X

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg
Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 10
 
The blazing summer heat welcomed the in an uncomfortably hot embrace, but the lad wouldn’t mind getting used to it. It came with the freedom and stillness he never had in his life. “Right, first job, wood chopping.” Anna called over her shoulder, gumboots hitting the well-trodden dirt path with an axe over her shoulder. “Do they chop wood in the cities?” she asked beyond the tacky sound of her chewing gum.

“Nope, but in the city, chewing with your mouth open is considered rude and uncultured.” A hand gently clapped over the source of that annoying sound silencing the girl for a moment.

Swatting his hand away the girl glared at Daehyun playfully “Watch it with your words, city boy. I’m your boss’ daughter.”

“Your father pays me, not you. At this rate you’re just a favoured farm hand”

“Back to wood chopping, I was gonna teach you but you can learn for yourself.” Lose strands on her shoulder pulled up into a messy bun as she began her work. Looking around, Daehyun found a weird looking axe, upon recognition he’d seen it on an infomercial. This axe was specially designed for wood chopping, giving thought to leverage and swing. Grabbing a spare tyre on the side, the boy arranged wood upright. “What are you doing?” she voiced quietly.

Grabbing the axe, and swinging forward, Daehyun replied with his actions. The advert continued to play in his mind, each time he’d study the swing of the axe, the sound of the wood cracking beneath, the flick of the wrist separating sliced wood. Simultaneously the lad swung the axe, again and again, and again. A beads of sweat rolled down his forehead, pulling back to see the fruit of his labour, Anna walked up to him, awestruck. “How did I go?”

“You’re a monster with that thing.” Holding a water bottle out to Daehyun for a drink, the cool contents soothed the boy’s parched throat. “Keep going at this rate and you’ll be done before lunchtime” she smiled as did he. For once, acknowledging his inner monsters didn’t feel so bad, hard labour such as wood chopping became therapeutic.