We All Need Healing Time

Excuse Me?

It’s Monday, and it was the first day of summer holiday. Namjoon woke up because of the alarm. The alarm ringtone was so disturbing that he can’t let it ringing. Namjoon forced himself to woke up and tried to find his phone around his pillow. He looked at it but the sound actually didn’t come from his phone. He got up from his bed then walked towards his desk. He opened the drawer and took out another phone. After turn the alarm off, he put the phone on his desk and continued to sleep. It was the third time he woke up to turn off the alarm. The first one was at 6AM in the morning.

Namjoon was playing game till late night that was why he was so sleepy. It didn’t reach 5 minutes while he closed his eyes, the alarm was ringing again. Namjoon tried to ignore it, but the more he tried to ignore, the ringtone become more annoying Namjoon kicked his blanket and groaning. He reached the phone and turn off all the alarm again. He swears, if the alarm was ringing again, he will sell the phone. That phone was locked and Namjoon didn’t know the passcode. That was why he can’t set the alarm to turn it off. Namjoon pulled his blanket and close his eyes while he heard another phone ringtone.

“AAAAARRRGGH WHAT AGAIN? CANT ANYONE LET ME SLEEP??!!” Namjoon was angry and nagging. He walked towards his desk for the third time but this time, it wasn’t that phone which ringing. He took his own phone which he put beside his pillow. He got a call from his mom.

“Hello,” he answered while looking at the clock. It still 7 AM. Why on earth his Mom calling in the early morning.

“Namjoon, can you help me? I have a meeting at 8.30 but I forgot to bring my document. I can’t going back home because there won’t be enough time. Can you bring it to my office before 8.30? Take the subway that you won’t get trapped in traffic jam. I am sorry to wake you up this early, but Mom really need it. The document was on my desk. Bring the green file,” his Mom explained the reason she called him in early morning.

“Alright,” Namjoon answered shortly.

“Thank you son, I will treat you a delicious meal after this,” his Mom was glad and relieved.

Namjoon hang up the phone. He washed his face and brushed his teeth then changed his clothes. He came to his Mom’s work room then took the green file on her desk. He came back to his room then put the file on his bag. He looked at the clock, it already 7.15, he didn’t have enough time. He quickly put on his shoes and with quick steps, walking towards the subway station.

It could be a holiday for students, but not for the workers. The station was full of workers who want to go to work. Namjoon cursed silently. He already passed two trains because he can’t manage to come in. It was too full. He was about to passed the third train but while he looked into his watch, he won’t manage to deliver the document before 8.30 if he didn’t get into this train. He wasn’t used to this situation but he tried to adapting. He pushed his own body so he could get in. The train was too crowded that he can’t even move his own body.

He was standing facing a back of a girl. On his left, an old man was facing him. It was so awkward for him if coincidently met the old man eyes. So he decided to look straight. As the train arrived at the next station, the passengers didn’t get less but the opposite, there were some people who got into the train that causing Namjoon to get pushed in. Now, he totally can’t move an inch.

Namjoon was looking around the train. He didn’t know what to do. Fortunately, because of his height, he could avoid being in awkward situation. He didn’t have to face other people face nor get bothered by the hair of someone in front of him. While grumping silently and wishing to arrive quickly, he got amazed by the girl who standing right in front of him. She could normally play with her phone in the middle of this crowded place. Unconsciously, Namjoon was staring at that girl phone. She was having a chat with her friend.

Eunhassi          : Jangmi hasn’t answered my chat either. I wonder what happened with her.

Sowonieyo      : What should I do? She is the best when it comes to Chemistry. I need to pass this remedial test. If she really busy at least I want borrow her notes.

Eunhassi          : she didn’t make any. She told me earlier. Haha, yet she ranked 1st again.Well, she supposed to have one. She told me that the most effective way for her to learn is through writing a note.

Sowonieyo      : ikr. Don’t u think she just took a distance with us?

Eunhassi          : idk. Just let her be. Maybe bcs of her bf.

iamyerin          : but she said that guy is her “oppa”. Not her bf.

Sowonieyo      : most of girl called their bf as “oppa” y know.

Eunhassi          : yeah, just trust her. He is really her “oppa”.

Iamyerin          : but that oppa is so freakin handsome. Maybe she just didn’t want to introduce him to us

Namjoon chuckled as he read the conversation. What a waste of time, gossiping about others since early morning. But strangely, he keep took a glance to that girl phone screen and continue to reading their conversation.

Sowonieyo      : don’t be ridiculous. Why shouldn’t she? It doesn’t like I will seduce him anyway. Why so afraid? I am not the traitor-type who will snatch their friend’s bf.

Eunhassi          : nobody knows. Evryone changes when it comes to their lovers and grade.

Iamyerin          : well, girls don’t u think we just going overboard? It is Jangmi that we are talking about. She is super kind. Hv u ever found her act annoying?

Sowonieyo      : never. But, idk why she just being strange. I had too many question for her.

Eunhassi          : wait till u have white hair on your head, I bet she will never tell us.

iamyerin          : is typing…

Namjoon took his eyes off of that girl phone screen as the girl stop writing the reply. Namjoon looked into the window and saw his reflection. He got embarrassed because he thought maybe that girl caught him reading to her conversation through his reflection. Luckily, he could escape that awkward situation because he almost arrived on his destination. It was one station left.

Namjoon dropped off from the train and accelerating his steps so he could arrive on his mom’s office right on time. His Mom was so relieved. She dragged Namjoon to the cafeteria to buy him a breakfast. Namjoon looked into his watch. It’s almost time for her to attend the meeting. He told her to go, but she insisted. Namjoon said he will eat the breakfast so she should better go. What is the point to deliver the document if she late for the meeting. His Mom smiled brightly because she thinks he was so cute when he expressing his feeling. She gave him her card and told him to pay his food with that card.

Namjoon decided to took his time for eating the breakfast since it still in rush hour. He didn’t want to took the train nor get trapped in traffic jam. He will wait until 9.30 then he will go home. Namjoon read a book while waiting for his food to arrive. Suddenly, his phone was vibrating. He took a look at it but there was no notification. Then, he took out another phone. The phone was keep vibrating since he was in the train. The phone belongs to Chaeyoung. Yesterday, she came to his home and her phone was left on Namjoon’s room. She really looked lost yesterday. No wonder she even forget her phone. But, until now, she hasn’t called. It looked like he didn’t try to found her phone.

Namjoon moved his eyes from the phone while the waitress came to deliver his foods. He thanked her then began to devour his breakfast. He put the phone on the table. The phone kept vibrating and it annoyed him. He really got pissed off by that phone since morning. Now, he planned to turn it off. He didn’t care whether Chaeyoung will call or not. He pressed the home button and saw the notification. There were hundreds of SNS notification and the new messages keep coming.

Sowonieyo just sent you a message…

Eunhassi just sent you a message…

Namjoon was wondering why the username seem familiar. Where did he saw it? He almost lost in thought if his stomach didn’t growling so hard. He was so hungry that he decided to turn off the phone and eat his breakfast peacefully.

After finishing his breakfast, Namjoon walked towards the bus station. He chooses to ride the bus despite of the traffic jam rather than traveling with train again. At least, there was a lot of space on the bus. Namjoon took the last seat beside the window. There were several passengers on that bus. And all the passengers were doing the same thing, playing with their own phone. Suddenly, Namjoon remembered where he saw the username that popped out on Chaeyoung phone.

Namjoon turn on Chaeyoung phone. But, then he realized he didn’t know the passcode. He randomly pressed 1234 but he got it wrong. Then he tried 0852 randomly. Surprisingly it works! Namjoon was laughing. He found it funny. How someone could make such an easy passcode. Chaeyoung was really simple.

As long as the phone , the notification was popped out again. Namjoon scrolled down the notification bar and accidently touched the SNS’s notification. The application got opened. Namjoon know it was rude to read someone else personal account, but, as long as he didn’t tell her, its fine, right? Namjoon looked to the profile, but it didn’t look like Chaeyoung’s account. The picture wasn’t her. It was someone else. He looked at the username. iamyerin. Ah, maybe it was her friend account and she forgot to logging out.

Namjoon about to logging out to stop the notification for coming, but then he got curious about the conversation. He scrolled down the chat then he scrolled up to read the earlier chat. That group was consists of three people. Sowonieyo, Eunhassi and Iamyerin. They are mostly talking about their friend called Jangmi. Reading from the words they use, it seems like that Jangmi girl is one of their friend. That girl might be annoying that causing them to talk behind her back.

According to the chat history, that Jangmi looked like a fake girl. She acted like an angel, but she actually not. She didn’t want to lend her notebook because she wanted to become the 1st rank. She didn’t want to introduce the handsome guy because she was afraid her friend will stole him away. Once, when one of her friend’s grandmother passed away, she didn’t come to the funeral. She said she already had planned with her family and it was important. But, two of her friends caught her having a dinner with her alleged boyfriend. That Jangmi girl was really awful. Namjoon will also get angry if he had a friend like her.

As soon as Namjoon arrived at his home, he went straight to his bedroom and in no time, he fall asleep. He was awake because of his stomach was crying out loud. No wonder, it already 3PM. With his eyes half closed, he walked towards the dining room. Mrs. Gong, his housekeeper wasn’t there. He found sticky notes on the dining table which said she was going to the hospital to her husband who was sick. She already cooked Namjoon a lunch but she put it on the refrigator. Namjoon only need to heat it up.

After heat the food up, Namjoon was eating alone on the table. He was munching his food while his other hand took the sticky notes that left by Ms. Gong. He looked into it and found out the rose doodle on it. He wonder, how many sticky notes that his mom took from Chaeyoung. He could found it everywhere. Namjoon was wondering how Chaeyoung could manage to draw all the roses. She might have too much free time to spend. Thinking about it again, she had a narcissistic side. She draw the rose because of her English name was Rose. But why did her Korean name was Chaeyoung and not Jangmi? It will make more sense since rose in Korean is jangmi. Wait… Jangmi…

Namjoon put his spoon down. He stopped munch his food. He got too surprised by the fact that he just found. Now, everything was making sense. Namjoon rushed toward his bedroom and quickly looking for Chaeyoung’s phone. He opened the SNS account and scrolled up until he found the history of yesterday chat. He looked to the time when Chaeyoung was in his bedroom. Suddenly, Namjoon felt really guilty. He felt guilty because he was angry at that Jangmi earlier. He didn’t know who was telling the truth. But, recalling the expression that Chaeyoung shown yesterday and how she suddenly looked so lost, made Namjoon tend to trust her more.

Chaeyoung’s phone was vibrating again. Namjoon touch the notification and read the message.

Sowonieyo      : Hey guys where you at? I already arrived.

Eunhassi          : I am in toilet fixing up my make-up. Wait a moment, I will arrive in no time.

Sowonieyo      : Yerin, where r u?

Eunhassi          : Don’t tell me she got overslept.

Sowonieyo      : But it showed that she saw it. Hey Yerin, don’t just read, answer please!

Eunhassi          : otw.

Sowonieyo      : YERIN THE MOVIE ABOUT TO START! WHERE THE HELL ARE
  YOU??? Me and Eunha waiting in front of the cinema’s door.

Eunhassi          : if you are late, we will watch without you.

Iamyerin          : OH MY GOD. I just read it. I am in front of the studio’s door!

Sowonieyo      : Wth r u talking abt? U read my message earlier.

Iamyeri            : I swear I just opened it now! There was no notification on my phone. And I
  was about to chat you guys so that I just found it.

Eunhassi          : How creepy. So, who was the one who saw it then? Nah, forget it, me and
  Sowon otw to the studio.

Namjoon closed the SNS app and continued to eat his lunch. To be frank, he likes Chaeyoung a lot. She is the first tutor that suit Namjoon’s style well. But, since Namjoon was the type who not good to express his true feeling, he tend to act rude to hide his shyness. He didn’t know that Chaeyoung will resign as his tutor. He regretted that he used to to quit. Well, he really mean it at first, but as they spent more time together, he began to like her.

Chaeyoung’s phone was ringing and there was incoming call from Jjen. Namjoon picked it up and found out it was Chaeyoung who finally looking for her phone. She was glad that her phone was in Namjoon’s hand. She will take her phone tomorrow because she couldn’t make it today. She was busy today. Namjoon agreed to meet tomorrow after he finishes his practice.

***

Namjoon waiting outside the café where he supposed to meet with Chaeyoung. After finishing his practice, he quickly took a shower and rushing to the café. He felt quite guilty with his seniors especially because he was chosen as the substitute of the original player. He knew he was lacking in experience and to keep it up, the only thing he needs to do is practice hard. But, he didn’t expect this at all. He already promised Chaeyoung. Morever, he didn’t know how to tell her if he will be late cause her phone was with him. Namjoon looked around and he found Chaeyoung was walking towards him. Once their eyes met, Chaeyoung accelerate her steps.

“I am…  huft… huft.. sorry… I make you wait… huft… huft…,” Chaeyoung was gasping for air while she was stand beside Namjoon.

“You aren’t,” Namjoon felt sorry towards her especially because he saw her carrying a guitar on her back. Namjoon wait for Chaeyoung to find her normal breath pace then handing out her phone.

“Thank you,” Chaeyoung took her phone from Namjoon’s hand.

“I thought you don’t have any intention to find your phone. Why did you look for it after losing it for two days? Whatever, now I already give it back to you.  So, I will go first,” Namjoon chuckled then he was ready to leave.

“Why are you going so quickly? Let’s go, I should treat you as my gratitude. Come on!” Chaeyoung grabbed Namjoon’s arm then dragged him into the café.

“What do you want to order?” Chaeyoung asked him.

“Whatever is fine,” he replied.

“Then, I will order and you find chair for us!” Chaeyoung order him.

Namjoon left her in the counter and began to looking for a place. This café was too crowded. No wonder, people want to find a cool place to avoid the heat. There was almost no vacant seat available so he walked towards the counter again.

“Why did you come back? Is there no available seat?” asked Chaeyoung while Namjoon standing beside her.

“Yeah, it’s too crowded. I will wait outside,” Namjoon left Chaeyoung and wait outside the café. After a few minutes, Chaeyoung walked out with a paper bag on her hands. They were walking towards the Han River to find a spot for enjoy their foods. Namjoon led the way and finally found a not so crowded place.

“Wah, you have a nice taste. The view is very good here!” Chaeyoung seat in the bench and Namjoon followed.

Chaeyoung handed out the Strawberry milkshake and tiramisu cake to Namjooon. He accepted it and they began to devour their own food. They were eating in a silence.

“Are you playing a guitar?” Namjoon break the silence. It so unusual because it was the first time Namjoon started the conversation.

“Ah, this, yeah. I am not really that good though. Our church will hold a charity program and my friends and I are trying to collect money for charity through music. We formed a band and perform around here. We just started to practice today and planned to perform tomorrow. If you have time, you can come and watch us!” Chaeyoung told him.

“Ah, I see. But, I think I can’t come. I am too busy with my soccer practice,”Namjoon rejected her offers.

“Geez…. You really look like my brother. Practicing really hard although it’s holiday,” Chaeyoung complaining.

“I will substitute one of my senior because he suddenly went abroad. I have no choice but to practice diligently to cover my lacking of experience,” Namjoon told the reason.

“Ah, really? That is a great opportunity for you then! Congratulations!” Chaeyoung congratulates him and eating her last piece of cake.

Their conversation ends for a while. They were busy enjoying the scenery around them. Feeling the summer breeze and slowly sinking in their deep thought. The silence moment was broke while Chaeyoung pick up a phone call.

Namjoon coincidently looking the caller ID. Park Chim Chim. Chaeyoung excuse herself to pick up the phone. Namjoon nodded and continue to eating his cake. He overheard the conversation. It seems like, Chaeyoung should go home now. Suddenly, Namjoon ordered his mouth to slow down from chewing the cake.

“I am sorry. My brother just called. I should go home now. But, don’t worry I will wait until you finish your cake. I told him I will a bit late,” Chaeyoung looking at Namjoon’s cake and smiling.

“You… really quitting this job?” Namjoon finally asked her. Although he was hesitate to ask it.

“Well, yeah. It’s earlier than my plan though. Actually, I want to take your suggestion to quit after finding a new job. But, well, yeah… It just happened. Suddenly,” Chaeyoung answer Namjoon’s question while quietly trying to look into his expression.

Namjoon staring at his cake. He cut a big slice then put it to his mouth.

“Why? Are you sad?” Chaeyoung .

“My Mom will find a new tutor anyway. She is really quick when it comes to find a tutor for me,” Namjoon gulped down the cake on his mouth and put in the last bite.

“If you asked me to reconsider my decision by telling the reason I shouldn’t quit, maybe… I can change my mind,” Chaeyoung was having fun teasing Namjoon. For her, Namjoon was very cute when got teased.

“Are you really craving for a compliment?” Namjoon got flustered because it seems like she knew that Namjoon didn’t want her to quit. He got a bit embarrassed that’s why he responded like that to hide it.

“Sadly, yes. I don’t remember when the last time I heard a compliment. Hahaha… Why do I sound so pathetic? Forget it. I am just kidding,” Chaeyoung laughed at his own jokes but there was sadness between those laugh. Namjoon could feel it. He felt guilty after saying it. He cursed his mouth by saying that words.

“It just… I am tired to adapting to a new tutor. I can’t count how many times I change the tutor. Most of them were quit because they can’t adapt to my style… and behaviour,” Namjoon sipped his strawberry milkshake to camouflage his shaky and shy voice.

“Don’t worry. Starting from now, you won’t get another tutor unless you are the one who ask it to your Mom. Anyway, you already finished your cake? Then, let’s go home. You are in a hurry before, right? I am sorry to force you to finish it,” Chaeyoung smiled while hearing Namjoon’s answer. She stood up and took the empty cake’s box from Namjoon’s hand and threw it to the garbage bin.

“Why are you still sitting there?” Chaeyoung was confuse because Namjoon still sitting on the bench. She thought he already left while she threw the rubbish.

“Let’s go. We are going to the same direction anyway,” Namjoon stood up while Chaeyoung reach the bench.

Both of them walked in silence. They enjoy the afternoon view of the Han River. What a lovely afternoon. Since earlier, Namjoon really want to ask her about the alleged boyfriend that become hot topic among her friends. He wanted to confirm who is the one who telling the truth.

“Hey, how is it going with your boyfriend?” Namjoon built up his courage to ask.

“How many times I need to tell you that I don’t have a boyfriend,” Chaeyoung laughing at Namjoon’s question.

“I am sorry. I mean your ex-boyfriend. You went to meet him on Monday, right? You even dolled up,” Namjoon didn’t give up to digging some information.

“I don’t even have an ex. That guy, he is just someone that I adore. He doesn’t even know who I am. How to say it… hmm.. He just like an idol for me and I am his fans. Speaking of which, why are you very curious about my romantic life?” Chaeyoung began to become suspicious.

Namjoon panicked. He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t answer her directly. He took some time to thinking about the most rational answer

“I just want to make sure. You are afraid if we were seen together. You even save my number not as my name which means, you are hiding something. I don’t want to get involved in your relationship. I don’t want your boyfriend to misunderstand me,” Namjoon relieved and surprised that his brain could come out with such a lie.

“Hahaha… I am not hiding it from my non-existence boyfriend. I am hiding it from my Oppa and some friends. But now, I don’t need to hide it anymore. I already decided I will end it all,” Chaeyoung staring to the couple who have a picnic date then she looked into Namjoon.

Yeah, and it began with end it first with you.

The bus finally coming. Chaeyoung sitting in the second row from the back while Namjoon took a seat in the last row, beside the window. Namjoon opened the bus’ window and looking outside. He loves the feeling to ride bus and the wind caressing his face. Suddenly he felt his phone was vibrating. He took it out from his pocket and got confused while looking at the caller ID.

“What is that? You save my number as “Chaengi”? What am I? A pet? Why did you save it with that kind of name?” Chaeyoung suddenly appear near Namjoon. She was curious about what kind of name that Namjoon saved her in his phone.

Namjoon was startled because he didn’t realize Chaeyoung was already sitting beside him.

“It’s not as weird as my name on your phone though! At least I have a solid reason,” Namjoon embarrassed because Chaeyoung saw the nickname he gave her.

“What? Let me know the reason then!” Chaeyoung pretending to got mad but she actually dying inside. She never thought she could get a cute nickname from him.

“I just want to avoid some misunderstanding. There was a rule in our team that not allowed us to dating. I just do it so people won’t get the wrong idea if they accidently saw your message. We only talked about meet up and it could create a huge misunderstanding,” Namjoon explained himself.

“Yet you got mad when I am not using your real name. It was the same reason though,” Chaeyoung couldn’t hold her laughter anymore. Namjoon got offended because of the laughter. He didn’t want to lose his pride.

“At least I am not as weird as yours. Why the hell you set an alarm every 5 minutes at the dawn? It gives me a trouble since I need to wake up to turn it off. What even more weird is I never meet someone who set an alarm at 00.00. Who are you? Cinderella?” Namjoon complaining.

“Ahahaha, I am very sorry. It must be bother you a lot. I can’t help but to set that noisy alarm. If I wake up late, my brother will also be late to school. I need to cook for breakfast and set a lunch box too. My parent isn’t here with me, so I should be the one who taking care of my little brother,” Chaeyoung apologize and showing her smile, hoping Namjoon to forgive her.

“Well yeah, about the midnight alarm… Actually I just… I just love the alarm song. It is my favourite song. Whenever I listen to that song, I just feel so grateful and tell my own self that I am doing great today. I listen to it before I sleep. So that I could wake up with fresh mind tomorrow. I could say it is my healing time. You should listen to it to! It so great! The title is You Did Well Today by Okdal,” Chaeyoung excitedly talking about the song.

Once again, Namjoon regretting what he just said. He was staring into Chaeyoung’s face when she answered. She was smiling so brightly, but somehow, she looks sad. Namjoon felt  really guilty because he asked that question to her. He looked away from her and staring at the afternoon sky.

“Ah, I will drop off in next stop. Thank you for today. I wish you win in your next match,” Chaeyoung stand up from the seat and walked towards the door. When the bus stopped, she waving her hand to Namjoon and drop off from the bus.

Chaeyoung let out a soft sight and looked up into the sky. It’s almost dark. The sun will be leaving in no time. She smiled with no reason. She put her hands into her jacket’s pocket.

“Why are you standing here? Are you forget the way to your own home?” without notice, Namjoon already standing beside her and it quite startled her.

“Why are you standing here? As long as I remember it’s not your way home,” Chaeyoung didn’t answer Namjoon question but rather asked him the same question.

Namjoon didn’t answer. Chaeyoung just smiling then she began to walk towards her home. They were walking side by side in silence but somehow it didn’t feel awkward at all.

“Hey, are you really quit?” Namjoon asked the same question for the second time today.

“Sadly, yes. I’ve decided,” Chaeyoung answer with the same answer like before.

“You are not bad. To be frank, you are quite good. So far, from all my tutor, you are … I am not saying you are the best since you are just one class above me, so… how can I say it, I am most comfortable with  you. You are also the first one who understands me so well. Understand in this context is, my study style. Moreover, you can adjust to my schedule so, yeah, I couldn’t find it in other tutor,” Namjoon’s face become so hot. He didn’t used to say a straightforward compliment like this. Especially to a girl. He feel bad earlier because he thought he said something that hurt her feeling. Moreover, when he heard her story and it seems like she just having a fight with her friends. His heart just told him to say something nice to console her.

“Really? Ah I am so happy to hear that. I’m afraid you might hate me because you keep telling me to quit. But don’t worry, it just my first thought when I met you. I am so touched with your words that my heart is wavering whether I should reconsider my decision. But, it will hurt my pride if I cancelling my resignation that I already handed. Maybe, if you tell your Mom and your Mom ask me to continue working as your tutor, I will become your tutor again,” Chaeyoung feel so happy after hearing the compliment. She knew it must be hard for Namjoon to telling something sweet and touching like that.

“But, I think, I will reject that offer. I have already decided that I will focus on my study from now on. Well, if you need my help, maybe I can help you. Count it as group study. You don’t have to pay me. Nah, we arrived. You don’t have to me right in front of my home. It will cause trouble if my Oppa saw you,” said Chaeyoung. They stopped in front of the junction. Chaeyoung thanked him, bowed then waving to him. After a few steps, Namjoon called her.

“Hey! I am sorry. I just logged out from your SNS account without your permission. It so noisy that I got bothered. And your passcode, I just accidently press a random number and it strangely right. You need to make more difficult combination for you passcode,” Namjoon revealed his crime. At first, he was hesitate to tell her. But, since he hate to telling the lie and he know what he did was wrong, he can’t help but to confess.

“Hehehe… Never mind. Ah, since you confess your crime for trespassing into my private property, as a return, I want to confessing something too,” Chaeyoung showed a mysterious smile while slowly walking backward.

Namjoon was confused and curious about “the crime” that she committed.

“You know why your number was saved as “Cute June” in my phone? Despite of your tough looked and tsundere characters, you are very cute. And I have a picture in my phone as proof of your true side. For your information, your Mom showed me your little secret that you are hiding in your bedroom. Now I know the reason why you are strongly refuse to study in your home. Anyway, thank you so much for everything. Up until now, I am very happy that I decided to accept your Mom offer to become your tutor. There is no regret at all. Bye June! I hope we can stay as a good friend,” Chaeyoung slowly walked away.

Namjoon was left speechless and embarrassed hearing Chaeyoung’s confession. Despite of his embarrassment, he was smiling showing off his dimples.

Thank you so much too. I also hope we can stay as good friend. Namjoon wanted to say that but he just too embarrassed to say it.

***

Jungkook woke up in shock. He looked at the clock and relieved. He wasn’t late. It was still too early though to go to summer class. He went to the kitchen to eat a breakfast but he couldn’t found anything on the table. He read a message left by his mom that said she run out of stock so she didn’t cook anything. She went to the market and left some money and told Jungkook to buy his breakfast.

Jungkook went to the convenient store in his neighborhood but then, he changed his mind. He walked towards the bus stopped. He didn’t know what got into him that he came to the neighborhood where he used to meet up with Jiho. He didn’t want to admit it, but a small voice in his heart told him that there was a chance to meet the girl from yesterday if he went there.

“Welcome!” the clerk greet Jungkook as his push the door and came into the convenient store. He walked towards the bread shelf and took the cheese flavored one. He walked towards the refrigerator while his eyes caught a familiar black hoodie with pink cats printed on it. It’s her! He quickly put his bread on the table and run outside.

“Hey!” he managed to catch her.

The black hoodie girl was stopped. Jungkook walked closer but she suddenly walked faster. Jungkook accelerate his steps and grab her arm.

“Don’t come closer!” she was surprised as Jungkook grabbed her arm.

Jungkook was shocked and quickly let go of her arm. That girl walked a few step further.

“Just stand there. I, I, I can’t get closer to you. I have tobacco allergy,” she talked to him without facing him.

“Alright, I am sorry. I don’t know that you have an allergy,” Jungkook remembered last night incident and felt really guilty. He was scared it will repeat so he just stood there.

“What do you want?” she asked again.

Jungkook suddenly forgot the reason why he chased her. He was too flustered.

“That, well, I just. I just wanna know, did you come home safely last night?” he cursed himself to spout a non-sense question.

“Yes. Thank you for your help. Well, if you don’t have anything to say, then, excuse me!” she slightly turn her head and bowed. She walked quickly and left Jungkook behind.

Jungkook just stood there with a blank expression. He stared at that girl’s back until she turned right at the junction and disappeared from Jungkook’s sight. As the girl was nowhere to be seen, Jungkook just remembered the reason why he chased after her. He wants to return the book that the girl left last night on the slide. But it’s too late to catch her, she already gone. So, he went back to the store and continued his postponed breakfast.

***

Although the official practice schedule was hold every Tuesday and Thursday, but, most of the Spring Tournament line-up came to school to practice almost every weekday. They can’t use the field because it was used by another club, but as long as there was an empty space, they will practice. Jungkook came to the club room in the lunch break. The team was having a break. Taehyung and Dokyeom weren’t there. According to Minghao, they went to pick up the food in front of school gate. Jungkook decided to stay and chit-chatting with them. He especially asked about Namjoon’s performance. So far, all of them said Namjoon was great, but he just lacking of experience.

Taehyung and Dokyeom make a ruckus while coming in. Taehyung bring some pizza boxes on his hands while Dokyeom bring plastic bag full of soft drinks. Taehyung’s eyes unexpectedly met Jungkook’s eyes but in a speed of light, he quickly looked away.

“Pizza is coming!” said Taehyung. He put the pizza boxes on the table. Like a group of lion who are ready to hunt a deer, his team members quickly came closer to the table and grabbed a slice. Jungkook who already eat his lunch and need to come back to class just sitting and watch his team eating the pizza deliciously.

“Hey, you don’t eat?” Jaehwan asked Jungkook.

“Don’t worry, we order a lot of pizza. It’s enough for each person to eat 5 slices,” Dokyeom offered him too.

“No thanks, I should go back to class. Ms. Lee is strict. She doesn’t tolerate the student who came late. Enjoy your meal guys! I will join you once I finish the class,” Jungkook standing from the chair and patted Jaehwan’s shoulder then he left the club room.

It seems like Taehyung and Dokyeom didn’t tell their teammate about Jaehyun’s incident. They acted like nothing happened, although Taehyung tried not to interacting with him since he is not good to hold his anger. It was so suffocating. Jungkook hate this atmosphere. But, he kept being stubborn. He didn’t want to initiate reconciliation. He didn’t want to apologize first because he felt he didn’t do nothing wrong.

Jungkook tried to concentrate on the lesson but he kept thinking about his fight yesterday. Besides, he didn’t understand any of it. Unlike other subject, Chemistry was the hardest subject for him. No matter what, he still confuse with all this chemistry reaction. Even the magic notebook can’t help him. Finally the 2 hours long class was come to an end. He packed his belonging then heading towards the field to join his team.

During practice, Jungkook spent much of his time with Namjoon. Since Jungkook is a striker, Namjoon was the best partner for him to practice. It’s already 4.30 PM and they end their practice for today. Jungkook took his bag from the locker without changing his practice shirt. He quickly went back home.

“Jeon Jungkook!” Mingyu called him. Jungkook turned his head and stopped.

“Hey, don’t you want to reconcile with Taehyung and Dokyeom? It so frustrated looking at our condition right now. They may act like nothing happened in front of others, and the others didn’t found it strange, but, I know we could feel it. It is really suffocating for four of us. We can’t stay like this until the semi-final,” Mingyu tried to seduce Jungkook so he would reconcile with his friends.

“I won’t do it. Why should I be the one who apologize?” Jungkook keep being stubborn.

“Because you are the Captain. I don’t know what’s gotten into you that you become stubborn like this. This is unlike you. I don’t know why you are being so sensitive. Alright, I understand that Taehyung’s words might hurt you, but please understand, he just very mad at that time so he couldn’t control his words,” Mingyu didn’t give up to ensure him.

“Now you also take his side. Okay, that’s all my fault. Yeah, I am just being sensitive. Too sensitive that I become selfish. Listen, it’s better to save your energy by not trying to seduce me. I won’t listen to it,” Jungkook took out his earphone then plugged it to his ears.

Jungkook always ride the bus to go home. But, unlike usual, he rode the different bus today. He went to that neighborhood again. He bought something to eat then waiting near the playground. After one hour of waiting, he didn’t see that girl come to the playground. Ah, maybe it still early for her to come or maybe she just traumatized that she won’t come again. Jungkook looked through the sky. It was so cloudy. He decided to go home before it is raining. Maybe, he could meet her again later to give her the diary.

It’s raining so hard while Jungkook arrived at the bus stop. Jungkook decided to wait for the rain to. He didn’t bring an umbrella. He decided if the rain not going to stop in the next one hour, he will run to his home. He didn’t want to catch a cold so he decided to wait.

One hour has passed but the rain not giving a sign to stop. He prepared himself to run through this heavy rain. He was about to run while someone grab his arm and pulled him back.

“Let’s go home, together,” said that person. Jungkook turned his head to looked at that person.

“DAD!!!” he was shocked after found out that man was his dad. His dad smiled seeing his son’s surprised face. His Dad quickly linked his arm to Jungkook and dragged him.

“What are you doing after school? How come you just went home at this hour?” asked his Dad.

“I just finished my practice. The semifinal match is in Saturday. And I wait one hour in the bus stop,” he answered.

“Did you wait me for me? How cute my son is,” his Dad let out a fatherly laugh.

“I am not waiting for you, Dad. How could you be so full of yourself?” Jungkook respons.

“So, you were waiting for a girl? Ah, my son is already a grown man. You should introduce her to me. Is she pretty?” his Dad again.

“What girl?” Jungkook got annoyed by his Dad’s joke.

“It’s okay, you don’t need to be secretive with your father,” his Dad gave him a smirk.

They walked side by side through the dark alley in the middle of heavy rain. It’s been a long time since Jungkook met his father. His father was a civil engineer. He was work on the project in other city. His Dad was barely come home. That’s why he was surprised to saw his Dad.

“Why did you walked so far away from me? Your shoulder was wet. Here come closer. You don’t have to feel embarrassed,” his Dad put his arm on Jungkook’s shoulder and pull him closer. The umbrella was not enough to cover them from this heavy rain.

“Don’t you felt touched with Dad action? I am a romantic Dad, didn’t I?” his Dad was proud with his gentlemen manner.

“Rather than touched, I felt embarrassed. You watched too much romantic drama, Dad,” Jungkook showed embarrassed face but he actually felt his Dad was funny.

“Aaaah, this situation was so romantic sharing umbrella with my beloved son. Should we have a date? We could have a date in a café listening to the mellow songs and have a deep conversation near the window. The rain sound could become the background music. Ah, it such a perfect date. Let’s go, son! It’s been a while since we have a quality time,” his Dad was excited with his own idea and quickly dragged Jungkook to the nearby café.

They spent the first 5 minutes without saying a word. They just drawn into the mood and enjoyed their drinks. His Dad broke the silence and told him to call his Mom to inform her that they will be late. He didn’t want to make his wife worried about her husband and son. His Dad then asked him a lot of questions regarding his life especially his school life. He told everything except the cheating controversy. Jungkook had a question that he really wanted to asked, but he was hesitate.

“So, about that girl, is she pretty?” his Dad asked him again.

“What girl? I said I didn’t waiting for a girl,” Jungkook answered.

“Alright, alright. So, what is the thing that bothered you? It seems like you have a question that you want to asked me,” his Dad can read Jungkook’s hesitate expression.

“Dad, why you never scold me about my poor academic performance? Why you never push me to study? My other friends are being forced by their parents to studying. Some of my friends in soccer club also promise their parents if their grade getting lower, they unconditionally will resign from the club,” Jungkook asked his Dad. He didn’t want to tell him about that incident, but he really curious about his Dad opinion regarding his score.

“Hmm… Your question is hard to answer. Even if I tell you the answer, I swear it will hard for you to understand. But, I think you have the right to know. To tell you the truth, when I become a Dad, I dream of bragging how smart my son is. He was always the top at his school. I did ever have that thought. My friend always brags about his smart son and I envy him. I even have an ambition that I will raise my son as great and smart student. So that I can shut his mouth.

“But, as I watch you grew up and found out what kind of boy you are, I no longer have that ambition. I want you to enjoy your life and be happy. I believe, as long as you were happy with your life, you could face a problem without felt too much pressure. And also, your life is basically yours, not mine. If I told you to do something you didn’t like, that’s mean I stole your right to choose you path. But, don’t you dare saying I didn’t care about my own son. The parent role is to control and watch their son. Once you are walk outside the track, it’s my and your mom’s role to bring you back.

“Life is not always about number, son. Your interpersonal skills are also important. It will be nice if you could balance it though. I proud to know that my son has a lot of friends. Your grade is not really good, but still bearable. Knowing that you asked me this question, I felt so proud. That means you have a responsibility with your own life.

“And, you know, my method is way more evil than your friend’s parent. I know your character son. If I scold you directly, you will become a rebel. But, if I telling how hard I worked to paid for your tuition, I know you will feel guilty and do your best to study. Hahaha… But, I guess I put too much trust on you. Your grade is still below the average. Unstable adolescence like you, need an extra attention. I felt guilty because I can’t spend my time with you. But, I have no choice. I should make a living,” his Dad finished giving Jungkook the answer of his question.

It was silence for a while. Jungkook still need a time to digest all the words that his Dad said. He thought about it and felt so relieved. His Dad always been cool and his answer didn’t disappoint him.

“Yeah, you were right. Thanks for answering, Dad. Now, let’s go home,” Jungkook drank the last sip of his hot chocolate.

“Why such a hurry? I want to order another cup,” his Dad refuse.

“Dad, come on! They are about to closed the shop. Let’s go!” Jungkook pulled his Dad’s hands to make him stand up. The rain was still falling. Jungkook hold the umbrella and bring his Dad’s bag. By hearing his Dad’s answer, made him feel proud to have such an amazing parent. He grabbed his Dad’s arm and walked quickly. He suddenly miss the warmness of his home.

Both Jungkook and his Dad were drenched. The rain was getting heavier as they walked home. Mom hand them towels to dry themselves before entering home. Mom told Jungkook to quickly have a bath. She already heated the water. Jungkook followed her mom’s order and immediately run towards the bathroom.

Jungkook went to his room after having a late dinner with his family. He sat on the chair then he felt something wet on his back. He just lean his back on his wet bag. He was panicked and quickly took out all his belonging from his bag. He reached out the bottom of his bag to make sure he took out all of his belonging. His hand touched something that felt like a paper. He took it out. The black envelope with his name written on it. He walked to his bed and lying down. He opened the wet envelope and took out the letter then began to reading it.

Dear Jungkook,

I’m not sure whether you want to spend your precious time reading my letter. But still, I do want to write it. Through this letter, I want to say that I am a big fan of yours. By looking at you, I finally could found my hope again. You were appearing in my toughest time. I envy you. You enjoy your life. You didn’t care about other’s opinion. You believe with yourself. You cherished your friends as much as you cherish yourself.

Sometimes, I purposely got home late only to give me more time to looking at you. I can’t talk to you, I can’t smile with you and I can’t spend my time with you. You didn’t even know my existence. But, by watching you through the window from the shop and secretly hearing you chit chatting with your friends, made me feels like I know a lot about you.

Living as someone who got labeled as a bad kid from someone around you, must be really tough. I can’t fully relate. But I know it was tiring. As someone who got labeled as a kind girl, I also found it really tiring. They keep expecting me to behave like an angel. Sometimes, they will do harmful things but quickly apologize because they thought I will easily forgive them. But, I am a human too. I do feel hurt.

Ah, I am sorry if I was talking about myself too much. Anyway, I am very sorry I can’t give you a fancy gift. I know it was nothing compared to another girls’ gift, but, I hope you could use it well. Although it was simple, but I made it with all my heart. I spent a lot of time to make it. I could say, this is limited edition. And, by giving you this gift, I hope you could break through the stereotype and proof yourself to all the people who labeled you, that you aren’t like what were they thinking.

Regards,

Jungkook immediately stood up. “What’s wrong with this girl? Is she a stalker? She watch me from afar?” Jungkook suddenly got a goosebumps. The thought of himself being watched and followed from afar by random girl was creeps him out. He knew that he was stronger than that girl (in case that girl going to do something harmful), but still, he felt uncomfortable.

He got a mixed feeling between scary and angry. He took the letter again and tried to figure out the name of the sender. But, the sender name was blurred because of the water. He search on his desk, the A5 sized notebook. He opened the page one by one only to found any sign or clue from the sender. But he can’t find anything. His eyes suddenly catch a bright pink colored rose on the back cover. Somehow, that rose was familiar but he can’t recall where he saw it.

***