Catch You, The Rabbit in The Hole

Excuse Me?

The cloudy summer was gone. The sun seems so fresh after resting behind the cloud yesterday. It was so energetic so that it radiates more heat. Today felt like the real summer. Jimin was leaning on the bedroom eating grilled sausage while watching his sister who seriously looking at her reflection on the mirror.

“Just tied it up,” Jimin helped Chaeyoung to decide although she didn’t ask. He couldn’t wait longer for Chaeyoung to decide whether to tie her hair or not. He was about to get mad because she almost spent 5 minutes only to decide.

“Really? I look prettier with my hair up?” Chaeyoung held her hair with her hand then turned her hair to the left and right to check on her looks in the mirror.

“Nope. It’s more comfortable. Its summer you know,” Jimin’s answer made Chaeyoung stared at him with an annoyed face. Jimin who satisfied with her reaction was hiding his smile by chewing his grilled sausage.

Finally, Chaeyoung decided to tie her hair because it was less troublesome. It’s more comfortable and she could avoid the greasy summer hair. After she was done with her hair, she finished her preparation by applying lip balm to avoid dry lips. She took a few steps behind to see her reflection from head to toe. She then moved forward again to check on her make-up. Lastly, she asked Jimin about her appearance.

“Yeah, yeah, you look pretty. Hurry let’s go before you make your boyfriend wait for too long,” Jimin couldn’t wait for her to leave. He planned to play the online game on the PC Room today after he cleaned the house. He didn’t like it when Chaeyoung was around because she always complaining about the way Jimin work. The sooner she leaves, the longer he could finish her work and play.

“What boyfriend? So, you are the one who told Mom about that lie?” Chaeyoung remembered her conversation with her mom.

“It’s not a lie though. Look at you, you are going on a date, right?” Jimin defended himself.

“I am not going on a date. I just going to meet my friend,” Chaeyoung confidently answer. That’s true though. Jungkook wasn’t her boyfriend. They were just a friend.

“Don’t lie. You never look so hesitant with your looks before. You always confidently said I look good on everything I wear. You are a terrible liar, sis,” Jimin mocked his sister.

Chaeyoung was a bit surprised by Jimin’s words. She didn’t expect Jimin the observer type. She didn’t want to continue their bicker because she knew she will be the one who lost.

 

“Just think what you want to think. By the way, do you want something for dinner? I will buy it on my way home,” Chaeyoung decided to change the topic before Jimin exposed her more.

“Just buy anything. I am not a picky eater. Hurry up, sis. I have to clean the house,” Jimin intentionally told her to hurry and standing in the position where she could felt his presence because he knew she hates it.

Chaeyoung looked at the clock and panicked. She was walking passed Jimin towards the living before after took the socks from the closet’s drawer. She hurriedly wore her socks and shoes and then say goodbye to Jimin. She was in a rush so that she forgot to close the door. Jimin finished the last bite of the sausage but still not moving. He was munching his sausage while counted how many times he munched it. In the 15 counts, Chaeyoung opened the door. Jimin was satisfied with himself because what he predicted was true. She must be left something although he didn’t know what she left. Chaeyoung walked in without took off her shoes. Jimin scold her but she said it’s okay since he will mop the floor anyway. Jimin was speechless. She always scolds him if he didn’t take off his shoes but now she did it without feeling guilty. She used her privilege as an older sibling effectively.

“Do you want to go on a picnic?” Jimin was curious because Chaeyoung was taking the camera bag. It’s unusual for her to bring the camera except when she went to some big events.

“No. I have to give it back to Haechan. I borrow it for too long,” Chaeyoung replied while checking on the picture on the camera. After she was sure the memory card inside the camera wasn’t hers, she turned the camera off and put it back again on its bag. She slung the camera bag and once again say goodbye to Jimin then remind him to mop the floor sparkling clean. Jimin just chuckled but happily sent her off.

The bus was exceptionally full today. Although the weather was hotter than the other days, people seem so eager to spend their time outside their homes. Some of them might be wanted to save the electricity bills by using the café’s air conditioner and some might just want to hang out with their friends so that this hot day will go faster. Chaeyoung opened the bus window but it didn’t cool the heat down. She took her hand fan that she bought on the soccer match and began fanning herself. The ride seems so long because of the crowd and heat. She was getting anxious so she looked at the clock on her phone. Luckily she wasn’t late. Otherwise, she was way too early.

Hey. I know it’s too early, but, I already here,” Chaeyoung read the messages from Jungkook. She stopped fanning so that she can type the reply.

Wow, u r so early. I’ll be there soon. I’m otw,” Chaeyoung replied then put her phone on her jeans’ pocket because her destination was near. She stood up and getting ready to get off by standing near the exit door. She pressed the bell to tell the driver that she will get off at this station.

That’s strange, the weather felt so hot inside the bus, but as soon as Chaeyoung got off from the bus, she felt the air was so fresh and smell like exciting summer. She put back her hand fan on her mini backpack then walked towards the café. Not only the air that became cooler Chaeyoung’s steps also felt lighter. Her mood was really good today. She even tried so hard not to smile because she didn’t want people to look at her weirdly.

It didn’t require lots of time until Chaeyoung find the café. It’s one of her favorite café in this area. She used to meet up with her church friend there. People might not want to come there because their interior design wasn’t instagrammable. Somehow in this era, people of her age tend to come to a café for their interior, not only because of the foods. But, for Chaeyoung, just like what his brother said, it will turn everything less esthetic to become very esthetic. That’s why she was to find the café with good food. Chaeyoung was walking slowly once she reached the café. She looked at her reflection on the café door and after patted her head to give unnecessarily fixed on her hair, she pushed the door. She came inside and went straight to their favorite spots, the table on the corner, but she couldn’t find him. She walked back again and carefully looking at the table one by one. She thought he must be on the second floor, so she went up and screening it. She still couldn’t find him so she decided to call him.

“Oh, I am here. Where are you?” Chaeyoung asked while walking towards the empty table far on the corner.

“I am on the terrace,” Jungkook replied.

“Eeh?? Oh… Hemm… well… Can you move inside?” Chaeyoung so surprised because it’s so unusual for him. She was looking at the terrace from the place she was sitting on and got panic once she read the smoking area sign.

“Why? The scenery is nice here,” Jungkook seems to not want to move.

“Isn’t it too hot? I prefer the room with aircon. Besides, it’s too open,” Chaeyoung was trying to persuade Jungkook to move inside. She has a tobacco allergy so she couldn’t sit on the smoking area.

“It’s not too hot here. Besides, they also have the air cooler here,” Jungkook didn’t budge.

“But I…,” Chaeyoung was hesitating. She was afraid if she told Jungkook she had an allergy, it might remind Jungkook to that night when she almost lost her breath by his cigarette.

“You are why?” Jungkook sounds curious. Chaeyoung couldn’t find another reasonable reason so she decided to tell him the truth. It’s not like she was the only person in the world who had that allergy, so he probably won’t suspicious.

“To be frank, I have a tobacco allergy. I can’t get exposed to tobacco smoke. I am very sorry,” Chaeyoung confessed.

Jungkook who heard it then apologize to her. He said he didn’t know about it. He then asked about her table, he will move there. Not long after Chaeyoung told him her position, he was appearing while still holding his phone on his ear. He waved to her, end the phone call and took a seat. He apologized once again and Chaeyoung forgave him by saying it’s okay since he didn’t know. Jungkook was glad. He then offered Chaeyoung to order some foods. He raised his hand to ask the waitress to bring them the menu.

There were lots of desserts menu on this café. Jungkook found it so hard to decide which dessert he should choose. He didn’t want to get any more confused so he chose the cake that had the biggest picture on the first page. When its hard to choose what to eat, it’s recommended to choose the signature dish. Chaeyoung also finished choosing her food. She asked Jungkook about his choice and immediately checking on the description of the cake. She saw it a cinnamon cake, so she intentionally reading it out loud. Jungkook who heard cinnamon asked her to read it again afraid he was misheard it. Chaeyoung was laughing and teasing him for choosing his food randomly without knowing the food that he ordered. Luckily she could save him before it’s too late.

“Think about it again, how you know I hate cinnamon?” asked Jungkook after the waitress left.

“You told me before, remember?” Chaeyoung tried to remind Jungkook he was the one who told her.

“Isn’t that time you are the one who told me it contains cinnamon?” Jungkook made sure again.

“Ah, you are right. Well, my brother hates cinnamon too. That’s why it’s become a habit of me to check on the cake description and ask twice. Unexpectedly you also hate it,” without even stuttering, Chaeyoung recalled that memory.

Jungkook’s eyes were wandering trying to recall the memory that Chaeyoung mentioned. He slowly nodded his head as his brain finally found that piece of memory. He smiled and told Chaeyoung he finally remember it. Jungkook then said he was happy because he knew he wasn’t the one who hates cinnamon. Chaeyoung was laughing and started to mention some of her friends and family who also not a fan of cinnamon.

Their conversation was going on smoothly as if they were a long-time friend who finally met after a decade. Honestly, Chaeyoung was so nervous at first. She was excited and wanted to arrive as soon as possible when she was drop off of the bus. But, when she was walking towards the café, she started to become so worried. She didn’t know what they were supposed to do when they meet. Last time, whenever the ambiance getting awkward, she uses the learning material to escape it. But now, their session was over. They didn’t even have any specific activity as when they went to watch the movie. On her way to the café today, she was busy thinking about any possible topic to begin the conversation with him but as soon as she sat down in front of him, she forgot all of it. Luckily, Jungkook wasn’t as quiet and shy as she thought. His response wasn’t awkward and it led to another topic.

The waitress was coming to serve their orders. They instinctively moved away from the things that they put on the table to give space for the beverages and the cakes. After the waitress put down their orders, they say thank you and sipped their beverages as soon as the waitress left. When Jungkook was sipping his ice vanilla latte, the big square bag on the table in Chaeyoung’s side caught his attention. He asked Chaeyoung what was the thing inside the bag and Chaeyoung said it was a camera.

“Do you like photography?” he sounded so excited when he discovered it was a camera.

“Yes, I do. But, I am not good at it. I just love to take some pictures,” she was shy because he thought she was having an amazing talent in photography.

“Even if you say you are a photographer, I will still believe you. You look like someone that good at art. Perhaps, do you like painting or drawing too?” he complimented her and it made her smiling shyly.

“Oh, how do you know? Yeah, I do love it. Honestly, I am not confident in bragging about my drawing skills but yeah I think I have some talents,” Chaeyoung boasted her talent with the cute and shy voice. She wasn’t the type to brag about something she was good at, but drawing is exceptional. She was always excited whenever people talked about her artistic side especially her drawing.

“As expected. Don’t tell me, the rose pattern on the book you gave me also one of your drawings?” Jungkook asked excitedly.

“Oh My God! You noticed it? Woah, unbelievable! You are one of the few people who realized it was the real drawing. I am so touched,” Chaeyoung closed with her palm because of the surprise. She didn’t expect Jungkook recognized her drawing. Most of the people who saw it thought it was the book pattern. The fact that Jungkook noticed her drawing ensure her that Jungkook also had talent in drawing. She had been admiring his drawing by looking at his doodle on his exam paper, practice paper, and his notes.

Jungkook smiled when looking at her surprised expression. He then asked about the meaning behind the rose. She seemed to a fan of rose. Chaeyoung once again couldn’t hold her smile. Jungkook sure knew how to talk. The tone and speed of Chaeyoung voice increased because of her enthusiasm. She told him the reason why she often draws roses on her belongings. It’s because of her name. Jungkook was confused because he didn’t find anything related to a rose on her name. She was laughing and said it was her English name. Roseanne. Rosé, Rosie, Rose. She was intentionally drawn her rose to mark her belonging. The rose had a similar meaning to name. She was hoping that people will know it was hers even when she didn’t put her name on it. It was some kind of identity.

Looking at her explaining about her drawing with overflowing energy and enthusiast face was so interesting for Jungkook. Chaeyoung kept talking but slowly decreasing the speed and lowering her tone as she saw Jungkook just sitting still and stare at her. She got embarrassed.

“Am I talking too fast?” she asked to make sure Jungkook could keep up with her talking pace.

“No, it’s fine,” Jungkook answered with a mischievous smile.

“Hahaha… Sorry. I get carried away. I often talk like that whenever I talk about something that I like,” she felt so embarrassed that it made her scratching her neck and showed a polite-cat smile. She took a glance at Jungkook who still staring at her with his intense gaze. When their eyes met, she became awkward again. She drank her lychee ice tea to hide her awkwardness.

“It’s okay. Looking at you talking with such a high spirit is amusing. You look so cute when you become so hype,” Jungkook took his ice vanilla latte while still staring at Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung almost choked on her tea. Luckily, she could handle it although she spat some of it. She quickly grabbed the tissue and wiped her lips. Her heart was pounding so hard. She wanted to take a glance at Jungkook because she was curious about his expression when he said it. But, she didn’t have any courage to lift her eyes because she felt Jungkook was still staring at her.

The cake that was served some minutes ago wasn’t touched. Looking at the cake gave Chaeyoung an idea to neutralize her mind. She took the fork, sliced it and put the sliced cake on . The chocolate was melting on . The cake successfully stole Chaeyoung’s attention.

“Is that so delicious?” asked Jungkook who was curious about the cake because Chaeyoung was eating it deliciously.

“Emm! The chocolate is melting on your mouth. Wanna try?” Chaeyoung was putting her palm against when she was talking, afraid the chocolate was sticking on her front teeth.

Jungkook took his fork and sliced Chaeyoung’s cake. It was unexpected. Originally, Chaeyoung just being polite by offering him, she didn’t expect him to slice the cake. She was looking at Jungkook suspiciously. She knew his real personalities were witty, easy-going and talk-active. But, it was when he was hanging out with his close friend. His behavior today was kind of off. He looked overly friendly and…. Flirty?

“Oh, you are right. It’s tasty,” the satisfied look was shown on his face. Now, they continued eating their cake. Chaeyoung almost ate half of her cake but suddenly she felt uncomfortable. They were too busy to eat so that no one was taking the initiative to start a conversation. She wanted to start it, but she can’t.

Finally, Chaeyoung reached her limit. She can’t handle this silent ambiance again. She should say something. She looked at Jungkook who still staring at her but this time, she had another point of view. It’s not like Jungkook was mesmerized by her look, maybe he just wanted to eat her cake!

“Do you want more?” Chaeyoung decided to believe her latest opinion and offering Jungkook her cake.

“No. You can eat it. Hahaha… Sorry, am I looking like I want to eat your cake?” Jungkook was laughing when he heard Chaeyoung’s offer.

“Ahaha… No, it just, you keep looking at it. At the cake. So that I thought you want it again,” Chaeyoung didn’t want him to think that she was thought he was staring at her.

“I am not looking at the cake. I am looking at you,” hearing Jungkook’s answer made Chaeyoung’s eyes got bigger. She couldn’t believe what she heard. Her heart was racing like she was chased by wild boar.

“Wa… why?? Is there something on my face?? Or… perhaps… don’t tell me!!! Oh My God!!!” Chaeyoung quickly closed with her left hand and her other hand was taking her phone and open the front camera. She was showing her teeth and carefully looking at her face on the phone screen. She was afraid she got chocolate on her teeth that made Jungkook kept looking at her. She was nagging herself for choosing the chocolate lava. It’s a bad choice for eating with a boy.

“Pfft…,” Jungkook who saw her reaction was trying hard to not laugh.

After made sure her teeth were sparkling clean, she put her phone down and looked suspiciously at Jungkook who showed a straight expression. The crisis was gone but now the follow-up anxiety was coming. What was his real reason for staring at her… Maybe… he was….

“I am wondering. Whether you are sick,” reading Chaeyoung’s expression which seemed to demand an answer, Jungkook revealed the reason even before she was asking.

“Euungg?? Why?” his statement didn’t make Chaeyoung understand yet made her more confused.

“Your face is so red. So, I wonder whether you have a fever,” this time, the answer made Chaeyoung instinctively cupped her face with her hands. Her face indeed warmer than usual, thanks to Jungkook who kept staring at her. How could her face not get redder if she got stared with those eyes? Chaeyoung was nagging him inside her head but not dare to say it. She somehow thought that he knew all along that his words and flirty action were the cause of her red face but he was pretending not to know.

“No. I am not sick. I am perfectly healthy. Maybe I applied too much blush on. Plus, the heat makes it even redder. I think I should fix my make-up. I am afraid people might think I am sick. Hehehe…,

Chaeyoung was showing off her acting skill. She tried her best to not look panic and took her make-up pouch then walking towards the bathroom.

Once she arrived in the bathroom she let out a big sigh. She held her face and staring at the mirror. People kept saying and envy her tomato face because it was cute. No, not at all. It’s not cute. Especially when you were having a date with someone you adore. She was looking at her reflection while wiped her blush on with cotton. Her head was now full of nags. She nags and blames her face for being easily got red. She was also blaming Jungkook who made her embarrassed. Why should he directly tell her about her red face? Can’t he pretend not to know? Geez… She ever heard boys like to play with women's hearts, especially when they know if they like them. He was no different.

The pinkish powder was not seen again on her cheeks. Before she left, she fixed her hair and after all, looked perfect she stepped out of the bathroom. When she arrived, Jungkook was seen holding Haechan’s camera. Her arrival made Jungkook moved his eyes from the camera to Chaeyoung while smiling. He put down the camera, opened its bag and put it onto it. He said the camera was good and he might want to buy one like that. Lately, he was interested in taking a picture. Chaeyoung said that the camera was the latest model and it really good especially for a beginner. Jungkook took that advice and said he will note it.

“By the way, does the result out yet?” Chaeyoung opened the new conversation.

“No, not yet,” Jungkook replied with a bitter smile while playing with his phone.

“You look tired and lacking sleep. Are you anxious about the result that made you can’t sleep?” Chaeyoung was getting her revenge about the red face. Now, she was commenting about Jungkook’s dark eye circles.

“Yeah, I can’t sleep last night. Hey, can I borrow your phone?” Jungkook suddenly changed the topic. Chaeyoung had no idea why he suddenly asked to borrow her phone. It won’t be polite if she refused but she wasn’t comfortable to lend someone her phone. Her phone had lots of secrets.

“My phone is dead. I need to browse the result because they post it on our school portal,” it seemed like Jungkook could understand Chaeyoung’s hesitancy so that he explain why he needed to borrow her phone.

Chaeyoung who finally understand gave her phone to him. While he was using her phone, she was continuing to eating her remaining cake while sometimes checked on his expression. Same as Jungkook, she also got curious about the result. Jungkook was suddenly giggling and laughing while looking at the phone screen. Chaeyoung who saw it stopped eating and focused on Jungkook. Jungkook turned off the screen and gave it back to Chaeyoung who still staring at him with a curious face. Instead of telling Chaeyoung the result, he took his fork and sliced his cake. He made it looked like he purposely did that to tease Chaeyoung who was dying in curiosity.

Jungkook still enjoying his cake and Chaeyoung didn’t dare to interrupt. She waited patiently for Jungkook to be ready to talk. She was afraid the result wasn’t good so she let him take his time to prepare himself. She was slicing her cake into smaller pieces but she didn’t eat it. She was curious until made her lose her appetite. She shook her foot and biting her lips to endure this torture.

“Hey Chaeyoung,” finally Jungkook opened his mouth. Chaeyoung raised her head and looking at Jungkook. Their eyes met but then Jungkook looked away and fixed his gaze to his cake.

“You, do you like me that much?” Jungkook was still looking at his cake while asking.

Hearing the out-of-nowhere question made Chaeyoung was caught off guard. She didn’t know how to react to that random and unexpected question. Since Chaeyoung didn’t respond to his question, Jungkook was raising his head and this time he gave an intense gaze to Chaeyoung.

“Does my question surprise you? Pfft. That’s understandable,” Jungkook was scoffing and not let his eyes off of Chaeyoung.

“Ah, that’s…. I… have no idea why you suddenly talking about this,” Chaeyoung could sense there was something on his sleeve. Somehow the ambiance was getting tense.

“It might sound random but, I am serious. I just wondering, do you really like me that much so that you even lie to me?” Jungkook took his ice vanilla latte sipped it calmly.

“Lie?” Chaeyoung’s eyes started to shake. All the bad thought was rushing over to her brain. Which lie? What was he trying to reveal? Why all of sudden? What did he saw on my phone?

“Oh. A lie,” Jungkook ensured what Chaeyoung’s heard was not a mistake.

“Haha… You look so surprised. Maybe you are busy thinking which lies? Does he mean these lies or those lies? Which one?” Jungkook still muttered questions that made Chaeyoung couldn’t say a single word.

“You seem confused. Then, should I remind you about your lies? Hemm… I don’t know where to start. Maybe, can we start with the recent one? Do you remember when we went to watch a movie? You were choked on the takoyaki. At that time you said whenever you were with me you seem to face nearly death accident. I was so confused at first, but then I remember you almost lost your breath because of my cigarette.

“The facts were contrary to your statement yesterday. I was curious about why I never met you even when I often go to your neighborhood. You said because we didn’t know each other. Well, that’s true. I don’t know you. But, you know me. That night, was so dark. I don’t recognize your face, but you remember and you knew it was me. If we never met, then it was impossible for you to knew the one who smoke was me,”

“Hmm… what else? Ah, this one is too obvious. Remember the letter you gave to me along with the book? You wrote the reason you gave the book because you don’t have money to buy an expensive gift. Honestly, when I first read it, I believed it. But then, I realized it just a part of your sequence lie. When I met you in person, I could tell right away that words are clearly a lie. From head to toe, you were wearing only branded goods. You also said you tried almost all the popular restaurants. Today also, you just showed me your own the latest model of this camera. Who the hell in the world would owning all those things if they don’t have money?” Jungkook pauses his report because the warning sound notice from his phone was heard. He was looking for a charger on his bag and casually plug in his phone and checked whether the electricity pocket was functioned well.

While Jungkook was casually doing his things, Chaeyoung was in the middle of the crisis. When Jungkook was talking, she quietly put down her hands under the table. She was trembling. She remembered the first time Jungkook encountered her. They were in the same situation, talking in the café, face to face. That time, Jungkook looked so angry he also raised his voice when he talked. But, it didn’t make her as scared as today. Jungkook was talking in a casual, relaxed, and calm voice but somehow it made him scarier.

“I just get a message from an unknown number. She said she wants to know me. I still received this kind of message. Honestly, I already used this. They call me, text me, give a gift; confess their love, even though I don’t know who they are. At first, I thought you are also one of them. But, turns out I was wrong. You play on a completely different level. Not only you were lying, but you also stalk me, right?” there was no change in the Jungkook’s voice, but the latter word pierces through Chaeyoung’s heart like a sword. Chaeyoung was gulping. She held her hands together as it got cold. Not only her hand, but her feet also got cold. She was breathing in a faster beat. Her eyes were shaking and her head was spinning. It felt like thousands of influenza viruses suddenly colonized her body.

“Your lies aren’t the worst thing that you ever did. I can bear it when you were just lying. But stalking? Hah, really. It’s just too much. Even talking about it gives me a chill on my spine,”

“Following me to my home, to the mart, to my meeting place, eavesdropping my conversation with my senior, send me sticky notes, took my pictures in secret and … the most amazing thing is you even working in the café using a fake identity. I didn’t expect you would go that far,”

“Ah, there was a thing that I think you did incredibly well. I didn’t expect it was all your deed. Nayeon… I didn’t know you are the one who made Nayeon cheer on my match! That was so amazing. You are indeed so detailed. As expected having a smart brain is such an advantage,”

“Listing all the things you’ve done makes me can’t stop wonder, what is your actual goal? Do you want to gain my attention by using your notebook, impressed me with the information you’ve collected, such as what I like and what I dislike, well… that cinnamon cake for example. Then, after I finally noticed you, you gonna make a move, make me fall in love with you, then we end updating? Is that your true goal?” although Chaeyoung didn’t saw on Jungkook’s expression, she could feel he was intensely staring with such deadly eyes.

Once again, Jungkook was pausing. He seemed to wait for Chaeyoung’s answer. He finished all his cake and also drank all his drinks. He leaned on his chair, folded his arm and took a deep breath. For the first time since he bombarded Chaeyoung with the facts, he was looking at his surroundings. This café was so cozy. Not many people come, she had good taste. He put his attention back to Chaeyoung again after he thought he gave her enough time to think.

“Why you don’t say a word? It’s less than 10 minutes ago you talk in high spirit and full of enthusiasm. But now, you can’t even mutter a single alphabet. Did what I say is 100% accurate so you don’t have a word to deny it?” Jungkook fished her again so she would talk. But, Chaeyoung was not in the condition where she could talk. She lost all of her energy. Even to maintain her consciousness was hard for her.

“You don’t look good. Your face was all red before, but now it’s pale. Do you want something warm?” Jungkook asked Chaeyoung but still no answer. He raised his hand and called for the waitress. He asked the waitress about the beverage that had a calming effect. The waitress suggested a chamomile tea so without further thought, Jungkook ordered it. When the waitress was gone, they both continued sitting in silence.

“So, still no answer. Well, since you aren’t saying anything, I will take your silence as a yes,” finally Jungkook broke the silence. He looked at his phone which still being charged. It still 10% charged. He then opened his bag and took out a book. He was holding the book and looking at it until the waitress came and serve the tea. Jungkook put the book back to his bag and told Chaeyoung to drink the tea.

Chaeyoung heard it but only staring at the teapot. She had no strength to lift the pot. She was afraid she will spill the hot water and end up hurting herself. Chaeyoung still looked down on her hand. She didn’t know what kind of expression Jungkook had right now. But, one thing for sure, Jungkook was really mad. All the facts that were out from his mouth were the truth. He was right, she can’t say anything because all of it was true. She did all of those things. But, she didn’t mean to stalk him. Some of it was intentional, but some were not. Her guiltiness made her back out. She wanted to explain but she knew she had no right to defend herself. She knew all along what she did was wrong.

The sound of water being poured was bringing back Chaeyoung’s soul and mind back to her body. She saw her cup now filled with warm tea. The guilty feeling now grew bigger. Chaeyoung hates this feeling. The feeling when someone got disappointed by her. The disappointment was scarier than anger. She still can handle when someone got angry, she will gladly apologize first although she wasn’t at fault. But, when someone got disappointed, she was helpless. In her principle, when someone was angry, it means she still had a chance to fix her mistake, but once they disappointed there was no room to turn it back. Disappointment and disbelief were the highest forms of anger. She was scared.

She knew Jungkook wasn’t angry anymore. She could tell by the way Jungkook treats her. Unlike when people got angry, people who got disappointed tend to treat others with excessive kindness. That’s what Jungkook did to her now.

“I am sorry if I make you shock. You must not expect to hear all the facts from me today, right?” after poured her the tea, Jungkook leaned his back on the chair again.

“You must be wondering since when I know about this? To tell you the truth, I know it since the first time I encountered you. But, at that time, I was uncertain. I don’t want to accuse you without solid proof. People said keep your friend close and your enemy closer. That’s why I asked you to be my tutor. In short, I am using your smart brain to achieve goals. Escaping the hell of additional class and collecting proof were my intention,” Jungkook’s voice now sounds different from before. His voice got softer and slower.

Hearing that confession made Chaeyoung’s brain and heart was in chaos. Did she hear it right? So, Jungkook already knew since the beginning? So, he just acted? All the things that happened were just a scenario? She suddenly felt so pathetic and dumb. Those were the most shocking fact she heard today. Her heart now beats slower. She was too shocked. She had no pride and face to save. But, deep into her heart, she still wishes if what Jungkook said was not true.

In order to prove her little wish, she instinctively lifted her head and locked her eyes with Jungkook. She looked at him with a sad, shocked and scared expression mixed together. She can’t speak but her eyes seemed able to say all the things that she wanted to say. Unlike before, this time Jungkook was the one who cut their eye contact first.

“So, you still won’t tell me about your goal?” Jungkook asked her the same question again. He waited for some minutes but still no answer. He finally decided to give up.

“Still no answer, huh? Well, I expect it. Then, since I have no goal to achieve anymore let’s end this stage. Ah, right! I remember that I told you I want to return something. Here I give it back. I know looking at someone’s belonging without permission is rude, but I can’t help it,” he grabbed his bag that he put below the table, took out a book and put it on the table.

“Do you know? You are pretty, smart, rich, talented, kind-hearted. You possessed all the good things that girls desperately want to have. I bet that the good side of you is what people see. Do you perhaps ever think about why you are fighting with your friends? Do you ever think they already know about your lie? Nah, I bet you never think about that possibility, right?” Jungkook unplugs his phone and the charger from the electric socket. He rolled it then put it on his bag. He was ready to left.

“I am fully aware of what I did to you weren’t right either. I apologize for it. And… I still owed you gratitude for made me passed the biology test. I… don’t want anything from you. I need neither your confession nor apology. I just want you to stop it. Stalking, manipulating, lying... You… no, your behavior is… disgusting. So please stop. Stop doing those disgusting things,” as soon as he finished his last sentence, he snatched his bag, stood up then walked quickly towards the stairs. In just a minute, he wasn’t seen around the café.

Chaeyoung who was left in shock couldn’t hold herself anymore. She stood up from the chair and with trembling legs, she walked towards the bathroom. Her right hand was sticking to the wall to support her body, and the other hand was on , to hold the liquid that about to go out. She successfully reached the bathroom without vomiting. She came into one of the toilet stalls, squatted down and threw up. All the cake and drinks that were on her stomach was out. With remaining energy left, she closed the door and locked it. She didn’t want people to saw her vomiting because it was too embarrassing. Finally, after emptied her stomach, she sat down on the bathroom floor. She had no energy left. She sat there for quite sometimes until her energy got recharged. She flushed the toilet bowl then pulled some tissue to wipe . She sat up, closed the toilet lid, and sat on it. She finally got out of the stall once she heard some voice from other customers. She was afraid they want to use the bathroom so she got out and walked back to her table.

“Chaengi Noona!” someone called Chaeyoung and it made her looked around the café. A tanned skin boy with cute bunny teeth was smiling and waving at her. She waved back and walked towards him.

“When have you arrived? Are we supposed to meet at 4? It’s not even 3,” Chaeyoung putting on a bright smile to hide her pale face. Haechan said he had a prior meeting with his friend at 3 in this café. When he arrived, he saw a camera bag that similar to his so he sat down on this table. Chaeyoung quickly apologized for leaving the camera carelessly. Lucky for her it wasn’t stolen. Haechan was laughing and said he might be angry if she only left the camera, not her belongings. Chaeyoung just smiling and apologize for her clumsiness.

“Sorry I just returned it now. Thank you very much. I take lots of good pictures with it,”

“No, I should be sorry. I suddenly asked and made you come all the way here only to return it. My club is so random. The senior said it is the characteristic of the media team. I should always be ready, whenever wherever. I think I just choose the bad club,” Haechan sounded annoyed but his face didn’t say so. He actually loved that kind of randomness. Chaeyoung smiled and glad that Haechan was finally able to find peace in school. Moreover, he could enjoy his hobby and able to play with his schoolmates. It’s a good decision he moved to another school.

Chaeyoung had a little chit chat with Haechan while waiting for Haechan’s friends to come. She suddenly realized Haechan had not ordered something. She called the waitress to ask for the menu. She told Haechan to order whatever he wants. It’s her treat. She wanted to thank him for lending his camera. She also said to call his friends and asked what they want. She will treat them too. Haechan accepted the offer and happily called his friends.

“My friends said they are around the corner. They will arrive in a minute,” Haechan reported to Chaeyoung after ordering for his friends.

“That’s good. Anyway, I think I gotta go. I don’t want to disturb your meeting,” Chaeyoung excused herself while packing her belonging.

“Want me to you to the bus station? You look unwell,”

“Hahaha… You don’t have to. I am perfectly healthy.

“But, you look so pale,”

“I just didn’t wear my blush on today. That’s why I look pale. Nah, I think your friends finally arrived. It suddenly gets so noisy downstairs. Have fun with your friends!” Chaeyoung grabbed her bag then left.

***

The cold white-colored liquid was flowing through the ice cream cone then to the white chubby hand. The owner of the hand didn’t realize the ice cream was melting down because he was too immersed in the TV screen.

“Oh !” Jimin was swearing and shut his eyes tightly as the long-haired ghost was crawling down from the stairs shown on the TV screen. He then opened his eyes little by little once he thought the ghost disappeared. It seems like the ghost was gone so he could open his eyes normally again. Now, he was swearing again not because of the ghost but because of the ice cream. He his hand and quickly the cream that in no minutes will melt down into the vanilla-flavored liquid.

Watching a horror movie was too much for the boy so he decided to go to his bedroom after finishing the ice cream. He ate the last bite of the crunchy cone then washed his hand. He climbed the bunk bed stairs enough to see where he put his phone, took the phone and climbed down. He read the unread messages. He touched the first one on the list. The message was from Jisoo, she told him that tomorrow Naeun will be discharged from hospital. She asked him to relay this message since it was not delivered to Chaeyoung. The boy walked outside the bedroom towards the living room where Chaeyoung was.

Jimin called his sister but she didn’t respond. She was too focused on the movie. He called again but still no answer. He got annoyed so he decided to stand in front of the TV then call her again. It’s weird. She kept staring at the TV although it was blocked by his body. Since his plan didn’t work, he tried another act which he sure it’s 100% successful. He walked closer to her then clap his hand in front of her eyes. He showed a victory smile but then he scolded his sister for being ignorant. His sister just listened to his nagging without respond. Jimin gave up and told her straight away about the message. She just nodded and thanked him. She then told him to move away so she could continue to watch the movie.

Something was not right. That’s what Jimin thought when he saw Chaeyoung’s behavior ever since she came back from meeting her friend. He didn’t know what to do so he decided to ask for some help.

“Hyung, it’s bad. I think Noona was dumped by her crush” Jimin sent it to Jin, seeking for help.

How do you know? Does she cry?” Jin replied.

No. But she is acting strangely. She is watching a horror movie non-stop. What’s weirder is she doesn’t watch it instead she just staring at it blankly. No thought, head empty. I am afraid she will get possessed” Jimin sounds like he was kidding but he actually afraid his sister will get possessed by the ghost since she looked so lost.

Let her alone so that she can cry. You sleep in my home tonight. Tell her, you want to play a game” Jimin didn’t think about that. Maybe because he still young and not experienced with this kind of situation, he had no idea if she needs some time alone. He still worried about living her alone, but he trusted Jin.

Jimin followed Jin’s advice. He went to his bedroom and collecting the things he needed for the sleepover. But in the end, he only brought his phone and phone charger. He put on his slipper and told Chaeyoung he was about to go. No response. He took a deep breath, put off his slipper and came closer to her. He touched her shoulder and it made her turn her head. Jimin felt sad when he saw her blank expression. He told her that he was going to sleep in Jin’s place. Chaeyoung once again just nodded then back to watch TV.

“Don’t go,” said Chaeyoung as she heard Jimin opened the door. Jimin held his foot before it stepped outside.

“I am not bothering him. He was the one who invites me,” Jimin thought Chaeyoung might felt bad for Jin because Jimin will disturb his study.

“I am scared. I don’t’ want to sleep alone. You know, I hate horror movies. It’s too scary,” Chaeyoung asked Jimin to not leave the house.

Then don’t watch it in the first place. Jimin was annoyed but he remembered Chaeyoung might be sad and heartbroken right now. He gave up. He closed the door, took his slipper off and back to his bedroom. He lied down on his bed and texted Jin. Jin said if she felt better when she got accompanied, then let her be. But still, it’s even better if she was able to cry it out. Jin just told him to pretend not to hear anything if she suddenly burst out crying. Jimin put everything Jin told him to do carefully on his mind.

It’s past dinner time. Jimin got up from his bed. He was so hungry. At first, he was waiting for Chaeyoung to call him but it seems like she didn’t feel hungry even until tomorrow. Jimin climbed down from his bed then heard someone was ringing the bell. His eyes disappeared as he was smiling widely. He was running towards the door and greeted Jin with the happiest face. He helped Jin bring his grocery bags then put it in the kitchen. Jimin didn’t know whether it was intentional or not, but the way Jin’s talk somehow sounds like he was trying his best to lift the mood up. He was talking in a higher pitch today. Jimin joined Jin and talking excitedly to whatever topics Jin was bringing.

“Roseanne, don’t just sit in there. Help me prepare for dinner,” Jin ordered Chaeyoung who still sitting on the couch. Without a word, she got up and walked towards the kitchen. Jimin’s job was washing the vegetable since he can’t cook while Chaeyoung was chopping the vegetable and do everything Jin told her to do. Dinner preparation was finished. They only need to wait for the soup to get done. Jimin and Jin set up the table while Chaeyoung was washing the dishes they use to cook.

“Oh, I almost forget. Rose, please cut the onion. I am kinda craving onion ring. I am gonna make the mixture. Jimin, you did the rest,” Jin back to the kitchen then mixed some types of flours. Jimin was laughing at Jin randomness. Onion ring? Since when he loves onion ring? Jimin was laughing softly but then he discovered something amazing. He was quickly looking at Jin who was busy weighing the flour to make the right ratio. He called him and as their eyes met, they both smiling.

The sniffing sound was heard. Jimin and Jin were giggling softly after their plan was successful. The soup finally cooked and Jimin helped Jin to put it on the dining table. Jin still busy cooking the onion ring and finally the last piece of onion was plunged onto the hot cooking oil. Jimin already finished pouring the soup onto three small bowls and prepare the rice for each of them. Chaeyoung washed her hands after finished cutting all the onion. She dried her hands with a towel then walking towards the bathroom. Jin and Jimin were staring at each other. Jimin looked so worried but Jin said to keep going with their acting. Chaeyoung finally back and brought some tissues on her hands. She used it to wipe her tears that still flowing down her cheeks. Even after she finished her job with the onion, she was still crying. Jin because of it and it made Jimin’s eyes got widen. He was surprised because Jin didn’t go as the plan. But then, he understands, if Jin kept on silent, it will be strange since he was always teasing her. He changed his decision and joined forces with Jin to .

“So, how many weeks your holiday left?” Jin asked both of his cousins after slurping on the radish soup.

“I still have 3 weeks and Noona has 2 weeks left,” Jimin replied on behalf of him and Chaeyoung.

“You still have enough time. Just go!” Jin was munching on the crunchy radish.

“Going where?” asked Jimin.

“Jeju. I know your grandparents gave you money to fly to Jeju. Well, don’t ask me where I got that information because grandpa also told me to come. He said he will pay for the airplane ticket,”

“Oh, we received the money too,” Chaeyoung finally spoke.

“Then, just go! Don’t worry about money. Our grandpa is rich,” Jin persuade Chaeyoung to go on vacation. He was worried about his little cousin. She must be faced with lots of hardships. A short vacation could help her to release her stress.

Jin could tell Chaeyoung was hesitating. He knew she was stubborn. It’s not easy to persuade her. Jin put his chopstick down but he raised it again as he saw Jimin was about to take the last piece of fishcake. He put his chopsticks on top of Jimin’s and it made Jimin looked at him with a questionable face. Even without speaking, Jimin admitted his defeat and let Jin took the fish cake. Jin was smiling because he won this unimportant game. He took it then put it on Chaeyoung’s bowl and told her to eat it. Chaeyoung who witness the game was smiling after looking at Jimin’s sad face. She pretended to eat it but then she divided it into two pieces. She shared one of it to Jimin and it made him looked happy.

“Chim, don’t you say you really want to go on vacation? Your friends are all going with their family and you don’t have any friend left,” this time, Jin changed his strategy to how to persuade Chaeyoung to go. The fish cake war made him realize that Jimin was Chaeyoung’s weakness. She could do anything to please her little brother. She was an obedient and filial daughter. But one time she did something without her parents’ permission was working part-time secretly. Even when Jin’s against that idea, she was insisting to work in order to buy Jimin a pair of shoes.

Jimin who was surprised because Jin used him as a sacrificed lamb almost choked. He was ready to deny Jin’s statement but hold it because Jin kicked his foot. Jimin had no idea why Jin said it, but he believed in him.

“Hahaha…,” that was the only word that came to Jimin’s brain. He didn’t know what to say. He was afraid if he admitting what Jin’s said, Chaeyoung will send him to Jeju alone. Jin who heard Jimin’s bad answer was giving up. Like brother like a sister. They were each other’s weaknesses. Jin could read what was going on in Jimin’s mind so he couldn’t say anything.

The three of them continued dinner in silence. After they all finished, no one took the initiative to bring all the dishes to the kitchen sink. Jimin was observing his older sister and brother and no one had the willingness to move. He could sense he would end up doing that job. In the middle of speculating, Jimin suddenly going through what just happened to Jin earlier. He got an idea about how to persuade Chaeyoung.

“Noona, let’s go to Jeju. If you worry about money, I think you don’t have to. We can work on grandpas’ restaurant and earn money. Right, Hyung?” Jimin was proud of himself because he just giving birth to a super brilliant idea.

“Of course! There are lots of people who spend their vacation on Jeju. That means the restaurant will get crowded. Besides, the part-timer might take leave because they also want to travel. You guys will help them run their business. It could save money too!” Jin once again kicked Jimin’s foot and this time, Jimin kick it back. They were hi-fiving using their feet while hiding their smile.

Chaeyoung laughing and said she never said she won’t go. Jimin knew it. She said it yesterday. But Jimin sure this time, she will really go. Chaeyoung stood up and stacking the plate and bowl they used. Jimin was smiling in joy because he didn’t have to wash the dishes. While Chaeyoung was busy washing the dishes, Jimin was playing with his phone and Jin was peeling the mangoes he bought at the supermarket today. Jimin suddenly put his phone down and looked at Chaeyoung. He looked hesitant that made Jin curious. Jimin told Jin that tomorrow their voluntary group will have singing practice. Chaeyoung’s phone was turned off so she couldn’t be reached. Jin told Jimin to tell the singing club Chaeyoung was sick.

It was not a good thing to decide on behalf of someone else. But, turning off the phone means she didn’t want to get bothered. She wanted to get away from the world. Jin knew it since he experienced it before. Although it seemed inappropriate, he ensured himself that once she turned her phone on, she will know about it. Whether she was going or not, it will become her decision

All this time, Jin never imagines he will take the role of an older brother. He was the youngest in his family, but now he became the oldest. Older brother only the title he had because of his age. But, right at this time, he realized that he already became the real older brother. How he should lead, protect, gave advice, and became a place to answer all their worries. It’s troublesome at first, but now he was being grateful. He might not be as wise as he was today if not because of them.

“Hyung, why are you smiling?” Jimin asked Jin who was smiling while peeling a mango.

“What? No nothing,” he replied while cutting the mango into smaller pieces. He called Chaeyoung to eat the mango before Jimin eats them all. Chaeyoung washed her hands then immediately sat beside Jimin. She stabbed the fat mango with the fork and ate it happily. Jin was smiling. Somehow he was envy with their bond. The hardship they faced producing the tight bond between them. Those two kids might be going through a lot. He should be grateful for what he had. That’s why he should try harder to protect the smile on their faces.

***

“Naeun, say thank you to unnie and oppa,” said the middle-aged woman who was standing in front of the car door. The little girl called Naeun bowed to Chaeyoung and Jaehyun. She then came closer to Jaehyun and hugged him.

“Woah, now you have handsome oppa and totally forget about me,” Chaeyoung looked jealous because of Naeun’s different treatment. Naeun was smirking then running towards her mom and waved goodbye. They were all laughing and waved goodbye to each other.

“So, she was coming back to her home,” said Jaehyun while still waving at the car.

“Of course. Do you think she lived in the hospital? She only there for therapy,” Chaeyoung was smiling replying to his question.

The car was now gone from their sight. They were walking towards the bus station near the hospital together. They seemed recreated the scene that night, but this time it’s afternoon and not raining. While they were walking, Jaehyun was reaching his bag and took out something from it. He gave the umbrella to Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung took it and said she almost forgot about the umbrella. Jaehyun also said so but when they were walking towards the station, he remembered it.

“Oh, the bus is here. Let’s go,” said Jaehyun while stood up from the bench after seeing the bus was coming.

“But, I am not taking that bus,” said Chaeyoung while looking carefully at the bus number.

“I googled it and found that that bus’ route is the nearest to the studio,” Jaehyun sounded anxious. He was afraid he got it wrong.

“Studio? What studio?” Chaeyoung didn’t have any idea about the thing that Jaehyun mentioned.

“For singing practice. Joshua Hyung messaged me to come because I am a new member. Don’t you know about the practice?” Jaehyun took his phone and looking for his conversation with Joshua.

“Aaah!! Sorry, sorry, I totally forget about it. You are right. That’s the bus. Come on!” although she didn’t know about that, she pretended to remember it right when the bus stopped at the station. They both then ride on the bus.

During their ride to the studio, Jaehyun was asking lots of questions regarding the practice. Since he was a new member, he didn’t know what to do. He suddenly felt panicked and nervous because he suddenly got reminder messages from Joshua this morning. This time, Joshua used audition not practice and that made him panicked. He didn’t prepare anything and it made him more nervous. Chaeyoung felt bad for Jaehyun because she knew Joshua and the rest of the members just prank him. She knew about the prank but she was pretending not to know so she diligently replying to his question and endlessly encourage him to not get nervous.

They were finally arrived at the studio and greeted by Joshua. Joshua told Jaehyun to stand in the middle of the studio and introduced himself to the members. Jaehyun did as he said. After the introduction, Jennie, the manager of the singing club asked Jaehyun to show a performance. She said they can’t accept anyone to join. They should pass the audition first. Jaehyun was nervous. He really didn’t prepare anything because Chaeyoung didn’t tell him about this when she asked him to join.

“Emm… Josh, can I say something?” Chaeyoung raised her hand and asked Joshua for his permission. Joshua nodded. Chaeyoung asked the members to give Jaehyun some time to practice his performance. The rest were agreed and gave him 15 minutes. Chaeyoung thanked them and told Jaehyun to followed her. They both go outside and practice on the back of the studio building.

“You still have 5 minutes; want to do the last practice?” Chaeyoung looked at the timer right when Jaehyun was back from the restroom. Jaehyun agreed and sang for the last time before he entered the audition room.

“You did well. Don’t be nervous. We can come in whenever you are ready,” Chaeyoung encouraged Jaehyun after he finished singing. Jaehyun nodded and said he will do it now. It’s better to finish it as soon as possible. He hates this nervous feeling. Chaeyoung agreed so they were walked inside the building.

Stood up in front of the studio door, Chaeyoung and Jaehyun were set up their breathing rhythm. Jaehyun suddenly shook his hands and did a little jump to get rid of the nervousness. Chaeyoung looked at Jaehyun and smiled. Once again she encouraged Jaehyun to not be nervous. Just do as he practiced. Jaehyun was smiling and being grateful for her support. Chaeyoung entered the studio and took a place on the back of the judge while Jaehyun walked to the center of the stage.

Undoubtedly, Jaehyun ended his performance very well. Everyone in the studio was impressed. This guy could become an idol. Visual, singing ability, body proportion, manners, he got them all. The audience gave them a big round of applause. Joshua announced he got accepted as soon as he finished. Jennie also revealed that the audition was just a prank. Jaehyun was relieved. He was afraid he wasn’t good enough to join them. All of them were laughing. They said they weren’t an agency. They didn’t judge their ability. Even if they didn’t have a good voice, they still accepted them. Even if they weren’t good enough to perform, they can help them with other things. But, if they want to learn how to singing, they will get free coaching from the members.

It’s break time. Jaehyun was looking around the studio. During the practice, he was staying with Haechan and Joshua because they were on the same team. He saw Chaeyoung was sitting on the floor playing with the guitar. He came closer to her and gave her sparkling water. Chaeyoung looked up, smiling and took the bottle.

“Thank you for coming,” said Jaehyun after he sat down next to her.

“Pfft… Why does it sound like I am the new member welcomed by the old member?” Chaeyoung was giggling while still playing with the guitar, trying to found the right melody.

“I heard you were sick. I was so anxious when I heard that news. But, I am glad that you came,” Jaehyun saw the other members were talking to each other. They looked so close.

“Why?” Chaeyoung asked.

“You see, I am new here. The only person I know is you. Well, I met some of them when I did volunteer work in the hospital but, I still feel awkward. When I first heard you weren’t attending I am so nervous. But then you appeared, it seems like half, no 80% of my nervousness was gone,” Jaehyun’s ear slowly turned pink. He was shy when he said that.

“You see, even if I was sick, I will still come. I am the one who brings you here, so that’s means I have a responsibility to take care of you. Let’s just say, I am your mentor. Then, that’s means you should call me sunbaenim,” Chaeyoung tried to make their conversation became less serious. She knew that she was bad handling compliments from others. She had a tomato face so it’s better to stop this topic as soon as possible.

The break time was over and now they were back to practice again. Three hours was passed so fast. The rent time was over so they ended their practice for today. Chaeyoung also felt tired so she decided to go home. She was about to say goodbye but Lisa grabbed her arm and dragged her away.

“Where are you going? You owned us an explanation,” Lisa whispered on her ear and continued dragged her until they reached Jisoo’s car. Chaeyoung had no idea why her friends suddenly abducted her but she can’t do anything. Besides, it’s been so long for her to hanging out with Jennie, Lisa, and Jisoo. She was tired but can’t resist this temptation.

In the car, Chaeyoung was interrogated by three of her best friends. They questioned Chaeyoung why she suddenly showed up with a handsome man. Jimin said she was sick so she won’t come to practice. Chaeyoung had been curious since her conversation with Jaehyun about her being sick. To be frank, she didn’t know about the practice itself. But, when she knew Jimin was the one who said it, she pretended she was really sick. She wasn’t lying. She was indeed felt sick. Not her body but her heart.

“So, since Jaehyun asked you to come, you suddenly get healthy?” Jennie .

“Who won’t get healthy when being asked by such a handsome guy like him?” Chaeyoung was playing along with Jennie.

“Oooh… Our Chaeyoung is a woman now. She is finally interested in a man. Woah, that’s good news,” Jisoo was surprised by her answer.

The girls finally arrived at their destination. Chaeyoung was wondered why they come to the karaoke room after singing for three hours in the studio. Lisa said Jennie was the one who insisted to come. She said she wanted to release her stress. She was in the 3rd grade and now preparing for the university entrance exam. It’s stressed her out. She can’t sing her heart out in the studio because they should be serious in there. Chaeyoung nodded. Lucky for her, she also had lots of stress to release.

Jennie came first to the karaoke room and snatched the remote right away. The rest of the girls were sat down. Jisoo took the menu book and busy choosing the food. Lisa took the tambourine and other accessories to wear then supported Jennie when dancing crazily to the song.

Someone knocked on the door and entered the room while bringing the food Jisoo ordered. Jennie who was so determined keep singing and dancing although there was an outsider. Lisa was embarrassed so she stopped singing. Jisoo and Chaeyoung also embarrassed on Jennie’s behalf. Once the waitress was gone, they were all laughing.

One hour later, the four of them were already lost their energy. They ordered more drinks and food to regain their power. The songs they played now changed into a ballad and slow tempo songs. One by one took their turn to have their solo ballad performance. After Lisa finished her song, Jisoo stood up and took the remote. She was the next contestant. Jisoo inserted a number on the remote. She said she was so into this song lately.

It’s my fate

Don’t smile on me

Light on me

Because I can’t come to you

There’s no name you can call me

 

You know that I can’t

Show you me

Give you me

I can’t show you a run-down part of myself

I wear a mask again and go to see you

But I still want you

Jisoo’s sorrowful voice and the melancholy song blended so well. It made the audience watched her performance in awe especially Chaeyoung. The lyrics hit her so hard because it reminded her of what happened yesterday. Jisoo ended the performance beautifully with a standing ovation from the audience. Now it’s time for Chaeyoung’s turn. She was the last singer. Lisa passed her the remote but she didn’t know what to sing. She just randomly inserted a number and the song she chose was VIXX LR- Beautiful Liar. She took the mic and moved to the front. She started singing the song while reading the lyrics displayed on the monitor.

This is a beautiful lie

My last lie

Even if it hurts to death

I am hiding myself

Under a mask for you

Because there was a rap part on the song, she changed the setting so that the original singer's voice appeared. The rap was too fast that she gave up singing it. She just stood there focusing on the song and the lyrics. Lisa, Jisoo, and Jennie were encouraging Chaeyoung to sing the rap part. Chaeyoung was laughing and tried her best to rap but gave up midway. She let the rapper sing his part.

I see myself in the mirror and I ask myself

Will it really make you happy if I let you go?

I’ll throw myself away completely

Because you need quiet time to yourself

Did I say those things without even meaning it?

As I replay your face

When you screamed go away

I’m tainting our memories that were beautiful

I haven’t imagined a life without you yet

But please be happy

So that at least my lie can shine

 

I’m letting go of your tightly held hands

But my heart is still the same

But I’ll let you go

I’m letting go of your hands

But my heart is still the same

I think it’s best for you

If I end it right here

 

This is a beautiful lie

My last lie

Even if it hurts to death

I am hiding myself

Under a mask for you

It’s alright if you leave me

I want you to be happy

Oh I’m

I’m beauty…

I’m beautif…

”Criiiiiiiinggggggggggg” the screeched noise was hurting the ears of the three friends who were sitting on the couch. Their attention was fully on Chaeyoung now. They wondered why she dropped the mic? Chaeyoung suddenly felt down on her knees and made the others panicked. They thought Chaeyoung was sick. They hurriedly came to her and kneeled down before her. They were surprised when they saw Chaeyoung was crying. This was unexpected and very surprising. They didn’t know what happened to her. They looked at each other with a confused face but then decided to let Chaeyoung cry. The three of them then sat down. Jisoo reached her arms out and pull Chaeyoung’s head to her embrace. Jisoo and Lisa who saw it also joined Jisoo to comforting their friend who was crying in the most heartbreaking way.

It’s a beautiful pain

Letting you go

I have to kill myself inside

Swallow my tears

And put on a smiling mask

 

I feel so relieved now

Please don’t worry about me

Oh I’m

I’m a beautiful

No, a cowardly liar.

The song was still playing. Its sorrowful melody was heard together with the crying sound from the girl whose fortress finally collapsed. The girl herself didn’t know she would break down in tears. She had enough. She wasn’t as strong as she thought she was. She endured for too long. Now, she cried her heart out like there was no tomorrow. She cried and cried. All the regret, all the sadness, all the pain. She let it out and poured it down into tears. She hoped it won’t stay on her mind anymore.