VIII

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg
Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 8
 
“Dinner was delightful tonight, mother” Daehyun smiled. Stairs painted the skies as he stood on the dewy porch to Anna’s house.

“I’m looking forward to keeping you around Young Man” Anna’s mother smiled. “Anna, take him back will you?”

“Alright, get on city boy.” Anna called over her shoulder as she mounted the quad bike. The engine revved for a few minutes over the bumpy ride before Daehyun hopped off the quad bike, the big barn gates welcoming him. “Here’s you stop. Anything else you need?”

“Two things actually. Come in for a second.” Daehyun replied feebly as the barn gates creaked open. Feeling around for a light switch, nimble fingers pressed a switch only to turn on the lone tube light in the residing barn section. “Can I get your number? Along with your parents’ numbers, it would be really helpful,” he asked with his phone on hand

“Good idea.” She muttered before punching the numbers into his phone. Daehyun smiled to himself when he saw she had written the numbers in a note. “Anything else?”

“Uhm,” the lad began feebly. “What do I call your mom and dad? I feel like I should know their names, calling them Sir and mother isn’t the best idea in the long run.”

“Mr and Mrs Kwon. Down here we have things a little different, we usually go by our baptismal names in this part of the country.”

“I didn’t think you would be religious types down here.”

“We have our share atheists and agnostics too, but in this part of town baptismal names are hella common.” She waved off. “I’m Anna, my dad’s Christian, and mom’s is Ariya. As part of the contract you’ll have to sign with your official name-”

“Wait, there’s a contract for the job?” Daehyun interjected, albeit rudely.

“Have you never had a job before?” Brown pools looked back at him curiously.

“I thought it was just some half assed thing you pulled out of nowhere,” he shrugged. “I didn’t think there would be contract for it.”

“Unless you want to look like an illegal immigrant you’re welcome to have no contract. No contract and we’ll get called out for child labour.” Pink lips pulled into an innocent smile. Daehyun looked on in wonder.

“You sure you’re 17?” the lad earned an eye-roll as a response.

“Whatever. You’ll see my dad’s real name tomorrow, and my grandpa chose not to give mom a Christian name for her baptism. Game of Thrones really changes people” she smiled softly. “I wanted to ask, is Daehyun your given name or baptismal name?”

“Given name” he replied. The girl stood up and turned away, leaving the boy baffled “Okay, but what’s yours?” he called just as the girl was about to step out of the threshold.

“It’s Haerin. Kwon Haerin.” Her soft voice was carried by the breeze as she slipped through the gates. The name tumbled out of his lips without his realisation. The lad knew, he’d have to keep his guard up, he couldn’t be as free as he wanted to be.