Chapter 23

Our Secret Love

Regular POV


The search for Eunmee and Donghae continued. It's been almost a week already since they left but still, they don't have any trace of their whereabouts. And this makes Mrs. Lee angrier. She can't watch her son suffer anymore from humiliation. Anytime soon, if this take another week, the truth will be revealed. That Korea's famous heiress, ran off with her bestfriend, leaving her fiance like a fool.


And she can't let that happen. Never.


"Oh. Mrs. Lee. It's a pleasure for us that you're visiting our bank." The manager welcomed her inside his cozy office, with a smile. "What can I do for you madam?" He added.


"Your bank is holding Donghae's fund, am I right? Even his credit cards?" She frankly asked. She won't beat around the bush anymore. If her husband won't move, then it's her task to do what's to be done.


"Uh, yes madam. Why? Is there something wrong with our service? We can-"


"Freeze all of his accounts. Freeze his credit cards." She said calmly, like its nothing that surprising as freezing her step son's bank accounts. The manager just stared unbelievably at her, his mouth agape a little bit.


"B-but, he just used his credit card in Los Angeles madam." The manager even stuttered but she didn't care less. What he just said made her blood run alive.


"What did you say? Los Angeles?" She asked, confirming that she heard right. The poor startled manager just nodded, stating that Donghae used it to pay for hospital bills, hotel bills and even stores from Rodeo Drive. All along, there's already a way to find out where her step son is. She should've did this earlier.


"But madam, are you really sure I should, uh, freeze the account of young master?" He asked, hesitantly.


"Yes. I am sure." She firmly said, not even thinking of changing her decision.


"B-but, CEO said that w-we couldn't, uh, do such thing to the young master's account unless from the CEO himself." Upon hearing the explanation of the manager, her eyes went into slits because of anger. She can't believe her husband had did such.


"Ani. The CEO is aware already. Freeze Lee Donghae's bank account and his credit cards. And for what hospital did he exactly use his card?"


"Los Angeles Doctor's madam." The manager, answered. She gave him no choice but to obey to what she wanted him to do.


After making sure of everything, she quickly left the bank and headed to her husband's office with fury, building up inside of her. By what her husband did, she felt as if she's betrayed. She remembered the night she first asked him to freeze the accounts, he badly declined. He must've did it after that conversation.




"Yeobo. What are you doing here?" Mr. Lee asked, with surprised in his voice, seeing his wife, enter his office. He didn't even noticed the furious looked on her face.


"Why didn't you freeze his account?!" She almost screamed, as soon as they were alone inside his office. The sudden question surprised the old man, looking at his wife with a weird expression.


"What are you saying?"


"You didn't freeze your son's account like I asked you! I told you to freeze Donghae's account so they would come back as soon as you did it! It's been almost a week already, and you haven't done anything! Are you really even looking for them?!" She snapped, giving her husband glares.


"Yeobo. Will you calm down? We're searching for Donghae and Eunmee, but the freezing of account, I don't have the heart to do that to my son. Plus Eunm-"


"Your son! Then what about my son?! Huh?! Isn't it enough that they humiliated my son?! Isn't that enough reason for you to do what I'm asking?! If you really treat Yunho as your own, you should've done it the very first day they went missing!" She cut his words, screaming her thoughts and anger out.


"Yeobo, please. Will you calm down?" He asked, pleading already. He's torned between his own son and wife.


"I won't calm down unless you bring back your son here, and make Eunmee marry Yunho!" She answered, her voice, sounding cold as ice. "Can you even do that huh?! Tell me, you already know where they are. You already know yet you aren't telling me! You're hiding it from all of us! Of course you know. Because you let him use his cards for paying the hospital bills for Eunmee. How can you do this to me Dongjun-ah?! How can you?!" Her husband avoided her eyes, which only means one thing.


She's right. He knew all along.


"You're supporting your own son to be like his mother." She spat, distaste obvious on her voice. "If you won't do anything to bring them back, then I will." And with one last glare, she left his office slamming the executive door hard.


He can't blame his wife. He really kept everything that he already knew where they could find Eunmee and Donghae. Yet, he didn't tell anyone.


Flashback..


Dongjun woke up around midnight, feeling that his wife isn't beside him anymore. He looked around and saw her, outside the balcony, peacefully watching the night sky. Only when he got closer, he noticed her holding Donghae's picture on her arms.


"Yeobo. Why are still awake?" He sweetly asked, standing beside her. In return, his wife just smiled at him.


"Oh. I just though I needed some fresh air." She answered.


He took the picture frame from her, and stared at their son's picture where he's with Eunmee, the two of them smiling during Donghae's high school graduation.


"I can't believe that its been years already. Feels like it's just yesterday when you gave birth to Donghae. And now, he's all grown up and one of the most sought after bachelor." He chuckled, gently touching the glass surface of the picture.


"Neh. I also can't believe it. Our little Donghae is now someone who's successful like his father." She smiled lovingly at her husband as she answered.


"What do you see, looking at Donghae and Eunmee?" He turned to his wife, with questioning eyes as he heard her question.


"What do you mean yeobo?" He asked.


"I won't agree that they're just best of friends. They look at each other differently from how friends are supposed to. Our son, his eyes are only set on Eunmee. Can't you see that yeobo? He's in love with Eunmee. And Eunmee feels the same for our son." She answered her own question, clarifying things for him.


What she said was right. For his observation. He can see Eunmee and Donghae nothing close to being best friends, but more than that. The way his son looked at his best friend, the way he cared for her so much, it's cleary seen.


"What are you trying to say yeobo?"


"I know, the time will come that the two of them will suffer from the same situation we've been through yeobo. And I don't want Donghae and Eunmee to be in the same boat like us. Once is enough. What happened to us shouldn't be done anymore. Not especially by our son, Dongjun-ah. Not to Donghae. When I know, I won't be beside him anymore if that time would come." He saw how sadness flickered on his wife's eyes.


"I also don't want him to experience what we had yeobo."


"Promise me something."


"What is it?"


"Help your son and Eunmee in the future."


End of flashback..




He sighed, settling down on his executive chair. He felt his body, aged older that he's real age. Everything is getting harder not only for him, but also for Donghae.


"Dongjun-ah." He looked up and saw Eunmee's dad, enter his office. He smiled at his old friend, welcoming him in.


"Have a seat Sungjo-ah." He invited him.


"I saw her walk out. She knows already, right?"



Eunmee's POV


I quickly got up from laying down to clearly see the owner of the voice. And seeing her face to face after 20 years, different kind of emotions ran through my heart.


"U-Umma." I stammered, the word I haven't used for years, escaping my lips.


"Princess." She said, taking a step closer to me. I felt my body froze, unable to react at all. Seeing her right in front of my eyes, it feels like a dream. All along, I thought that she's dead already. She left us without saying anything and here she is, right in front of me after 20 years.


I felt her arms wrap around me, but I send no response. My mind was blank yet my eyes are b with tears. I can feel her sob but my body just became stiff. I don't know how should I react. Not at all.


"I missed you so much Eunmee. Mommy missed you." She whispered, cupping my face with both of her hands. I can't find the right words to say. My heart in stirr of different emotions. Happiness, anger, disappointment, name it all.


"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry if I have to leave you princess. I'm really sorry." She cried, caressing my cheek. My tears just went on, my eyes staring blankly at her.


"Don't worry. Mommy's here now. I will do everything to make you feel better Eunmee. I won't leave you anymore." Her words triggered me up. I don't know why but I just found myself pushing her away from me. Anger ate me up, my eyes fiercely staring at her.


"Don't. You're not my mother. She died twenty years ago." The words slipped my lips, my heart aching. Why now? Why does she have to show up now that 20 years had passed already?


"Eunmee." I can see her eyes clouded with sadness. It was the same eyes as mine the day my dad told me the truth.


"I don't know you! You're not my mother! I'm not your daughter! Get out of here!" I cried, to the point of getting hysterical. The door opened, Donghae rushing in.


"Baby. What's wrong?" He comforted me, his arms around me already.


"Get her our of here babe. Please." I begged him, not wanting to lay my eyes on her anymore. I buried my face on his shirt, my tears falling nonstop. I heard him say a quite please and a few moment passed by, I heard the door being closed.


"Baby. Why? What's wrong? What happened?" He asked me, running his hand on my back to comfort me. I just stayed quiet, crying like a little girl.


"Sssssh. Baby, please. Stop it. Your mom is here just to see you. To help you." I looked up at him, my eyes in disbelief.


"Y-You knew?" I stammered looking at his eyes directly.


"I'm sorry." That was all he said. I struggled out of his grip in anger. "Eunmee."


"Leave me alone!" I spat at him, almost yelling. He just kissed me on the forehead and quietly left the room. I was left alone, my tears never ending. I can't help not to sob anymore. Everything is just too surprising. It felt like a whirl wind of emotions, of surprises, of not so pleasant happenings. I can't believe that Donghae knew about it. How can he?


An hour passed by, seemed that long though I'm not really sure, the door opened and Donghae walked in. I chose to ignore him, rolling on the other side of the bed. I felt the other side of the hospital bed be occupied, his presence obviously next to me.


"I'm sorry." He whispered, his hands slowly crawling their way around my waist. I didn't move an inch, though my heart almost rip its way out of my chest. I closed my eyes, which are now b with tears.


"I know. You're surprised baby. I'm sorry for not telling you before hand. It was a reckless move. Cause I thought you'll be happy when you see her." I let him explain, not cutting his words. Sooner or later, I know, I can't be that stubborn when it comes to him. He's the last thing that I can hate.


"If you would only give her a chance to explain, you'll understand. I know you Kim Eunmee. You're the type of person who can't hold grudge against someone. Especially not when its your mom. I know you that much and I am sure even if you don't admit it." Painful it might be to think but he's right. Holding grudge or getting mad at someone is something I'm not good at.


"Arasso. You're right. As always." I answered, my voice almost a whisper. He chuckled lowly, kissing my cheek.


"Don't cry now, okay?" He told me, turning my body around so I would face him. I just nodded, hugging her back.


"You know, I'm doing this because I love you Eunmee." His voice soothed me like he's rocking me to sleep. Of course I understand him. More than anything.


"I know." I just replied, my eyes slowly closing. I can feel my body slowing running out of energy after spending an hour crying. It's not only my physical condition that matters, but my emotion should also be watched out.