his hand.

“Oh you haven’t get your result? I am sorry maybe I forgot to bring it here. Come to get it on teacher room after you finish your class, okay?” Teacher Kim apologizes.

Jungkook felt a little bit annoyed because it’s mean, he will be late for practice. After spending two hours listening to Biology lesson, the bell finally rang. Jungkook quickly grabbed his bag and rush towards the teacher room. He knocked on the door and walked toward Teacher Kim cubicle. Jungkook was standing beside his chair while Teacher Kim tidying his desk looking for Jungkook’s answer sheet. After a few minutes, Teacher Kim seems haven’t found his paper yet. Jungkook become impatient and decided to ask teacher Kim.

“Excuse me, Sir. How about my exam result?” asked Jungkook.

“Ah, I am still searching for it. Are you in hurry?” Teacher Kim asked him back.

“Well, not really. I just want to practice. My team is waiting for me,” Jungkook response to his question.

“Jungkook, what score do you think you’d get in this exam?” he looked into Jungkook eyes.

“I’m not sure. Maybe… 60 or 50?” Jungkook felt something wasn’t right.

“That’s your prediction. But, actually you scored 90. It’s amazing, isn’t it?” Teacher Kim showed a fake surprised expression.

“What?? Really??? You are not kidding, right, Sir?” Jungkook’s really surprised with what he just heard.

“I am serious. That’s why, I want you to tell me honestly. You aren’t cheating, right?” Teacher Kim showed a judging smile on his face.

“What? No, Sir! Even if I can’t answer the question, I’d rather pick random answer than cheating,” Jungkook was shocked by Teacher Kim sudden accusation.

“Really? So, you are so lucky, then. All the question you randomly pick were mostly the right answer,” Teacher Kim move his gaze from Jungkook’s eyes to Jungkook’s answer sheet.

“Sir, not just because I’m not smart and my previous score isn’t great, you could falsely accuse me like this,” Jungkook blood was boiling. He tried so hard to keep calm. He has a dark history when it comes to Teacher Kim. Their relationship doesn’t going well.

“I am not accusing you. I just want to know the truth,” Teacher Kim put the answer sheet on his desk.

“Then, should I retake the exam? I will do it in front of you and in essay form, not multiple choices,” Jungkook didn’t think too much while he said it. He just overwhelmed with anger that he bravely challenge his own teacher.

“Wow, I don’t know you have a very big confident! Okay, then, let’s do as you wish. To make your name clear, and to get rid of this “false accusation”, we will do the retake exam on Friday,” Teacher Kim was surprised by Jungkook abrupt challenge.

“I’m fine with that. Then, excuse me. I have to go to practice,” Jungkook bowed to Teacher Kim while holding his anger. But, after a few steps, Jungkook turned around, coming back to Teacher Kim’s desk.

“What’s wrong? Did you leave something behind?” Teacher Kim was confused because Jungkook was coming back.

“Sir, I wonder, what if, you caught a student who really cheating on exam? But, that student is smart and a role model of this school. Would you punish him, or you’d rather close your eyes pretending you never see it?” Jungkook asked his teacher.

“What with this sudden random question? Just tell me, who is the student that you mean?” Teacher Kim was confused and surprised with Jungkook once again.

“I am sorry. Sir, I know I’m not in the position to say this to you, but, could you stop labeling your student? Your high expectation could become a burden for the top rank students. And I sincerely wish you could stop having a prejudice to someone like me. I know I am not smart and you hate me for prioritizing my club activity than study. But, not all the stupid student like me have tendency to cheating. I wish you could erase that stereotype. Well, I am sorry if I am being rude. I sincerely apologize once again for my rudeness,” Jungkook bowed to Teacher Kim then immediately leave the teacher room.

Jungkook was fluttered by anger. He didn’t hate school. He hates the prejudice. He hated it so much. He walked in a rush so he could get out from the teacher room as quickly as possible. When he reached the door, he bumped into Doyoung who also just reach the door. Doyoung dropped the thick books from his hands. Jungkook apologized and help him bringing some of his thick books.

“Why didn’t you say it?” Doyoung asked Jungkook while they walking in the corridor.

“Say what?” Jungkook was confused by Doyoung’s question.

“You saw me, right? In mid-term exam, you saw me cheating.  I heard it earlier when you talking to Teacher Kim. You are asking about what if he caught the real cheater. That guy is me, right?” Doyoung gave an explanation to his previous question.

“To tell you the truth, yes it was you. I was overwhelmed with anger. But, as I thought about it, the problem will get more complicated for both of us. Moreover is there any advantage for me if I tell him about you? No. And also it still won’t make me free from Teacher Kim’s false accusation,” Jungkook answer it honestly.

“Do you hate me?” Doyoung felt so sorry and didn’t dare to look at Jungkook’s eyes. He walked with his head down. Jungkook know it was hard for Doyoung to maintain his rank. There must be a lot of pressure for him. Although he did it in wrong way, Jungkook still felt sorry for him.

“Hey, what’s wrong with you? I hate this emotional atmosphere. Well, actually, rather than hate, I tend to pity you. You have to bear a great burden on your shoulder. You need to maintain your rank and score. I can’t imagine how stressful it would be. You were pressured to be the best. You were afraid if you can’t meet their expectation. That’s why you were cheating. You were too anxious.

“Hey Doyoung, I don’t have the rights to give you an advice. But, one thing I can say is, you need to believe on yourself. If it’s too difficult, just take some time and rest. You don’t have to feel bad about me. I am used to this false accusation. Moreover, you are also my friend although we weren’t that close. Friend is partner in crime, you know. Now, I should hurry to practice. I don’t want to run 10 laps because I’m late. Bye!” Jungkook patted Doyoung shoulder, give him back the thick books, then running towards the stairs, heading to the soccer field.

Jungkook came straight to the club room to change his clothes. After closed his locker, Jungkook looked into the locker next to his. He was hesitating but then he opened the locker which has “Jung Jaehyun” nametag written on the door. It’s empty. Jaehyun hasn’t come. Jungkook close it with a little bit force so it causing a loud sound.

Jungkook entered the field and give a sign to all the team members to gather. As usual, before begin their practice, they will gather in the middle of the field and the Captain will give a speech. After finishing his short speech that mostly about reminder to practice harder and win the competition, Jungkook told his team that he want to announce about the change of next match line up.

“For our semifinal match on Saturday, I’d like to announce a change of player. Jung Jaehyun won’t be participating so Kim Namjoon, you will replace him. Prepare yourself. I don’t want you to make a mistake. That’s all for today, you can go home now,” Jungkook finished his speech.

Everyone on his team looked so confuse, especially the senior. They weren’t informed about the changing of the player line-up. Despite of all the confusion, the senior just keep practicing as usual. But, behind the juniors’ back, they were secretly planning to hold the emergency meeting after the practice end. Unlike the senior, the juniors congratulate Namjoon and encourage him to do his best. They were proud that their friend could participate in Spring Tournament.

After all juniors went back home, the senior hold an emergency meeting in the club room. They all questioned Jungkook about his surprised decision. They want to know the reason why he suddenly substituting Jaehyun with Namjoon.

“So, mind to tell us about this abrupt decision?” Jaehwan open this emergency meeting.

“Isn’t it clear? Jaehyun won’t be playing on semifinal,” Jungkook opened his locker and took out his bag.

“We aren’t deaf. We just want to know the reason. Jaehyun didn’t say anything to us. If he won’t participate, there must be a reason. Is he injured his hands or what? We have the right to know,” Minghao tried to hold his anger and set his voice to sound as calm as possible.

Everyone was silent. They were waiting for Jungkook to speak. Jungkook took a deep sigh then he stared into his friends eyes one by one. He felt really guilty. Throughout the practice, he keep imagine this situation. He knew it very well that he just made a fatal mistake. He still very angry about his math score incident and Jaehyun’s absent making it worse. Although he already planned to change the player a day before, he still not sure and hesitate to do it. Now, while he finally could decide, he regretted it. All the decision that made while we were angry always leads us to a disaster.

Jungkook was confused to how he gonna explained it all without telling the whole story. And now wasn’t a good time for him to explain. He really had a bad mood today and he didn’t want to make it worse by telling about the bad story. He really wanted to escape this situation and tell them later.

“Listen, right now I really…” Jungkook didn’t finish his sentence. He was observing his friends reaction. He took a deep breath. He knows it will be annoying if he said he will tell them later but he didn’t have any choice.

“Oh, Jaehyun is calling!” Mingyu suddenly shouted. Mingyu pick up the phone and make it into loudspeaker mode.

“Hello, Mingyu. Did the practice already end? I tried to call Jungkook but he didn’t answer. Hey, are you listening?” said Jaehyun on the phone.

“Oh, yes. Jaehyun, I put this call on speaker mode. You are calling in the right time. Right now we are in the middle of emergency meeting discussing about your absent. Mind if you tell us the reason? We are very curious,” Mingyu explain the condition in the club room to Jaehyun.

“So, it’s in speaker so everyone can listen? Hi everyone is me Jaehyun. First, I want to apologize that I didn’t tell you guy beforehand. It is really sudden so I just tell Jungkook about it. I should go back to America so I can’t join the semifinal. Since I want Namjoon to be prepared so I told Jungkook to announce it today. I am very sorry. It’s really important that I can’t help but to go. I believe Namjoon will do a good job. I BELIEVE WE CAN WIN THIS MATCH! FIGHTING!” by listening to Jaehyun long explanation, the curiosity of all the members finally got fulfilled.

After that phone call end, finally they all went back home. Jungkook silently grabbed Mingyu’s arm and without saying a word, he gave a signal to Mingyu to stay after all the members gone. Mingyu smiled and nodded his head.

“Let’s running for 10 laps,” said Jungkook after all the members went home.

Mingyu know there must be something going on with him. Mingyu know Jungkook very well. Whenever he faced a problem he always tried to overwork his body.

“Alright,” Mingyu accepted Jungkook offers. He tightening his shoelaces then began to jogging.

Mingyu looked at his watch after he finished the last lap. It’s 6 PM already.

“Hey, Jungkook, let’s go home, It’s late,” Mingyu told Jungkook while catching his breath.

“I will stay for 30 more minutes,” Jungkook wipe his sweat with the towel then drink the water that Mingyu offered.

“Did something happen with teacher Kim?” asked Mingyu curiously.

“Something like that. Forget it, I don’t want to talk about it right now,” Jungkook can’t hold his anger whenever he remembered this afternoon incident.

“It seems like you still have a lot of energy to waste. I will take a shower first. You can spend your energy as much as you want but don’t overdo it. I am heading first,” Mingyu patted him then went to club room.

It becomes a habit. Whenever Jungkook felt an overwhelming feeling, neither it sad or angry, he will to keep himself busy by drench out his energy.

Jungkook set a timer to 30 minutes on his phone. He continued to practice alone. He was running 2 laps then he lay down in the middle of the field. He looked up into the distance sky. Ah, the sky colours were so pretty. He stared at it for a while then slowly closed his eyes. He was tired for all the stereotypes, accusation and the label he got from some teachers. He let out a scream to release his stress. He got up then did 1 last lap. He really didn’t want to stop running. Once he stopped, the memory of Teacher Kim's accusation keep appeared.

He maybe looked like he didn't care about his academic performance but actually he did care. But, the problem is he never put an extra effort to study. He only studies in the night before the exam. Also, he only learn about the easy material, he didn’t even try to read the difficult or the subject that seems difficult to understand. That's why his score mostly around 50 or 60.

It's not the first time he was accused for cheating. Last month, he also accused for cheating while did the Physic quiz. He finished answering the quiz really quick because he didn’t study at all. He forgot there was a quiz. That was why he just answers some questions that he could. And for the remaining problem, he just guesses it. Because there were plenty of time left until the quiz end, but he wasn't allowed to go out from the classroom, so he looked around the class.

Jungkook sat on the last row at the right corner of the class. That's why he could watch the entire class. He chuckled whenever he caught a friend who cheated. The methods were varied. Some of them ask the friend beside or behind them. Some were looked into their super mini cheat-sheet. Usually the one who used the cheat-sheet is the smart and ambitious student. They believe on the text book rather than their friend. Jungkook eyes were focused on Doyoung. He never expected Doyoung will cheat. He knows Doyoung since middle school. And Doyoung wasn't the type to cheat. Teacher Lee caught Jungkook who was seriously staring at Doyoung. He thought Jungkook was trying to cheat since his eyes were wandering around. He walked towards Jungkook desk and took his answer sheet.

"You are done?" Ask Teacher Lee.

"Yes. Half hour ago," replied Jungkook.

"Wow. I didn't expect the questions would be so easy. Then, you may leave if you've done. I don't like it when my student doesn't believe on themselves," Teacher Lee collected Jungkook paper then put it in the teacher desk. He gave a hand signal for Jungkook to leave the class.

Jungkook didn't have any choice. He'd better got out before he got angry. The cheating accusation made his pride hurt. He gave a bow then left the class. It's always like this. The stereotypes of student who prioritize extracurricular activity than studying is stupid and most likely to cheat during exam, was slowly attached on him like nametag.

Jungkook’s phone alarm was ringing which means 30 minutes had passed. He walked towards the bench, turned the alarm off then walked towards the club room. He stopped his step while he saw Seungkwan, Dino and Haechan standing not far from the club room.

“What are you guys doing here?” Jungkook asked those three.

“Hyung, can you just forgive Jaehyun-sunbae? He is really didn’t do nothing wrong. He just simply wanted to save me from getting bullied. He didn’t pick a fight first. He just trapped in the not so convenient situation. It’s all my fault. That’s why please….. Please let him re-join the line-up,” Haechan begged Jungkook.

Jungkook completely forget about that boy. He thought it was only him, Jaehyun and Eunwoo. But he forgot that Haechan is the one who told him about that incident.

“That’s right, sunbae. We know Jaehyun sunbae since middle school. He really nice and always help his friends. He also really passionate while it comes to soccer. He really want to win this competition. Sunbaenim, we will get the punishment instead of him, so could you please let him in?” now it’s Seungkwan who begged.

“I already decided. And he approved it too. Nothing will change even if you begging me all night. Now, let’s go home. I don’t want to talk about Jaehyun anymore,” Jungkook was startled while he turned his head to the club room and saw Taehyung, Dokyeom and Mingyu there. He didn’t realize that Taehyung and Dokyeom coming back to club room because he was too busy running on the field.

“No, just listen what Seungkwan and Dino had to say. Did you hide something for us?” Taehyung got angry. It was shown in his voice tone.

“What is it that you hide from us? Tell us from the very start,” Dokyeom treat Dino and Seungkwan with his deadly gaze.

Seungkwan and Dino were scared and didn’t dare to speak. Haechan suddenly open up his mouth by telling the whole story.

“So, that’s the story. But, then I found out later from Eunwoo-sunbae. Jaehyun-sunbae and two other sunbae who bullied me before were working together to catch the boss. They were secretly filming those bullying scene. But, since I don’t know about that plan and I was too scared if anything happen to Jaehyun sunbae, I thoughtlessly calling Jungkook-hyung to asked for help,” Haechan explaining the information that Jungkook didn’t know.

Jungkook was also shocked while he knew that Jaehyun was purposely picked a fight with those bullies in order to catch the real boss. That was why Jaehyun said it was personal matter. Jungkook felt guilty because he didn’t listen to Jaehyun explanation first. He cursed his damn pride to restrain him to talk to Jaehyun. Only if he did it, this problem won’t getting any bigger.

“Ah, and that good intention just turn into such a disadvantage. Only if that one guy explains everything to us, Jaehyun can join us on semifinal. How could he selfishly make such a decision? I feel sorry towards Jaehyun. He was very kind. Even lying by saying he goes to America. Only to cover that selfish guy,” Taehyung couldn’t hold his anger anymore.

“If he isn’t wrong then why should he hide and didn’t show up and explain everything? Do you really think it’s completely my fault? I wait till today waiting for him to explain everything!” Jungkook didn’t want to get completely blamed. He was get annoyed by Taehyung’s comment.

“Have you ever tried to contact him first? I bet no. Right? And why you didn’t tell us about this important matter??? MORE IMPORTANTLY HOW THE HELL YOU MAKE THIS DECISION BY YOURSELF? WE CAN DISCUSS IT TOGETHER YOU KNOW??? Being a Captain didn’t make you free to decide everything!!” Dokyeom who tried to keep calm also exploding because of the Jungkook’s words.

“I also thinking about it over and over again. Do you think it’s an easy decision for me??? Although he did it for good purpose, BUT STILL HE WAS INVOLVED IN SCHOOL FIGHT. Don’t you know how big the impact was if the school found out about it??? He could get expelled!!! If got expelled then what? He will forever can’t join our team!!! Now you said I am just being selfish??? YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND MY POSITION,” Jungkook screamed as he got annoyed after being said selfish.

“GUYS, PLEASE CALM DOWN!!! Don’t raise your voice. We can talk about it without using too much emotion. Okay?” Mingyu tried to mediate the two parties.

“Yes, you can calm down because you also know about it, right? What’s with Jaehyun sudden call. I know it that you told Jaehyun beforehand to lie to save that damn guy. Ah, I can’t stand it anymore. I really want to punch his face if I stay here any longer. Luckily we still have more important goal to achieve, if not I don’t know what will I do to you,” Taehyung really mad that his breath got faster and it looked like he just did a 10 laps run.

“Let’s get out from here. I can’t stand it anymore,” Dokyeom pulled Taehyung arm and lead him to leave the school.

Seungkwan, Dino and Haechan were trembling in the corner. They feel so sorry because they just made the problem to getting worse. Mingyu looked at their scared face and felt sorry towards them. Mingyu know they just want to help Jaehyun but they didn’t expect this situation getting more complicated. Mingyu patted each one of them and tell them not to worry. Everything is gonna be okay and it’s not their fault. They had better going home because it’s late. Mingyu remind them to keep this matter as a secret. It was dangerous if this get leaked out. All three of them promise Mingyu and hesitantly leaving the school.

While Mingyu busy comforting Seungkwan, Dino and Haechan, Jungkook quietly leave and went to club room. He took his bag and left the club room. He closed the door with too much force that made his underclassman and Mingyu surprised. Anyone who looked at him could easily tell that he was extremely angry.

Jungkook didn’t want to come home while he was still angry so he decided to go to the neighbourhood that he used to visit while he want to meet Jiho-sunbae. Jiho is the former Captain of the soccer team and Jungkook really close with him. He came to the convenient store that Jiho frequently visited. But he didn’t found him. Jungkook a little bit disappointed but he could understand. Jiho must be studying right now. Jiho already in 12th grade and he should prepare for college entrance exam. Moreover, he didn’t tell Jiho that he want to meet him.

Jungkook bought some snacks and soft drink. He didn’t want to go home so he decided to walk around this neighbourhood. It’s a nice place. If he didn’t want to come home, he will come to this neighbourhood and spend his time talking with Jiho. This neighbourhood located in the opposite direction from his home. That’s why he loves it. He didn’t want to bump into his or his parent acquaintances. Jungkook walked without destination and arrived at the near playground. He walked towards the playground and coincidently saw someone that he knew was sitting in the swing. It’s Jiho! His smile that was missing since earlier finally came back as he waved his hand to Jiho.

Jungkook took a seat in another swing. Unlike his mature character in front of his friends, he suddenly turned into a whining boy when he was with Jiho. He told everything that happened today to Jiho. Jiho listen to him very carefully and sometimes showing a reaction. After Jungkook finished his story, unlike usual Jiho didn’t give him any advice. He said it was the problem that Jungkook need to solve by himself. Not because Jiho didn’t want to help him, but Jiho want to know how Jungkook handle this critical situation. As a Captain, he supposed to handle this problem wisely.

“Here, have some,” Jiho suddenly give Jungkook a box of cigarette. Unexpectedly Jungkook took it.

Woah it’s unusual of you. Usually you will refuse and said you don’t smoke.  I just want to tease you at first. Truthfully speaking I am disappointed that you took it. But, here, take the lighter too. It’s a gift,” Jiho smiling and give him a lighter although he still surprised that healthy Jungkook accepted his cigarette.

“Well, I know smoking is bad for your health. We both know well and it’s especially bad for athlete like us. Just take it when you are stressed. I don’t want to recommend something bad for you but, yeah, sometimes it helps.

“Back to the main point, I don’t want to give you any advice for now. You are the one who caused it then you should sort it out by yourself. All the seniors already trust the Captain title to you, so we know you are more than capable to solve it. I’ll leave first. I need to study. Anyway, don’t get caught while you were smoking. You will ruin the soccer team. Bye!” Jiho leave him alone in the park and went to the cram school.

Jungkook was playing with the cigarette box by spinning it with his hand after Jiho left. He stared at that box for quite a while. He finally opened the box and pull out one cigarette but then he put it back again. The playground was quite dark. There was only a few lights and it seems like it will be off on a few days. He walked toward the slide and standing at the side which could hide his body to not be seen from the passerby.

After he felt safe, he took out one cigarette from its box then started to light it. He stared into the smoke which came out from the burned cigarette. It took him for a while before he slip the cigarette to his lips.

“Uhuk, uhuk, uhuk,” Jungkook heard a coughing voice right before he suc k the cigarette that already in his lips.

He looked around but couldn’t found anyone. He though he misheard it so he just let it slide. A few minutes later, he heard it again. He looked around searching for the source of that coughing voice but still couldn’t found it.

“Sor... sorry... your cigarette... I... can’t breath...,” said the voice that come out from the top of the slide.

Jungkook look up and found out there was a girl on the slide and she was breathing so hard. Jungkook was shocked and quickly throw the cigarette to the ground and step on it.

“Are you okay?” Jungkook asked her. He was worried because that girl couldn’t breathe properly.

“Help me... Inhaler... I... Need inhaler,” she sounds out of breath and gasping for an air.

“Inhaler? Where could I get it?” he freak out, afraid that girl could death.

The clerk... Convenient store... ask her... please... I... can’t breath... help...,” she almost passed out.

Jungkook couldn’t understand what did she said but instinctively, he could sense she was in danger. He ran as fast as he can toward the convenient store. He asked the woman in cashier counter whether there was an inhaler, but she said they didn’t have it.

“You can bought an inhaler in the pharmacy. It’s close to bus station,” said the cashier.

“Are you sure you didn’t sell it? It’s urgent. Someone about to death because she can’t breath now. I don’t have time to go to pharmacy right now,” he began to panic.

“If it’s really important, you can use mine first, here,” the cashier give her inhaler to Jungkook.

“Thank you. I will give it back later,” without thinking, he took the inhaler and ran like a cheetah towards the playground.

Luckily, that girl was still alive. He handed the inhaler to her and she quickly put it in . Jungkook can’t do anything but watch and wait. He didn’t know how long he wait for her to got her normal breathing pace, but it felt so long. This is the first time he encounter someone who have troubled breathing and it scared him.

“Are you, okay?” Jungkook asked her.

“Yes. I am fine, now. Thank you,” said that girl with extreme low voice and made Jungkook barely heard her.

“I am sorry, I didn’t know you were there,” he apologize realized he just put someone life in danger.

“It’s okay. It’s not your fault,” that girl come down from the slide. She bowed to him and walked away quickly.

Jungkook still felt guilty and worry if anything happened to that girl so he followed that girl. Realized she was followed, she paused then turn her back.

“I am okay. You don’t have to follow me. The inhaler, I will give it back to her, myself. Then, excuse me,” she bowed once again then accelerate her steps.

Jungkook still confused and anxious but he stop following her. He didn’t want to look like a stalker, following a girl in the night. She come back to the playground and look for the cigarette he threw. It took some time to found it because it’s buried under the sand. He pick it and throw it to the garbage bin.

Today was tired day for him. Since morning, he encounter so many trouble. He look at his watch, it’s already 8pm but he still didn’t want to go home. He climbed the slide’s stairs and sat in the deck. He looked up to the sky. There weren’t a star but he could saw the moon which shining brightly. It’s a beautiful night. It’s a contrary to his condition right now.

He laid down with his feet on the slide and his upper body inside the deck. He kept staring at the sky while reminiscing about his day. Get a false accusation for cheating, fight with his best friends and now almost causing someone to death. What an awful day.

His thought was wandering around while suddenly it stopped to the thought of the girl that he almost kill with his cigarettes smoke. He was curious about that girl. What did that girl doing in here? Then he laughed at himself. He thought that girl was strange by playing on the slide in the night, but here he is, doing the same thing. This slide is comfortable. It could be your hidden space. It was a perfect place to hide. He looked around the deck and his eyes catch something on the corner. It was a book. Again. Somehow he found too many books lately.

Jungkook reach the book with his hand. He looked at the cover. It didn’t have a name on it. There was only a big rose doodle on the cover. He opened the book and realized it was a diary. He know it was rude to read someone else diary so he quickly close it and put it back to its place. After staying on his position for a while, he decided to go back home. He hopped down from the slide and clear out the dirt on his pants. His hand accidentally touch his pants’s pocket and felt the box of cigarette from Jiho. He took it out along with the lighter and threw it to the nearest garbage can. After this incident, he swore to himself that he won’t touch that thing again. He almost kills someone with that damn thing. Well, he almost kills himself too by ing to that thing.

Jungkook left the playground and walked towards the bus station. But then, he coming back to the playground and climbed the slide. He took the book that he found earlier and put it in his bag. He was sure that book belongs to that girl. He didn’t know why but his heart told him to keep that book with him. He wish he could meet that girl again. To apologize.