Responsibility (Nayoung)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Responsibility

Characters: Kim Nayoung

Requested by: baejoohyunswife

===

Rescuing a cute girl in the desert was a cinch. But then comes the really important part…
Responsibility.

•••••

Sejeong and I were sleeping in our makeshift beds within the jungles of Sumatra. We were stuck due to a plane crash. Rescue was coming but we had to wait for five days.

Now, the two of us were snoring themselves to dreamland, with me sprawling on my bed like a sugar glider.

“Nayoung-unnie.” I heard a whisper.

“Nayoung-unnie~” I heard it again but still, I went back to sleep.

“Nayoung-unnie!"

“Huh?” I jolted up to see the girl.

Her name was Kang Mina. I remembered that one time we met her in the desert.

+++

Nayoung was screaming as Sejeong got rid of the quills stuck on her .

“This expedition is…” Sejeong huffed as she threw a quill away “…wasn’t the best idea, right?”

“Tell me about it. I had to get chased by some primate because I made her baby cry-AH !!” Nayoung screamed again.

“That’s the last one.” Sejeong huffed.

Nayoung thanked her but she didn’t get a reply. Nayoung turned around to see Sejeong looking at the desert.

“Nayoung, there’s someone out there.”

“What? All I see are vultures circling around some carcass.” Nayoung said.

“. That’s not a carcass. That’s a little girl.” Sejeong clarified while slapping Nayoung’s head for being such an idiot.

“So what?” Nayoung went back to get her stuff. “Come on. Let’s go back.”

“We can’t just leave her. She could still be alive.” Sejeong said. “I have a hunch that the girl is still alive.”

“If she was alive, vultures wouldn’t circle at her.” Nayoung said whimsically.

“Yah, don’t play around with my hunches.” Sejeong pinches her ear.

“Ow…” Nayoung hissed.

“We’re going to help that girl, whether you like it or not.”

“Okay, okay.” Nayoung said as she just let Sejeong decide.

“Alright. Let’s go and help the girl…” Sejeong grabbed her stick. “…with style.”

Nayoung knew that wink Sejeong was giving and they charged towards the vultures like men at war. Nayoung and Sejeong shooed the vultures away, even Nayoung got to kick one vulture before it flew.
As the vultures flew away, Nayoung and Sejeong cheered.

“Haha, I love doing these things…” Sejeong grinned.

“Works every time…hahaha…” Nayoung chuckled as she scraped some dust off of her clothes.

“Uh oh…” Sejeong crouched closer to the girl. “Let’s have a look at her.”

“Alright…what have we got here?” Nayoung joined Sejeong.

Nayoung checked some vital signs. The girl was alive with no injuries but she couldn’t see her face. As she got it’s hand off of her face, Nayoung gasped.

“No, no…we’re not going to keep a chubby kid.” Nayoung said.

“Hey! It’s just a little girl. Look at her…” Sejeong pats her head. “…she’s so cute and all alone.” Sejeong pulls Nayoung. “Can we keep her?”

“Are you nuts? One, she’s a human and not some pet. Two, she’s chubby and gets hungry easily. And three, our two months of food will last for two weeks thanks to her.” Nayoung said.

“Are you even sure?” Sejeong asked.

“And four, with you caring for this girl, you'll spoil her. Now the food will only last for two days.” Nayoung added and Sejeong jabs her stomach.

“Real funny.” Sejeong hissed. “Come on, Nayoung. She’s still a person stuck in the middle of nowhere, like us.”

Sejeong had a point there. Besides, it was a little girl. And Nayoung doubted that this girl could survive by herself.

“Fine.” Nayoung sighed as she hoisted the girl up. “Maybe having another person in our team isn’t a bad idea.”

“So we’re keeping her?” Sejeong gleamed.

“Pfft-of course. Who’s the brains in this predicament?” Nayoung asked, carrying the girl on her back.

“Me. Because you’re an idiot.” Sejeong said.

“ you.” Nayoung said and Sejeong laughed like a colonel. “Jeez, I'm fried. Let’s get out of here and find some shade.”

•••••

Nayoung and Sejeong got to an oasis close to the jungle and Nayoung puts the girl down. Sejeong checked her vital signs again as Nayoung wiped her face off with a wet towel.

The girl groaned of the contact as Nayoung and Sejeong stopped. The girl's eyes opened and she wondered of the two girls in front of her.

“You okay, kid?” Nayoung asked.

“I guess so…” She answered.

“You nearly died.” Sejeong said.

“I saved you-OW!” Nayoung spoke then winced as Sejeong slapped her arm. “I mean, we saved you.”

“Thanks for your help…” The girl got up and walked away.

“Hey, where are you going?” Nayoung asked.

“Nowhere…” She answered and walked far enough.
Nayoung and Sejeong watched the girl walk away.

Nayoung would’ve let her be but Sejeong was eager to let the girl join them for survival. 

“Gee…she looks blue.” Nayoung commented.

“I’d say pinkish with black hair wearing a shirt and some pants.” Sejeong said.

“And I thought I was the idiot.” Nayoung sighed. “I mean she’s depressed.”

“Oh.” Sejeong mumbled as they went to catch up to the girl.

The girl stopped as she saw her saviors.

“Kid, what’s eating you?” Sejeong asked.

“Nothing. Because she’s at the top of the food chain. Ha, hahahahaha…” Nayoung joked and nudged the girl. “The f-food chain…hehehe…” She stopped as Sejeong raised an eyebrow and the girl was still sad.

“It’s not even funny.” Sejeong commented.

“Well, don’t get mad. I just want to make the child feel better.” Nayoung said then faced the girl. “So, where did you come from?”

“Who cares? I can’t go back.” The girl said and continued walking.

“You’re an explorer? That’s great-so are we!” Nayoung babbled as she stopped her.

“Let’s be serious, Nayoung.” Sejeong sighed. “Let’s start with the basics.”

“Start with the basics?” Nayoung chuckled.

“Shut up.” Sejeong spat then faced the girl. “Tell us about yourself.”

“My name is Kang Mina, 17 years old, now an orphan because my parents died in a wreckage.” The girl began. “Just like you, my parents were explorers, engaging in a search for the Lost Ark found here in Sumatra. But with the weather and the difficulty of the expedition, a wreckage happened. I lost my parents, stranded myself in Sumatra, and made a run for it. I didn’t think I'd be lost in the desert. I thought I was going to die.”

“Weird…to think your parents are explorers, at least you’d know basics of survival.” Nayoung commented. “Real talk…”

“You’re not helping.” Sejeong batted.

“She’s right. I was about to learn when happened.” Mina answered.

“Is there anything we can do to help?” Sejeong asked.

“Not unless you can rewind everything back and change the past.” Mina mumbled.

“Well, my buddy Nayoung here used to say this.” Sejeong began. “You got to put your behind in your past.

“What the , that’s not it.” Nayoung jabs the woman on the shoulder. “I’m saying it. Stay put before you hurt yourself.” She faces Mina. “What she means to say it you need to put your past behind you. Look, bad things happen and you can’t do anything about it."

“Right.” Mina nodded.

“Do you have relatives or nah?” Nayoung asked and Mina shook her head.

“So you only have your parents then?” Sejeong asked and Mina nodded again. 

“Oh my…” Nayoung huffed. “Look, here’s the thing…” Nayoung pats Mina’s shoulder. “You’re alone…technically.”

“Yeah…you’re right.” Mina nodded as she was about to cry.

“Way to go, Nayoung. You just made her cry.” Sejeong hissed as she comforts Mina.

“I wasn’t finished!” Nayoung hissed back. “She won’t be because we’re including her in our team.”

“W-What?” Mina wondered.

“Rescue has called but we need to wait. In your case, you can’t survive alone. And being decent people, we won’t leave you.” Nayoung explained. “You will be coming with us.”

“Does that mean…” Sejeong gleamed.

“Yes.” Nayoung nodded.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!!” Mina went to hug the two.

“No problem.” Sejeong said.

“No sweat.” Nayoung added.

“May I know my saviors?” Mina asked.

“ I'm Kim Sejeong.” Sejeong then points at her right. “This is Kim Nayoung.”

+++

Ever since that day, Mina became a part of our team. Sejeong and I taught her how to survive and the youngest of the trio adapted the way of the jungle, such time before rescue could come.

Then again, Sejeong spoilt her like the little kid Mina was. I would scold her sometimes and I would deal with cries from Mina and hisses from Sejeong.
Everyday was hell day. From running around to playing with her, I dealt Mina's antics. And with her waking me up in the middle of the night, I wonders what the annoyingly cute midget was up to this time.

“What?” I asked.

“I have to go.” Mina answered.

“Go? Go where?” I asked as I lay back down.

“You know…go! Take a !” Mina hissed.

“Why don’t you go yourself?” I whined.

“But it’s dark! There might be beasts out there. Please, Nayoung-unnie~~~”

I huffed and got up. Mina was running ahead as I grabbed a flashlight and some toilet paper and followed her.

•••••

Day one before rescue has come and Sejeong and I gasped as we saw Mina climbing a tree. Sejeong would’ve been worried but seeing Mina having fun made Sejeong smile and worry less.

Me? I thought was dying. I’d never forgive myself if something bad happened to the kid.

“Yah, Kang Mina. Get down from there!” I yelled.

“Woohoo! Alright!” Mina swung from one tree to another. “Woah. You guys look like ants down there.” She added a she looked down.

“I’m going to count to three and you better get your down.” I scolded. “One…two…” I counted.

I felt someone push me hard. I got hit on a tree and I went dizzy before seeing Sejeong catching Mina and me collapsing.

“…three.” I fainted lightly.

•••••

Night one fell and everyone was asleep again, except for the youngest…

“Nayoung?” Mina called.

“Gosh, Mina…again?” I huffed and got up.

“I’m thirsty.” Mina pouted.

“Here.” I throws a bottle of water before going back to sleep.

I heard Mina sigh. As I got to bed, I would’ve guessed Mina thought I was a sick motherer.

But no. I’m a sick yet caring motherer.

•••••

Day two came and Sejeong suggests of swimming by the river and we agreed.

I was dipping into the fresh and cool water while Sejeong and Mina splashed themselves. I was in relief. Sejeong would be liable for Mina for today, giving me time-off.

“I need to swim down and get some mangoes by the waterfall.” Sejeong said.

“I’m coming with you, unnie.” Mina cheered.

“Oh no, you don’t.” I stopped her. “You need to swim by the current to get there and cling onto a branch so that you don’t plummet with the waterfalls into the deep water. It’s dangerous.”

“She’s right, Mina.” Sejeong agreed. “Stay with your Nayoung-unnie for a while.”

Mina could only nod as Sejeong swam with the current. I still held Mina like a baby while I plunge deeper in the water.

“Unnie, let go~” Mina whined cutely.

“No.”

“I won’t go swim anywhere and stay put.”

“No.”

“I won’t eat too much and give you your favorite sweet potatoes.”

“Hmm…” I thought about it. “No.”

“I won’t bug that you always liked Sejeong-unnie.”

“Still no.”

“What do you want me to do then, woman?!” Mina asked.

“Stay put and play with the tadpoles over there.” I said, pointing to the shallowest part of the river.

Mina whined but she obeyed anyway. I was glad that Mina was obedient enough. I loved the fact I can boss the little one around without Sejeong around.

The water felt so good and relaxing that I yawned and slept. I dreamed that Mina sensed that I was asleep and a smirk plastered its way towards her face. She tiptoed and went by the river again, just close to the fast current. She slowly swam close to the current and cheered quietly and let herself be carried away.

I jolted up and adjusted my vision. As I watched by the shallowest part of the river, I could flip an imaginary table.

My nightmare came true. Mina was out of sight.

That little…

I looked to the side and saw a body carried away by the current. With the plump face, I knew the culprit.

“.” I dove and swam faster.

I saw Mina lying on her back and I could cuss as I swam but I needed to get to the child before she could fall. I got to Mina's foot but the waterfall was up ahead and Mina was far from my reach again.

“Hang on, Mina! I’ll save you-“

Mina and I fell by the waterfall. Mina was cheering to the extreme. I saw that Sejeong saved Mina. Now I have my own to deal with. I felt a vein pop on my head as she continued to fall.

“WHAT THE !!!” I yelled as I fell on the deep water.

Thank God I know how to swim. I floated instantly, seeing Sejeong and Mina look down. I huffed and swam towards land.

That plump rascal better pray for her life due to my rage later on.

•••••

Night two came. Sejeong was snoring as I joined her when…

“Unnie?”

Great…just great… I thought.

I got up and saw Mina pouting. I sensed that something was wrong. “What’s the matter?”

Mina sniffled then cried. My eyes dilated as I saw a big bug crawling on Mina's head. I hastily grabbed a glass bottle and let the bug crawl inside before catching it.

“This is a Goliath Beetle, the largest beetle in the world. I might have to ask Sejeong for a bigger bottle because this is going to die of claustrophobia.” I said and Mina laughed because she thought it was funny.

“Are you okay?” I asked. “Don’t cry. It’s gone now.”

Mina nodded and went back to sleep. I sighed. Mina might be a pain sometimes but I couldn’t stop worrying for her, let alone take care of her, like Sejeong would do.

What to do, what to do… I could only smile as I pat Mina’s head.

•••••

Day three came and the three of us went on a hike up the mountain for our new shelter, also for a signal to call rescue to get here and save our asses.
Sejeong led the way, Mina was in between and I stayed behind and let Mina hike first so that I can assure that she makes it.

The mountain was thirty meters tall and was very rocky and it would take us two days to get to the top. Another thing was that one should be careful. One mistake could jeopardize the hike, let alone our lives.

The first hike lasted for the whole day. I had the most struggle as I had to carry Mina for six hours because she couldn’t walk another step. Nightfall came and we decided to rest for the night.

“Was I heavy, unnie?” Mina asked me.

“No.” I answered.

Yes. I felt like a boulder fractured my spine.

“I’m turning in first.” I said as she hops in her makeshift bed. “Night.”

I dreamed that Sejeong sighed as she grew worried for me. She looked at Mina, seeing her almost in the brink of sleep. Sejeong thought that the sight was adorable. She laughed and carried Mina to her bed, tucking her to bed. She then went to me, grabbing some ointment from her kit and massaged my sore back.

“You worked hard today.” She whispered. “You may have complained in the first place but you really cared for Mina and I. Thank you, Nayoungie…” She kissed my cheek.

I snored. Sejeong giggled as she also decided to turn in early.

*hours later*

“Nayoung-unnie?”

“Ah!” I screamed as I jolted up. “Why can’t you get the concept of a good night sleep, huh?!!”

Mina should see that I was tired, that my eyes were bloodshot and I had eyebags, so why does she have to wake me up?

But I know she didn’t mean to. She was sorry for disturbing me…

“Actually…I…” Mina stuttered. “…I had a bad dream.”

My gaze softened as I mouthed an ‘oh…’. S
I pat Sejeong's bed before slapping it hard, causing her to wake up.

“Omo-wha…” Sejeong rubbed her eyes. “What is it?”

“Junior here had a bad dream.” I said.
We looked at the cutie all sad while rubbing her eyes.

“D'awwww…why don’t you sleep here with us?” Sejeong asked.

Mina nodded. She and Sejeong followed me by a large makeshift good for the three of us. What made it wonderful was that we can look at the stars.
Mina laid in between, Sejeong was on her right as I was on her left. We looked at the stars before we yawn.

“Good night.” Mina said.

“Sleep tight.” I said too.

“Dream of the rescue team tonight.” Sejeong added and she slept instantly.

Mina laughed as she slept too. I grunted as I felt Mina hug Sejeong and I tight before sleeping peacefully. Sejeong wasn’t bothered but I was at first, but I smile and join the two in slumber.

I hope the rescue team will be delayed so that I can still have quality time with the two, my responsibilities.

===

So, why is there a seventh chapter? Well, a reader wall messaged me, requesting a Nayoung fanfic. I asked which Nayoung (from Pristin or Gugudan) and the reader wanted both. For now, I made the request of Kim Nayoung first.

Comments aren't just a basis for requests. You can PM me or leave a message by my wall as well and I'll make sure to grant them. 

Anyways, I wrote this for a while and it is actually the basis on why I started this one-shot collection. So, hope you guys like it, especially the reader.