Reunion

Excuse Me?

“It’s only 20 stairs left. Don’t give up! You can do it Roseanne!!” the never-ending stairs made Chaeyoung short of breath. She held the railing, looked at the clock on her phone, and decided to take a break since she still had enough time before the appointment. She was sitting on the stair, organize her breath, and gave massage to her calves. She regretted that she wore high heels boots. She forgot that Mingyu’s temple was located on the mountain. While she was still resting her feet, Mingyu asked about her whereabouts through a message. Chaeyoung replied by saying she will arrive in 15 minutes.

“HAHAHA… What are you doing there?” Mingyu was standing at the end of the stair and laughed at her not long after she replied to his text. Looking at Chaeyoung exhausted and annoyed face he walked down to pick her up. He sat next to her and still smiling that annoyed her more.

“So, it’s enough? You won’t mad at me again, right?” Chaeyoung asked Mingyu who was still showing a mocking smile.

“I am sorry about that day. I didn't have any intention to pretend not to know you. That day, I was just… I am not in the mood to chit-chatting. I have come all the way here so… You forgive me, right?” Chaeyoung apologized for the incident that happened a month ago. One day before the Suneung test, she met him, Nayeon, and his friends in the café and pretending not to know him so that the conversation would cut short. Actually, at that time, she didn’t think Mingyu would mind it but two days ago when she accidentally met him, he acted like he didn’t know her. He also talked to her with formal language that made her uncomfortable. She knew Mingyu was the type who easily got sulky but what’s even worse was he never told her what she did wrong!

On the way back home, she couldn’t help but think about it. Then right after she remembered she called Mingyu right away but he was still sulky until yesterday when he called her back. He said he was still hurt at her treatment that day but he will forgive her if she would do his favor. He offered her to work part-time as a translator for the foreign guest that will come to the temple. The monk who supposed to be a translator was attending a conference and his professor suddenly invited him to attend a meeting with his friend to discuss his dissertation. He will be late for two hours from the original appointment time so Mingyu asked Chaeyoung for help to fill in those two hours. Chaeyoung agreed right away because the job wasn’t hard and she could reconcile with Mingyu.

“What are you talking about? I never mad at you from the beginning. Why are you taking all the things seriously? I just joking around,” Mingyu was smiling because she took his joke seriously.

“How can’t I take this seriously? You know what? I hate it when I did something wrong to someone and they are mad at me. Stop joking around with my feeling. Besides, I know I was wrong so I feel uneasy,”

“You know what? Your cute reaction is the reason why I loved to tease you. Anyway, I am sorry if you taking this seriously. I know I am not supposed to joke with someone else feeling. So, let’s call it even. Do your legs okay? We should hurry because the guest is waiting,” Mingyu stood up and lead the way to the temple.

Although her legs were refusing, she didn’t have a choice but to follow Mingyu. Finally, after spending lots of energy, she arrived at the temple. Lucky for her it’s winter so that she didn’t sweat a lot after climbing hundreds of stairs. When she arrived at the temple, the head monk and the guest already waited for her. She apologized for being late but they told her she wasn’t. The guest just arrived too early.

After finishing their tea, the head monk led the guest to tour around the temple. The head monk was explaining about the activity they did on each building. Chaeyoung had a task to translate what he said to the guest. It was hard at first because there was some term the Head Monk used that Chaeyoung not familiar with. That was why sometimes before explaining, she asked Mingyu about it first. Since she wasn’t a professional translator, she was facing difficulty at first, but it didn’t take long because she was rapidly adapted to it and able to translate it smoothly.

Two hours had passed and the head monk decided to take a break. They were heading to the red gazebo located a bit deep in the forest. Although it was in the mountain and it still winter, the gazebo was warm because of the heater they prepared beforehand. When they arrived there was already a monk who just pouring the hot tea to the cups. They thanked him then took a seat on the gazebo. For a while, they were all just remain silent, sipping their tea, and enjoying nature. Living in a busy city made them appreciate and enjoy this peace. It’s so rare to find this kind of view in their everyday life. This moment was also the moment when Chaeyoung could rest after being busy translating from and for the head monk and the guest.

Unlike the last two hours, the conversation’s topic was lighter now. The guest was curious about Mingyu and asked him why he chose to become a Buddhist monk. Chaeyoung smiled then translated it to the Head Monk and Mingyu. Chaeyoung was looking at Mingyu waiting for him to answer. Surprisingly, Mingyu was answering with English. Mingyu was not confident with his English skill but after seeing Chaeyoung talking fluently, he was triggered to try talking too. Sometimes he was stuttered and couldn’t find the word and that time, Chaeyoung would help him and the guest would wait for him patiently to finish his words. Looking at how Mingyu was doing his best to communicate made the Head Monk was smiling proudly.

“Ah, so you are not preparing to be a monk. You are just doing the temple stay. How about you Ms. Park?” asked the guest who was a theology student and currently working on his thesis.

“Me? Well... Actually... I happened to be here to become a translator. And… I am not a Buddhist. I am a Christian,” Chaeyoung answered awkwardly and it made the Head Monk and Mingyu smiled.

“Woah! It is a very beautiful friendship that you have! I am so happy to hear that,” the guest amazed by that fact. Even though they had different religion they were still helping each other. It was so beautiful.

The conversation became more interesting as the guest was explaining briefly about his thesis. Right after he finished, another monk came wearing casual clothes, not a robe. Mingyu was standing and came and greet him. The monk who just came was the one who supposed to be a translator. He apologized for being late and thanked Chaeyoung for her help.

Since the monk arrived, Chaeyoung then excused herself from that event. The Head Monk told Mingyu to walk her back to the temple. Chaeyoung politely refused by saying she could ging back alone.

“Miss Chaeyoung, do you know that there are lots of evil spirits in the mountain? It still daylight but I am afraid you can get lost. Mingyu will help and guide you back to the temple safely,” the Head Monk so that she wouldn’t feel burdened.

Hearing the word evil spirit which was the other name of ghosts made her changed her mind quickly. She couldn’t hide her scared expression that made all of them laugh. Mingyu get down from the gazebo, wore his sandals bowed to the guest and the monks then walked ahead of Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung also said her goodbye, excuse herself then immediately catch Mingyu up. She didn’t want to get lost in the mountain.

The ground was a bit slippery because the soil was frozen. Chaeyoung who wear heels boots had to be extra careful when she walked. She almost fell several times. While she was struggling to walk normally, Mingyu was offering help by reach his hand out. Chaeyoung saw it and looked at Mingyu with a strange expression.

“Hold my hand. The soil is slippery. I don’t want you to slip and fall,” Mingyu quickly explaining the meaning behind his hand so that she won’t misunderstand it.

“Oh thank you. I appreciate your help. But, I think, it feels impropriate if we are seen holding hands in here. Well, I don’t want to fall too but still… since it is still in the temple area so…,” Chaeyoung felt it was wrong for them to holding hand although he was just tried to help her.

“I believe they will understand. But… I kind of understand what you mean… So… Let’s just walk slowly like what we did when we came here,” Mingyu respecting Chaeyoung’s opinion.

Before, when she was heading to the gazebo, they were walking slowly to keep the pace with the head monk and also to adoring this beautiful scenery. But now they were walking at their normal pace but it was dangerous for Chaeyoung who wore heels boots. Besides slowing down his step, Mingyu was not walking ahead of her instead he walked beside her. He did that to become a moving pole whenever she was about to lose her balance.

“I think… I could understand why the girls are crazy over you,” Chaeyoung started the conversation. It seems like they would need a longer time to reach the temple at this speed so that she decided to talk to make it less long. Besides, nature’s sound suddenly became scary as the presence of the sun was slowly gone.

“What is it?” Mingyu was curious. He heard about this theory a lot from his female friends. But he was curious about her thought.

Chaeyoung said Mingyu was born with a special charm. Even if he didn’t do anything he was so attractive. Moreover, the combination of his handsome face, great body proportion, well mannered, and easy-going personality made him even more attractive. He was like a magnet that could pull people to fall in love with him.

“So, are you falling into my special charm too?” asked Mingyu. He expected something unordinary from her answer but he was slightly disappointed because she gave a similar answer to the other girls.

“Honestly, at first, yes. I admit that you are so attractive. But, I am not falling into your charm in a romantic way like the other girls,” Chaeyoung chuckled as she heard his question.

Suddenly Mingyu stopped walking. He then bent his body down so that his eyes were at the same level as her. Slowly he moved forward so that her face only one palm away from her. His sudden action made Chaeyoung surprised and not moving. She even held her breath. They stay like that for around five seconds and it was ended by Mingyu who pulled his face away while smiling naughtily.

“You said you don’t fall into my charm yet your face is gotten all red,” Mingyu was grinning.

“Anyone would get red if you suddenly put your face right in front of them,” surprisingly there was no change in her tone despite her red face. Mingyu could tell she was telling the truth. Her reaction said it all. She didn’t move and didn’t blink. Her face was easily got red so that it was her natural response. He thought he finally found a girl that could be safe to keep as a friend. Until this time, his close same age female friends were always turned out to have feelings for him. That was why he always kept a distance and didn’t want to involve too deep in opposite gender friendship.

“Ah, I failed. I think I should level up my flirting tactic. All this time you are not falling into my flirt and I am a bit disappointed,” Mingyu was joking and teasing her again.

Chaeyoung who heard it was laughing. She said she didn’t know he was trying to flirt with her. Whether she was too slow-witted or she didn’t fall into it at all so she didn’t realize it. She tried to recall when he was trying to flirt but she couldn’t. Luckily, she rarely met him so that the time they spent together was so little. She tried to find the clue by putting the time they were together in sequence and guessing which part of it that he considered as flirting

“After flashbacking to the time we spent together. Sadly, I can’t recall which part of your actions that considered flirting. If what you mean with the flirting are… coming to my busking, giving the advice to choose the shoes, or giving me a hat and most recently… lending your hand so that I won’t slip then… Hahaha… Come on, don’t kidding! It’s not even counted as a flirt. It’s just… isn’t that what you normally do?” Chaeyoung was laughing at her theory. Judging from Mingyu’s reaction it seems like she was right.

“Yes. I did the bare minimum and yet I still can steal a woman’s heart. Ah, I guess you are truly one of a kind. You don’t fall into it,” Mingyu felt a bit shy getting laughed at.

Having a conversation indeed made the time felt shorter. Now, they almost arrived at the temple. As soon as they reached the temple, Chaeyoung immediately sat down on the terrace and took off her boots. It’s tiring. She had to rest her feet. While Chaeyoung was resting, Mingyu went inside and not long after came out with one teapot and two cups. He poured the tea and gave the cup to Chaeyoung so that she could warm her body and quench her thirst.

“You know. There is something that keeps bothering me,” Chaeyoung put her teacup then moved her body so that she was facing Mingyu who was sitting next to her. Mingyu saw her with a confused face. For a few seconds, Chaeyoung didn’t continue her sentence. She was just staring at Mingyu and looking hesitant.

“It’s okay you can tell me about it. I promise I won’t feel offended,” Mingyu seemed to know it was a sensitive issue she was about to brought up so that he ensured her he was okay.

“Don’t you mind being called a flirt?” Chaeyoung asked carefully. She adjusted her tone so that she would sound innocent.

Mingyu wasn’t expecting that question. He didn’t answer right away because he needed some time to think. This question was dangerous. He should be careful about his answer. He must know her motive first so that he could give his answer.

“Why?” asking another question to answer a question was his best tactic to know about the direction of this topic.

Chaeyoung then said she felt uncomfortable hearing his nickname because it has a negative connotation. Besides, he wasn’t a flirt. If what they said as being flirty were his actions like opening the door, walking on the outer side, opened the water bottle or lending his hand to help a friend who faces difficulty to walk, so they were wrong. She thought that kind of action was him being a well-mannered and polite gentleman. It couldn’t be counted as flirting. It’s a different case if the girls fall in love with him because of that manner. It’s his charm. But, he didn’t mean to do it to flirt with them.

“Also, I am afraid you will start to think of yourself as a flirt although you are not. It’s the scariest thing for being labeled by people. Of course, I know you are the types who not bother with people’s opinions. But, I am sure, no matter how strong you are, you can’t help but think about what people say about you even for a little. I don’t want you to accept it and normalize what people said to you. I don’t want you to think it’s okay to do it, I am a flirt anyway. I don’t want people to misunderstand you,” Chaeyoung let out her worries.

Mingyu didn’t say anything even after she finished. He calmly sipped on his tea and staring at the wood. He was smiling when he replayed what she said to him. He felt so touched. It was very sweet of her. But it’s not surprising because he already expects this character. After drank all the tea, he put his cup down on the tray.

“The world is unfair for us, don’t you think? I just want to make people happy by giving a bit more attention but they said I am flirting. You just live your life as a kind and sweet girl, but they said you are dumb by being too kind. It’s funny. I don’t know what we supposed to live our life. When we were a kid, our parents and teacher taught us to be kind to others, but what we got by doing that is a mockery. I can’t tell you exactly what I feel, whether I am okay with that or not because me, myself also don’t know about it. But, one thing for sure. I don’t mind about it because having one person knowing about the truth is enough for me,” finally after being silent for a while, Mingyu spoke up for himself.

“But, I am not okay with that,” Chaeyoung was still trying to change Mingyu’s mind. She still couldn’t accept the label they gave Mingyu without knowing his true intention.

Mingyu was giggling at her reaction. He then told her to not worry. He didn’t care about what other people think, he would continue to live like that because it wasn’t a bad thing. Moreover, he frequently visited the temple so that he could learn how to control himself. He promised her he would try his best for not getting affected by the negative image people said about him. Hearing his reason made her finally breathe in ease. She knew it was hard, but she should trust him.

Looking at the clock on her phone made her realize she should be going home now. Mingyu still had to accompany the guest and yet she made him stay. After emptying her teacup, she quickly put on her boots and got ready to leave. She stood up and told him she would be leaving now. Mingyu told her to wait for him because he wanted to walk her to the front gate. Chaeyoung refused politely by saying she won’t be lost here. She knew the way to the gate. Mingyu was resisting to walk her out because it wasn’t polite for the host to let the guest walked outside by themselves. Chaeyoung gave up and wait for him. He went inside the temple then came out in less than one minute.

“Chaeyoung, can I ask you a question?” Mingyu suddenly asked her when they were on their way to the front gate. Chaeyoung nodded. She felt it was weird of him for asking her permission first. This question must be a sensitive topic.

“Why do you like Jungkook?” asked Mingyu. Chaeyoung was a bit surprised because she didn’t expect this question.

“Why are you curious about that?” Chaeyoung tried to avoid answering that question.

“Nothing. I am just wondering. Why Jeon Jungkook was letting go that amazing girl. If I were him, I won’t let that happen,” said Mingyu while showing a regretting face.

“So, you really leveling up the flirting game, huh? Nice try, but I won’t fall for that cheesy line,” Chaeyoung was feeling shy but she was hiding it by laughed it away. Luckily, Mingyu finished that topic and didn’t bring it up again.

Finally, they arrived at the front gate but Mingyu kept walked her out till the stairs. Before she left, Mingyu took out a white envelope from his pocket. He handed it to her and said it was her payment. Chaeyoung refused by saying she was doing it for free because she wanted to help him. Mingyu then grabbed her wrist and put the envelope on her hand. She should accept it because he clearly stated it was a job, not help. Because it was a job she should get her payment. She also did well on her job and she deserved it. The temple was professional so that no matter who she was, they will still pay her with the same amount as the professional translator.

Although she was purely just wanted to help Mingyu and had thought to get a payment, she still accepted it to respect them. It will be rude if she refused. When she held the envelope, she was surprised at the thickness of the envelope. She then opened it and even more surprised at the amount she received.

“Wow, thank you, I don’t expect to get this much. Thank you for offering this job. If you have another job vacancy like this, please inform me,” Chaeyoung put back the money into the envelope and put it on his bag.

“Really? I have a job vacancy now. Would you like to apply? I can offer you a nice payment,” Mingyu excitedly offering her a new job.

“Hmm… It sounds interesting. Let’s hear about it first, shall we?”

***

“Jungkook come down! Lunch is ready!” Jungkook’s mom shouted from downstairs.

“Yeah, I am coming!” Jungkook replied from his bedroom while busy packing some books to his backpack. He went down and saw his Mom was already waiting for him at the dinner table.

Seeing her son bringing a backpack made her ask him whether he wanted to go somewhere. He said he wanted to meet up with his friends after he finished lunch. While they were eating, his Mom asked him again what he brought on his backpack. It was unusual for him. Whenever he went out, he only brought his phone and wallet with him. Jungkook looked at his backpack then said he was going to study. He and his friends were forming a study group and planned to meet every Saturday. Hearing his answer made her Mom smile.

“Why are you smiling, Mom? Are you that happy because finally, your son is going to study?” Jungkook was dissing himself.

“No… I am just happy because you are surrounded by good friends. It’s so hard to find friends like them. So, you’d better treat them well and cherish them. You won’t find another one like them again,” said her Mom. His Mom's answer made him shy but also proud.

While they were eating, Jungkook told his Mom about the history of this study group. He said Mingyu pitying him because of his bad score during the midterm test. Since he was helpless if he studying by himself, so he decided to form a study group so everyone could study together. Mingyu even invited his friend who was working as a part-time tutor. This friend was smart and he was the one who will act as their tutor. They were now in third grade so instead of hanging out without reason, it’s better to meet up and studying together.

Finishing their lunch, Jungkook stacked all the plates and utensils together then brought it to the kitchen sink. He then washed the dishes although his Mom told him not to. He insisted and told his Mom to rest. She cooked his lunch so he at least should do the dishes. His mom gave up and let him do it. She then went to the living room and turn on the TV. She was proud because she raised a good son.

Jungkook dried his hands with the towel then took his backpack he put on the dining chair. He made sure his phone was already in his pocket then walked to the door. He said goodbye to his Mom and then heading quickly towards the bus station. He was running a bit late because of the dishes.

Ten minutes passed the appointed time was the time he arrived at the café. He pushed the glass door and scanning the room. He couldn’t find his friends. He saw his phone and read Mingyu’s message. He told him they were on the second floor. Jungkook was climbing the stair and as soon as he arrived on the second floor, he could see a big table in the corner filled with familiar faces. It seems like they all already arrived and he was the only one who was late. From the place he was standing, he could also saw two other people, or more precisely two other girls. One of them was Nayeon but he couldn’t recognize the other one because he only saw her back. Mingyu finally saw him then waved at him. He waved back and quickly walked toward them.

Jungkook apologized for being late and took a seat beside Mingyu. He saw the girl’s face and he was very surprised. He didn’t want the others to notice the change of his expression so that he tried so hard to maintain his straight face expression. Luckily, he didn’t sit right in the opposite of the girl so that he won’t have to face her directly.

“So, finally everyone is here. It’s time to introduce you to each other,” Mingyu officially opened their meeting.

“Okay, so let me introduce you guys first with my amazing friend. It’s not your first time to meet her, but I will introduce you again. She is Park Chaeyoung the one who will become your tutor. She is very smart and more than just capable to become our tutor. I can’t mention her achievement because it will take forever. In short, you should be grateful because she agreed to be here,” Nayeon introduced Chaeyoung to the members of the study group because she knew Chaeyoung must be shy.

“Yes, I remember. That time on Apgujong café, right?” Taehyung asked her.

“Taehyungie, Dokyeomie, right?” Chaeyoung mentioned their name to prove them she still remembered.

“You are right! Ah, Jungkook wasn’t there before. He is Jungkook, our captain. It might be your first time to meet him,” just like Nayeon, Dokyeom represents Jungkook to introduce himself. Hearing his name being mentioned made him looked at Dokyeom.

“What do you mean? It’s not their first time though,” Nayeon correcting Dokyeom and it made them look at Nayeon curiously, Jungkook wasn’t an exception. His heart was beating so fast. He was wondering what will Nayeon said. He was afraid, back on that day, Nayeon was happened to seeing them together.

“Don’t tell me you already forget. She is the one who walked you to the cheerleader club room. You know, that time when you waited for me at the school gate. Remember?” Nayeon tried to wake Jungkook’s memory.

“Ah right, that time,” Jungkook breathe in relief after hearing it. He was afraid Nayeon would mention something that happened in the past. Luckily she didn’t know about anything about his past.

The introduction section finally finished and they were continued with the methods of how they gonna running this study club. Overall, the studying methods were pretty much the same as when Jungkook was studying with her. She would give problems and they will do it then discuss the answers. For warming up and to measure their ability, she handed out an example problem papers of the mid-semester test.

Chaeyoung set the limit to 30 minutes. They were all religiously working on their paper, except for one person. Jungkook stared at the paper and although he just did his mid-term test a few weeks ago, he completely forgot about what he learned. He looked at his surrounding and it seemed like everyone could answer it. His eyes then stopped at Chaeyoung but quickly he moved it away. He was back at his paper again, but his mind wasn’t thinking about how to answer the question. He was busy questioning himself with another topic.

Why she was here? Who made her become the tutor? No, more importantly, how can she show up here? Did she forget about what she did to me last year? Where did she get the braveness to show up in front of me like this? Moreover, she doesn’t look bothered. It felt like she just met me for the first time here. Is she having amnesia? It’s weird. She wasn’t looked the same as he saw her last year. Now, she looked more confident and not shy at all. Perhaps she had double personalities?

Jungkook back to reality after Mingyu shook his shoulder. Once he got his conscious back, he saw his friends' eyes were on him. Taehyung asked whether he finished his work because he already daydreaming. He said he hasn’t. They then breathe in relief because they thought since he recently did the mid-term test so the questions were too easy for him. Got a little distracted, now they were continued focusing on doing the questions.

Even before the timer on Chaeyoung’s timer was beeping, they already finished the problems. The problems weren’t hard. It was mostly multiple-choice questions. Chaeyoung mentioned the answer key and they were all checking their answer. After that, the papers were collected and Chaeyoung was looking at their essay questions. Finished checking the answer, she then announced the result. They had a good understanding of the materials except for one person, Jungkook.

“Jungkook, what do you think?” Dokyeom asked Jungkook who was distracted by his phone. He didn’t hear what they were talking so he just stared at Dokyeom looking so lost.

“From this result, I suggest you do more practice than your friends. Is that okay with you?” Chaeyoung repeated the question that Jungkook missed.

It’s a habit. Jungkook always instinctively looking at the eyes of the person he talked too. And that moment was the first time they were making eye contact at their meeting today, or more precisely a year after he saw her. Looking at how casual she acted made him a bit pissed so that he quickly moved back to his phone.

“Do whatever you want,” he replied coldly. His reply made everyone was in dead silence.

“HAHAHA… Chaeyounga, please forgive his rude behavior. He doesn’t mean it. It’s just he isn’t comfortable around girls since he doesn’t have many female friends. Please forgive him and I begged for your understanding,” Dokyeom apologized to Chaeyoung because he was very shocked at the way Jungkook spoke.

Jungkook knew they were now staring at him. But, he didn’t care. He couldn’t pretend he was okay in front of her. He should show her he wasn’t comfortable. The notification appeared on top of his screen. He saw it was from Nayeon.

Act rude again towards her. You are dead. You might ever hurt me once, but you are NOT ALLOWED to hurt her even if it’s a single scratch.

Jungkook took a glance at Nayeon and saw her was staring at him like she was ready to punch him in the face. He then noticed that she pointed out her thumb then slowly moved it in the straight line in front of her neck. She sent him a threat. He admitted what he did to Nayeon was his fault but this time, it wasn’t. There was no reason for him to treat Chaeyoung well after what she did to him.

Jungkook was blinded by hate so that he couldn’t hear what she was saying. Afraid his friend would smell something and end up digging his past he decided to get away from there by escaping to the toilet. He was intentionally walking at the slowest speed so that he could buy more time. He went inside and stood in front of the hand-washing sink and staring at his reflection. He washed his hands dried it and back to staring at the mirror. He was angry at himself. Why he was the only one who felt bothered? At first, he thought he should show her how much he hates her, but now he realized it wasn’t the best revenge. Instead, he should act unbothered and treat her like he never knew her before. That way, he will appear cooler because he could create an image that she was nothing for him. She was completely gone and he didn’t want to pay her any attention.

Realized he spent more time in the toilet than he normally does, he decided to go back. He didn’t want people to think he was taking a dump because it took him too long. When he got back, the two girls weren’t there. Taehyung told him they were leaving first once he sat down on his seat. They both already had an appointment today. Besides, since it was just a kick-off meeting, they didn’t actually study. It will start next week.

Mingyu was asking their opinion about her. Dokyeom and Taehyung were having the same opinion. They like her. She was very kind, easy-going, and the way she explains everything was clear. She seems like she would be a great teacher. Mingyu then asked Jungkook and Jungkook just said he didn’t know. He would just follow whatever decision they will make. So then, Mingyu decided they were all agreed to start this project. After that, Dokyeom asked their permission to leave first because he had an appointment. His friends were smiling suspiciously and gave their permission. The three of them were staying for another hour before they decided to go home.

The three friends were separated at the bus station. Before the bus come, Jungkook sent a text to Mingyu asking him to stay because he had something to discuss. He was then looking at Mingyu and with his eyes, he told him too looked at his phone. Mingyu read it and suddenly he had a bad feeling about it. Taehyung’s bus arrived first and it made Jungkook happy but Mingyu not.

“Don’t you have something to say to me?” Jungkook asked Mingyu as soon as the bus departed. Mingyu already expected it. He knew Jungkook wanted to confront him the time he got the messages.

“About what? I have a lot of things to tell but I am not sure which one,” Mingyu decided to play dumb. He knew he had a smooth-talking talent. He was confident he could escape Jungkook’s interrogation with his word game.

Jungkook stared at Mingyu who was smiling innocently. This friend was incredible. Maybe it was because he socialized with lots of people so it easy for him to read people’s characters. Moreover, they were so close so that he already knew his weakness. Jungkook knew Mingyu will use his smooth-talking ability to avoid this topic. Without a doubt, he would lose against him. But, just like Mingyu, he also knew Mingyu’s weakness and he planned to use it to win over him.

“That girl, are you close with her?” Jungkook threw the bait.

“I am close with all my friends you know. I am not the type who discriminate people by saying how close I am to them. Why?” Mingyu was successfully escaping the first bait.

“No, I am just glad. You seem to not very close to her. That’s great,” his first was not working so he decided to let out his ultimate weapon. He threw a short ambiguous statement that made Mingyu curious about his thought.

“Why?” although Mingyu knew it’s just Jungkook’s trap, he purposely fell into it.

“To tell you the truth, I knew her. And to put it simply, I hate her. She is not like what she looks like. You should be careful. It’s even better if you stop hanging with her. Oh, your bus is here. Take care,” it’s perfect timing. The bus came once Jungkook finished his speech.

“You are not getting in?” Jungkook pretended to be dumb by asking Mingyu who purposely missed the bus.

Mingyu chuckled after he heard it. Jungkook was indeed his best friend. He knew exactly what his weakness was. Mingyu truly hated it when people misunderstand his acquaintances. It’s obvious that Jungkook purposely saying that harsh things to lure him to telling the truth. Of course, not only he was curios how far Mingyu knew about them, but also to ensure it’s only Mingyu who knew about them.

“It’s so cold. Let’s go grab some hot chocolate,” Mingyu dragged Jungkook away to the nearby café to have further conversation. This kind of conversation wasn’t supposed to talk in the public space where there were so many ears and eyes. They might don’t know those people around them, but who knows one of those people knows them. If they happened to overhear, the gossips will be all over the school.

The café they chose was so cozy. There were not so many people there despite it was still afternoon which was the perfect time to enjoy warm tea or coffee. Mingyu purposely chose the seat in the corner so that he can watch the other costumers. Once he saw the familiar face, he could immediately stop this sensitive conversation.

“So, since when did you know about this?” Jungkook asked him right away after the waitress came and served their hot chocolate.

Mingyu smiled as Jungkook didn’t do the intro instead he jumped right to the point. Mingyu sipped his hot chocolate. Its warmness helped him organized the story he was about to tell. He should be careful because once he said the wrong part it’s over for both him and Chaeyoung. Mingyu put his cup back to the table, leaning his back, put his hands together then smiled. He looked at Jungkook’s curious and angry eyes then began to tell his story.

It started from last year, more precisely when Jungkook suddenly got the almost perfect score in Math test. There was something unusual. Jeon Jungkook who was popular for his bad grade suddenly got the almost perfect score was something that can shake the whole school. He believed Jungkook not cheating, he knew he was studying diligently. But, how? It was still a mystery until he smelled something fishy from him.

During the remedial test, where they were busy practicing for Spring Tournament, Jungkook always got home right on time. It’s so unusual for him that was known as the most passionate member. What even more fishy was the way he dressed. Mingyu could notice something different from the way he styled his clothes and hair. He even put cologne that he rarely did. It’s even weirder because Mingyu only found those kinds of behavior on the member who secretly dating. But, he didn’t believe Jungkook was dating someone. He was a responsible captain. He won’t do something against the rules and became a bad example to his friends and juniors. The clues hadn’t complete so he just only assumed Jungkook met a girl but he didn’t know what was the purpose.

To cut it short, he finally completed the clues and solved the puzzle on that one day. The day when he watched a movie with Jaehyun. That day he saw Chaeyoung and also Jungkook. It’s not strange because anyone can go anywhere. But, his guts tell him there was some connection between them. Chaeyoung had been acting strangely on the phone while Jungkook despite knowing they were there pretended not to see them and stay hiding. The timing when they went out of the cinema was also suspicious. Well, of course, there were lots of possibilities he was wrong. But, the probability he got it right was bigger if he put the fact together.

Chaeyoung and Jungkook weren’t completely a stranger. Chaeyoung ever confessed to Jungkook. She also gave him a gift. Jungkook showed her love letter once and there was a rose drawn on it. Moreover, Jungkook was desperately looking for the owner of that rose drawing. For people who knew and close to Chaeyoung, they must be familiar with it, including Mingyu. It was because she drew it in almost her belonging.

Another clue, Chaeyoung was known as a top student in her school. There was no doubt she was smart. Jimin also said she was working as a tutor. Using that fact, it perfectly fitted the answer to the two mystery. Why Jungkook met a girl and how he suddenly got that high score? The answer was he met Chaeyoung to studying together. Mingyu wasn’t 100% sure about this theory because he hasn’t witnessed them together. He also tried to look for another clue to prove it but he can’t. She zipped tight. Not even her brother knew about it.

“How impressive! You’ve got great guts. With that ability, you must be know how we ended up like this, don’t you?”

Mingyu didn’t answer. He just stared at Jungkook then sipped his hot chocolate. Talking too much made him thirsty. Jungkook was assuming his silence as a yes so that he continued.

“Then, why you still asking her to become the tutor?” actually he didn’t want to hear Mingyu’s answer. He was afraid he will get disappointed even more. That time when Haechan told him he returned Jungkook’s notebook that he found in the café to Mingyu, Jungkook felt so confused at first. He remembered he gave that notebook to Mingyu when he came to drag him to the water-park. But, Haechan said he found his notebook at the café. He then realized he must be giving the wrong book to Chaeyoung. It’s not her diary that he returned, but the gift she gave him. Then, the one he gave Mingyu was her diary. Right at that moment, he found out Mingyu must know about him and her. He felt so betrayed but he kept it inside.

Mingyu finally opened his mouth again. He said he did it for him. He knew he got the scholarship offered to him because of his achievement in soccer. But, as far as he knew, the reputable university was also considering academic performance. That means Jungkook needed to at least get average scores on his report card. But, it was kind of hard because he needed to catch up on all the lessons he missed due to the tournament. Jungkook will refuse to have a private tutor because he hates it, the only way that he could think to boost his performance was to asking Chaeyoung for help.

“So in conclusion, you want to help me? Huh, what a joke. Really, how long have you been my friend? Are you really my friend? Why did you do all the things that I hate? First, you were lying about you not knowing anything about the stalker I desperately looking for. And, now what? Asking the person I hate to tutor me?” he jeered at Mingyu’s answer. He didn’t believe what he just heard. Jungkook was blinded by anger so that everything Mingyu had said was all negative in his mind.

“I am not lying. I intentionally did that. I know it wasn’t her. I tried to avoid you from accusing an innocent person to become a culprit. That’s why I am not saying anything. When you ask me for the girl named Chaeyoung on Mr. Coffee, I am not lying too! I told you the truth. There was no one named Chaeyoung there! I knew she worked there under a different name, but I do as you asked me to do. Both you and Chaeyoung are my precious friends. I also know what happened between you two. It must be related to stalker things. Don’t you think it’s easy for me to decide to ask her to become the tutor? She was the one who did wrong. And I know precisely, it will be a torture for someone who did wrong to face the one they wronged,” Mingyu defend himself that actually useless since Jungkook thought it was just a mere excuse.

“Ah… So… you still defend her. Huh, that’s funny. I wonder why are you being like this? I ever heard love can win against friendship. You must love her so much, huh?” Jungkook couldn’t hold his anger and disappointment longer. He wasn’t the type to use cynical words to hurts others, but it was an exception when he couldn’t contain his emotion bomb.

Just like Jungkook who couldn’t handle his emotion, Mingyu was also suffering from the same situation. He was known as the most patient person among their friends when they were fighting. But, this time, Jungkook had gone too far. He couldn’t hold hearing him insulting Chaeyoung like that. Although she was partly wrong, she didn’t deserve to get treated like this.

“Liar, huh? You didn’t tell us that you knew her. You didn’t tell us you were studying together with her. Is that different from what I did? No, right? So, logically speaking, you were the one who lied first. And also… Don’t you think you are being a hypocrite? Back at the time when you were asking her to help you, don’t you already know she was the owner of that rose? Then, you must know she most likely the stalker you desperately looking for. But why are you still ask her help? Because you don’t want to spend your time in the classroom when you supposed to practicing for the Spring Tournament, right? You put aside the fact and put your goal first. Then, why can’t you do the same thing now?” Mingyu was counterattacking what Jungkook said.

“Right, I am a liar and hypocrite. So, you think it’s okay for me to study with someone… Someone that watching, following, taking pictures, eavesdropping me secretly? So, you think it’s fine?” Jungkook’s hands were trembling as a result of holding on his anger. He tried to control himself by taking a deep breath.

“She didn’t have any intention to do those things. Moreover, she didn’t cause you any harm, right? Did she spread rumors about you? Put your pictures all over the internet? Threatening you? No, right? So, why are you overreacting and blame her so much?” Mingyu tried to bring up the fact to make Jungkook realized it’s not good to overreacting. But, hearing his statement made Jungkook was laughing out loud.

“Hahaha… It’s might not be something serious for you who used to live surrounded by your fans' love. But, I am not a celebrity neither a popular guy who enjoyed the attention. I am just an ordinary high school student. Well, you are right. Physically, she didn’t do something harmless. But, what she did harass me mentally. It’s making me anxious whenever I talked privately with someone. I always check my surroundings afraid someone might spying on me. I might not show that all because I don’t want to look weak and pathetic. But, that’s actually how I feel. So, you expect me to stay casual with someone who harassed me? Besides, she planned everything since the first time she saw me. Everything that happened was exactly like what she planned. How do you think I feel when I found out about that? I fell into her plan dumbly. How should I trust her? How? Tell me!” it’s not easy to confess what he always tried to hide regarding this stalking case. It was might not severe that he needed professional’s help, but it caused him trauma. Since that day, he always became cautious with his surroundings.

It’s hurt. It felt like someone was hammering a nail into his heart. Mingyu closed his eyes, didn’t dare to look at Jungkook who got all red because of the anger. He felt bad because he just knows what he felt. He never told him anything. He acted all normal and fine but he disturbed by that. He suddenly felt so wrong as a friend. He blamed himself for not noticing it.

“It’s not going to work. We both are not in our right mind. Let’s talk some other time,” Mingyu couldn’t hold his emotion. He was sad, angry, disappointed, and guilty at the same time. He thought it’s best to left it now. He can’t continue this conversation or something worse could happen.

Mingyu finished his hot chocolate hoping the chemical on it could help him calm down. He stared at Jungkook who avoid his eyes. He was about to say something, but he decided not to. He stood up, took his coat, and immediately went out of the café.

***

“Ding dong!” the bell sound was heard. Jungkook’s Mom was shouting from the kitchen to tell the guest to wait. Right before she washed her hands that covered with flour and dough to get the door, Jungkook went out of the bathroom. She was happy at that perfect timing and told Jungkook to open the door. Jungkook who was still wearing a towel went straight to the intercom to ask who the guest was.

“It’s Mingyu,” said the guest. Jungkook’s mood suddenly changed. He remembered he was fighting with Mingyu last night. He didn’t feel like meeting him now.

“I am not here for you,” said Mingyu through the intercom before Jungkook had a chance to chase him away.

“Is that Mingyu?” his Mom asked him from the kitchen. Jungkook nodded although he knew his Mom won’t see it. He then immediately opened the gate door so that his Mom won’t get suspicious.

Mingyu entered Jungkook’s house and get welcomed by not friendly expression from the host. Once Jungkook’s mom came Mingyu was smiling brightly and greet her politely. It seems like Mingyu was right. He came as his Mom’s guest. Felt that he had nothing to do with Mingyu, Jungkook went upstairs to get dressed.

“Knock knock!” someone knocked on Jungkook’s door when he was applying moisturizing cream on his face. He went to the door and opened it. Mingyu was standing there and said he at least should greet him or his Mom would found out they were fighting. Jungkook took a deep sigh then went back inside without saying anything.

While Jungkook was busy moisturized his skin, Mingyu was sitting on his desk. Through the mirror, Jungkook saw Mingyu took papers out of his bag. He then talked about how he envied him because of the love his juniors gave him. Jungkook didn’t understand why he suddenly talked about that.

“Seungkwan, Mark, Dino, Hyunjin, Haechan, even Namjoon, and the other boys too. They were so shy to express their love to you directly so they write it down and put it on your shoe locker. Each one of the notes had a different font style, not because the sender did it to confuse us, but because it was written by different people. Why they use the same sticky notes? That’s because we are going to the all-boys school. Boys rarely had sticky notes on their pencil case. So, they were probably taking it from their friends. I promised them I won’t tell you about this but since it became a misunderstanding, I chose to broke my promise. I gathered proof by comparing their hand-written with the one in the sticky notes,” Mingyu put the paper on the table.

Jungkook heard it but he didn’t say anything. He still felt awkward because of their fight yesterday. Although he was reflecting all night long that he was also wrong, he insisted to not be the first to apologize.

“Remember the time when you fought with Jaehyun? You mad at him because he was picking a fight with other school students. I guess if Eunwoo not coming to the scene right in time, both of you might never hold the Spring Tournament Trophy,” Mingyu continued the flashback. Jungkook remembered that epic fight. It’s driving him crazy.

Mingyu then said it was him who called Eunwoo for help. And it was thanks to Chaeyoung who inform him about this. She followed Jungkook there because she accidentally overheard his conversation on the phone. Mingyu then talked about another story. This time he talked about the reason why Haechan had to transfer school. According to Haechan, Chaeyoung helped him caught the bully by sending him the video where they bullied Haechan, Seungkwan, and Dino behind Mr. Coffee. He also said thanks to Chaeyoung they had a cheerleader team who can root for them in the tournament.

“Maybe, because of that good outcome, I got blinded and thought what she did wasn’t harmless. Besides, Chaeyoung is a kind girl. She is very kind so that sometimes people take advantage of it. Including me. I know she won’t refuse my request so I bravely asking her to tutor us despite knowing she isn’t in a good term with you. She might feel embarrassed and guilty to face you, yet I still ask her.

“Right, I neglect your feeling because I thought what I did was for your sake. You were the one in the advantage here. I also thought I did the right thing. Maybe, by meeting you up together again, you two can make up. But, turn out I was wrong. I am not helping you two, instead, I hurt both of you. I am sorry,” Mingyu revealed his true reason and apologize for his thoughtless mind.

Jungkook continued his silent treatment. Although he didn’t as mad as yesterday hearing Mingyu’s confession still triggering his anger.

“You know why people tend to have difficulty to overcome the pain caused by breaking up or betrayal? It’s because they used to trust and love that person. You… like her, don’t you?”

“WHAAT????????” this time, Jungkook couldn’t stay silent.

“So, you can hear me well. I thought you are using an earplug. I am just kidding. Anyway, I am sorry for hiding the truth and didn’t selfishly think what I did was for the best for you. And also… Sorry for calling you liar and hypocrite,” Mingyu shyly apologize. Finally, he could say it out loud.

Hearing his apology softened Jungkook’s heart. His Mom’s words yesterday also resonance on his mind. She told him to treat and cherish his friends. He then shyly said he was also sorry for calling Mingyu a liar and traitor.

Jungkook was too angry last night so that he didn’t think clearly. Last night before he went sleep, he was busy reflecting his action. He tried to put his self on Mingyu’s shoes. He could understand it was hard to be in Mingyu’s position. He couldn’t choose his side. It was like choosing between Mom or Dad. But, with a slightly different score, he was winning over her. Mingyu was telling the truth when he said he did it for him. Rationally and logically speaking, he was indeed the one in advantage.

Mingyu’s phone was ringing and he picked it up. His Mom called him to go home since they should go to his uncle’s wedding. Today, he only came to deliver the cake ingredients prepared for his Mom to Jungkook’s Mom. Just like them, their Moms was also a close friend.

“So, are we cool now?” Mingyu confirmed the status of their fight.

“Sure, no grudge, no hard feeling,” Jungkook put up his fist and Mingyu bumped it with his.

Before Mingyu left, he said he wishes Jungkook to continue with this tutoring. It’s not because he wanted him to appreciate his effort but because he wanted him to get the scholarship. Jungkook then said he didn’t apply for it. He didn’t want to be an athlete nor wanting to take the major of the sport. He wanted to pursue a different career. Mingyu didn’t want to force him so he said if he wanted to withdraw, he could always tell him. He would make an excuse so that the others won’t be suspicious. Jungkook thanked him and said he will inform him later.

Mingyu then took his bag then took out two books that looked identical. He then said to Jungkook to returned the diary back to the owner. As for the other book, it was a gift from her so it would be rude to give it back. Jungkook didn’t give him a response. He continued to walked out of the room.

Jungkook opened the front gate to Mingyu and once again they were bumping their fist. Before Mingu walked too far, Jungkook finally remembered something and called him.

“You said, she doesn’t know that you knew about me and her. So, how can you convince her to agree with this?”

“I ask her as a professional by offering it as a part-time job not as a friend who asks for help,”

“Part-time job? Then… You should compensate her,”

“Yes, exactly. Well, that’s confidential info but, since you forgave me so, I’ll tell you. I will compensate her by giving her the free material and notes of Suneung Test preparation which we get from our cram school and the second one is…,” Mingyu left his word hanging so that it could make Jungkook’s curious.

“What?” Jungkook fell into his trap.

“Kim Taehyung,” Mingyu smiled mysteriously then immediately left Jungkook who was still confused by his answer.

***

The wide room with a mirror on each side of its walls was full of a reflection of people’s acting, singing, and dancing since morning. The music club was busy ever since the morning monitoring the actors and actresses of the musical concert. This year, they won’t hold their annual music concert to celebrate Christmas and New Year. Instead, they choose to perform something new, which was a musical concert. They will donate the profit to the orphanage or people in need just like usual.

Usually, they will hold the music concert a week before Christmas. But now, they postponed it to the end of January due to longer preparation. Since the member of the music club wasn’t enough to fill in the role, they hold a close audition. Because they only had limited time, they focused on the member of the church first, if it was still not enough they planned to recruit someone outside of it. They also invited the kids from the treatment center to participate by becoming the choir.

One month had passed since they announce the line-up. Now they were diligently practicing every weekend because there was only one month left before their performance. Jisoo as the director was a bit of panic since they haven’t finalized the final performance. There was a lot of argument between her and Joshua who took a role as a producer. Jisoo who was having a lot of creative ideas couldn’t reach an agreement with Joshua who strictly refused it because of the limited time and budget. Of course, not only between those two, but a lot of arguments also happened between Lisa, the stage director, Jennie the creative director who especially came to Korea to spent her holiday here, and Lee Jihoon, their music director. From the pinks, only Chaeyoung who didn’t take a role as a director because she had to focus on her university entrance exam. This time, she took a role as a vocal coach and assist Jihoon in music. Gladly, after a long argument, they were finally reaching an agreement a month after.

“EVERYONE LET’S TAKE A 20 MINUTES BREAK!!” Jisoo shouted so that all the actors could hear her. They were sighing in relief then immediately sat down or even lay down of the floor. Jennie and Lisa walked around and giving a water bottle to them. Joshua and Wendy came in and brought a box of snacks and prepared them on the table in the corner.

After made sure everyone had their share, Joshua took a cupcake and cheese bread then walked towards the small circle on the corner. As the producer of the musical concert, he had obligations to make sure the condition of his team. Joshua was asking about their condition, what’s the hardest part and what’s should be improved. They said everything was going smoothly. They were especially praising how great their directors are especially The Blackpink. They said they didn’t expect them to show their charismatic and cool side. Usually, they were acting as kind, sweet, easy-going, and funny friends.

“For your information, they all have another nickname. The pro-pink. That’s showing how great they are when it’s come to showing performances. But, I am so curious. Between those four, who is the hardest to handle?” Joshua was curious about the actors’ opinions about The Pinks. Somehow he wanted to hear if he wasn’t the only one who had a hard time handling those perfectionist girls.

“Rose unnie,”

“Chaeyoung noona,”

“Chaengie,”

Although the actors were saying a different name, they were pointing at the same person. Joshua laughed when he heard it and they also laughed together but not for one person.

“But, what’s wrong with Chaeyoung? I saw her last week and it seems like she was the kindest between those four. I mean, Jisoo noona, Jennie noona, and Lisa are kind too but they are very detailed and strict. But, Chaeyoung is …,” Jaehyun paused as he saw pairs of pitiful eyes from the actors.

“Jaehyuna, you haven’t got personal coaching from Rose have you?” asked Jinyoung.

“Why did you ask? It’s so clear he hasn’t got that private lesson,” Yujin added.

Their answer made Jaehyun even more confused. Joshua who saw his confused face then said he will find the answer once he experienced it.

The break time was over and they were back to practice. They were too busy following the direction from Jisoo so that they didn’t realize a girl with a guitar was coming to the room. They finally noticed her when she came closer to Jisoo and whispering something. Jisoo nodded and told Jaehyun to follow Chaeyoung to practice his singing.

“JAEHYUNAA FIGHTING!!!” Jinyoung shouted to cheer Jaehyun up then it was followed by the others.

Jaehyun who didn’t know anything just smiling thanked them and quickly followed Chaeyoung to the singing practice room. Although Chaeyoung was not the music director, she was in charge to train the actors about their singing while Jihoon focused more on the music arrangement. Since their time was limited, their training with Chaeyoung wasn’t frequent. Jaehyun was the last person on the list to get his private lesson. Since he was the lead actor, Chaeyoung intentionally put him on the last so that he could become more focused after memorized his line and move. His singing ability was important because it was a musical concert. Of course, his acting was important too but people tend to focus on his singing.

After one hour of practicing, Jaehyun finally went out of the singing practice room. Joshua who first noticed him coming was laughing out loud when he saw his face. He looked like a zombie with that exhausted and pale skin. Hearing a laughing sound snatch everyone's attention. Their eyes now searching from the source of the laughter and in no time they were all laughing together. Looking at how their focus got distracted, Jisoo decided to take a short break and let them rest.

Jaehyun who was aware he was being their laughing stock shyly walked to the corner and lay down on the floor. Joshua came and gave him a water bottle. Jaehyun drank it all in one shot and it made Joshua laughed harder. Jinyoung and some other actors also came closer and sat down. They wanted to cheer him up but can’t stop laughing at Jaehyun’s state.

“How was it? The private one hour lesson from our beloved Coachsé?” Jinyoung asked Jaehyun who finally get back his energy and able to sit down.

“I think I understand why you guys chose her as the hardest one. It looks fun but…,” Jaehyun was having a hard time describing what he just experienced.

“She was a devil disguised as an angel,” Joshua’s phrase made all of them laughed in agreement. Jaehyun wasn’t an exception.

“I know right. She was saying, Yujinna, you are so great, but can you please repeat this part once again? Give some stress when you pronounce that word. Right, great. Great, you did well. But, can I hear your great voice once again singing this verse from the start?” Yujin was mimicking how Chaeyoung taught her.

“She always says nice and sweet things to us with that angelic soft voice of her. She never raised her voice and always smiling. But, I know, it was one hell of training. She was so detailed and able to notice even a slight mistake we made. She was incredible,” Jeongin added.

“But, she was a very great trainer. It was very very hard and exhausting but it’s worth it. You know we always hate the killer teacher but actually, they were the kindest of all? They want us to be successful and did their best for our sake. Of course, they all knew the students will hate them but the hate will be useless compared to their success,” Joshua wisely closed this topic.

“Yeah, it’s exhausting but at least you know how to sing well and most importantly, she will treat you some delicious dessert. Ah, our Chaeyoung is indeed the sweetest,” Jinyoung also closed the topic with sweet and positive words so that it won’t discredit anyone.

Deep inside their heart, they were all very grateful at their directors. They knew they were working twice, no tenth fold harder than them. They were also amazed at despite their perfectionism; they never raised their voice towards them. They might have lots of burden and stress but they always tried their best to hide their emotion and frustration so they won’t go overboard. Their kindness and sincerity were the things that moved the actors’ hearts and silently made them want to work hard to show great performance.

The break time was over and Jaehyun had to go back to the singing practice room. He looked around but didn’t saw Chaeyoung and he assumed she already went to the singing practice room first. He took one water bottle and quickly went there. He grabbed the door handle, pushed it down, and opened it while he heard a conversation. From their voice, he knew it was Lisa and Chaeyoung.

“Remember what you said when you decided to do it, right? You were aware of the consequences when you decided to take that offer,” Lisa sounded like she was scolding Chaeyoung.

“I know. I know it very well. But, still… I thought I will be fine because I already predicted it. I thought I already prepared my heart, but… It still hurt,” this time was Chaeyoung’s turn.

Jaehyun didn’t know what they were talking about but he felt bad because he overheard the conversation that sounded private. He then slowly closed the door and without letting go of the handle, he knocked it. He then opened it like he didn’t hear anything. He was sure the knock could give them enough time to prepare themselves. Those two were smiling at him and acted so naturally. He also did the same. Lisa then excused herself to go back to the practice room while Chaeyoung was getting ready to become the Coachsé mode.

Although those three were gotten so close during the past year, sometimes Jaehyun could feel the gap he had between them. Of course, no matter how close they were right now, he couldn’t feel the years Chaeyoung and Lisa had spent together. He respected it and he also knew some things couldn’t be shared no matter how close their relationship was. Sometimes there was a time that Chaeyoung said she only shared it with him but no others, but still, a small part of his heart was envy when he didn’t know what was going on between them.

“Jaehyuna, Jaehyuna? Are you okay? Do you need more rest?” Chaeyoung asked him and it made him back from his thought. He nodded and started singing from the part they paused.

“Jaehyuna, you are the lead actor and everyone's attention will be focused on you. I know it’s gonna be hard, but I hope you won’t lose your voice on the D-Day. We already prepared for the worst by recording the music in case something happened, but I truly wish you can sing it live. I want the audience to hear your beautiful voice. So, slowly change the way you sing, okay? Don’t use your throat use your breath just like what I told you earlier. You’ve got talent so don’t worry about not reaching the note because I am very sure you can do it. Practicing the basics is more important and remember to always maintain your vocal cords, okay?” Chaeyoung gave a long piece of advice right after Jaehyun finished singing the first song. Jaehyun might be nervous so that he sometimes forgot the technique.

“Yes, ma’am,” Jaehyun answered.

Before they continued, someone was knocking on the door. Haechan peeked in and told them the pizza had come. They should come to eat. Chaeyoung nodded and looked at her watch. They were already spent another hour. She decided to end the training session and together with Jaehyun, they were joining the others.

When they arrived, there were only a few people left. Wendy said the actors already finished their practice and now there only the staff left. They will have a meeting so they stay behind. Jaehyun felt uneasy because he was the only actor there but they convinced him not to worry and just enjoy the pizza. Moreover, their meeting wasn’t a secret thing so it’s okay if he was there and listened.

“Oh, what’s this? I think they gave this lava cake for free since I bought a lot. But, there is only one of it, who wants this cake, raise your hand!” Jennie who was taking the pizza boxes out of the plastic bag found a hidden menu. Three people raised their hands at the same time, it’s Chaeyoung, Jaehyun, and Haechan. Lisa who was just coming back from the bathroom was complaining because she wanted to compete too. That lava cake was so popular these days. It might look the same as another lava cake but it was delicious. They only got one probably because it already sold out.

Since there were three people and there was only one cake, Jennie said they should play the game to decide the owner. Some people suggested the game they should play but Jennie seems unsatisfied since those games were too common.

“How about the flex game?” Haechan threw an idea. Jennie who just heard about it asked him about the rule. Haechan said it was a simple game in which the player had to tell the story about the thing they proud of. The winner should be decided by vote.

Jennie who was interested then agreed to it. But, there was one person who silently disagrees. It’s Chaeyoung. She knew she won’t win this game since she wasn’t good at showing off. That’s why she chose to play first.

“Since I was young, I never had short hair. I always keep my hair this long. Some people say they are jealous of my healthy long hair. Even the unnies on the salon also said my hair was so beautiful,” Chaeyoung decided to flex her hair because she never plays this kind of game so she had nothing to brag about.

“Aaaa… That’s right. We always talk about your long, thick, and smooth hair. We want to have it. I envy you. My hair is starting to get dry because of the dye,” Jennie sincerely envied of what Chaeyoung had and it made her relieved. At least one person would vote for her.

The next contestant was Haechan. He looked so confident and it was written on his face.

“I am not a member of the soccer club, but I bring the trophy back to them. I even become the top scorer during that tournament. But, that’s not all. Me, who was an outsider, successfully lifted the strictest rule they had. I made the Captain lifting the dating ban,” Haechan proudly telling his achievement.

Everyone who heard his story gave applause. Although they weren’t going to the same school they knew about that rule. The soccer team of Haechan’s school was very popular in their neighborhood, not only because of their outstanding achievement but also the visual of the members. Unfortunately, the girls couldn’t date one of them until they graduate because of that rule. It made the girls and also the members of the team prayed so hard so the rules will be lifted.

The last one was Jaehyun. He saw Haechan gave a cocky look and it made him smirk. Haechan story was great but nothing can compare to his.

“I never once had acne,” his story was short but it successfully made all the people envy him including Chaeyoung and Haechan.

Now, this was the time to decide the winner. Everyone thought Jaehyun must be the winner because no one can’t compare to that flex. But, it was the opposite. Since they were envy they decided to vote for Haechan. Haechan who won was screaming out of joy while Jaehyun was getting upset because they were conspiring against him. They were laughing and said since Jaehyun already wins in life, so let’s give the cake to Haechan. Haechan happily eats his lava cake and getting a jealous stare from Jaehyun, Lisa, and Chaeyoung.

“So, you are the one who makes them lift the dating ban? How did you do it? Do you have a girlfriend?” Chaeyoung was curious.

“The team was short of player so they asked for my help. In exchange, they will give me something. So, I decided to ask them to lift the dating ban. The reason wasn’t that I have a girlfriend but that time I suddenly thinking about you two,” said Haechan while the chocolate on his spoon.

“You two? Who?” Jaehyun was curious.

“Who else? Of course you and you. Ah… I waste my precious wish but you two still not dating each other. You are not being grateful,” Haechan pointed at Chaeyoung and Jaehyun while sounding like a disappointed old man.

Because they were sitting in the circle, so everyone could hear their conversation. They were giggling while looking at Chaeyoung and Jaehyun who suddenly became quiet and awkward. Both of their face and ears also turned red. Lisa felt bad for her two friends so she decided to change the topic and told them to go back to work. They both always became the target of their tease although they knew they were just a friend.

After cleaning up the room, they started the meeting. Jaehyun still felt uneasy so he excused himself to practicing his singing. Chaeyoung couldn’t assist him because she was part of the staff and she needed to report her progress. Half an hour had passed. The rent time was also over. They were packing their bag and made sure nothing was left behind. Before they left, Joshua reminded Chaeyoung to check on the singing practice room since she was the one who used it. She said goodbye to the rest and heading to the singing practice room alone.

Chaeyoung went inside and saw Jaehyun was sleeping on the sofa. She smiled then came inside to wake him up. He must be very tired that made him fell asleep. Chaeyoung shook his shoulder and as soon as he opened his eyes she told him the practice was over. Jaehyun was still half asleep so he just nodded and blankly packing his belonging and followed Chaeyoung out to the bus station.

“Where are we going?” Jaehyun asked Chaeyoung while hiding his hands on his jacket pocket tried to warm it up from the cold air.

“Me? I am going home, of course,” Chaeyoung was teasing him. Jaehyun might already hear about the dessert rumor.

Hearing her answer made him looked at her with a confused face. But not long after, his expression changed from confused to upset and disappointed.

“So, what they said was just a lie,” Jaehyun muttered a word. Chaeyoung got curious so she asked him about that. Jaehyun then explained that he heard she will treat them dessert or snack after the coaching session. Chaeyoung was grinning and said she bought it because she wanted to appreciate their hard work. She also felt bad because she made them practicing so hard.

Jaehyun just listened and didn’t say anything. He didn’t what got into him but he felt disappointed when he heard it. He looked at the road then moved a few steps when he saw there was a taxi approaching. A taxi stopped. He then turned back and say goodbye to Chaeyoung before he going in. Before he closed the door, her hand suddenly held it. She put her guitar next to Jaehyun then took the front seat and told the driver their destination.

It’s the first time she saw Jaehyun acted that way. Thanks to her smart brain and quick-witted sense she realized Jaehyun might get sad with what she said. All this time, he always showed his good side and rarely complaining about anything. People might think he was blessed with talent but actually, he worked very hard to gain it. Looking at Jaehyun in this state remind her about herself. The judgment people made and the label they put on her. They didn’t acknowledge her hard work, they just thinking she just born with it.

Chaeyoung gave a direction to the taxi driver where to stop. She then paid him and dragged Jaehyun out of the taxi. Jaehyun was still silent and looked not excited.

“Are you mad? I am sorry. I didn’t forget about the treat. I just said it to tease you,” she apologized as soon as Jaehyun got out of the taxi.

Jaehyun was still not giving any response and just continued to walk. Chaeyoung immediately chase him and stood in front of him so that he won’t move. She stared at him at the eyes and so did he. She smiles then patted his fluffy hair.

“You’ve worked hard. I know you work harder than what they see. You also did great. Everyone knew it. You are very exhausted, right? Now, let’s fill up some energy by eating something that you love. I received my paycheck today so I will buy everything that you want,” she was showing his brightest smile then gave a pat on his shoulder. She then excitedly walked towards the crowded streets. She turned around and saw Jaehyun’s face was changed. She knew he was no longer angry.

She waited until he was standing next to her then they were walking towards one of the busiest streets in Seoul. While they were walking Chaeyoung said it’s not like she didn’t want to buy him dessert because he didn’t work hard enough either forget about it. She just didn’t want to go tonight after she saw him sleeping. She thought he might be exhausted because of all the training.

“I kind of disappointed when you all conspiring against me and gave away the lava cake I deserved. But, when I remember you always gave a dessert coupon to the person who finished their training session I got so excited. I purposely wait for you until you finished your meeting so that you can buy me desserts but then you said you just want to go home. How can I not get angry?” he was whining like a kid and it made her thought it was really cute. Looking at the way she giggled, made him a bit embarrassed.

It’s Saturday night and the street of Hongdae was especially crowded by family or couple. It’s cold but it can’t stop people from hanging out. Chaeyoung was walking through the street and her attention was distracted by the cute bag in one of the shops. After she felt satisfied looking at the display, she looked around the shop searching for Jaehyun. She thought he was waiting near the shop but he wasn’t. She walked to the street and started to look for him but she failed. It’s too crowded. She was panicking then walked toward the less crowded place, took her phone and tried to call him. But, even before she heard the first tone, Jaehyun was already standing in front of her. She was smiling in relieved but he wasn’t. He was complaining because she suddenly out of sight. She should thank her guitar because it helped him to found her in this sea of people.

“Give me your guitar. It’s heavy and it’s hard to carry in this crowded place,” talking about a guitar made him felt bad. As a gentleman, his pride was kind of hurt letting her carrying that heavy stuff. She appreciated his offer but she refused it by saying it wasn’t heavy and she used to it.

“Don’t be stubborn and just hand it to me,” Jaehyun insisted but she still refused.

He chuckled then he held the guitar while glaring at her. She sighed and let him took the guitar from her back. Jaehyun then led the way to the café area. But, before he walked too far, he turned back then stood next to her. He looked at her then with his eyes, he pointing at his arm.

“Don’t make me look for you again in this crowd. It’s exhausting,” said Jaehyun.

Chaeyoung smiled then linked her arm with him. While they were walking toward the café area, she constantly dragging Jaehyun here and there to look at the stuff the shop displayed. Deep in his heart, he was relieved because he thought of this brilliant idea. Chaeyoung was the type who easily got distracted while walking in the shopping area. It might become a disaster if he kept losing her, especially in this crowd.

“Hey, is it okay if we walk around like this?” Chaeyoung suddenly asked after they arrived at the café area which full of the couple who walked hand in hand.

“I am cool with it. The dating rule was gone too. So, there won’t be any problem. Why? Are you feeling uncomfortable?”

“No. I just afraid people might understand us. I am just tired of explaining to them, especially your fans. There was a point when I am so sick of it that I wish I was truly your girlfriend so they won’t bother asking about our relationship,”

“If it’s so troublesome, Then… should we make it real?”

Chaeyoung stopped walking when she heard it. She was very surprised. She wanted to make sure her ears were still functioned well but before she confirmed it, something was catching her attention first.

“Teacher Chaeyoung, right?” a middle-aged man who just came out of the restaurant called her again to make sure it was her. She was a bit shock when she finally recognized the man then awkwardly bowed to him. Jaehyun didn’t know him but as a polite boy, he was also bowed. A second later, his wife also came out and her husband told her about Chaeyoung.

“So, what is your choice? Will you explain or…?” Jaehun asked in a whisper. They were around four meters away with the couple so they won’t be able to hear him. Chaeyoung pretended she didn’t hear Jaehyun’s tease so she just quickly walked closer to the couple.

“Mr. Kim, Mrs. Kim, good night! It’s so unexpected to meet you here,” Chaeyoung greeted them properly once she was in the proper distance to talk.

“Yeah, we are just having a family date,” said the wife while smiling mysteriously to Chaeyoung and Jaehyun.

Chaeyoung’s suddenly got stiff when she heard the family date. That’s means they weren’t alone, they must be here with their son.

“Dad, it’s your credit card…,” the son who finally finished the payment was a bit surprised when he saw them that even made him stop talking.

“Oh, Hi Noona… Sunbae too, hi! Why are you… No… are you guys…,” said the boy while looking suspiciously at those two who looked like the thieves who just got caught right-handed.