Chapter Ten

Our Secret Love

Chapter Ten


Eunmee's POV

I gently opened my eyes, revealing six figures in front of me all in all. Sunday and Yumi both in tears while the others have the same sad expression on their faces.


"Hey." I felt Yunho's hand on mine. I wanna say Donghae's name out loud but I know I can't. I looked around and got more depressed not seeing his face.


I just groaned in reply. I recalled what happened again. I can remember waking up, and the doctor explaining my condition. 


"You're experiencing 3rd stage of chronic leukemia Miss Kim."


That's the last words I heard from Dr.Shin before I lost consciousness again. I'm suffering leukemia. And it's on its third stage. 


That's the reason why I always experience painful headaches. Why I often have bruises. My life is almost ending. I only have a few years to live, if I'm lucky.


I thought, I'm already... pregnant.


I absent mindedly touched my abdomen, feeling more disappointed.


"Why? Are you feeling some pain hon?" Yunho asked in a panic voice. I shook my head and smiled a little.


"How are you feeling noona?" Our group's magnae asked me.


"I'm feeling energized." I smiled at Henry as I replied.


Silence ate all of us. Only the beep of the hospital machine can be heard inside my private suite. I took time to look at each one of them, studying their expressions as a lot of things are running inside my mind.


"You know, this. My condition, it's not something that can change my life from the way it is. It can't stop me from living my life as I did for the past 24 years of my life. It won't take anything away from me. Well, except for money." I chuckled at my own joke hoping that they would do the same. But all I got in response were sad smiles.


"Unni." Sunday choked out, trying hard not to sob. 


"I'll be fine. It's not like I'm gonna die quickly." 


"Eunmee. Don't talk like that." Hankyung scolded me lightly. I chuckled quietly. Hankyung just shot me a stop-it-now-or-else look.


"I guess you guys need to have some rest also. You're all tired from work. Especially you Yumi. That's bad for your baby." I said, breaking the deafening silence between us.


Kyuhyun agreed with us and they all bid their goodbyes except for Yunho who insisted to stay with me the whole night.


"You should get some rest Eunmee." 


I just nodded and stayed laid down on the hospital bed. I sighed, thinking of Donghae. I guess, this thing I had in me is the Lord's way to let me know that I've done such big sin. I know I deserve this after what I've done to Yunho and to all of the people who thought I'm the perfect heiress. 


I do deserve this.


For making a fool out of Yunho.



I glanced at Yunho who's blankly staring at the turned off television.


"Yunho..." I called him, my voice came out as a whisper. He turned to me with me a smile.


"Neh?"


I motioned for him to come nearer which he quickly did. In a swift movement, he's already next to me.


"Wae? Is there something wrong hon?" He asked. 


Should I tell him already?


Will he be so understanding to listen to my explanation?



"N-nothing. I, uh, I just want you to stay beside me." 


Lies.


Everything you're saying are all lies Eunmee.



He smiled and gently touched my hair. "Have some rest. You need to regain your strength. Dr.Shin will be back tomorrow to talk to you and to your dad." He explained.


"What about Donghae? Is he back already?" I finally had the courage to ask him. 


Donghae. He should be the one who's right next to me.


"He's still in China with Ryeowook and Jessica."


"Have yo-"


"Not yet honey. None of us really know how we should break it to him." He explained, slightly brushing off a few hair strands out of my face.


I get what he was saying. His mom died of cancer. And how can he cope up with me, his bestfriend, his only love, has a chance to die of the same reason that took away his mom's life.


I just nodded at him, my chest slightly constricting. 


How should I really tell him this? I don't wanna break his heart.


"Don't tell Donghae anything about this Yunho." I told him with plea. 


He looked at me surprised look in his face. 


"Eunmee. He's your best friend. He deserves to know." He defended his step brother. I know he has the right to know. Especially, he really is my best friend.


"I know. But he'll get hurt. He's been hurt too much because of this kind of situation Yunho."


"You're talking as if you're gonna die. You'll get better soon." 


"We don't have anything to hold on about that." I sadly smiled, placing my hand over his. I glanced at me, his eyes speaks the same sadness. 


"Let's not expect anything Yunho." 


"Have some rest Eunmee." He placed a kiss on my forehead, indicating that our little arguement is over now. I had no choice but just to nod and really have some rest. 



Donghae's POV


As soon as the plane landed, I rushed out of the airport to visit Eunmee at her apartment. 9'o clock is still early for her. She's surely spending time in front of her flat screen tv. She's still not answering any of my calls. I wonder why.


"Yah! Donghae-ah. Where are you going?" I heard Jessica called out to me as I was about to enter my waiting car.


"Huh? Uh, I'm going home now. I'm too tired because of the flight. I just wanna have an early rest." I lied. Oh shoot. I remembered that she wanna have late dinner with me and Ryeowook. And I agreed.


"Oh. Arasso. But if you change your mind, we'll be at the restaurant I told you." She reminded me with a smile.


"Neh. Don't worry." I gave her a final wave before slipping inside the vehicle. I started the engine and drove out of the airport premises. Splitting my attention in two, I dialled Eunmee's number and waited for her to pick up. I've heard numerous rings but still, I got no answer from her.


What's wrong with her? Why isn't she answering her phone?


I dialed Yumi's number next and thankfully, she answered after only a couple of rings.


"Yeoboseo?" 


"Neh. Yumi. It's me Donghae." I heard a soft gasp from her when she recognized my voice. What's wrong with them?


"Oh. D-Donghae-ah. You're already, uh, back." She replied. She isn't stuttering, is she?


"Yeah. I just got out of the airport. I'm just wondering if you're with Eunmee. Or have you seen her? She isn't answering any of my calls and I'm already getting worried of her." I asked my questions in full speed.


Yumi's POV


"Yeah. I just got out of the airport. I'm just wondering if you're with Eunmee. Or have you seen her? She isn't answering any of my calls and I'm already getting worried of her." Hearing Donghae ask of Eunmee, I just can't explain what sadness I'm feeling. 


I bit my lower lip, preventing myself to sob although tears are clouding are my eyes.


"Where are you right now Donghae-ah?" I just asked him to divert the topic. I guess, Donghae has to know it already. Sooner or later, he might find it out anyway.


"Uh, on my way to my place. Why Yumi? Is Eunmee there with you?" 


"Can. C-Can you drop by here at our place Donghae? We have to talk." I sighed, finally decided to tell him.


"Sure. I'll be there in ten." I said a simple goodbye before hanging up on him. I felt Hankyung place a hand on my shoulder.


"Are you sure you'll tell him already?" He asked me.


"He deserves to know baby." I smiled faintly at him with my simple answer. "Where's Yunho? Is he with Eunmee right now? Surely, Donghae would run there later."


I can already see what Donghae will do next after he hears what I will say regarding Eunmee's condition. 


"No. He's at Jeju right now for some business meetings. He'll be there until tomorrow afternoon. It's Sunday who volunteered to look after Eunmee tonight." He informed me.


I just nodded and sat down on the couch. I have to think of the right words to tell him. Either way, he'll have the same reaction. He'll get hurt even more. His mom died of cancer and the girl he only loved, and will only love, has the same illness. It will surely break his heart even more. 


Devastation is surely going to ruin him.


"I'll help you baby. Don't worry." He comforted me with a hug. 


Oh Lord. Why is this happening to us?


Is this the rightful payment for what Eunmee and Donghae has done?



We waited in silence for a few minutes before one of our house maids entered the drawing room and informed us that Donghae has arrived already. He followed in, still in his travelling clothes.


"Hey." He greeted us. I welcomed him with a hug. As soon as I hugged him, tears just wanted to escape my eyes. They might have done something wrong but the both of them doesn't deserve this punishment.


"Have you been crying Yumi? What happened?" 


"Donghae. There's." Even before another word escape my lips, tears started to cloud my eyes. 


"Wae? What's wrong Yumi? Why are you crying?" He then turned to Hankyung who's quiet right beside me. "What happened Hankyung?"


"Eunmee's at the hospital right now Donghae-ah." And that finally brought me to tears. Automatically, worry crossed his face.


"WHAT?! Wae? What happened to her?" Panic can be sensed on his voice. I calmed myself a bit, and turned to him.


"She's diagnosed with chronic leukemia Donghae." I felt a twing of pain as the truth slipped from my lips, moreover seeing his dreadful reaction. 


He looked like as if his world had been turned upside down. Colors had ran out of his face.


"W-What? You're kidding me are you Yumi? Hankyung? You're kidding, right?" He's trying to convince himself that everything is just some kind of joke or prank that we're pulling at him.


I shook my head, my tears unstoppable. 


"Her cancer has reached 3rd stage already Donghae." Hankyung explained in one sentence, looking dreadful as well. I know it is hard for him as well to break such news to a guy he knows who loved the girl more than his life.


"Where is she?" His voice turned out as a whisper as he asked us, avoiding our eyes. I can see that tears will soon escape his eyes. And it'll bring more pain to me and to my husband seeing our friend suffer.


"She's still at the hospital."


Donghae's POV


"She's diagnosed with chronic leukemia Donghae."


I must have been gone deaf. This can't be happening to us. Not again.


First it was my mom, and now Eunmee. The girl I love and will only love for the rest of my life.


Why is this happening?! After hearing out Yuri's words, I ran out of their house and got inside my car. That was the only time the reality sunk in to me. Eunmee has cancer. Stage 3. 


Tears clouded my eyes once again. I can feel my chest wanting to burst because of too much pain. How can I handle this once again? When I lost my mom, Eunmee was the one who helped me. But thinking about it with Eunmee, no. I just can't.


I won't give up this time. This time is the best time for me to fight for her and prove them all that I love Eunmee more than anything else in this world.