Unlucky Day

Excuse Me?

Unlucky Day

 

Final exam almost over. Tomorrow was the last day. Chaeyoung was studying in the living room. Preparing for the next day. She can hear the music coming from Jimin’s room. Luckily tomorrow subject was English. Since she was living in Australia during elementary school, she didn’t found any difficulty to learn about English. She only needs to review the exam material. She didn’t need to wait for Jimin to sleep for focusing or went to the playground. After one hours of reviewing the material, she continuing to make a resume for the gift. There was some part left before she finished it. She should finish it tonight because she will give it to him tomorrow after school.

The music suddenly turned off. Chaeyoung went to the bedroom to check on Jimin. Chaeyoung and Jimin were living in the tiny apartment. There was only one bedroom and they were sharing it. Chaeyoung studying in the living room while Jimin studying in their bedroom. Jimin was lying down. He looked so exhausted. He was stuck while trying to understand the physics subjects. Chaeyoung offers him a help to make him understand.

“Sis, can you explain it more slowly?” Jimin was protesting.

“I already explained veeeeryyy slowly and using the simplest language, but you still can’t understand?” Chaeyoung was frustrated.

“How could I understand if you keep scolding me?” Jimin kept blaming her method of teaching.

“I am not scolding you. You are just too slow to understand. If I don’t scold you, you will never understand!” Chaeyoung also blamed his brother.

“Ah, really frustrating! I will figure it out by myself. I won’t ask you to teach me anymore!” Jimin closed his book then lying down.

“Ah, I also don’t want to teach you anymore. It’s so frustrating!” Chaeyoung left the room.

It was always like that. She never succeeded even once when she tried to teach Jimin. They always end up bickering. Although she made up her mind to teach him properly because she felt guilty Jimin can’t go to the cram school. They keep ending up like that.

“Sis, Hoseok want to come here to studying together! He also wants to sleep over,” Jimin shouted from his room.

“It’s fine as long as he asks his parents for permission. And you two should promise me you won’t end up chatting about soccer or game!” Chaeyoung responded from the living room.

Not long after, Hoseok arrived. He joined Jimin to studying in the room. It seems like both of them was doomed. They were hopeless tried to understand it. Hoseok suggesting to ask Chaeyoung for help but Jimin refuse. He said he tried but it didn’t work. Hoseok said they should try it again. It’s better to ask for help rather than become more confused.

“Aaaa so it was like that! It’s easier than I thought!” Hoseok was satisfied because he finally could understand.

“See? I told you it was easy! I tried to explain it to Jimin but he didn’t understand. Even though I teach him more than 10 times,” Chaeyoung quip her brother.

“Hey! You didn’t teach me like this before. You keep scolding me. How can I understand if you were angry even before you explaining? Your explanation also hard to understand,” Jimin was complaining.

“Hoseok, does my explanation hard to understand?” Chaeyoung asked for confirmation.

“No, your explanation was great. I can understand it right away. Wah, I envy Jimin. He has such a great sister like you,” Hoseok didn’t agree with Jimin.

“Yes, you can have her. I wish I could be your sister’s brother instead,” Jimin didn’t give any objection.

“I also want a filial and smart brother like Hoseok,” Chaeyoung also give the same response.

Hoseok was laughing. He found it funny how these siblings keep bickering. After making sure they understand what she just explaining, Chaeyoung left them. She needs to continue her work.

Chaeyoung looking for snacks on the kitchen cabinet but she can’t find any. She was searching for her wallet on her bag. She wants to go to the convenience store to buy some snacks. Snacks are the most needed things to have while studying. She knocked on the bedroom and asked Jimin and Hoseok whether they want to have something to eat. They order the potato chips and some cola. Also sandwich and fried chicken. Chaeyoung scold them by saying she just went to the nearby convenience store and they didn’t sell fried chicken. They were giggling and said anything is fine as long as they can eat it.

Chaeyoung took her hoodie jacket then told them to lock the door. She walked toward the convenience store. Unlucky, the store was closed for a while because they should fix the electricity. She had no choice but to find another store. Chaeyoung walked toward the bus station. It’s quite far but she was willingly going there. She didn’t mind though. She needs to exercise to release his fatigue after sitting down too long.

The store was already seen from afar. She was walking towards the store while called the chicken restaurant and told them to deliver it to the store. She was seeing a familiar face, Namjoon was reading a book in the store’s seat. She was smiling while talking on the phone and about to walk towards him. But, before she arrived, someone already took the seat in front of him. Chaeyoung quickly turned her body. She put on her hoodie then immediately walking into the store. She was choosing the snack while occasionally peeking through the glass wall of the store to check whether Namjoon’s guest was still there. Luckily, that guest didn’t stay for long. She paid for her groceries then she walked towards the seat where Namjoon at.

“Again? One distractor just going, now come another one,” Namjoon took a deep breath.

“What are you doing? Ah, so you are studying in here. As expected from a smart student. Can studying anytime, anywhere. How diligent our Namjoon is,” Chaeyoung opened her coffee can and sipped it.

“Am I having a déjà vu? What are you doing here? Are you supposed to studying? Nah, I can’t believe I said that question twice in less than an hour,” Namjoon keep studying without even looking at Chaeyoung.

“I just finished. I am running out of snack so I’d like to buy some. The store near my home was closed so I come here. Anyway, that guy earlier, is he your friend?” Chaeyoung silently looking towards the book that Namjoon read.

“No, he is my senior. Why? He is handsome, isn’t it? Do you like him? Want me to set you up with him? He is popular among girls, so it may be hard for you,” Namjoon still focused on his book.

“Eeeh?? No, no, I am not. Ww…well, it must be different between all girls and all boys high school. We aren’t close with our senior except if they are in the same club,” Chaeyoung’s face was blushed and she was stuttering at first when she heard Namjoon’s response.

“It is the same as us. I am not close with any senior outside my senior in the soccer club,” Namjoon took the chips on put it in his mouth.

“Woah, so, you are active in club activity?? I am so surprised. You are very smart yet you can manage to participate in the club. I adore you. I heard that your school soccer team are very active and one of the best in this district,” Chaeyoung suddenly remembered something. She opened the browser on her phone and quickly searched for the website that contains the information about Namjoon’s soccer team.

“So what? You thought since I am smart, I am not participating in the club activity? You thought I am just going to school then went straight home? Do you think I am just studying all day long? You know, I hate that stereotyping. The mindset of people who thought club activity could affect your academic performance. And the one who was serious and only thought of club activity was stupid. They only bunch of kids who just did something useless and won’t help them to survive in the future. They only thought kids are only supposed to studying,” Namjoon finally took his eyes off from his book and he stared into Chaeyoung with an annoyed face.

“I didn’t mean to say it like that. I just purely envy for your great time management. And also, I envy them who can freely choose whatever they want to do. I am sorry if you got offended with my words. I do want to get active, but I can’t. There is a lot of reason which makes me frustrating if I recall it,” Chaeyoung was looking into Namjoon’s eyes and apologize sincerely.

The situation became a little awkward between them. Luckily, the delivery-man just came in the right time. Now, she already got her chicken, then she should go back home before the kids fall asleep.

“Want some?” Chaeyoung carefully offered the chicken to Namjoon.

“No, thanks,” he answered.

“Well, I am sorry for earlier. I really didn’t mean to mock you or making any stereotype. Well, good luck for tomorrow exam! I am leaving, first. Don’t go home too late. Don’t make your mom worry,” Chaeyoung said goodbye to Namjoon then with heavy steps, she left him alone.

***

The teacher told her student to pass the exam paper from the back to the front. Chaeyoung raised her arms and stretching. Finally, the exam week officially end. At least she will get some rest. She also finished her last shift in the Mr. Coffee last Saturday. The exam week finished on Wednesday, but it was necessary to come to school until Friday although there is no lesson. Usually, the remaining days before the summer break was used to taking care of the administrative matters, looking for the exam score and register to summer class.

The summer break was one month long. During the first two weeks, the school will hold the special class called summer class. Students are free to join. It kinda likes supplementary class. Students with the score below the standard were obligated to join. If on the first week the passed the exam, they are free from the next week class. But, it’s not limited to students which have a low score although they should be prioritized. Every student is free to join as long as the quota of the class still available. They also can choose the subject they want. Namjoon’s school also had this program too.

The exam was over faster than their usual school time. Most of the girls already had a plan to celebrate the end of the exam. Most of them went to karaoke, eating in the good restaurant or go to shopping But today, Chaeyoung decline her friends offer to hang out. She already had a plan. The plan that she planned from a long time ago. If she didn’t do it now, she didn’t know when she will get the courage to re-plan it again.

Most of her friends already leave the school, including Yerin, Eunha, and Sowon. They gave up to persuade Chaeyoung to tag along. She waved her hand and apologizing non-stop before her friend stepped out from the classroom. She looked into the clock on her phone. It was still early. They only have 1 test subject today. That’s why they already finished on 11. She checked her bag to make sure the gift that she prepared for almost a month was there. Now, she was confused where and how she could give it to him. She didn’t even know when his exam will end!

Only if her friends were here, Chaeyoung could get that information easily. She knows Sowon and Yerin are experts in this field, gathering information. She quickly threw that thought. She can’t tell them anyway. She scrolled the contact on her phone and stop at Namjoon. Namjoon should be known about this. He was a student in that school, too. But, she also didn’t dare to ask him. After what happened last night, they become more awkward. She didn’t have any choice but to wait for him. She packed her bag then accelerating her step before she got late.

Chaeyoung went to snack shop in front of his school. It seems like they haven’t finished the exam. She was waiting while playing with her phone. She was surprised because there was an SNS app on her phone. She didn’t use any SNS that’s why she was surprised. She opened it and found out it was Yerin’s. “Exam was over. Pizza, here I come!” Chaeyoung read a caption from a picture posted by TaeTae. She jumped from her seat, packed her bag then rushing towards the pizza restaurant around here.

She decided to wait in the quiet road. She was hiding in the small space between the buildings. She anxiously looking towards the way he might pass by.  After one hour of waiting, he finally show up. Chaeyoung calmed herself down and tried to gather all of her courage. She stepped out from her hidden place then stand up in front of them.

“Excuse me,” Chaeyoung said while looking towards the ground. She didn’t have enough courage to look into his eyes. Her voice and her hands were trembling.

“Who?” his friends, who just posted a picture asked her.

“Emm… That’s I…,” she was very nervous and made her tongue got stiffed.

 “Huft, again? Hey Kim Mingyu, finish it quickly. I am so hungry,” that guy voice sound annoyed. Chaeyoung confidence dropped out almost 90% after hearing it. She kept looking down. She didn’t even dare to lift her face.

“What? Why should I? I don’t know who she is. I never met her,” the one whose name Mingyu responded. Chaeyoung can’t see Mingyu’s face but she remembered that he often came to Mr. Coffee. Chaeyoung quietly hide her name tag with her hair. She was afraid Mingyu would recognize her.

“Even if you don’t know her, maybe she knows you. Just settle this thing ASAP. We need to feed our empty stomach. You should pay half of the bill if you late 10 minutes after we put our bottom on the restaurant chair,” Jungkook give Mingyu a warning.

Chaeyoung suddenly gained her courage again. She hypnotized herself. This is the last chance. Do it now or never. She won’t meet him again anyway. Remember about the gift that she made with all the effort. You, can do it Chaeyoung. You can do it! Remember, the gift will be meaningless if you didn’t give it to him. Your effort for skipping a nice sleep will be wasted. While she was busy encouraging herself, he already walked away.

 “Jeon Jungkook!” Chaeyoung shouted out his name. She thought she might be passed out as her heart was beating so hard. She was commanding her respiratory system to help her breath normally. She finally gained her energy back to lift her head and finally can look at him. Luckily, he stopped after he heard his name got called.

 “Woaaah, Jeon Jungkook, you are getting more popular this day. As expected from our Captain,” one of his friends who has a dimple .

“Wow, it seems like Jungkook gonna steal Mingyu’s title now,” the food blogger friend whose Instagram ID was Taetae look at Jungkook and smirk.

“You are all too noisy. You guys go first, I will finish it quickly,” Jungkook looked annoyed by all the tease.

All of his friends left him behind. They were giggling in a mysterious way. After his friends walked quite far, he walked closer to her. Chaeyoung can’t control her heart again. The closer he got, the faster her heart beat.

 “What do you want?” he asked coldly.

“Well, hmm… I just…” now, she can’t control . She already thinking what she gonna says but she forgot all of it. She can’t even hear her own voice.

 “I am busy. Just tell me what you want while I am still being nice,” he sounds impatience and showed an annoyed face. Chaeyoung felt so guilty because she was disturbing his schedule. It’s a relieved he want to talked to her. She finally remembered her purpose.

“The thing is… I just want to…,” she opened her bag with her trembling hands. She wasn’t in her right mind. She can’t think rationally whenever he talked to her. She tried very hard to open her bag’s zipped and clumsily looking for a gift that she prepared.

“I like you. That is what do you want to say? I am sorry but I don’t like you. I don’t even know who you are and I don’t have any intention to getting to know you. You got it? Now, just go,”she stopped her hands after hearing his response. It seems like there was a storm on her heart. Unlike before, her heart seems to stop beating. After a few seconds, she managed to get back her sense.

“This! I just want to give you this,” she reached out her hands and gave it to him.

“Why bother to give me this thing. I don’t need it. All the girls are the same. They spent their money to something useless,” he accepted the gift. When Chaeyoung felt he already grab the gift, she released her grip. But, it seems like he hasn’t fully gripped the gift causing the gift was dropped into the ground. She was sure she felt that his hands already grab the gift. She was just staring at the box which lay down pathetically on the ground.

“Stop wasting your time for something like this. Just go home and study,” Jungkook quickly walked away.

Chaeyoung still stiffened on her place. A lot of thought was in her mind. Did he purposely throw it away? Why didn’t he accept it? Of course, he won’t you fool. How can you give a lame gift like that? He even rejected Nayeon’s expensive gift.

Why didn’t he even want to touch it? Did that mean, he hates me? Ah, my effort was wasted. No, but I didn’t have a right to force him to accept it. Why do I become sad? I don’t have rights to get sad anyway. Remember, my purpose was only to give it to him. Once he accepted it, it’s up to him what he would do to that gift. Right. I am right. He already touched it although he dropped it. Which means, he accepted it. Now, it wasn’t mine again.

The thing that already thrown by the owner was called rubbish. Yes, rubbish. And since it already became rubbish, you weren’t allowed to litter. Chaeyoung felt like she already lost her mind. She picked up her gift then walked towards Jungkook then grabbed his arm. She then forcefully put it into his hands. He looked quite shocked by her sudden action. She looked up and causing their eyes to meet. Her face quickly became hotter. She wasn’t sure how red her face is. As soon as their eyes met, she quickly stepped back. She felt like her chest gonna burst.

“I… I don’t care whether you want to accept it or throw it away. I already give it to you, so basically it’s yours. But, even if you want to throw it, please throw in the garbage bin. You shouldn’t litter!” she scolded him. She was surprised a second after. How can she scold him! She was so embarrassed that she automatically didn’t dare to lift her head. She quickly turned around then walked as fast as she can. But, she was stopped in the middle. She felt uneasy because she scolds him out of the blue. She turned back then gave him a 90° bow as the sign to apologize although she didn’t say anything, then run away.

Chaeyoung arrived at the bus station and sitting down on the bench, waiting for the bus. She was reminiscence what happened earlier. As she remembers, she felt more and more embarrassed. How can she scold him not to litter? It was like she didn’t have anything better to say. Although she felt embarrassed, somewhere in her heart, she was feeling relieved. Well, at least, once in her lifetime, she could speak with him. It so embarrassing but she shouldn’t worry because she won’t meet him again anyway.

 The next day, although they weren’t obligated to come to school, most of the students were present. The reason is, they want to see their exam result and registered to summer class if their score was below 50. They want to take care of it as soon as possible so they don’t need to come on Friday.

Before lunch, the teacher finally walks out from the teacher room while bringing a pile of paper in her hand. She walked towards the student board and began to paste that paper on the board. The students were waiting patiently after she finished paste all the paper. Once she finished, she smiled at the student then quickly left. In a second, the students already gathered in front of the board like a zombie. Some of them taking a picture and send it to their class group chat.

“It’s here, it’s here!!” Yuju screamed as she looked into her phone screen. Everyone also does the same. They were staring at their own phone. A minute later, the class became noisy. The class filled with the students’ reactions. Some of them were sad because they should attend the summer class, some of them were happy as they could have one month break. After they were seeing their position, they began to look who was the one who got the first rank. The top rankers always got their name revealed. But, for the bottom 100, there was only their test number shown.

Chaeyoung took a deep sigh as she saw her name was still in the first on the list. Her classmates congratulate her for become the first for 3 consecutive semesters. She thanked them. Yuju also congratulated her for beating her again. A message popped out on her phone screen. She opened it. It was from Yuju. “Meet me in the clinic now. Don’t let Eunha, Yerin or Sowon know.  I have something to tell you.”

Chaeyoung was confused at first but she remembered Yuju said she has something to say once the exam was over. Now, she should find a way to escape from her friends. She pretended to throw garbage. Luckily, her friends weren’t paid a special attention. She quickly runs over to the clinic.

She knocked on the door then coming in. Yuju was there sitting on the chair in front of nurse desk. She took a seat on the patient bed.

“First, I’d like to congratulate you once again for beating me in the last 3 semesters. Only if my English score a little bit better. I can take the 1st rank,” Yuju congratulated her once again.

“But I never can beat your almost perfect score in Math. Our Math goddess was hard to beat,” Chaeyoung response to Yuju’s joke.

Both of them were laughing but then they become silence. Chaeyoung was waiting for Yuju to speak. But, she can’t wait any longer because her friends might get suspicious is she was gone too long.

“So, what is the thing that you want to tell me?” Chaeyoung became curious.

“Well, you know I was uncertain whether I should tell you or not. But, judging from my personality, I decided to tell you. But, as I think, again and again, it was your choice whether you want to know or not. It might hurt you, do you still want to know? You have the right to choose,” Yuju speak carefully. It wasn’t like her who always speaks confidently.

Chaeyoung never saw this side of Yuju. Usually, she will speak up what in her mind. No matter it will hurt someone who hears it. This matter seems to trouble her a lot. Chaeyoung didn’t want to burden her. Judging from how eager she was to tell Chaeyoung. She even hold it until the exam was over. Chaeyoung also curious. Yuju said it might hurt her. Well, she already got hurt yesterday, anyway. Get hurt again won’t be a special deal.

“I don’t want to make you feel burdened. So, tell me. What is it that you want to say? I will bear all the risk. Don’t need to feel sorry,” Chaeyoung finally told Yuju her decision.

“Your notebook, it was being sold with high price among students. It seems like your last year notebook because it was popular among the 10th grade students,” Yuju told her.

Chaeyoung was silence for a while. So did Yuju.

“Ah, so they sell it. Do you perhaps know, who the one who sell it?” Chaeyoung asked.

“I don’t know about it. I found out about it from my friend from another school. We went to the same cram school. She told me her juniors were going crazy by buying a pricey copied notebook. When I saw it, I can tell right away it was yours,” Yuju explained.

“Hey, may I know why did you hesitate to tell me about this? You even wait until the exam was over and tell me privately. It is so unusual. You always speaks up in front of everyone whether it will hurt that person or not. But now, you even asked me whether I want to know or not,” Chaeyoung suddenly changed the topic. She seems like she was more interested in Yuju’s reason than the culprit who sell her notebook.

“That’s because… I knew it will be hurt when your notebook was copied by other people. You put a lot of effort to make them. While you were sacrificing your sleeping time, your chatting time, your play time to make it, they who could enjoy their free time easily borrow your book, copying it, learn from it then get a good score. As for me, I will feel angry and depressed. That’s why I decided not to tell you before the exam. I am afraid it will affect you,” Yuju replied Chaeyoung’s question.

“You know it will hurt me, but why you decided to tell me?” it seems like Chaeyoung still didn’t get the answer that she wanted.

“That’s because I think you will be fine. You know, you were known as angel. You are too kind. So I think, you will forgive anyone who did it to you. And, you will let it be,” Yuju was hesitated while she answering.

“I got it. Thank you for telling me. I appreciate it so much. I am sorry if this matter gives you a burden. I am happy that you are considering my situation. I am so grateful,” Chaeyoung thanked her.

“Never mind. Anyway, I know it is a good thing to live as a nice person. But, you can’t keep living like that. This world is too cruel. You can’t survive if you live like that. You are too naïve. Well, I guess I need to go now,” Yuju gave her an advice and preparing to leave.

“Thanks. Hey, Yuju, I know you know who was the person who leaked my notebook. Thanks for pretending not to know. Don’t feel so guilty. Actually, I… I knew it from a long ago,” Chaeyoung tell her about the truth. Yuju just standing in front of the door while hearing it. She then left the clinic without saying anything.

So, it was true. Chaeyoung didn’t want to believe it, but she needs to. No, no, no. Eunha probably the one who borrow her book. But, it didn’t mean that Eunha was the one who sell it. Yes, there is a possibility like that. But, why it could be in someone else hand? Should Eunha told Chaeyoung first if she want to lend it to her friend?

Chaeyoung can’t stop thinking about any possible scenario. The more she thinks about it, the more she got a headache. She lay down on the bed. She looks towards the ceiling. Let say Eunha was the one who sell it. What should she felt? Angry? Sad? Upset? She didn’t sure. In this situation, should she supposed to feel hurt and betrayed? But why she didn’t feel hurt? Rather than hurt or angry, she felt so empty. She didn’t feel anything. Ah, maybe because she already lose her sense.

She closed her eyes and tried to empty her mind. Before she completely calm her mind down, her phone was vibrating. She looked into the caller ID. Unknown number. But she picked it up.

“Hello, yes I am the guardian of Park Jimin. Yes. Yes. I am his sister. Ah, Jimin’s teacher. But, what’s going on? Pardon? Jimin has a fight with his friend? Ah, okay. Okay. Right now? I am sorry, but I am at school right now. Can I come when the school is finished? No? His friend’s mom wants to meet me now? Okay, okay. Thank you so much for telling me. Yes, good afternoon,” Chaeyong hung up the phone call. She was very worried. Jimin never picked a fight with his friend but why so sudden. And it seems like a big fight since his friend’s mom want to meet her right now.

Chaeyoung ever heard, once in your lifetime, there is a day when you become very unlucky and it will make you feel like you are the most pathetic person in the world. But, now, she thought it isn’t only for one day. Maybe it could happen in two consecutive days or even every day. It so hard till you thought your life was cursed.