Pronunciation (Soyee • Sally)

The Multiplication Table for Readers

Title: Pronunciation

Characters: Jang Sojin, Liu Xiening

Requested by: Zympadzic

===

Pronunciation is an important key in the adverse aspect of language. Not only it makes you sound right and smart but it also helps you not to offend the best of local peeps and the international motherers living in the forsaken world.

As School Council Vice-President of Internal Affairs in SWU, it's important for me to understand that in terms of my communication skills. And recently, it had became my dilemma.

"You're still working on that?" President Hana asked.

"Of course. I need to pronounce this right." I huffed. "Xi...Xie...Edi shing...oh come on!!" I threw the freshman's folder in which VP External Kim Sejeong caught.

"Calm down, giant statue. It's Liu Xiening, but why don't you just call her Ryu Sajeo? Or if you like English names, call her Sally." Sejeong said.

"Wait, how did you know that?" I asked.

"Duh. It's here on her biodata. You got eyes. Use them." Sejeong said.

Sejeong should be thankful that I'm slightly younger than her. If not, I'd kick her back to being a legislator of the Student Council. On the bright side, I couldn't do that. President Hana hates feuds and kicks the baddest of asses and I don't want that to happen to me.

I read the folder again. I gazed at the picture and I could choke. She was a goddess!! I read further, knowing she was Chinese and she migrated here because of family business and because she wanted to pursue high school here.

I put the folder down and slumped on my good old seat, watching the leaves in the brink of falling. I thought of the name of that student and I could take a piss early. Why does the pronunciation of her name have to be complicated in my case and not for the rest of the officers?

But I'm eager to get that name pronounced correctly. 

•••••

Being a freshman and an immigrant, it wasn't easy. It's my first month here in Korea and my first day in my new school. I was huffing, running inside the classroom while I held a map towards my room. I found the room of 1-G and I got inside.

"Sorry, I'm late-" 

*bump*

I hissed and fell on my . I looked up, seeing a tall woman. And boy, she looked hot!

Wait, what the ?!

"Oh no. I'm so sorry." She spoke as she lent a hand.

"No, it's okay." I spoke with my y Korean.

"No, it's not. I feel awful. Please..." She crouched and lent a hand again. 

I took the courtesy and nodded, holding her hand. I loved om how soft it is and my heart beated lightly as she hoists me up.

"T-Thank you..." I bowed lightly.

I looked back up and all eyes were on me and the tall statue of a woman.

"What are y'all looking at?!" Her voice boomed and I yelped lightly. "Omo-mind me for my voice, freshman." She pats my back lightly.

Her firm yet soft hands on my back felt nice. I was out of my daze again as the woman pulled me to the front. She got to her seat as I was in front of the class. I grew nervous.

"Okay, freshman. Just to let you know, the teacher won't be coming. She informed me that she had a personal matter so you'll have to introduce yourself to us without her presence." The tall statue said. "Also, we don't have our class today."

"Y-Yes..." I nodded then bowed. "Ni hao. I'm Liu Xiening, 13 years old from China. Nice to meet you all."

Everyone applauded, even the giant statue.

"Okay, Shining." She said.

"It's Xiening." I corrected.

"Whatever." She batted. "I'm Jang Sojin, 14, the VP Internal of the Student Council. I'm most privileged to meet you. Welcome to SWU and welcome to Korea." She pats a seat next to her. "Your seat is here."

I nodded lightly and I sat next to Giant Statue-I mean-Sojin-ssi. I sat quietly and wondered of today's class. The whole day is vacant and I had to run here. I just wasted my breath and a day at home.

-You think that was polite enough?- She spoke in Chinese.

-You speak?- I asked back.

-Yes. I learned the basics. I'm actually registered as a sophomore here due to my age.- Sojin spoke.

-I see.- I nodded.

-You think that was polite enough?- She repeated my question.

-What's polite?- I asked.

-My greetings- Sojin answered.

"Absolutely." I spoke back in Korean. "Almost like a college student."

"Thank you, Xie...whatever your name is," said Sojin.

"It's Xiening. Xie. Ning." I corrected her again.

"Can I just call you Sally?" She asked.

"You saw my biodata?!" I asked.

"Of course! I'm part of the Student Council. We get access of folders from the registrar sometimes." Sojin said.

"Okay. And yes, you can call me Sally." I smiled.

"And please..." She looks at me. "...call me Soyee."

Soyee...what a cute name for a giant statue...

"Okay...Soyee."

We had small talks until the bell rang. All of us decided to leave the room since we have no classes for today. I got my stuff ready and saw Soyee going out that I caught up to her.

How weird of me to chase a giant statue. But knowing her as a member of the Student Council, I was wondering if she'd give me a tour around the campus since I'm so new here.

Soyee stopped and faced me. She must've sensed that I was following her.

"What is it, Sally?" She asked.

I asked her of that recent thought of a tour yet she didn't answer me right away. Maybe she couldn't or maybe she doesn't want to. Who am I to force her anyways? 

"Sorry for asking..." I spoke slowly.

"It's not that, Sally." Soyee said as she puts her phone back in her pocket. "I texted the President to be excused for today's work so that I can tour you around."

I reacted and bowed a lot, even shaking her hands as an addition. Soyee just nodded, motioning me to follow her as we began the tour.

Usually, first days of school are nerve-wrecking but this day was different, all thanks to giant statue Jang Sojin.

•••••

It has been weeks since the first day of school and I was back and running inside the Student Council office, doing the usual work. I sorted files, made arrangements with school activities, and attended club meetings in behalf of a busy President Hana.

Usually, the last of my work would be sorting student files, mainly the fresmen's files. I arranged them neatly and placed them in the drawer. That sums up my work for today but I didn't want to go home yet. I went back to the folders and went to get Sally's folder.

I kept on gazing at her Chinese name as my mouth and tongue worked its way to pronounce it. "She...Xie...Shaning..."

"It's Xiening, Soyee. Jesus..." President Hana came inside. "It's weird. You know basic Chinese yet you can't pronounce her name right."

"Can't you see I'm trying?" I batted.

"Yeah, you are." She just nodded. "Speaking of Xiening, how is she? I hope she adjusted well after you gave her a tour."

How could I forget that? It was a heavenly day for me. I was shocked when she asked me. Well, she did have the right to ask. She was new after all. But all the same, my subconscience was giddy that I got to tour Sally around campus as I got to know her more, from her hobbies to the fact that she wasn't Mandarin but she was Cantonese.

And I loved how pretty she looked. She was a goddess from China...my Xieningsus...

*ack*

"Yah!" I yelled, feeling that sting.

"You just dazed, Jang Sojin! What gives?" Hana batted.

"Nothing..." I mumbled.

"She likes the Chinese freshman." Sejeong coughed.

"Shut up, you ert." I batted at her.

"Language." Hana said.

Just then, a knock makes its way. Hana opened the door and there was a frantic Jung Mimi, a junior.

"What is it, Mimi?" Hana asked.

"Ch-Chinese freshman...bullied..." She stuttered.

I sighed of the fact that Jung Mimi was timid and had a speech disability but hearing her stutters, I went towards her and asked. "Where?"

"Quadrangle...by the quadrangle..." She mumbled.

I stormed past her and ran towards the quadrangle. I saw a crowd that I hastily ran towards it as the students gasped and made way for me. I saw the commotion and a vein just popped in my head. I went in between this madness and got Sally out of it. I faced the motherers.

"What are you doing bullying a freshman?!" 

"What's your ing business, VP Internal?!" Their leader batted at me. "Buzz off!"

I flexed my knuckles. "You're telling me to buzz off?"

Her two sidekicks ran for their lives and the leader cussed at them for being wussies. I faced the leader, clenching her collar. "Bully the Chinese freshman or anyone else and I'll send your to expulsion. And don't act all tough because I can and I will do that!!" I pinched her neck, hitting a nerve. "Get the picture?"

She nodded and I put her down as she falls on the dust. Everyone applauded but I had no time for that. I saw students help Sally get up and I checked on her.

"Everyone, go back to your classes." I said.

They all obeyed and went on, leaving Sally and I. I went to help her up again but she stumbled. Luckily, my arms caught her.

And I froze as we looked at each other. I could gaze at Sally forever. But a wince from her had to disrupt my field of thought as I carried her on my back, going towards the clinic. 

It would've been closed but Haebin, a working student in the clinic, was there. She said her shift has ended but I forced ourselves in. Seeing an injured Sally, Haebin didn't bat and mended her wounds.

I just watch them as my fingers fiddled, my forehead creasing of Sally's well-being. As Haebin finished, I nod as a thank you for Haebin and went to Sally.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes, I'm fine..." Sally nodded. "Thank you...for saving me and for carrying me here." 

"What happened? How did you become a victim of bullies here? Why didn't you report to the Student Council? To me?"

I had to bat my questions because I was worried sick of this freshman. Then again, she might have some reason why she couldn't say anything. With being new and all, she didn't know much on how things run in this school. 

What the did I just say to her on that tour?! I should've spared every detail!

"I was bullied for money. They always take my money since I got here." Sally sniffled. "I couldn't report because nobody cared and..." She lowered her head. "...I couldn't tell you because I thought I would bother you. Students would say that the Student Council is busy and has no time to be a landline to students' problems..."

"Those idiots say sometimes but doesn't mean we can't be there for the students." I said, patting her shoulder then facing her. "Next time, if you have problems, tell me, okay? I'll be at the office if you need me. Don't keep it to yourself because sooner or later, I'll. But in order to minimize casualties, you tell me right away! And I mean it!"

"Y-Yes, Sojin-ssi-"

"Call me Soyee." I said.

She nodded again. I check on her again if she can walk and she assures me. Nonetheless, I walked with her slowly as we intend to call it a day and go home.

During the walk, I initiate conversation. "Why did you call me by my real name?"

"Because it sounds cute, just like you." She smiled despite of the cut by her lip.

I tell my subconscience to calm the down but I couldn't believe she called me cute. I couldn't hold my smile.

"Thanks...but if you like to call me by my last name, I can't call you of yours." I sighed. "I know basic Chinese but I can't pronounce your name." I had to ask. "How do pronounce your name anyways?"

So much for our course of getting to know each other. In my case, it sounded too childish. But then, we stopped by to sit by the benches as we continued talking.

"It's Xiening. Xie..." She began.

"Xie..." I spoke.

"Ning..." Sally said.

"Ning." I repeated.

"Say it." Sally said.

"Xiening..." I spoke and she clapped lightly. "Xiening. Liu Xiening."

I did a victory dance in my head as 'We are the Champions' played. I can't believe this! I finally got it!!

"Say it again." She smiled at me.

"Xiening." I said while smiling.

"You got it!" Sally cheered.

We laughed lightly and got back up to go home.

•••••

My subconscience was dancing as I got to see my statue in shining armor, Jang Sojin, Soyee.

Being a victim was harsh but I was eternally grateful for Sojin to save my Chinese from those motherers. She even had to carry me to the clinic and give me money for a bus fare. She was a heroine. She was MY heroine.

We got to the exit and we would be separating ways. I could sulk lightly. I didn't want her to go yet.

"Well, see you when I see you, Xiening." Sojin said.

"I'll see you at the office, right?" I asked and she nodded. "I might visit soon."

"Uhh...okay..." She nodded and she looked adorable. 

"See you when I see you too, Sojin." I smiled.

She gave me that hot grin. "I shall count the moments...till then..."

"As well I, VP Internal." I answered.

We shared our laughs and we separate ways. As I walked towards a bus stop, I couldn't hold my grin and the little admiration towards the giant statue.

I was so happy. And the best that I will never forget about her is this...

She finally got my name right.

===

That was the fourth, everyone. I could thank the reader for requesting this. I had fun writing this.

Next is Mimi and Sally so stay tuned!