Chapter Five

Our Secret Love

Eunmee's P.O.V.

The past few days were blissful. No headaches, no more jealousy, and specially me and Donghae had no fights.


I was on my way to where my car was parked, when I heard Donghae's voice calling out for me from behind. I stopped on my tracks and turned around to wait for him. My heart started beating fast again as soon as I see him. I've never got used to this kind of feeling, even if its been years already. Each time feels like the first time.


"Are you heading home already?" he asked me as we walked together to where my car was.


"Neh. Why?" I asked. He won't ask me out for another date, will he?


"Let's eat dinner at our house. Dad wants to see you." he said, cheekily. Me and his dad, just like him, are close. Mr. Lee Dongjun treats me like his own daughter, so do as my dad to Donghae. We've known each other since we were in grade school, practically we're best friends turned out into secret lovers.


"Why not?" I replied. He led me to my car and even winked at me before closing the door of my car. He let me drive away first, tailing behind me. One thing I badly want to do, is to ride with Donghae anywhere and I would be proudly sitting on his passenger seat to let everyone know that I am Donghae's. But I know it would take a long time before I'll be able to do it.


His dad was actually waiting for us already when we got to their mansion. And Yunho's mom.





It slipped off my mind. Of course, his mom would ask me things about him, why it's Donghae I'm with and not Yunho. Aish.


"Eunmee darling." Mrs. Lee said, giving me a welcoming hug. So does Mr. Lee. "Where's Yunho? Aren't you with him?" she asked after a while. I simply glanced at Donghae who just smiled at me. How can he just smile at times like this?! 


"Uh, he's still at the office auntie. There's a few things he needs to attend on." Of course I was lying. Surely Yunho is already on his way home.


"Shall we eat dinner now dad?" thankfully Donghae suggested that. The two elders lead the way while me and Donghae was behind silently giving each other a playuful glare. 


As we were eating, the two elders kept on asking about my dad and things. I silently prayed that no topics about me and Yunho would be brought up.


And speaking of him..


"Eunmee-ssi. I knew it. It's your car I saw outside." Yunho greeted me as he kissed me on the cheek. He turned to greet their parents and so do as Donghae. "Good thing you pulled Eunmee out of her office." he said, making the others chuckle. I faked one, trying my best to look happy or something.


"Join us for dinner now dear." his mom asked him which he gladly obliged as he sat next to my left while Donghae was on my right. Okay. This situation is really, really, very awkward! I glanced at Donghae and for an answer, I felt him squeeze my hand under the table.


"Why aren't you eating some meat hon?" Yunho asked me after seeing my plate filled with salad only. 


"You must have forgotten that she doesn't eat meat that much. Let her pick between salads and meat, she'll choose salad." Donghae butted in, taking a bite on the piece of his steak. I looked at Yunho who must be kind of embarassed after hearing his step brother.


Honestly, I felt bad for Yunho. Somehow, at times like this, I just wanna tell him the truth. I've been lying to him all along.


"oh, right. It slipped my mind. Oh, well." he went on with his meal, so do I. 


"Eunmee, darling, do you already have a specific date for your wedding day? I was asking Yunho but he told me that you still aren't certain about the day yet." as I expected, the marriage will be brought up. I really can't avoid it since we're together in one room with his mom. 


"Huh? Uh, the wedding day." I have to make up a good answer. But how can I? Yunho's staring at me, so do as his mom and Donghae's dad. I know Donghae, he would just ignore the topic when its being talked about. "Uh, maybe after the last two projects that my team is developing. I need to focus my attention first so I really can't handle pressures at the same time." I explained, hoping that they would buy it. 


"Let's just wait for it mom. You're way too excited to have grandchildren." Yunho told his mom, chuckling. I let out a relieved breathe and felt Donghae's hand, squeeze mine again under the table. I glanced at him and he just smiled at me in return.


Thankfully, the dinner ended without opening another topic about the wedding.


As always, after dinner we would head to the garden to have a hot cup of tea. Me and Donghae were already used to it. Even since, when his mom was still alive, the garden would be our spot after dinner time. And it brings me a flashback that I will never forget for the rest of my life.



Flashback#1


Eunmee's POV


"The dinner tonight is one of the best auntie!" I can't help but praise the awesome cooking skills of Donghae's mom. Right after school, he asked me if I wanna drop by for dinner which I gladly accepted. I always loved spending dinner time at their place because of the warm welcome I get from his parents. We're best friends after all, so do as our parents.


"Yah. You always say that everytime." Donghae teased me as we occupied the garden set where we always drink tea after dinner time.


"Do not!" I rolled my eyes, half annoyed. He just laughed at me, and poured my cup some hot tea while Mrs. Lee was just watching us. His dad had left us after dinner to attend on some office works he brought at home. 


"Okay, okay. Stop it. Or the two of you might end up fighting again and no speaking to each other for three days." Mrs. Lee said, smiling. 


"We were just playing mom. You know how much I love Eunmee that I can't let her stay mad at me even for an hour." Donghae answered with a boyish grin on his handsome face. After I heard what he just, I faked a vomit look which he just laughed at.


"Yeah right." I took a sip on the hot cup of my tea. I was caught off guard that it was too hot that it burnt my tongue and the cup slipped out of my hand, the hot liquid poured into my lap.


"Aaaaaaaaaaah!" I screamed in pain, the hotness searing through the fabrics of my skirt that gives more pain. Donghae quickly grabbed a table towelette and started wiping off the hot liquid on my thighs. 


"." he cursed in his low voice when he saw my teary eyes and at the same time the exposed part of my legs getting red because of the effect of the temperature of the tea. "Bring me an ice pack!" he yelled at the maid who served us the tea that quickly moved to follow her young master. 


"O-oppa. Calm down." I was the one who's scared because of his voice, he looked and sounded so mad.


"Look at your legs Kim Eunmee! How can I calm down?! You might get your skin burned!" he angrily snatched from the maid the ice pack to place it on the spot where the tea poured the most. Unlike his voice, the way he compresses the ice pack on my legs were gentle and soft. He was making sure that I don't get any pain from it.


"We should put some ointment on that dear." the gentle Mrs. Lee told me. Donghae was still taking care of the ice pack and my legs.


"N-neh." I was still scared of Donghae. I don't know why but the way he got so worried gives me a flattering feeling.


"Don't you think we should see a dermatologist for it mom?" his voice sounds so calm now. And his gentleness remained. There was no anger in his voice nor eyes anymore.


"There's no really need for it. Maybe the ointment that auntie was saying will be fine." he looked at me sharply and was about to say something but I outfirst him and smiled. "It's already fine Donghae-ssi." he just stared at me for a while and surrendered with a sigh.


"Arasso." he just replied. "But the ointment mom. Can you get it?" he asked his mom who nodded smiling before leaving the two of us. 


Silence ate the two of us. He was so quiet as he was holding the ice pack against my thighs. That was the only time I realize how awkward our position was. His hand was brushing against my thigh and it brought different kind of feeling into my stomach. Like butterflies filling it in. He must have noticed me, staring at him and at his hand, that he quickly let go of the ice pack, letting it rest against my thigh alone. 


"I, uh, I'm sorry." he apologized without even looking at me. I also felt the awkward feeling wrapping us up. 


"It's okay." my voice sounded so small like a whisper. I heard him sigh before finally looking at me. His features soften as concern filled in his eyes.


"Be careful next time Eunmee. You might end up hurting yourself and what if I wasn't there to watch you?" because of what he said, I felt extremely special because of him. More butterflies filled my stomach in, and his words made my heart beat faster than usual.


I remained quiet, still processing his words in my head. How can he say such words to me? Since when did he became so protective of me? I was so out of my mind that I didn't even notice him kneel in front of me. He gently took my hand and clasped it against his.


"I love you Eunmee. That's why I am like this to you. I want to protect you with all of my best. Though I know, someday, it's not the two of us. But still, I want to stay by your side. Love you, take care of you, and make you happy." I was caught off guard by his words. Does he know about my dad's agreement to his friend? And if he does, how did he knew it?


"Y-you. H-how?" I was stuttering already as I can feel the hot tears, threatening to escape my eyes. He clasped our hands tighter as he pressed his lips against my hands. He took a deep breathe before he had the courage to look at me. 


"I heard my dad and your dad talking about Yunho's dad's last will for his son." a sad smile crossed his handsome face. Seeing him like that brings a very unbearable pain to my heart. I can't stand it, seeing him like this. "It's okay Eunmee. You don't have to return what I feel for you. I'm already okay with it, you being aware of what I really feel for you." he let go of my hands then cupped my face so gently. The feeling of his warm skin against mine is something I wanna feel for the next years of my life. Right then and there, I realized myself that I am also in love with this guy. 
But even before I can say a thing, he quickly let go of me. When I heard his mom's voice, my senses came back to reality. I wiped off the trails of tears on my cheeks and remained quiet.


"Here it is dear." she handed the small tube to me. "I'll ask the maids to prepare us a new tea." she smiled at us before leaving again.


"I'm sorry if I messed up with your thoughts. You. You can just forget about everything I said." he wasn't looking at me again. This time around, I got up and occupied his mom's seat next to him. I took his hand and held it tightly.


"Look at me." I asked him. When I got no response, I used my other hand to make him look at me which successfully happened. I just stared at him, his cute expression making me chuckle.


"Wae? What's funny?" he asked, confusedly looking at me. 


"You look really cute." I just smiled. "What you said, what you know, it doesn't matter. I think, we even feel the same way." I honestly told him.


"This isn't the right time for us Eunmee. But, what I feel for you won't change." I understand what he meant by his words. And I do accept it whole heartedly. "Let's stay the way we are right now." I just simply nodded, as he placed a kiss on my forehead. That was the first ever kiss I got from him.


End of Flashback #1



I secretly glanced at Donghae, with a smile. Remembering that time, brings me the million reasons why I fell in love with him. That night was the start of my feelings, slowly growing into something that won't end until my very last breath.


"Donghae darling, Jessica dropped by here earlier. And she brought me a bag from Paris. How nice of that girl, right?" Mrs.Lee said, making my ears ring. Oh good, now it's Yunho's mom.


"Is that so auntie?" Donghae simply answered. He's trying to show them that somehow, he has interest hearing about Jessica's visit. 


"Why didn't you asked her to stay for dinner mom?" Yunho asked next.


"I did, but she said she has a lot of appointments to attend. She also asked me if I wanna shop with her sometimes. And who am I to turn down such offer? I said we can also tag Eunmee along which she's also excited about. What do you think Eunmee dear?" I was kind of surprised hearing her suggestion. 


Oh . What would I say?


"Huh? Uh, neh. It's a great idea auntie. If I have no works, maybe, we can, uh, go shopping." I faked a smile. In a few more months, I'm sure, I'll be mastering the fakest smile of all fake smiles.


"You and Jessica would be a lovely couple Donghae. Don't you think you can bring back what you had in the past?" Mrs.Lee's question shocked me secretly. Secretly, I'm hurt.


If she only knew what am I to Donghae..


If she only knew what I promised to Donghae's mom..


If she only knew what's the real meaning behind the ring I'm wearing..


If she only knew that I love Donghae..