Gyro Drop Ride

Excuse Me?

“Hello,” Chaeyoung answered Eunha’s call.

“Chaeyoung, Sowon’s grandmother had passed away this morning. Me and Yerin planned to visit her tomorrow. Let’s meet in Seoul station at 9,” Eunha told her plan.

“Tomorrow?? Well, it was too sudden. I am sorry but, I think I can’t make it. I already had a promise and I can’t cancel it,” Chaeyoung was shocked by the news.

“Does your promise really that important? Can’t you reschedule it? I mean, we all know Sowon’s Grandma very well. Can you just spend your time for her?” Eunha tried to persuade her.

“I am truly sorry. I really can’t reschedule it. Please relay my condolence and apology to Sowon,” Chaeyoung reject it politely. Eunha finally gave up to persuade her and said she will relay Chaeyoung message to Sowon. Chaeyoung felt so guilty but she can do nothing. It will cost a lot of money to travel to Gwangju.

Chaeyoung continue to counting the monthly finance. The food stocks on refrigerator almost run out. She had to do grocery shopping. She took a deep sigh. She should saving up. The money that her parent gave her wasn't enough to buy miscellaneous things. She can't tell her parent because she knows it already hard for them to make money. She didn't want to be a spoiled kid. It already selfish enough of her to stay at Seoul with her brother. Although their family going through financial problem, her parent didn't want to give up on their children's education. That is why they told their children to keep living in Seoul to get a better education.

Chaeyoung's Dad decided to quit his job and started his own business a few years ago. Unfortunately, their business wasn't going very well. As the result, her parent decided to move to Jeju living with her grandmother and take over the family business. Chaeyoung's grandpa was very happy as his son comeback and decided to take over the business. He said, every day he prayed so that his son won't be success doing his job unless he continued to run his restaurant business. Chaeyoung’s Dad's pride was too high. He didn't want to take it easily. That is why, with his remaining saved money and borrowed some from the bank, he invest on the farm and bought some livestock. Since he just started a new business, the revenue wasn't that high. The money that he sent every month to his children only enough for their regular living cost. He felt apologetic to his children, but he can't do anything besides work harder.

Chaeyoung look at the family picture that hanged on the wall. Yes, she wasn't supposed to be selfish. Going through drastic change in her lifestyle was very hard. 5 years ago, she was living a comfortable life. Her family was well off. Her monthly allowance was twice of her friend. She could bought make up, bag and other things that she wasn't really need. She always say yes to her friends invitation to hang out to karaoke, restaurant, watching movie or shopping. Her reminiscing time was over once she heard her phone ringtone.

“Hello, Dad. Yes, I am doing fine. Money? Ah, yes. I will check it tomorrow. No, no. It’s enough. Jimin? He is already asleep. He has a match tomorrow. So far, he won. There are several matches left before final round. If he win tomorrow, his team will going to quarter final. Mom? Hey Mom. Hihi… I am totally fine. No, no, I don’t have a boyfriend. Next-door-Oppa taking a good care of me. Yes. You don’t have to worry. You transferred extra money? Alright, alright, I got it. Sure, I will send some picture tomorrow. Yes. Have a good rest, Mom. Say hello for grandma and grandpa too. Okay, good night. I love you too… Mom! Mom! Don’t work too hard. Have enough rest. I don’t want you to be sick. Yes. Okay. Good night,” Chaeyoung hang up the phone.

She took the brown envelope from her drawer. She needs to give the resignation letter tomorrow. She put it on her bag. She should keep her promise with Jin. Actually, it is forbidden for a minor to work on that coffee shop. She used Kim Jisoo, Jin’s friend, identity. Jisoo got accepted to work part time in there, but, somehow, she couldn’t manage to work since she got accepted to become a professor assistant. Chaeyoung begged Jisoo to replace her place. Jin was against it at first, but she ensures him that she will work only for 3 months. She wanted to buy Jimin a soccer shoes as a present. Jin’s finally given up and let her work, but only on weekend.

The place that she works called Mr. Coffee. It was located in the opposite direction of her school. She felt safe because there was a rare chance for her to meet her schoolmate. She didn’t want her friends know that she works part time in there. She also lied to her co-workers. No one knows that she is still a high school student. Every times she works, she felt so anxious. She was afraid that her cover will get discovered. She knows she should quit as soon as possible. She already had enough money to buy Jimin a shoe though she kept pending her resignation. She wanted to watch “that guy” more longer. Yes, she was fallen into a guy whom she met in that coffee shop.

She was happy to fill in for her co-workers on the weekdays. Although that guy only passed by the shop, she was extremely happy only by seeing his face. She managed to know that guy name and school through his friends. Sometimes, his friend stopped by the shop to buy coffee. Chaeyoung took that chance to eavesdropping their conversation. She really adores that guy. He became her source of strength whenever she felt down and upset. She also amazed by this fact too. How could looking into his face and saw his smile swept away his problem and sadness.

Chaeyoung can’t delay her resignation any longer. She met Nayeon a few days ago. Nayeon come to the coffee shop and look so gloomy. She looks like she just cried all night. Chaeyoung was panicked as she saw Nayeon stood up before her, ordering a grape juice. That time, the shop was busy, so Chaeyoung should take her order because no one was available. Usually, she managed to hide and ask her co-worker to take the order by saying she needs to go to the toilet. Nayeon was quite surprised too when she realized it was Chaeyoung.

“You are Rose, right?” Nayeon was hesitating to ask Chaeyoung.

“Yes, I am. You still call me Rose. How nostalgic. Please wait for your grape juice,” Chaeyoung tried to sounds calm despite of her racing heartbeat.

“Well, yeah, the name on your name tag was Kim Jisoo, so, I thought you are just someone who was a similar face with Rose,” Nayeon explained.

“Ah, this! I only help my friend to fill in for her. She can’t come so I helped her out,” Chaeyoung gave a rational excuse so that Nayeon won’t get suspicious.

“You aren’t change. Still as nice as usual. You know, back in the day, the kids on our church always called you angel, not Rose. Since you are exceptionally kind. Ah, you have a brother, right? Jimmy? Is he fine?” Nayeon took her grape juice.

“You also got called angel. Because you are very pretty. You still remember him? Well, he is doing fine,” Chaeyoung was surprised as Nayeon still remember Jimin.

Nayeon smiled and thanked her. She said goodbye, but after she reached the door, she comeback again. She gave a big plastic bag to Chaeyoung. She told Chaeyoung to give it to Jimin. She bought it for her friend, but it didn’t suit his taste. She didn’t have any male friends or brother, so she didn’t know what she should do with those goods. Chaeyoung looked into the plastic bag. It’s all soccer equipment. Chaeyoung tried to return it, but, Nayeon just smiled and quickly left the shop.

The next day, they met in the corridor. Nayeon asked her whether Jimin like her gift. Chaeyoung said he love it. Especially, because he also soccer player. The sight of the beauty queen and 1st rank having a chat and Nayeon called Chaeyoung by her English name quickly become a hot topic. Their friend didn’t know they knew each other and close enough to know English name. And it was where the rumor starts. The rumor about Nayeon got dumped by Jungkook.

Their schoolmate was curious and bombarding Chaeyoung about their relationship. They also asked about the occasion that made them have a chat on the corridor. She told them about Nayeon gift. Chaeyoung believe, that was where people started to made up a story. She felt apologetic, but didn’t have any courage to apologize to Nayeon.

Chaeyoung took a deep sigh and closed her eyes after finished writing the last sentence on her diary. Writing on diary could help her to release her stress. She was the introvert type. She wasn’t comfortable to tell her problem to other people. She felt like, if she told them, she just gave them an unnecessary burden. She set an alarm to 6 o’clock, and ready to enter the dream land.

“Jimin, what time your match will start?” Chaeyoung asked her brother while packing a lunch box in the morning.

“It’s 10 o’clock. You wanna come?” Jimin finished tying his shoelaces and get ready to leave.

“I am not sure. I am just asking. Just in case my heart changes its thought,” Chaeyoung put the lunch box on the canvas bag.

“Please make sure, your attendance not give me a bad luck. I am going!” Jimin opened the door.

“Hey, bring this with you!” Chaeyoung rushed over to the door to give Jimin the lunch box.

“What is this for? I thought we agreed that you won’t cook on the weekend,” Jimin was confused with the lunch box.

“That’s not for you. It’s for Hoseok. He asked me to pack him a food today. His parent was going to his grandparent house so he has no one to cook him a breakfast,” Chaeyoung gave an explanation.

“Wow, I adored Hoseok so much. How could he like the food that you cook? Aww, I started go get sick of your cook,” Jimin sister.

“Hey you rascal! How could say that when I tried hard to cook it for you!” Chaeyoung pinch her brother’s cheek. Jimin’s screamed in pain. Chaeyoung loves to see Jimin’s pouting face. He was so cute when he pouted. That’s why she kept teasing him.

After finished clean up the house, Chaeyoung prepared to go watch Jimin’s match. She stopped by the ATM near Jimin’s school. She took the money that her mom transferred yesterday. The match already began when she arrived. She blended with the audience to cheer for Jimin’s team. She records a video while Jimin did a free kick and sent it to her mom. After a long match, Jimin’s team finally won by 2-1 which bring their team to quarter final. Chaeyoung scream as loud as she can while Jimin scored a goal. She felt so proud as his sister.

After the match end, she quickly went to the bench. Hoseok who saw her come, quickly run over her and thanked her for the food. Chaeyoung smiled and glad that he loves it. Hoseok introduce her to the team. She congratulates the boys and told them she had a present. A few minutes later, delivery-man showed up and brings boxes of pizza. The boys were screaming happily as they saw pizza.

“Woah, Hoseok’s sister is the best! Sis, thank you so much for the food!” the boys were happy and thanked her for the present.

“Hey, Jimin! Come on, we should hurry. The boys are having a pizza party. Hoseok’s sister treat us pizza. If we aren’t hurry, we won’t get a slice!” Youngjae, the vice-captain, rushed Jimin to finishing the talk with the opponent team. Jimin nodding and quickly ends his chat with the opponent captain.

“Sis, what are you doing here?” Jimin was shocked as he saw her sister were there eating pizza with his friend.

“Oh, you were come. Here, I saved a few slices for you and the vice-captain,” Chaeyoung told them to take the pizza.

“Nah, guys! Let me have your attention for a second. To celebrate this moment, let’s take a picture together!” Hoseok told his fellow member to take a picture as Chaeyoung requested before. Chaeyoung want to send the picture to her mom as a proof that she did the request that her mom gave.

“Woah, Hoseok, you are so lucky. Your sister was kind and also pretty. I wish I had a sister like yours,” Youngjae envy Hoseok as he stuffed the pizza into his mouth.

“What? Hoseok’s sister? I don’t remember there is a person named Jung Hoseok in my family register list,” Jimin responds to Youngjae’s comment.

“What? So, she is not Hoseok’s sister but Jimin’s?!! I thought was Hoseok’s sister since she and Hoseok more like a siblings than you and her. She even brought Hoseok’s slogan, not yours,” Youngjae was shocked by that shocking fact.

“Yeah, but that was the fact,” Jimin respond it coolly as he chew his pizza.

***

Chaeyoung finally handed the resignation letter. But, she had to go to work the next two weeks since there was a two weeks prior notice rule. After she gave it to the manager, she went to locker room to change her clothes into the uniform. She started to clean up the table on the terrace and found a book that was left by the costumer. She takes a look at that book. Why did the book look so familiar? She slipped the book to her apron’s pocket and continued to wipe the table.

She took out the book as she back into the counter. There was big black rose on the cover. She knew that drawing very well. She began to open the next page. It was a notebook. The hand written was really neat. The writer must be work really hard to write that note book. The resume was simple and easy to understand. The writer also draws a picture that could help the reader to memorize the material easily.

“Jisoo, noona?” Chaeyoung heard someone called for Jisoo. She didn’t realize that the guy was actually calling for her. She often forget she go by the name of Kim Jisoo in her work place. Moreover, she was too focused looking at the notebook.

“Jisoo, noona? I want to order,” Chaeyoung finally back to her sense and startled as she knew the costumer was kept calling her name. She awkwardly apologizes and began to serve. That cute costumer was smiling because he found that Chaeyoung awkwardness was funny.

“Oh, Mingyu! Long time no see! I almost forget your handsome face,” Chaeyoung’s co-worker greeted Mingyu.

“Yeah, it’s been a long time… Jihyo noona,” that guy pause for a while and looking into Chaeyoung’s co-worker name tag.

“Chaeyoung, don’t be so startled looking at the handsome guy,” Jihyo teased Chaeyoung whose face getting redder. She kept her chin down and avoiding an eye contact with that costumer as hard as she can because she was dying in embarrassment. As soon as the guy left, she let out the big sigh.

A few minutes later, a girl came to the counter asking for her notebook that was left in the outdoor table. Chaeyoung said she found it and pretend to look for the book on the counter.

“The book seems important for you. Judging how relieved you are when I told you I found it,” Chaeyoung asked that girl while pretending to search for the book.

“Yes. I have a midterm two weeks again. That notebook was very important to help me studying,” she answered.

“I am sorry but I take look at your book earlier when I found it. You must be a good student. Your note was neat and easy to understand. Anyway, I have a brother and he was the same age as you. Can I copy your notebook? I bet my brother will got a good grade if he learnt from that note,” Chaeyoung kept looking through the counter’s shelf although she already found it.

“Well, that… Actually it’s not mine. I also copy it from my friend. And, it kinda hard to get. I am sorry. She forbids me to give it to someone else,” her voice was shaking and there was a hesitating voice on it.

“Found it! Ah, I am sad to hear that. I don’t have any choice but to beat my brother up to force him to study, then. Here, you go, …. Jung Eun Ha,” Chaeyoung opened the first page of the book. And read the name written below the scratched words.

“Ah, thanks,” the girl hurriedly took the book from Chaeyoung’s hand and left.

***

Chaeyoung put her body on the bed. Not cooking a dinner was heaven. After her shift end, she went to grocery shopping with Jin and Jimin. After that, Jin treat them a dinner. She was very happy. She also bought bread for tomorrow breakfast. She covered her body with blanket and sleep. It was 2AM and Chaeyoung’s phone suddenly rang.

“Chaeyoung, are you awake? I am sorry to bother at this hour,” Sowon started the conversation.

“Ah, yeah, it’s okay. Sowon, about your grandma, I wish she could go to a better place. And I am so sorry I can’t visit you,” Chaeyoung apologize.

“It’s okay. Eunha already told me about it. Anyway, can you help me? I don’t know who could help me beside you. About the physic homework, it should be collected tomorrow. And I was totally forgotten about it. I am still on my way home from Gwangju. So, can you help me to do it?” Sowon told her the reason she called Chaeyoung this late.

“Sure! I know you are still mourning. Don’t worry. I will help you. You should have enough rest. The final exam is soon too. You can’t be sick,” Chaeyoung voluntary accept her request as she thought at least she could do this to pay her absence.

One week already passed after Sowon’s grandma passed away. During that one week, Sowon keep asking Chaeyoung in the middle of the lesson. Honestly, Chaeyoung felt so bothered as she can’t concentrate on the lesson. But, she felt sorry to Sowon as she remembered Sowon just lost his beloved grandmother. She also felt really bad if she ignore Sowon. Sowon still in unstable state. Sometimes, Sowoon will suddenly cry. She said she missed her grandmother so bad. Chaeyoung, Eunha and Yerin will busy to calm her down.

The chemical class finally finished. Chaeyoung still teach Sowon about some parts. Chaeyoung slowly adapted to the situation when she should teach Sowon while listen to the teacher’s explanation. But, she can’t manage to write a note.

“Chaeyoung, can I lend your note? I didn’t write any single word,” Yerin asked Chaeyoung.

“Ah, well, I also manage to write some part, too. Anyway, how could you not write any single word? What are you doing during the lesson?” Chaeyoung was curious.

“My favorite idol group is having a comeback. I need to stream so they could win,” Yerin gave an honest answer.

“Ah, I see. How about Eunha? Don’t tell me you are also busy streaming?” Chaeyoung asked Eunha.

“Me? Well, I just write some part. Not much. It’s not worth it to look anyway,” Eunha quickly close her book as she didn’t want Chaeyoung to look into it. Chaeyoung just showed a bitter smile looked at Eunha act.

“Hey, it’s been a long time since we hang out together. Let’s go the Tteokppoki stall! I am craving it since morning,” Yerin suddenly throw an idea.

“That’s a good idea,” those four friends agreed.

After the school end, Chaeyoung and Yerin were heading first to the stall since Eunha and Sowon had a short meeting with their club. Chaeyoung said she will treat them. Her Mom gave an extra allowance to her. And, to avoid any suspiciousness and apologize for too much absent from their hang out activity, Chaeyoung offered herself to pay.

The queue was quite long today. Chaeyoung was surprised since the last time she came here was on the first day of the first semester. And that time, there weren’t any queue. Yerin said, this stall become popular since the popular food blogger upload it on his instagram. That food blogger also Sowon’s favorites next-door-school’s soccer team member, Kim Taehyung.

After 10 minutes queuing, Chaeyoung and Yerin finally managed to order two extra-large tteokpokki and sundae with cheese topping. Their favorite menu. They looking for an empty chair to wait for their friends. While they were waiting, Yerin was busy playing with her phone while Chaeyoung read a book and write a resume. She wanted to use her time as efficient as possible. Since she needs to teach Sowon, she didn’t have enough time to write a note. That’s why she should reduce her bed time to catch up for the lesson. Even at this time, she supposed to studying.

Chaeyoung was distracted as Yerin suddenly grumbling because her phone was run out of battery. She know when Yerin’s phone was off, Yerin will start a conversation. She didn’t want to reduce her bed time tonight, so she lends Yerin her own phone to keep Yerin busy watching her idols. Fifteen minutes later, Eunha and Sowon showed up. They apologize to made Chaeyoung and Yerin wait for a long time. Yerin was eagerly told them how hard to eat this menu. Thanks to that food blogger.

“Woah, I am sorry to make you wait! Wow, it look so delicious!” Eunha took a piece of tteokpokki with her chopstick. Followed by Chaeyoung and Yerin.

“You don’t want to eat, Sowon? It’s so delicious!!” Yerin asked Sowon with her full mouth.

“Can we… eat something else? I suddenly don’t want to eat this,” Sowon looked into her friend’s eyes with a sad face.

“Why??” Yerin was surprised till made her stop munching.

“Did eating tteokpeokki remind you of your grandma?” Eunha carefully asked her. Sowon didn’t answer. There was a silence time for a while. They were waiting for Sowon to answer.

“Can you just appreciate Yerin’s effort? She was standing for 10 minutes and endured 15 minutes to eat it despite of her love to this food only for you guys. And also, could you just let her go? Your grandma?” Chaeyoung broke the silence.

Those three were surprised with Chaeyoung’s word. They never imagined Chaeyoung could say something like that.

“Emm, Chaeyoung, it’s okay for me though. If Sowon didn’t want to eat it, then let’s found another place,” Yerin didn’t know how to do in this situation since her name was brought into this tense conversation.

“I know it still sad for you to lose your beloved grandma. But, you should move on too. You can’t keep acting like this forever. Moreover, you grandma must be really sad if she knew she made you sad. She won’t have a peaceful rest if you keep longing and mourning for her. And, it must be better if you…,” Chaeyoung paused her sentence when she realized she just raising her voice.

Yerin and Eunha look into each other. They were trapped in the awkward situation and they need to found a way out to get out.

“I am sorry. I didn’t meant to scold you or else. I just, I just reminiscence about my late grandpa. He said, I can’t cry when he left us. He wished to see a smile on his children and grandchildren’s face when we thinking about him. Because that signed that the memories he left were only happy memories,” Chaeyoung calmly explain her harsh words before.

“Oh yes, of course. You suddenly got sentimental. I can understand it,” Yerin broke the awkward atmosphere.

“Yea, anyone could be sensitive when remember the sad things, right? Hahaha,” Eunha also joined Yerin to help them escape this tense situation.

Chaeyoung’s phone was ringing and Yerin quickly gave it to her. From unknown number. He picked it up. It’s from Gaeun, her co-worker. Ga Eun said Jihyun, one of their co-worker too, was sick so she asked Ga Eun to take her shift. But, Ga Eun suddenly got a call from her professor so she asked Chaeyoung to replace her until her come. Chaeyoung wants to reject it, but that means, she should stay with her friends. And it will be become more awkward after what she said earlier. She wasn’t in her right mind right now. She decided to say yes to Ga Eun request. She was afraid if she stayed here more longer, she will say something that wasn’t in her control.

After hang up the phone call, Chaeyoung apologize and said something was come up and she really need to go. Her friends send her go without asking anything. Chaeyoung waving at them and quickly leave that tteokpokki stall.

“Welcome. What would you like to order? Ice americano, as usual?” Chaeyoung asked the regular costumer lady’s order.

“No. I’d like to have strawberry smoothies, please,” she smiled at Chaeyoung.

Ms. Kim, what times do you finished your job?” she asked while waiting for her order to be made.

“It’s around 7 PM,” Chaeyoung answered.

“Would you mind to spare some time for me? I have something to discuss with  you,” she give her name card to Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung took the name card hesitately. Her order was done and Chaeyoung give it to her. Before she leaves, she told Chaeyoung to called her once Chaeyoung has finished her job. Chaeyoung only nodded and smiled.

The clock that hanged on the wall showed that it’s already 7 PM. Chaeyoung said goodbye to Ga Eun who just finished changing into her uniform. She took her phone and press the number on the name card. She called the customer lady as requested. The customer lady told her she will pick her up on the shop and invite her for dinner. Ten minutes later, she come and pick Chaeyoung up.

The customer lady bring her to dine out in the family restaurant. Chaeyoung still have no idea what was this lady intention to bring her here. The lady seems to know that Chaeyoung was curious about her sudden invitation but she ignore it. She didn’t say anything even until they finished their dinner.

Chaeyoung sat uncomfortably because of her curiousness. But she didn’t dare to said anything. After finished their meal, the costumer lady order a dessert and also one package for take away. Knowing Chaeyoung getting more curious, the lady finally began to talk.

“Ms. Kim. I will go straight to the point because you seems very curious. I know you are still underage. And as you know too, your workplace isn’t hire a minor. That’s mean you are break the rule. Basically, minor was forbidden to work. But, the one who will getting a blame is either your boss or your parent,” she talked with a clear and strong voice.

It took longer for Chaeyoung to absorb that lady’s words. She was shocked because she never thought she would got cought. Her brain was worked hard to organize the words she was going to say to respond to that lady but she really can’t say anything.

“I bet you have so many questions in your head right now. How did I know about this fact? Should I told her the truth or should I deny it? What is this lady intention to tell me this fact? And maybe you are surprised because I said what exactly in your mind, right?” she let out a small laugh looked at Chaeyoung panic and confused expression.

Chaeyoung realize it’s no use to deny and lied to her. She simply nodded to answer all that lady questions. The lady smiled at her honesty and sipped her tea.

“Don’t worry, I won’t report it. I don’t really know about you, but I could tell, you are good girl. I believe you have something important, that’s why you need money and work part time. Actually, the reason I want to meet you is to offering you a good job. But you should quit your job at the coffee shop? Are you interested?” the lady finally told her intention.

“Actually, I did quit that job. But, I should work for another week. Since they have the prior notice rule,” she answered honestly.

“Really? If you quit, that’s mean you don’t need any part time job again? Ah, what a pity. I should find someone else,” The lady sounds disappointed

“May I know what the job is?” Chaeyoung was curious.

“I want you to be my son’s tutor. I think it won’t burden you since you also could studying while tutoring him. As for the salary, we could discuss it. But I guarantee you, I could give you a decent salary,” the lady explained.

“Really? What grade is your son? To tell you the truth, I am still in 11th grade. So I can’t teach a 12th grade,” Chaeyoung was happy because she could find a job without needed to decrease her studying time.

“Don’t worry. He is still in 10th grade. The schedule maybe twice or once a week. I will pay you per hour. Are you interested? the lady looks so happy.

“I will! But, you don’t have to pay me per hour. Per day is okay for me too. I thought per hour was too much,” Chaeyoung worried the salary was too much for her.

Nah, it’s not that much remember how much effort you should spend for my son. For your information, my son is quite difficult to handle. I hope you could getting along well with him. If he did something unpleasant to you, don’t hesitate to tell me. I will scold him. If this is okay for you, you could began to tutor him tomorrow,”

“Don’t worry. I have a younger brother. I know one two things to handle a rebelious boy. Thank you so much Mrs,”

They shake hands as a sign for the deal. The take away order were ready then they leave the restaurant. After pay for the bill, the lady gives the take away package to Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung refuse it but the lady said it was for her brother. It will be unfair if she could eat something delicious without share it with her brother. Chaeyoung couldn’t do anything but to thank her for her kindness.

The lady insists to take Chaeyoung home because she felt bad for took Chaeyoung’s time. They were having a chat on the way. Chaeyoung was curious why did the lady suddenly offered her to become her son’s tutor. She laughed hearing Chaeyoung’s question. She told Chaeyoung that she saw Chaeyoung wearing an uniform and reading the 11th grade text book while sitting on the tteokpokki stall today. She said she was in that neighborhood to meet her client. But, her client was late so she decided to eat the tteokpokki while waiting.

She wants to greet Chaeyoung when she saw her, but she didn’t do it because she thought it will be awkward for Chaeyoung because Chaeyoung was with her friends. She sat behind Chaeyoung and unintentionally hearing their little quarrel. She was amazed by the way Chaeyoung scold her friend. She thought Chaeyoung was perfect to teach her son.

The next day, Chaeyoung come to the lady’s home. She was told to start tutoring from today because the final test was around the corner. The lady wanted her to give an intensive tutoring in this one week. She apologized to Chaeyoung because she told her to come early in the morning. She needs to go to business trip next week and had to catch the plan on 11 AM.

The lady left Chaeyoung on the living room and went to call her son. She wanted to introduce him to his new tutor. A few minutes later, the tall boy wearing a sweat suit and holding a towel to drying his hair come out. The lady told him to sit down and introduce Chaeyoung as his new tutor.

“Park Chaeyoung,” Chaeyoung reached out her hands.

“Kim Namjoon,” Namjoon shook her hands.

“I wish you could listen to your tutor well this time. Take a picture when you had tutoring session as a proof. And Ms. Park, I wish for your understanding and I really count on you to teach my son. You are free to using any ways so this kid will study. Ah, seems like I should go now. If you need anything, you could ask Ms. Gong. She was the one who help me to keep this house. Namjoon, I wish you could behave well. Don’t cause any trouble anymore,” The lady warned her son.

“Yes, Mom,” Namjoon answered half-heartedly.

The lady seems like she really in such a hurry. She hugged her son and then shook Chaeyoung’s hand then quickly dragged her suitcase to get on the taxi. After sent her off, Chaeyoung was left alone with Namjoon. It was so awkward. They went back into the living room and sat awkwardly.

“So, Namjoon, where should we start the lesson?” Chaeyoung tried to start a conversation in this heavy awkward atmosphere.

“I don’t feel like to study this early. I had a schedule till 3 PM and I can’t cancel it,” Namjoon answered. Namjoon was looked somewhat intimidating in Chaeyoung’s eyes.

“Well, I do have a schedule too around that hour. How about 6 PM? Are you free?” she tried to match their schedule.

“Fine. But, I am not the type who carrying my book around. It’s heavy so I hate it. Moreover, I can’t focus when I studying at home, let’s meet outside. You had my number, right? If you don’t have, you could ask my mom. Send me a text when you already finish your schedule. I will tell you the location where we should meet. Any question?” Namjoon looked like he want to finish it quickly.

“Eh, ah… No. I got it. What about the subject? What kind of subject that you want to learn first? It will be better when you tell me about the chapter that you don’t understand. So I will prepare the material beforehand,” Chaeyoung was nervous because she never tutored someone before.

“It’s up to you. I am fine with anything. You don’t have any question anymore, right? I will back to my room. You can leave if you want. Let’s meet on 6 PM,” Namjoon bowed and walked back to his room.

Chaeyoung was left alone on the living room. For a slightly moment, she regret it that she accepted this job. But, the thought of her parents and her brother popped out on her head. She hypnotized herself that this job is better than working on coffee shop. And her student, maybe wasn’t as cold and scary as he looks once she getting to know him.