XI

Summer in Shed 6
 
Capture_zps6nmae6v2.jpg
Summer In Shed 6
Chapter 11
 
A final swing of the axe sliced through the wood, relief flooded through Daehyun upon completing his first designated job. A cool breeze hit his sore back bearing the brunt of the midday sun. Standing up a little disorientated, the boy smiled and inquired for the time. “We still have an hour” she called from under the tree. The sight of his boss driving a quad bike came closer. Parted lips curled into a toothy grin, revealing missing teeth and signs of early aging.

“Did you really do this yourself?!” the man exclaimed, eyes widened at the lad before him.

“He did Daddy, I didn’t even help him.” Anna cooed, savouring an ice lolly.

“That’s nothing to be proud of” Daehyun replied, earning a hearty laugh from his boss. “Is there anything else to do, sir?”

“You’ll need to move these into the shed. Anna, go get the quad bike and hook it up to a trailer.” The boss called. “And don’t be selfish, get the boy a treat too.” He laughed as he drove off. The girl walked off to do her job, leaving the lad all alone by the chopped wood.

Moving under the tree and prying his sweat drenched shirt over his head the lad groaned at the tension in his muscles. The warm breeze prickled at beads of sweat dotting his skin. Daehyun was hot, sweaty, dirty, but he was at peace. The soft rustling of grass carried in the breeze and soft birdsong from afar. Fresh scent of pine calmed him, the uneven tree bark against his back only adding to the purity of the moment. Dark and light spots from behind his eyelids as the light filtered through trees. Peace, albeit incomplete was peace. The feeling foreign yet welcome. Footsteps scuffled closer, and an angel held and ice block with fruit pieces in front of his face. “Am I in heaven?”

A scoff slipped through pink lips “Put a shirt on, the heat’s getting to you”. Daehyun didn’t miss the blush on her cheeks. “You know, I know nothing about you,” she stated while sitting on the ground beside him.

“Do you want to play twenty-questions?”

“They have that in the city?!” her voice dripped sarcasm

“Yes, they do. Can I get my ice cream?”

“No. Why would I give you my ice cream?”

“Because the boss said you had to. Question two.”