XXXI

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 31
 
Hanging up from a phone call with the priest the lad sighed and entered the barn, feet pedalling towards the bed where his bride lay. She hadn’t said a word, but relaxing under his touch was a good sign for the lad held her close. It was in these little moments breathing in unison with the girl he loves, where his heart began to sing. He couldn’t make out what it said just yet, but he like this warm bubbling feeling. “Want to go shopping with Beatrice tomorrow?”

“What for?”

“I don’t think you want to exchange vows in pyjamas now do we, love?”

His bride sniffed, and held him closer. “I don’t deserve you.”

“I could say the same thing.” The lad smiled before falling into a deep sleep.

Daehyun began the next day earlier than usual, assuming Mr.Kwon’s responsibilities. He started the day yawning with the mess in the stables followed by a well-deserved shower. Collecting eggs from the chickens and watering the crops, the lad ended a day’s work with delivering feed to the friendly barn animals at around midday.

On his way to the barn a van pulled into the drive way. A courier driver stepped out with a parcel addressed to Mr.Kwon from Youngjae. The lad knew it was meant for him, but what was it? Swinging the barn door open with a sigh the lad knew his bride had gone dress shopping, but wasn’t expecting to see a meal on their little coffee table. A warm quiche and a glass of fresh juice sat next to a small vase of wildflowers. The lad smiled while devouring the surprisingly well-cooked quiche, he knew Beatrice had helped Anna, the angel couldn’t cook for the life of her. Using a set of keys to tear the packaging the lad carefully pulled out a brand new suit, a small box and a card. “Daehyun you owe me a lot. And use protection. Haerin…Congrats on getting hitched, he’s a good guy but he’s a little stupid. And now he’s all yours, good luck.” Daehyun was truly blessed with a friend in Youngjae, only your best man will get you wedding bands when you’re in hiding, he’ll be there even if it is in spirit.

Clad in the suit and styling his hair as neatly as possible, Daehyun stopped and looked hard at the man in the mirror. His sun kissed glow grew darker and he held a defined face despite eating carelessly for the past month. The lad noticed how rough and calloused his hands had become, the blisters from lifting weights disappeared as his palm appeared almost leathery even despite being slick with moisturiser. Never had the lad thought he’d be falling in love and getting hitched in one summer, he had become a real man. He was about to break free from everything that had once trapped him now. Adjusting the wildflowers on his blazer collar the lad made his way to the truck, nervousness to the big moment building up with every mile he covered on the road.

Beatrice stood outside the red doors with a basket, smiling brightly at the lad. “Are you nervous?”

“Who wouldn’t be?” the lad laughed. Being told to enter the church, the lad made his way into the front, a smiling priest helped calm his nerves a little. After all he had asked only for Anna’s close friends to be invited, two people on the bench guests was a welcome sight as they celebrated the pair today.

“Hold your head up, you’re officially becoming a husband” a friend of Haerin smiled as the ceremony began. The lad felt butterflies in his stomach throughout the procession, but the lad’s breath was caught in his throat when Haerin walked down the aisle. One of the girls on the bench giggled as a stray tear slipped down the lad’s cheek while the rest teared up with him. Every girl is beautiful in her wedding dress but the fact that she was his she outshined everyone. Her flower crown held the veil in place, matching her peach and white dress. The lad held he gloved hand as the procession continued, stealing glances at his bride. A simple exchange of their vows, an exchange of rings that sat perfectly in the pair’s fingers. The pair ended the ceremony as red as tomatoes with a chase kiss on one the lips, flustered that their first kiss was so public. Beatrice caught the bouquet with a shy grin. Cans clinked on the pavement as the pair drove off with a roughly spray painted Just Married sign on the boot of the truck, here is to the start of a new page in their life.