Chemistry (Nayoung • Sally)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Chemistry

Characters: Kim Nayoung, Liu Xiening

Requested by: IntelligentYou

===

I was a chill woman. I was almost like my counterpart who's a Stone Buddha, caring less of the petty things happening around me. But today, my senses never fail to drift away from an innocent Chinese woman.

"Heol...someone's awestruck." I heard Haebin.

"Was I?" I asked. "Is it wrong to just look at someone from a distance doing the cutest of things?"

"Not unless you're her girlfriend...which you're not." Haebin reasoned.

"Point taken." I said. "Anyways, have you studied the table of elements for our quiz?"

"I'd rather study the multiplication table, thank you very much. To be honest, I haven't." Haebin said.

"Well, you should." I said, giving her my table. "You at Chemistry, Haebin. Step it up a notch."

Haebin sighed ans studied. I sighed and continued to watch the said girl from a distance.

•••••

I would've been carefree and have fun like the little Chinese kid I was. But as I was making fun of Sejeong and Soyee, I couldn't help a feeling that I was being watched. 

I stopped as I saw a girl, her hair pink, her skin as flawless as a clean canvas, and a stature as tall as Soyee. Despite of sitting down with her legs crossed, I could tell.

"That's super creepy." Sejeong commented as she spoke by my side. "She's been eyeing you for a while now."

"It's whack, like the girl has poobrain." Soyee commented too.

"Watch your words, Soyee." I said. 

I sighed as Sejeong and Soyee ran like little rascals. I got to look at the girl and I smiled. She smiled back, almost falling off of her seat. I chuckled and decided to go with Sejeong and Soyee.

•••••

Poobrain was almost a lame thing anyone could call me, especially if it was from Soyee the giant statue. Nonetheless, how could it affect me?

"You've been staring at the girl again." Haebin said.

I sighed. I got up to drink by the water fountain, unexpecting for anything grand to happen today when I got back to my spot and someone bumped into me.

I looked and my eyes dilated. It was the Chinese girl.

"I'm so sorry." I said, lending a hand.

"It's okay, sunbae." She said.

I was shocked that she was a junior. But I insisted to help her as I hoist her up. With the proximity, I felt my heart pound.

"Thank you sunbae-"

"Nayoung." I said, lending a hand again. "My name is Kim Nayoung."

"Nice to meet you, Nayoung-sunbaenim." She smiled. "I'm Sally."

I couldn't help a smile as I shook her hand back. Now I wouldn't be eyeing her like a stalker. I finally got to know her.

•••••

"Someone scored a point from the pink-haired poobrain." Soyee chuckled.

"She's no poobrain, Soyee." I hissed. "She's actually charming."

"And she's famous for being a model." Sejeong said, showing us a clip of Channel 4. "Kim Nayoung is a model for Cosmopolitan."

"Heol..." Soyee and I gasped.

"Heol, indeed. Let's just say that this senior has a reputation in the modelling industry yet she keeps it hidden." Sejeong said. "She actually modelled for the school tarpaulin."

I looked at one tarpaulin and Nayoung-sunbaenim was in it, posing ao elegantly. I got it and gazed at it for quite sometime.

"I can't believe you found out, God Sejeong."

The three of us flipped out, seeing Nayoung-sunbaenim. Soyee and Sejeong chuckled while greeting her. She nodded with a stoic face at them yet smiled at me. I bowed lightly.

"You two. Shoo." Nayoung-sunbaenim said to Sejeong and Soyee. "I need to talk to Sally personally."

The two dorks nodded and went off. I was now facing Nayoung-sunbaenim as she looks at me, raising an eyebrow. "What are you going to do with that flyer?"

I didn't realize that it was still in my hand. I chuckled and made the urge to stick it back.

"Be honest, Sally." She inches closer and I ended up pressing my back on the wall due to the proximity. "Did you get that flyer off to see that I was a model in it and keep it?"

I could gulp, my heart beating frantically. It wasn't much of a pure motive but a part of it was true. I could only nod, expecting a reject. But as I looked up, she smiled. She even patted my head.

"That's too cute, Sally. You can keep it but how about we just take a selca? That would be better, trust me."

I couls only nod. Nayoung-sunbaenim got her camera and we took a selca. I also got my phone and took multiple selcas with her. I scrolled through the pictures and one caught my eye.

She was doing a kissy face by my cheek. I blushed lightly.

"Send me that pic, Sally. That's the best one." Nayoung-sunbaenim said.

I nodded and shared it to her. It also csme to a point that we shared contact numbers since she asked for it. 

"I'm off to my class. See you, Sally." She smiled.

I watch Nayoung-sunbaenim leave and I felt my heart beat out of love. I giggled like a drunkard and walked liked one too.

"Hehehe...I got me a picture~" I said. "Hehe...where did those dorks go?" I squealed as I looked at our picture again. "I scored me selcas~"

•••••

"You've been giggling like crazy, you ing dork."

"Sh." I said, shutting Haebin up. "I'm looking at a picture of this beautiful girl right here."

It was the selca that I liked shared by Sally. I could blush of what I did, almost kissing Sally's porcelain cheeks. Oh, how I'd love to. She even looked cute with her hair tied up in two buns like the cute Chinese girl she was.

"Omo...not only you look like a psychotic stalker, you're falling for her." Haebin sighed. "Aigoo, love at its finest."

I thought about it. And maybe Haebin had a point.

Ever since Sally got in this school, it was love at first sight. Since then, I always watched over like I was her angel. I fell for her bit by bit without creating assumptions that could down my hopes. And I couldn't believe that I had to make my move at the time that I'll be out of this school.

"Who knew three years turned you into a martyr?"

"You really like teasing me, don't you?" I raised an eyebrow. "She's too innocent like how can we even work out? We're just friends, almost acquaintances. I don't think it will ever reach to a point wherein we'll fall in love."

"But who knows, Nayoung..." Haebin shrugged. "...maybe Sally feels the same."

I could presume that, especially when I witnessed Sally confess about the flyer.

Maybe I could try my luck and assume that she also has feelings for me.

•••••

Sejeong and Soyee were absent due to a csse of the flu. I sighed of their predicament because they ate bad food together and the fact that I was going to be alone for today.

It was lunchtime and I was off to the canteen when my way was blocked. I looked up, seeing other seniors who were iljins. I sighed in my head. It was at this moment that I knew, I was going to be ed up.

"Hey, Sally~ give me five dollars!" One of them spat, lending her filthy hand.

"Me too!" The other one, a fat girl, said.

"To hell if I do." I spat.

"Heol..." Their leader raised an eyebrow. "...then of you don't..." She flexed her knuckles. "...hell will rain upon you."

I gulped. I turned around, getting something from my tote back.

Psyche!!!

I made a run for it.

I stormed anywhere my feet would take me as the three went after me. I thought I would be running the whole day yet some force in the ing universe made me trip. But what shocked me was that someone caught me and hugged me.

"Get lost." 

I could hear the three make a run for it as I found the voice familiar. I feel her off of me as I gasped, seeing her.

"You okay?" She asked, patting my head.

It was Nayoung-sunbaenim.

"Yes." I answered. "Thank you, Nayoung-sunbaenim..."

"What did those idiots do?" She asked. "Are you hurt?"

"They threatened me that I give money. I made a run for it but I didn't expect to bump into you, sunbaenim." Sally said. "I'm fine. I'm not hurt."

"Thank goodness..." Nayoung-sunbaenim sighed in relief. "Why are you alone? Where are Sejeong and Soyee?"

"They got the flu. They're absent." Sally said.

"Say...will you have lunch with me?"

My inner being was like a Lunar New Year celebration. I could feel my heart booming like fireworks. I can't believe she's asking me out. I was loss for words. I could only nod.

Nayoung-sunbaenim stood up, lending a hand. "Let's go?"

I held that hand, sending a jolt towards my chest. We both walked side by side and I gulped of the fact that Nayoung-sunbaenim didn't let go of my hand.

Therefore, Liu Xiening concludes that's she's falling for Kim Nayoung.

•••••

I could go on giggling and cheering that I got closer to Sally. With the incident from last time, I saw her running. And seeing those idiots threatening her made my blood boil thar I had to save Sally from the mess. Not only that, I scored a lunch date with her.

That went on for a week and I was happy as I got to know Sally more, and she with me. Not only that, we would meet up during weekends, hanging out, almost like a couple. 

But we weren't. But I'm making my move to confess to her before it's all too late.

"Sally."

Sally waved at me as she was talking with her Chinese friends. She excused herself and got closer.

"Hi." I said.

"Hello, Nayoung-sunbaenim." Sally said. "What is it?"

"Uhh...can we eat dinner together?" I asked. "There's this restaurant next to the school. I was wondering if you want to have dinner with me."

"Sure, Nayoung-sunbaenim." Sally nodded.

"Great~" I grinned. "Are you busy? Want to grab some drinks?"

"No. And sure." Sally said.

I could smile like a deranged woman as I felt haopy to have another time with the Chinese girl I liked. I could also cuss at myself for being too meek to confess but it was better if I prepare myself for it.

•••••

Later, Nayoung-sunbaenim and I got to the restaurant and I could gasp. It was a fuse of simplicity and luxury. We got to our table and we got served free garlic bread and little cups of bingsu. We ate some and we wowed. The food was really good.

"Welcome to Gx9. Would you like a menu?" The waitress asked. 

"Hmm...more of these appetizers. For the main course, chef's choice of best Chinese food." Nayoung-sunbaenim said.

"Okay." The waitress smiled and went back.

"Sunbae, this is a fancy restaurant..." I said.

"Yes. But believe me, the food is super cheap yet good. I would eat here alone since the restaurant offered it for singles and it's the first time I ate here with someone." She said back.

I was privileged. I wasn't usually the one to talk much but with Nayoung-sunbaenim, I had my mouth babbling.

"Cut the formalities, Sally. Call me Nayoung." She said.

"Okay...Nayoung." I said and it made my heart pound. "And please..." I said. "...call me Xiening."

"Xiening..." Nayoung spoke and her voice sounded soothing. "...what a beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

I felt my heart pound of that. Nonetheless, we got our meals and more appetizers. I wowed of the variety of Chinese food and we dig in.

The food was good and even my time with Nayoung was good, almost like a dream come true. We ended up talking as we were eating, also coming to a point that we both a common favorite subject.

Chemistry.

"You studied about ions?" She asked.

"Yes. I was even made to memorize cations and anions within the whole period." I said.

"How about molarity?" Nayoung asked.

"A bit of it. I don't like problem solving in chemistry much." I said.

"Balancing equations?"

"Now that was one topic I found easy. My classmates would always ask me how I did it." I said and we shared laughter. "What about you?"

"The three you mentioned. But what made me wonder of the whole subject was that why study matter? Would it matter if this piece of dumpling is made up of atoms?" Nayoung said, holding a dumpling up before eating it.

"There's a point for that, Nayoung. Chemistry is a central science. It connects to most branches of sciences that makes our world lovely." I explained.

"Maybe that's a reason why people say that when you're in love, you got chemistry." Nayoung said, looking into my eyes. "I even hoped of a connection with someone, wondering if we have chemistry to make our lives lovely, like right now..." I gulped, feeling my hand. "...because I'm in love with you, Sally."

I was shocked. She even added a 'You heard me..' yet I couldn't believe it. "Nayoung..."

"I'm in love with you." Nayoung said again. "It's almost shallow. It's almost cliché like I couldn't help but believe in chemistry between us. And I would presume, assume, even believe thst one day, it connects us to make ourselves and the world lovely..." She held my hand tenderly. "...and I am in love with you."

I was stunned, feeling a tear drop. I shook my head painfully slow yet Nayoung apologized, shrugging. I sighed in relief. "Me too." I looked up, seeing Nayoung's shocked look. "I'm in love with you too."

"More dinsum?" We looked to see the waitress.

"No thanks. We'll just have the receipt, thanks." Nayoung said.

"No, madam. Here in the restaurant, couples get the meals for free. And seeing you two, well..." The waitress said. "...I see a couple with a unique chemistry."

We were shocked yet it was assured. We thanked her and faced each other again after a dose of confessions. I could lower my head and giggle as I held Nayoung's hand back. 

"So we're official?" Nayoung asked. 

"Watch it, Nayoung."  I said.

"Well we are a couple so-"

"That's because I've already made you mine." I said and Nayoung blushed. "So yeah."

===

Heol...so that was the story. Even I, the author, was shocked of this yet it had to be done. So hope you guys liked it.