I Think I

Excuse Me?

“Let's date,”

After those words were uttered, the room turned so quiet. Only the sounds of the machines could be heard. Jaehyun’s heart was beating so fast, and his head was spinning, failing to digest what he just heard. Receiving a confession out of the blue successfully made his mind stop functioning.

“Naeun always adores us. Well, she shipped us. Although she always seems like she hates me and got mad whenever I about our closeness, she actually likes it when we are together. Just say, she is a younger sister who doesn't want her brother to get stolen. So… Can we fulfill her wish?” without giving a chance for Jaehyun to respond, she quickly exposed her ulterior motive. Although she was asking that question because of Naeun, she was so afraid to hear Jaehyun’s answer. So, before Jaehyun gave his answer, she quickly told him the backstory.

The statements from Chaeyoung made Jaehyun experience second confusion. She said it briefly and clearly, but he still couldn’t find the right reaction to respond to it. His heart was in chaos. This was too sudden. He didn’t know whether he should feel disappointed, upset, or glad. It wasn’t easy for him to sort his feeling. Even after Chaeyoung drank all her instant coffee, he still standing, staring at the vending machine, trying to figure out the situation he was in.

“Why?” finally he spoke for the first time. Frustrated for not being able to understand his own heart, he decided to ask more questions. That way, he hoped he could act in the right way.

Chaeyoung stared at him, demanding more explanation about that question.

“Why should we do it?” he continued without looking at her. His eyes were still fixated on the vending machine.

“It’s because… She once told Lisa she wanted to see us together. So, I thought we should do it for her for the last…” she stuttered because she couldn’t find the right word to end her sentences.

“Stop it. You… Aren't you going too far? How can you think something so awful like that? How can you assume we would never see her again?” instead of raising his voice like a normal person when they got mad, Jaehyun talked with a soft and sad voice. He wasn’t mad, he was disappointed. And it hurts Chaeyoung so much. Feeling ashamed, she didn’t dare to say a single word to defend herself. Lucky Naeun’s Mom called Jaehyun to ask about their whereabouts.

“You can go first, I had to go to the bathroom,” said Jaehyun after ending the phone call. He then walked away without looking at her even for once. Chaeyoung was now left alone. She knew Jaehyun must be very mad. After he left, she set her facial expression before coming to Naeun’s room.

The corridor was so quiet, and it was sending a gloomy feeling. That feeling was getting heavier when Chaeyoung reached Naeun’s room. Her parents greet her happily, but the sadness was clearly seen on their smiling faces.

Chaeyoung knocked on the door and before entering, she warmed her facial muscle up and come inside with a wide smile. There was a small and skinny pretty girl lying down on the hospital bed looking so weak in her hospital gown. For a second, the smiling mask that she wore was almost cracking. But, just like a professional actress she quickly adjusted the mask, so the crack won’t happen. She came closer to her, greet her in her usual way then turned around showing off her beautiful dress.

“Unnie, you look so pretty. Like a princess,” Naeun said it with her hoarse voice.

Chaeyoung pinched her own hand to stop the tears from coming out. Naeun never compliments her first. It’s always her who was bragging out first. She purposely does it to made Naeun say the compliment. This time, Naeun did the opposite. She compliments her first and it scared her even more. Whenever people do something, they don’t usually do, was worrisome.

“Of course. I always look pretty,” she was smiling widely and tried to behave like her usual self.

Naeun then asked about the prom night party. Happily, Chaeyoung told her about it from start to end. Of course, she was lying by saying Jaehyun was her prom date. Naeun jealousy was clearly seen, and she didn’t hesitate to express it. It made Chaeyoung feel so relieved because she was back to her usual self again.

“Unnie…,” Naeun called her with a soft and tiny voice.

“Yes?” she responded while keeping her smile.

“I don’t have any siblings. Thank you for making me feel like I have a real sister. I’m sorry for all my rude behavior. I just doing it because I envy you. That’s why I hope I can be reborn as a person who is as cool as you,” when she said it, she looked so shy, but her eyes were showing how sincere her words were.

“Me too. Thanks for making me have a sister. And also… Ah, I really really don’t want to admit it but… Truthfully, you are cooler than me. When I was your age I still cried when I get shot. I was such a crybaby. I am sure a few years later, you will grow up as someone who is waaay much cooler, prettier, and better than me,” with such a firm and cool way, Chaeyoung also praised her. But, unlike Naeun who was holding in her shyness, Chaeyoung was holding in her sadness. She was feeling so touched because of her words, and the longer she looked at her eyes, the harder they fight against the tears.

Like a miracle, the phone on Chaeyoung’s purse was buzzing. She took it out and saw Lisa was calling her. It’s good timing. She couldn’t bear to stay in that room because she would burst into tears. After asking Naeun’s permission, she went out of the room and almost bumped into Jaehyun who was about to enter. Both of them were moving to Chaeyoung’s left side, then reflexively moved to the right side at the same time. They then looked at each other awkwardly. Jaehyun then stopped moving and Chaeyoung took this moment to pass through the door.

After taking some distance from Naeun’s room, Chaeyoung picked up the call and walked towards the waiting room. The first thing that Lisa had said when Chaeyoung answered the call was whether she won first place in the competition. Chaeyoung scoffed and said she left before they announced it. Looking at the time, they probably announced it by now. Lisa continued with complaining. She said Jaehyun was supposed to call her instead of Jungkook to replace him. Even without practicing, they could show an immaculate performance. Besides, Lisa could capture both man and woman’s hearts. She believed they could win. What Lisa said was made Chaeyoung smile. For a second, she was able to forget the sadness.

“Anyway, are you with him right now?” Lisa finally talked in a calmer voice.

“Yes… Well, no. We are in the same place, but not in the same room. Why?” Chaeyoung was curious why she was suddenly asking about their whereabouts

Lisa took a deep breath before telling Chaeyoung about her previous phone call with Jaehyun. The reason Lisa was calling him was to vent her complaint about ruining Chaeyoung’s stage but instead, she was the one who got to hear Jaehyun venting his anger. She said Jaehyun was angry because Chaeyoung was assuming it would probably be their last time to meet Naeun.

Hearing what Lisa said made Chaeyoung gasp. Hearing it from someone else indeed made her look so heartless. On the other hand, Lisa could picture how Chaeyoung must felt. She then said she already explained it to Jaehyun. The reason why Chaeyoung thought like that. A few years ago, Chaeyoung was in the same situation like tonight. When she lived in Australia, her neighbor, with who she was so close that already seems like her real grandpa, woke up from a comma. That grandpa was asking to meet her, but she didn’t come right away because she was attending her friend’s birthday party. The next day, when she arrived, it was already late. That incident carved deeply in her heart. Her action tonight was the result of it. She didn’t want to repeat the same mistake.

As someone who was volunteering in the treatment center and the nursing home, Lisa knew well about this situation. She has already witnessed this situation a few times. People who fell into a coma or in critical condition suddenly getting all better in one night could mean two things. First, it was a miracle that they were finally healed. Or two, they wanted to bid their farewell. Lisa knew it must be hard for Chaeyoung to tell him straightforwardly so she was glad the timing she called Jaehyun was right on time.

“It must be hard for Jaehyun. I think you should stay with him. You should keep him strong. This situation is hard to face no matter how many times you experience it. But still, the first always the harder,” Lisa sounded so calm when encouraging Chaeyoung to stay by his side. She knew Chaeyoung planned to take some distance from Jaehyun to prevent his anger from getting bigger. But this time, Jaehyun really need someone to lean on.

“I got it. Thanks for telling him that. I think I should go and stay with him now. Thanks, Lis,” Chaeyoung ended the phone call. What Lisa said was right and it made her walk back in. When she was arriving in front of her room, she was looking inside through the small window on the door. Jaehyun was sitting beside her and seems to listen to her story. She was a bit hesitant about whether she should come in or not. But, considering Lisa’s advice, she decided to come inside. Quietly, she slide the door and walked closer to them. She stood behind Jaehyun and when Naeun saw her, she smiled.

Seeing the two persons in front of her wearing a nice outfit, she began to ask about the prom night party. Naeun already asked them the same question, but she re-asked them again. As if it was their first time getting questioned, they were answering fully with enthusiasm. Their teamwork worked so well when they were recreating the scene of the singing competition. People who heard and watch them would believe they were there and do all those things. When in fact, the one who was there wasn’t Jaehyun, but someone else.

“That sounds like a story from a fairytale. I wish I could attend that party,” said Naeun.

“Of course, you can. When you get better, let’s hold a party and invite other sisters and brothers. Naeun’s friends too!” Jaehyun was trying to cheer her up.

Naeun was smiling and looked so happy when she imagined it. Just wakened up after being unconscious for days made Naeun easily tired. Jaehyun could see that and told her to take a rest. She nodded and closed her eyes.

“Oppa,” called Naeun with closed eyes.

“Yes?” Jaehyun responded while still her hair to helped her fall asleep.

“Please take care of my mom and dad,” said Naeun with a voice that slowly faded away.

“Of course,” said Jaehyun with a trembling voice. He then quickly cleared his throat to not make it obvious.

“Oppa will…,” although he already cleared his throat, he couldn’t stop his voice from shaking.

A warm thing suddenly wrapped his hand which was as cold as an ice. He looked down and saw Chaeyoung was holding his hand. Another help came from her other hand which now patting his back. She could hear his cracking voice and now trying to calm him down.

“Oppa… Oppa will always pray for your recovery. Don’t worry about Mom and Dad, Oppa will take care of them. So, don’t give up and keep fighting,” he said while biting his lips, afraid he would burst into tears.

Slowly, Naeun opened her eyes and gave a relieved smile. Afraid it will make her sad, Jaehyun and Chaeyoung were showing their best smile to comfort her.

“Should we take a picture?” Chaeyoung suddenly barged in and cut all that touched moment. Naeun nodded weakly. She then took her phone and started to take a selfie with two of them. After taking some pictures, Chaeyoung told Naeun to take a rest and asked Jaehyun to call her parents in. Jaehyun stood up from the chair and do as he was told.

“Unnie. Please take care of Jaehyun Oppa,” said Naeun when Jaehyun left the room.

Chaeyoung nodded and assured Naeun not to worry. Naeun was then about to say something but didn’t when she saw Jaehyun enter the room with her parents. She then made a gesture to Chaeyoung to get closer. Chaeyoung did as she told and Naeun was whispering something on her ears. After she heard it, she smiled and whispered her answer. After that, she said goodbye to her and together with Jaehyun left the room.

It was getting late and they were tired, both physically and mentally. They went through lots of events today and some of it was draining their energy. As a result, they were just walking in silence until got out of the hospital. Chaeyoung broke the silence first by suggesting they take a taxi. It’s too tiresome for Jaehyun and it would be dangerous to drive in his condition right now. He didn’t say anything at first but then agreed with her. He didn’t want to take a risk. Moreover, he was a beginner driver.

After a few minutes, finally, a taxi stopped in front of them. Chaeyoung got in followed by Jaehyun. They have a quarrel, but Jaehyun still had an obligation to safely her home. The taxi ride was so quiet. None of them bothered to start a conversation. The situation was so uncomfortable that made the driver turn on the radio and made the volume a bit louder. The long ride was finally over when the driver stopped the car in front of Chaeyoung’s apartment building.

“Naeun, will be okay, right?” asked Jaehyun while Chaeyoung pull the car door handle.

Chaeyoung took a deep breath then turned her head to look at Jaehyun who sat next to her. She stared at him in the eyes and slowly formed a smile on her lips.

“What will happen, I believe, God has a better plan for her,” said Chaeyoung before she left the car.

Jaehyun just looked at her without saying nor reacting until she left. The driver then asked Jaehyun whether they could leave now. Jaehyun apologized and quickly said his destination. While looking out of the car window, Jaehyun was thinking about her statement. Her answer wasn’t the answer he was hoping to hear. But, she wasn’t lying. What she said was right. And, it made his heart even more hurt.

***

“Oh, !” cursed Jungkook when his game character got shot. He took off his headphone and leaned on his chair. The sound of a growling stomach was heard, and it made him look at the clock. It’s not dinner time yet but he was so hungry. Jungkook stood up from the chair, left his room, and headed straight to the kitchen. He opened the cabinet, looking for something to eat. There were several biscuits but his hand choose to take one package of ramyeon. While crushing on the uncooked noodle that was still in the package, Jungkook was wandering around the house, looking for his mom. She wasn’t here. Maybe she was heading out somewhere and will be back before dinner.

After the noodle was crushed, he opened the package and put on some of the seasonings into it, close the package by grabbing at the opened side, and lastly shook it so the seasoning got mixed with the noodle. The snack was ready and now he was back in his room while eating the raw ramyeon. Before starting the new game session, he was watching some videos and enjoying his ramyeon. Unlike when he was playing games, he used a speaker instead of headphones to watched videos.

“Drrrttt drrrrttt…,” Jungkook could hear his phone was buzzing but he ignored it. He was too lazy to move around and continue to watch the video.

“Drrrrtt drrrrt…,” the phone was so persistence and it kept buzzing without pause. Somehow it annoys Jungkook. He kicked on one of the table’s legs to give some force to the chair so that he could move to the bed without getting up from the chair.

Jungkook looked at the phone screen and quickly grabbed it after he saw it was Jaehyun. Sadly, before he picked it up the call was ended. He saw the notification and there were 5 missed calls from Jaehyun. It made him quickly call him back, afraid there was something urgent.

“Jungkook! I need your help!” Jungkook was surprised by the first word he heard. Jaehyun sounds so panicked while asking for help.

“Sure, what is it?” without further thinking, he quickly agreed to help him because it seems so urgent.

“Please substitute me for a singing competition. I sent the invitation through the messenger. Please I beg you! Thanks, Captain. Sorry, my phone is…,”

Jungkook put the phone away from his ear and saw the screen. The phone call was ended before Jaehyun finished his sentence. He then checked on his messenger and saw a document sent by Jaehyun. He opened it and got more surprised. It was an invitation to attend a prom night party and the party already started! Panicking because he didn’t know what to do, he called Mingyu for help. He put the phone on speaker and told Mingyu about his situation.

As a human encyclopedia, Mingyu explained everything to Jungkook in the fastest and easiest way about the party and the event he was about to attend. When he finally understands the situation, he started to get panicked. Started from the outfit, song, and the duet partner. Luckily, through a phone call, Mingyu was able to guide him. One by one they were getting the list done. First, the outfit. He wore the black suit he was supposed to wear at his uncle’s wedding. Second, after reading the invitation card carefully, he found out he was there as Chaeyoung’s prom date. Lastly, he decided to sing Lucky by Jason Mraz ft. Colbie Caillat as the song he gonna sing in the competition.

“Son, where are you going?” asked his mom once he got down from his room. Shyly he told her he was going to a prom night. The expression on his mom’s face was quickly changed. Without asking, she grabbed the car key and told him to hurry. She would give him a ride. On the way, while playing the song and the help from his mom, Jungkook was busy practicing and memorizing the lyrics.

They finally arrived at Chaeyoung’s school. Before he got out, his mom checked on him for the last time. After he got an “okay” from his mom, he quickly entered the gate. While he was scanning the barcode, someone was calling his name. He turned his head and saw Yerin was running towards him. Once the scan was done, Yerin grabbed his arm, and they were running inside. Jungkook didn’t know what happened but he obediently followed Yerin’s path. Now, they were already inside the auditorium. While uttering an apology for passing through the people, they were abruptly stopped. Without even getting the chance to scan the situation, Dokyeom who suddenly appeared in front of him handed a mic to him. Due to the fast-changing situation, he became too nervous and panicked. It causes him to drop the mic.

Afraid he broke the mic, instinctively he checked it and was surprised when he heard his voice through the speaker. The eyes of the people around him were sharply staring at him. It made him realize what just happened. Quickly, without further thinking, he started the first verse of the song. His heart was beating so fast, afraid it was not Chaeyoung’s turn yet. But, when he heard a familiar voice, he was feeling so relieved. Now, he confidently walked towards the stage. His eyes were stopped at the black-dressed girl who was already waiting for him at the edge of the stage. She was so gorgeous tonight.

When he was on the stage, the musician soul inside him which had been sleeping for too long was awakened. He was surprised at how well he was performing on stage. What made him even surprised was how great his chemistry was with her. They had never talked about it before, but only from eye contact, they were able to read each other’s minds.

He didn’t know where he got all the courage that suddenly flowed through his body tonight. Not only he was doing something cringy to express the song, but he was also able to make some dangerous jokes while being interviewed by the MC. People were suspecting something was going on between them. Instead of denying, he was giving a vague answer. Once again, he was surprised at how he wasn’t being himself tonight.

After they finished their performance, Nayeon and Dokyeom came. Jungkook already know what Nayeon was about to do and prepared his ears for it. Luckily, Chaeyoung, with the help of Dokyeom, ruined Nayeon's plan and quickly run away by taking him to the food section.

Unfinished business would always linger until you finished it. While they were having a conversation and eating some food, Nayeon and Dokyeom came over. Without prior notification, Nayeon scolded him because he almost embarrassed Chaeyoung in front of the entire school. Honestly, he didn’t feel guilty about the accusation. Practically, it’s not his fault. Unlike him who didn’t feel bothered, Chaeyoung looked so sorry. The expression on her face made Jungkook feel some weird energy suddenly flowing through his entire body. To ease Chaeyoung’s mind, he countered Nayeon’s nag with a lie. He wasn’t good at lying but strangely he told all the lies fluently. The lie he told was hard to believe but somehow, he managed to make Nayeon believe it. Luckily, this lie talk didn’t last long as Nayeon’s cheerleader's friends were calling her.

After Nayeon left, their conversation continued without any problems until the topic of the reason why Jaehyun couldn’t come was brought up. The expression on her face slightly changed and it made Jungkook remember the thing he was curious about. She said she didn’t mad at Jaehyun. Instead of being mad, she was deadly worried about him.

The way she talked and describe Jaehyun was enough to tell how close their relationship was. It wasn’t shocking news to Jungkook, but his heart still stings. As if it was accidentally cut by a knife. Not only that, Jungkook could feel there was a tall and thick invisible wall that was built between him and them. Jungkook was on the other side of the wall, and it was nearly impossible to climb it.

Nearly impossible doesn’t mean it was totally impossible. Even if there was a 0,0001% chance, it was still a chance. It was worth the try. He suddenly stood up and asked Chaeyoung to help him promote their performance. Just like Jaehyun, Jungkook also shared the same personality, and it was they both were overly competitive. He didn’t want to lose once he entered a competition. It’s like killing two birds with one stone. If he won, he could fulfill Jaehyun’s goal to make her win, she got the camera, and Jungkook could fulfill his desire.

People rarely see it, but Chaeyoung was actually a very competitive person. That’s why she had no problem agreeing with Jungkook’s idea. That duo was eagerly promoting their performance to almost all the students on that prom night. Just like the professional marketing team, they were using people’s curiosity about their relationship to gain their attention. They purposely made people think they had something going on, but when they asked them for confirmation, they were cleverly avoiding it with witty jokes or a questionable statement. Yes, they could do that far only to win.

Tonight, that duo acted like the host of this party. They already say hi to almost everyone in the auditorium, even the teachers. Now, it’s time to end it. Chaeyoung had to create precious memories with her beloved friends. When she was interacting with her friends, Jungkook hang out with other prom dates. Basically, Jungkook was a friendly guy, but he was only being friendly with boys, not girls. Went to an all-boys school since the middle school made him awkward with girls. He also purposely acted not friendly because he was afraid the girls would misunderstand his kindness and end up liking him. If it ended up that way, it would cause him more trouble. He didn’t want to hurt their feeling, but if he got soft, they would keep bothering him.

“Wow, you are totally different from what my girlfriends told me. You are so down to earth despite being the national star. And also, you are nothing near to the cold image as the rumor said,”

Those were the comments he often heard tonight. Not only from boys, but also from the student at this school. This time, when some girls approached him, he didn’t back off like he usually does. Somehow, he felt so confident, and instead of chasing them away, he was being so nice and friendly. Strangely, those girls also didn’t show any uncomfortable action. Unlike usual which the girls mostly flirted with him, this time, they just acted as some curious people who just wanted to get to know him.

The different treatment the girls gave him tonight made him remember what Mingyu said to him. He just needed to stick near Chaeyoung and the girls won’t dare to flirt with him. It also made him realize something. All the students he talks to were seeing Chaeyoung as the real queen. They respect and love her. Sometimes, they gave a cold stare or a judging look when he was making an ambiguous statement about their relationship. It seems like they said “he didn’t deserve her, she was too good for him” with their eyes.

Being carried away interacting with other guests, Jungkook was losing a track of time and place. He realized it when one by one the prom dates were leaving and getting back to their partner. Jungkook looked around but couldn’t find Chaeyoung. Luckily, he found Yerin and asked her whereabouts. Yerin said she was taking a phone call. Maybe she went somewhere quiet. Jungkook thanked her then started to search for Chaeyoung. When he was looking around, The MC announced that they would announce the winner in a few minutes. They asked all the participants to gather near the stage. Hearing that made Jungkook was in hurry to find her.

The best place to observe the whole auditorium was near the entrance door. He stood there and scanned every corner, yet he couldn’t find her. If she was making a call, then the best place was outside this auditorium. Following his guts, he walked outside and started to roam around. When he was about to make a turn to the back of the auditorium, he saw Chaeyoung was coming out and walking to the school gate. He was about to call her, but he didn’t when he saw Jaehyun was walking behind her. He didn’t know why but he instinctively hid and secretly observed those two. Chaeyoung was walking ahead and Jaehyun was trying to chase her. It’s a bit far from Jungkook but he saw they were walking hand in hand once Jaehyun catch her up.

The indescribable feeling was striking Jungkook’s heart after he witnessed that scene. He couldn’t tell what he just feeling right now. His heart was beating fast, but his lungs seem to not work normally because he felt a bit hard to breathe. He felt a bit pissed, but it was hurt at the same time. Not only was his feeling in disarray, but his body was doing the same too. His rational brain told him to not look at them, yet he kept his eyes on them until they disappeared.

“Jeon Jungkook,” someone called him, and he finally moved his head from the spot he last saw them to the person who called.

It’s Yuju. She told Jungkook that Chaeyoung had something urgent coming up, so she had to leave. She bumped into her when she was about to leave and asked to relay it to Jungkook. Jungkook nodded and did not say anything.

“The announcement is about to begin. I think you shouldn’t attend. Chaeyoung isn’t here, so I think it will be weird if you, her prom date, are still here. I’m afraid people will be gossiping,” Yuju gave him some advice.

“It’s okay. Nothing is going on between us. So, it won’t hurt either of us,” ignoring his own feeling, Jungkook was saying something that might look cool.

“I know. But still, people don’t want to know about that fact. Gossip is still gossip. Whether it’s true or not, if it’s bad, it still hurt. And… Prevention’s still the best way to avoid a problem,”

What Yuju said seems so convincing, besides, he was well aware that his mind not working properly right now. So, without a second thought, he agreed with Yuju. She then handed something to his hand, it’s her car key. She told him to wait for her in her car. If he left the school alone, people might see him, and the gossip will become wilder. Jungkook nodded and went to the car park while Yuju came back inside to tell her friends she would leave first.

Five minutes later, someone was knocking on the car’s window. Jungkook saw it and quickly opened the door for Yuju. After they safely left the school, Jungkook told her to drop him at the nearest subway station. Yuju chuckled and said, it was risky since there might be students who recognized him.

“Thanks for the ride,” said Jungkook before getting out of the car.

“No prob. I am about to leave anyway. Ah, right! It’s better for you to not wander around. You might not aware, but you are pretty popular in my school. I am afraid people will gossip,” Yuju gave him the last warning.

Jungkook nodded and said he will be careful. After thanking her once again, he left the car and quickly went to the nearest convenience store. He bought a packet of masks to hide his face. When he was paying for the mask, he saw a new incoming message. It’s from Chaeyoung. She apologized for leaving abruptly. There was something urgent and she had to leave. He was typing the reply which ensured her that he was okay, and she shouldn’t worry. After he sent the reply, his brain was replaying the scene he saw earlier, and his mood quickly become strange. After the payment finished, he took one sheet of the mask, put it on his face, and started to wander around this unfamiliar street. He had to spend a minimum of 30 minutes before coming back home. That way, his Mom won't get suspicious if there was something unfavorable about this event.

Feeling thirsty after walking for quite some time, Jungkook entered a café and bought refreshing lemonade. When he waited for his beverage to be made, he took his phone and scrolled through the chat history between him and Mingyu. He stopped scrolling after he found the link Mingyu sent to him. He clicked on it and started to fill in the questionnaire. The beverage was done before he finished, so he decided to stay for a while in that café.

“Congratulations, you are in a denial state. If you want to confirm your feeling, click the link below to find some tips,”

Jungkook chuckled when he read the result. He couldn't believe it and started to type on the search engine for “the sign you are being denied when liking someone”. He read a few articles yet he still didn't want to admit it. In the end, he gave up and decided to go back home. He was back right on time according to the prom night schedule. Jungkook pressed the bell on the gate and it automatically opened. He came inside and his mom welcomed him with a warm smile and curious eyes. She asked him whether he had already eaten, and he said he was so full.

On his way home, Jungkook already practicing the things that he would say to his mom when she asked about tonight. But, until she finished taking shower and was about to go to his room, his Mom didn’t say anything. She just gave him a curious attitude without asking. He was glad but anxious at the same time. Before he went up, he sat next to his mom who was working in the living room.

“Mom, is everything okay?” couldn’t hold his curiosity about his mom's strange behavior, he decided to confront her.

His mom looked at him with a confused face and asked what’s the reason he asked her. Jungkook said it was strange how she didn’t ask him anything about the prom night.

“So, do you want to tell me about it? I am more than happy to hear it,” said his Mom while putting on her laptop on the table.

“No. No. It’s just… You are acting strange. It’s making me worry,” Jungkook hasn’t ready to tell about tonight. He needed to organized his feeling first.

“Ugh, I am so dying to know, but your Dad warned me not to ask. He didn’t want me to give him a spoiler. So, I had no choice but to wait. He will come home tomorrow, so you can save the story for later. Now, you should go to bed and have a sweet dream,” she took the laptop back to her lap.

Although Jungkook was about to comment about their antic, he kept it then bid farewell to his mom. He climbed the stairs, opened the bedroom door, then threw his body to the bed. As usual, before he went to bed, he took his phone, whether to check on messages or play some games. Tonight, he decided to reply to some messages, one of them was from Mingyu. He was asking about tonight's prom night, but rather than replying, he clicked on the link Mingyu gave him. Unsatisfied with the previous result, Jungkook retook the questionnaire. As expected, it showed the same result. Jungkook put his phone away, closed his eyes, but a second later, he stood up and headed to the desk. He scanned the pile of books and took the one he was so familiar with. The rose-covered book. He opened the first page and started to re-read it again for the third time.

The morning was coming. The ray of sunshine woke Jungkook up. He blinked fast and when he was finally able to get his blurry vision back, he was jumping in scare. A big and tall figure was standing beside his bed and looking at him with an intense stare. Mingyu was standing with his arms folded. After Jungkook was aware of his presence, he took the book beside Jungkook’s pillow. He looked at the book then to Jungkook. Next, he took Jungkook’s phone and saw the browser. There were several windows, and finally, after looking at them one by one, he saw the one he was looking for.

“Denial, huh. As expected. You are looking through the answer all night long, now, tell me, what’s the conclusion? Are you decided to raise a butterfly or does the butterfly already living well on your stomach?” asked Mingyu while sitting down on the bed.

“I don’t know. It’s not an easy task,” said Jungkook while rolling over on his bed to give some space to Mingyu to lie down.

“Because of Jaehyun?” although Jungkook didn’t say it, Mingyu already know the answer. It was a classic problem between friends. Having the same crush, later, they should choose between friendship or love. It’s become a classic problem for a reason. No matter how classic it was, the person tangled in that was always facing a problem to solve it.

Didn’t know what to answer, Jungkook choose to tell the story about last night. Hoping Mingyu would help him to make a conclusion. He told him everything, including his mixed feeling. Even until now, he didn’t know what he was feeling. But, unlike what Jungkook expected him to do, Mingyu didn’t want to help him decide. Just like what Jisoo said, it’s better to let them decide for themselves. Besides, Jungkook was the only one who have the right to decide about his own feeling. Mingyu’s decision made Jungkook a bit upset but he knew Mingyu did that for his own sake.

“Hey, you know what’s funny? I once told Namjoon that, he shouldn’t give up chasing his crush unless he is in two conditions. First, if the girl was already taken, and second, if the love rival is Jung Jaehyun,” Jungkook was laughing at his own advice. It made him look so pathetic.

“Do you think you are the only one who suffers? What about me? My love rival is Seokjin Hyung. He got everything, the brain, the visual. What’s even worse? He is her ex. How the hell I can win over him?” Jungkook’s concern was contagious. Now, Mingyu realized that his own love rival was as impossible to win as Jungkook.

The room suddenly became so quiet as they both were thinking about how pathetic they were. Not only that their fate, but also their condition right now made them way more pathetic. Two unemployed men lying on the bed, looking at the ceiling, lamenting their sad fate.

“HAHAHAHA,” the laughter suddenly burst out. They were having the same mind and decided to encourage each other. They were practically losing in most aspects, and the only thing they had was the spirit to not give up.

Those two men finally left the bed when their own moms were calling them. Today, Jungkook’s Dad was coming from Busan and they planned to have a big feast at home. To prepare it, Jungkook’s Mom was asking Mingyu’s Mom assistance. That explains why Mingyu was already in Jungkook’s home early in the morning.

The discussion about the classic love problem continued when they were buying groceries for the moms. Jungkook hasn’t sure about his feeling yet, but he already felt awkward around Jaehyun. Mingyu ensure him that there was nothing between Jaehyun and Chaeyoung, at least until now. He already knew about that fact, but he still felt insecure. He ever thinking to ask Jaehyun directly about it, but he was afraid of the answer. But, if he didn’t know, he was feeling so guilty. It feels like he stabbed Jaehyun in the back.

Mingyu wanted to give a suggestion, but he was afraid it would be too biased. Since he was on Team Jungkook. That made him refrain to say anything. He then thought about another way and came out with an idea. He told Jungkook to ask Dokyeom about this situation. Dokyeom had an experience, and his suggestion would be more reliable. Jungkook didn’t get it at first, but later, he realized, the experience that he meant must be about Nayeon.

Without wasting any second, Mingyu called Dokyeom and asked whether they could hang out today. The first step went well as planned. Dokyeom was saying yes to his invitation. Next, Mingyu would pretend to get late for their meeting. During the time Dokyeom waiting for Mingyu, Jungkook will accidentally meets Dokyeom and had a talk with him. Once Jungkook finished asking all the questions, he would send Mingyu a message as a signal. After Jungkook left, Mingyu would show up and pretended to “just come”.

Finished with the task, those two filial sons finally got their free time. They were heading towards the appointed place where Dokyeom already waiting. Jungkook only had limited time, since Mingyu couldn’t be late for too long. Not only that Jungkook also had another schedule. His Dad was asking him to accompany him to buy a gift for his mom. In that limited time, he should get as much as information he needed.

“Dokyeomie?” Jungkook started his acting by pretending to get surprised seeing Dokyeom in the café.

Innocent Dokyeom was excited when he saw Jungkook. He felt happy because he had a company while waiting for Mingyu who will be late. Suddenly Jungkook felt bad for scamming him. It made him determined to get his answer as quickly as possible. As the opening, Jungkook was talking about the reason he was in that area. He told him he was waiting for his Dad who had an appointment around here. They then continued with the normal and trivial conversation.

“Anyway, how could you leave me out when talking about how you date Nayeon,” Jungkook said the line Mingyu prepared for him as the transition.

The question Jungkook threw made Dokyeom excrete cold sweat. The guilt built up as he remembered he finally dared to bring this topic up to his friends but when Jungkook wasn’t around. Seeing Dokyeom’s reaction made Jungkook sure he was biting the bait he purposely threw. To make made him guiltier, Jungkook continued by saying he felt a bit betrayed because he kept his relationship a secret. He didn’t need to do that, first because the dating ban was lifted and second because it was completely fine to date her.

As a gullible type, Dokyeom couldn’t stand to see his friend being hurt because of him. To pay for his mistake, without hesitation, he told Jungkook about everything. From the start to the end of how his love developed. The story started far before Jungkook met Nayeon. Dokyeom first met Nayeon at the music academy. He had a crush on her but had no courage to get close to her. His chance finally came when Nayeon become their team cheerleader. Sadly, he missed that chance because he knew Nayeon had a feeling for Jungkook.

“What? Seriously? Then, why did you never tell us about her? You never mentioned your crush at music academy was her!” it was the first time Jungkook heard about it. Dokyeom never told them he had someone he likes on the music academy but had no idea it was Nayeon.

Dokyeom was grinning and said he didn’t have any confidence. The other reason why he didn’t tell them her name was because he was afraid. Their circle was known for their bravery. If he told them, he was afraid they would do something unimaginable. Nayeon was so popular, and her exes were handsome and popular too. That’s why he was burying his feeling and decided to just adore her from afar.

“Bro, among us, you are the one who was the closest to her. You are the one who persuade her to be our cheerleader!” just like soap opera viewers, Jungkook was feeling so frustrated when listening to his story.

“Yeah, I was the closest, so that I know her feeling. She told me directly that she likes you. She even asked me to help her to get close to you,” Dokyeom had no intention to make Jungkook feel guilty, but he had no choice. It was the fact, and he should tell him about it.

Jungkook remembered all of those. Dokyeom was the one who set the date with her secretly. He was also the one who keep teasing him about her. Now, he knew why he was the most enthusiastic supporter at that time. The happiness of the person he loves was more important than his own feeling.

“You must feel like to punch me on the face when I did that horrible thing to her, aren’t you?” Jungkook was guilty whenever he remembered his sin.

“Of course. Not only me, whoever heard how you treat her that day just wants to do the same. Despite they had a crush on her or not,” Dokyeom showed an annoyed face and it made Jungkook feel even worst.

Those words stabbed Jungkook in the heart. Dokyeom saw his facial expression was changed and it made him feel sorry for saying that. He knew Jungkook was atoning for his sin by changing his attitude towards the girls.

“But, thanks to that, I was able to get close to her,” Dokyeom was lifting the mood up by turning that dark history into a good fortune.

The smile was showing on Jungkook’s face thanks to his word. It made Dokyeom glad and continued his story. After Jungkook turned her down, instead of thinking he finally had the chance, he thought it was the end. Most people tend to stay away not only from the person they hate but also from the people around them. Besides, he was Jungkook’s close friend, so it won’t be wise to like her. He changed the schedule of his piano lesson so that he could avoid her.

Whether it was a bad or good fortune, Nayeon also changed her schedule because she enrolled in English Academy. He was too shocked to see Nayeon during the break time. Strangely, instead of avoiding him, Nayeon was so happy when seeing him. She still had no friend yet, so she asked him to hang out with her during break time. She took that chance to tell him how much she hurt and despise Jungkook. He guessed she purposely did it so that he would deliver it to Jungkook.

“It hurts me seeing her being heartbroken, yet I can’t do anything for her. The only thing I can do was to listen. To be frank I was in dilemma. I was pitying myself for hoping that this might be my chance to get her heart. But, once again it was quickly gone as I realized she still did not get over you. No matter how hard I try to be by her side, my presence won’t replace you,” Dokyeom was smiling when he remembered his foolishness.

The role of being a good listener finally come to an end when he watched the Moto GP race. During that race, the distance between the first and second racer was too far. The first racer was too good on the straight circuit that able to make the gap widen. But he was not too good on the corner. The second racer took that chance to narrow the gap. The supporter of the second racer was already lost their hope until the last lap, the first racer was making a mistake and shortened the gap. On the last corner, the second racer took that chance to overtake the first racer and became the winner of that race.

That race made him think, although he was lacking behind, he still had a chance. If he never gives up, the chance will come. The gap between him and Jungkook might be too far. But, at the crucial point, he might be able to overtake him. What he needed to do was patiently wait for the right timing.

“So, I stay with her during her hardest time. I also brave myself to get close to her. Not as Jungkook’s friend, but as Kim Dokyeom. Happily, my effort didn’t get wasted,” said Dokyeom while smiling shyly as he reminiscence the good old days.

Jungkook smiled at how cute Dokyeom was. He was really loved her that much. Just mentioning her name made his cheeks blush. Not to mention how he couldn’t stop smiling when talking about the process of him confessing to her. His story was so interesting and Jungkook still wanted to hear it. But it was all ruined when Jungkook saw the time on his phone. He should dig information from Dokyeom.

“Don’t your cheeks hurt?” asked Jungkook.

“My cheeks? No? Why?” Dokyeom reflexively touched his cheek.

“You are smiling from ear to ear whenever you mentioned her name. You must like her that much, huh? Anyway, I am curious. Why are you hiding this news from us?” hanging out with Mingyu made Jungkook learn a bit about the art of conversation. Especially the way made a sensitive question being less offensive by making a smooth and nice intro.

Dokyeom’s smile slowly faded away. He took his beverage, sipped it, and seems to think hard. He stared at Jungkook’s eyes before answering. The first word he said was an apology. Then he continued by saying he was the one who beg Nayeon to keep their relationship a secret. That time, before they were officially dating, people kept talking behind their back. They were badmouthing Nayeon by saying, after getting dumped she targeted Jungkook’s friend. Not only her, but he also received some bad made-up stories. They said he took his friend’s leftovers. Some people even said he was the cause why Jungkook reject her. It’s not all, there were lots of bad narrations that he heard.

“Logically, we weren't doing something wrong. It’s not like I am stealing your girlfriend or ruining your relationship. But it still affects me. Those negative narrations made me think that I was doing something ethically wrong. If it’s not, then why do people talk behind our back? Well… it's not the sole reason. I am afraid it would be uncomfortable for both of you. So… yeah I had to do keep it a secret. Sorry, for hiding it from you,” the expression on Dokyeom face clearly said how much he felt sorry. It was stinging Jungkook's heart. Dokyeom won't go through all of this hardship if he wasn't act so immature back then.

“Back then, why you are so eager to match us? You know what kind of I was. I also made myself clear that I have no interest in her,”

Dokyeom once again showed a not-so-good expression. It made Jungkook add that he wasn't trying to blame him or anything. He was just curious why he would do that far although it hurt him.

“Because at that time, although you are saying you don't like her, you still treat her well. It made me think, ah, maybe Jungkook was too ashamed to admit his feelings. Nayeon still has a chance so I have to support her,”

Jungkook and Dokyeom never felt awkward around each other, but today was exceptional. Again, the talk about lover and friendship never failed to create an awkward atmosphere no matter how close you were.

“What if… at that time, Nayeon didn't tell you about her feeling, and I completely showed no interest in her. Would you still back off or… You will go for it?” although he still felt the awkwardness, Jungkook couldn’t wait any longer. The time was ticking and Jungkook still didn't get the information he wanted.

“Of course. It will be a different story. We don’t know about each other feelings. Then, no one will feel bad for snatching someone else crush. It’s a fair play,” finally Dokyeom said the words that Jungkook desperately need to hear.

“Yeah. You are right. I am very sorry. Only if I didn’t act like a scumbag back then, you two won’t experience those horrible things. I am totally trash. I am very sorry, Kyeom,” Jungkook was too shameful that made him didn’t dare to look at Dokyeom’s eyes when he was apologizing.

Dokyeom smiled when looking at how sincere Jungkook’s apology was.

“Yeah, but the trash can be recycled. You are reflecting on your action and you atoned for your sin. I am the living witness of it. So don't blame yourself too much,”

Jungkook wasn't the type who got emotional quickly. But hearing it from Dokyeom was totally different. If they weren’t in the open space, he might already shed tears. Being touched with Dokyeom’s forgiveness, made Jungkook feel sorrier. It made him apologize once more.

“Seriously, what kind of good deed that I did in my past life that I able to have such a great friend like you. After what I have done to both of you, I don't deserve any forgiveness. Yet, you guys were still willing to face me, even still wanted to befriend me. You two are great persons, and I am so happy that you are ended together,”

Dokyeom was giggling when he heard Jungkook’s sincere yet funny opinion. For Dokyeom, it was one of the painful memories, but he was glad it became a valuable lesson for Jungkook. Honestly, not only Jungkook but for all the people involved in that incident.

“It’s not your fault. We are all still young and dumb. Besides, we can’t push or fake our feeling. Anyway where on earth is Kim Mingyu. How come he still not coming?” Dokyeom tried to lift up the mood by changing the topic. His effort made Jungkook smile and secretly texted Mingyu to show up. He finished with his interrogation that turned out to be a confession.

After Mingyu showed up, Jungkook excused himself. Now, he should look for his father. Five minutes ago he said he almost finished his schedule and would text him once he finished. While waiting for his father, Jungkook was walking around this neighborhood. While he was wandering around the street, he heard a familiar voice and song. Quickly he came to the source of the music. There was a large crowd and it made him curious. He peeked through people’s heads, and find his father was singing while playing the guitar. He took a deep sigh and wonder how come his father was busking in here? That’s definitely not his guitar. His eyes were scanning through the people around him. His eyes accidentally met the eyes of a familiar face. It’s Park Chaeyoung. She smiled and waved at him but he quickly turned his eyes away. His heart suddenly beats like crazy and it made him quickly leave the crowd, afraid he would pass out.

“Everything has passed. But you were so pretty,” the last part was sung and it was ended by the round of applause from the crowd. Jungkook who stood a bit far from it was still glued his eyes to where his father was. Once the performance ends, some people were leaving and it made Jungkook have better access to observe his father. From his location, he saw his father was talking with Chaeyoung and her friends. He then quickly turned around when he saw Chaeyoung was looking around. He didn’t know who she was looking for, but he still hiding. Sometimes, he would peek to check on his Dad. His Dad was known as a friendly person and it made him catch a bad feeling. Afraid his Dad would speak unnecessary things to her, he quickly took his phone and called his Dad.

“Son! Sorry to keep you waiting. Are you waiting for long?” asked his Dad when they finally meet.

Jungkook shook his head and said he met his friend before so he didn't wait for long. His Dad smiled and they continued their agenda. The gift hunting was finished before dinner time. Unlike other families who would eat out during special occasions, Jungkook's family tend to eat at home whenever his Dad was coming home. The reason was he missed home cooking food. They could also spend their time together freely without feeling afraid of being chased away by the restaurant owner for spending so much time.

Today's menu was grilled meat. They prepared it in their small backyard. As they were happily grilling the meat, his Mom who couldn't hold her curiosity any longer throw the question about Jungkook's prom night. Jungkook already knew this will come and he won't be able to avoid it forever. It's embarrassing but he still telling his parents the truth. At first, he wanted to hide the fact that he was just a replacement, but his heart didn't dare to lie to his parents.

“But, you like that girl, don't you?” asked his mom. Despite being told Jungkook just come to help the friend in need, as parents and as someone who had experience, they could guess his true feeling.

“Mom. She is just a friend,” Jungkook strongly denied it. He felt it was too embarrassing to talk about his love story to his own parents.

“Alright, alright. I got it. Anyway, can I see her picture?” as a mother, she was still curious about his son's friend.

“I don't have any. I was late and we didn't take pictures together. Even if there is any, it's not on my phone,” it sounds like a lie but actually, he was telling the truth.

When Jungkook said it, his parents were looking at each other. Although he didn’t say it, they knew how he felt. There was sadness in his voice. Didn’t want their son to feel down, they have immediately changed the topic. Even until they finished the family dinner, the topic of Jungkook’s prom date wasn’t mentioned.

Their dinner finished late so after washing the dishes, Jungkook went straight to bed. When he was busy playing games on his phone, someone knocked on his door. His Dad opened the door and peeked through it. Later, he was sticking out his hand that held a bottle of soju. Jungkook smiled when he saw it and without saying anything, he stood up from the bed and followed his Dad. Jungkook was a bit surprised when he saw his Dad already prepared everything on the balcony. Soju and its side dish. He was already an adult so he could accompany his dad to drink.

The first minute, they both just sipped their soju without saying anything. His dad intentionally did that to create an atmosphere. Once he felt Jungkook’s emotion was already neutral, he began to dig his worry.

“When I was busking, one of the girls told me that I look like someone she knew. She also said he was from Busan. I was joking and said maybe the one she knew is my son. Right before she responded, you call me. It made me forget about it,” dad opened the conversation with the story from this afternoon.

Jungkook quickly remembered that incident. To avoid any suspicion, Jungkook chooses to keep silent and let his dad finish his story.

“It’s that girl, right? Yo ur prom date,” said his dad without warning. it made Jungkook almost choke on the dried squid.

“WHAT? YOU MET HER?” Jungkook and his dad automatically turned their head when they heard mom’s voice. Mom then dragged another chair and took a place between her husband and son. Jungkook immediately poured the soju into his mom and dad’s glass. After drinking in one shot, dad repeated the question. Jungkook awkwardly looked at his parents’ eyes and nodded. A smile bloomed on their lips. Jungkook then asked how his dad knew it.

“That girl said her friend that looked like me was here before. But, he suddenly disappeared. I also saw you in the crowd and you abruptly left. I connected the dot and got a hunch the friend she means must be you. I got more sure when you called me right after I finished my performance. You must be scared if the girl you like met your parents, right? Hahaha,” his dad was teasing him.

Jungkook couldn’t say anything because what his dad said was hitting the bullseye. Not only dad, but his mom also by asking how she looks. His dad say she was pretty and had a great voice.

“So, does this girl has a boyfriend?” just like his dad, his mom's question was aimed right at his dilemma.

Jungkook’s silence was interpreted by his parents as a “yes”. They felt hurt when they saw him like that. Mom then said unlike how she looked, she was quite good at solving love problems. Back in her school day, she was the love adviser of her friends. So if he needs some tips on how to capture a woman’s heart, she was always open to sharing her experiences.

Being rest assured by his parents, and a little bit of effect of alcohol, he got his guts to talk about his love life to his parents. Both his parents listened to him attentively until he finished. He told them about the confusion he suffered due to this unsure feeling. He still couldn’t describe well about this feeling. Drown by the atmosphere, he also spilling about his insecurity regarding the relationship between Chaeyoung and Jaehyun.

“I never sympathized with the second lead male on the drama mom watched. How come they ruined their friendship because of the girl? But now, I am afraid I will do the same. It’s either being hurt or hurting. Haaah… Now I am sounded so pathetic. Like the second lead male who always ended up as the sad boy,” Jungkook was lamenting about his pathetic love story to his parents' thanks to the alcohol. It’s already his second bottle, the largest amount of alcohol he consumed since he was legally an adult. He was still sober but his honesty was getting too blunt.

“Who says you are the second lead? Son, you are not the one who will decide. It’s the female lead. Since it’s still not decided yet, you should give your best if you truly like her. But don’t let it make you obsessive. You shouldn’t do something that could ruin your relationship, with her or with your friend,” dad was smiling when looking at his son grumbling about his suffering. Not because he was happy, but because he found him cute. Jungkook was always cute in his eyes but tonight especially reminds him about the 5 years old Jungkook.

“You know what, most viewers are falling in love with the second lead male. So, even when you are not getting the love of the female lead after the effort you are making, you still get the love of two people that you cherish as friends. And… the story isn’t finished yet for him until he finds the female lead of his story,” following dad, mom also gave words of encouragement to her heartbroken son.

“Although some people love the second lead male more, I still prefer the main lead. So, Son, don’t lose to him! Go and snatch that girl!” as an ambitious man who refuse to lose, dad couldn’t just let his son lose.

“DAD!!!” yelled his mom.

Jungkook laughed at his parents' advice that seems like a comedy skit in his eyes. What they said was right. Most importantly, he felt so happy because they didn’t mingle on his problem and let him solve it himself. They were only ensuring him that they were there for him whenever he needs them. Who says being an only child is lonely? He has two wonderful people who could be his parents and friends.

“Ah, it’s late. You shouldn’t drink too much. Remember you still have cram school tomorrow,” now his mom was back to become his main role, which was as a mother. She took Jungkook’s glass and started to clean up the table.

Didn’t want to hear his mom nags, he was become an obedient kid and went straight to the bathroom to brush his teeth. After that, he went to the bed. Before he closed his eyes, he took the rose-covered book again. He stared at it for some minutes before his eyes closed on their own.

***

It’s morning already. Jungkook was adjusting his eyes to the sunlight. His head was still dizzy because of the alcohol. The alarm kept ringing and it made him stand up to turn it off. To completely awaken his body and soul, he headed towards the bathroom and took a cold shower. After dressed up and packing his bag, he got down to the dining room to have his breakfast.

“Woah, our movie star is awake!” his dad as soon as he showed up.

“When I look at my son carefully, he already becomes a handsome grown-up man. Says, do you still want to drink warm milk? Or should I make you a cup of coffee?” didn’t want to let this chance slip, his mom also joined to .

Jungkook’s face got reddened because of it. He was drunk last night but he remembered everything. People said each person had their own drunk habit, and it seems like he already knew what his. What made it even worse was he was still in his right mind, but he couldn’t control his tongue to spill the tea. Too embarrassed to respond, Jungkook just let his parents throughout breakfast time.

“Oh, son! Don’t forget to inform Jiwon when you are free. Your aunt call me and asked you to assist her in looking for the cram school,” his mom reminded him when he has already reached the door.

Jungkook nodded and said he already contacted Jiwon. His aunt’s family were moving to Seoul in this new semester. Jiwon, his cousin was in the third grade this year. She transferred to Seoul because she believed the chance to get into SNU was higher if she went to school in Seoul. Didn’t get the heart to let their daughter live alone in Seoul, the entire family decided to move too.

The bus Jungkook ride-on was crowded as usual. He was heading to the cram school at the same time as the office worker. No wonder he couldn’t move an inch because the space wasn’t available. Next to him were two women that seems like co-workers talking about the last episode of the drama they like.

“The ending is so unexpected! I lost my hope thinking there is no way she will end up with him. That's such a plot twist!”

“Me too! Me too! I root for him because he is so sweet and gentle. I think he will end up as a sad boy because he is just the second lead. I never expect such an ending!”

“I heard the writer change the plot at the last minutes due to abundant love from the viewers to the second lead!”

Jungkook's face somehow got so red. Why out of those times, he had to hear about the second lead. It made him embarrassed because last night's memories showed up again. Feeling shy, Jungkook put on his earphones so he wouldn't listen to their conversation.

It’s been so long since he put on his earphone when he was commuting due to his trauma. It made him proud of himself that he was able to overcome it. To celebrate his own achievement, he decided to put it on until he reached cram school. Sadly, his plan didn’t go well because he had to take it off when someone tapped his shoulder.

“Good morning!” greeted Chaeyoung with a bright smile.

Instead of greeting her back, Jungkook just stands still. His mind suddenly went blank as he was too surprised at what she did. He wondered whether she usually greet him, or it was the first time.

“What’s wrong? You don’t look well. Are you sick?” she worried because Jungkook was kind of look so lost.

He was only able to shake his head to answer. It’s once again because he got overwhelmed by her attention. She looked so glad and once again showed a smile. A smile that made Jungkook’s heart pound so hard. Now, he wondered whether she was always this pretty.

After confirming Jungkook’s condition, they were continued to walk towards their own destination. On their way, Chaeyoung was telling him about the prize they received for winning second place at the competition. But Jungkook couldn’t concentrate on the context. He focused more on her speaking tone. He thought it was the first time he put attention to her voice. Her voice was so sweet and cute. It’s not like she purposely acted cutely, but it was her natural way of talking.

They were walking side by side and everything went well. Not until their hands accidentally brushed with each other when they moved a bit to give way to another passerby. It felt like he was being electrocuted by that unintentional skinship. He was too flustered at it that made him suddenly take some distance from her. Realizing Jungkook’s presence was getting further, she stopped walking, looked back, and waited for Jungkook to match their steps.

“Are you sure you are, okay?” she had to reassure herself again after seeing how red Jungkook’s face was.

Nervous Jungkook couldn't read the situation because his mind was only focused on how to stop this racing heart. It made him once again just give a simple reaction, this time he only nodded. The look on Chaeyoung’s face made the situation even worse. Her big eyes looked sad, and it made her even more adorable. Jungkook couldn’t resist her cuteness, so he quickly walked ahead to avoid her.

“So, today at 5. You okay with it?” asked Chaeyoung once they arrived in front of Jungkook’s cram school.

Jungkook's face turned even redder. Those sentences were just an ordinary line you were saying when asking people to hang out. But why did it make him happy and nervous? She wasn't asking him out, she just asked him to hang out.

Sadly, what was shown to her was his blank spacing. It made her have to repeat the question again. When she asked him for the second time, Jungkook just realized how foolish he looked like right now.

“About that…,”

“Are you already had a plan?”

Jungkook was hesitating. He wasn't ready to hang out with her, by only two of them. But, on the other side, he remembered what his Dad said. He should brave himself and not let him be the second lead.

“No. Sure I can go,”

She looked so glad and with a smile, she said goodbye to him and continued to walk to her workplace.

The student had 15 minutes of break time between the lesson and 1 hour during lunch break. The first thing Jungkook did was stretched his body, then checked his phone. Jiwon messaged him that she would come during lunch break. Talking about lunch, he remembered about his dinner plan. Thought about it again, he might cause some misunderstanding to Chaeyoung for acting like that. He somehow felt guilty and decided to buy a cup of coffee at the café.

The break wasn’t that long, and it made him rush out. He thought he was already calmed down and could be acted cool, but it was all a lie. All the bravely was gone once he stood near the café’s door. The sight of Chaeyoung standing on the counter made him chicken out. Even at this distance, his heart started to be acting up. When he was trying to collect all the pieces of his brave back, he made eye contact with her. It’s amazing how come people still be able to lock eyes even though the distance was a bit far. Remembered the size of our eyes were small, yet they were still able to notice it.

Panicked, Jungkook automatically turned his back and walked back to his cram school. Now, he was regretting and wondering whether Chaeyoung noticed it was him. While he was in confusion, he got a text from Chaeyoung. It made him cry in silence. He hasn’t read the content, but he was sure she must be noticed it. Now, the embarrassment got doubled.

Hey, if you are okay, let’s grab lunch together,”

Jungkook thought he was going crazy. How come his mood changed in a minute? A second ago, he felt embarrassed, once he read the text, he was smiling widely. Now, he was feeling extremely sad and disappointed as he remembered he already had a plan with Jiwon.

Sorry, I already had a plan during lunch,”

After he sent it, he put his phone back in his jacket then lay his head on the table until the teacher come. He was regretting why out of the time, Jiwon had to come today? Jungkook acted like a zombie throughout the second class until lunchtime. Yet, he was still the first one to leave the class once the bell rang. If he didn’t do that, he won’t be able to get the table in that sandwich restaurant. Jiwon already mentioned her order through the text and asked Jungkook to buy it for her. She said she might be late because she was taking the wrong train.

“Jungkook?”

Jungkook lifted his head and saw Chaeyoung was standing next to his table.

“Are you with someone?” asked Chaeyoung. The restaurant was full and it’s gonna be hard to find an empty table.

His eyes quickly moved to the sandwich he bought for Jiwon. Secretly, he hides it by putting it on his lap, beneath the table.

“No, I am not,” he responded quickly.

Just like usual, they were only eating in silence. But this time, there was something that change. Unlike usual when he was only focused on his food, now he also put attention to her. He noticed the habit Chaeyoung did when she eats. First, she tied her hair, then unwrapped the sandwich. She also had a strange way to eat the sandwich. She ate it layer by layer. First, she ate the bread, then the vegetable, the tuna, and lastly the bread. He secretly smiled at that strange habit. She bought a sandwich but did not eat the sandwich.

When Jungkook was laughing silently at Chaeyoung, his phone was ringing. It’s Jiwon. In no time, he picked it up. Jiwon informed him that she already arrived. That news made Jungkook panic. He should get going before Jiwon came. He didn’t want Jiwon to see them. It made him quickly finish his sandwich without chewing it properly.

“I leave first,” said Jungkook with a mouth still full of sandwich. He hurriedly stood up and made the sandwich he put on his lap to roll down. At the speed of light, he picked it up and hide it on his jacket before Chaeyoung had time to notice it. Without proper goodbye, Jungkook left the restaurant and headed towards the bus station.

Once he found Jiwon, he quickly handed the sandwich to her. She was eating her sandwich while walking towards the cram school she wanted to attend. The remaining time of his lunch break was spent accompanying his cousin to ask around the cram schools. Finally, she decided on her first choice. She said to her mom she chose a different cram school as Jungkook so that they could exchange the practice sheets but actually, it was because she wanted to attend the same school as her middle school friend.

There were several forms that Jiwon had to fill out to enroll so that she stayed on the registration desk. It took some time, so Jungkook decided to wait for her in the lobby. Jungkook just landed on his bottom to the sofa when he saw Chaeyoung through the glass door was heading to that building. He was panicking but didn’t know what to do. It made him quickly take his phone, and face the other direction, hoping Chaeyoung won’t recognize him.

“Jung… kookie?”

! Jungkook swore silently. Awkwardly, he put his phone away and looked at Chaeyoung. She seems surprised and it made her ask him why she was on another cram school.

“Oppa!” called Jiwon before Jungkook replied to her.

Jungkook looked at Jiwon then at Chaeyoung consecutively with a worried expression. Chaeyoung noticed it then showed a meaningful smile.

“Thanks for the information!” Chaeyoung intentionally said it loudly then headed to the second floor where she should deliver the coffee.

Jungkook felt so relieved with her action. That way he could avoid any suspicions from Jiwon. Luckily, Jiwon seems to not pay attention to it. Still, to take a precaution, Jungkook quickly went to the registration desk to help Jiwon to fill in some information.

The business with Jiwon finally ended and now Jungkook had to go back to his class. This time too, he had a hard time concentrating because he still thought about Chaeyoung’s meaningful smile. He was afraid Chaeyoung might get the wrong idea about Jiwon. He knew Chaeyoung might not care even though he had a girlfriend or crush. But, for him, it was very important to clear it. Got a slight headache because of it, Jungkook decided to clear his mind by taking a short break to the toilet. When passing through the lobby, he saw Jaehyun was sitting on the sofa while playing with his phone. He then called Jaehyun and came over to him.

Jungkook asked him about the occasion he was coming to cram school. Remembered the fact he already had a new status as a university student. Jaehyun laughed and said he had an appointment with a friend. Jungkook by asking who his secret friend was, but he said Jungkook didn’t know this friend. He then randomly changed the subject by asking about Jungkook’s opinion regarding this cram school. Jungkook smiled but sincerely answered his question by saying he loved it here. Jaehyun nodded and looked so satisfied with his answer.

“Hey, aren’t you going back to your class?” Jaehyun’s question reminded Jungkook he had to go back.

Jungkook laughed and said he should. He couldn’t concentrate on the lesson so initially, he just wanted to take a very short break by going to the toilet. Jaehyun smiled then offered him the coffee that he held. He said a bit of caffeine could help to boost his concentration. Jungkook took it and realized the brand on the coffee cup was the café where Chaeyoung work.

“So, who is this friend you planned to meet?” asked Jungkook while still looking at the coffee cup.

“Emm… Just a friend. It will be embarrassing if I tell you now. So, just wait a bit for it. I’ll tell you later. Anyway, I think you should really go back. I feel bad for making you skip the class,” said Jaehyun.

Jungkook showed a smile and agreed with Jaehyun. He gave the coffee cup back to him then headed back to the class. Now his concentration totally left his head. He couldn’t think of the lesson again. Now, his head was full of theories of why Jaehyun had to keep it a secret from him. Why he should hide the fact that he met with Chaeyoung. But then, he realized he was no different from Jaehyun. He never openly told his friends that he often visits her in the café, or he often walks her home. Not only that, but he also still hides it from them that he was having a history with her.

During the break time, Jungkook decided to go to the café. Although he didn’t know what he should do if he sees them together. He believed; he would be able to decide once he arrived there. Just like on the first break, the closer he got to the café, the bigger his cowardice grew. He was hesitant whether he was ready to witness the same thing as he saw on the prom night.

“Just come in. Chaeng isn't here,” said Heejin, Chaeyoung’s co-worker. She was standing behind Jungkook for a while because he blocked the door.

Jungkook was a bit surprised and embarrassed. He immediately moved away and let her pass. She smiled at Jungkook’s reaction then pulled the door.

“Aren't you going to buy a coffee?” Heejin still held the door’s handle and smoothly seduced Jungkook to increase their sale.

Shyly Jungkook followed her in and went straight to the counter.

“Are you having a fight with her?” asked her while taking his order.

Jungkook’s eyes got widened, didn’t expect he would hear that question. Heejin then said he saw him this morning secretly watching her from outside the café.

“No, we are fine,” he shyly answered her question.

“That’s great then. I can’t help but think like that because I saw you quickly ran away when your eyes met. I did the same thing with my boyfriend, so I came to that conclusion. I am sorry. Well, here your AA, Mr. Americano,” realized what she did was unethical, she apologized to Jungkook right away.

“It’s okay. Anyway, why Mr. Americano? I thought you call me Mr. Bodyguard,” Jungkook responded with a joke to show that he wasn’t offended by her opinion.

“The contact’s name on her phone. Americano, isn’t that you? She kept looking at the chat window with that name today. Looking so worried. So, I thought it was you,”

“Well, I don’t know what name she used to save my contact,” Jungkook was being honest.

His honesty made her feel embarrassed once again for peeking through someone else’s phone contact. She then promised herself she would apologize to Chaeyoung for what she did.

Jungkook left the café with so many questions on his head. Why she was being so worried? Who was this Americano? What was his contact’s name? Why did her co-worker think he had fought with her? Why… Why… and lots of why was circling around his mind until he was back to the cram school.

It’s the last class and unexpectedly Jungkook could digest it well. There were a lot of things that worried him. So, instead of thinking about that, he decided to concentrate on the lesson. The tutor finished giving the theory and it’s time for them to solve the problem. Just like another student, Jungkook started to solve it as the tutor taught them. He almost finished with the third question, but his mind was distracted by the vibration from his phone. Silently he took it out and hid it under his book.

The notification on his soccer team group chat showed there were 30 unread messages. He quickly opened it to know what was going on. The conversation started with Jaehyun. He suddenly asked the members to pray for his little sister. Her condition was getting better but somehow, Jaehyun felt anxious. His chats kind of surprised Jungkook. Just a few hours ago he met Jaehyun looking so fine, he was already in the hospital worrying about his sister.

Jaehyun wasn’t the type to easily make other people worry. But this time, it seems like he was truly worried about his sister. They knew, although she wasn’t his real sister, he loved her as she was the one. Jungkook also remembered the reason why he attended the prom night instead of Jaehyun was also that he couldn’t leave her.

Jungkook suddenly put his pencil down. He leaned his back to the chair and looked so shocked. This realization made him grab his phone then quickly head to the toilet. He was standing in front of the mirror and feeling bad for himself. He scrolled the group chat again and realized the hidden message Jaehyun tried to say. This time, Jaehyun must need emotional support. His sister was sick for quite some time, but he never mentioned it specifically before.

Looking at his reflection in the mirror made him feel embarrassed. He then washed his face as if he could wash away his sin by doing it. How could he become suspicious and got a bit mad at Jaehyun because of a cup of coffee? He was an awful friend. So what if Jaehyun comes here to meet up with her? She might know about his sister too since they were volunteering together. Maybe he came here to inform her about it. And also, so what if Jaehyun keeps it a secret from him? He was also doing so to Jaehyun.

The light on Jungkook’s phone that he put near the basin was . He read the notification on it and saw it was from Chaeyoung. His eyes then moved to the mirror again. After taking a deep breath as he already made a decision, he took his phone and began typing the reply.

***

“So, where are you going tonight?” asked the Café Manager to Chaeyoung after she caught her kept looking on the time.

“That buffet restaurant. We won coupons from the competition,” she was proudly showing off the coupons.

The manager and Heejin were smiling seeing her being so excited. She was a big eater, yet she was managed to keep her slim body. That privilege made all girls envy her. But today, instead of being jealous, both of them were feeling so happy. They might not be the ones who would eat the delicious dinner, but they were as happy as her.

The happiness of Heejin wasn’t last long as she saw someone just entered the café, it was her boyfriend. Chaeyoung and the manager were looking at each other eyes and they quickly move to their assigned position. As wonderful co-workers, both the manager and Chaeyoung silently gave her the code to take her time and gave her privacy to talk with her boyfriend. They would take over her job, so she didn’t need to worry.

The time was ticking and finally, it showed that there were ten minutes left before the shift ended. Chaeyoung secretly took her phone and send a message to Jungkook to remind him about their plan. The manager saw the excitement on Chaeyoung’s face and told her to get changed quickly. She declined it at first by saying there were still ten minutes left, but the manager insisted. Feeling touched by her consideration, Chaeyoung gave her a hug then quickly went to the changing room. Before she got changed, she checked on her phone to see Jungkook’s response.

“Sorry, I can’t make it today,”

The smile on Chaeyoung’s face instantly faded when she read it. Although it was sad, she couldn’t do anything but accept it. Her fingers were started to type the reply “it’s okay, we can go another…” but stopped midway when the new message come.

“You can enjoy the meal with your friend. Don’t mind me. I’m okay with it,”

After reading that, she touched the erased button to correct her reply.

“It’s okay. You don’t need to worry. I’ll enjoy it well,” she sent the reply and put her phone back on her apron.

The clock finally hit the end of her shift. Heejin realized it and quickly come over to Chaeyoung who just coming back from changing room. She apologized thinking Chaeyoung hasn’t changed her uniform because she was waiting for her. Tonight, she was the one who was supposed to work the night shift. Just like Heejin, the manager was also shocked when she saw Chaeyoung still not get changed.

“It’s okay, unnie. I can work the night shift today. You should go with your boyfriend. Ah, and here, the coupon. My friend suddenly had another schedule so we can’t go. It will be a waste, so you should use it,” Chaeyoung handed the restaurant coupon to Heejin.

Heejin didn’t want to take it at first but after seeing the gesture from the manager, she took it. As someone who had experienced, she knew, a tiny little thing could contain painful memory. So, taking this coupon away could also take that painful memory. Getting permission from the manager, Heejin excused herself to leave the café.

The night was coming, Chaeyoung had to stay till 21.00 PM tonight with the manager. But, the manager couldn’t stay with her till they close the café because her son was sick. She felt bad but Chaeyoung ensure her that she would be fine. It's a good thing this café wasn’t that popular. There were only a few customers so she could handle it by herself.

“Welcome!” said Chaeyoung after hearing the front door being opened. Her smile bloomed when she saw the one who just come in. It’s Lisa. It’s so boring being by herself so she asked Lisa to come if she wasn’t busy. Besides, she was feeling a bit lonely and sad tonight. She needed someone to talk to.

Lisa came not as a helper but as a customer. She ordered food and drink then sat on the bar table. When Chaeyoung was taking orders, she was working on her college orientation assignment. When the customer left, they continued chatting.

“Anyway, does Naeun’s condition worsen? Why Jaehyun is in the hospital right now?” Lisa threw a question after reading Jaehyun’s reply on their group chat. He apologized because he couldn’t join them.

Chaeyoung said it was the opposite, her condition was getting better. Her mother informed her this morning. Jaehyun must be there because he was worried. He always comes every day to visit her anyway.

“Talking about Jaehyun, you haven’t told me about the full chronology from that night. Why had he sounded so mad at you? I don’t want to hear the short version. Tell me from start to end. Tell me every word you said to him,” Lisa threatened her.

It was an unpleasant memory, but Chaeyoung still told her as she requested. During her story, Lisa didn’t interrupt even once. Lisa put down her glass and looked straight at Chaeyoung’s eyes with a strange stare when the story ends. She told Chaeyoung to get closer to her and she was doing as she told.

“Chaeyoung, to tell you the truth, a few days ago, Jaehyun said to me that he actually likes you. Not as a friend, but romantically,” said Lisa with sincere eyes.

Lisa's confession that was happened out of the blue made Chaeyoung look so dumbfounded. She was too surprised to fully understand and too shocked to believe it.

“But, it's a lie,” Lisa revealed the truth after witnessing Chaeyoung's hilarious reaction.

“What's the meaning of this? Your joke is not funny,” she was breathing freely again after feeling relieved.

Lisa chuckled and asked her to make another beverage. With pouty lips, she went to the counter and made hot chocolate for Lisa. Lisa walked to the counter while waiting for it.

“Rosie, do you know? The difference between being insensitive and foolish is so thin. Have you not realized why Jaehyun was mad at you?” asked Lisa right after Chaeyoung serve the chocolate.

Chaeyoung just stood and stared at Lisa with a guilty expression. Now, she knew why Lisa threw that joke. She probably wanted her to feel how Jaehyun feel. When Lisa said that fake news, she was flustered and shocked. But when she found out it was a lie, she felt so dumb. It's not like she was hoping the news was true. It's just, she felt annoyed because she was toying with her feeling and embarrassed because she fall for it.

“No matter how close you two are, Jaehyun is still a man. Regardless, you shouldn't play with people's hearts. It's not a good thing to do,” realizing Chaeyoung already reflected on her wrongdoing, Lisa ended this lesson.

What Lisa said was true. She only stated the fact. It made Chaeyoung restrain herself to not countered her argument. At that time, she only thought about Naeun and didn’t think about Jaehyun’s feelings.

“Anyway, you get my blessing if you two finally decided to date,” Lisa changed the topic and now trying to comfort her.

“What do you mean by that?” Chaeyoung responded to her joke.

“Well, just in case you two restrained your feeling because you feel bad for me. It’s okay. Unlike in the movie, I don’t have a feeling for Jaehyun and I also won’t feel left out if you two are dating,”

“Lis… Please,”

Lisa was laughing out loud and it annoyed Chaeyoung. She threw a wipe cloth to help her clean up the café. The closing time was still far, but they already cleaned up the entire café. They weren’t doing it to fill the free time, but to save time.

“Rosie ya,” Lisa called her after wiping the last table.

Chaeyoung responded while still wiping the cups she just washed. She finally moved her attention to Lisa because Lisa didn’t say anything. Finally, Lisa started to talk when she fully focused on her.

“Tell me the truth. Are you really have no feeling for Jaehyun? Even for a second? Your heart never pounding when you are around him?” Lisa’s big round eyes were sparkling when she was asked.

It’s not her first time asking Chaeyoung this question, but she always gets the same answer. From her point of view, Chaeyoung must be hiding her feeling. There was no way she had no feeling for Jaehyun. They were just too comfortable to change their status. It made her think, it’s time for them to admit their feeling. Just like Chaeyoung, Jaehyun also gave the same answer. But, that day, after witnessing how Jaehyun’s reaction to Chaeyoung’s fake confession, she was 80% sure Jaehyun was lying to his own feeling.

This time, Lisa seems to finally be able to get the answer she was waiting for a year. Instead of answering right away as she did, Chaeyoung took some time to think. Usually, she only heard the first question and without a doubt will answer with a no. As for the latter question, she seems to give some time to think. But, once again, she wasn’t sure the reason why her heart was pounding.

“That… I think I … WELCOME!!” before Chaeyoung started to reveal the answer, the door was opened and Chaeyoung greeted the customer.

It’s not the customer. It’s Heejin. She was already back from her dinner date. She told Chaeyoung she makes up with her boyfriend and thanked Chaeyoung for the meal coupon. She still felt bad. She took the coupon because she knew how much Chaeyoung wanted to go there.

“I know something must be going on between you two. Next time when he comes here, I will teach him a lesson for canceling the date at the last minute. Anyway, who is she? A celebrity? She is so pretty,” asked Heejin while pointing at Lisa with her eyes.

Chaeyoung smiled and said she was her friend. Heejin nodded and said how come everyone around Chaeyoung was good looking. Chaeyoung laughed at her comment. Heejin smiled looking at her pretty smile again then excused herself to the changing room to change her outfit.

The smile on Chaeyoung didn’t last long when she saw Lisa’s face was changed. Lisa gestured her to come close and she did. She asked Chaeyoung about the date that Heejin talked about earlier. Chaeyoung smiled and said Heejin talked about Jungkook. She already told Lisa about it beforehand so she didn’t feel worried.

“Rosie, tell me the truth. Are you still have a feeling towards that guy? Is that why you still afraid to admit that you started to move to Jaehyun?” Lisa was back to her interrogation agenda.

It took a view moment for Chaeyoung to fully understand that question. She never thought about that scenario. But now, as Lisa mentioned it, she started to think about her own feeling seriously. While Chaeyoung was thinking, Lisa got a phone call and it made Chaeyoung relieved because she got more time to think. Now, Lisa was finished with the phone call, but Chaeyoung still did not find the answer.

“Chaeng, you can go home now. I will close the store,” once again Chaeyoung was saved by the bell. Heejin come out at the right time and interrupted that intense interrogation.

“No, unnie, it’s okay. I can stay with you,” said Chaeyoung.

“No, Rosie. I think you should take that offer,” said Lisa with a serious face that made Chaeyoung was on her guard.

“Why?” Chaeyoung asked. She then slowly prepared her heart to anticipate what news Lisa was going to deliver.

“Naeun… She… is…,” Lisa couldn’t finish the sentence as the tears were slowly falling out.