Chapter Nine

Our Secret Love

Chapter Nine



Eunmee's POV


I woke up, seeing the white ceiling above me. 


Where am I? This isn't my office.


I tried to get into a sitting position, but failed. I feel so weak all over. 


What's wrong with me? Why am I feeling so weak?


I looked around the room and I finally realized, I'm in a hospital suite. 


What happened? Why am I inside a hospital?



"Eunmee-ssi, you're awake already!" I heard that familiar voice, Yunho. 


"What happened to me?" I forced my words to come out clealy despite what I'm feeling.


"You passed out this afternoon while we were in your office." It was Yumi's voice I heard. She walked up to the side of my bed, placing an arm over 
mine. "How are you feeling?"


"A bit dizzy." I replied. "What's wrong with me? What did the doctors say?"


"Eunmee." there was something in Yumi's voice the way she spoke my name. I worriedly glanced at her then at Yunho, who's eyes were avoiding me.


"Why? What?" I asked again, feeling lost. I never liked this feeling.


"It'll be better if your doctor will be the one to explain." Yunho suggested.


"Explain what?" I tried to squeeze some answer out of them but they won't just tell me anything. Why? Has something serious happened to me?


Yunho just smiled a little at me before squeezing my hand he's holding while Yumi left the room, maybe to call the doctor. I was about to ask where Donghae was but before I can, I mentally scolded myself. This is Yunho who's with me. And Donghae isn't here in the country right now. 


That was the longest minutes of my life while waiting for Yuri to come back with my doctor. Deep down inside, I'm dead worried about my condition. It can't be something serious, can it? But, why are they acting like I'm gonna die anytime? What's with them?


"Yunho." I called his name so he would look at me. He did, and then I saw how weary his eyes are. 


"Neh?" he tried to smile to disguise what his eyes were trying to say. He is hiding something from me. It's clearly seen.


"Why? What's wrong?" My words almost came out as whispers. 


"Rest your mind for now honey. Let's wait for your doctor, okay?" He said, a small smile escaping his lips. I nodded in defeat. Maybe I just have to wait for the doctor.


A few minutes passed by and Yumi walked in, followed by a lady who seemed to be my doctor. She smiled as she saw me awake.


"Eunmee-ssi, it's good that you're awake already. How are you feeling?" She asked as she did the necessary check up on me.


"Uh, just a bit dizzy. That's all."


"Oh. That's just an effect of the tranquilizer we gave you to give yourself a proper sleep." She looked at me, smiling sincerely. 


"What, uh, really happened to me? Why did I passed out?"


Yumi and Yunho remained quiet as I waited for her to reply. She consulted the clipboard she has, before finally looking at me.


I can feel my heart, beating so fast because of suspense. I don't think I'm prepared to hear what she's about to say.


"According to the test we did on you Eunmee-ssi, the number of your white blood cell is way beyond the normal count. It out numbered your red blood cells." She glanced back at her clipboard, re-reading the results of my tests. 


" Your bone marrow cells are displacing higher numbers of immature white blood cells, results in a lack of blood platelets, which are important in the blood clotting process. It causes the white blood cells, be suppressed or dysfunctional. And its the reason why your immune system is having a hard time to protect itself from simple infection and such." 


"And?" I asked. Okay. My white blood cells are dysfunctional. So? What's wrong with me then? "Is that the reason why I easily get bruised? And why I often have headaches?"


She nodded. Then her expression softened. Like she pity me, or something like that. Why? Do I have some deadly sickness?


What she said next made me so weak that I passed out once again. 


Henry's POV

I really think it's such a coincidence that almost all of us have conference meetings to attend today. Donghae hyung's in China with Ryeowook hyung to talk to our Chinese investors while Yunho hyung deals with the American investors who's willing to share stocks with ours. And lastly, me, Sunday noona and Kyuhyun hyung here in Incheon to close a deal properly. This day is such a blessing. No doubt that we'll get three major deals in a day. Well, separately.


"You sure you'll be fine here Henry-ah?" Kyuhyun asked me as I was dealing with my character on my laptop. Literally, I just came to get out of the office. I just love being the magnae.


"Neh hyung." Currently, I'm comfortably sitting on one of the huge couches of the hotel coffee shop with them. They'll be conducting the meeting in one of the private booths of the resto just in front of the said cafe.


"You should've just came if you won't be of help." Kyuhyun hyung muttered, looking at me. I just grinned and puffed my cheeks out.


"It's boring back there hyung." I reasoned out.


"Oldest excuse Henry Lau. You're just too lazy today to do office works." Sunday noona exactly got my real reason. 


"'Today I don't feel like doing anything..'" I sang a few lyrics of a famous English song and laughed with the two. This is the privilege of being the youngest. I get them to spoil me. A pout or an aegyo will do the trick on them.


"Lazy monkey." Kyuhyun hyung said with a grin, shaking his head. "Come on, Sunday. It's almost twelve."


"No monkey business Henry Lau. NO." Sunday noona even widened her eyes to give emphasize on her last word. Somehow, my pretty noonas can really be scary at times. So I just nodded my head like a little kid and watch them leave the coffee shop.


Finally. A time alone for myself.


I sighed happily as I looked back at the screen of my laptop. This is all I want. Hours of playing with my game. Seriously, I got this attitude from Kyuhyun hyung when we were still trainees. He's my senior by two years. But we got close with the help of Eunmee noona and Donghae hyung, who that time also were my mentors among the other seniors in the university. And fortunately when I finished internship, we got the chance to work together.


What else can I do in here? Hmmmmn.


I glanced around the cafe and noticed that it has a mini library style on one side. A book shelf stood on one corner that captured my attention. I quickly got up, safely placing my laptop on the table and headed there. There must be something that won't be too boring to read.


I guess..


As I was scanning the bookshelf, one of the crews approached the same shelf, holding a few books on her arms. I don't really want to mind her but something about her caught my attention.


She looks like someone.


Someone very familiar.


"Sapphire?" I addressed her directly. But when she turned to me, her eyes widened as if in great surprise.


"H-huh? M-me?" I can feel her nervousness. What's wrong with her? She is Sapphire Shin. I know her like the back of my hand, of course. She's the daughter of my dad's colleague back in Canada. Her family is one of the richest.


"Yes. You. You are Queenie Shin. You can't remember me? I'm Henry. Henry Lau."


"Uh, s-sorry. Y-you uh, m-must have m-mistaken me f-for someone e-else. Have a great time sir." She bowed quickly, but even before she can walk away from me, I softly grabbed her wrist to stop her.


"Queenie. What's happening to you? It's me. Henry." I reminded her. I know she recognized me but why can't she just say it?


"I'm sorry. But I really don't know you. And I don't even know how you knew my name. But I don't think I'm the girl you're referring to. I'm sorry." Aish. Whatever she says, I still know its her. She is the Queenie Shin I know.


"No. You are Queenie." I stubbornly insisted.


She just bowed at me one last time before turning her back on me. 


You know who the real Queenie is Henry..


"You're Queenie Sapphire Shin, the sole heiress of one of the world's largest Jewelry company that's based in Canada right now." 


She paced quickly back to me and suddenly grabbed me on the corner.


"Shut up Henry!! It's been years but you still love to interfere with others life and business!" She hissed angrily at me, giving me a hard slap on my shoulder.


Yunho's POV


That night, I had no other choice but to look after Eunmee at the hospital. I still can't believe what the doctor told us about her health. Even Doctor Shin can't believe it.



"What's wrong with her Doctor?" I immediately asked Dr. Shin as soon as she entered Eunmee's private room. Eunmee had been asleep for almost five hours now.


"Mr. Jung. Based on the results of the tests we did on Miss Kim, I'm sorry to say that there's something we've seen in her blood samples." She looked very apologetic as she started explaining to me.


"It's not something serious, isn't it?" I asked with a nervous smile. 





After hearing what's really wrong with Eunmee, I felt my own energy being drained out. All along, I thought she's perfectly fine. 


I sighed as I stare at Eunmee who's peacefully sleeping, weakness can be seen on her face. Eunmee. She's someone who can make a person smile just by her presence. Who would ever thought that someon as strong as her, will have some disease that can be the cause of her life to end soon.


"Hey." I turned around and saw Yumi entered the room with Hankyung behind her. I smiled a little to acknowledge their presence.


Yumi walked over to the bed and fixed Eunmee's comforter as silence ate the three of us. Just like me, the both of them still can't believe what they heard.


"Dr.Shin told me that the least we can do to help her keep strong is that we always keep her happy." Yumi said all of a sudden. She turned to me and to her husband with a sad smile on her face. It's also obvious that she just finished crying.


"I know." I quietly replied. "Don't let yourself get depress Yumi. That'll be bad for your baby's health."


If there's another people who surely did got hurt of the news, it's Yumi. She's the older sister that Eunmee never had. 


"Has her dad came by already?" Hankyung finally spoke. 


"Neh. He just went out to talk to someone important." I've never seen her dad cried just like a while ago. Mr. Kim weakness is Eunmee. She's his only daughter and he loved her more than anything else.


"What about Donghae? Have you told him already?" Yumi asked. 


"I." I sighed. "I don't know how will I tell him this. Donghae is Eunmee's best friend and he's almost her brother. I don't know how he will react to this."


"I think it'll be better if we inform him as soon as possible. He has the right to know Yunho."


Yumi has a point. After all, he's her best friend. But, how will I tell him?


A few moments of silence, the door suddenly burst open, letting Kyuhyun, Henry and Sunday in, who quickly ran over to Eunmee's side.


"Omo. Eunmee unni..." As soon as her name escaped the younger lady's mouth, tears started to trim down on her face.


"We came as soon as we finished our works." Kyuhyun explained quietly. Sure the three dongsaengs looked very tired, plus their puffed eyes. Obviously, they cried also.


"Mmmmmn." Eunmee stirred in her sleep, making all of us gather on her side.