Chapter 26

Our Secret Love

Eunmee's POV

 

I woke up with Donghae, sleeping beside me. I stared at him. He looked so peaceful and calm. This is the scene I've always wanted to see every morning I wake up for the coming days of my future. My future with Donghae himself. Him, me and if ever, our child of our own. We will build our family, and we will be happy. Like how a real family is.

 

"Good morning Eunmee." I whipped my head towards the voice, my mom standing by the door. She wasn't wearing her lab coat, must be her off or something.

 

" Morning." I managed to put on a small smile. After the small talk I had with Donghae last night, somehow, my heart softened for her, for my own mom. Even though that sounded foreign, I missed this feeling of having to say mom to my own mother.

 

"He's still asleep? He must be tired watching you overnight." I remained quiet after hearing what mom said. Of course he would that. He's Donghae after all, being the overprotective guy he is. Especially when it comes to me. I let out a soft sigh, returning my gaze to him.

 

"Do you wanna go out for some fresh air first? That'll be good for you, you know. And so you can let him rest for a while." I didn't hesitate and nodded. She guided me, though feeling a bit uncomfortable. Its the first time in years she've held me.

 

"Come on."

 

We walked along the quiet hallway out in to the hospital garden. A few patients were also out, doing their own things. We spotted an empty bench and sat with distance between us. It was awkward. Awkward that I wished that I didn't say yes earlier. But maybe this is the perfect moment for us to talk, finally.

 

"How are you feeling?" My mom started.

 

"Uhm, better. Thank you." I bowed my head as I answered, not even daring to look her way. 

 

"I'm sorry. If you feel uncomfortable with me around darling. I, I honestly don't want you feeling that way. I just want to make sure you're in a perfect condition and you'll get cured, under my care. It's-"

 

"Why?' I cut her off, wanting to hear answer for the question that's been ringing my head for years.

 

"Why what?" She asked back, surely confused.

 

"Why did you leave me? Why did you leave us?" I finally had the courage to voice out my emotions. Tears glistened on my eyes, and my heart beat starting to pound against my chest as I saw how my questions caught her in surprise.

 

"I, I did it for you Eunmee. I thought then, after I found out about your condition that if I leave and study, I'll come up to a cure that will help you. I didn't tell anyone else, even your father because I was scared. Scared to break the two of you." She held my hands. The direct skin contact made me flinch. I felt her soft and warm hands, surprisingly giving me comfor. Her warmth seemed to reduce the pain and anger I've been holding up inside of me for so long.

 

I took up everything she said as my tears betrayed me and escaped my eyes. As when she wrapped her arms around me, I scooted closer to let her envelope me in to a hug I've been dreading to feel for almost 20 years. This is the touch of a mother I yearned for everynight before I sleep, everytime I get sick and everytime I feel down. 

 

 

"I did this, everything for your own Eunmee. I know it sounds so selfish of me, but I wanted to be the one to save you. I only wanted what's good and best for you. And now, here you are and you will get the treatment that I've prepared so long, just for you. You're going to be okay, and you'll live a normal life. You will get better baby. I'll make sure of that. I won't let the pain we've both felt for leaving you go to waste. Okay?"

 

 

 

Soojin's POV

 

 

We entered my apartment in silence, Yunho's eyes gleaming with happiness while mine says nothing at all. Empty of emotions. Like it has its own mind, my hand trailed down to my abdomen, feeling the invisible bump.

 

"Hey." I felt him wrap his arms around me from behind, his hands resting  just above where mine were. "A penny for your thought?"

 

"I'm worried." I answered him. I wanted to be honest this time. I want to stop pretending that I'm fine, that there's nothing going on. I want him to be able to know what's running inside my head. Or keeping up my emotions might lead me to break down emotionally and it's no good for our baby. Even though everything was unplanned, I do care about the baby growing inside of me. Still this is my and Yunho's blood.

 

"Why? What's making you worry? I'm here. Tell me." He spinned me around making me face him. I can't look at him straight in the eyes. I don't even know how to start telling him the list of my worries. There's just too much

 

"Soojin." He pressed, sternly looking at me with those eyes.

 

"They're not gonna accept us Yunho. No one is going too. Your mom will surely loathe you for this. She only wants Eunmee for you." I voiced out, my words coming out as a whisper. It's true. Everyone is gonna judge me and my baby. And I don't want that to happen especially to an innocent child.

 

"That's why I'm here to protect you. I will do that to keep you and our baby safe. I won't let anyone hurt the both of you. And for my mom, she won't do anything. Trust me." He said everything like he was a hundred percent sure of it. 

 

"Let's get married then." I gaped at him after hearing his suggestion. Did he really just ask me that?

 

"I want you to be my wife Soojin. We're already having a baby. I want us to become an official family. You know how long I've wanted to do this. To marry you finally. Please Soojin." He was claspng my hands together with his. I looked up at him meeting his eyes that are pleading. I don't really know how I should answer him. Of course I do want to marry him also. I badly want to. And I'd be lying if I say I haven't waited for this time too. Now we have a stronger reason to get married.

 

The baby. Our baby.

 

~||~||~||~

 

Eunmee's POV

 

After that emotional talk I had with my mom, there had been a lot of changes. Aside from Donghae, I also have her by my side taking care of me. And it overwhelmed me a lot. After twenty years, I was finally able to feel a mother's love and care. She was making sure that I feel comfortable all the time. Not only me but also Donghae. And what actually makes me happier is that she agrees on Donghae for me. 

 

"How are you feeling sweetheart?" My mom asked me as she entered the room. I just woke up from a very deep slumber after a therapy that happened two days ago. Donghae was outside, talking to someone on his phone, I presume Hankyung oppa.

 

"I feel okay mom. Just a bit sore but relaxed." I smiled, and she just nodded before doing the usual vital checkings on me. I can feel care and tender with her every touch that made my heart swell. How will I not feel better when I have two people who take cares so much for me?

 

"That's good. Donghae's working on the release papers. You'll be able to go home later. And remember everything your doctors told you okay? I won't be able to visit you for tonight. I have to stay here for something." She reminded me, caressing my hair. I can remember her doing this to me when I was still little. 

 

"Mom." I called her in a hush tone. She looked at me with a quiet 'hmn?'

 

"You think, I'll still be able to have my own kids?" I have been dying to ask her this since the other day. When I haven't found out yet about my condition, I was really hoping that I was pregnant then. 

 

She looked a bit surprised hearing me my question. She then held my hand, caressing the back of it.

 

"Of course sweetheart. That's is possible. You just need to be strong. Okay?" She was giving me an encouraging smile. And that's enough to give me hope.

 

"Thank you mommy." It was a genuine thank you I said. The pain that I have felt for twenty years disappeared all of a sudden after I heard the real reason why she left us. I don't have any rights to be mad at all for I was the sole reason why my mom did that. 

 

I need to be okay.

 

I need to be fine and cured.

 

I need a lifetime to be with my mom and fill in the years I wasn't with her.

 

I need to be alive and be alive for Donghae.

 

I need a lifetime to be with him.