Why is it hard to talk it out?

Excuse Me?

The large screen on the wall was turned off as the professor ended the class. This hard subject was taking much of Jaehyun’s energy. He put his pen down and leaned on the chair while looking at his notebook. He took a deep sigh, closed his eyes then put his head on the table. The next class will be held in four hours from now. He wondered what he should do to kill that time. Hanging out with friends was the option but he didn’t want a risk of getting caught by his seniors.

A grumbling sound from his stomach was heard. This class surely drained his energy. Now he felt so hungry. After tidying up his belonging, he checked his phone. Trying to find a friend to eat brunch. While he was scrolling through his contact list, a phone call was coming. Without waiting for another second, he picked it up. It's Naeun’s parents. They invited him to lunch since they were now in Seoul to take care of all the administrative things.

Without a second thought, Jaehyun drove his car to the treatment center. It was not lunchtime yet so the traffic was getting friendly. In less than 30 minutes he had already arrived. Naeun’s Dad hugged him as soon as he showed up. Jaehyun felt so touched by how they treated him. He felt like he had second parents. During their lunch, they rarely talk about Naeun. Instead, they were asking about Jaehyun’s life. Jaehyun wasn’t the type to like sharing his personal life with others except for the one who was close to him. Strangely, even if he did not get much opportunity to meet Naeun’s parents, he felt so close to them. He was talking to them as if they were his real parents. Just like Jaehyun, Naeun’s parents felt so happy hearing about his daily life. It’s as if they were having another child.

Lunchtime ended very quickly. Naeun’s parents had to catch the train so they should leave early. Jaehyun offered to take them to the station, but they refused. Afraid Jaehyun would get caught up in the traffic and won’t be able to attend his class. Before they separated, Naeun’s Mom handed something to Jaehyun. Jaehyun looked at it carefully and noticed that it was the bracelet he gave to Naeun as a birthday present. It was a couple's bracelet.

“I hope you can pass this bracelet to someone you cherished. So that our Naeun’s hope and dream won’t fade,” said Naeun’s Mom when Jaehyun about to give it back to her. After hearing her message, Jaehyun looked at her with teary eyes. She showed a gentle smile and said it was okay for him to keep it. Before they left, both gave him a big hug. They told him to come over to their home sometimes. Jaehyun nodded and promised them they certainly will go someday.

After sending them off, Jaehyun stayed for a bit at the bus station until the taxi they ride on wasn’t seen. When he was about to go back to the treatment center where he parked his car, someone was calling out for him. It was the doctor that was in charge of Naeun. They then walked together to the treatment center while having a small chat. Noticing the familiar emblem of the jacket Jaehyun was wearing, the doctor reconfirmed whether Jaehyun also went to the same university as him. He got excited after finding out Jaehyun indeed went to the same school.

“Doc, what is this? I'm sorry, but I am not studying medicine,” asked Jaehyun when the doctor suddenly handed him a thick medicine textbook.

The doctor smiled and said he knew it. He opened the first page and pointed out a name written on it. He asked him to give it back to that student. He didn’t have to personally take it to her. Just giving it to the faculty's receptionist was enough. It’s a simple request and Jaehyun didn’t mind doing it.

After driving out of the basement, Jaehyun’s car passed through the lobby. There, he saw someone wearing his university hoodie having a chat with a nurse. Because he couldn’t park in front of the lobby, he made a turn and luckily got one empty parking site outside. Hurriedly he got out of the car and speed-walked to the lobby while bringing the medical textbook. Carefully Jaehyun got close to them. First, he greeted the nurse that was chatting with her.

“Hemm… Excuse me. Are you perhaps Kim Dahyun?” asked Jaehyun to that girl.

The girl looked a bit surprised and nodded. To not make her scared, Jaehyun quickly handed the book and explain the situation. Her expression changed and after she understand the situation, she thanked him with a 90-degree bow. It would be a disaster if she lost the book that’s why she was very glad he found it.

“Jaehyun, where are you going after this?” asked the nurse.

Jaehyun said he should go back to the campus because there was still a class to attend. The nurse smiled and asked Jaehyun to give her a ride. Dahyun looked panicked and politely refused. She said she could take a taxi.

“It’s okay. We go in the same direction, and the same destination anyway,” Jaehyun didn’t mind at all to give a ride. Dahyun gave up and followed him to the car after saying goodbye to the nurse.

As soon as she got into the car, her phone rang. She looked at the caller and took a deep breath. After letting it ring for some time, she finally picked it up.

“Yes, Mom the result is out. Yes, it’s come back again. Don’t worry, I am more than fine. I will take care of myself. No, Mom. The bracelet had nothing to do with it. It was broken because it was already the time. Yes, yes. Me? Now? I am on my way to the campus. No, no. I’m not riding a bus. I took a taxi. Yes. Yes. Understood. Okay, Bye, Mom. See you at home,” Dahyun ended the phone call. She then apologized to Jaehyun for saying she was in a taxi. Her mother was a bit nosy. She would get interrogated if she said she was with a friend. Jaehyun laughed and said he completely understood.

“You really fit what she describes,” she mumbled.

“Eung?” Jaehyun had no idea what she was talking about.

She giggled and pointed at Jaehyun’s wrist. Jaehyun looked at his wrist and got even more confused. Once again, she giggled. She said she knew who he was. At first, she doubted whether he was the Jaehyun she often heard of. But, after seeing the bracelet he wore, she was sure. That bracelet was a giveaway gift made by Naeun. She was the one who taught her how to make it.

“You know Naeun too?” asked Jaehyun.

She nodded and said she knew Naeun longer than Jaehyun. Naeun talked about Jaehyun a lot that’s why she knew about him. Not only that, but she also heard a lot about other volunteer members. Naeun talked a lot about them which made her want to become their friend too. The tone of her voice, when she said she wanted to become a friend of theirs, sounded a bit different. She sounded so shy. Although Jaehyun didn’t focus on her facial expression, from a glance and her voice, Jaehyun could tell there was something she was hiding.

“Want me to introduce you to them?” said Jaehyun while smiling cheekily.

“Really?” She was so enthusiastic.

Shyly she told him she was a fan of Blackpink. Naeun talked about them, and she decided to watch their performance. She fell in love with them right away. From those four, Chaeyoung was her bias. Unexpectedly they live in the same neighborhood. She often saw her but couldn’t build the courage to greet her. Hearing someone talking highly of Chaeyoung as if she was some kind of celebrity made him frown. Moreover, the way she portrayed Chaeyoung was totally the opposite of the Chaeyoung whom Jaehyun knew. Throughout her talk, Jaehyun was holding onto his laugh. He almost burst into laugh whenever she called Chaeyoung with Unnie. He corrected her by saying she was the same age as Chaeyoung so she didn’t have to address her as unnie. She knew about it but she said all the cool girls were unnies. It was the same as all the handsome boys were Oppa. Her answer made Jaehyun burst into laughter. So, that’s what Chaeyoung looked like through others’ eyes.

“You are so lucky to have someone as pretty as her to be your girlfriend. You better treat her well. Now I know your face, I won’t let you go unscratched if you ever hurt her,” the cold threat from Dahyun send a chill down his spine. This girl must like her that much. Her adoration was almost the same level as the Blackpink member had for Chaeyoung.

“Did Naeun tell you about us too?” asked Jaehyun.

“No. What? Wait… Are you two secretly dating?” She was so surprised.

“What if we are? Why are you so surprised?” He decided to a bit.

“No. It’s just. There is no way you two secretly dating. You two are just too obvious. It’s not like I stalked you, but I happened to see you two together. During the volunteer work, during the charity concert, I ever saw both of you in front of her apartment. So many times,” she spouted all the proof she had.

Jaehyun showed a kind of bitter smile. So, that was what they looked like to others. Even for someone who rarely saw them, they truly looked like a couple.

“Don’t worry, I will treat her well although she isn’t my girlfriend,” said Jaehyun.

Despite the smile he showed on his handsome face, Dahyun could sense something bitter behind him. It reminded her that recently Chaeyoung was coming home with another boy. It made her gasp. It felt like she just said something horrible. She cursed her big mouth for being careless. What if they were broken up? Or perhaps it was one-sided love? Feeling bad towards him, she quickly changed the topic by thanking him for finding her book. She would be in big trouble if she lost it. The professor was so strict. She could be chased out of the class if she didn’t bring it.

Jaehyun responded by saying she was amazing for being able to get into the faculty of medicine. It was one of the hardest faculty to enter. It was also not easy after they got accepted. The journey to becoming a doctor was seriously tough. He said he wouldn’t be sure if he could do it.

“I am lying if I said it’s not hard. But it’s something that I decide. Sometimes, it might feel like it’s a wrong choice, and I kind of regret it when things become so hard. Yet, I told myself, I was the one who chose it, I should be responsible for it. Moreover, I don’t know how much time I have left. So, instead of regretting not trying my best and failing before even I try, I chose to go for it.

“You are too. You won’t know the answer if you haven’t tried it. If the result turns out bad, then it might be the right one for you. So, don’t hesitate and just go with what your heart told you to do. Opportunity doesn’t wait for too long,”

The traffic light turned red, and Jaehyun stopped the car. That’s true. What he was hesitated for? Living in uncertainty was not his way. Nothing will change if he just stays idle.

“Kim Dahyun, right?” asked Jaehyun once he moved the shift gear.

“Yes, that’s my name,” she responded.

“Thank you,”

A sudden gratitude made Dahyun left in dazed.

***

“Oh no!” screamed Namjoon when he saw the warning to plug the handphone into the charger due to the low battery was shown. Without taking his eyes off the phone screen, he walked towards his bedroom. After safely plugging the phone into the charger, Namjoon continued the game until the cart reached the finish line. Because the phone started to heat up, Namjoon decided to end the game and let his phone get charged until it was full. He stood up from the chair, about to lie down on his bed. Yet, he just stood up and took a deep sigh.

“Ah, when will he wake up?” said Namjoon while staring at Jungkook who had conquered his bed.

As if Jungkook heard what he just said, he suddenly woke up and looked so panicked. He looked around and got even more startled when he saw Namjoon standing and staring at him.

“What’s wrong?” asked Namjoon to Jungkook who was still trying to catch a breath.

“I was having a weird dream,” said Jungkook half whispered.

“EWWWW GROSSSSS. How could you have a wet dream on someone else’s bed???” Namjoon misheard it because he spoke too softly.

“SCREW YOU. I SAID WEIRD. W-E-I-R-D,” Jungkook got so offended.

Namjoon’s face showed that he couldn’t believe it and his eyes trailed down to that part that made Jungkook throw a pillow at him. Although Jungkook was older and somewhat scary, Namjoon loved to . Also, despite his great build and intimidating aura as a captain, Jungkook was too soft and naïve. It made Namjoon willingly gamble his life to .

“Hey, what time is it?” Jungkook looked panicked when he realized he totally lost track of time.

Namjoon calmed him down by telling him it was still the same day and it was 4 PM. That information made him jump out of bed. Namjoon not even asking, but he willingly told him he was late for the cram school. That news amazed Namjoon. This senior of him totally different from before. Since when did he become a study warrior?

After washing his face, Namjoon handed him a bowl of hot soup. It was good for hangovers. Jungkook a bit hesitates but, in the end, he decided to take a short break and ate the soup. While he was eating, he asked Namjoon how he could end up in Namjoon’s room. Namjoon said Chaeyoung called him and Jimin to come to the park. When he arrived, Chaeyoung told him to bring him.

“Hyung, I love you, but I love Chaeyoung Noona more. I still cherish my life,”

“What? Did she tell you to not tell me about what happened?”

Namjoon gave a little nod. Seeing how tight Namjoon’s lips were shut, he decided to forget about it. There was no way he would betray her. He should admit, if he was in his position, he would do the same. That showed how scary she could be.

After he finished the soup, Jungkook rushed to the cram school. During the class, his mind was wandering around. He kept thinking about his dream. That dream was too real to be just a dream. He was too curious to know the truth. Sadly, he couldn’t even find a clue. The witnesses, which were Jimin and Namjoon kept their mouths tight. They won’t spill what he did when he was drunk. That left with the one only way. Asked her directly.

Because Jungkook took the third session, he finished the class very late. It’s almost 22.00 PM. The café must be closed. His phone battery was dead so he couldn’t contact her. Uncertain, Jungkook was still trying his luck by walking towards the café. The light was off, and the sign told him it was already closed. When he was about to leave, his eyes caught something in the far corner. The kitchen light was still on. Hesitantly he pushed the door, and it was still open. He walked inside and called out her name. Not long after, she showed up from the kitchen.

“Why have you put the light off? Aren’t you said you fear ghosts?” asked Jungkook while turning the lights on.

She giggled and said humans were scarier than ghosts. If the lights were still on, people might notice she was still there. Jungkook frowned.

“Well, isn’t it better if you just locked the door?”

“That’s true. But, if I lock it, you won't know if I am still here,”

“What? Why are you being so certain I will come?”

“So, you won't come?”

“Hemm… I will. But what if I don’t come?”

“You won’t,”

Jungkook blushed. The dream he had was replaying again in his head, and it made him even redder.

“You promised Seokjin Oppa, you would walk me home. So, I am sure for certain, you will come. If not, I will report you to him,” the blush on Jungkook’s cheek made her decide to .

His expression changed drastically, and it made Chaeyoung try so hard to hold her smile.

Today, one of Chaeyoung’s co-workers didn’t feel well so she told her to go home early after her shift ends. She offered to close the café. Besides her, there was another guy who was supposed to close the café with her. But she told him to go with the sick co-workers. Afraid something bad might happen. They felt uneasy to leave her alone, but Chaeyoung assured them she would be okay. Jungkook will come to accompany her. Hearing Jungkook’s name being mentioned, they felt so relieved.

Although Jungkook wasn’t the official part-timer, he often got a salary from the manager for being a helper. Actually, he didn’t mind if the manager didn’t pay him. Being able to spend time together with his crush was more than enough. Spending his time almost every day at the café and being an emergency helper made Jungkook do all kinds of the part-timers would do without being told.

Seeing Chaeyoung get out of the storage room bringing the sweep, Jungkook immediately moved to the nearest table and put the chair up. Their teamwork was exceptionally good. While cleaning up, Jungkook secretly took a glance at Chaeyoung. He was deadly curious about what happened when he was drunk. Namjoon and Jimin didn't tell him anything besides that he passed out. Those two clearly being threatened by her to keep it a secret. In the end, he has no option but to ask her directly.

“Is there something in my face?” asked Chaeyoung. Since the beginning, she was already aware Jungkook was stealing a glance. As if he wanted to say something but he postponed it. It made her curious.

Jungkook quickly shook his head and continued to help her sweep and mop the floor. Realizing Chaeyoung already caught his suspicious behavior, he intentionally moved to the farthest corner to mop the floor. He knew, once she got interested, there was no way he could escape her interrogation.

The floor was shining as if it was made from crystal. Jungkook worked hard to mop it. It’s not without reason. The memory of his dream kept haunting him. To distract himself, he mop the floor as hard as he could. Now the floor was clean, he moved to the kitchen. Different from mopping the floor, washing dishes didn’t require much strength, it made Jungkook drown in his thought again. While washing the cup, his mind brought him back to the dream that seems so real to be called a dream. It made him embarrassed.

“AH, I AM GOING CRAZY,” he shouted to let out his frustration.

“What makes you go crazy?” Chaeyoung asked him from the kitchen door.

Jungkook was so surprised and almost dropped the cup he washes. He gulped and quickly showed an awkward smile and said it was nothing. Chaeyoung didn’t give a response and it made him think she didn't heed it. Contrary to his thought, Chaeyoung walked closer to him and stared with suspicious eyes.

“You’ve been acting so suspicious. What is it on your mind that bothering you that much?” she asked out of concern.

Jungkook got flustered. He didn’t know how to say it to her. It will be so awkward if he told her the real reason. But, if he didn’t tell her, he would die due to curiosity.

“Hmm… May I ask you something?” said Jungkook while putting down the plate he was held.

“Sure,”

“Earlier today. Did I… do something… weird?”

Chaeyoung moved her head up and looked at Jungkook. Panic, Jungkook quickly explained he wondered whether he made a mistake when he was drunk. With a cold stare, Chaeyoung asked why he wanted to know. Jungkook focused his eyes on the dishes to avoid her eyes. Trying to act as cool as he can, he answered by saying he felt uneasy about it. After a few seconds of considering, she then replied by saying he didn’t do anything weird. He just passed out once he finished some laps of jogging. Her answer was the same as Jimin and Namjoon. Yet, he still felt something was off. It felt like she was hiding something important.

“You said you don’t remember a thing. But why do you ask? Are you sure it’s not because you have some vague recollection of what happened?” as a quick-witted person, Chaeyoung could grasp some hidden meaning behind those sudden questions. She was certain he must have remembered some pieces, but he couldn’t tell the whole picture. If he completely forgot, he won’t get so distracted since earlier.

Jungkook gasped. He got so nervous and almost admitted her accusation. But the embarrassment was too big that made him not fall into her trap. With a straight face and calm voice, he said he had never been drunk like that before. Some people tend to make mistakes when they were drunk. So, he just wanted to apologize if he happened to make an embarrassing mistake.

“Actually, you did something. You said you don’t remember a thing, so I don’t want to tell you. I am afraid you will be so embarrassed and … guilty. But seems like you are so eager to know,” determined to make him admit he remember what happened, Chaeyoung decided to play some trick.

Jungkook’s attention now fully moved from the dishes to Chaeyoung. With an anxious expression and a beating heart, he was looking at Chaeyoung. A smile bloomed on Chaeyoung’s face when her bait was getting bitten.

“Are you sure you want to hear it?” she confirmed it again.

Jungkook nodded without hesitation.

“Are you sure you can bear the embarrassment?”

It took a second before he nodded.

“What will you do after you hear it? Do you still want to apologize?”

“Sure. If it’s something that deserves an apology,”

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes, pretending to consider whether she should tell him or not.

“Well… I will be disappointed if you apologize though,” she said with a sad voice.

Jungkook’s face was blushing again. Her statement made him almost go crazy. What the hell did he do? Did the dream actually a real thing? What if it’s true? Should he apologize? But, she said… She said…

“So, are you sure you want to know?” her question slapped Jungkook back to reality.

“Yes,” this time, he confidently answered her questions.

“Fine. I hope you won’t regret it,” she said it while took one step closer to Jungkook. She locked her eyes to him, pulled Jungkook’s jacket and forced him to lower his height. Jungkook’s face gradually become redder and it made her smiled wickedly. When their height match, she put her other hand to his cheek, and slowly moved her face closer to him. Jungkook didn’t move an inch, hold his breath and get stiffed. As her face was getting closer and closer, his heartbeat was getting twice faster. So, the dream was… the dream was…

Chaeyoung’s lips were just a few centimeters away from him, and suddenly he got so scared and embarrassed that made him close his eyes.

“It’s a secret,” she whispered through his ears then let her hands go from his jacket. She told him to move away so that she could wash the dishes. Jungkook wasn’t the employee so he shouldn’t do it.

Jungkook still had a hard time processing what just happened. He just stood in his place and looked so stupid with a blank face. He wanted to demand a further explanation, but he was too coward to confront her. Her action gave him fatal damage. Staying with her longer could make him totally lose his sanity. So, without being told twice, he quickly run away.

Sitting on the dark counter, Jungkook was trying to figure out the meaning behind her action. He then busy guessing what was the next move he did. What she demonstrated was the same as his dream. Even the missing part was the same. He wondered what he did after that. Did... did he kiss her?

The sound of a phone ringtone jumped the scare out of Jungkook. He was looking through the counter and saw Chaeyoung’s phone ringing. He looked at the caller ID and then peeked through the space between the counter and the kitchen to inform her.

“Can you answer it for me?” said Chaeyoung while still busy washing the dishes.

Jungkook hesitated for a bit but then decided to do what he told. Once he answered, the caller sounds so confused and confirmed whether it was truly Chaeyoung’s phone.

“Yeah, she is in the kitchen and can’t hold a phone right now,” he explained the situation.

“I see… Wait, perhaps, are you Jungkook?” Jaehyun, the caller, seems to recognize his voice and try to confirm his guess.

Jungkook confirmed it. Jaehyun sounds so relieved and asked Jungkook to ask whether Chaeyoung had free time tomorrow. He needed her to help with the club assignment. Jungkook relayed the message to Chaeyoung and relayed the answer to Jaehyun.

“Alright. Ah, if you are free, you should come to help me too. The more the better. Can you come?” he asked.

“Sure,” without hesitation Jungkook answered the question.

***

A deep heavy sigh was heard. Two pairs of eyes quickly moved to the source of the sound. The excited spark in those eyes now changed into a scared terrified look.

“Seriously, if you still wanted to flirt, just get a room. What’s the point of inviting me while you treat me like a third wheel?” Chaeyoung put her iced coffee and glared at the two boys who sat in front of her.

Jungkook and Jaehyun immediately looked down to show they were reflecting on their mistake. Today Jaehyun asked Chaeyoung and Jungkook to help him with his film club’s assignments. It’s been quite a while since Jungkook and Jaehyun met so they just naturally catch up with each other’s life. At least that was what was seen by others. Actually, there was another meaning behind it.

It was not intentional at first. But instinctively they ignore and didn’t involve Chaeyoung in their conversation. The reason? For Jungkook, he still felt ashamed of what happened yesterday in the kitchen. He was afraid Jaehyun would catch him being shy and awkward around Chaeyoung. Jaehyun was the observant type, he would smell something fishy. It will be awkward if should tell him about what happened last night.

Similar to Jungkook, Jaehyun also did the same for the same reason. For some reason, he felt his jealousy grew even bigger whenever he saw Jungkook and Chaeyoung being so close. The unclear feeling, he has towards her also causes him to get afraid to get close to her. People said the way he behaves around her was like a boyfriend's behavior toward his girlfriend. It’s best to avoid such misunderstandings so he purposely ignores her.

The alarm was ringing and the three of them were taking out their own phone. Jungkook awkwardly apologized and said it was his alarm. He should attend his cram school so he should leave. Before he left, he looked at Jaehyun and Chaeyoung consecutively. The jealousy quickly grew on his heart seeing those two being left alone. He hates to admit it but those two look good together. His inferiority towards Jaehyun also made it worse.

“I will leave first. Jaehyun, I trust her to you. Don’t forget to take her home once you finished,” Jungkook sounded like a protective older brother made Chaeyoung hold her laugh. Seeing Chaeyoung’s smile made him embarrassed. He was afraid he sounded so cheesy.

“You know how Seokjin Hyung is,” Jungkook sold Seokjin's name to normalize what he just said.

Jaehyun laughed and assured him not to worry. With a forced smile, Jungkook left them and quickly headed toward his cram school.

The place Jaehyun choose to do his assignments was a park and housing area near Jaehyun’s campus. After Jungkook left, Jaehyun constantly looked at his watch. Chaeyoung caught it and asked whether he still have class. A bit flustered because he got caught, Jaehyun nodded. Right now, Jaehyun looked like a sad puppy. Chaeyoung felt pity seeing that adorable face. Jaehyun could be such a kid sometimes. Especially when he was sad and sulking.

“Are you free after your class? Let’s have some coffee and hang out for a bit. It’s been so long since we have a date, aren’t we?” from his gesture, she could tell he didn’t want to go to class. But, it didn’t do him good to skip any of his classes.

A smile bloomed on his face. Like an obedient puppy, he quickly packed his belongings and told Chaeyoung to wait for him. Without wasting any minutes, he was left towards his campus. Chaeyoung sent him off with the brightest smile. Now that she was alone, she finally could breathe. Never in her life, had she felt so guilty while hanging out with her closest friends. She kept too much information from each of them.

Two hours had passed. Hurriedly, Jaehyun left the class and opened his phone. A new message notification displayed Chaeyoung’s name. She told him she was on his campus and sent a picture of her exact location. On his way to her, some seniors and his friends constantly stopped him. Whether to ask him to hang out or discuss their projects or assignments. With a short excuse and a smile, Jaehyun refuse their offers or politely asked them to reschedule the discussion session.

The building where she waited was not too far from his current location. Didn’t want her to wait longer, he speeds walking to where she was. Using the angle of the picture, Jaehyun was trying to figure out her exact location. Once he was done predicting the location, he looked around. Strangely, he couldn’t find her. He dialed the call button while still roaming around the area. But, before she answered, he ended the call. With menacing eyes, he walked to the group of people who were sitting on the bench.

“Sorry to make you wait,” said Jaehyun.

Chaeyoung looked so glad when she heard his voice. When she was waiting for Jaehyun, a group of students was take a seat on the bench she sat on. Some of them tried to communicate with her at first. Although few of the man was trying to hit on her. She felt a bit uncomfortable but couldn’t just act harshly. Especially when she knew they were on the same faculty as Jaehyun.

“Oh, Jaehyun Hoobae! Do you know her?” asked one of the men who tried to hit on her.

“Yes, very well. I am sorry, sunbae, I have an appointment. Please excuse me,” Jaehyun pulled Chaeyoung’s hand and quickly got away from that group.

Jaehyun was very popular. On their way, they had to stop several times because of his acquaintances. Sometimes, some people who just passed by greeted him. Chaeyoung got stunned by his incredible popularity. When they almost reached the parking lot, one of his friends called him. It seems urgent because she was running towards him. Seems like he had an urgent meeting. He looked at Chaeyoung with an apologetic face. Chaeyoung smiled and told him to go. She would be exploring his campus while waiting for him.

“Does your phone still have batteries left?” asked Jaehyun.

“Yes. Don’t worry. Just go. I will inform you where I am wandering,” Chaeyoung ensured him she will be fine.

Jaehyun nodded and followed his friend. Before he left too far, he turned around. Chaeyoung thought he might forget something but turned out he just giving her his jacket. He told her to put on it. She refused by saying it was too big and it’s not matched her outfit.

“Just wear it. It’s hard for you to deal with a man who try to hit on you, right?” he looked a bit pissed.

Chaeyoung chuckled and nodded. She took his jacket and hang it on her arm.

“What else?” she asked as he hasn’t left.

“I won’t leave if you don’t wear it,” he insisted.

Chaeyoung purposedly let out a deep sigh. But she still followed his request. Once she done, he smiled then left. He hasn’t walked for a meter, he once again turned around. Chaeyoung showed a “what else” expression with her eyes.

“Use it to cover your legs when you sit. It might be a campus full of educated people. But, even educated people are not truly educated deep inside,”

“I got it. I got it. Stop acting like my dad. Just go. Your friend seems to get very worried,”

“Sorry, you must wait again. It won’t take long. I promise,” after saying it, he finally left.

Thirty minutes had passed. Jaehyun called her and hurriedly walked toward her location. There was a bazaar on his campus, and she take a look around. When he was looking for her, he accidentally met his high school soccer club senior. They were quite close so he couldn’t just ignore him.

This time, instead of Jaehyun who found Chaeyoung, it’s her who found him. When she comes over to him, he still chatting with his senior. To be polite, he introduces her to his senior. His senior showed a meaningful smile when he saw her. Seeing her wearing an oversized jacket, they assume she must be Jaehyun’s girlfriend. So, as a good senior, he quickly ended their mini-reunion. He didn’t want to take Jaehyun’s precious time.

“You truly are popular, aren’t you?” Chaeyoung teased Jaehyun.

“Sorry, I have no choice. But, don’t worry, next, I will just say hi,” he apologized.

“You know. I am okay if you want to interact with your friend. Don’t worry about me. I can look around until you finished your business,”

“But, I am not okay. I am not taking you here to leave you all alone,”

What he said made her heart beat a bit faster. She smiled and then asked him to take her around the bazaar. He felt unpleased, but then he agreed with her. As expected when they were wandering around, people kept on greeting Jaehyun. Although this time he just say hi and quickly left so the conversation won’t get too long.

“Chaeng, do you still want to look around?” he asked.

Chaeyoung could tell Jaehyun felt uncomfortable and wanted to leave as fast as possible. So, she decided to end this bazaar tour. But, before they left, she told Jaehyun that she want to buy an ice cream. That stall never got empty. She wondered how tasty it must be. He was a bit hesitant but then give in. So, they stood in line at the ice cream stall.

“Oh, Jaehyun! Hi!” said a girl who was standing in front of him. Since they were standing in line, Jaehyun couldn’t avoid her. They were exchanging news about their club project until she realized Jaehyun wasn’t alone.

“Hmm… Excuse me, but aren’t you Park Chaeyoung?” asked the girl.

Chaeyoung was a bit surprised but then politely smiled and confirmed it was indeed her. Just like Chaeyoung, Jaehyun also felt a bit surprised. He asked whether they knew each other. Chaeyoung’s eyes were shaking. She felt guilty cause honestly she didn’t know that girl.

“Oh, I bet she doesn’t know who I am. Chaeyoung-sshi is very popular in our cram school. There is no single soul in our cram school who didn’t know who she is. That’s why I am so surprised to see her here. I didn’t know she enrolled in here too,”

The look on Jaehyun’s face changed. Chaeyoung was quick to realize and as a preventive measure, she held Jaehyun’s hand to give him a sign that she was okay.

“Hahaha, I didn’t know I am that popular. Well… Truthfully I am not a student here,”

“Oh sorry. I thought you were. Since you wore that jacket. So then, where were you going? Yonsei? Korea University?” she innocently asked her about her status.

“Well… None of them,” she replied.

“No in way! You were always in the top ten!”

“Hahaha… You’re right. But, it doesn’t mean I can’t fail. In the end, life is all about luck, you know,” she responded nonchalantly.

“You are right. I mean, I never make it up even to the top 50 yet here I am,”

Jaehyun couldn’t stand that girl any longer. It was written on his face. Chaeyoung chuckled softly when she saw it. Clearly, this girl was insulting her, but instead of her, it was Jaehyun who looked pissed. While the girl was bragging about herself, Jaehyun leaned closely to Chaeyoung and told her he would buy her more delicious ice cream. So, it’s better to ditch this line and leave. Before she gave him permission, he already dragged her away.

Now, they were in a place that was secluded enough that not so many people passing by. Jaehyun let out a big sigh and apologized for making her uncomfortable. Chaeyoung guessed he felt guilty about the girl earlier. Well, seems like she hit the bullseye. He continued by saying there was no way that girl didn’t know Chaeyoung failed her test. She might be trying to make her look good in front of him. The rumor said that girl was one of the persistent girls who chased after him.

“Oh, My God! How could you be so full of yourself? You are so sure she likes you. Hahaha, that's a bit ... cringe. Anyway... about that girl, I believe she was just shocked, that’s all. Although I admitted she was a bit annoying, but what she said isn’t wrong either. It’s not the first time I am dealing with that kind of situation anyway. It’s inevitable. Besides, I am stronger than you think I am. Don't worry about me,,”

Hearing what she said made him embarrassed. Actually, it’s him who felt uncomfortable yet he use her as an excuse.

“Sorry,” he apologized.

“What are you sorry for? Come on, don’t ruin the mood. Let’s go back and have fun. It’s a bazaar anyway. I saw lots of interesting food out there,” she tried to persuade him to go back to the bazaar.

“Actually, I don’t want to go back,” finally Jaehyun talked it out.

“Why?”

“It’s too crowded. And there are a lot of people,”

Chaeyoung thought he just felt bad because he was too busy interacting with his friends and ended up ignoring her. As for her, she actually enjoyed the bazaar.

“Hmm... How about we just going to buy food and then look for somewhere quiet to eat?”

“No, it’s not like I hate crowded places or else. I am just…,”

“You just?”

“I am just wanting to be alone,”

She was a bit startled when she heard his reason. She remembered the time when he felt sick after that unstoppable drinking party. Socializing indeed took a lot of energy. So, she kind of understood why he felt exhausted.

“I guess… It can’t be helped. You’ve met so many people today. I think it’s better for us to go home,”

“No. That’s not what I mean… I… errghh…,” he was struggling to say it. Unlike his usual self, right now, it was too hard for him to say cheesy flirtatious words with ease.

“Yeah… I am exhausted due to meeting so many people. That’s why I want to be alone. But, what I mean is. Not by myself, but also with you,”

Chaeyoung got stunned. How could she get fluttered with the sweet words and actions he did today? It’s not like he has never done it before. Their everyday interactions were filled with flirting and teasing like what a real couple did. She was so used to it. But why, it was so different this time?

"Hmm... If that's what you want then...," she responded after a long pause.

Looking at the time, it will be too early to have dinner. Let’s see, what activity they could do that not involved so many people? Watching movies? But this was an awkward time cause the movie schedule was usually an hour from now. Then… After thinking a bit long, Chaeyoung smiled. There was one, activity which only involved two of them, without any interference from other people.

***

“Aaahhh… aahhh… Please go slower!”

“No chance!”

“You are going too fast! I thought you said it is your first time!”

“Indeed,”

“So, please. Could you please go slower? I am afraid,”

“Oh, come on! You are being overly dramatic!”

The speedometer on the dashboard was showing a decrease in velocity from 40 to 20 km/hour. Chaeyoung got so pouty and kept complaining that the car was as slow as a turtle. Yet Jaehyun kept telling her to slow down. He never let go of the grab handle throughout the drive as if his life depends on it.

“Let’s take a break. My heart can’t take it anymore,” Jaehyun begged. Looking at how pale Jaehyun looked, she agreed. They were stopping in the nearest café, have a rock-paper-scissor battle, and the loser had to go out and buy the coffee. Unlucky for Chaeyoung, she lose and had to go out. As soon as she got out, Jaehyun quickly moved to the driver's seat. He rested his head and looked out to the café.

After Jaehyun said he wanted to be alone, she suggested they go on a drive. But, when they arrived at the parking lot, she changed her mind. She suddenly asked him to teach her how to drive. At first, he refused it by saying it was a bit dangerous, but he gave up in the end. She persuaded him by saying it was the payment for helping him with his assignments. Lose of words, he agreed. Now, here he was, feeling exhausted cause he was being anxious for more than an hour.

While waiting for her, he the radio, looking for a good channel that play music he likes. After he found it, he adjusted the seat, rest his head, close his eyes, then lastly put his hands in his jacket’s pocket.

“Is it my fault if I'm not good at expressing?

I'm a warm girl in a cold city

Can't I just tell you I like you?

I just want to be

 

Go away, no don't go away

Show me your heart, no don't show it to me

All day, only your smile is in my head

Do you wanna just go out?

 

Starting from today, I'm gonna have something with you

I'm gonna call you every day

Even though I can't eat gluten

I'm gonna go around eating delicious food with you

 

As the song played on the radio, Jaehyun took out the thing in his pocket that he had been holding. It’s a bracelet he gave to Naeun that was returned to him by her parents. They said to pass the bracelet to someone precious to him. Who that person was, it’s already on his mind. Because no one ever come to his head the moment he said: “precious”. For days, he kept getting back and forth about the words he should say when he gave it to her.

“So, so sweet, you're really so sweet

So, so sweet, you are

 

Can't I just tell you I like you?

I just want to be honest”

 

Jaehyun scoffed when he heard the lyrics of the song. Truly, the universe now played a joke on him. Did it tease his cowardly ? Or it gave the sign for him to take courage and make all this ambiguity feeling to be clear?

“Knock knock,”

Jaehyun got startled as he heard a knocking sound from the window. He turned his head and saw Chaeyoung who mouthed to tell him to open the door. Panicking, he looked around and realized the door was locked. Quickly he push the open button and Chaeyoung quickly went inside. She then handed him the coffee. Before he took it, he quickly hid the bracelet in the jacket’s pocket. While he sipped the coffee, he got surprised. It’s not an Iced Americano but a sweet caramel latte. Afraid she had brought the wrong order; he confirmed it to her. Without a doubt, she said it was the correct order. Jaehyun was exhausted and he needed something sweet.

“Why? You don’t like it?” she started to get worried.

“No. I like it,” he replied in a low voice, more like a mumble. Like. That word, why it was so hard to say?

“What did you say?”

“Eung?”

“Want me to buy an Ice Americano? Sorry, I bought it without asking your opinion,”

“Ah, no. I… Like it,” this time he said with a little confidence.

Chaeyoung smiled but got a bit worried. Why was that troubled expression appearing on his face again? Did he have a problem he couldn’t tell? Should she ask him about it?

“Chaeyounga,”

“Yes!” She was startled cause he suddenly spoke right before she was about to ask.

“I… have something to tell you,”

“Yes, go ahead,” she replied brightly, hoping Jaehyun was finally able to share his worry.

He looked Chaeyoung in the eyes, showing such a serious face but there was a bit of anxiety on it. The atmosphere suddenly got so tense. Besides, it became so quiet that the song from the radio appeared to be louder than before.

“Starting from today, I'm gonna have something with you

I'm gonna call you every day

Even though I can't eat gluten

I'm gonna go around eating delicious food with you”

 

Isn't this how love starts?

Maybe it's like hanging half my heart on you

Even though it feels like you'll reject me

I'm gonna give it a try once more”

 

“Shall we continue your driving lesson?” he asked.

Chaeyoung who was anticipating the thing what he was going to say suddenly felt a bit pissed. So, the worry he had was this private driving lesson? She thought it was something big. But, deep inside she was happy cause he was just doing fine. So, instead of nagging him, she .

"Didn't you say your life span got shortened because of me? What's with the sudden change of heart?"

Jaehyun smiled and said he didn’t like something being halfway done. So, at least they should continue until dinner time. She still hasn’t learned how to do parallel parking.

The lesson took place in Jaehyun’s housing complex where there were not enough vehicles and of course, it’s safer.

Another two hours had passed. Jaehyun didn’t expect it, but she was truly a fast learner. Talking about perfect, this girl was annoyingly good at everything. If they were childhood friends or went to the same school, there was no way they would be close friends. Their competitive asses were too bothersome to handle.

“Hey, my stomach is howling. Let’s grab something to eat,” said Jaehyun while giving a sign for her to switch places.

“Hehehe you’re right. And I know what’s perfect for dinner,” she replied while they were passing each other in front of the car.

“What’s that?” he asked after they were inside the car.

“McDonald. Let’s order from the drive-through and eat it somewhere near the Han River. You know. Sitting on the car’s hood. What a scene! Like in a teenage movie,” she excitedly talked about her perfect ideal dinner.

Hearing those words come out of made him display a “what is this girl thinking” face. She felt displeased with his reaction. But, before she throws her argument, he was stepping on the gas pedal. She smiled and was happy about her victory. He might be craving McDonald too. Although he hates the idea of the place where they will eat.

“Is that all sir?” asked the staff.

“Yes,” he replied after the staff repeated their order.

“Oh wait!!” she shouted. Jaehyun asked whether she wanted to add something. She muttered her order but Jaehyun had difficulty remembering. So that she unbuckled the safety belt and crawled to Jaehyun’s seat to talk to the staff through the window. Her sudden action made him extremely startled. Her body was too close to his face so he close his eyes and adjusted his seat so it slid back. After he felt she finally moved, he adjusted it back to normal.

While waiting for their orders to be made, Jaehyun still hasn’t recovered from what just happened. He was too embarrassed to talk about it as a man. But he should say it as a friend. After deliberate war with himself, he decided, the friend side was winning. So he told Chaeyoung to don’t do something like that ever again. More importantly, she should be more cautious around men.

“You sound like Jin Oppa. He once said all men are wolves,”

“That’s true,”

“But I trust you,”

“Thanks. But don’t cross the line. It’s not like I will do anything bad. It’s just, I am a man too. Please take precautions. For the sake of etiquette, manner, etcetera,” he was a bit blushed when he said it.

“Yeah, I guess you are right. Sorry. It won’t happen again,”

Just like that, that conversation was never mentioned again. They were now talking about Chaeyoung’s new fan whom Jaehyun just discovered. The medical student he met in the treatment center. He talked about how she called Chaeyoung Unni and was too shy to greet her although she often met Chaeyoung near their neighborhood. As the story about that girl was going on, they arrived near the Han River where they would have dinner.

Once the car stopped, they both got out and opened the passenger door. Chaeyoung brought the drinks while Jaehyun brought their meals. It took longer for Jaehyun because Jaehyun had to separate theirs and the boxes Chaeyoung bought for Jimin and Jin. Chaeyoung already set their drink on the car’s hood. Jaehyun laughed and put the boxes on it too. When he was about to sit down, he accidentally nudged the coke-float and it spilled on Chaeyoung’s hand and the car's hood.

“Oh My God I am so sorry!” Jaehyun quickly went inside the car to take a box of tissues and handed it to her.

After cleaning up the mess, Jaehyun once again apologized to her. There was no toilet, so they only used mineral water and hand sanitizer to clean their hands. Because her hand was directly spilled by the coke, although she already cleaned it, it still felt sticky. But there was no time to go to wash her hands by going to the nearest toilet which couldn’t be found. So, she just let it be. She already cleaned it anyway. Her stomach was already crying out loud. Besides, the burger and the chicken wouldn’t get as tasty as when they were still hot.

Chaeyoung already started to eat while Jaehyun was still busy cleaning the used tissue. He complained about how Chaeyoung was eating ahead of him. But she just smiled and said she couldn't hold her hunger any longer.

“Yes, I can see it. You are veeery hungry that even make you eat your hair,” he snickered.

“Ah, the wind is unexpectedly working really hard,” she tried to brush off the hair with her forearm. She said her hands were sticky, so she didn’t want to touch them.

“I am sorry,” he felt bad cause that situation was caused by him.

Another strong wind blow suddenly caressed her face and messed her hair. Although he was sorry, he couldn’t help but laugh. He then offered to tie it for her. His hands were still clean. Besides, if she didn’t tie it, it would get dirtier because of the grease, sauce, mayonnaise, and other thing. Annoyed by the wind and agreeing with his statement, she reached out her hands to him. He smiled and pull the hair tie that she put on her wrist. Carefully, she brushed her hair with his fingers to make it neat. Surely, shoulder-length hair was harder to tie than longer hair.

After he finished, he stood in front of her to judge his work. It’s neat enough. When he looked at her, he held out his laughter. She was usually careful with how she eats. But this time she might be really hungry. She ate like a kid. It’s so messy.

“What? Is there something on my face?” she asked when seeing Jaehyun’s smug face.

Jaehyun just smiled cheekily and did not say anything. She was about to wipe it with the back of her hand, but Jaehyun’s hand was faster. He reached out his hand and was about to wipe it out of instinct. For a second, it felt like they felt the time had stopped and suddenly it became so quiet. Jaehyun could feel his heartbeat increasing. The looks in their eyes were changing. If it’s not because of the wind which seems to unfreeze the time, they would still look at each other. Thanks to the wind too, instead of doing classical and cliché things like wiping the sauce, he tuck her hair that couldn’t get tied to the back of her ear. He then took some distance and smile gently.

“Not bad. I think I have the talent to become a hairdresser,” he intentionally said to brush out the strange and heart-throbbing situation.

“Wow, what confidence,” she responded.

Next, they just sat down without saying anything. Just enjoying their food. As the food slowly vanished into their stomach, the ambiance between them also slowly become normal.

“Talking about that girl, Kim Dahyun. You know. I think you should be friends with her. Jisoo Unnie ever said, Jin Oppa used to live like you. According to Jisso Unni, people said Jin Oppa was one of the most easygoing and humble handsome guys they ever met. Not only that, he was kind, smart, and witty too. Although sometimes his jokes are lame. But people love it cause it made him look more “human”. But, as great as he got described, at some point, he also got exhausted.

“Sometimes, when he felt exhausted, he would come over to her. They were studying in different faculties. Besides, girls tend to drink less than men, so even if he got caught up with Jisoo Unnie’s friends, they won’t be drinking,” Chaeyoung gave him some advice about his over-popularity problem.

It's not a bad idea. That’s what Jaehyun thought. Kim Dahyun, seems like a good person and hates drinking parties too. Maybe, after he got the chance to introduce her to Chaeyoung, they could be friends. Now, they mentioned Daehyun. Jaehyun remembered that she was the one who indirectly encouraged him to make a decision.

“You won’t know the answer if you haven’t tried it. If the result turns out bad, then it might be the right one for you. So, don’t hesitate and just go with what your heart told you to do. Opportunity doesn’t wait for too long,”

As he recited that wise quote by Daehyun, he decided to not miss the timing like before. Yes. Just said it. Casually. Don’t be nervous. Don’t be afraid. You only need to say three words. That’s all.

“Chaeyounga,” he called out her name.

She turned her head. Waiting for him to say the reason her name got called. Jaehyun took a deep breath before he turned his head to look at her. Now, their eyes met. The mood was perfect. The timing was perfect. Now, say those words. Jaehyun’s brain kept commanding him.

“I… like…,”

“Oh, sorry, I think my phone is ringing,” she suddenly interrupted and quickly took her phone out.

Jaehyun smiled and told her to take the call. He let out a deep sigh. The river looked so calm. Once again, he missed the timing. The courage he gradually built up now vanished. Yet, his heart was still beating so fast. Who knows, saying two words could make him feel like he was having soccer practice.

“Hey, I think I should go home. Jin Oppa called and complained that he was hungry. Hahaha,” she laughed awkwardly. Jaehyun gave a vague smile then told her to go inside if she was already done eating.

The traffic was not bad today. It took approximately twenty minutes to reach her home. They both were so full and tired after hanging out since early morning. So that, they just enjoy the music and night drive.

“By the way. What do you want to say earlier? I just heard you said I’d like…,” she asked him when they were passing through a McDonalds. It reminded her about the interrupted conversation.

“Oh, that. Just want to say I’d like to introduce you to Kim Dahyun. If you’d like, I will arrange a meeting between you two. I just think, if I can do her a favor, maybe it will get easier if I want to be her friend. Although I felt bad cause it seems like I just want to take advantage of her,” he was a bit flustered because she actually heard what he said earlier.

Without thinking, Chaeyoung agreed. She then said she would put a good word for Jaehyun. So Dahyun will accept his offer to become friends. He smiled and thanked her for her good intentions. After that conversation ended, they continued the ride without saying a single word. Chaeyoung even dozed off and Jaehyun told her to take a short nap. She refused at first, but not strong enough to resist her heavy eyes. She woke up when the car stopped in front of her apartment. Still half asleep, she got out and say goodbye to Jaehyun.

Jaehyun waited until she got inside her apartment building. When she was nowhere to be seen, he rested his head on the chair. Now, come a regret. He failed twice in a row to confess his feeling. Whether it was a bad sign, or it wasn’t the right time. When he closed his eyes, the song he heard earlier was coming on his mind. He didn’t know the title, so he looked it up on the internet. After he found it, he played it before he started his car. He planned to solemnly listen to it on his way home. Wondering what the end of the story was since he hadn’t listened to the song till the end.

Starting from today, I'm gonna have something with you

I'm gonna call you every day

Even though I can't eat spicy food

I'm gonna go around eating delicious food with you

 

Press "like" on my photos like you do for her

Let me talk to you too

I feel so down so I'm giving up today

Just when I'm about to look back, you hold onto me

 

So, so sweet, you're really so sweet

So, so sweet, you are”

 

“Hahaha… so, they ended up together. Good for her,” Jaehyun was giggling after found out the last lyrics of the song sang by Bol4. The title truly picturing his relationship with her. Some. As the song finished, it became so quiet. Suddenly, he felt so sad. Although he hasn’t confessed his feelings, why did he suddenly feel so broken-hearted? The silence really killed him, so he just put that song on repeat.

When the song almost came to an end for the second time, it suddenly got interrupted. There was an incoming call from Chaeyoung. He was a bit surprised but before waiting for another second, he push the call button on the steering wheel.

“Jaehyuna! I forgot to take the McDonalds!” she sounded panicked. He bet Jin and Jimin were scolding her. He laughed at her clumsiness and consoled her that he would deliver it right away. She sounded so happy and relieved.

“I must be crazy,” he talked to himself after the phone call ended. Just a minute ago, he was so sad and heartbroken, now he got cheered up again. As the phone call ended, the song was playing again. He put the volume up and now sings along with it.

Jaehyun parked his car in the parking lot near the convenience store. Somehow, he felt like he needed some walking. This street was so familiar to him. He used to walk her home almost every day when they were still preparing for the university entrance exam. Think about it again, how long it has been since he has walked her home? It felt like a decade ago. Since they graduated and he went to university, their meeting could get counted with fingers. Now, he got so jealous of Jungkook because he was able to walk her home almost every day.

“I am here,” he called once he arrived in front of her apartment.

“JAEHYUNAAA!!!” she shouted his name full of happiness.

He laughed seeing her reaction. She must be get scolded so badly that made her got so happy to see the McDonald’s boxes he was holding.

It's strange. As she walked closer to her, the happiness he just felt slowly vanished. It suddenly turned into anxiety. His heart got so chaotic.

When their hands brushed against each other as he gave the boxes, his attention completely got distracted. Now, he couldn't even hear what she was saying. His mind just thinking about holding into that hand. Yet, his brain couldn't process it and his muscles couldn't execute it.

After taking the boxes, she said her gratitude and goodbye. Then, slowly walked back into her apartment. There was a longing in Jaehyun’s eyes as he saw her back was leaving him. He truly wanted to grab that wrist and told her not to leave. But, he couldn’t do it. When she reached the apartment door, he turned around.

“I feel so down so I'm giving up today”

The lyrics from the song he just heard were ringing in his head.

“Just when I'm about to look back, you hold onto me”

Jaehyun stopped. He remembered how she always called him on the count of six after he turned his back. The day hasn’t ended yet. He still has a chance. Now, he bet on his love life. If she called him after he counted to six, then he will confess no matter what happened.

One… Two…

“Jung… Jaehyun…?”

***

“Bro, can I borrow your notes?” asked Sewoon, the boy who sat next to Jungkook.

Jungkook didn't give any response until that Sewoon poke his hand. He was a bit startled, apologize, and asked him to repeat his question. Once he heard it, he apologized once again as he saw there was nothing in his notebook. It wasn’t like him. Usually, he would write down any important information not only on the whiteboard but also on what the teacher said. That was why his friends loved to borrow his notes. However, during these past three days, his mind was wandering around and he didn’t focus on the class. The reason was none other than Chaeyoung. Now he knew why most of his friends broke up with their girlfriends. Being in a relationship truly took a big portion of time and attention. Even for him who wasn’t in a relationship but only had a crush, it's already so distracting.

Due to the “drunk” incident and Chaeyoung’s reenactment of what he did in that incident, he couldn’t focus. He missed her like crazy, yet when they met, he couldn’t even stand or sit too close to her. When she was trespassing even for a bit into his personal space, his mind would bring those memories back to his head. It made him instantly get red. Nevertheless, the intensity of her going around in his head increased drastically. During class, he kept thinking about what would they eat for lunch, or what conversation topic he would bring. At night, he would think about what outfit would be good to wear tomorrow and what style he should apply to his hair.

The cafe's financial condition was getting better due to its slow but sure growing popularity. The manager decided to add more employees. Now, Chaeyoung could take a lesser shift. Her role now switched to being the tutor of the cafe's members. Among all the members, Jungkook could be categorized as the VVIP. That was why when there was no appointment from the member whose point meet the milestone to get a free tutoring session, Chaeyoung would be able to tutor him.

Nowadays, Jungkook felt like he was on cloud nine. not only because he got more quality time with her, but also because of the changed of her attitude. Somehow, he felt like she became more patient and gentler when she tutored him.

Logically speaking, those two conditions were supposed to make Jungkook's grade to climbed up. On the contrary, his rank dropped quite a lot. His love got the best of him. Instead of focusing on her explanation, he was busy getting charmed by her beauty and charm. No wonder his grade was the one which had to suffer.

It’s Monday again. Jungkook sighed when looking at the board in the cram school’s lobby. What reason should he tell Chaeyoung when she asked about his dropped rank? He couldn’t just tell her the truth. But, he couldn’t lie either. Speak of the devil, Chaeyoung opened the door while bringing a box of coffee. She greeted him happily and before she got realized what he was doing, he quickly distracted her by asking where to go for lunch. She looked a bit sad and apologized. Today she already had an appointment with Jaehyun. She would like to invite him but by the time Jaehyun arrived, Jungkook’s class would start. He felt a bit disappointed but there was nothing he could do. Luckily, he didn't lose his chance to go home together.

The time seems to be ticking slower than usual. Jungkook impatiently, waited for the class to end. When the bell was ringing, he quickly ran over to the lobby. A smile bloomed automatically as soon as he saw Chaeyoung who was waiting on the sofa. On their way home, he asked her about her lunch and about how Jaehyun had been doing. Their conversation tonight was about the members of the study group. What were they doing, what were their targets, and everything related to them?

Unlike before, the time seems to run faster when he spent it with her. In no time, they already arrived at her apartment. Before saying goodbye, Chaeyoung told him that she would take some days off from work. So that they won’t see each other for the time being. He smiled bitterly. He wanted to whine, but he held it as he felt he had no right to.

“What’s with that face? Are you sad?” she after seeing that forced smile.

“No, why should I?”

His reply made her widen her eyes and looked at him with a surprised face.

“Heh, that is what I want to say confidently. But I can’t lie. Of course, I am a bit sad,” couldn’t pretend to be fine, he decided to show his honest feelings.

“Sorry for making you sad,” contrary to her words, she showed a mischievous smile when she said it.

“Well… It can’t be helped,” he tried so hard to appear strong.

She was smiling and waved her hand to say goodbye.

“Chaeyounga!” he called her before she entered the door.

As usual, his instinct runs faster than his brain. He always shouted her name first then think later about what he was about to say once she turned.

“Don’t miss me. I am just away for a few days,” before he could say something, she cut him.

He was shocked at first, but then smiling gently. That girl was truly amazing. How could she know his feeling so well?

***

Disaster. What a disaster. Free falling was dangerous. Jungkook’s face turned as pale as a ghost when he looked at the result of this weekly evaluation. His name wasn’t on the first board. The top half ranker was on the first board, and the other half was on the second board. What’s even worse, his name was located on the second column out of five. Which means, he was in the 60 percentiles. He got lucky Chaeyoung didn’t bring his rank on the plate last week. He was gulping and regretting his lazy self.

On lunch break, after filling his stomach, he went to a café to buy coffee. Chaeyoung said she took some days off, but she occasionally came to the café to help. But, they never met as she came in an uncertain time. When he entered, the manager greeted him and told him Chaeyoung wasn’t there. He chuckled and said he came to buy coffee.

“What? So Jungkook came here not because he likes our coffee? But to see Chaeyoungie? Then he won’t come… ugh!!” Before Jihyo finished the sentence, the manager nudged her stomach and threatened her through her intense gaze.

“Hahaha… No, I like the coffee too. There is no way I become a regular if I don’t like it. Although I admitted I have ulterior motives too,” No matter how often he got teased regarding his crush, he never get used to it. Whenever Chaeyoung’s coworkers , he would be blushing red. Although he was shy, he could respond well to their tease and even draw their sympathy so that they would give him their support.

“Of course, our coffee tastes great. Anyway, I am sorry for accusing you,” Jihyo quickly apologized for her rude words.

“Nah, it’s okay. If you feel sorry, you can just inform me when she is coming,” Jungkook consoled her.

The look on Jihyo’s face was changed. She was smiling and said she would do it. Something was a bit out of place. Although she was smiling, her eyes told otherwise. Somewhat Jungkook felt she was pitying him. Not an insulting pity, but more like apologetic. The stranger thing was most of them showed the same expression. As if they were trying to hide something that only he doesn’t know. According to his experiences working with them, it's no use if pry too much. Even without him doing it, those people would tell him without they realized it.

The class was over and so did his studying spirit. Jungkook just back to realize how tiresome it was to study. He knew it wasn’t fun, but all this time he got additional fuel that allowed him to charge up whenever he was tired. Being left for only a few days truly drained him up. Unlike usual which he was always the first one to leave the class, this time he was almost the last time to stay.

“What took you so long?” a familiar voice was asking him as soon as he stepped out of the building.

He turned his head and saw Chaeyoung standing there looking a bit pissed. His tired eyes now changed into sparkly boba eyes. Overjoyed with what he saw, he almost hugged her. Luckily, he got great self-control. But one thing he couldn’t control. it was his happiness which was shown by his happy face and wide smile.

“I am sorry, are you waiting that long? You should tell me so that I will go out as soon as the bell ring,” he apologized for making her wait.

Being excited for finally seeing her again after so long (although it’s just a few days), Jungkook braved himself and asked her whether she want to stop by the new cake shop. To persuade her, he said it was his token of apology for making her wait for him. She said yes right away and it made his happiness meter reach the max. The tiredness from studying he felt just a few minutes ago vanished without a trace.

Since they haven’t met for a few days, Jungkook expected to hear her story during her days off. Sadly, it’s not his lucky day. Chaeyoung was busy and preoccupied with her phone. She apologized beforehand though. She said she couldn't ignore it because it was related to her family and the family business. Since it was from her family and it was related to business, Jungkook couldn’t say anything about it. Besides, being able to see her, listening to her voice, and simply being there next to her was more than enough to make him forget about the hardship of being a university hunter.

After patiently waiting for her to finish her business, he finally got her attention once they ride the bus. Seems like she was tired so instead of telling her story, she asked Jungkook what he did when she was away. When they were almost reached their destination, her phone was ringing again. She took the call once they stood up and waited near the bus’s door. Her left hand was holding the phone, and the right one grip on the pole. Jungkook stood behind her and stay on guard. He was afraid she would tumble once the bus stopped.

“Okay, Mom. I’ll ask Jaehyun about it. Yes. Okay. Good night, Mom!” she ended the phone call when she got off the bus.

Although Jungkook tried not to pay attention to her conversation with her Mom, sometimes he couldn’t help but overhear. Especially when there was a word that caught his attention. Like the mention of Jaehyun’s name. He was curious whether it was the Jaehyun he knew, or someone else. There were lots of people in Korea whose names were Jaehyun. So, although he was curious, he didn’t want to ask why her mom knew Jaehyun.

“I am very sorry because your story got cut off by my mom. So, what happened to the dude? Did he finally pass the exam?” to remind Jungkook she was fully paying attention to him, she asked him about the continuation of his story.

Of course, Jungkook was well aware she wasn’t the type to neglect her conversation partner. If it’s not urgent, she never pays attention to her phone whenever they were together. So, he didn’t get offended or sad over what happened tonight. With pleasure, he continued the story until they reached her home.

Once again, his story got cut off. This time, not by the phone call but from the sight in front of him. He was too stunned to speak. His sudden silence made her confused. Curious, she followed the direction of his eyes. There, she saw Jaehyun standing while playing with his phone.

“Jaehyuna! What are you doing there?” as surprised as Jungkook, she walked faster to come over to him. Jaehyun looked at her and said he was waiting for her.

“Then you should wait inside.

“There is nobody in your home,”

“What?? What’s the point of knowing the passcode then?”

“Still, I thought it was unappropriated for coming to someone else home,”

“You are so stubborn. Haaah… Seriously… You just recovered from a cold. What if you got sick again?”

Those two seem to be busy with their own self which made them almost forget there was another person beside them. Jaehyun was the first one to realize and quickly greeted Jungkook who was still not moving from his place.

“Ah, right! Let’s go inside! Jimin said he went with Seokjin Oppa to buy chicken,” Chaeyoung invited both of them to come over.

“I am sorry. I should go home. My Dad is home so I couldn’t stay out for too long. Say hi to Jimin and Jin Hyung. Then, I’ll leave first. See you tomorrow,” Jungkook politely refused her invitation. His feet didn’t want to stay longer. So, after saying goodbye he quickly walked away.

***

“Huaaahhmm” Jungkook yawned after the morning class was over. It's time to take his daily dose of caffeine. He took his wallet and phone, and before he went out, he asked Sewoon, his buddy who always sit next to him, whether he wanted a cup of coffee. Sewoon refused and said he was still full of breakfast. Jungkook nodded and told him to call if he changed his mind.

“Need a booster?” someone asked Jungkook as soon as he stepped his foot out of the classroom. It felt like a Deja Vu. Jungkook turned his head and was surprised. Chaeyoung suddenly appeared before him out of nowhere. She even handed him a café latte with a double shot, one of his favorites. Didn’t give chance for Jungkook to recover from the shock, she continued the surprise by telling him to go to the café for lunch. There was something she had to discuss with him.

“Don’t be late, okay?” she smiled brightly then just like when she appeared, her disappearance also happened in the blink of an eye.

All of it happened so fast. Since he was also so sleepy, he couldn’t differentiate whether he was dreaming or not. Still confused, he got back to the class while sipping his café latte. Sewoon who was sitting next to him also got surprised.

“Aren’t you just got out a few minutes ago? How could you go back so fast?” Sewoon knew Jungkook’s schedule during the day. Jungkook always went out and back once the bell rang. It’s a strange phenomenon. There was no way he would miss his chance to not come to visit his crush's workplace.

“Oh, you are right. Don’t worry. It’s not only you. Even I, I don’t know what just happened too,” still not in his right mind, he was back in his seat and working on writing his note.

Last night, Jungkook couldn’t get a good sleep. What he witnessed last night was too shocking. The information he had was too hard to swallow. Why Jaehyun was in front of her home? Why did Jaehyun know her house’s passcode? Why did he run away after witnessing all of it? Why was he burnt in jealousy seeing how close they were?

As promised, Jungkook went to the café right after the bell rang. Chaeyoung already waited for him and even ordered their food. He took a seat and put down the Chemistry Practice Book on the table. Before he headed out, Sewoon asked him for a favor. There was a problem he couldn’t understand. Since he wasn’t a member of the café, he couldn’t get the chance to have a free 30-minute tutoring session with Chaeyoung. Jungkook didn’t want to grant his favor at first, but in the last minutes, he changed his mind. Truthfully, he still has yet to recover from a last night's shock. He thought it would be better if he kept himself busy. He was afraid he couldn’t control his mouth and demanded an explanation.

“As expected, you are the best,” said Jungkook proudly.

“Why did you state something that is so obvious? I am the number one tutor in this café,” she responded by showing the waiting list of the café’s members who want to get tutoring sessions.

It seems like she was in a good mood today. He thought it must be good timing to confess his sin.

“You have a great talent to be a teacher. Your explanation is simple and easy to understand.” He continued to praise her to increase her mood.

“Oh, really? Thank you for the compliment. Well, actually you don’t have to state the fact. I already know about it,” she said while acting like a cocky girl. It made him smile at her silly act.

“Yeah, no wonder I was struggling when you were absent. That made my rank dramatically fall,” took the opportunity, he mixed his sin confession with a little bit of joke.

Contrary to what he hoped to happen, her facial expression changed drastically as she heard it. She hold the glass of water and chugged it down. She seemed to try to control her feelings. It was shown by how she adjusted her breath. Jungkook could tell she might try really hard to suppress her emotion. Her hand still clenching on that empty glass. Just like Chaeyoung who was trying to control her emotions, Jungkook also silently build up a fortress to face that emotion.

“Look,” it seems like her emotional tune-in was complete. Her voice cracked and it was shaking.

“I am so happy that you find my teaching way is great. But it doesn’t mean you should depend solely on me. You know… I won’t always be there for you. If it happened, are you going to let your grade fall lower than this?” The look in her eyes gave the same vibe as her voice. There was no anger in it, just sadness and a bit of disappointed emotion.

What just happened truly brought him to surprise. He was certain 100% that she would scold him like she usually does. The threat beneath the sweet talk. The sharp knife words were covered by a cute smile. Sarcasm hid behind the innocent expression. The insult behind the self-blaming words.

But what was this? It’s even scarier than her usual way of showing her anger. It sounds more like frustration. Jungkook couldn’t bring himself to look at her any longer. He felt so guilty for making her feel that way. It was very suffocating cause none of them was trying to speak. Before it killed them, she stood up and left for the kitchen to take a glass of water.

While she was away, her phone which she left on the table kept ringing. Jungkook looked at the caller. It’s Jaehyun. Jungkook’s current mood was indescribable. Now, looking at his friend’s name on the phone of his crush phone made his mood even more abstract. But, one thing that he realized, it won’t do him any good if he stay here longer. He should manage his emotion if he didn’t want to do some silly things. Before Chaeyoung back to the table, he told Sewoon through text to call him five minutes from now. He had to get away in the smoothest way.

“Sorry to keep you waiting. Here, I brought you water,” she was back with two glasses of water.

“Thanks,” he replied and drink it.

They were falling into silence again. Since it will be awkward to look at her eyes, he focused his eyes on the things on the table. She was still holding on to the glass, but it didn’t as tight as before. His eyes then unconsciously looked at the pretty bracelet she was wearing. That bracelet looked familiar. He saw that bracelet before. One of his friends seems to have it. But, he forgot who was it.

“By the way about what I said earlier…,” she was fidgeting when she tried to bring up what just happened.

“It’s okay. I know it’s my fault. I am sorry for making you worry,” he cut it.

“Ah, right. No, I am just…,” she was a bit flustered by his composed response.

“I will try my best to not disappoint you. I am sorry. Anyway, about the thing you said you want to discuss. Can we talk about it now?”

“Ah, that. Sorry, but we should wait for Jaehyun to talk about it. He said he is on his way. Wait, let me check about his whereabouts,”

Jungkook couldn’t wait for another three minutes so he texted Sewoon while Chaeyoung was busy with her phone. He purposely put his phone not on silent mode and after texting and giving a missed call to Sewoon, he put his phone on the table. Finally, the long-awaited call was coming. Jungkook promised he will treat Sewoon after this.

“Hey. I am sorry, but I have to go back to school now,” after ending the phone call, Jungkook excuses himself to Chaeyoung.

“But… can you wait for some minutes. Jaehyun almost arrive,” she looked worried.

“I am afraid I can't. We have a test after lunch, and Sewoon needs his book,” Jungkook pointed at the book. Deep in his heart, he was glad he fulfilled Sewoon’s wish.

“Then… I guess it can’t be helped. We will discuss it later. Don’t worry I’ll tell Jaehyun about it,”

“Sounds great. Then, I will leave first. Tell Jaehyun I am sorry,”

“Nah, don’t worry about it,”

Without wasting any second, Jungkook went back straight to his cram school. When he arrived, Sewoon was still away for his lunch. Nobody was in the classroom except for him. Well, that’s great. Nobody would see his face right now. Thought about it again. These past few days he had been extremely happy, except for what happened to his grade. He knew. There wasn’t a free thing in this world. All these great things that happened to him were too good to be true. He should be suspicious about it. That happiness felt like the calm before the storm.

A headache suddenly hit him. He sat down and buried his face in his arms. He closed his eyes and tried to empty all the negative thoughts that flooded his head and his heart.