XXII

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 22
 
Daehyun made a mistake. He bought up the assault incident three days ago, and since then Anna has given him the cold shoulder. All he asked was if she was okay. Daehyun knew pain when he saw it, he recognised its suffocating presence. But she wanted him to forget that night. “Don’t get ahead of yourself,” she said. “I can look after myself.”

“I never said you couldn’t-”

“Then don’t get involved in matters that don’t concern you, just do your job and you can get going when your contract is over.” She cut in coldly, sharply reminding the lad of his place. The Kwons noticed the silence at the dinner table, conversation being kept it a necessary extent. But it made no difference to the parents; Mrs.Kwon treated Daehyun like the son she never had and Mr.Kwon continued to teach him little things he’d find useful in different turns of life.

That didn’t soothe his heart or mind for he spent the past few nights tossing and turning at the thought of never being close with the girl he has come to love, and the fear of not being by her side when she needs it most.

Sunday rolls in lazily, and the only fruit of labour our boy can feel now are the muscles forming beneath his skin as he buttoned up his shirt. His stomach is tighter, his face is slimmer, his skin has begun to roughen and tan in the blazing heat. Hopefully next week will be merciful; hopefully God will roll some clouds and wind in soon.

God. Jesus. The Lord, it all seems to comfort our lad. Being raised agnostic has it’s effects, but he didn’t think believing in the father’s words would be one of them. The lord seemed to touch Daehyun’s heart, he was the only thought that would calm his unsettled heart when it came ot Haerin. Today’s the sermon as about was about people and relations. “Be wary of the company you keep. They could be the cause of your unhappiness.”

Jaehyeok nodded with his eyes closed beside Mrs.Kwon.

Daehyun could not agree more.