Chapter Six

Our Secret Love

Chapter Six


"You and Jessica would be a lovely couple Donghae. Don't you think you can bring back what you had in the past?" Mrs.Lee's question shocked me secretly. Secretly, I'm hurt.


If she only knew what am I to Donghae..


If she only knew what I promised to Donghae's mom..


If she only knew what's the real meaning behind the ring I'm wearing..


If she only knew that I love Donghae..



"You know being committed isn't in my mind right now mom." Donghae politely smiled at his stepmom.


"But you're not getting any younger my dear. You should start thinking about that right now. Your best friend might out first you." And she chuckled. She knew how close me and Donghae are. And she was even happy of it, saying that her future daughter-in-law has a very nice soon to be brother-in-law. If she only knew.


"I know mom. But, there'll be a right time for that." 


"You know, your mom would want the same thing for you right now Donghae. And I know that you know that." There's a sincere smile on her face. And what she said, brought an unforgotten memory back to life.. 



Flashback #2..


I entered the grand living room of the Lee mansion to find, only Mrs. Lee Hae-Ra, sitting alone on the couch while she absent mindedly sips on her tea. I carefully walked over to her and bowed in respect. She was even quite startled to see me.


"Oh, Eunmee darling! Thank you for coming in such short notice." she said as she gave me a warm hug. We occupied the couch as a maid served me a tray of snacks and tea.


"You're welcome auntie. And I don't have too much works to do anyway." I smiled before taking a sip on the tea. Me and Donghae already works for the GTC, so do as Yunho. And I'm afraid, anytime soon, my dad would announce the formal engagement.


While me and Donghae did stay the same, only we're both aware of what we really feel. We do things that couples do, only the title is the only thing that we lack of. And everything is just a secret. A very huge secret that we can't let anyone else know.


"I missed you Eunmee. It's been a long time since we spent time just the two of us. Without Donghae and his dad." the elegant lady told me, smiling. Mrs. Lee treats me as if I'm her own daughter. She often tells me that I am the daughter that she never had. 


"Neh. It's been a few months already auntie." I returned the smile. A few seconds of silence passed us by, only the sound of Mrs. Lee humming a melody can be heard.


"Eunmee-ssi." I turned to her. A serious expression was on her face and I can tell that she's bearing something huge. "I know, you're already informed by what I'm going through right now. I'm sure, Donghae had told you already." I now got what she was trying to say. A few weeks ago, Donghae had cried in front of me, big time as he told me that his mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The news brought me tears also. Mrs. Lee had been like a real mother to me already. And like Donghae, I also love her as my second mom.


"A-auntie." I was too scared to say anything. I don't know what right words to say and how can I help my tears from falling. Just by thinking of her situation, it already makes me wanna cry.


"I only have a few months left dear. It might even be weeks only. But I'm not really afraid of dying." she even chuckled, and I can see how tough she is. She never let an illness defeat the elegance and beauty of someone like her. "It's just Donghae I'm worried of Eunmee-ssi. When I leave." she shook her head yet there was still a smile on her face.


"I want you to promise me something Eunmee. Please?" plea can be sense on her voice. I was too carried away by the sad thought that I just nodded my head.


"I want you to take care and look after my son Eunmee. You're the only person I know that can take good care and understand Donghae. Please Eunmee. Take care of Donghae, don't ever leave him. Even if the day of your wedding will come." she said as she looked straight into my eyes. 
I was unaware of the tears trickling down on my cheeks. It pains my heart hearing such words from her. Especially that it has something to do with the man I always loved.


"N-neh. I will auntie, I promise." I nodded my head. She squeezed my hand lovingly before pulling me into a tight hug.


"Don't cry sweetie. Oh, how I wish I could still see you and Donghae fight for what the both of you feel." she said, as she rubbed my back to calm me down. "Now, I'm all set to leave. I'm already certain that my baby boy would have someone like you by his side, Eunmee."


And that was the last time I talked to Mrs. Lee. The next day, she died. I didn't saw any signs of weakness that day before, or maybe she's just really prepared to leave after she left me her last wish. Not just for the sake of auntie, I would stay by Donghae's side through every storm that will come.

End of Flashback #2..



"Eunmee. Are you okay?" I was pulled out of the flashbacks by the voice of Mrs. Lee. "Don't you like your tea?" she added.
I quickly turned to them and saw four pair of eyes staring at me. 


"Ani. I'm, uh, I'm fine auntie. Don't worry." I forced a smile. I saw Donghae mouth at me something. I simply glanced at my cellphone which I quickly got the idea.


A few minutes after, I saw his name flash on my screen indicating an incoming message.


'What's wrong?' his message said. I knew it, he would just ask what's happening to me. I took a glance at Yunho who's busy discussing something with the two elders and Donghae before typing a reply.


'Nothing. I just remembered your mom. :)' I smiled as I pressed the send icon. I pretended to be listening but waited for his reply.


'Mom? What about her? Thought its about me. :D' I glared at him playfully as I read his message. And right now, he's joking. This guy is really weird.